AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

5 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

1298095542_ScreenShot2021-03-10at4_30_58PM.png.4c5bbbbdbab481342d5fdb4cc31b180d.png

LR was late trueing up to the line and NZ traveling 4 knots faster at the start.  Once they got up to speed LR had lost the overlap. They then lifted up to cause a penalty and were 100 meters behind after that.  LR then tacked away which lost them even more distance.  So the lead was from 3 errors on LR point and not pure boat speed on NZ!

Yes, they were. So was that a mistake? Or did they just get bested in the start? Is this the way you're going to play this? If ETNZ wins the start, its because LR made a mistake? But if LR wins the start its because they're just plain faster and better? Yeah right.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

What I don't get with ETNZ this AC is why they weren't trying to flame down the pre-match expectations about their speed. 

... and whatever the situation I don't think the use of the word "dynasty" before a regatta is the best choice.

In support on the other side there's the practical aspect of managing expectations in the Match if the other boat has to make decisions then can't re-measure (?) - could potentially tempt LR to roll the dice a little more than required...

3 hours ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

I'm an above average sailor and viewer.  Riddle me this:

I'm the starboard tack entry. I say "fuck it!".  I'm going to sail straight downhill, hang out for a bit on the lower boundary until I have time on distance, then charge the start line at max VMG.  

Why does nobody do this?  What am I missing?  Explain my ignorance and edify me, please.  Thanks in advance. 

Start area is too small, I think.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

You never left.......and we're all just busting our nuts to hear your pearls of wisdom.........

I did leave primarily because of Fourourselves!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I did leave primarily because of Fourourselves!

welcome back DG , be good and ignore the trolls. some people can separate national pride and sanity, others can't.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah ah, I have to say F himself and rh2000idiot posts make my day :)

Looks like you are rooting for the Italians. Be careful what you wish for. Patrizio may change his mind again and dump the AC 75 CLASS! That would be bad. I don't want displacement Sailing that's why I am rooting for the Kiwis.

1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

People bag Four because he's a dyed in the wool Kiwi supporter...Turns out he has other virtues as well.....Who knew?

I have to acknowledge Four is one eyed but he is not nasty and I don't think he takes himself too seriously, unlike some others. :)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 1eyedkiwi said:
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Some of the usual fan-boys have been bragging on about the starts in Bermuda for 4 years, but they ignore that PB was not actually very heroic a starter even there. OR lost several of the starts by being overly-aggressive OCS, and basically split the rest of those starts. 

So when JS wins the start he's the "guy" but when PB wins the start its because JS made a mistake.  Sounds like some real objective thinking there :D - you certainly sound like a JS fanboy!

Here's a little something for the serious JS fanboys. You can thank me after

jimmyspithill.jpg

5 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

welcome back DG , be good and ignore the trolls. some people can separate national pride and sanity, others can't.

Thanks! Looking forward to the next Race Days. ETNZ win ensures the British AC Challenge continues. If the Italians win the Brits are done I think.

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Looks like you are rooting for the Italians. Be careful what you wish for. Patrizio may change his mind again and dump the AC 75 CLASS! That would be bad. I don't want displacement Sailing that's why I am rooting for the Kiwis.

carefull there, do you know what "rooting" means down here ?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Patrizio wants an improved AC75, meaning  without the present flaws, and that could be interesting. And we don't know if Grant and Ben would chose a multi, probably smaller "AC75" for budger reasons, no interest in that.

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Patrizio wants an improved AC75, meaning  without the present flaws, and that could be interesting. And we don't know if Grant and Ben would chose a multi, probably smaller "AC75" for budger reasons, no interest in that.

So, wait? now you want the AC75 to continue? 2 years ago it was stupid, unstable, too unsafe and too expensive, now you have no interest in any of those things? I hate to brag but I told you so.

we don't know if Grant and Ben would chose a multi,

Why do you think they would go back to a multi?

probably smaller "AC75" for budger reasons

If NZ defend it'll be an AC75 with a few mods...they'll want the old boats to be useful and have value.

• Like 1

Wow, reading all the rhetoric in here, one would think the Kiwis had already lost The Cup. 

Standby motherfuckers. You're about to order a side of fries with that hat.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I have to acknowledge Four is one eyed but he is not nasty and I don't think he takes himself too seriously, unlike some others. :)

That is not the Point! Although I haven't commented here in over a year I do read the Comments.

The way Four consistently changes his mind is quite ridiculous! The way he was rooting for the Brits in the Prada Cup was quite something to behold after being dead against them before that for a very long time.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So, wait? now you want the AC75 to continue? 2 years ago it was stupid, unstable, too unsafe and too expensive, now you have no interest in any of those things? I hate to brag but I told you so.

^^ Patrizio never said he wanted the same AC75.

6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Thanks! Looking forward to the next Race Days. ETNZ win ensures the British AC Challenge continues. If the Italians win the Brits are done I think.

If LR win ETNZ may fold too. If they lose they’d be unlikely to get government $ & without Emirates I’m not sure where the funds needed would come from.  Plus - would GD have the drive to go again? It would be tough... 

@Horn Rock

Ben won't be CoR. I hope not. I don't want them to. Too much distraction in my mind. Yes, you get to set the Rules for the next Event but that gets IMO outweighted by having too much responsibilities and continuous legal challenges. Not worth it from my Point of view.

2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Ben won't be CoR.

You need someone with cash to run the challenger event. Ratty ticks that box......Ineos Challenger Cup series.....not the same glam as fancy over priced handbags........but I can live with that....

Just now, dg_sailingfan said:

That is not the Point! Although I haven't commented here in over a year I do read the Comments.

The way Four consistently changes his mind is quite ridiculous! The way he was rooting for the Brits in the Prada Cup was quite something to behold after being dead against them before that for a very long time.

I was never "Rooting for" the Brits. There is only one team I have EVER supported, and it aint the British! 

3 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

If LR win ETNZ may fold too. If they lose they’d be unlikely to get government $ & without Emirates I’m not sure where the funds needed would come from.  Plus - would GD have the drive to go again? It would be tough... 

ETNZ ain't going to lose! History tells us that Defender usually defends the 1st Time around. Only in one case has the Defender not defended and that was 1987 when the Americans got it straight back after losing in 1983 to Australia.

4 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

You need someone with cash to run the challenger event. Ratty ticks that box......Ineos Challenger Cup series.....not the same glam as fancy over priced handbags........but I can live with that....

I am well aware of the Cash Issue Horn! Surely Grant can find someone else to do CoR. That guy who funded the Scallywag VOR Team would come to my mind.

5 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

ETNZ ain't going to lose! History tells us that Defender usually defends the 1st Time around. Only in one case has the Defender not defended and that was 1987 when the Americans got it straight back after losing in 1983 to Australia.

Yeah... “Usually wins” isn’t  the most convincing argument though <_<

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Yeah... “Usually wins” isn’t  the most convincing argument though <_<

It might be a tighter Series though with the lightish winds forecasted for the weekend.

19 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I was never "Rooting for" the Brits. There is only one team I have EVER supported, and it aint the British! 

But you did want the Brits to do well in the Prada Cup. I wonder why after trashing them in the 3 years prior to the Start of AC36.

14 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Grant can find someone else to do CoR. That guy who funded the Scallywag VOR Team would come to my mind.

I'm sure Grant will take your suggestions on board, and give them the due considerations they deserve. Meanwhile Ratty has offered GD a fuel deal when they fit the new V12 Mercs on the chase boats.

Honest question:

At these speeds with the true wind angle so far forward where exactly is "tacking" on somebody and really how effective is it?  I'm thinking normal boats is like a piece of pizza at maybe 35 degrees and these things would be like a pencil at like 10-15 degrees?

The announcers make a big deal of not "hitting" the other team asif they were trying to but couldn't but I'd rather lead back to the pressure/shift than try and mess with their wind with that narrow of a shadow.

12 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

But you did want the Brits to do well in the Prada Cup. I wonder why after trashing them in the 3 years prior to the Start of AC36.

"Trashed them" If I remember rightly, you were also trashing them. In fact you were trashing this whole event saying it should not have even happened! Then you said Ben was gutless and didn't have what it took to win, had no idea how to manage a team and never had a chance.

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Honest question:

At these speeds with the true wind angle so far forward where exactly is "tacking" on somebody and really how effective is it?  I'm thinking normal boats is like a piece of pizza at maybe 35 degrees and these things would be like a pencil at like 10-15 degrees?

The announcers make a big deal of not "hitting" the other team asif they were trying to but couldn't but I'd rather lead back to the pressure/shift than try and mess with their wind with that narrow of a shadow.

The size and nature of the disturbance in the wind is mostly a function of power and drag, rather than AWA. These boats are pretty low drag, but have a huge amount of power. It would be great to see a model of the affect these boats have on the wind around them.

• Like 1

Its funny, an opposition win one race, and suddenly its like ETNZ have lost the Cup. ETNZ win the first race, and the reaction was "Boring, Team NZ winning lop sided racing is bad for the event, if its close racing and the Kiwi's win, the reaction is "boring, That was completely expected" and when they lose a race, its "Team NZ suck, they're gonna lose the Americas Cup" Haters gon hate.

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The big surprise to most of us is that this is not true. Look at erdb’s charts from yesterday, the boats were almost dead-even in upwind VMG (even including extra tacks by LR) and while TR’s downwind VMG was 2 knots better, much of it can be explained by LR playing cover more than attacking the shifts. There was NO ‘significant margin’ - even in those wind conditions.

This is what everyone is so surprised by, after all the speculation that TR was going to be some kind of rocket ship.. 

not everyone... only if you believed all the BS about how invincible NZ was...  

I think they went to a similar edge of the foil design space as AM.  NZ may be doing it better than AM did, but LR started out with very small foils and intentionally made them larger for more stability, better tacking speeds and better high mode.   It is kind of ironic that NZ won the last cup with a boat that could point higher than anyone else and now they are sailing a boat that was designed for speed instead of pointing high. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Its funny, an opposition win one race, and suddenly its like ETNZ have lost the Cup. ETNZ win the first race, and the reaction was "Boring, Team NZ winning lop sided racing is bad for the event, if its close racing and the Kiwi's win, the reaction is "boring, That was completely expected" and when they lose a race, its "Team NZ suck, they're gonna lose the Americas Cup" Haters gon hate.

sit................stay............... we're doing just fine

3 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

not everyone... only if you believed all the BS about how invincible NZ was...  

I think they went to a similar edge of the foil design space as AM.  NZ may be doing it better than AM did, but LR started out with very small foils and intentionally made them larger for more stability, better tacking speeds and better high mode.   It is kind of ironic that NZ won the last cup with a boat that could point higher than anyone else and now they are sailing a boat that was designed for speed instead of pointing high. 

Shit. One race and now you know what the boat was designed for. Smh haters gon hate.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Yes, they were. So was that a mistake? Or did they just get bested in the start? Is this the way you're going to play this? If ETNZ wins the start, its because LR made a mistake? But if LR wins the start its because they're just plain faster and better? Yeah right.

No.  I was responding to you saying that the start was even and NZ pulled away with pure speed.  Obviously, that was not the case.

Just now, The_Alchemist said:

No.  I was responding to you saying that the start was even and NZ pulled away with pure speed.  Obviously, that was not the case.

The start was even. As even as two boats can get in a pre start

The kiwis quest for straight line speed with the small foil package is not looking so hot in an actual race that requires tacking. In 15 knots the tacking down speed and time compared to Luna Racer is their weak spot. What is it going to look like in the 10knot ranges about to happen?

F5B993B6-6E98-4B49-95B3-7CA2D077317B.jpeg

• Like 2

So, where will The Dalton Dial be set after tomorrow's encounters with LRPP? Maybe a bit further in the red, I'm picking.

Looking forward to another day's racing.

Go ETNZ!

MMTXI4IB6Y3YQKA7FQLSQW7WOQ.jpg

• Like 1
On 3/10/2021 at 3:58 PM, JALhazmat said:

Really? This has been them all through the Prada cup. 

why the hell is anyone supprised.  They can lean on the bigger foils put more power in and maintain speed everyone else with smaller foils has a small build phase that costs them

Boat behind will always have to tack or guns in dirty air most of the time too . Race one wasn’t as evident 

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I wonder what the flaws are considered to be, and what an "improved" AC75 would look like?

52 minutes ago, Woodsies Troppo said:

The kiwis quest for straight line speed with the small foil package is not looking so hot in an actual race that requires tacking. In 15 knots the tacking down speed and time compared to Luna Racer is their weak spot. What is it going to look like in the 10knot ranges about to happen?

F5B993B6-6E98-4B49-95B3-7CA2D077317B.jpeg

Conversely, given LR's race toughness, you'd expect them to be a lot better too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Sigh!

when to boats meet on the water, there are rules that determine right of way and obligations of that right of way.  These rules are used by match racers to control the other boat. If you want you say one boat "bested" the other, then you need to refer to the rules rather than feelings.

So in this start, LRPP was ROW boat and not early for the pin. They had some control over NZ coming to windward and could have pushed her up to either OCS or to at least slow her. Or they could have just accelerated for the pin, getting the jump on NZ.

Instead they must have wrongly thought they were a little early and bore away, giving NZ room to accelerate and get bow forward. So that was the mistake. More importantly, it was an unforced one, with nothing to do with how NZ sailed.

The second start was an unforced mistake by NZ as they looked to try for a hook very late, so LR just accelerated to the line and gassed NZ who were then slow + late and had to tack to clear their air before the line.

See, it is possible to be a fan boy and objective at the same time! You should try it.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Conversely, given LR's race toughness, you'd expect them to be a lot better too.

LR have sure gotten the "package" up to speed.  Hats off to them.  :)

But I'm going way out on a limb, and say that tomorrow's races will be either 1-1, or 2-0 NZ's way. Despite the predicted light air.

I have a feeling all was not 100% with TR yesterday.

But as always, my armchair disagrees with me. :unsure:

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

what an "improved" AC75 would look like?

The most obvious would be an improved version of the FCS, with greater reliability, and less maintenance. They'll probably lose the bowsprit. Being able to change out your foils might come in? Less likely, but could happen, a heavy air rig, consisting of a smaller mast. Would raise costs though, having to develop a bunch of extra sails.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

The most obvious would be an improved version of the FCS, with greater reliability, and less maintenance. They'll probably lose the bowsprit. Being able to change out your foils might come in? Less likely, but could happen, a heavy air rig, consisting of a smaller mast. Would raise costs though, having to develop a bunch of extra sails.

Swappable foils whilst sailing, from sub to super cavitating?

Unless they get enough unobtainium to engineer my convertible design. :lol:

image.png.7bef21d8e435ea1db923070da200dcbb.png

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

It is kind of ironic that NZ won the last cup with a boat that could point higher than anyone else and now they are sailing a boat that was designed for speed instead of pointing high

For what I've seen in the first two races yesterday ETNZ has a fu**ing good high mode. Basically the same of LR. If they managed to get both no chance for LR.

5 hours ago, weta27 said:

DSC_6402.JPG

DSC_6626.JPG

DSC_6618.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_6474.JPG

DSC_6480.JPG

Weta, great shots, what equipment are you using?

5 hours ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Anyone have advice as to how to calm the nerves/heart rate during the pre-start?  Yesterday was bad enough - my watch alerted me to the fact I was sitting but my heart rate was double what it should be!   I assume other NZ & Italian supporters must be the same? It's only going to be worse now it looks like the pre-start is the winning or losing of the race.  

What do you reckon... get completely plastered? high?

Mee too! I guess we need beta blockers on start... 

8 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Their 4pm forecast is 3 knots, with gusts to 11 knots:blink:  Oh well, seeing is believing, but until then I'm just hoping for 6.5+.

2 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Mee too! I guess we need beta blockers on start... 

Using beta blockers already and they don't help with this close racing induced anxiety a whole lot, IMO. ;-)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Thewas said:

For what I've seen in the first two races yesterday ETNZ has a fu**ing good high mode. Basically the same of LR. If they managed to get both no chance for LR.

If you give it all away in the tack your high mode doesn’t mean a bloody thing. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

in R1, LR lost in taks hwen in TR derty air, and TR did not hwen in kleen

Proof by selekted instansez iz not proof

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Well, it allows you to hold on in many uncomfortable positions and still prevent your opponent to park you in prestart. 
IN a match race is quite useful stuff.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sfigone said:

Sigh!

when to boats meet on the water, there are rules that determine right of way and obligations of that right of way.  These rules are used by match racers to control the other boat. If you want you say one boat "bested" the other, then you need to refer to the rules rather than feelings.

So in this start, LRPP was ROW boat and not early for the pin. They had some control over NZ coming to windward and could have pushed her up to either OCS or to at least slow her. Or they could have just accelerated for the pin, getting the jump on NZ.

Instead they must have wrongly thought they were a little early and bore away, giving NZ room to accelerate and get bow forward. So that was the mistake. More importantly, it was an unforced one, with nothing to do with how NZ sailed.

The second start was an unforced mistake by NZ as they looked to try for a hook very late, so LR just accelerated to the line and gassed NZ who were then slow + late and had to tack to clear their air before the line.

See, it is possible to be a fan boy and objective at the same time! You should try it.

Between 12 and 8 seconds out from race start in race 1, both boats are sailing the length of the line to kill a few seconds, at 8 seconds Francesco Bruni is heard saying “racing team” then both boats turn up to the line. ETNZ has enough separation behind LR giving them a lower, faster angle to the line and build speed faster than LR. Better time on distance and a faster angle saw ETNZ roll over LR and Jimmy get desperate. In R2, the Kiwis clearly have issues as Glenn is heard audibly swearing saying “Fuck” followed by “fuck sorry boys” so clearly something went wrong, for him anyway, right before the gun. They went too high up above the line, fell off the foil and were late back to the line.

Very light forecast for Friday (and pretty much all weekend, by the look).

Southerlies 5-7 knots for tomorrow afternoon.

Has LRPP really got the legs in the light? I guess we're about to find out.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 9.01.54 PM.png

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Swappable foils whilst sailing, from sub to super cavitating?

Unless they get enough unobtainium to engineer my convertible design. :lol:

image.png.7bef21d8e435ea1db923070da200dcbb.png

I'm pretty sure in few years we're gettin there just by materials flexibility (some kind of aero brake that push open the trailing edge over a certain speed). 
But don't you still going to need ventilation? (asking from my impressive photographer scientific background :D)

2 hours ago, Rainier said:

Honest question:

Outeridge and some of the other team members who have done commentary story have indicated that it's very narrow and almost straight off the stern.

I'm not sure how the actual wash compares to regular mainsails - talking to a few people who were involved in the 50s and apparently the 'wing wash' was actually far less noticable than compared to traditional soft sails because the air flow was so efficient over the wings. I'd expect the twin-skin mainsails have differing 'wash' profiles depending on how much camber is induced into the mainsail - deep camber for speed builds will likely create much more disturbed air than the flat profiles when they're on the numbers going upwind. 

Whilst it may be reduced compared to regular soft sails it still seems to have enough effect to be of value in these match racing scenarios but I'd be intrigued to see how much emphasis was put on it in a fleet race scenario...

4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Looking at the forecast we're 'bout to find out how's a full night sleep until Monday...

12 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 9.01.54 PM.png

Yeah, it was surprising to not seeing a smashing superiority by TR in medium conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if TR performs above the expectations in light winds...

7 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Yeah, it was surprising to not seeing a smashing superiority by TR in medium conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if TR performs above the expectations in light winds...

Being your from Italy you might be a tiny tiny bit bias.

9 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Being your from Italy you might be a tiny tiny bit bias.

What I was trying to say is that all the speculations made before the Match, until now, proven to be wrong: 

1. TR greater speed edge, particularly in medium-high wind range
  2. LR (potential) edge over TR in light winds.

We've seen that point 1 was wrong, now (I hope not!)  we might discover that also point 2 was wrong, with no advantage to LR end in light winds?

• Like 1

This issue of wash is interesting, I can understand the minimal wash of an efficient sail argument and yet neither boat has been able to get past from underneath yet, and I almost expected the Kiwis might. I suspect they are marginally faster, I guess just not fast enough. Pure speed can do it, I sailed a regatta over xmas on  Farrier 8.5, that thing sailed past a long line of monos to windward like they were standing still, above, below, didn't matter if they dropped down on us or luffed up, the wind shadows were just a brief blip even the bigger ones didn't have the legs to slow us down one bit. But I digress :D

47 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Thanks Dolphin, Nikon D7200 with Nikon AF-S 200-500mm zoom.

I carry a second D7000 body with 18-140mm zoom, for wide shots.

I suffer from severe size-envy when I am amongst the pros with their massive lenses, and would love a better body, but I suppose that's just natural when you get to my age! 

• Like 11

@Redreuben I think if we get back on some courses with big shifts or a heavily favoured side then we may see instances when leeward boats choose to foot off rather than tack away in order to keep heading towards a favoured course position - I think it happened a few times already in the other regattas but I can't recall specific instances....

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Thanks Dolphin, Nikon D7200 with Nikon AF-S 200-500mm zoom.

I carry a second D7000 body with 18-140mm zoom, for wide shots.

I suffer from severe size-envy when I am amongst the pros with their massive lenses, and would love a better body, but I suppose that's just natural when you get to my age! 

Thanks for this, and as always, for the amazing photos you share with us :)

just wondering, what sort of ballpark resolution are the photos you're taking? 

And in terms of memory cards, I guess you are using SDXC, do you recommend a size/type?