AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

If someone can understand Italian or wish to try with automatic subtitles translation,  this is IMHO the best post race analysis YouTube channel from Italian media. With Ganga Bruni.

• Like 3
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

If someone can understand Italian or wish to try with automatic subtitles translation,  this is IMHO the best post race analysis YouTube channel from Italian media. With Ganga Bruni.

Ma dai! Only 35 minutes long??? How can 45 minutes of racing be analysed in anything less that 2 or 3 hours!  Only 2 people talking? Surely they need a panel of 8 or more? Maybe some audience participation??? Are you sure they are really italian?

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Zaal said:

A brief history of facts that were deemed to be absolutely true and then turned out to be completely wrong: 

- the boats will race both in displacement and flying (at the beginning)

- flat hulls are designed for flying only, the ones with the skeg/bustle for flying/displacement (after B1s launch) 

- LR is slow and hopeless, it's designed too conservatively (after LR B2 launch)

- Ineos B2 will be super fast, a radical new design (after Ineos B2 launch)

- Ineos wings 3&4 are pure genius, it's clear the BMW designers helped them (after Ineos B2 launch)

- AM it's clearly the best boat in maneuvering (during the training)

- AM is the most serious candidates to be the Prada Cup winner (after ACWS)

- Ineos is a dog, a terrible boat, poorly designed and sailed (after ACWS)

- Ineos in unbeatable (after the RR) 

- The double helm is a joke, LR clearly lacks match-racing and tactical skills (after the RR)

- LR will have no chance against Ineos, they'll go home crying (after RR)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things. For sure I know what I'd like to add to the list in the near future :D

and you wont find a single person who made those statements/supported those positions happy to hold their hands up and admit it.

• Like 1

Interesting point from Sue McFadden. Though does co-driving count!

Jimmy Spithill, Luna Rossa’s co-driver who became the helmsman with the most wins in Cup history with his 15th race victory. 

Also maybe layday on Tuesday with mutual consent. 

Race director Iain Murray says the teams have discussed making next Tuesday a lay day. Now it seems the match could well stretch that far. 

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/americas-cup-first-up-a-draw-on-water-and-on-land

12 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Jimmy Spithill, Luna Rossa’s co-driver who became the helmsman with the most wins in Cup history with his 15th race victory. 

Race director Iain Murray says the teams have discussed making next Tuesday a lay day. Now it seems the match could well stretch that far. 

Those whining handbags will be already packing with their miserable Prada Cup in their handluggage on Tuesday. Sorry I'm not "forourselves". GET OUT OF THIS BODY!!!!! :D :D :D

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

If LR allows for a layday they are dumb as shit.  Laydays ALWAYS benefit the Defender more than the Challenger.  2013.  Hello!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

If LR allows for a layday they are dumb as shit.  Laydays ALWAYS benefit the Defender more than the Challenger.  2013.  Hello!

It was a misunderstanding. Maybe they think the NEXT Defender will benefit :D

17 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

By the way, anybody else notice how noisy TR is?

I’m reminded of a post by @ncs at the height of the FCS malfunction crisis, where he explained that ETNZ had taken a shortcut by using over-voltaged on-off valves instead of the appropriate control valves. One by-product is in fact a strong rattling noise. I had this mentioned to Gianni Cariboni and he said it didn’t apply to the foil arms hydraulics, but to the traveler - which seems to be the case

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Maybe worth a shot though if you are losing heavily. To break the momentum?

7 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Maybe worth a shot though if you are losing heavily. To break the momentum?

Sure if you are getting your ass kicked but ETNZ has much more juice to squeeze out of the boat than LR does IMHO. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Xlot said:

I’m reminded of a post by @ncs at the height of the FCS malfunction crisis, where he explained that ETNZ had taken a shortcut by using over-voltaged on-off valves instead of the appropriate control valves. One by-product is in fact a strong rattling noise. I had this mentioned to Gianni Cariboni and he said it didn’t apply to the foil arms hydraulics, but to the traveler - which seems to be the case

Similar noise onboard LRPP here, maybe they have a similar system?

you can pan around on mobile, TR is nowhere near them at the beginning

1 hour ago, mako23 said:

But even after all these years, the team  I still don’t want to ever see again ....Alinghi 

I have to admit that this one was the most disgusting way to win the cup, not only bribing people from the best team, but stealing members of a community in first place and a country in second place, who culturally lives for sailing....

From there on, any member jumping from one team to an other, was considered to be negligible and mostly ignored.

Money

41 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Super interesting, thank you!  I recall AM was really noisy too, there was a loud high-pitched sound

No one mentioned the episode during the post race press conference, when Jimmy attacked the journalist "people like you?"....... who is the journalist and what did he write to be humiliated like that?

From S-W: AKL back in Level 1 from today, Course C to be used right away?

In other news:

The simple point is that this Match should never have been started until Auckland reached Alert Level 1, and started on the original racing schedule, with proper time allowed boats to have deep- maintenance to be undertaken as originally intended

RG’s achieving new heights in his “plaintive Kiwi” impersonation

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Xlot said:

From S-W: AKL back in Level 1 from today, Course C to be used right away?

In other news:

RG’s achieving new heights in his “plaintive Kiwi” impersonation

I don't agree with Richard Gladwell a lot but here he is 100 % absolutely right. This AC Match should have never started under Alert Level 2 Restrictions.

New Zealand and Auckland in particular have already lost a lot of revenue because borders are closed. The Country thrives on Toursism especially during the Summer & Early Autumn Months (November through March)

Here is a little snippet from his Article on S-W:

The walk back from the media centre around 9.30pm, was a sobering experience.

After the first day of the America's Cup, when each teams' fans should have been celebrating a win, and drowning their sorrows over a loss, the many watering-holes of the America's Cup environs should have been full to gunnels. One was about 75% capacity, and the others 25%, empty or closed completely.

It was a stark contrast to the same scene in the America's Cup World Series were all were packed to their picket fences.

Downtown Auckland is in its death throes thanks to the Lockdowns. The current Alert status is killing what should be a fantastic America's Cup ashore an on the water.

Only the TV ratings will be the big winners.

While the Kiwi's sleep, and we mind the fort during the night shift, previous murmurings of low winds for today sound ominous. A glance at the weather forecast seems to confirm that winds may well be below the start requirements. Here's hoping that's not the case and we get the races away. Fingers crossed, alarm clocks need to be set on this side of the world :lol:

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

While the Kiwi's sleep, and we mind the fort during the night shift, previous murmurings of low winds for today sound ominous. A glance at the weather forecast seems to confirm that winds may well be below the start requirements. Here's hoping that's not the case and we get the races away. Fingers crossed, alarm clocks need to be set on this side of the world :lol:

:lol::lol:

NZ & Auckland Business Leaders take swipe at PM Ardern and her Labor Government for delaying Decision to move to Alert Level 1. I can understand their frustration. If they already made that Decision why not telling?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/kiwis-deserve-more-respect-government-under-fire-for-delay-in-alert-level-announcement/7W6LX764NKDCJNTAYZVUQFAUUE/

PM Ardern set to reveal Decision at 11.30am Local Time. This is just bad timing because Alert Level 1 would not come into effect until Saturday.

3 minutes ago, D_Dog said:

Looks like the general Auckland forecasting is 6kts at 1600. Does anyone have a forecast for the racecourse?

Generally speaking Course C is likely having more Wind than Course A or E but because of the stupid timeframe and Auckland likely still operating under Level 2 throughout Friday it can't be used.

6 minutes ago, D_Dog said:

Looks like the general Auckland forecasting is 6kts at 1600. Does anyone have a forecast for the racecourse?

The forecasted weather does not take into account the sea breeze. 

Having said that, the weather may well be very slight. Good for fishing but fuck all else. 

2 hours ago, strider470 said:

Oggi in un modo o nell'altro si griglia :D :D Sei pronto @jaysper?

Today, in one way or another, there is barbecue! :D :D Are you ready jaysper?

strider.jpg.65bf99df2e8af8f399e7c4c03c942f0c.jpgJaysper.jpg.12a03ba91d0b81c6133a75d9af562194.jpg

Woohooo! I understand char-grilled Italian is delicious! Bring it on! :D

38 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Woohooo! I understand char-grilled Italian is delicious! Bring it on! :D

You could have some cholesterol problems, I warn you :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Generally speaking Course C is likely having more Wind than Course A or E but because of the stupid timeframe and Auckland likely still operating under Level 2 throughout Friday it can't be used.

Under the circumstances Auckland and NZ have done a superbe job in staging the event. I would be quite hesitant to call the timeframe or Auckland's caution in dealing with the pandemic  "stupid".

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

You could have some cholesterol problems, I warn you :D

LOL! To be fair, after my outrageous levels of bravado before race 1 I am TOTALLY due a barbequeing already! :lol:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Enzedel92 said:

The difference is that this time no modifications are allowed.

2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

The difference is that this time no modifications are allowed.

There are still tons of modifications that can take place. Sail plans, aero components, software updates, even changes to the foil weight distribution. 

11 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

I wonder what the flaws are considered to be, and what an "improved" AC75 would look like?

I think Max mentioned some ideas like allowing them to change the sail plan more (smaller mast for high winds) and some modifications to the foil/rudder rules.  He thought a next generation would be capable of 60 knots...

19 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

I think Max mentioned some ideas like allowing them to change the sail plan more (smaller mast for high winds) and some modifications to the foil/rudder rules.  He thought a next generation would be capable of 60 knots...

I thought it was this generation! ;)

7 hours ago, Zaal said:

Alinghi's return seems very possible 

Lazza is, in general, a prized cunt. But in terms of the AC itself he did far more good than bad.

Conner was just a loud mouth yank.

Bertarelli tried to make sure that he could never lose the AC through utterly despicable means.

If he were to win the cup, he would not make the same mistake twice. His puppet CoR would be valid and he would hold onto the AC as long as his miserable carcass stays above ground.

Fuck Bertarelli.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

The forecasted weather does not take into account the sea breeze. 

Having said that, the weather may well be very slight. Good for fishing but fuck all else. 

That's not good, sounds like we won't be setting the alarm clocks so.

LRPP port entry, light winds, tight start box, bigger foils, momentum and more practice at starting in race conditions......JS has to be feeling pitbullish methinks. That's if we get any wind at all.

11 hours ago, Thewas said:

For what I've seen in the first two races yesterday ETNZ has a fu**ing good high mode. Basically the same of LR. If they managed to get both no chance for LR.

There was a point on the first leg in the second race where they both point very high with speed in the low 30's...  NO talked about it during the coverage.  NZ was able to keep close, but lost ground.  Her is a screen shot of that leg:

1348996174_ScreenShot2021-03-11at1_24_58PM.thumb.png.5846828538d678dc72616449e37b12e9.png

10 hours ago, weta27 said:

Thanks Dolphin, Nikon D7200 with Nikon AF-S 200-500mm zoom.

I carry a second D7000 body with 18-140mm zoom, for wide shots.

I suffer from severe size-envy when I am amongst the pros with their massive lenses, and would love a better body, but I suppose that's just natural when you get to my age! 

I have the Z7 and love it, but you have a much better telephoto lens, and have an excellent track record of great work.  Keep it up.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

There was a point on the first leg in the second race where they both point very high with speed in the low 30's...  NO talked about it during the coverage.  NZ was able to keep close, but lost ground.  Her is a screen shot of that leg:

1348996174_ScreenShot2021-03-11at1_24_58PM.thumb.png.5846828538d678dc72616449e37b12e9.png

I noticed that and wondered would they hang for a bit longer to avoid losing further distance with the tack at a crucial time in the race. Shows how much I know but that's what I was thinking.

4 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

The sparrow that just flew past my house appears to be the main source of wind this morning.

Not good Bill, most weather reports I can see suggest 6 max.

3 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

On that we could race.  I hope it is right (or more wind).

Its from your local weather bureau so it should be better than Windy or any of the other free forecasts that just regurgitate GFS out of the US

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Flags said:

Its from your local weather bureau so it should be better than Windy or any of the other free forecasts that just regurgitate GFS out of the US

You forget Auckland is located on a relatively narrow strip of land with two sizeable harbours one each side and especially on hot still days two competing onshore breezes.

Local weather forecasting is a crapshoot in these conditions it depends a lot on which competing breeze prevails.

Weather forecasting in NZ is where you can be wrong 50% of the time and still have a job.

Have heard 6 kts but if the sea breeze kicks in it could be 10-11?

• Like 2

OK Kiwis important request, should I set my alarm and espresso maker for 0400 or may I sleep peacefully until 0700? Merci!

• Like 2
Just now, Jean-Baptiste said:

OK Kiwis important request, should I set my alarm and espresso maker for 0400 or may I sleep peacefully until 0700? Merci!

Do you want to have a chance of missing one of the most interesting races so far.

Set the alarm!  90% chance there will be one race 70% chance there will be two races (and LR will win both!)

7 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

No one mentioned the episode during the post race press conference, when Jimmy attacked the journalist "people like you?"....... who is the journalist and what did he write to be humiliated like that?

Humiliated..? Talk about an exaggeration..! Journalists are always dishing the shit out I'm sure they can cop some of Jimmy's rhetoric back....

8 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

You forget Auckland is located on a relatively narrow strip of land with two sizeable harbours one each side and especially on hot still days two competing onshore breezes.

Local weather forecasting is a crapshoot in these conditions it depends a lot on which competing breeze prevails.

Weather forecasting in NZ is where you can be wrong 50% of the time and still have a job.

Have heard 6 kts but if the sea breeze kicks in it could be 10-11?

You are kinda confirming what I was referring too, and why an automated weather model derived in the USA is not necessarily relevant to the Auckland region. Hence my comment.

Is the seabreeze direction NE? Are the local weather bureau forecasting NE at 9 - 10 knots at race time? Very similar to your "Have heard 6 kts but if the sea breeze kicks in it could be 10-11?"

Here is a thesis that provides some insight from an NZ university.

Sea Breeze Circulation in the Auckland Region:Observational Data Analysis and Numerical Modelling (2010)

Latest wind predictions from Predictwind as below. Looks right on the limit to get a race off... 

That is the best app I've found for local info and it is officially tied into the America's Cup using all the sensors around the gulf... 

Screenshot_20210312-095927_PredictWind.jpg

Screenshot_20210312-095940_PredictWind.jpg

8 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

and you wont find a single person who made those statements/supported those positions happy to hold their hands up and admit it.

Fuck it, I will. These are the ones I made (or agreed with):

- AM is the most serious candidates to be the Prada Cup winner (after ACWS)

- Ineos is a dog, a terrible boat, poorly designed and sailed (after ACWS)

Dunno why anyone else wouldn't put their hands up to admit their fuck ups. Are they so afraid of a little roasting but a bunch of grumpy old cunts on a forum?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kiwimatt said:

Latest wind predictions from Predictwind as below. Looks right on the limit to get a race off... 

That is the best app I've found for local info and it is officially tied into the America's Cup using all the sensors around the gulf... 

Screenshot_20210312-095927_PredictWind.jpg

Screenshot_20210312-095940_PredictWind.jpg

This is suggesting that Course E might be the better Option.

Anyways it will be light for the next several Days, certainly below 13 Knots which is the Crossover for both Teams.

ETNZ might have shot themselves in the bow by agreeing for a lower Wind Limit 6.5 knots. Clearly, the Italians have designed and built their Boat for lower winds. Their Boat is optimised between 6.5 and 13 Knots.

Burling better pull some rabbits out the next few Days.

13 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Do you want to have a chance of missing one of the most interesting races so far.

Set the alarm!  90% chance there will be one race 70% chance there will be two races (and LR will win both!)

D'accord, I am holding you personally responsible. No racing and you can consider France and NZ at war.

Vive la République, Vive la France!

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

D'accord, I am holding you personally responsible. No racing and you can consider France and NZ at war.

Vive la République, Vive la France!

Hey I've been to more places in France than you have and I live in NZ!

Why is France not in the AC?

There will be at least one race.

• Like 1

Doubtful as I have lived here 70 years.

Good question. Economics I suppose, ocean racing commands all the sponsorship monies here often in conjunction with municipal funds.

Alarm set. Bonne nuit.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WakaNZ said:

Ray Davies at the 7:30 mark. Some comments are a not like what we typically hear from the camp. 

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-demand/week-on-demand/

(Was sent this, No I don't listen to the DH)

Found the correct link mate :P

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/mike-hosking-breakfast/audio/ray-davies-team-new-zealand-coach-previews-day-two-of-the-americas-cup/#ath

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Why is France not in the AC?

I've always assumed its a cultural thing...  the French tend to see sailing as an art and excel in Ocean racing and around the world stuff.   They don't have the love of the AC sprint format.  

As the saying goes, the French don't fuck.  The French make love. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Doubtful as I have lived here 70 years.

Good question. Economics I suppose, ocean racing commands all the sponsorship monies here often in conjunction with municipal funds.

Alarm set. Bonne nuit.

Yeah agreed, ocean racing sponsorship in France is the best in the world, so many national companies that are unknown outside of France sponsor boats. The cup doesn’t seem to hold the same appeal for these sponsors 

my alarm is set too, but I’m an hour earlier than you :)

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Thanks! Tried the other one, figured there had to be a better link :) 

Yeah I was listening to people phoning in about lost luggage, scanning the timeline listening out for Ray Davies talking about racing :lol:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Yeah agreed, ocean racing sponsorship in France is the best in the world, so many national companies that are unknown outside of France sponsor boats. The cup doesn’t seem to hold the same appeal for these sponsors 

my alarm is set too, but I’m an hour earlier than you :)

EU solidarité.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Thanks! Tried the other one, figured there had to be a better link :) 

I would probably take Philippe Presti & Vasco Vascotto over Ray Davies. Davies botched up a lot of tactical Decisions in the later stages of AC34!

37 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Just nuke it like you did with all the other pacific islands, will ya?

2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

How can the CoG be the same, the BS delta 2 and yet the VMG only 0.1 different?

19 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

That’s a good listen, especially for Ray reiterating the point (at least twice) that with these boats, being in more pressure is a massive factor. 

8 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

I have to admit that this one was the most disgusting way to win the cup, not only bribing people from the best team, but stealing members of a community in first place and a country in second place, who culturally lives for sailing....

From there on, any member jumping from one team to an other, was considered to be negligible and mostly ignored.

Money

Couldn’t agree more