AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

In a PM conversation overnight, someone asked me what it was like to experience these boats up close on the race course, and he asked me to post my description on here.

I guess I am extremely lucky to have been as close as I have, so here is my attempt to describe them, as difficult as it is to find the words.

The TV Cat sits quite close as the boats round the top mark and bear away; we were maybe 20m away each time they went around? 

You can feel the power as they accelerate out of the turn towards you, then lift up as they turn further, until they are broadside on and flying away. You can hear whistling and creaking and straining and the hiss of the spray off the foil and rudder in the water.

It's an impression of incredible tension and power.

They are just so impressive to see in the flesh, and up close, pretty awe-inspiring.

DSC_6559.JPG

DSC_6719.JPG

• Like 18
5 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

In addition:

3. ETNZ are learning fast and improving through racing.

4. Once clear, they stretched comfortably.

5. Falling off the foils in the start box proved no problem i.e. they got back foiling fast.

6. The start is a lottery and to date, determining the outcome which is not good racing.

7. Mozzy is right, starboard entry needs to try something different.

8. Smaller foils on ETNZ performed better than I thought in the light air.

Mozzy's starboard theory is quite high risk given a decent dial down might make you miss the start line but I guess if you think you will lose the start anyway, you might as well throw the die.

I do agree that ETNZ seem to be improving.

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

In a PM conversation overnight, someone asked me what it was like to experience these boats up close on the race course, and he asked me to post my description on here.

I guess I am extremely lucky to have been as close as I have, so here is my attempt to describe them, as difficult as it is to find the words.

The TV Cat sits quite close as the boats round the top mark and bear away; we were maybe 20m away each time they went around? 

You can feel the power as they accelerate out of the turn towards you, then lift up as they turn further, until they are broadside on and flying away. You can hear whistling and creaking and straining and the hiss of the spray off the foil and rudder in the water.

They are just so impressive to see in the flesh, and up close, pretty awe-inspiring.

DSC_6559.JPG

DSC_6719.JPG

I'm going green again...:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, weta27 said:

In a PM conversation overnight, someone asked me what it was like to experience these boats up close on the race course, and the asked me to post my description on here.

DSC_6559.JPG

DSC_6719.JPG

Thanks Weta, you have described it wonderfully. I never tire of looking at them and though we can see and sense the power, it must be incredible to see them up close. How did you manage to take such smashing photos? Again, a million thanks for your generosity of spirit, enthusiasm and for sharing with us.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Mozzy's starboard theory is quite high risk given a decent dial down might make you miss the start line but I guess if you think you will lose the start anyway, you might as well throw the die.

The same old shite simply won't cut it given what we've seen so far. 

3 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I'm going green again...:rolleyes:

Well Max, you deserve a spin on one of these boats for sure. You and erdb can design one and Mozzy can be the tactician. I'll drive the crane and the chase boat :lol:

1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

Well Max, you deserve a spin on one of these boats for sure. You and erdb can design one and Mozzy can be the tactician. I'll drive the crane and the chase boat :lol:

We're considering the SAAC AC37 Challenge. :D  Need a sh*t hot CFD guy/gal as well though.

15 minutes ago, barfy said:

No..I'll go down for some shore side when they move back inshore. 

On the TV, the spectator fleet seems quite far away. But then one of our Italian friends posted a drone video set to music of one of the races from inside the spectator boats and the perspective was amazing. That's when I told myself that if I was there I would like to go out on the water. How did you find it apart from the traffic jam? It's impressive seeing the flotilla on the TV.

7 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

On the TV, the spectator fleet seems quite far away. But then one of our Italian friends posted a drone video set to music of one of the races from inside the spectator boats and the perspective was amazing. That's when I told myself that if I was there I would like to go out on the water. How did you find it apart from the traffic jam? It's impressive seeing the flotilla on the TV.

I’m heading out with some friends to to Course A today. Will be the first time seeing them live other than towing out. Luckily we are coming from the north so no 5 knot speed limit on the way home :D 

can’t wait. Good luck today to both team. TNZ go 4-2 up. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, jaysper said:

The way these rules are interpreted a dial down is a penalty on the vessel that dials down!!!  There is no risk

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JJD said:

I’m heading out with some friends to to Course A today. Will be the first time seeing them live other than towing out. Luckily we are coming from the north so no 5 knot speed limit on the way home :D 

can’t wait. Good luck today to both team. TNZ go 4-2 up. 

Good for you, enjoy.

25 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

The way these rules are interpreted a dial down is a penalty on the vessel that dials down!!!  There is no risk

Not convinced that is true.

The give way boat still needs to be seen getting out of the way.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I went out on Wednesday. Although we were a long way away it was quite a scene, boats anchoring on top of one another and anchors dragging. Looking around it was like a big arena. Just 2 of us we had quite the party going on with the music going and a smoke or 2. On the way home at 5 knts, both race boats came roaring past on foils at 30knts or so with all the chase boats in attendence. The day was well worth it though. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

If one team wins both races today to go up 4-2, there’s going to be even more tension! 

I hope they split again but it could very easily happen. 

The 2nd race today is going to be incredibly tense.  The interview with Burling between the races yesterday was tough watching with all the nerves on display

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Hey Weta, thanks for all the great pics. Enjoy the view! 

If you ride together with Shirley or Nathan, ask them to look into this calibration issue with TR's instruments, which turns their TWA against them all the time shifting the advantage line as if they tacked on a header every time. When they talk about ETNZ losing more in the tacks, it could be just the wind instruments giving misleading info.

• Like 2

From Stuff. Nice to fuck up a promising start.

"The harbourmaster told Murray as the boats were in the pre-start sequence that racing could not proceed because spectator boats were on the course.

Murray said it turned out the spectator boats were not on the course itself, and Race One could have proceeded."

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kdock44 said:

The 2nd race today is going to be incredibly tense.  The interview with Burling between the races yesterday was tough watching with all the nerves on display

Yes, a lot of pressure and the tension is rising.

4 minutes ago, barfy said:

"The harbourmaster told Murray as the boats were in the pre-start sequence that racing could not proceed because spectator boats were on the course.

Murray said it turned out the spectator boats were not on the course itself, and Race One could have proceeded."

That was very helpful.

11 minutes ago, Geppeto2 said:

I went out on Wednesday. Although we were a long way away it was quite a scene, boats anchoring on top of one another and anchors dragging. Looking around it was like a big arena. Just 2 of us we had quite the party going on with the music going and a smoke or 2. On the way home at 5 knts, both race boats came roaring past on foils at 30knts or so with all the chase boats in attendence. The day was well worth it though. 

Thanks Geppeto2, we can only watch with envy. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, barfy said:

Yes, Etnz were in a good position up until then.

5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yes, Etnz were in a good position up until then.

Let's be honest, it took a lot of courage to front up and win race 2 yesterday. All the pressure is on ETNZ and LRPP are performing out of their skin, beyond expectations and with increased belief. And good on them. They are a most worthy challenger.

2 hours ago, sfigone said:

My Observation of the first two Race Days of the Match:

ETNZ basically had to sail two perfect Races to get two Points.

LR made two mistakes: In the 1st Race on Wednesday they messed up the Start giving NZ an advantage right of the Starting Line per Virtual Eye and in the 2nd Race yesterday they tacked away too late, allowing Burling to leebow them as they came out of that right-handed boundary.

I expect LRPP to go up 4 - 2 today winning both Races.

Is there an echo in this chamber? ;-)

I've always liked the old BBC F1 intros set to Fleetwood Mac, so I decided to create an America's Cup version. Took a bunch more time than I anticipated, but I think it turned out alright. Let me know what you think.

• Like 12

Question:

Any of you Kiwis have a LIVE PredictWind Map and can post some Screen Shots what the Wind is doing! What is the Wind doing right now anyways?

2 minutes ago, crashtack said:

I've always liked the old BBC F1 intros set to Fleetwood Mac, so I decided to create an America's Cup version. Took a bunch more time than I anticipated, but I think it turned out alright. Let me know what you think.

Love it! 

Looking at dorox's data from race 4. TR was faster across the board - including in tacks and gybes - seems the Kiwis are learning quickly. Much higher bottom speed through each tack.

4 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Well done you, great job! 

2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Looking at dorox's data from race 4. TR was faster across the board - including in tacks and gybes - seems the Kiwis are learning quickly. Much higher bottom speed through each tack.

Yes, it seemed almost visible....Ken Read mentioned it.

16 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Here’s a much dumber one, specifically about DZ’s moooove from Anacortes to San Diego. Stingette did it for me, she chose the music and put a touch of effort into timing the slide changes with the tune rhythm :) 

• Like 1

For those understanding french, excellent video from Marc Bouët explaining why the left entry boat wins if he doesn't make a mistake. Quality of vid itself is far from perfect but the explanations are limpid.

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/coupe-de-l-america/video-america-s-cup-marc-bouet-disseque-les-duels-3-et-4-et-il-a-remarque-une-constante-e48e192a-832e-11eb-98b8-858ca36be788

12 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Nice editing. Good effort. Royalties?

nice initiative/product crashtack. 

I've always found the combination of sailing videos and music excruciating.  That fleetwood song sounds as if they were listening to the Clash.

What is the benefit of entering the start box on time (2.10 or 2.00)?  Can one of them just stay OCS until 10 secs to go and then cross the box? That would prevent any pre-start shenanigans.

1 minute ago, sosoomii said:

What is the benefit of entering the start box on time (2.10 or 2.00)?  Can one of them just stay OCS until 10 secs to go and then cross the box? That would prevent any pre-start shenanigans.

is there not a penalty for late entry ?

Have to disappoint all Kiwis who want to see these majestic boats from ashore. Looking at the Wind patterns it could be that Course C won't be used for the entirety of the Match unless we get into next Wednesday provided Tuesday is a Lay Day.

18 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Luna rossa peaking/peaked----------------ETNZ cresting.  similar to Oracle 2013.

The RNZAF will fly over the team bases in about 40mins:

✈️ Six-ship T-6C Texan II formation
✈️ Formation of the Boeing 757-2K2 and P-3K2 Orion.
⏰ The flypast is scheduled to start between 1.53PM and 2.23PM.

That'll liven things up a bit.

Looks like your whole Air Force will be assembled.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pluscount said:

yup all the cessnas we own  followed by the mighty................piper cub, our lancaster is still parked up at western springs and some fool built houses in the way of where it could have once got up and away, oh and we also have a hurricane perched on top of a pole

I really believe today will tell a definitive story as to which boat looks likely to win the Americas Cup. I mentioned earlier that I think ETNZ are improving through a number of ways. Light air was not the issue everyone perceived and it may become clearer today they will have a speed edge. If this is true it will end up 4-2 by days end. And will we see Jimmy win the start but lose the race? Or will it continue with the win the start win the race trend?

Today's a big day in so many ways. Shame there isn't more wind though. :(

11 minutes ago, pluscount said:

You must be happy about all the cash that's gone into the F35 program........I know in OZ they're just ecstatic......Almost as much fun as building submarines......

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Even the Hurricane is a fibreglass replica!

This one at Thames airfield?

20201011_085432.jpg

41 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Question:

Any of you Kiwis have a LIVE PredictWind Map and can post some Screen Shots what the Wind is doing! What is the Wind doing right now anyways?

11 from N at Rangi lighthouse right now. Sea breeze has been filling in over the last 20-30 mins. Looking like it could be similar wind range to R1&2.

19 minutes ago, pluscount said:

You may think that is a good joke - but actually it is true!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Barnyb said:

Thames airfield?

International or domestic?

International - flights to Gt Barrier :D

4 minutes ago, w3r said:

11 from N at Rangi lighthouse right now. Sea breeze has been filling in over the last 20-30 mins. Looking like it could be similar wind range to R1&2.

What range would you suggest we’ll see for both races?

41 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Warner Bros. claimed the video, so I assume everything goes to them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for that CT. Hope someone picks up and airs it for you.

13 minutes ago, mrdobalina said:

What range would you suggest we’ll see for both races?

My guess would be 10-14. It’s pretty warm today so another couple of hours baking the land could shake out a little more pressure.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, w3r said:

My guess would be 10-14. It’s pretty warm today so another couple of hours baking the land could shake out a little more pressure.

That could be LR’s sweet spot - they’ll be pleased. 

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

They say the formation has ready begun to form:

image.png.ccca5324501ecc121ac9adb9c412a503.png

:)

On the commentary PJ Monty is great he gets random people in on his speed dial like Murray Jones, BB and many other AC winners. 

11 minutes ago, mrdobalina said:

That could be LR’s sweet spot - they’ll be pleased. 

That's what they said about yesterday's 7-9knt range :lol:

1 minute ago, NZL4EVER said:

On the commentary PJ Monty is great he gets random people in on his speed dial like Murray Jones, BB and many other AC winners. 

...who conincidentally are his old mates from the Alinghi Five with whom he was very friendly and which ultimately led to his cold treatment from ETNZ.

13 minutes ago, Indio said:

That's what they said about yesterday's 7-9knt range :lol:

What do you think of the rumour that Pete dropped off the foils intentionally in the start box R4? 

3 minutes ago, mrdobalina said:

What do you think of the rumour that Pete dropped off the foils intentionally in the start box R4? 

Hahaha, it sure looked a little suspect at the time - especially as he got on the foils pretty promptly when LR was bearing down on them.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

Morning All..... any weather updates out?

This from someone in another forum: 

“10 knots from N right now at Rangitoto lighthouse which is next to Course A. It’s hot today and looks like the sea breeze could be strong. I’m picking a steady 12-15 knots NNE by race time.”

they also said:

”I doubt it’ll be super shifty as there’s no land mass to the north to disturb the air. But perhaps a little patchy. I expect it to be similar to what we’ve seen on E. The lead boat will be able to choose where to go and the following boat will pick up the scraps.
The big change today will be the tidal flow. We’re just past low tide now. I think this will help ETNZ as there will be more flow over the foils upwind for a given SOG. You’d have to expect that to favour the boat with less foil area.”

• Like 1

Awesome shot Barnyb - cheers for that.... So course A as well ? Good Shit - this is going to be interesting!

Thanks ONTOIT - appreciate it mate

• Like 2