Jump to content

AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Here’s another one:

- Not every word ending with an ‘s’ gets an apostrophe. 

I'm an Engineer - English is a foreign fucking language.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I don't think Salty is actually homophobic....he's just jealous because his wife won't lick his date.......

Why would she it’s very salty

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Secret Experiment said:

Yeah, I know but it just isn't funny, never was.

I've got a couple of mates like him....lovely people who like to be inappropriate for a laugh but have no malicious bone in their body...and certainly know that what they are saying is definitely wrong.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mako23 said:

Why would she it’s very salty

And smells worse than an anchovies's cunt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

wonder what tomorrow will bring. Who knows ???? Certainly the weather forecasters don’t...they were predicting 2 knots .?

My general rule of thumb has been "if the forecast looks too low, there'll be enough of a breeze for a race by the time it matters."

Also

"If it's high in the range, then there is a greater risk of a no-start that if its too low"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Piet56 said:

I still carry the scar's of being an Alpha owner - I'm still in therapy!!!!!

Me too .

It was an incredible love / hate affair that I still can't get out of my mind 25 years later .

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

My general rule of thumb has been "if the forecast looks too low, there'll be enough of a breeze for a race by the time it matters."

Also

"If it's high in the range, then there is a greater risk of a no-start that if its too low"

It’s freakin March I was expecting more wind ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

I'm an Engineer - English is a foreign fucking language.....

I work with engineers. English is their first language, but equally foreign. 
 

Apologies, I shouldn’t assume it’s everyone’s first language. In my defence it’s been a very stressful afternoon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rh3000 said:

My general rule of thumb has been "if the forecast looks too low, there'll be enough of a breeze for a race by the time it matters."

Also

"If it's high in the range, then there is a greater risk of a no-start that if its too low"

Both Saturday and Sunday will be ok to race I reckon. I spent a fair bit of time looking at weather and tides before today's racing. They need to ditch course E as there's no current to play with. 

And, it's a fucking long way back to Westhaven at 5 knots from course E. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After 4 races...no one knows who's going to win....In fact there has been some wild flip flopping from Anarchy supporters.   Got the makings of the best cup ever,  even if the intensity is in the first 3mins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chocoa said:

 

You can throw up on salty seacock he is waiting for it.

And yet I wouldn’t notice. He’s been on the ‘Ignore’ list for a long time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ex-yachtie said:

I work with engineers. English is their first language, but equally foreign. 
 

Apologies, I shouldn’t assume it’s everyone’s first language. In my defence it’s been a very stressful afternoon. 

Your all good mate - I forgot to add I am a O&G engineer - I suck at English in my own language, left school at 15...... didi my degree at 38 yrs old & only just got a pass in English

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Piet56 said:

Your all good mate - I forgot to add I am a O&G engineer - I suck at English in my own language, left school at 15...... didi my degree at 38 yrs old & only just got a pass in English

^You’re

;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So LR isn't the light air dominant machine she was built up to be. Te Rehutai isn't the moderate breeze machine she was made out to be (well, perhaps, she had a pretty emphatic first win, and a small loss)

The first race was a bit of an eye opener for the Kiwi's. I'm betting no one thought that would happen, but the response was pretty damn emphatic.

The Race hardened aspect is what, I believe, has been the real key to Luna Rossa till now, Jimmy is an experienced, boat on boat, dogfight, match racer where Pete is a more seat of the pants, go with your gut, instinctive sailor. He either gets it very right, or very wrong.

I think overall, Te Rehutai is still the faster package - it was funny how the commentary during the first race differed vastly to the second, in the first, LR was the faster boat, and in the second, Kenny and Shirley were dumbfounded.

I think what we'll see from now on, is an extension by Team NZ. Light air is no longer the domain of Luna Rossa, yet, we still haven't seen the potential of Te Rehutai in moderate to heavy breeze either.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Listen up fuck-knuckle. You're a failire of a man. You're not welcome here yet. I've done the hard yards and earned the abuse of far superior meat-sacks than you. 

Have you even posted a picture of your wife's tits yet?

:lol::lol: Failire???  I'm a "failire"!!

And, unlike most here, I have posted a picture of my wife, go find 'em boy.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I think overall, Te Rehutai is still the faster package

She isn't faster through the tack. Both boats can extend when in front, so there's not a lot in it. This event could go either way. Starting in front is critical, and so far it's even spoils.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Secret Experiment said:

What is it that gets into some people when presented with a keyboard and internet subscription???

Really humans should have to apply for a licence to breed, would solve a LOT of problems :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The win the start win the race theme continues.! Based on that you'd hate to be Jimmy or Pete. That's a fuck lot of pressure for the helmsman. I just can't see it changing even if we see different courses and wind shifts because the leading boat usually covers. Makes for boring racing in one way. You may as well watch the start and then come back later for the 2nd race and do it again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

She isn't faster through the tack. Both boats can extend when in front, so there's not a lot in it. This event could go either way. Starting in front is critical, and so far it's even spoils.

I do believe you have the right of it here, on another front even though I have never been worth a fiddly fuck at tennis I do rather like the "breaking serve" analogy, would have to think both teams are burning some processer cycles in sims trying to crack that nut!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

She isn't faster through the tack. Both boats can extend when in front, so there's not a lot in it. This event could go either way. Starting in front is critical, and so far it's even spoils.

If you're faster in a straight line, and can minimise the maneuvers, as is the style of Pete and Blair, its a net gain. But you're right, if you can't, and you end up in a tack for tack dual, if you're slower through the tacks, its going to be a very long race.

The first race showed LR superior through tacks, but the second looked even, if not the complete opposite. I think the one thing that has been absolutely critical in every race, is sail selection. It looks like TR's sails are very much optimised for a certain condition, but if they get caught out, and the sail is no longer optimal, it becomes an uphill job for the Kiwi's. LR looks to have sail packages, that cover a very broad range of conditions, so more forgiving.

A risky game for Team NZ, but then again, their entire package is a very extreme concept, from the hull shape, to the foils, to the sail plan, to the way she is sailed. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

If you're faster in a straight line, and can minimise the maneuvers, as is the style of Pete and Blair, its a net gain. But you're right, if you can't, and you end up in a tack for tack dual, if you're slower through the tacks, its going to be a very long race.

The first race showed LR superior through tacks, but the second looked even, if not the complete opposite. I think the one thing that has been absolutely critical in every race, is sail selection. It looks like TR's sails are very much optimised for a certain condition, but if they get caught out, and the sail is no longer optimal, it becomes an uphill job for the Kiwi's. LR looks to have sail packages, that cover a very broad range of conditions, so more forgiving.

A risky game for Team NZ, but then again, their entire package is a very extreme concept, from the hull shape, to the foils, to the sail plan, to the way she is sailed. 

 

TR found something in their tacking in the second race, maybe the bigger jib??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flags said:

 

TR found something in their tacking in the second race, maybe the bigger jib??

Coming out of the tack with more elevation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Flags said:

Really humans should have to apply for a licence to breed, would solve a LOT of problems :)

That's fine by me as long as it doesn't affect me being able to PRACTICE breeding.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

Your all good mate - I forgot to add I am a O&G engineer - I suck at English in my own language, left school at 15...... didi my degree at 38 yrs old & only just got a pass in English

O & G =Orgasms & G Spots?

I am a recovering Engineer myself, now working in IT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mako23 said:

As a kiwi I’ll say I’m happy to split the results with one win each. I expected Prada to be significantly faster in light winds.

wonder what tomorrow will bring. Who knows ???? Certainly the weather forecasters don’t...they were predicting 2 knots .?

Sea breeze came in. 26 degrees in Auckland today, setting up the thermal. Cooler air off the sea fills the vacuum. Let's hope we have another thermal tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sailbydate said:

Sea breeze came in. 26 degrees in Auckland today, setting up the thermal. Cooler air off the sea fills the vacuum. Let's hope we have another thermal tomorrow.

How amazing ... the NZ Met service were correct in their forecast ^_^ 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The commentary struck me as being a little favoured toward the Challenger in the first race. Not taking anything away from Kenny, Shirley or Nathan, but they seemed to have resigned themselves to the fact that it was going to be a very long series for Te Rehutai and NZ, that Team NZ now had to find answers for the fact that they were racing what was clearly a faster boat. It reminded me of the dumbass moment in AC2003 race 2 on the first downwind when Team NZ reeled in Alinghi and passed them and Pete Lester brazenly said "Glen, Team NZ is an absolute rocket ship downwind. I think its a function of the Hula, and a function, maybe, of that long skinny bulb, and its a function of, a little bit more sail area" - and then they got hauled in again and passed just before the finish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Here’s another one:

- Not every word ending with an ‘s’ gets an apostrophe. 

Correct! The apostrophe is reserved for words like Christma's and pa'ss.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The win the start win the race theme continues.! Based on that you'd hate to be Jimmy or Pete. That's a fuck lot of pressure for the helmsman. I just can't see it changing even if we see different courses and wind shifts because the leading boat usually covers. Makes for boring racing in one way. You may as well watch the start and then come back later for the 2nd race and do it again. 

I said the exact same thing after the first two .

Tune in 3 min before the start, watch two min after then go grab a bite to eat, come back in 45 min and repeat . 

There is more passing in F1 LOL 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Races with zero passes ?? 

I just might go on strike  . . . 

Course C can hopefully provide the passing lanes. Hang in there. ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to start my viewing rather late, just caught up to the thread.

 

My take:

With LR only able to hold a 35s lead while sitting on TNZ gas & making them sail an extra 1500m vs TNZ sailing away when in the lead, its not TNZ having the sleepless night tonight.

 

TR is clearly the faster boat & they got relatively faster when they were able to pick their tacks & sail in clear air even though race 4 was lighter.

 

LR got some really slow tacks near the top mark in race 4, whole bunch down about or below 20kt with TNZ several times bottoming out at higher speeds than LR had got back to after a decent build.

 

If LR win it will be through superior match racing (winning starts & keeping a solid cover) vs a faster boat and thoroughly deserved.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Correct! The apostrophe is reserved for words like Christma's and pa'ss.

That would be pas's, no?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not big on omens & such (a lie actually, why do think I keep buying that pilsner from the local pizza joint), but I have BATTLEBOTS on the tube at the moment & ENDGAME just knocked out TANTRUM, they are a Kiwi team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

I'm not big on omens & such (a lie actually why do think I keep buying that pilsner from the local pizza joint), but I have BATTLEBOTS on the tube at the moment & ENDGAME just knocked out TANTRUM, they are a Kiwi team.

WHO ARE? ENDGAME OR TANTRUM??!?!
I MUST KNOW!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hoom said:

 If LR win it will be through superior match racing (winning starts & keeping a solid cover) vs a faster boat and thoroughly deserved.

As I’ve said before: the fastest boat always wins... until it doesn’t. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

LR looks to have sail packages, that cover a very broad range of conditions, so more forgiving.

I think it's in the foils. Upwind VMG is similar, LR are doing it with height, whereas TR is doing it through speed. Height is usually what you want though. Was a pretty big deal for TR to get a win in light winds. You could argue LR need to get out to a race win lead in these conditions, as TR's speed will become more compelling if the breeze gets up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Team NZ sort out the optimum angles, tacking angles, jibing angles, through racing, something that can, and will be improved through analysis and debrief, it will be game over. LR, through race practice, know their optimum tacking, and jibing angles, but its something Team NZ are still learning (obviously) relative speeds are very even now, but race toughness has been LR's advantage. Now that Team NZ have been in the heat of battle, they'll debrief and keep making incremental race gains. The speed is clearly there, the race toughness is what is lacking. Is the speed there for LR? The race toughness clearly is, but there will come a point when the faster boat will become evident.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing is for certain... as goofy as Steven is, he's a lot better than Bruno.

Bruno sounds like an old man thats had one too many red wines.

They should keep Stephen McIvor as the press conference host.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

it will be game over.

I hope you're right Four....but with light conditions forecast for the next few days, I think LR are well in this......

Link to post
Share on other sites

So tomorrow maybe too soft, Sunday and Monday looking a little stiffer.  Seems ETNZ has more speed advantage in higher breeze, but a maneuvering disadvantage upwind all the time.

image.thumb.png.4d7eefa5a25e93795c0010470038687f.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

I hope you're right Four....but with light conditions forecast for the next few days, I think LR are well in this......

Hmmm. ETNZ is no slug in the light either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Horn Rock said:

I hope you're right Four....but with light conditions forecast for the next few days, I think LR are well in this......

Oh no doubt. Its not gonna be horizon jobs in this series (although todays second race could've been classed as one), but then again, in reality, in Bermuda they weren't really horizon jobs. Its just part and parcel of the class. IMO any loss larger than 30 seconds is a bit of a thrashing in these boats (and yes, ETNZ took one) but 1 minute plus could possibly be classed as a horizon job.

Both boats are still in it. But the longer this series goes on, I believe the more the faster boat will come to the fore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So confirmed by Pete in the Press Conference, no sail change between races 3 and 4

Gee that is even more confusing, how can a boat look inferior in race 3 and then look dominant in race 4 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For Italians I fear that ETNZ are learning about tacking the boat and making improvements, a bit like Oracle did in the AC34. So if ETNZ continue to improve the Italians will hope they can do the same. It just seems ETNZ have more room to improve? Thoughts..?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, maxmini said:

I said the exact same thing after the first two .

Tune in 3 min before the start, watch two min after then go grab a bite to eat, come back in 45 min and repeat . 

There is more passing in F1 LOL 

That is probably what happened in 1851.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

For Italians I fear that ETNZ are learning about tacking the boat and making improvements, a bit like Oracle did in the AC34. So if ETNZ continue to improve the Italians will hope they can do the same. It just seems ETNZ have more room to improve? Thoughts..?


Looked to me like there was something wrong with ENTZ systems in race 1.  Of course they would not admit it.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

For Italians I fear that ETNZ are learning about tacking the boat and making improvements, a bit like Oracle did in the AC34. So if ETNZ continue to improve the Italians will hope they can do the same. It just seems ETNZ have more room to improve? Thoughts..?

I hope it’s true, but such a one eyed kiwi I’m concerned that I’m trying to find reason to believe their faster when they don’t exist.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rantro said:

That is probably what happened in 1851.

At least we don't have to rely on Morse Code, to find out what's happening in the bits in the middle, eh? So some actual progress. ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO TNZ looked inferior in race 1 because they were sailing in disturbed air (a bigger factor than I realised) and were forced to sail 10% further?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mako23 said:


I suspect your correct. The wind shadow these boats generate is enormous. 

Look at the stats from both days.    Very telling.   You win the start you have a clean runway if you don’t you sit in shit.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

They even addressed a few posters in here at the Press conference! The question was asked about "Keyboard warriors" complaining about the racing being boring because the race is over at the start" hey @maxmini they gave you a shout out! ya big Keyboard warrior you lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zeusproject said:

Version 2 of this boat would be just fine 

I'm lovin Mk 1, just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far my take on the first 2 days of racing.

- ETNZ have a faster straight line speed.

- LRPP have an upwind advantage in light-to-medium wind range, pointing higher, better speeds out of the turns and great VMG.

- ETNZ are faster downwind and lower.

- ETNZ handles the extra light wind conditions with ease.

Summary: LRPP are very strong in light-medium wind range, maneuvers really well, therefore have an edge in the starting and tacking duel.

ETNZ should stay away from close battle, needs to start well, maximize its straight line speed advantage, actually pretty comfortable in extra light wind conditions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't have any idea of what is going to happen next. Thank God there is Silvia in the other thread dispensing predictions :D how lucky we are in SAAC :D  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes a pleasant, if not somewhat nerve-wracking, change from 4 : zip at this stage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

We don't have any idea of what is going to happen next.

Indeed. It's a proper contest at this stage, Strider.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

They even addressed a few posters in here at the Press conference! The question was asked about "Keyboard warriors" complaining about the racing being boring because the race is over at the start" hey @maxmini they gave you a shout out! ya big Keyboard warrior you lol

Its nice to be recognized :)   They must have got the word from others than just me , you know they didn't have time to read this drivel tonight .  In other news . SailGP, you know the series that you guaranteed would never see the lite of day is starting its SECOND season . Go figure :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites