Melges 24 & Melges 20 - Same rudder spacing?

I bought a single pin for the Melges 24 and I'm wondering if the Melges 20 uses the exact same gudgeon spacing and the same pin can be used for both.  Does anybody know?  I guess I could also ask Melges.

Thanks...so is the Melges 24 technically.  I bought a single pin for the M24 and thought that I could buy the same pin again for the M20 but it turns out the M20 is further apart than the M24 so no dice.

• 2 weeks later...

Gudgeons and pintels, plus rudder straps are all the same dimension, on both boats (half inch - 0.5"). Have not measured the distance between upper and lower gudgeons however and unsure if they vayr between the M20 and M24. My experience is that most stick to the two pin set up - upper - lower - but the single pin makes a lot of sense for reasons of rigidity. You will need to lift the tiller up very high on the Melges 20, which is not easy as it's often below the bridle set up attaching to the end of the boom - if you want to insert a single pin. If you can easily disconnect the tiller - piece of piss. Be very careful using stainless steel pins/single pin as this can cause much wear on the gudgeons (on the transom of the boat) and straps (rudder). stainless on stainless = wear. Brass for the pins (single pin) is the better solution, we have found. Also to note, I have no idea if the one pin set up is allowed under class rules. 

I think you would have trouble getting the rudder high enough to pull out a single pin with the bridle.

3 hours ago, richiec said:

Gudgeons and pintels, plus rudder straps are all the same dimension, on both boats (half inch - 0.5"). Have not measured the distance between upper and lower gudgeons however and unsure if they vayr between the M20 and M24. My experience is that most stick to the two pin set up - upper - lower - but the single pin makes a lot of sense for reasons of rigidity. You will need to lift the tiller up very high on the Melges 20, which is not easy as it's often below the bridle set up attaching to the end of the boom - if you want to insert a single pin. If you can easily disconnect the tiller - piece of piss. Be very careful using stainless steel pins/single pin as this can cause much wear on the gudgeons (on the transom of the boat) and straps (rudder). stainless on stainless = wear. Brass for the pins (single pin) is the better solution, we have found. Also to note, I have no idea if the one pin set up is allowed under class rules. 

I asked Harry Melges as I was in the middle of selling him skis for his daughter and he told me that the M20 gudgeons are actually further apart so the same pin won't work...bummer.  

I bit fortuitous that this thread started up again today as I finally put the single pin in the gudgeons today and it didn't quite work.  It's really close but there is a small about of tweaking needed to get the alignment correct.