AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

11 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Strange how weird that running around suddenly looks, compared to LR.

By the way, anybody else notice how noisy TR is?

Yes, a terrible racket. What is it? Hydraulics?

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Yes, a terrible racket. What is it? Hydraulics?

I suspect the hydraulics in the boom are better insulated on LR (under the false deck) then in TR (between the sails). Maybe the closed cockpit resonates a bit more.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this moment. As LR were coming back in to the dock, to be greeted by their adoring fans, a group of the sailors were just gazing across at ETNZ. Was it a newly-found sense of belief??

Strider will tell us, the Italian words for "bring it on".

DSC_6784.JPG

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, weta27 said:

I enjoyed this moment. As LR were coming back in to the dock, to be greeted by their adoring fans, a group of the sailors were just gazing across at ETNZ. Was it a newly-found sense of belief??

DSC_6784.JPG

Maybe they could hear GD yelling at the team... 'What the fuck was that!'

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_6784.JPG

Bring it on!

it should be something like "Forza! Fatevi sotto!". @Xlotplease help.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I don't think "first" mistake was done by LR. In any other race TNZ would have got a penalty.

What?  LR luffed and TNZ was keeping clear.

Right now I see this playing out one of three ways:

1.  The winner is simply which team wins the most starts.  At the moment this looks like the most likely scenario.  This doesn't mean the Match goes the distance - I think one team will get the momentum in the starting box and we end up with a score line of say 7-3. 

2.  ETNZ refine/optimise their boat and sail it better, are the faster boat and win because of it (i.e. winning some races they lose the start on).  I personally don't think this is likely.  You need a faster boat up wind to have any chance of winning a race you lose the start on and if anything it looked like LR had that slight advantage.  So maybe ETNZ can improve upwind performance but I doubt they will enough to be sufficiently faster.

3.  LRPP have a sufficient light air superiority that enables them to win races they lose the start on... and win Match because of it.

Having said all that, if we end up having races on courses B/C/D then everything could change.

41 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_6784.JPG

Great shot! 

10 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Having said all that, if we end up having races on courses B/C/D then everything could change.

They will be doing everything possible to get racing back here.

A an E are shit for any off water spectators. Also there is likely to be very light flukey conditions this weekend so it may become a lottery. 

9 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

1.  The winner is simply which team wins the most starts.  At the moment this looks like the most likely scenario.  This doesn't mean the Match goes the distance - I think one team will get the momentum in the starting box and we end up with a score line of say 7-3. 

2.  ETNZ refine/optimise their boat and sail it better, are the faster boat and win because of it (i.e. winning some races they lose the start on).  I personally don't think this is likely.  You need a faster boat up wind to have any chance of winning a race you lose the start on and if anything it looked like LR had that slight advantage.  So maybe ETNZ can improve upwind performance but I doubt they will enough to be sufficiently faster.

3.  LRPP have a sufficient light air superiority that enables them to win races they lose the start on... and win Match because of it.

I think LR will need to rely on mistakes by Team NZ. They dont have the pace to go head to head, so their only option is tactical plays. Forcing Team NZ into bad positions, putting course penalties or OCS penalties on them. A straight drag race won’t win them the cup against the faster Kiwi boat. Conversely, Burling needs to be on point. If they get an even or bettet start its game over. Both teams know that.

13 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

If it is #1........and the teams agree, then I expect the tactics in the start box will get much more aggressive.

• Like 1
Just now, Forourselves said:

I think LR will need to rely on mistakes by Team NZ. They dont have the pace to go head to head, so their only option is tactical plays. Forcing Team NZ into bad positions, putting course penalties or OCS penalties on them. A straight drag race won’t win them the cup against the faster Kiwi boat. Conversely, Burling needs to be on point. If the Kiwi’s get an even or better start its game over for the Italians. Looks like both teams know that.

3 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Great photo Weta, did you enjoy your boat ride?

Thanks, yes, it was fantastic, although a rougher and wetter ride than on the larger TV Cat 1. The driver is following the camera shots, so a lot of no-warning acceleration and swerving at full speed, often with spray coming over the roof.

A bit stiff and sore this morning - you are holding on tight for a lot of the day, and even though the harness and tether keep you safe, you can't operate a camera with big lens one-handed, so need to trust your balance and shoe grip when the money shots happen. Ended up flat on my ass on the deck at one point, I'm surprised it was only once!

100s of shots to go through now, and will have to clean the salt off my gear.

• Like 13
52 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_6784.JPG

great timing, Weta! 
You don't want to be at the other end of a glare like that.

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I think LR will need to rely on mistakes by Team NZ. They dont have the pace to go head to head, so their only option is tactical plays. Forcing Team NZ into bad positions, putting course penalties or OCS penalties on them. A straight drag race won’t win them the cup against the faster Kiwi boat. Conversely, Burling needs to be on point. If they get an even or bettet start its game over. Both teams know that.

I am not sure any difference in speed is significant enough to overcome pressure differences on various parts of the course and/or shifts.   Which means that the leading boat after the start will face that always present decision of whether to cover or sail their own race.

Since LR seems slightly smoother thru the tacks, it is easier for them to cover. TNZ will have to be careful about tacking duels when they are in the lead .

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Did you watch the races yesterday?  That sounds like the pre-race theory of how it was going to play out.  The reality was if either team had a speed advantage it wasn't enough to recover from a bad start.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I think LR will need to rely on mistakes by Team NZ. They dont have the pace to go head to head, so their only option is tactical plays. Forcing Team NZ into bad positions, putting course penalties or OCS penalties on them. A straight drag race won’t win them the cup against the faster Kiwi boat. 

Has somebody just defrosted you from deep storage? Did you miss Wednesday? Why are you repeating the same old "faster boat" broken record?

It's 1 all! Both teams made a mistake at a start that cost them the lead and then ultimately the race.  I could just as well say the Kiwis needed to rely on a LR mistake to with their race. If JS had gone for the line 3 second earlier in race 1 it may have been 2 - 0 to LR!

Even if NZ is slightly faster in some conditions, it looks like it is still possible for LR to win this with just good sailing alone. At least they have a chance.

Of course mistake can lose it, but waiting for a mistake is not the only way for LR to win.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Did you watch the races yesterday?  That sounds like the pre-race theory of how it was going to play out.  The reality was if either team had a speed advantage it wasn't enough to recover from a bad start.

Which is what I just said. LR needs to force Team NZ into bad positions. Both boats got an even start in race 1 and the Kiwis simply overpowered them and took off. Conversely LR got the best of the start in race 2 and managed the course well to keep the Kiwis behind them. Race 1 saw the Kiwis extend and race 2 saw them claw a big lead back. 

3 minutes ago, sfigone said:

Has somebody just defrosted you from deep storage? Did you miss Wednesday? Why are you repeating the same old "faster boat" broken record?

It's 1 all! Both teams made a mistake at a start that cost them the lead and then ultimately the race.  I could just as well say the Kiwis needed to rely on a LR mistake to with their race. If JS had gone for the line 3 second earlier in race 1 it may have been 2 - 0 to LR!

Even if NZ is slightly faster in some conditions, it looks like it is still possible for LR to win this with just good sailing alone. At least they have a chance.

Of course mistake can lose it, but waiting for a mistake is not the only way for LR to win.

Watch race 1 again. Both boats got off the line even. Only after ETNZ rolled them did Jimmy try and luff. Conversely race 2 saw Burling screw up the start which put thrm behind. 

55 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

What?  LR luffed and TNZ was keeping clear.

Yes, AND broak the overlap. Sheesh!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Damn it, I can't not see that bloody Ice Age squirrel now!

Sorry for bastardising your photo @weta27

LR.jpg

Love it!!!! :D Can you try a picture with the acorn on Te Rehutai stern followed by this Luna Rossa? :D :D

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Watch race 1 again. Both boats got off the line even. Only after ETNZ rolled them did Jimmy try and luff. Conversely race 2 saw Burling screw up the start which put thrm behind. 

Yeah and Trump won 2020, G W Bush brought democracy to the middle east, and you can't race AC75s under L2 restrictions.

They may have been even in the line, but NZ was 3 knots faster.  Same situation in first leg of race 2 when LR tacked a bit early and they just lifted into NZ path.

It'd be more fun if they made them sail around an island: more shifts, wind shadows etc.

3 times, in either direction.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, winchfodder said:

BTW my forum reconfigured yesterday. Not liking the new format so far. Any one else feel the same?

... and get off my lawn.  :P

No, I think it's great - an actual step towards 21st Century UX.

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

Thanks, yes, it was fantastic, although a rougher and wetter ride than on the larger TV Cat 1. The driver is following the camera shots, so a lot of no-warning acceleration and swerving at full speed, often with spray coming over the roof.

A bit stiff and sore this morning - you are holding on tight for a lot of the day, and even though the harness and tether keep you safe, you can't operate a camera with big lens one-handed, so need to trust your balance and shoe grip when the money shots happen. Ended up flat on my ass on the deck at one point, I'm surprised it was only once!

100s of shots to go through now, and will have to clean the salt off my gear.

God save the stabilizer, in this situations ;) Thank you, awesome pics mate !!!!

5 minutes ago, The Advocate said:
7 hours ago, winchfodder said:

BTW my forum reconfigured yesterday. Not liking the new format so far. Any one else feel the same?

Yes.

No. I like it.

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

And in another brilliant piece of journalism, the Herald this morning has a photo of Max Sirena captioned "Jimmy Spithill" ...!

How fucking awesome was it on the boat Weta?

Was Shirley with you and if so did you get her number? :D

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Bring it on!

it should be something like "Forza! Fatevi sotto!". @Xlotplease help.

“Fatevi sotto”, definitely - come nearer, if you dare

• Like 3
15 hours ago, maxmini said:

So this could be a very convenient AC. Tune in at the three min mark watch the start , watch two more min , find something else to do for 45 min and then come back and repeat. Hell even the commentators agree with me , how many times are they going to talk about the non existent passing ?

Jesus, some people just can't be satisfied. This is already looking to be the most even match of the foiling era - perhaps ever.

The only way you're going to get even boats with top sailors "passing" is on a shifty, fluky course - and the organisers have even provided those.  If you're going to whinge about anything, whinge about the Europeans and Americans not getting hold of Covid when they had the chance - because that's the reason the shifty courses aren't being used.

Pull your head in.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, weta27 said:

DSC_6784.JPG

The Anti Haka.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Which is what I just said. LR needs to force Team NZ into bad positions. Both boats got an even start in race 1 and the Kiwis simply overpowered them and took off. Conversely LR got the best of the start in race 2 and managed the course well to keep the Kiwis behind them. Race 1 saw the Kiwis extend and race 2 saw them claw a big lead back. 

Clarkey, you obviously have not had much to do with match racing.  The winning margin is not important, its win or lose.  In race one it was not possible for LR to pass in the last leg so they buttoned off.  Similarly in race 2 LR knew TNZ could not pass in the last half of the last leg so they let TNZ go to the favoured right side whilst LR went for the lay-line to the finish.  Its not a handicap race so the margin of the win is irrelevant.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Boy, this guy is full of shit.....  bring absolutely nothing to the conversation..

Is he paid by the word? Repeats himself fucking endlessly. 

I saw a claim that ETNZ were sailing with damage to one of their foil flaps. Anything confirming this?

Anyway tomorrow looks to be a drift fest going by the forecast. Maybe code zero for the first time in a race, or no races at all.

16 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Boy, this guy is full of shit.....  bring absolutely nothing to the conversation..

I thought his main point, once he eventually got around to it, was reasonably good. 

Just now, southseasbill said:

Anyway tomorrow looks to be a drift fest going by the forecast. Maybe code zero for the first time in a race, or no races at all.

Yeah that's what it looks like to me too - but does anyone have a more official/expert view on how it is looking?

2 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Yeah that's what it looks like to me too - but does anyone have a more official/expert view on how it is looking?

Are you kidding? This is SAAC, EVERYONE on here has an official/expert view! :D

• Like 2

Please, try to be realistic about what happen.

In Race 1, LR tuned late to the starting line and NZ goat a jump on them since they were going faster at that time.  Jimmy went for broke trying to get a penalty, missed and they hung onto NZ hip until the last leg.  On the last leg, LR gambled in hopes of finding a wind shift and lost ground on NZ.  In Race 2, LR got the lead at the start and continued to slowly pull away on each leg until they let NZ split.  NZ got some wind shifts and closed a good portion of the gap.    Go back and rewatch the races to see what happen.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

I'll post a picture of my wife's tits of Prada win race two. 

My hungover mind needs to see some tits. Please come through for me. 

Back to the Topic.

After reviewing yesterday's races.  ETNZ definitely have the faster boat in those wind conditions by a significant margin.

First race they extended even while covering and sailing sub-optimal modes to do so.  30+ seconds is a thrashing.  Note that LRPP was closer to ETNZ at the start compared to the reverse in race 2.

Race 2 - ETNZ stuffed the start, sailed badly, possibly were underpowered, yet still made up ground to get within 7 seconds of LRPP.

ETNZ have a faster top speed and better VMG.  

The assumption that ETNZ are at a disadvantage in the lower wind range I believe will be proved wrong.  Why?  The lower wind range (below 12 knot average) has always been the predicted wind range for the AC.  Particularly so when a La Nina weather pattern is in play.  To suggest that ETNZ wouldn't have planned for that is well naive.

The earlier regatta's were in weather that was at the normal average and ETNZ were moded for that.  They won.  They didn't need to show or even fully develop their low wind range modes.  In SA terminology they "sand bagged."

Prada put a lot of effort into being competitive in the mid-range.  Yesterday proved that they have improved but not by a significant amount.

I just wish the races were longer and had wider courses.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1298095542_ScreenShot2021-03-10at4_30_58PM.png.4c5bbbbdbab481342d5fdb4cc31b180d.png

LR was late trueing up to the line and NZ traveling 4 knots faster at the start.  Once they got up to speed LR had lost the overlap. They then lifted up to cause a penalty and were 100 meters behind after that.  LR then tacked away which lost them even more distance.  So the lead was from 3 errors on LR point and not pure boat speed on NZ!

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

The assumption that ETNZ are at a disadvantage in the lower wind range I believe will be proved wrong.  Why?  The lower wind range (below 12 knot average) has always been the predicted wind range for the AC.  Particularly so when a La Nina weather pattern is in play.  To suggest that ETNZ wouldn't have planned for that is well naive.

We will only know when we know.  Remember that ETNZ did the best they could with their design.  They had no idea how fast another boat would be in certain conditions.  

Mind you, it seems to be that everything the so-called 'experts' predicted from the round robins onwards has pretty much been wrong.  So who knows... maybe ETNZ will in fact be faster in the light air.  My guess is a repeat of yesterday where one team is slightly faster but not enough to recover from a bad start - on courses A or E.  Once we get to Course C I think the boat that is faster in the conditions on the day will be able to recover from a bad start.

8 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

After reviewing yesterday's races.  ETNZ definitely have the faster boat in those wind conditions by a significant margin.

The big surprise to most of us is that this is not true. Look at erdb’s charts from yesterday, the boats were almost dead-even in upwind VMG (even including extra tacks by LR) and while TR’s downwind VMG was 2 knots better, much of it can be explained by LR playing cover more than attacking the shifts. There was NO ‘significant margin’ - even in those wind conditions.

This is what everyone is so surprised by, after all the speculation that TR was going to be some kind of rocket ship.. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

everything the so-called 'experts' predicted from the round robins onwards has pretty much been wrong.  So who knows... maybe ETNZ will in fact be faster in the light air. 

Yep, it’s possible! 

There's no doubt in my mind the Red and Black boat will win.! Yes one boat is slightly faster but negated by its loss of speed through tacks. Put your money on the Red and the Black...:D^_^

13 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Back to the Topic.

First race they extended even while covering and sailing sub-optimal modes to do so.  30+ seconds is a thrashing.  

I disagree.  The 30s margin in the first race flattered ETNZ as LR tried some things on the final leg that didn't work.  Before that it was close.  Think back to AC35.  ETNZ pretty much always extended up wind.  Didn't see that yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The big surprise to most of us is that this is not true. Look at erdb’s charts from yesterday, the boats were almost dead-even in upwind VMG (even including extra tacks by LR) and while TR’s downwind VMG was 2 knots better, much of it can be explained by LR playing cover more than attacking the shifts. There was NO ‘significant margin’ - even in those wind conditions.

This is what everyone is so surprised by, after all the speculation that TR was going to be some kind of rocket ship.. 

Yet other charts show the opposite.  What you forget Stingray or don't actually know is that optimal top speed and VMG is often compromised by match racing.  So those optimums were compromised but ETNZ was still significantly above LRPP.

Only the teams know by how much.  I liken it to the first couple of rounds of a heavy weight boxing match.  Both fighters are duck dive weaving to see what they other has really got.  I'm picking you will see a much more confident sail by ETNZ in subsequent races.

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

There's no doubt in my mind the Red and Black boat will win.! Yes one boat is slightly faster but negated by its loss of speed through tacks. Put your money on the Red and the Black...:D^_^

The TAB nz is paying $2.60 for a LR win in race 3.  Looks like a better bet to me! (vs only $1.45 for NZ)

1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Only the teams know by how much.  I liken it to the first couple of rounds of a heavy weight boxing match.  Both fighters are duck dive weaving to see what they other has really got.  I'm picking you will see a much more confident sail by ETNZ in subsequent races.

I hope you're right!

AKL will be back in level 1 by Saturday,  it will be course C Saturday and Sunday, light winds with tides. 

At this stage anyone's race for sure. 

• Like 2

The $$$ Question is who will win most of the starts? Does Luna Rossa have an advantage with bigger foils in the starting box? Yesterday showed Jimmy controlling  both starts but stuffing up time to line in one. If Luna Rossa win the starts they have the tacking speed to cover but what if NZ find another knot somewhere? Pete Burling is under huge pressure IMO because Jimmy has upped his game since Bermuda. Pistol Pete should respond with some surprises as Jimmy seems predictable 

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

That was exactly what happened in San Fran.  Oracle better top speed and VMG but shyte through the tacks.  The difference this time is not configuration (or Herbie) but crew work under race conditions.  I expect to see a sharper performance from ETNZ going forward.  Doesn't take much to get them to focus.

BTW I thought most people were saying that PB would be walked all over by JS at the starts?  1 all at the moment.

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The $$$ Question is who will win most of the starts? Does Luna Rossa have an advantage with bigger foils in the starting box? Yesterday showed Jimmy controlling  both starts but stuffing up time to line in one. If Luna Rossa win the starts they have the tacking speed to cover but what if NZ find another knot somewhere? Pete Burling is under huge pressure IMO because Jimmy has upped his game since Bermuda. Pistol Pete should respond with some surprises as Jimmy seems predictable 

Sorry I don't see how you can say that JS controlled both starts.  You have PB coming in cold (compared to JS's match fitness) and winning one and in the second was in a better position but misjudged the time and distance.

On the one hand you excuse JS for getting time and line wrong but overlook PB.  At this level time and line is mum's apple pie.  Especially when you consider they data they are getting from their screens.  The rest of us have to rely on some one with a stop watch and a visual of the wind!

If your not going to win the starts and fuck  off over the hill then tacking superiority is key, lower down speed through it and you loose too much, add In needing a build phase your gonna get beaten even if you can go as fast/faster once at pace.

foil size you got it or you don’t. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

The difference this time is not configuration (or Herbie)

Lmao! :D 
Okay, you ruined my bothering to discuss anything with you, fool. 

The only auto-pilot ever deployed was by ETNZ, in Bermuda. Exactly as Shoebie has explained too, on video. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Lmao! :D 
Okay, you ruined my bothering to discuss anything with you, fool. 

The only auto-pilot ever deployed was by ETNZ, in Bermuda. Exactly as Shoebie has explained too, on video. 

Oh Ok good sign that you don't know what you are talking about.

You don't even recognise sarcasm when you see it so blinded are you by bias.

8 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Pete Burling is under huge pressure IMO because Jimmy has upped his game since Bermuda. Pistol Pete should respond with some surprises as Jimmy seems predictable 

Will be fascinating to see how PB & co respond.  There was something about PB's attitude/manner at the post-race  presser yesterday that I found curious and am in 2 minds what it means.  He either (1) looked a bit shell shocked that ETNZ didn't have the speed edge he expected or (2) was pissed off with himself about that last race and super determined to figure it all out today.  It think its the latter - he seemed pretty intense and determined.

• Like 1