Jump to content

AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Another question is how much fast is Te Rehutai in tacking and gybing? Maneuvering speed seems something Luna Rossa is quite strong at.

Everything we can believe from past performance of the team and what we have seen in videos is that TR is going to be quicker than LR. Though she looks bulkier forward so possibly less aerodynamic and there have been suggestions (and the odd video) where she dumps her stern in a tack. This should be possible to solve, if so, by adjusting the rudder angle I would have thought unless it was a more fundamental problem. If that is the case just slip Herbie II aboard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Though she looks bulkier forward so possibly less aerodynamic

Te Rehutai has a lower frontal area than the other boats, so possibly lower drag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Everything we can believe from past performance of the team and what we have seen in videos is that TR is going to be quicker than LR. 

What order of magnitude can we expect? If it's a few knots (and worst VMG) we can hope for closer matches.

I would say that anything else, will mean a sweep for the Kiwis and boring races

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Everything we can believe from past performance of the team and what we have seen in videos is that TR is going to be quicker than LR. Though she looks bulkier forward so possibly less aerodynamic and there have been suggestions (and the odd video) where she dumps her stern in a tack. This should be possible to solve, if so, by adjusting the rudder angle I would have thought unless it was a more fundamental problem. If that is the case just slip Herbie II aboard. 

Spithill - Hello Mr. Bertelli, I would be greatly interested in helming Luna Rossa for the next America's Cup

Bertelli - Fuck James, crew complete, I'm sorry, and you can't even speak Italian.

Spithill - Ehm, I kept Herbie in my garage, and it's not a car, I thought you could be interested.

Bertelli - Well then, you are hired. But you can forget to be more than half helmsman (and at half the salary), I already promised that to Checco Bruni, and the Sicilian mafia wouldn't accept such a sgarro! We must find a way to justify that for the public, maybe we will say it's a strategic decision. I'll talk to Max. If we are lucky the Kiwis will take the bait and will even try to do the same, out of fear.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kiwin said:

Found it :

Screenshot_20210204-082657_Facebook.jpg.96a0e8aa3d9fc2808ed9ad4f0ad0a18f.jpg

 

2 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Huge difference between TR and the rest.... I would definitely say less drag for TR.

 

Good find.  Front on it does look like less drag. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, winchfodder said:

As a DoG fanboy I am a bit concerned about the fracker in chief (FIC) and his new found love of the Cup.

Since his team were soundly demolished on the race course he has been quoted in the UK Daily Telegraph (see below) and, like others before him, believes that he has the silver bullet that will "fix" the AC. 

His main concern is that "it needs to be a level playing field." 

This is an interesting proposition. The history of the AC points to the fact that winning in most cases (the kiwis being the black sheep) requires the complete opposite of a level playing field when it comes to cash. Koch, Bertarelli, Ellison proved that. 

Applying their vision, and trying to make it stick, after winning is the interesting one. Koch seemed happy to walk away. Bertarelli did have a big "vision" but came up against the old cash problem with a man who simply had more and Ellison is still funding his.

So the FIC has quite an interesting time ahead. At least it looks like his new found passion will keep us entertained and will plough plenty of his black gold into the sport and business of sailing.

"Will Sir Jim Ratcliffe keep funding the team?

This is the £100million question. Ratcliffe and other senior Ineos executives, including fellow Ineos owner Andy Currie, are also believed to be staying out in New Zealand for a while. But he has also said that he wants to see certain changes if he is to recommit. Among Ratcliffe's demands: more stability - sticking with these foiling monohulls - more teams, lower entry costs, fewer legal spats, more action between Cups similar to the World Series tours held in the last cycle. In short, a more professional sport and a more sustainable commercial structure. Ratcliffe has even suggested a governing body. “The America’s Cup should be the pinnacle of sailing and I think this new class of boat is the perfect model for the future,” he said recently. “This formula is really exciting so I think if the America’s Cup sticks with this, it’s got a very exciting future. It needs to be, in my view, a level playing field. It isn’t at the moment. There’s too much advantage to the defender and the challenger of record.” 

Dream on!

I watched the NASA Perseverance landing broadcast from their mission control last week - quite the show! The spooky thing about it was the 7-8 minute delay in the telemetered data from the lander (speed of light and all that), so effectively the the room was watching events unfold in the past. When the lander data was showing the start of the decent sequence on screens, the lander was already either safely on the surface or the freshest crater in Martian soil...

I too am dreaming of a closely fought series, but dread repeat of the Perseverance scenario. Will we witness the inevitable cratering of one team (in terms of relative performance), the result of design decisions made three years ago but only now made manifest? Has this race already happened, and we just don't know it yet? 

Well, at least the first leg of the first race will be exciting - I hope my forebodings are totally off. I'll be watching with an Italian wife, while wearing an ETNZ shirt that I bought in the company store on the Viaduct in February 2020...

 

 

Perseverance.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, winchfodder said:

As a DoG fanboy I am a bit concerned about the fracker in chief (FIC) and his new found love of the Cup.

Since his team were soundly demolished on the race course he has been quoted in the UK Daily Telegraph (see below) and, like others before him, believes that he has the silver bullet that will "fix" the AC.

..........

Ratcliffe is just the most recent johnny-come-lately in a line of billionaires who thought they could buy fix the AC.

Like those before, his ideas are corporate and commercial.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Physalia said:

I watched the NASA Perseverance landing broadcast from their mission control last week - quite the show! The spooky thing about it was the 7-8 minute delay in the telemetered data from the lander (speed of light and all that), so effectively the the room was watching events unfold in the past. When the lander data was showing the start of the decent sequence on screens, the lander was already either safely on the surface or the freshest crater in Martian soil...

 

I know the feeling.
I remember "watching" the Louis Vuiton and America´s Cup Finals, here in Brazil, "live" in Virtual Spectator over a dial-up internet connection.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Americas Cup has outlasted better and worse people than Ratcliffe. It will outlast him just fine. The DOG document is much sturdier than it first appears

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Ratcliffe is just the most recent johnny-come-lately in a line of billionaires who thought they could buy fix the AC.

Like those before, his ideas are corporate and commercial.

Here's hoping that the FIC is fully hooked. We need new skin in the game to keep the party going.

And after seeing the images and interviews with a half-cut Sir Ben lurching around the viaduct in jeans and accosting all and sundry I am looking forward to his next meltdown. 

Even better is Sir Ben on the water. His match racing aggression and skill is impressive. So I hope he will be taking the wheel again.

"What are you doing Man?" Indeed!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

What order of magnitude can we expect? If it's a few knots (and worst VMG) we can hope for closer matches.

I would say that anything else, will mean a sweep for the Kiwis and boring races

Maybe @Mozzy Sails might throw a few cents on this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jaysper said:

Fuck that's sweet odds for INEOS. Gotta get me some of that action.

Sure, they're unlikely to win but the odds are fantastic! ;)

Probably a touch short for me to be honest, but best of luck though, hope it all works out for you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kiwin said:

Found it :

Screenshot_20210204-082657_Facebook.jpg.96a0e8aa3d9fc2808ed9ad4f0ad0a18f.jpg

 

15 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

Huge difference between TR and the rest.... I would definitely say less drag for TR.

 

Pics below look like TR is "bulkier" side on than LR. Though might be just the paint jobs.

 

153222381_2934617246816727_2953439492392262233_o.jpg.aef3ec6ade097f04e00dc6aaca321250.jpg

WEB-m4472_AC201219cb_21382.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess that because the middle of TR is thin they had to make slab sides to gain the necessary longitudinal strength and stiffness. Centreline, aft TR is super thin hence all the above deck hydraulic clew malarky. I think LR has enough space for a below deck boom arrangement.

Was it Dennis Conner who said that the Cup is already won, we just don't know who it is yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Teaky said:

Did ETNZ help Prada to become competative against UK?  If so, why?

 

?

Not heard anything about that, it's more likely the contrary

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Everything we can believe from past performance of the team and what we have seen in videos is that TR is going to be quicker than LR. Though she looks bulkier forward so possibly less aerodynamic and there have been suggestions (and the odd video) where she dumps her stern in a tack. This should be possible to solve, if so, by adjusting the rudder angle I would have thought unless it was a more fundamental problem. If that is the case just slip Herbie II aboard. 

That's Te HerbieRua to you.

Edited by Nutta
Fucking autocorrect
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teaky said:

Did ETNZ help Prada to become competative against UK?  If so, why?

 

I think it was actually the other way around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Thanks for this, @MaxHugen your thoughts? :)

Not sure what you're asking about... but if it's the side profile, I'd guess that NZ has only very slightly more area than LR.  Subtle differences make it hard to really compare. NZ bow could be slightly deeper, the crew pod does add a little bit of height from amidships, more so well aft - but not as much as you might think when comparing the pods to MRP...

image.png.2656816fec52b5a5958a368e04e78677.png

(estimate only of course)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teaky said:

Did ETNZ help Prada to become competative against UK?  If so, why?

 

 

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

?

Not heard anything about that, it's more likely the contrary

 

9 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

I think it was actually the other way around.

Yes, if at all. If we are to believe the love-in between the FIC and ETNZ.

Though I think it is highly unlikely that INEOS has much to offer. All the data from the Prada Cup is out there and there is enough video off and onboard to understand any special foil or mainsail trimming, ride height,  crewing techniques, tacking and gybing moves to study without approaching either team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Not sure what you're asking about... but if it's the side profile, I'd guess that NZ has only very slightly more area than LR.  Subtle differences make it hard to really compare. NZ bow could be slightly deeper, the crew pod does add a little bit of height from amidships, more so well aft - but not as much as you might think when comparing the pods to MRP...

image.png.2656816fec52b5a5958a368e04e78677.png

(estimate only of course)

I was just comparing the side on photos with the Chevalier end on profiles which seem to show TR has less drag (less hull volume all round).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

More than anything else, I pray for a close match.

Nothing gives you high levels of adrenaline than America's Cup duels and/or Moto GP...........

Shaving the back end of a competitor or pushing them wide, does make great TV

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

I was just comparing the side on photos with the Chevalier end on profiles which seem to show TR has less drag (less hull volume all round).

No disregard to Chevalier - his drawings are awesome IMO - but they aren't 100% accurate, as you would expect.

Note TR's end on profile... missing a lower section of hull bustle:

image.png.72fbb4fa719f9cd5312c28b805ce0b24.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

No disregard to Chevalier - his drawings are awesome IMO - but they aren't 100% accurate, as you would expect.

Note TR's end on profile... missing a lower section of hull:

image.png.72fbb4fa719f9cd5312c28b805ce0b24.png

Perfect. I thought so. And yes the work he has put into the Cup over the years is totally outstanding. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

No disregard to Chevalier - his drawings are awesome IMO - but they aren't 100% accurate, as you would expect.

Note TR's end on profile... missing a lower section of hull:

image.png.72fbb4fa719f9cd5312c28b805ce0b24.png

 

1 minute ago, winchfodder said:

Perfect. I thought so. And yes the work he has put into the Cup over the years is totally outstanding. 

So in general which of the two do you think has the least drag (in flight).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, winchfodder said:

 

So in general which of the two do you think has the least drag (in flight).

I did a very rough general estimate of form drag from their side on plan... it's not much really, because of the angle to the apparent wind they sail at.

Unfortunately I was unable to estimate induced drag, which I would guess to be much higher. Didn't like GB's hull as I think their skeg would produce significant vortices. But I (we) may never really know, unless someone with great ability reproduces CFD calcs.

Apart from hull drag though, it's also important how the hull performs whilst trying to get onto the foils, where I do like NZ's "canoe" shaped bustle. 

Plus how the hull's aerodynamics work to enhance sail performance. NZ's lowered deck gives them several more square metres of sail low down where it's most useful, and the pods almost seem like "end plates" to the deck, which in turn "end plates" the mainsail!

Nevertheless, LR does look like it has a very slippery profile, so I'll take a wild stab, and guess that LR has least hull drag, but NZ is better at adding horsepower to their mainsail. :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Nevertheless, LR does look like it has a very slippery profile, so I'll take a wild stab, and guess that LR has least hull drag, but NZ is better at adding horsepower to their mainsail. :unsure:

I think the whole ethos of ETNZ was getting their mast lower than any of the other boats 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kiwin said:

What kind of apparent wind angles are the boats experiencing. up/down?

Best is around 11° possibly, upwind.  Downwind a couple of degrees less, as they use leeway for better VMG.   Just my guess though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I think the whole ethos of ETNZ was getting their mast lower than any of the other boats 

Of course the mast base is fixed at MRP by the rules... but assume you're referring to mainsail area, below the measurement points.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Best is around 11° possibly, upwind.  Downwind a couple of degrees less, as they use leeway for better VMG.   Just my guess though.

So with that kind of apparent angle I would guess that frontal area is by far the most important, and side profile largely irrelevant?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kiwin said:

So with that kind of apparent angle I would guess that frontal area is by far the most important, and side profile largely irrelevant?

Frontal area drag is greater, maybe 3-4 times as much as side area, but no drag is irrelevant to the teams! Here's an approximation of total drag - note that hull drag should be higher as this doesn't include hull induced drag:

image.png.45d4b149133156053ab96d29b7687f12.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Frontal area drag is greater, maybe 3-4 times as much as side area, but no drag is irrelevant to the teams! Here's an approximation of total drag - note that hull drag should be higher as this doesn't include hull induced drag:

image.png.45d4b149133156053ab96d29b7687f12.png

Some foil drag is inherently bond to the generated (wanted)  lifting force, it would be interesting having separate values for efficient and dissipated drag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Some foil drag is inherently bond to the generated (wanted)  lifting force, it would be interesting having separate values for efficient and dissipated drag.

Assuming that you are referring to form (or parasitic) drag, vs induced drag (from lift), my calcs at ~40 knots boat speed suggest 29% form drag, vs 71% induced drag. 

But note that as speed increases, the percentage of induced drag decreases compared to form drag.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, kiwin said:

What kind of apparent wind angles are the boats experiencing. up/down?

From the data the TWA upwind is LR 48.28 and INEOS 50.53 in Race 5 of the final. 

LR 139.61 downwind and INEOS 138.75

 

Screenshot_20210220-141229_YouTube.jpg.7300e522a58addc0eb1c128bc77b36b1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

But for drag it's the apparent that is important. And my point is that the boats are always at a yaw angle of say 12 degrees or less to the apparent wind. Further that apparent wind angles may be even less AT THE BOAT due to the effect of the sails.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

From the data the TWA upwind is LR 48.28 and INEOS 50.53 in Race 5 of the final. 

LR 139.61 downwind and INEOS 138.75

 

Screenshot_20210220-141229_YouTube.jpg.7300e522a58addc0eb1c128bc77b36b1.jpg

I have some reservations about the accuracy of this data... remembering it comes from the boats, where accurate measurements of TWA etc are questionable. Consider:

LR doing 29.68 knots upwind in 11.87 TWS = 2.5 times TWS.  Hmmmm

LR sailing at AWA = 13.5°.   Maybe, seems a bit low, expected closer to 11-12°, but ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

Of course the mast base is fixed at MRP by the rules... but assume you're referring to mainsail area, below the measurement points.

Yes 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 9:23 AM, AeroSail1 said:

Not if LR engages in an endless tacking duel and keeps a tight cover on TR, i frankly don't believe the speed edge is this huge especially in light winds. Let's hope for a full march of 7 kts breeze and we are in for a treat

 

How much of a tacking duel is even possible in these boats given the finite amount of energy coming from your grinders? I read earlier one of the reasons for short races is the physical effort involved. Do they have capacity to go tack after tack for long?

(Not that the grinders won't give their all).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 9:23 AM, AeroSail1 said:

Not if LR engages in an endless tacking duel and keeps a tight cover on TR, i frankly don't believe the speed edge is this huge especially in light winds. Let's hope for a full march of 7 kts breeze and we are in for a treat

 

How much of a tacking duel is even possible in these boats given the finite amount of energy coming from your grinders? I read earlier one of the reasons for short races is the physical effort involved. Do they have capacity to go tack after tack for long?

(Not that the grinders won't give their all).

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, strider470 said:

?

Not heard anything about that, it's more likely the contrary

It's more likely they left the challengers to their own shit.

Who in ETNZ would really give a fuck which challenger they face?

Besides for all the bitching between LR and ETNZ, I would suspect ETNZ still have an incredibly strong affinity for LR like most NZ AC fans do.

They've been around a long time and have for the most part acted like good cunts.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

It's more likely they left the challengers to their own shit.

Who in ETNZ would really give a fuck which challenger they face?

Besides for all the bitching between LR and ETNZ, I would suspect ETNZ still have an incredibly strong affinity for LR like most NZ AC fans do.

They've been around a long time and have for the most part acted like good cunts.

Yeah....it could all be handbags :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised that no one seems to know for sure the speed differential between ENTZ and LR.

One would think with todays technology, it would be fairly easy to at least approximate.

So is it 5kts? 10 Kts?

If there is a huge speed differential, is ENTZ going to slow down to make it more of a TV spectacle?

A bit over one week to go. Thought we would know more.

Hoping it will be close and that LR takes the cup just for a change of scenery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Long range forecast showing a Northerly flow sourced from a weak tropical low to the North West on Saturday 6th. Don't think we have had that with the racing so far. Will be interesting to see how it  develops. Won't be a drift fest by the look of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 4:42 PM, Dolphin65 said:

Huge difference between TR and the rest.... I would definitely say less drag for TR.

It's interesting that LR has a  higher deck because they have put more main hydraulics (and maybe a boom) underneath.  TR has put much of that complexity between the main sails, which made me initially think "weight aloft"!!! But on boats that do not heel, then there is much less righting moment issues with having weight higher up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sfigone said:

It's interesting that LR has a  higher deck because they have put more main hydraulics (and maybe a boom) underneath.  TR has put much of that complexity between the main sails, which made me initially think "weight aloft"!!! But on boats that do not heel, then there is much less righting moment issues with having weight higher up.

LR not having a mechanism between the mains should result in a better shape in that section, on the other hand, they have less sail area compared to the main of TR (good loophole)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sfigone said:

It's interesting that LR has a  higher deck because they have put more main hydraulics (and maybe a boom) underneath.  TR has put much of that complexity between the main sails, which made me initially think "weight aloft"!!! But on boats that do not heel, then there is much less righting moment issues with having weight higher up.

I saw a picture of LR showing that the deck is just a removable aero cover with a boom underneath.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sfigone said:

It's interesting that LR has a  higher deck because they have put more main hydraulics (and maybe a boom) underneath.  TR has put much of that complexity between the main sails, which made me initially think "weight aloft"!!! But on boats that do not heel, then there is much less righting moment issues with having weight higher up.

 

24 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

I saw a picture of LR showing that the deck is just a removable aero cover with a boom underneath.

Yes. There is definitely a boom on LR which is covered by a thin non structural carbon cover, hence the red outlined shapes shown by the aft camera as "no-step" zones.

This means that the false deck is higher, more weight higher up and less area below the mast step to give free area in the mainsail "skirt". Plus more windage than TR

The boom itself contains the mainsail clew hydraulics and probably the rams to control the two mainsail skins in.the lower section. It appears to pivot at the foot of the mast ball (for rotation) and the outer end has a traveller attached to a curved track on the deck.

This means that all three challengers were using booms and only TR is not.

44A6B552-CF30-4E15-B7D9-D2A1EC01414D.jpeg.6bced0796659e1cb14b1ca20c1da064a (1).jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

 

Yes. There is definitely a boom on LR which is covered by a thin non structural carbon cover, hence the red outlined shapes shown by the aft camera as "no-step" zones.

This means that the false deck is higher, more weight higher up and less area below the mast step to give free area in the "skirt".

The boom itself contains the mainsail tack hydraulics and probably the rams to control the two mainsail skins in.the lower section. It appears to pivot at the foot of the mast ball (rotation) and the outer end is traveller attached to a curved track on the deck.

This means that all three challengers were using booms and only TR is not.

44A6B552-CF30-4E15-B7D9-D2A1EC01414D.jpeg.6bced0796659e1cb14b1ca20c1da064a (1).jpeg

That's probably why they don't want Jimmy crossing sides. Be a shame if he fell through the deck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

That's probably why they don't want Jimmy crossing sides. Be a shame if he fell through the deck.

He was not going to walk through the mainsail like a ghost, anyway :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

 This means that all three challengers were using booms and only TR is not.

I don't think LR's "boom" can really be considered a boom. Specifically it does not move vertically at all and it is not trimmed by the main sheet.  Instead it moves the main sheeting point, just as a traveller does.  It's probably better to consider it as a solid linkage from traveller to mast that is used to a) rotate the mast; b) transfer some compressive loads from the traveller to the mast; c) carry the hydraulics for the main sheet.

If they put a fairing around it, they could probably get rid of the deck... but that would really only be worthwhile if they could also lower the foredeck.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

That's probably why they don't want Jimmy crossing sides. Be a shame if he fell through the deck.

One thing is for sure it’s a far more elegant solution than the other two challengers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, winchfodder said:

 

Pics below look like TR is "bulkier" side on than LR. Though might be just the paint jobs.

 

153222381_2934617246816727_2953439492392262233_o.jpg.aef3ec6ade097f04e00dc6aaca321250.jpg

WEB-m4472_AC201219cb_21382.jpg

Maybe. But how would "bulkier side on" be relevant at 50+ knots AWS? 

Reminds me a bit of, Usain St Leo Bolt - all 6' 5" and 200 + lbs of him. ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, winchfodder said:

 

Pics below look like TR is "bulkier" side on than LR. Though might be just the paint jobs.

 

153222381_2934617246816727_2953439492392262233_o.jpg.aef3ec6ade097f04e00dc6aaca321250.jpg

WEB-m4472_AC201219cb_21382.jpg

I imagine that "bulkiness" is more important to sail power/end-plating than it is to drag profile.   It also makes a handy canoe for getting some speed in displacement mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mako23 said:

One thing is for sure it’s a far more elegant solution than the other two challengers.

Forget stylish and sophisticated, just give me functional. ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mako23 said:

24 hours and no major fight in this thread. What the heck is going on here ?? 
I wonder how long it will last 

No longer you bastard! :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question for the experts. In the different crew roles, I can't find the guy continuously throwing coloured circles out of the stern of the boats during the races. And most of all,  how many fucking circles do they carry aboard? Are they collected at the end of the race?

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I have a question for the experts. In the different crew roles, I can't find the man continuously throwing coloured circles out of the stern of the boats during the races. And most of all,  how many fucking circles do they carry aboard? Are they collected at the end of the race?

Heard from reputable sources that for the AC Final LR will throw banana peels in the pre start to make ETNZ fall from the foils

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I have a question for the experts. In the different crew roles, I can't find the man continuously throwing coloured circles out of the stern of the boats during the races. And most of all,  how many fucking circles do they carry aboard? Are they collected at the end of the race?

https://images.app.goo.gl/YUhQACkc8YLhryAH8

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I have a question for the experts. In the different crew roles, I can't find the guy continuously throwing coloured circles out of the stern of the boats during the races. And most of all,  how many fucking circles do they carry aboard? Are they collected at the end of the race?

It’s an Italian in the boat called Dickus Maximus every once in a while he likes to wash his cock by dipping into the water. The only problem he’s filthy and hardly every washes hence the yellow rings 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mako23 said:

It’s an Italian in the boat called Dickus Maximus every once in a while he likes to wash his cock by dipping into the water. The only problem he’s filthy and hardly every washes hence the yellow rings 

Maximus indeed. I see you couldn't help but notice the size of the circles! :D So you are telling me that the guy on the other boat just had a sexual intercourse with Papa Smurf??

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Maximus indeed. I see you couldn't help but notice the size of the circles! :D So you are telling me that the guy on the other boat just had a sexual intercourse with Papa Smurf??

Yes correct .... it’s Papa smurf the infamous gay porn star from the 90’s

 

typing those words into google lead to something horrific, some things can’t be unseen 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yes correct .... it’s Papa smurf the infamous gay porn star from the 90’s

 

typing those words into google lead to something horrific, some things can’t be unseen 

If you want horrific, Google "two girls, one cup".

I'll be stunned if you can watch the whole thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The consensus expectation in the Anglo speaking world is so firmly of the belief that ETNZ is the most likely winner.......but:

1. We really do not know because LR improved significantly since ACWS.

2. We assume ETNZ has improved at least as much.....but we wont know until race #1.

Race 1 will give us our first real insight. Just like consensus, I believe that ETNZ's boat speed at ACWS is baked in and will have improved at least as much as LR ...so Im consensus but ready to acknowledge there could be a surprise

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, still a week to waste before the actual racing. Maybe time for some recap of the (winning) campaigns?
I started to link some points (yes, I'm bored!) and kinda of a big picture built up in my mind.
My two cents:

1) (very unlikely) ETNZ got B1 wrong and changed quite radically their path with B2. That can be good for LR's odds.
 

2) (more likely) ETNZ had already pretty clear how an AC75 should be, and that's TR. They build TA to "tick all the boxes" they weren't sure about. And to disguise everything else.
So they put on TR the few things that actually showed to be working on TA together with all the things they already knew would have been better and faster. And it's all about being as fast as possible.

3) LR started since the very beginning with the idea of winning the starts and make it impossible for the trailing boat to win a tack duel. They admittedly gave away some speed in order to gain enough meters each tack/gybe. 

If TR has an actual disadvantage in the prestarts and lower windspeed and LR managed to contain the speed they lost to get agility we're likely on for some pretty fun in the AC.
Any other option looks like a boredom festival on the water.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites