AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

Just now, Paddywackery said:

Max is as smart as a whippet and mightier still at explained this complex stuff to the dumb and dumber like jaysper and me.

And me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

1 hour ago, southseasbill said:

I saw a claim that ETNZ were sailing with damage to one of their foil flaps. Anything confirming this

I saw this on one of the Facebook pages and posted it last night. Surprising as I have certified domestic blindness. Maybe cavitation damage

158549297_5515603891797951_4978747207428191034_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

These starts are tricky at the best of times. Boats are fast, space is tight and then we have the penalty process which I think borders on dangerous in such close quarters. It’s almost as though you could flick a coin and now with it becoming so important with limited passing upwind from the start, it could get ugly.

Yes but it is the F1 of Sailing.  

Just now, Kate short for Bob said:

Yes but it is the F1 of Sailing.  

Agreed, which is why we need to avoid any red mist or chancery close in. Jimmy’s Hail Mary in Race 1 was ill advised and appeared petulant. When he settled down he soon discovered he had a fast boat so no need for hairy Hail Marys.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WakaNZ said:

Is the race data available to general public? Trying to find the cant angle data. Thanks 

Mozzy sails on YouTube seems to have gotten hold of cant data. Interesting analysis also there.

6 hours ago, F_Maffe said:

Luna Rossa made 2 big mistakes
The first just after the first start trying to give NZ a penality (1st regatta)
The second was the JK at the bottom gate before the last upwind leg (2nd regatta) allowing NZ to split and to come back in the race.

I think it will be a very close fight.

NZ has probably a little more maximum speed and probably more talent. Also, the better know their winds.

LR has probably an advantage in taking techniques (thanks to bigger foils and two helmsmen) and a better boat in very light wind.

50 % - 50 %

the starts are going to get really interesting I think

8 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Agreed, which is why we need to avoid any red mist or chancery close in. Jimmy’s Hail Mary in Race 1 was ill advised and appeared petulant. When he settled down he soon discovered he had a fast boat so no need for hairy Hail Marys.

I disagree.  There was nothing in that race that didn't support his alleged view that they were slower.  That manoeuvre was classic match racing but at higher speed than we are used to.  PB didn't have full view of it but was being fed information from someone watching that quadrant.  Imagine a F1 car being raced with a team "onboard"! 

Top class helmsman playing the edge.  Same in any sport. 

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I disagree.  There was nothing in that race that didn't support his alleged view that they were slower.  That manoeuvre was classic match racing but at higher speed than we are used to.  PB didn't have full view of it but was being fed information from someone watching that quadrant.  Imagine a F1 car being raced with a team "onboard"! 

He chanced his arm when he didn’t need to and that cost them dearly. He lost 70m and had to tack away slightly earlier than he needed to and gave ETNZ momentum.

I'm an above average sailor and viewer.  Riddle me this:

I'm the starboard tack entry. I say "fuck it!".  I'm going to sail straight downhill, hang out for a bit on the lower boundary until I have time on distance, then charge the start line at max VMG.  

Why does nobody do this?  What am I missing?  Explain my ignorance and edify me, please.  Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, richiec said:

Mozzy sails on YouTube seems to have gotten hold of cant data. Interesting analysis also there.

Slip him a fiver and send him a new jumper.

1 minute ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

I'm the starboard tack entry. I say "fuck it!".  I'm going to sail straight downhill, hang out for a bit on the lower boundary until I have time on distance, then charge the start line at max VMG.  

Why does nobody do this?  What am I missing?  Explain my ignorance and edify me, please.  Thanks in advance. 

I have no doubt that it will happen at one of these starts,

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

We teach Opti kids to nail that.  Go figure!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

they could have hit them if they wanted to imo

And that would have been a monumental calamity with no useful purpose served other than misplaced ego

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

That said, Glen Ashby was on his hands and knees fiddling with wires at the end of race 2 and Pete clearly had stuff on his mind. And it wasn’t losing the race, we’ve seen him in those situations and he’s pretty chilled.

I wondered that too about GA but went back and looked at it and I think he is just doing post-race stuff to get the Main down.  But PB was definitely different.  Think he had already switched into the mode of 'how the fuck are we going to manufacture a pass in these races."  He was pretty intense I agree - & was the same in the press conference and post-race interviews.  

• Like 1
Just now, 1eyedkiwi said:

I wondered that too about GA but went back and looked at it and I think he is just doing post-race stuff to get the Main down.  But PB was definitely different.  Think he had already switched into the mode of 'how the fuck are we going to manufacture a pass in these races."  He was pretty intense I agree - & was the same in the press conference and post-race interviews.  

And that’s how you want Pete Burling. Fired up, intense and determined. The best thing that could have happened to ETNZ today was a kick in the arse to burn off the rust and regain his legendary intensity. Two good races, lots of positives and all square. The perfect setup in truth for all concerned. 

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

I saw this on one of the Facebook pages and posted it last night. Surprising as I have certified domestic blindness. Maybe cavitation damage

158549297_5515603891797951_4978747207428191034_o.jpg

More troubling is the possible crack on the bottom of the foil at the on the centerline of the bulb???

or am I seeing stuff that's not there?

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

More troubling is the possible crack on the bottom of the foil at the on the centerline of the bulb???

or am I seeing stuff that's not there?

3 hours ago, snaerk said:

Yes, AND broak the overlap. Sheesh!

Having a bit of bow sprit in there is not overlap. No way was this was a penalty in this event, or any other sailing race. To suggest otherwise is just silly.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, richiec said:

Yes, thanks. That is what inspired the question...."Now where did he get that"

2 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

And that’s how you want Pete Burling. Fired up, intense and determined. The best thing that could have happened to ETNZ today was a kick in the arse to burn off the rust and regain his legendary intensity. Two good races, lots of positives and all square. The perfect setup in truth for all concerned. 

Agree.  A fired up PB is good for ETNZ.  He knows how to make boats reach their full potential and you could argue ETNZ's boat has more potential (maybe?).  

If not, then this is shaping up as a career defining regatta for Burling and Spithill/Bruni.  Who is the best? The fastest boat always wins the AC... until it doesn't!  

What I don't get with ETNZ this AC is why they weren't trying to flame down the pre-match expectations about their speed.  Surely saying "LR look really fast, we will have a battle on our hands, no we don't think we are faster etc etc" is a better approach just in case.  By not doing that they have now put themselves under more pressure when it has turned out that they don't have a significant speed advantage.   The conversation becomes about how good LR which gives them a boost.

And even when PB was asked in the press conference about it he still just trotted out the line "we are happy with where our boat is at" or something like that - rather than "LR showed some real speed today, which wasn't a surprise to us, we knew it was going to be tough etc etc".  Why not even say that LR has an advantage in some areas which could prove decisive - thereby almost putting pressure on LR.    

6 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

this is shaping up as a career defining regatta for Burling and Spithill/Bruni.

If it comes down to the aggressive intensity of decision-making, inside if 1:20 ahead of the start? Wow...  

JS is the guy! Hard to outfox or outbox him. 

4 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

What I don't get with ETNZ this AC is why they weren't trying to flame down the pre-match expectations about their speed. 

I think LR preset ETNZ up to be in this mentally uncomfortable position, perfectly. 

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

If it comes down to the aggressive intensity of decision-making, inside if 1:20 ahead of the start? Wow...  

JS wasn't the 'guy' in Bermuda.  Time will tell this time round...

1 hour ago, Paddywackery said:

Max is as smart as a whippet and mightier still at explained this complex stuff to the dumb and dumber like jaysper and me.

especially @jaysper :D

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

That’s what Luca Devoti was saying: JS is slow firing up on all cylinders, but when he does he’s phenomenal ... :)

1 minute ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

JS wasn't the 'guy' in Bermuda.  Time will tell this time round...

Some of the usual fan-boys have been bragging on about the starts in Bermuda for 4 years, but they ignore that PB was not actually very heroic a starter even there. OR lost several of the starts by being overly-aggressive OCS, and basically split the rest of those starts. 

8 minutes ago, Xlot said:

That’s what Luca Devoti was saying: JS is slow firing up on all cylinders, but when he does he’s phenomenal ... :)

I remember after JS helmed LR in Valencia and once the DoG Match became obvious, how Patrizio got so angry and frustrated about losing JS to OR. PB recognizes key talent. Bruni is no fool either, quite obviously. 

1 hour ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Because that's a dumb move in a match race and unless your opponent is clueless, you will get taken advantage of. All the other boat needs to do is get the leeward hook in and keep you head to wind until the next cup cycle starts. Try to defend? You're so low in the box and close to pin lay that you'll run out of space. That, or they set up on your air, trav to weather for a bit and your time-on-distance is totally fubar.

Best case scenario: they keep clear and do what ETNZ did in R1: start fast and to windward, either roll you or use the boundary to then tack on your nose.

In boats that accelerate from displacement to full in the area of 5 seconds (in normal breeze), there's no advantage to doing what you described.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Some of the usual fan-boys have been bragging on about the starts in Bermuda for 4 years, but they ignore that PB was not actually very heroic a starter even there. OR lost several of the starts by being overly-aggressive OCS, and basically split the rest of those starts. 

'heroic'? how is that measured?

Where were you with these insights all those years ago?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Sure, but the reason he had nowhere to go was because JS knew it, and had him blocked which prevented PB from just baring off and crossing on SB. Right? I’ve seen it only once and it was live. 

I thought Jimmy controlled both starts but stuffed up time to line in Race 1. Apparently he has gone to bed with rule book and been doing heaps of pre start stuff. He is a dedicated match racer. Some of his moves are predictable so let's see what Burling does tomorrow 

12 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I think LR preset ETNZ up to be in this mentally uncomfortable position, perfectly. 

You think a lot of things... most of it wrong, some of it corrected when someone can be bothered.

If you think ETNZ are victims of mind games, you *still* haven't been paying attention to the last few cycles.

• Like 2
Just now, rh3000 said:

You think a lot of things... most of it wrong, some of it corrected when someone can be bothered.

If you think ETNZ are victims of mind games, you *still* haven't been paying attention to the last few cycles.

Yeah Burling is the ice man and I expect him to respond. 

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

I thought Jimmy controlled both starts but stuffed up time to line in Race 1.

Yep, if he had pulled that trigger as soon as PB did, he would very likely have nailed them with the luff right after. It was close! 

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Almost everybody believed the hype about ETNZ being way too fast for LR.  Who spread that rumor? Max, JS and others :D 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

So when JS wins the start he's the "guy" but when PB wins the start its because JS made a mistake.  Sounds like some real objective thinking there :D - you certainly sound like a JS fanboy!

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Shortly after race 2 when he was interviewed by the commentator about LRPP's "surprising speed" PB mumbled something about the start and I thought he in fact looked a bit stunned by that fact. 

56 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

It's hard to just "hang out for a bit" on a boat that needs to be going 15+ knot in order to stay up on the foils. If you are off the foils in the pre-start, you are helpless in every way. You are vulnerable to attack by the other boat, there is the risk you won't be able to get up and on the foils at the right time for the start, etc.

The starting box and starting line are very small for boats that sail at these speeds. Any time they are on the foils, they are generally at 20+ knots, and traverse the entire starting area in a minute or so. Plus, you are sharing that area with another boat doing the same thing you are.  In match racing, if one boat engages, the other boat has little option but to respond if she wants to retain control over her own destiny.

The boundaries change the entire nature of starting (and throughout the race), as does the speed the boats always travel at in order to stay on the foils and maintain the ability to maneuver.

No conventional dial-ups with these boats for the same reason. You can't really hang around luffing head to wind.

The Italians have some real belief now so I can't wait to see how ETNZ respond. The odds are stacked against the Italians big time but they won their 1st ever race against NZ in a cup final. So we wait for different conditions to see how that impacts the racing? Will Burling drop another race I still think we'll see some surprises

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

So when JS wins the start he's the "guy" but when PB wins the start its because JS made a mistake.  Sounds like some real objective thinking there :D - you certainly sound like a JS fanboy!

Actually yes, I do think JS is the best AC starter in recent AC History. 

Am I putting down Pete? Hell no, they are both excellent starters, arguably the best in AC history, although Ed Baird was very sharp too. 

from the boundary dead down wind of the line you may not be on the lay line to either mark so you would have to make at least one tack to get to the line.  If the other boat was further up the course it could chose where to engage and at high speed, so either a hook or a close cover which would be winning moves.

Just now, Stingray~ said:

Am I putting down Pete? Hell no, they are both excellent starters, arguably best in AC history. 

That's a pretty sweeping statement that plenty of people might argue with.

19 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Because that's a dumb move in a match race and unless your opponent is clueless, you will get taken advantage of. All the other boat needs to do is set up to windward, gas for a bit (lots of time if you're at the bottom of the box), and your time-on-distance is totally fubar. That, or they get the leeward hook and keep you head to wind until the next cup cycle starts.

Best case scenario: they keep clear and do what ETNZ did in R1: start fast and to windward, either roll you or use the boundary to then tack on your nose.

In boats that accelerate from displacement to full in less than 10 seconds (in normal breeze), there's no advantage to doing what you described.

Hard disagree. Everything you said is true for displacement and nullified for foilers. 

14 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah Burling is the ice man and I expect him to respond. 

Terra, you make a lot of post where you "expect" this or that to happen.  What you really mean is you "hope" it happens

Latest betting odds have NZ at $1.37 and Luna Rossa at $2.90 after a 1-1 day so I think the punters don't rate the Italian win?  I got on early  at $1.87 still think the Kiwis will be hard to beat. No doubting the Italians have come of age this cup cycle. They have picked up a lot of NZ's traits 

5 minutes ago, accnick said:

That's a pretty sweeping statement that plenty of people might argue with.

We're going to see how good Pete is in the next week. It's a lot easier to be confident starting when you know you can just pass with vastly superior boatspeed as in Bermuda. A different thing when you need to win the start to win the race. 

1 minute ago, pusslicker said:

We're going to see how good Pete is in the next week. It's a lot easier to be confident starting when you know you can just pass with vastly superior boatspeed as in Bermuda. A different thing when you need to win the start to win the race. 

True dat. We're in new territory in this series.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Terra, you make a lot of post where you "expect" this or that to happen.  What you really mean is you "hope" it happens

LOL. No it's expect. I don't hope for either team although I'd love to see Italy do well. ^_^

Pete's Mum says he's at his best under pressure. A couple more wins for LRPP should sharpen him up no end.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

LOL. No it's expect. I don't hope for either team although I'd love to see Italy do well. ^_^

Terra, you are up there with the biggest ETNZ fan boys, so you expect them to win with their superior speed and brilliant tactics  Don't forget the teams best asset is a fellow Victorian.

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Having a bit of bow sprit in there is not overlap. No way was this was a penalty in this event, or any other sailing race. To suggest otherwise is just silly.

Yoo misunderstand my poynt. TNZ lufft to keep kleer, just enuf to brayk the overlap, then LR had no ryts and TNZ kood cum bak on corss , perfekt judjment by keeweez (but hoo woz steering?).

Anyone have advice as to how to calm the nerves/heart rate during the pre-start?  Yesterday was bad enough - my watch alerted me to the fact I was sitting but my heart rate was double what it should be!   I assume other NZ & Italian supporters must be the same? It's only going to be worse now it looks like the pre-start is the winning or losing of the race.  

What do you reckon... get completely plastered? high?

5 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

my heart rate was double what it should be! 

It is tense stuff.....I try to remind myself that it's just sport. I get a similar feeling when the All Blacks are down with only minutes to go.

4 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Anyone have advice as to how to calm the nerves/heart rate during the pre-start?  Yesterday was bad enough - my watch alerted me to the fact I was sitting but my heart rate was double what it should be!   I assume other NZ & Italian supporters must be the same? It's only going to be worse now it looks like the pre-start is the winning or losing of the race.  

What do you reckon... get completely plastered? high?

I agree. On the matter, I wonder how the hell JS has that insane low heart rate during races. I have higher values even reading a newspaper!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, snaerk said:

(but hoo woz steering?).

Does it matter? As long as they respond to the luff in a timely manner - which they did. Jimmy's Hail Mary's are becoming a feature of this cup. What's it, 3 or 4 now?

12 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Pete's Mum says he's at his best under pressure. A couple more wins for LRPP should sharpen him up no end.

That's also the problem, Give Jimmy a sniff at the cup and the Pitbull within emerges. Did you happen to see the interview where he shared his thoughts on losing the cup, what he learned and the lessons going into this campaign? 

5 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Does it matter? As long as they respond to the luff in a timely manner - which they did. Jimmy's Hail Mary's are becoming a feature of this cup. What's it, 3 or 4 now?

it iz interesting, becoz PB kood not see LR threw the sale

2 minutes ago, snaerk said:

PB kook not see LR threw the sale

Yeah but there's a whole heap of eyes on the port side watching for him, and Glen can always yank the wheel if he has to.

2 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Max reckons that the foil hydraulics are losing pressure and I think he’s onto something there but I’m not nearly smart enough to know. That said, Glen Ashby was on his hands and knees fiddling with wires at the end of race 2 and Pete clearly had stuff on his mind. And it wasn’t losing the race, we’ve seen him in those situations and he’s pretty chilled.

Very interesting observations I notice GA on his knees and Pete looked a little rattled. Jimmy was very calm after Race 2 down playing his involvement. 

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah LR were slowing as they did that, were never gonna get there

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I agree. On the matter, I wonder how the hell JS has that insane low heart rate during races. I have higher values even reading a newspaper!

He is super fit, his standing heart rate is similar to Richie McCaws. 

Take your lady out for a late lunch, around 2pm pour her one last glass of Sauv, around 3pm get her excited and throw the leg over. Your heart rate should be chilled to grab a beer around 4pm and settle in for some of the best YouTube you have seen this year...

32 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Almost everybody believed the hype about ETNZ being way too fast for LR.  Who spread that rumor? Max, JS and others :D 

It's hard to tell... from what I read on the forums its

• ETNZ themselves because they are arrogant arseholes
  • All the NZ media because they are idiots
  • All the ETNZ fans because they are fawning arrogant fanboiys
  • All the ITA fans because they are really smart
  • LR because they are genuis mind game players

..."everybody believed" - Again, who is everybody?

• You think ETNZ thought this would be a walk in the park?
  • You think all NZ media thought this would be a routing?
  • You think all ETNZ fans believed LR were going to get pumped?
  • You think all ITA fans are in on same scheme?
  • You think LR have time and energy to bother?

What about Ben? What's his secret agenda? Was he a mole for LR?

Some people want ETNZ to win, some people want LR to win. Some people predicted one team would be better than the other. If you think its novel that breaks down similar to which team you support then quelle surprise!

The reality is that ETNZ has a fucking fast boat, certainly faster than any of the other challengers, and from what I saw, slightly faster than the other fucking fast boat that LR has, but not quite enough to address for suboptimal sailing from behind.

To me these are two amazing boats, and two amazing teams, with fantastically equal performance around the track with some fucking close racing and smart strategies as play.

To you it seems to more about "Real Housewives of the Eastern Viaduct". Why does everything have to be so base?

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that TNZ do actually have enough extra boat speed to pass - in yesterday's breeze strength anyway.  Sure, the start matters, but I think these charts from erdb across in boats and foils better explain why TNZ didn't win that second race.

favtack.png.d08908bd538602820c85c40c4da0243a.pngfavtack.png.f16e646ce799e527a2f0e10bf23da4a6.png

Because the other aggressive skipper comes after you, sits in your wind from above, comes at your from below, treats you like a cat does a mouse, completely stuffs your max VMG, you miss the start by 10 sec with them sitting above you (or below) pouring shit from a great height. 

Race over.

9 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

The reality is that ETNZ has a fucking fast boat, slightly faster than the other fucking fast boat that LR has

^^ You discourse changes now, ETNZ is not too fast for LR ? going 2 or 3 kts faster ? sailing over 60 kts ? winning 7-0 ? Clown  :D

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Um JS wasn't "seriously killed" in the first start?  Or was it moderately killed?d

Of course you realise that ETNZ were on Port entry second start so supposedly at a "disadvantage"!

If you think Port entry is a disadvantage, you have not been paying attention.

14 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

To me these are two amazing boats, and two amazing teams, with fantastically equal performance around the track with some fucking close racing and smart strategies as play.

We can agree on that part :) 

Again, the big surprise from yesterday was that TR is not any faster, or only barely faster, even in their presumed 12-16 knots advantage-range..