AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

13 hours ago, southseasbill said:

Still a long way out but it looks ok for the 6th and 7th. The latest update shows Northerly near the upper wind range for the Saturday and a more moderate Westerly on the Sunday.

Lest we forget

Last time they met. Prada were not slow!

3 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

So many people is talking about TR speed, now breaking the 60 Knots barrier. :blink:

Luna Rossa will never reach those speeds, so if the rumors are true we might face a speed difference between the boats above 3/8 knots, which is going to make this final one of the most boring in AC history.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.” ― Mark Twain

• Like 3
9 hours ago, mauriciogfj said:

Everybody knows Leonardo designed the first foiling monohulls.
Ship's Cannon with Shieldimage.jpeg.e7247d6bfb4821f04e1a8f9bac401706.jpeg

I think that's a cannon on the right model. Definitely a way to win races and improve the TV audience. 

And a great plot for a movie starring Tom Hanks as Francesco Bruni. He can play anything:wub:

11 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

So many people is talking about TR speed, now breaking the 60 Knots barrier. :blink:

Luna Rossa will never reach those speeds, so if the rumors are true we might face a speed difference between the boats above 3/8 knots, which is going to make this final one of the most boring in AC history.

TBH I also heard rumors of LR reaching 72 kts in training. But Sirena denied :D  :D

6 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Burling " A knot, lump, or slub in yarn or cloth" 

So Pietro "Pistola" il Nodo vs Giacomo Sputacollina. 

Sounds ominous and messy

But I would rather stick with the English version for Burling. "Pistola" in Italian (north only?) is also a way to call a dumb person.

17 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Max, I would love that to be true!

Don't worry, rather unlikely unless NZ have already solved the problem of transitioning from a pre-cavitating foil to a super-cavitating foil (and dodging the Rules):

image.png.74af5b8d87ea0e6c8dea9e561a34ade0.png

12 hours ago, mako23 said:

Yeah f-$ken Italians what have they done for the world

Roman Empire

Renaissance 

Banking

modern Medicine 

Printing Press

But can they sail ??

Banking was the Arabs. 

2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Could be, and cashless money transfer was invented by the Arabs. 

And I think they still retain some competence nowadays!

4 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

With all the chase boats and technology, surely "they" know the speeds. Not saying to keep everyone thinking it will be a contest? Will be interesting on day one but I would think lots of people already know the outcome.

21 hours ago, mako23 said:

Yeah f-$ken Italians what have they done for the world

Roman Empire

Renaissance 

Banking

modern Medicine 

Printing Press

But can they sail ??

The printing press?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Xlot said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/25/asia/us-china-covid-swab-tests-intl/index.html

Anal swabs? Hope this doesn’t give ACE funny ideas, should LR prove to be too competitive in the initial races ...

Well that takes brown nosing to another level if the Chinese are finding Covid up their asses. Cultural thing? 

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

The printing press?

Yes your right it was a German, however it would be fair to say that the Italians took to it like a duck to water, as you can see most of the printing houses were in northern in Italy during the sixteenth century 

D72CB1AE-0E33-43CE-B913-A8300E8F25C6.png

While the British were still throwing mud at each other

• Like 1
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

As a compensation may I add the telephone? I hope you know that the inventor was Meucci and not Bell.

Given that we mostly invented sheep bothering, I'll give you a pass.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 7:24 AM, Dolphin65 said:

More than anything else, I pray for a close match.

Nothing gives you high levels of adrenaline than America's Cup duels and/or Moto GP...........

Boy do Larry and Russell have news for you... ;)

• Like 1

Feel free to Google it but here’s my take:

Johannes Gutenberg’s original printing press is still in Mainz, German where I’ve seen it. His choice to first publish the King James Version of the Bible is one of the many profound effects that mass-printing led to.

But to get back to Italy, the first arguably real ‘newspapers’ were chiseled onto marble tablets every morning then hung for display, in Rome. Originally it was for the day’s news about what ships were arriving and departing, with what goods, including route destinations. But those ‘newspapers’ evolved and grew over time to include other subjects too. 

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Feel free to Google it but here’s my take:

Johannes Gutenberg’s original printing press is still in Mainz, German where I’ve seen it. His choice to first publish the King James Version of the Bible is one of the many profound effects that mass-printing led to.

You better check your history,  Stingray. The Gutenberg Bible was the Vulgate (Latin) Bible. The Gutenberg Bible pre-dates the King James Bible by about 150 years.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, accnick said:

You better check your history,  Stingray. The Gutenberg Bible was the Vulgate (Latin) Bible. The Gutenberg Bible pre-dates the King James Bible by about 150 years.

Oh! Thanks, will do some reading, the history of ‘mass communication’ is an interest of mine. Current evolutions too. 

1 hour ago, IPLore said:

This looks remarkably like early stages of the covid outbreak, starting in N Italy....

Full marks in turning a positive post about Italy to a negative one :)

Looks breezy, maybe too much so for Saturday and Sunday.... having said that, it's a week away, forecasts here are ok up to about two days ahead, beyond that ........

2 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Looks breezy, maybe too much so for Saturday and Sunday.... having said that, it's a week away, forecasts here are ok up to about two days ahead, beyond that ........

Maybe the batwing will come out

7 hours ago, accnick said:

Duh!:D

Gutenberg isn't an Italian name? Giovanni Gutenbergini?

Gutenberg is definitely German. But it's true that in north east Italy almost all names are German. If you follow tennis,the young Italian star rising is Jannik Sinner. And he is 100% Italian.

And sad to see that even in Ackl there are quite some impressive idiots. Hold steady, guys. 
From NZHerald: 
It comes after a new Covid-19 case was detected in the community this afternoon. The new case went to the GP in the afternoon yesterday for a Covid test - they went to the gym after that.

27 minutes ago, JJD said:

Sorry to say Auckland is going back into Level 3 lockdown for 7 days from midnight tonight. 

What’s the issue? Close the village, race with no one watching on the water and get on with it? 
That was the MO last time wasn’t it?maybe we get to see who actually wants to race this time.

After All the bluster last time that  protocols existed to race under level two and three so what is the drama? LR must be keen as to get out there.. 

2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

What’s the issue? Close the village, race with no one watching on the water and get on with it? 
That was the MO last time wasn’t it?maybe we get to see who actually wants to race this time.

I don't get your allusion. Go and follow the rules and the government decision. No problem at all. But first of all I hope the situation doesn't get worse and remains under control.

9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

After All the bluster last time that  protocols existed to race under level two and three so what is the drama? LR must be keen as to get out there.. 

Due to the number of people who would go out for the racing the Government may decide no racing in level 3 or 2. The ultimate decision rests with the government. If we move down to level 2 I’d imagine no racing at all. LR can complain all they want, but there is nothing they can do. We are all hostage to this virus 

The decision to race will be based on wind levels

High winds are safe because the virus is spread far and wide

Low winds are dangerous and could kill everyone on planet earth

Safety must take precedence LOL :)

at the risk of disagreeing with you I would say the situation is exactly the same as it was previously. certainly in the eyes of Luna Rossa who were incredibly insistent the racing take place immediately and that there was no delay to the Prada cup final so it would be incredibly surprising to see them willing to stand down or concede this point. 

Unless it’s all about not sailing in stronger wind and trying to remove any perceived advantage that NZ might have higher up range..  that would be a shocker... 

15 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

The course management, etc, relies on a great number of volunteers. I can't see racing going ahead at Level 3 (i.e. not between now and next Sunday at the earliest). 

Level 2 hinders the spectator aspect. 

• Like 1
Just now, JALhazmat said:

at the risk of disagreeing with you I would say the situation is exactly the same as it was previously. certainly in the eyes of Luna Rossa who were incredibly insistent the racing take place immediately and that there was no delay to the Prada cup final so it would be incredibly surprising to see them willing to stand down or concede this point. 

Unless it’s all about not sailing in stronger wind and trying to remove any perceived advantage that NZ might have higher up range..  that would be a shocker... 

CoR have no power over the Match.

10 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I don't get your allusion. Go and follow the rules and the government decision. No problem at all. But first of all I hope the situation doesn't get worse and remains under control.

The rules stated racing should continue under level two and three with a closed village and no audience that is what Prada pushed for for the Prada final and therefore they should push for exactly the same this time unless of course they don’t want to race in strong wind or now decide that the NZ government IS worth listening to

1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

Jal,  agree 100%, not a problem at all to race if it is possible and approved

Has anyone’s phones started screaming at them ?

My mrs phone started screeching as if thermonuclear war was about to break out

All that screeching and it said don’t go to work 

• Like 1
Just now, Forourselves said:

CoR have no power over the Match.

None? So they had no say in the rules agreed for it? That seems a bit of a stretch. Especially with the wind limit reduction agreed for the match 

NZ could decide what they wanted for match conditions and Prada would have to take it?  Hmm 

The rules stated racing should continue under level two and three with a closed village and no audience that is what Prada pushed for for the Prada final and therefore they should push for exactly the same this time unless of course they don’t want to race in strong wind or now decide that the NZ government IS worth listening to

Link to those rules please. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Jal,  agree 100%, not a problem at all to race if it is possible and approved

Defender is responsible for organising the match. They do what they're told.

Yeah, let's go. Stop it

46 minutes ago, JJD said:

Sorry to say Auckland is going back into Level 3 lockdown for 7 days from midnight tonight. 

That's going to be a difficult one for Tina!

Most likely if the RoW is anything to go by that Auckland could be on Level 3 for the foreseeable future,  certainly well past the last projected days for the Match.

How will she play it? 

Just now, Forourselves said:

Of course, I was answering to your friend allusion.

None? So they had no say in the rules agreed for it? That seems a bit of a stretch. Especially with the wind limit reduction agreed for the match 

NZ could decide what they wanted for match conditions and Prada would have to take it?  Hmm 

Just as CoR got their way in regards to continuing the Prada Cup at the behest of ACE, the Defender, as stated in the Protocol is responsible for organising the Cup match.The protocol takes precedence.

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Yeah, let's go. Stop it

The rules are whatever the Government says they are....this government gave themselves unbridled power during Covid...if you complain you might end up dea

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

So the defender could mandate a five minute Head-start and The challenger/Prada/ COR  would have to take it . I think not

So the defender could mandate a five minute Head-start and The challenger/Prada/ COR  would have to take it . I think not

Racing rules of sailing dictate the racing rules, hence the penalty issues recently.

The protocol dictates organisation.

From the Americas Cup Facebook Page:

"Due to the latest COVID 19 level 3 lockdown announced this evening by the Government, America’s Cup Event Ltd is reviewing the situation and will be working with the Authorities and relevant agencies over the next few days to work through the implications. Further updates to come"

10 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

at the risk of disagreeing with you I would say the situation is exactly the same as it was previously. 

Big difference now is, the match hasn't started yet.

It's one thing delaying a match before the kick-off, compared to extending half-time

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

That's going to be a difficult one for Tina!

Most likely if the RoW is anything to go by that Auckland could be on Level 3 for the foreseeable future,  certainly well past the last projected days for the Match.

How will she play it? 

The ACE/GD line is no racing under Level 3. 

The LR line is that IM has an agreed Level 1, 2 and 3 protocol for racing. 

Somehow I think Tina will be changing her tune.

Though of course if the strong forecast winds continue LR might also support ni racing.

13 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Not exactly the same. That regatta had already started with points on the board and a beneficial forecast of light winds. 
The match hasn’t started so a delayed start hasn’t as much if any impact. 

I don’t believe the government will sanction racing under level 3 at all. 

1 minute ago, winchfodder said:

The ACE/GD line is no racing under Level 3. 

The LR line is that IM has an agreed Level 1, 2 and 3 protocol for racing. 

Somehow I think Tina will be changing her tune.

Though of course if the strong forecast winds continue LR might also support ni racing.

Their will be no racing during level 3