AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

4 minutes ago, porthos said:

The RRS confirm that there is no end date to the Match (A2.3(b)). 3/21 is just the last reserve day.

Can you kindly point to where this is on a document. I’m not saying your wrong, would like to read it myself. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

Match conditions:

"Monday 15 March to If the Match is not completed prior to 15 March then racing will
Sunday 21 March (incl) continue every day until completion."

"These Match Conditions may only be amended with the agreement of COR and RNZYS."

3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Can you kindly point to where this is on a document. I’m not saying your wrong, would like to read it myself. 

https://docs.google.com/a/acofficials.org/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=YWNvZmZpY2lhbHMub3JnfGFjMzYtb2ZmaWNpYWwtbm90aWNlYm9hcmR8Z3g6NjBmNjdmN2I5MzUyZmQwOA

Page 30 (which is Appendix A), Rule A2.3(b).

8 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

NOR:

"Monday 15 March to If the Match is not completed prior to 15 March then racing will
Sunday 21 March (incl) continue every day until completion."

"These Match Conditions may only be amended with the agreement of COR and RNZYS."

That’s an alternative interpretation, this section is unclear I will admit. By putting a start date and a end date for the text it leaves it open for either interpretation. 

3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I see what your talking about....but this section is referring to just knockout stages not the cup

I know. It's really shitty drafting. They should never have put a provision relating to the Match in a section dealing with knockout stages. I suspect they wanted to avoid any doubt that the knockout provisions somehow affected the Match (and they do not). Nonetheless, the plain meaning of "There is no final scheduled day in the Match" is exactly what it says, regardless of where it is. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

That’s an alternative interpretation, this section is unclear I will admit. By putting a start date and a end date for the text it leaves it open for either interpretation. 

Agreed, it says "until completion" but we don't know if the last day is march 21st or not.

1 minute ago, porthos said:

I know. It's really shitty drafting. They should never have put a provision relating to the Match in a section dealing with knockout stages. Nonetheless, the plain meaning of "There is no final scheduled day in the Match" is exactly what it says.

I’ll agree the documents leave enough holes to let a lawyer drive a truck to drive through 

2 minutes ago, porthos said:

I know. It's really shitty drafting. They should never have put a provision relating to the Match in a section dealing with knockout stages. Nonetheless, the plain meaning of "There is no final scheduled day in the Match" is exactly what it says.

Yes.

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Agreed, it says "until completion" but we don't know if the last day is march 21st or not.

It’s a difficult situation at the moment. We all want to see an America’s Cup race done a fair and proper manner. However most Kiwis do not want to race under level 3. The reason why we have had few death and haven’t had  massive economic damage is due to high compliance by the population. We have reaped the benefits of working with Government and cooperating with what is requested. There are a few idiots who don’t but they are in the minority. 
Even if we lose the cup is worth the cost by keeping our population safe. I know it’s frustrating to overseas fans but dealing with the Virus is more important than any sporting event. 

• Like 5

By my reading (happy to be corrected) LR wanted the 120 hr Measure-in deadlines to follow whatever delays happen to ‘the first scheduled race date’ but ETNZ refused? And that maybe a ‘compromise’ was reached, on sail declarations? 

https://qbnoxrpwoa4367c43qcjn7p2pe-adwhj77lcyoafdy-www-oasport-it.translate.goog/2021/03/americas-cup-luna-rossa-muove-gli-avvocati-come-azione-di-disturbo-sulle-operazioni-di-stazza/?refresh_ce

9 minutes ago, mako23 said:

It’s a difficult situation at the moment. We all want to see an America’s Cup race done a fair and proper manner. However most Kiwis do not want to race under level 3. The reason why we have had few death and haven’t had  massive economic damage is due to high compliance by the population. We have reaped the benefits of working with Government and cooperating with what is requested. There are a few idiots who don’t but they are in the minority. 
Even if we lose the cup is worth the cost by keeping our population safe. I know it’s frustrating to overseas fans but dealing with the Virus is more important than any sporting event.

We don't have the same point of view regarding the way to deal with the virus, but we have a common objective of seeing the AC, I think we will see it, in the last case CoR and D will agree to race at an another time. None want to botch the process IMO.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jaysper said:

Umm, sorry but you cannot take a single post out of context.

You need to go back further to understand the full gist.

My argument is AGAINST the lockdowns period.

My point was that the US & UK instigated lockdowns and still ended up fucked.

Oh, no, you're mistaken. I understood your position. My argument is that the US and UK "lock-downs" were useless examples of such. Hence the current debacle of fucking both the economy and health. The US is STILL allowing returning travellers to quarantine at home voluntarily.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

We don't have the same point of view regarding the way to deal with the virus, but we have a common objective of seeing the AC, I think we will see it, in the last case CoR and D will agree to race at an another time. None want to botch the process IMO.

Im sure some sensible agreement should be breached. The big problem for LR is that as time drags on things start getting windy around the harbour. All bullshit aside I don’t think the Italians will be competitive over 16 knots.

The problem is that we have proportional voting which means that small parties always seem part of the government. The Greens are in coalition with the main party called labour. The greens have only a few members of parliament but never in NZ history has such a groups of scummy communists had some influence of power. As avowed anti capitalists they hate the AC and they will do all they can to stop a rich mans sport happening.  Out of petty hate and jealousy they will try and keep racing not happening. 

maybe we should all come back next Christmas if COVID is over. Every one just puts their boats in shrink wrap and left untouched until November.  Every one is allowed a new foil set and one new boom. LR automatically goes into the Prada Cup final. The yanks and brits fight over the last place in the prada cup final.  Seems totally fair unless your an Italian 

12 minutes ago, mako23 said:

maybe we should all come back next Christmas if COVID is over.

Yeah that's not going to happen. ETNZ barely have the payroll money for more than a week or so delay. Just think of the staff wage bill per week - they're employing a hundred plus people.....

25 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Im sure some sensible agreement should be breached. The big problem for LR is that as time drags on things start getting windy around the harbour. All bullshit aside I don’t think the Italians will be competitive over 16 knots.

The problem is that we have proportional voting which means that small parties always seem part of the government. The Greens are in coalition with the main party called labour. The greens have only a few members of parliament but never in NZ history has such a groups of scummy communists had some influence of power. As avowed anti capitalists they hate the AC and they will do all they can to stop a rich mans sport happening.  Out of petty hate and jealousy they will try and keep racing not happening. 

maybe we should all come back next Christmas if COVID is over. Every one just puts their boats in shrink wrap and left untouched until November.  Every one is allowed a new foil set and one new boom. LR automatically goes into the Prada Cup final. The yanks and brits fight over the last place in the prada cup final.  Seems totally fair unless your an Italian 

Yes, the greens are completely disconnected from reality and try to block everything wherever they are, let's hope they are not many enough to derail the AC.

• Downvote 1
8 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah that's not going to happen. ETNZ barely have the payroll money for more than a week or so delay. Just think of the staff wage bill per week - they're employing a hundred plus people.....

I’m sure your correct, money is always the most important factor. 

3 hours ago, winchfodder said:

LSD are very righteous in their latest editorial, offering to correct the messaging of all the "confused and clunky......scribes", like us Anarchists I guess.

So they declare " If, due to wind or virus, in the unlikely scenario, neither team has reached 7 wins by the end of racing on March 21, then whoever has the most wins takes the America’s Cup. In the event of a tie score, then whoever won the most recent race would take it."

Well, I think we are all agreed that the Match will run until the last man standing or the first to seven wins. 

https://www.livesaildie.com/americas-cup-what-happens-now/

LSD have taken our points on board and have now modified their editorial to align themselves with our view!

"If, due to wind or virus, in the unlikely scenario, neither team has reached 7 wins by the end of racing on March 21, then it keeps going. This is different to the Prada Cup, which had a final scheduled day. There is also no tie-breaker in the America’s Cup Match!"

16 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

LSD have taken our points on board and have now modified their editorial to align themselves with our view!

"If, due to wind or virus, in the unlikely scenario, neither team has reached 7 wins by the end of racing on March 21, then it keeps going. This is different to the Prada Cup, which had a final scheduled day. There is also no tie-breaker in the America’s Cup Match!"

Lol that's gold. Awesome journalisting...

1 hour ago, mako23 said:

Do commies wear red socks?

17 hours ago, Forourselves said:

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/1141_DECLARATION-TIME?fbclid=IwAR0DHZ9iPiLwJq5cX-SSO4geRts1ujjbM8Q1_0o-nbSVbw_ENCBksheW_mc

DECLARATION TIME

Monday 1 March at 16:03 local time was the deadline for both teams to define and finalise the configuration of their boats for the Match. With that deadline now passed, both teams will have laid out precisely the boat that they will use for the series with specific details on all the key areas such as the hull, rig, foils and many other areas of the boat including its precise weight

17 hours ago, mako23 said:

I think locking down the design now is the best thing to do. This means no team will be advantaged or disadvantaged by the lock down and delay in racing.

Would make the butt hole a bit twitchy I'd think going out training each day though, if you break something it's got the potential to cause you some big issues.

5 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Just for the record, Melbourne had a real lockdown last winter.  Only allowed to leave your house for one of four reasons, a night time curfew, could only travel up to 5 km from home, no on-site school etc etc. We went from >700 cases a day and an exponential growth rate to zero in about three months.  Whatever one thinks of the politics, it worked.

Agreed it worked a treat, but just for the record Dan Andrews is the fucking arsonist who lit the fire. He's no hero for putting it out. He's a lying sack of shit who still refuses to accept any responsibility for his governments mistakes of which there are many. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, The Advocate said:

Critical thinker, I listen to a lot of opinions to form my own. You seem really bent up about a black female having an opinion.

You're the one that bought skin colour into it. Do you do casual racism in weekends too?

1 hour ago, Flippin Out said:

Would make the butt hole a bit twitchy I'd think going out training each day though, if you break something it's got the potential to cause you some big issues.

They can repair or replace any broken component. But their opponents also get the option of replacing the same component whether or not it's broken.

Better than that poor deflection of your skin colour obsessed world view. Just leave identity politics out of arguments, eh chump?

1 hour ago, Barnyb said:

"They" say that there's a Kiwi camera that can do 120 knots...   ;)

4 hours ago, winchfodder said:

You’re welcome LSD. 

21 hours ago, Forourselves said:

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/1141_DECLARATION-TIME?fbclid=IwAR0DHZ9iPiLwJq5cX-SSO4geRts1ujjbM8Q1_0o-nbSVbw_ENCBksheW_mc

DECLARATION TIME

Monday 1 March at 16:03 local time was the deadline for both teams to define and finalise the configuration of their boats for the Match. With that deadline now passed, both teams will have laid out precisely the boat that they will use for the series with specific details on all the key areas such as the hull, rig, foils and many other areas of the boat including its precise weight

I might be missing something. but I really don't get the stringency of the measurements. How long do they take?

Why can't it be done each morning of racing? 

To have three foil packages and then to have to gamble on one at the start of a regatta seems backward. You want the best setup for the conditions and this just points to either going conservative or picking an option and hoping you get lucky with the weather. Neither of these is good for racing outcome, and by delaying the start of the regatta but not the mesaurement the chances of this have increased.

You wouldn't see F1 cars racing in the rain with their slick tyres.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Just for the record, Melbourne had a real lockdown last winter.  Only allowed to leave your house for one of four reasons, a night time curfew, could only travel up to 5 km from home, no on-site school etc etc. We went from >700 cases a day and an exponential growth rate to zero in about three months.  Whatever one thinks of the politics, it worked.

Thanks, you're right. And it confirms that a strict lockdown works. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, shebeen said:

Why can't it be done each morning of racing? 

To have three foil packages and then to have to gamble on one at the start of a regatta seems backward. You want the best setup for the conditions and this just points to either going conservative or picking an option and hoping you get lucky with the weather. Neither of these is good for racing outcome, and by delaying the start of the regatta but not the mesaurement the chances of this have increased.

You wouldn't see F1 cars racing in the rain with their slick tyres.

Because you don't see Sydney to Hobart boats picking which keel and measurement certificate to use the day before depending on the forecast (trust me some of them do have multiple).    Currently any well prepared campaign has the possibility to win major events, but if the precedent is set of picking major components of the boat depending of the forecast, then only campaigns with huge budgets will win.   If you can swap foils, then why not keels or even hulls?  Perhaps WOXI could have a fat arsed Comanche-like hull sitting in the shed, ready to swap in if the forecast is suitable.

If our sport goes this way, then we will soon get into endless Ship of Theseus debates... hmmm perhaps better than debating if staying isolated from people who may be infected with a virus is or isn't an effective way to avoid catching the virus??? DUH!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, sfigone said:

Because you don't see Sydney to Hobart boats picking which keel and measurement certificate to use the day before depending on the forecast (trust me some of them do have multiple).    Currently any well prepared campaign has the possibility to win major events, but if the precedent is set of picking major components of the boat depending of the forecast, then only campaigns with huge budgets will win.   If you can swap foils, then why not keels or even hulls?  Perhaps WOXI could have a fat arsed Comanche-like hull sitting in the shed, ready to swap in if the forecast is suitable.

If our sport goes this way, then we will soon get into endless Ship of Theseus debates... hmmm perhaps better than debating if staying isolated from people who may be infected with a virus is or isn't an effective way to avoid catching the virus??? DUH!

Well said ..   Yachting has backed itself into the corner where $$$ wins ahead of talent.

Allowing boats to be reconfigured daily brings in to many variables and clouds the true result.

The winner could be the worst team with the best " kit change" on the day.

That why the best sailors sail OD and give the AC a wide berth ....

Dalton promised a cheaper more accessible AC and delivered the complete opposite.

4 minutes ago, Baconator said:

Well said ..   Yachting has backed itself into the corner where $$$ wins ahead of talent.

Allowing boats to be reconfigured daily brings in to many variables and clouds the true result.

The winner could be the worst team with the best " kit change" on the day.

That why the best sailors sail OD and give the AC a wide berth ....

Dalton promised a cheaper more accessible AC and delivered the complete opposite.

You argue for, and then you argue against.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, winchfodder said:

3 hours ago, JJD said:

You’re welcome LSD. 

Just need Magnus to be enlightened now! 

Come on Magnus, keep up with the programme. 

"The hard stop is the 21st March and the Italians have been clear about sticking to the schedule so the boat leading after the 21st March wins the Cup. That’s it. Winner declared. The Auld Mug either stays in the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron or trips off to the Circolo della Vela in Sicily."

https://rule69blog.wordpress.com/2021/03/02/finezza/

41 minutes ago, sfigone said:

ok we're talking of extremes here. Maybe i should have broken it down, and let's just talk foils.

. in Bermuda there were two sets of foils IIRC. so you could have a competitive boat across wind ranges. i don't see why you can change sails but not select from your set of 3 foils. surely it is harder (and more expensive) to modify the chosen foil set than swap it out.

Here's my hypothetical scenario...we end up with some light wind and prada sweeps it and there's nothing ETNZ can do with their tiny foils.

that's hardly an exciting proposition for the neutral fans.

(and the example with the sydney to hobart is great, but obviously that's a handicap race and the AC is a development class. not exactly the same thing.)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mako23 said:

scummy communists

Reminds me why I have you on iggy for the last half year

My sincere apologies @mauriciogfj, I quoted from your reply as I don't see or quote this pos...I will attempt to hide my reply which attributed this bit of turd to you.

21 minutes ago, shebeen said:

ok we're talking of extremes here. Maybe i should have broken it down, and let's just talk foils

But I don't think it is extremes.  Once you allow multiple measurement certificates either for class compliance or for handicapping, then you are immediately into Ship of Theseus territory with budget being the only limit to what you can exchange.   I know there were definitely Farr 40 campaigns with multiple hulls, which were mostly selected for by geographic location... but if the measurement certificate can be changed on a daily basis during a regatta, then why not pick which hull is best for the day. 

So unless foils are handled like a sail ie the whole wardrobe is considered in the certificate, then they shouldn't be swappable.   But I guess it is feasible to have a single measurement that includes all the foil wardrobe.  

14 minutes ago, sfigone said:

I know there were definitely Farr 40 campaigns with multiple hulls, which were mostly selected for by geographic location... but if the measurement certificate can be changed on a daily basis during a regatta, then why not pick which hull is best for the day. 

WTF

15 minutes ago, sfigone said:

So unless foils are handled like a sail ie the whole wardrobe is considered in the certificate, then they shouldn't be swappable.   But I guess it is feasible to have a single measurement that includes all the foil wardrobe.  

I think they should be allowed to do exactly that, with limits. Say 3 to 5 sets they can choose from between races, not between days. Make action between the races.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, The Advocate said:

My location is a Lat/Long.

My sincere apologies, I will type slower for you next time so you can better understand I am referencing the Australian experience. I didn't specifically say I live in Australia, but given I said I work here, I kinda thought living here might be obvious too.

You do know that COVID is not just an NZ thing, right?

Oh. Where did you say you worked in Aus? I missed that bit.

1 hour ago, sfigone said:

Do you have something against aircraft carriers?  :D

37 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Who looks better? 

Luna Rossa looks definitely better. She's a beauty. :)  I don't know which one is faster, though.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, sfigone said:

But I don't think it is extremes.  Once you allow multiple measurement certificates either for class compliance or for handicapping, then you are immediately into Ship of Theseus territory with budget being the only limit to what you can exchange.   I know there were definitely Farr 40 campaigns with multiple hulls, which were mostly selected for by geographic location... but if the measurement certificate can be changed on a daily basis during a regatta, then why not pick which hull is best for the day. 

in Bermuda AC35 teams had two sets of foils/daggerboards - in general a light wind and heavy wind option. the crossover where you moved to the smaller one was obviously different for each team. i don't think this changed the measurement certificate, although obviously the light wind set was larger/heavier.

I know here in AC36 the foils have got a lot more going into it, but surely it would be possible to swap out overnight - i might have this bit totally wrong.

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Luna Rossa looks definitely better. She's a beauty. :)  I don't know which one is faster, though.

Difficult call. 

I read that Tina is now trying to get the Government to agree to racing under Level 3. Hypocrisy or what!

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

I should have phrased that a different way, left myself wide open for that one mate :lol:

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Difficult call. 

I read that Tina is now trying to get the Government to agree to racing under Level 3. Hypocrisy or what!

2078917501_onoreedispetto.thumb.jpg.89a9e157dc5750efbe7b0cff15fe6efe.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Difficult call. 

Actually she's just doing her job, at last: try to have the event happening. Better later than never, the path toward redemption is steep but doable. ;)

• Like 4

Back to normal. I was getting to think that LR was looking like a real challenge for ETNZ.

Appears ETNZ have found their own Herbie, not allowed aboard this time though. 

Sailing against an AI Bot. Surprised they have let the news out so soon. The poor old frackers will be asking Mercedes what on earth they were up to with all that money. 

I love GD's comment. "Probably does not exist in these other organisations." You bet.

• Like 1

I can just imagine Pete Burling and the guys coming back to base after a long day on the water to be told ‘the bot beat you!’ Yes, that would be an interesting conversation. 

• Like 1

I'd be trying to hook the bot up to the chase boat they train against, using the simulator to "limit it" and thus do two boat testing without two boats :p 

10 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I'd be trying to hook the bot up to the chase boat they train against, using the simulator to "limit it" and thus do two boat testing without two boats :p 

Would be interesting if they could let the Bot take control of TR rudder and foils whilst they were out practising. 

I wonder what nickname they have given the Bot. Tina maybe?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I’m sure they’re doing all kinds of interesting stuff that we won’t hear about until after the Final, if at all. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I’m sure they’re doing all kinds of interesting stuff that we won’t hear about until after the Final, if at all. 

Not even then?  We will have to wait for a retirement and a podcast?  Even then there will be secrets not shared.  I really hope Glen does a podcast/ writes a book?

Any information from the practising the past few days whether TR is trying out two helms, ala LR? Seems they should at least experiment with it. It sure looked like a critical ingredient for LR beating INEOS and you would not want to let that advantage slip by you if you have the time to work it out.

Just now, Kiwing said:

Not even then?  We will have to wait for a retirement and a podcast?  Even then there will be secrets not shared.  I really hope Glen does a podcast/ writes a book?

I suspect you’re right. The intellectual property and human capital assembled by ETNZ must now be very valuable. 

1 minute ago, TheDragon said:

Any information from the practising the past few days whether TR is trying out two helms, ala LR? Seems they should at least experiment with it. It sure looked like a critical ingredient for LR beating INEOS and you would not want to let that advantage slip by you if you have the time to work it out.

I would think that they’ve thought this through long and hard. And for sure, they will have a plan. But we’re not going to see it beforehand like that ‘no look gybe’ in Bermuda. Maybe the bot has suggested a cunning plan :lol:

38 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I suspect you’re right. The intellectual property and human capital assembled by ETNZ must now be very valuable. 

Maybe that is why they are releasing the AI (Tina) Bot video now to increase the price.

5 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Maybe that is why they are releasing the AI (Tina) Bot video now to increase the price.

I would think that having McKinsey aboard is for future value creation. Methinks the release of the bot is to gently persuade a helmet adjustment for JS and FB. 

20 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

BTW, speaking of Tina, what’s she plotting now?

I do hope the Handbags have increased their syndicate base security Tina Tuna has a proven track record of sabotage ie assisting Fagin Fay and Co to get their dibs on a chunk of Telecom 1990 and pictured here dealing to Oracle in Bermuda with the resulting damage shown below.

Large_TNZ1.thumb.jpg.17c37fd6433259fa293796407308497c.jpgyysw210805.jpg.d113db03ddc43d6c4c5003ecf43483b4.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I do hope the Handbags have increased their syndicate base security Tina Tuna has a proven track record of sabotage ie assisting Fagan Fay and Co to get their dibs on a chunk of Telecom 1990 and dealing to Oracle in Bermuda..

Large_TNZ1.thumb.jpg.17c37fd6433259fa293796407308497c.jpgyysw210805.jpg.d113db03ddc43d6c4c5003ecf43483b4.jpg

She’s probably looking for a new coat. 

18 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Her next job?

She will probably write an updated version of "How to Make Friends and Influence People"
The sparkling wine shot would make a good cover.

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Any information from the practising the past few days whether TR is trying out two helms, ala LR?

Looking at the various videos of TR training over the last two days, they appear to be practising tight turns with no-one crossing - pre-starts?

10 hours ago, strider470 said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 

4 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

True but there’s no denying that LR is a beauty and looks very smooth. 

Agreed.  LR just look smoother.  Reminds me of how ETNZ's 2017 boat looked in light to moderate wind.  This time round ETNZ looks like it's more on the edge.