AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Strider, I hope you didn’t lock us all out for not being kinder to LR :wub:

I used my influence with the moderators to end the global ban. But I'm told that at the first post claiming 60 kts the next one will be even longer :D

• Like 3

Wow fuck that sucked having to inhabit the real world for 24 hours. 

It's Dalton doing. First he banished the NZ Herald for overusing videos, and secretly measuring  speed with radar guns. Then SA crashes the day after @Salty Seacock claims a 57 knot run and every video ever is plastered on SA. Thy Lords wrath maybe. Or its the Russians. 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, strider470 said:

AA - Anarchist Anonymous
Hi, My name is Strider470 and I'm an Anarchist. I'm offline since March 04.

(Everybody in chorus) : Hi Strider :) 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

What the fuck happened?????  This site crashed during the most important time in 4 years lol.

Just imagine this happening next week... :wacko:

Update:

1. Racing Wednesday

2. Auckland down to level 2 Sunday Morning (racing on Wednesday under level 2)

3. Auckland to level 1 maybe Friday (next)

4. SA crashes

5. Very productive day for many after SA crashes

6. NZ had a series of earthquakes (well actually the Kermadec's - Nth East NZ) Friday morning. Biggest one 8.1 (which is a big quake)

7. Coastal areas of NZ put on watch Friday, some had to evacuate.

8 Mozzy's latest vid is a bit scary for LR fans.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Barnyb said:

Update:

1. Racing Wednesday

2. Auckland down to level 2 Sunday Morning (racing on Wednesday under level 2)

3. Auckland to level 1 maybe Friday (next)

4. SA crashes

5. Very productive day for many after SA crashes

6. NZ had a series of earthquakes (well actually the Kermadec's - Nth East NZ) Friday morning. Biggest one 8.1 (which is a big quake)

7. Coastal areas of NZ put on watch Friday, some had to evacuate.

Glad you’re all safe n well in Auckland and we’re back to moaning. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Nah,  we’re more scared by the last rumor about Te Rehutai hitting 100 knots ;) 

4 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Nah,  we’re more scared by the last rumor about Te Rehutai hitting 100 knots ;) 

Thats max speed in REVERSE! You should see what they do going FORWARD.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 11:45 PM, MaxHugen said:

My birthday today, and my lovely sister and her mega cool Kiwi husband got me an awesome AC T-shirt!

Woo-hoo. :P

A belated happy birthday too :D !!! (Grrr, the forum outage prevented timely wishes.)

6 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

A belated happy birthday too :D !!! (Grrr, the forum outage prevented timely wishes.)

Thanks Renni!  I'm just getting over no-SAAC withdrawal symptoms!  :P

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Now that explains why INEOS are involved ..... they can put their own fleet of tankers on foils. Well spotted Barnyb. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

That's impressive control in gusty conditions. Sail it like a dinghy! And have to pull something off the port foil at the end?

2 hours ago, strider470 said:

I heard the tsunami was in fact Te Rehutai stopping sandbagging  :wacko:

The waves were not big enough, given the amount of sand chucked overboard...

6 minutes ago, coercivity said:

Memory map says no or little wing for an entire week after Wednesday.

Could be interesting for the CZ even.

Wind limit is about 6 knots, so they will just shit can the races.

but a start then a slide down in pressure could be a tricky bit of work for the CZ. its about the time limit.

GD stated a few days ago that it's going to be windy, whos wrong???  

I heard the Kiwis are going to try the dual helmsman configuration with Peter on port and Chuck Norris on starboard, to kick Jimmy's ass

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I heard the Kiwis are going to try the dual helmsman configuration with Peter on port and Chuck Norris on starboard, to kick Jimmy's ass

Chuck Norris counted to infinity twice.

25 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Chuck Norris counted to infinity twice.

27 minutes ago, strider470 said:

taken in contention with Colin meads, Buck Shelford and Ritchie Mcaw chuck alas fades to insignificance, there is however another very likely candidate shown here holding out for port helm postion, a few also rans were determined to be possibly carrying too much imbedded metal to be allowed anywhere near a  steering compass

cindy.jpeg

c2.jpg

Mozzy's latest video is a bit rambling. Yet it does come down to asserting ETNZ has around 1.7% more righting moment and 10% less foil drag (with the tips piercing the surface) which should give them a nice little speed gain between 1.5 and 2 knots upwind.

They argue that the flat T foil (compared with LR anhedral) allows them to swing the arm out at a shallower angle so it is further extended from the hull increasing righting moment.

• Like 1
Just now, winchfodder said:

Mozzy's latest video is a bit rambling. Yet it does come down to asserting ETNZ has around 1.7% more righting moment and 10% less foil drag (with the tips piercing the surface) which should give them a nice little speed gain between 1.5 and 2 knots upwind.

They argue that the flat T foil (compared with LR anhedral) allows them to swing the arm out at a shallower angle so it is further extended from the hull increasing righting moment.

A bit rambly????

In one of the two Shirley R podcasts at here that I listened to yesterday, somebody pointed out (probably ETNZ’s Ray Davies?) that if one of these AC75’s is in a knot more wind pressure than the other boat, well then they will be sailing close to 4 knots faster! 

Enjoyed both segments, Part 1 and 2, some good listening - maybe especially Francesco. 

https://yachtracing.life/americas-cup-shirley-robertson-previews-the-36th-match/

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

In one of the two Shirley R podcasts at here that I listened to yesterday, somebody pointed out (probably ETNZ’s Ray Davies?) that if one of these AC75’s is in a knot more wind pressure than the other boat, well then they will be sailing close to 4 knots faster! 

Enjoyed both segments, Part 1 and 2, some good listening - maybe especially Francesco. 

https://yachtracing.life/americas-cup-shirley-robertson-previews-the-36th-match/

Agreed! Shirley's interviews are fucking awesome! These two hours have been a great listen this weekend.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Which is why they are shit for MR.

While in irons, I looked at the revised schedule. If next Wednesday is blown up, there are no lay days for the rest of the match once racing starts on Friday. Possibly 7 days in a row. Keeping things in one piece will be critical! 

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

As a very rough approximation, the boats are achieving about 2.2 times TWS upwind, and close to 3x downwind.  Still, a team being able to position the boat to take advantage of gusts &/or wind direction changes is a big deal in terms of potential VMG advantage.

33 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

While in irons, I looked at the revised schedule. If next Wednesday is blown up, there are no lay days for the rest of the match once racing starts on Friday. Possibly 7 days in a row. Keeping things in one piece will be critical! 

4 days. Once NZ wins the first 7, they will stop racing.

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/1150_SHIRLEY-ROBERTSON-PREVIEWS-THE-36TH-AMERICA-S-CUP-PRESENTED-BY-PRADA-PART-2

This 2nd part of Shirley's podcast is fantastic! Ken Read is amazingly frank in regards to the American Magic campaign, and Freddie Carr is also brutally honest about the INEOS campaign.

• Like 1

Somewhat off-topic,  but came across some awesome drone footage from the last Volvo Ocean Race:

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Somewhat off-topic,  but came across some awesome drone footage from the last Volvo Ocean Race:

Wow

Great interview by Andrea Falcon and Alberto Mariotti to Horacio Carabelli (Co-design coordinator) Alessandro Franceschetti (Head of structural engineering) Alessandra Pandarese (COR lawyer) and Antonio Vettese (journalist, former LR press officer). The fisrt part is with Carabelli and Franceschetti, second one with Pandarese and Vettese .I post it here since it's about Te Rehutai as well. 

Firts Part : Horacio and Alessandro

- Q: can you give us a sort of "identikit" of the two boats, LR and TR

A: LR and TR have similar skegs, but they have very different decks layout. Both boats have cockpits, but the NZ ones are more confining. Another big difference is about foils. LR have anhedral foils, while TR have T foils. 

- Q: What are the consequences of this different foil designs ? LR much better light winds and TR in stronger winds? 

A : Since the main difference is the foil area, there are different optimal wind speed ranges. LR has an edge in the light breeze, while TR have a gap in that range, but they're better with strong winds. Anyway, we're pretty confident the speed will be very similar even in strong wind conditions, so we feel we can win races also in that range.

- Q: We saw that in the first two races with Ineos LR was really fast, despite the strong breeze. Is it true that you improved a lot in the highest wind range ? 

- A : Yes, we improved a lot. We made some aerodynamic improvement to the package, sometimes small modifications can bring big gains. We improved also the performances in the maneuvers, and got the boat to be a lot more stable during the flight. 

Alessandro adds that the teams had different approaches : LR was designed for medium/light air, and they're trying to cover the upper wind limit. from what he can see, Te Rehutai instead was designed to be super fast in the upper wind range and they're trying to get better in the lower conditions by training. However, they (LR) feel really strong also in the upper wind range, and the overall stability of the boat has improved

- Q : Looking at the hulls, what are the ETNZ and LRPP main strong points?

A : Due to their crew arrangement ETNZ can lower the deck. They gained 3/4 square meters of mainsail, and allowed them to move the center of effort of the mainsail. In that position, however, the crew is less confortable trimming the sails and during maneuvers.

Alessandro adds that the Kiwis still have to move three people, and in a tacking duel that could be a great disadvantage

- Q : Did ETNZ try the double helmsmen configuration, at least for the pre-start?

A: They're changing something, but we don't have any confirmation about that

- Q : What are the main differences between T foils and anhedral foils?

A: T foils have a longer boot section, so they have more drag, but at the same time allows you to make the piercing with the tip of the foil out of the water.

Alessandro adds that with the anhedral foils the outboard wing can be dedicated to the lift, while the inboard wing provides some lift but can also manage the leeway. LR foils are more efficient, since the entire surface produces lift or controls the leeway, while on Te Rehutai the small section between the bulb and the foil arm ---- silence, Alessandro talks but there's no audio until at 14:13 - Max Sirena enters, audio only.

Max (joking) : I'm always watching and listening, watch out for what you say in the interview... or I'll speak with Luca Devoti. Then he ask to someone : Why am I connected now ? He appears and say hello, than he returns to do what he was doing before (edit: working or watching for what Horacio and Alessandro are saying ? :) )

- Q : Could LR copy the additional slim piece of foil arm that connect Te Rehutai foils to the foil arm ?

A: We don't want to copy it, since it would be only more drag. Foil arms are all the same, they had to add that additional component.

- Q: Who has the best package ? Who has to be worried, LR supporters or ETNZ's ?

A: We are really confident about our package, especially in a certain wind range, 14 knots and lower. LR supporters can sleep well, we have the right boat for the right wind condition.

- Q: Who improved more since the last time the two teams raced one vs the other (Auckland ACWS) ?

A: We improved a lot both aerodynamically and hydrodynamically: the foils used in the ACWS were from a previous generation, we worked a lot also on the fairings that covers the crew. We worked a lot also structurally, LR is a very critical boat in terms of weight, they worked hard to save weight and pass the measuring, and also to stay near a certain center of gravity that they thought it was ideal in a specific wind range. It's a costant development, there will be some other aero mods in the next few days to the fairings. When you declare the boat, deck and hull must stay in a certain volume, and they chose a layout that enable them to change a lot from 1.50 meters behind the mast. This allows us to keep always the developing, and this can bring you seconds, that at 30/40 knots are 273 boat lenght. ETNZ, on the contrary, can't do this, since the cockpits and the lower deck forces them not to change anything, they're stuck to that layout.

Alessandro adds that since they're challenger, they had to be flexible in their design. So they decided to design the main structure really small, much smaller than what everybody can see, so they can change a lot the hull or the deck. LR is the boat that has changed the most, and they have other upgrades on the to do list, while Te Rehutai's main structure is what you see, so they can't change a lot.

Than both Horacio and Alessandro says that LR will definetly have an advantage from having raced more.

- Q: Is it true that ETNZ can hear the comms on board LR ? Can LR hear the comms on board te Rehutai ? (edit: ????)

A: ETNZ sailed an upwind and a downwind leg just before the start of a race between LR and Ineos, to see their performance in the same wind conditions (but Alessandro adds that they were alone, without an opponent forcing them to tack or jibe). The LR ability to change mode (high or fast) upwind will be a great tool, especially in the most favourable wind range, 10-13 knots.

- Q: Is ETNZ really trying the Code 0 / the double helm configuration or these are only mind games ?

A: First time we saw the Code 0 picture, we thought it was photoshopped, since it's absolutely impossible to use a sail like that, since they don't have enough winches.

- Asked about the chase boat training, they says that's useful since you sail against a boat that have perfect VMG and always goes 100%.

- Talking about the flight controller role, H. says that one of the main things he take care of is the height of the boa, the cant angle of the foil arm, and the tip of the foils, that pierce from the water.

- Q: Is it a case that the two boomless boat face one another?

A: It is only a part of the package, but for sure it's not a case. LR could control the mainsail much better than AM or Ineos.

- Both Horacio and Alessandro highly praise Persico for the construction of the boat. If you want eight hydraulic pumps, ten cylinders inside the hull, than you need a light boat in order to pass the measurement. You need to be always pushing, that's why they broke so much B1.

Alessandro adds that B1 was key to find the limit, and boat 2 has a high reliability standard. They have small maintenance to do, also thanks to the shore team, so they can keep developing.

Sorry just edited some errors. if you find a "they" instead of "us" or "we" sorry, it's always Horacio and Alessandro speaking, but I think it will be pretty clear ;)  

Part 2 with Alessandra Pandarese coming soon 

• Like 14
15 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Great interview by Andrea Falcon and Alberto Mariotti to Horacio Carabelli (Co-design coordinator) Alessandro Franceschetti (Head of structural engineering) Alessandra Pandarese (COR lawyer) and Antonio Vettese (journalist, former LR press officer). The fisrt part is with Carabelli and Franceschetti, second one with Pandarese and Vettese .I post it here since it's about Te Rehutai as well. 

Firts Part : Horacio and Alessandro

- Q: can you give us a sort of "identikit" of the two boats, LR and TR

A: LR and TR have similar skegs, but they have very different decks layout. Both boats have cockpits, but the NZ ones are more confining. Another big difference is about foils. LR have anhedral foils, while TR have T foils. 

- Q: What are the consequences of this different foil designs ? LR much better light winds and TR in stronger winds? 

A : Since the main difference is the foil area, there are different optimal wind speed ranges. LR has an edge in the light breeze, while TR have a gap in that range, but they're better with strong winds. Anyway, they're pretty confident the speed will be very similar even in strong wind conditions, so they feel they can win races also in that range

- Q: We saw that in the first two races with Ineos LR was really fast, despite the strong breeze. Is it true that you improved a lot in the highest wind range ? 

- A : Yes, we improved a lot. We made some aerodynamic improvement to the package, sometimes small modifications can bring big gains. We improved also the performances in the maneuvers, and got the boat to be a lot more stable during the flight. 

Alessandro adds that the teams had different approaches : LR was designed for medium/light air, and they're trying to cover the upper wind limit. from what he can see, Te Rehutai instead was designed to be super fast in the upper wind range and they're trying to get better in the lower conditions by training. However, they (LR) feel really strong also in the upper wind range, and the overall stability of the boat has improved

- Q : Looking at the hulls, what are the ETNZ and LRPP main strong points?

A : Due to their crew arrangement ETNZ can lower the deck. They gained 3/4 square meters of mainsail, and allowed them to move the center of effort of the mainsail. In that position, however, the crew is less confortable trimming the sails and during maneuvers. Alessandro adds that the Kiwis still have to move three people, and in a tacking duel that could be a great disadvantage

- Q : Did ETNZ try the double helmsmen configuration, at least for the pre-start?

A: They're changing something, but they dont't have any confirmation about that

- Q : What are the main differences between T foils and anhedral foils?

A: T foils have a longer boot section, so they have more drag, but at the same time allow you to make the piercing with the tip of the foil out of the water.

Alessandro adds that with the anhedral foils the outboard wing can be dedicated to the lift, while the inboard wing provides some lift but can also manage the leeway. LR foils are more efficent, since the entire surface produces lift or controls the leeway, while on Te Rehutai the small section between the bulb and the foil arm - silence, Alessandro talks but there's no audio until at 14:13 - Max Sirena enters, audio only.

Max (joking) : I'm always watching and listening, watch out for what you say in the interviw... or I'll speak with Luca Devoti. Then he ask to someone : Why am I connected now ? Then he appears and say hello, than he returns to do what he was doing before (edit: working or watching for what Horacio and Alessandro are saying ? )

- Q : Could LR copy the additional slim piece of foil arm that connect Te Rehutai foils to the foil arm ?

A: We don't want to copy it, since it would be only more drag. Foil arms are all the same, they had to add that additional component.

- Q: Who has the best package ? Who has to be worried, LR supporters or ETNZ's ?

A: We are really confident about our package, especially in a certain wind range, 14 knots and lower. LR supporters can sleep well, we have the right boat for the right wind condition.

- Q: Who improved more since the last time the two teams raced one vs the other (Auckland ACWS) ?

A: We improved a lot both aerodynamically and hydrodynamically: the foils used in the ACWS were from a previous generation, they worked a lot also on the fairings that covers the crew. They worked a lot also structurally, LR is a very critical boat in terms of weight, they worked hard to save weight and pass the measuring, and also to stay near a certain center of gravity that they thought it was ideal in a specific wind range. It's a costant development, there will be some other aero mods in the next few days to the fairings. When you declare the boat, deck and hull must stay in a certain volume, and they chose a layout that enable them to change a lot from 1.50 meters behind the mast. This allows them to keep always the developing, and this can bring you seconds, that at 30/40 knots are 273 boat lenght. ETNZ, on the contrary, can't do this, since the cockpits and the lower deck forces them not to change anything, they're stuck to that layout.

Alessandro adds that since they're challenger, they had to be flexible in their design. So they decided to design the main structure really small, much smaller than what everybody can see, so they can change a lot the hull or the deck. LR is the boat that has changed the most, and they have other upgrades on the to do list, while Te Rehutai's main structure is what you see, so they can't change a lot.

Than both Horacio and Alessandro says that LR will definetly have an advantage from having raced more.

- Q: Is it true that ETNZ can hear the comms on board LR ? Can LR hear the comms on board te Rehutai ? (edit: ????)

A: ETNZ sailed an upwind and a downwind leg just before the start of a race between LR and Ineos, to see their performance in the same wind conditions (bit Alesandro adds that they were alone, without an opponent forcing them to tack or jibe). The LR ability to change mode (high or fast) upwind will be a great tool, especially in the most favourable wind range, 10-13 knots.

- Q: Is ETNZ really trying the Code 0 / the double helm configuration or these are only mind games ?

A: First time we saw the Code 0 picture, we thought it was photoshopped, since it's absolutely impossible to use a sail like that, since they don't have enough winches.

- Asked about the chase boat training, they says that's useful since you sail against a boat that have perfect VMG and always goes 100%.

- Talking about the flight controller role, H. says that one of the main things he take care pf is the height of the boa, the cant angle of the foil arm, and the tip of the foils, that pierce from the water.

- Q: Is it a case that the two boomless boat face one another?

A: It is only a part of the package, but for sure it's not a case. LR could control the mainsail much better than AM or Ineos.

- Both Horacio and Alessandro highly praise Persico for the construction of the boat. If you want eight hydraulic pumps, ten cylinders inside the hull, than you need a light boat in order to pass the measurement. You nedd to be always pushing, that's why they broke so much B1. Alessandro adds that B1 was key to find the limit, and boat 2 has a high reliability standard. They have small maintenance to do, also thanks to the shore team, so they can keep developing.

Part 2 with Alessandra Pandarese coming soon 

Super interesting!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Thanks for the translation Zaal. 

Must say there were a couple of parts that made me chuckle.  :D

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Thanks for the translation Zaal. 

Must say there were a couple of parts that made me chuckle.  :D

And Zaal had to slightly soften the translation to avoid being too scaring for our Kiwi friends. All the part with blood and swords is missing. ;)

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, strider470 said:

And Zaal had to slightly soften the translation to avoid being too scaring for our Kiwi friends. All the part with blood and swords is missing. ;)

We don't scare easily as we've proven especially in WWII. The Italians, otoh....:lol:

3 minutes ago, Indio said:

We don't scare easily as we've proven especially in WWII. The Italians, otoh....:lol:

In that case you are entitled to read the whole R18 translation :D

sorry, here the right version of an answer , there was stile some “they/us” issues. 

End, ehm, it was 2/3 boat lenghts, not 273

A: We improved a lot both aerodynamically and hydrodynamically: the foils used in the ACWS were from a previous generation, we worked a lot also on the fairings that covers the crew. We worked a lot also structurally, LR is a very critical boat in terms of weight, WE worked hard to save weight and pass the measuring, and also to stay near a certain center of gravity that WE thought it was ideal in a specific wind range. It's a costant development, there will be some other aero mods in the next few days to the fairings. When you declare the boat, deck and hull must stay in a certain volume, and they chose a layout that enable US to change a lot from 1.50 meters behind the mast. This allows us to keep always the developing, and this can bring you seconds, that at 30/40 knots are 273 boat lenght. ETNZ, on the contrary, can't do this, since the cockpits and the lower deck forces them not to change anything, they're stuck to that layout.

3 minutes ago, Zaal said:

sorry, here the right version of an answer , there was stile some “they/us” issues. 

End, ehm, it was 2/3 boat lenghts, not 273

A: We improved a lot both aerodynamically and hydrodynamically: the foils used in the ACWS were from a previous generation, we worked a lot also on the fairings that covers the crew. We worked a lot also structurally, LR is a very critical boat in terms of weight, WE worked hard to save weight and pass the measuring, and also to stay near a certain center of gravity that WE thought it was ideal in a specific wind range. It's a costant development, there will be some other aero mods in the next few days to the fairings. When you declare the boat, deck and hull must stay in a certain volume, and they chose a layout that enable US to change a lot from 1.50 meters behind the mast. This allows us to keep always the developing, and this can bring you seconds, that at 30/40 knots are 273 boat lenght. ETNZ, on the contrary, can't do this, since the cockpits and the lower deck forces them not to change anything, they're stuck to that layout.

Hey, you can't change things like that! I've already spent words with Indio!! I was confident with the 273 boat length advantage :D

• Like 1
Just now, strider470 said:

Hey, you can't change things like that! I've already spent words with Indio!! I was confident with the 273 boat length advantage :D

Hahahahahahahaahaha  :D

• Like 1
9 hours ago, strider470 said:

Clearly the new AC75s are so much faster than the old catamarans!

Screenshot_20210306-095335_Firefox.thumb.jpg.c44656bedc7de3a8e6a18c3606fad55b.jpg

faster yes however, that "cat" is capable of going well out beyond "A" buoy........... and staying out there........ wish the same could apply to the 75

1 minute ago, 167149 said:

faster yes however, that "cat" is capable of going well out beyond "A" buoy........... and staying out there........ wish the same could apply to the 75

Problem is when the cat is out of the bag

5 hours ago, strider470 said:

Problem is when the cat is out of the bag

Problem is when there is a Port/Startboard situation...

Italia_00.png.f3c89500ffe987eb31b303a28e095cac.png

Does LR know which is which?Italia_01.png.4cad1ae255d1b7ba31a5aa4ee568b195.png

5 minutes ago, TLA said:

Problem is when there is a Port/Startboard situation...

Italia_00.png.f3c89500ffe987eb31b303a28e095cac.png

Does LR know which is which?Italia_01.png.4cad1ae255d1b7ba31a5aa4ee568b195.png

You should ask to the umpires about that, they apparently love the risk (with somebody else boat)

• Like 1

It was a bit more than a gentle breeze today.

Even though racing was cancelled due to covid there were plenty of 30+ gusts this aftermoon. Racing would have been very unlikely. Bring on Wednesday (NZ time)

From Repubblica.it, automatically translated by Google, the article is a collection of speculations made by Kiwis and NZ medias...

Listen to The Secret Sailor, the secret sailor who made havoc in the America's Cup, and behind his mysterious identity assesses the eve of the 36th edition between Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli and Emirates Team New Zealand: "It will take something very special from Luna Rossa , or something completely unexpected, for Team New Zealand not to win the America's Cup, "he writes in the NZ Herald. "Everything is ready for the defender's triumph, which - barring mishaps or sailing miracles - should arrive within the next two weeks. They have the best sailors. They have the fastest boat. They also had access to all the challengers' data much earlier. of having to sail against the Italians from next Wednesday ". The Secret Salilor, like all sailors, knows the superstitions on a boat, but evidently, when he went ashore, he forgot about it. Or his confidence is the expression of a shared feeling in New Zealand, when there are three days left before the first match race between Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli, winner of the Prada Cup, and Emirates Team New Zealand, defender of the cup. The eagerly awaited duel for the oldest sports trophy in the world, in the Hauraki Gulf, in Auckland Bay, in front of Rangitoto Island.

The official website also crowns New Zealand

For days, in fact, not only have the stories about the speed of Te Rehutai multiplied, the boat with the Maori name and impressive performances (of which the members of the Luna Rossa crew are also aware). Also increasing are the bold statements not only of the fans of sailing, the second kiwi passion together with rugby, but also of former champions and super experts who have seen it cooked and raw in an often unpredictable event. Even the official website of the event, which for mission should be bipartisan, was so unbalanced: "Winning starts can be important, but if your boat is considerably faster and the team has faith in this, then the start can be simply managed while waiting to press the accelerator. Here, if the rumors are correct, it is the home team that prevails. Moreover, as the rumors say, it is equipped with a "code zero" sail to deal with light wind conditions " . As if to say, New Zealand is a missile, but if the wind drops it also has the famous vintage wing to keep flying.

The Jones monument: "Only a miracle can save Luna Rossa"

In this climate in which the New Zealanders count the hours that separate them from the first race, postponed due to the lockdown in Auckland, even sailing legends like Murray Jones are unbalanced. It is not easy to find comparisons in other sports for the 64-year-old from Lower Hutt: in the secular history of the America's Cup, born in 1851, he was one of the protagonists capable of bringing the first cup to New Zealand in 1995, defending it in 2000 from a challenger named Luna Rossa. Moving to Alinghi, he repeated himself in 2003 and 2007, experiencing with Oracle the victorious comeback from 1-7 to 8-7 against New Zealand in 2013, before returning home and participating in the success of 2017. His is not a statement, but a sentence: "Team New Zealand is significantly faster and will win easily. Only a miracle can save Luna Rossa".

The low profile of Luna Rossa

And Luna Rossa, in all this? She keeps a low profile, acknowledging the quality of Te Rehutai and her crew. Building on the improvements shown during the Prada Cup, which began suffering opponents then crashed in the head-to-head matches: 4-0 at American Magic in the semifinals and 7-1 at Team Ineos UK in the final. Jimmy Spithill, the legendary Australian helmsman, remained impassive in the face of provocations, and when it came to Peter Burling, his alter ego on New Zealand who stole his record as the youngest "helmsman" to win the cup, he defined it that way. "He is the best in the world". No rivalry, with heavy arms let the others go to the helm.

45 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

From Repubblica.it, automatically translated by Google, the article is a collection of speculations made by Kiwis and NZ medias...

Listen to The Secret Sailor, the secret sailor who made havoc in the America's Cup, and behind his mysterious identity assesses the eve of the 36th edition between Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli and Emirates Team New Zealand: "It will take something very special from Luna Rossa , or something completely unexpected, for Team New Zealand not to win the America's Cup, "he writes in the NZ Herald. "Everything is ready for the defender's triumph, which - barring mishaps or sailing miracles - should arrive within the next two weeks. They have the best sailors. They have the fastest boat. They also had access to all the challengers' data much earlier. of having to sail against the Italians from next Wednesday ". The Secret Salilor, like all sailors, knows the superstitions on a boat, but evidently, when he went ashore, he forgot about it. Or his confidence is the expression of a shared feeling in New Zealand, when there are three days left before the first match race between Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli, winner of the Prada Cup, and Emirates Team New Zealand, defender of the cup. The eagerly awaited duel for the oldest sports trophy in the world, in the Hauraki Gulf, in Auckland Bay, in front of Rangitoto Island.

The official website also crowns New Zealand

For days, in fact, not only have the stories about the speed of Te Rehutai multiplied, the boat with the Maori name and impressive performances (of which the members of the Luna Rossa crew are also aware). Also increasing are the bold statements not only of the fans of sailing, the second kiwi passion together with rugby, but also of former champions and super experts who have seen it cooked and raw in an often unpredictable event. Even the official website of the event, which for mission should be bipartisan, was so unbalanced: "Winning starts can be important, but if your boat is considerably faster and the team has faith in this, then the start can be simply managed while waiting to press the accelerator. Here, if the rumors are correct, it is the home team that prevails. Moreover, as the rumors say, it is equipped with a "code zero" sail to deal with light wind conditions " . As if to say, New Zealand is a missile, but if the wind drops it also has the famous vintage wing to keep flying.

The Jones monument: "Only a miracle can save Luna Rossa"

In this climate in which the New Zealanders count the hours that separate them from the first race, postponed due to the lockdown in Auckland, even sailing legends like Murray Jones are unbalanced. It is not easy to find comparisons in other sports for the 64-year-old from Lower Hutt: in the secular history of the America's Cup, born in 1851, he was one of the protagonists capable of bringing the first cup to New Zealand in 1995, defending it in 2000 from a challenger named Luna Rossa. Moving to Alinghi, he repeated himself in 2003 and 2007, experiencing with Oracle the victorious comeback from 1-7 to 8-7 against New Zealand in 2013, before returning home and participating in the success of 2017. His is not a statement, but a sentence: "Team New Zealand is significantly faster and will win easily. Only a miracle can save Luna Rossa".

The low profile of Luna Rossa

And Luna Rossa, in all this? She keeps a low profile, acknowledging the quality of Te Rehutai and her crew. Building on the improvements shown during the Prada Cup, which began suffering opponents then crashed in the head-to-head matches: 4-0 at American Magic in the semifinals and 7-1 at Team Ineos UK in the final. Jimmy Spithill, the legendary Australian helmsman, remained impassive in the face of provocations, and when it came to Peter Burling, his alter ego on New Zealand who stole his record as the youngest "helmsman" to win the cup, he defined it that way. "He is the best in the world". No rivalry, with heavy arms let the others go to the helm.

Sicuramente stravinceranno i Kiwi, ma si stanno tirando addosso una sfiga clamorosa. :D

3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Sicuramente stravinceranno i Kiwi, ma si stanno tirando addosso una sfiga clamorosa. :D

bang on the teke ehoa

Plenty of wind out there right now!

Metservice says:

Today: Southwest 25 knots gusting 35 knots, easing to 20 knots in the morning, and to 15 knots in the evening. Rough sea easing in the morning. Partly cloudy, chance shower.

Tuesday: Easing to variable 5 knots late morning. Northeast 10 knots developing for a time in the afternoon. Fine spells.

Wednesday: Northwest 15 knots developing. Cloudy periods and isolated showers.

Thursday: Northwest 15 knots changing southwest 20 knots. Morning rain, then isolated showers.
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

.. .even sailing legends like Murray Jones are unbalanced. It is not easy to find comparisons in other sports for the 64-year-old from Lower Hutt: in the secular history of the America's Cup, born in 1851, he was one of the protagonists capable of bringing the first cup to New Zealand in 1995, .

Murray Jones will be a sprightly 170 years old, not 64 :lol:

3 hours ago, weta27 said:

Plenty of wind out there right now!

Metservice says:

Today: Southwest 25 knots gusting 35 knots, easing to 20 knots in the morning, and to 15 knots in the evening. Rough sea easing in the morning. Partly cloudy, chance shower.

Tuesday: Easing to variable 5 knots late morning. Northeast 10 knots developing for a time in the afternoon. Fine spells.

Wednesday: Northwest 15 knots developing. Cloudy periods and isolated showers.

Thursday: Northwest 15 knots changing southwest 20 knots. Morning rain, then isolated showers.

Fuck! That's a LOT different than what WindPredict was forecasting a couple of days ago.

In the spirit of tomorrow's EPIC competition, a little cultural exchange at Sailbydate's house. Dinner tonight: A little bit Anglicised, perhaps but delicious, fresh pasta, Lasagna.

Buon appetito!

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Fuck! That's a LOT different than what WindPredict was forecasting a couple of days ago.

I'm curios, which of predict winds models are you referring to? This is kind of inline with what ACCESS-G was predicting in my post last thursday. I didn't post the directions only wind strength in 10min average and gusts.