Jump to content

AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Doesn't matter who's fault it is, the fact remains they have the faster boat.

That’s going to be cold comfort should they keep losing  because they are undercooked, lovely excuse by the way ;-) 

Especially when they could have done something about it, like arranging more racing or being part of the RR or actually using the first boat to race against or even the small boat, but no all perfectly within their control to do but chose not to. IF they lose that is SOMEONES FAULT.  That missing 3mil that no one cares about? Probably covers the cost of running the baby boat for a few weeks of match practice.  

Or Was it a case of we are so fast we don’t need practice? Or the AI is so good etc  stay humble bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

That’s going to be cold comfort should they keep losing  because they are undercooked, lovely excuse by the way ;-) 

Especially when they could have done something about it, like arranging more racing or being part of the RR or actually using the first boat to race against or even the small boat, but no all perfectly within their control to do but chose not to. IF they lose that is SOMEONES FAULT.  That missing 3mil that no one cares about? Probably covers the cost of running the baby boat for a few weeks of match practice.  

Or Was it a case of we are so fast we don’t need practice? Or the AI is so good etc  stay humble bro.

Thats a big "If"

Pft, you bastards would've been all over them if they had gotten involved in the RR's, there was already posters on here who said it was unfair of them to be in the ACWS because it gave them an unfair advantage! so don't act like now it would've been okay for them to have done it. Besides, they said they weren't, and they didn't. WHy didn't they race B1? Probably because they couldn't afford it, or it wasn't worth diverting valuable resource to a boat that was never going to race in the match, so they focused 100% on the match boat.

Besides, they may still win! And some phantom 3 mil? No one gives a shit. 

No one said they didn't need to practice. They obviously do, but getting involved in the RR is a no-no, and diverting resource into a training program for a race prepped and maintained AC75 yacht that isn't going to do any meaningful racing is a waste of resource.

The simulator has worked for them in the past, and is working again now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 167149 said:

 

speight-s-gold-.jpg

Drink Speights, lose your mates...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

That’s going to be cold comfort should they keep losing  because they are undercooked, lovely excuse by the way ;-) 

Especially when they could have done something about it, like arranging more racing or being part of the RR or actually using the first boat to race against or even the small boat, but no all perfectly within their control to do but chose not to. IF they lose that is SOMEONES FAULT.  That missing 3mil that no one cares about? Probably covers the cost of running the baby boat for a few weeks of match practice.  

Or Was it a case of we are so fast we don’t need practice? Or the AI is so good etc  stay humble bro.

Jeez, you've gotten bitter since your boys got knocked out. Why not sit back and enjoy the event? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So apparently now @JALhazmat is and would have been completely okay with ETNZ getting involved in the CSS as extra race training for the Kiwi's.

Yup, you find a post of mine kicking off with oracle doing it in Bermuda and I will leave the forum for good. 
 

it’s their right to do what the fuck they want, opinion of us little internet bitches is of no importance to them. 
 

if they chose to do it then good on em.

if their fans choose to use race rustiness as an excuse for losing them YOU should be the ones questioning why they didn’t do something to prevent it as other holders had in the past. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Jeez, you've gotten bitter since your boys got knocked out. Why not sit back and enjoy the event? 

Oh come on its funny listening to someone being in denial that the fastest boat has just lost three races. 
 

if I wasn’t enjoying it I wouldn’t be up at 3am watching it.  Just wish one of the teams would string it together 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

 

Day 3, bud. Are you that shell-shocked? ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Why have they lost three races then? 

Design error by AC  in the course layout I think-----too narrow and too short a course allowing a slower boat to win races by match racing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JALhazmat said:

Yup, you find a post of mine kicking off with oracle doing it in Bermuda and I will leave the forum for good. 
 

it’s their right to do what the fuck they want, opinion of us little internet bitches is of no importance to them. 
 

if they chose to do it then good on em.

if their fans choose to use race rustiness as an excuse for losing them YOU should be the ones questioning why they didn’t do something to prevent it as other holders had in the past. 

Because even in the Americas Cup, some teams have principles. A Defender getting involved in the CSS is something Dalton has always taken issue with, so its no surprise they chose not to do it.

Perhaps they thought they could use the series itself to improve? They are doing just that. If you think you can have 3 months off a sport, and compete against someone who has been competing at the highest level the whole time, you WILL encounter "rustiness" its a fact of sport. Athletes experience it all the time. Its why you're "a little internet bitch" and those guys are World/ Olympic and AC Champions.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Oh come on its funny listening to someone being in denial that the fastest boat has just lost three races. 
 

if I wasn’t enjoying it I wouldn’t be up at 3am watching it.  Just wish one of the teams would string it together 
 

The NZ boat is faster, that is clear. It's just not fast enough to find a passing lane against a great tactical team, in boats that clearly throw a massive wind shadow in the light. 

How else do you explain NZ extending every time they are in front, while LR can't, and not losing ground when they are behind? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Oh come on its funny listening to someone being in denial that the fastest boat has just lost three races. 
 

if I wasn’t enjoying it I wouldn’t be up at 3am watching it.  Just wish one of the teams would string it together 
 

By the way, The fastest boat lost 7 races in Bermuda.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Day 3, bud. Are you that shell-shocked? ;-)

Yep I cant think of any time since Rhode Island 1983 where the outcome is unknown at 3/3

Arguably the greatest Americas Cup battle since thIs series 

Date Winner Yacht Loser Yacht Score Delta
14 September 1983 Liberty US-40 Australia II KA-6 0-1 1:10
15 September 1983 Liberty US-40 Australia II KA-6 0-2 1:33
18 September 1983 Australia II KA-6 Liberty US-40 1-2 3:14
20 September 1983 Liberty US-40 Australia II KA-6 1-3 0:43
21 September 1983 Australia II KA-6 Liberty US-40 2-3 1:47
22 September 1983 Australia II KA-6 Liberty US-40 3-3 3:25
26 September 1983 Australia II KA-6 Liberty US-40 4-3 0:41
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

I got to go out today. Was about the 2/3 mark in that fleet coming back in. Even a queue to get back in to the marina.

It's a pretty amazing flotilla right? Photos dont do it justice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Forourselves when losing a fair race in sport, one should congratulate the opponent, that was better than him in that particular moment and not trying to find excuses. Better to shut up than appear a sore loser.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

@Forourselves when losing a fair race in sport, one should congratulate the opponent, that was better than him in that particular moment and not trying to find excuses. Better to shut up than appear a sore loser.

IF you win 7 races, and the Americas Cup, then, and only then, I'll congratulate you because thats when its deserved.

The series is effectively nil all. It starts again tomorrow. No one has earned any real points yet. That goes for both teams, so shut up until you win 7.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

IF you win 7 races, and the Americas Cup, then, and only then, I'll congratulate you because thats when its deserved.

Why your sportmanship is limited to whole events and not single races? I find your comments sometimes disrespectful of your opponents.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The commentators are saying NZ is faster but putting in longer distances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Because even in the Americas Cup, some teams have principles. A Defender getting involved in the CSS is something Dalton has always taken issue with, so its no surprise they chose not to do it.

Perhaps they thought they could use the series itself to improve? They are doing just that. If you think you can have 3 months off a sport, and compete against someone who has been competing at the highest level the whole time, you WILL encounter "rustiness" its a fact of sport. Athletes experience it all the time. Its why you're "a little internet bitch" and those guys are World/ Olympic and AC Champions.

 

You had me right till the end then spoiled it thinking that you are better than the rest of us.. fucking deluded. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

IF you win 7 races, and the Americas Cup, then, and only then, I'll congratulate you because thats when its deserved.

The series is effectively nil all. It starts again tomorrow. No one has earned any real points yet. That goes for both teams, so shut up until you win 7.

Have you ever competed in any sport at any level?

Sometimes a single moment in a game or race is worthy of congratulations.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crashtack said:

I've always liked the old BBC F1 intros set to Fleetwood Mac, so I decided to create an America's Cup version. Took a bunch more time than I anticipated, but I think it turned out alright. Let me know what you think.

 

Perfekt. So much better than the official intro. That countdown cut to the music is remarkable. Goose bumps. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kenergy said:

Have you ever competed in any sport at any level?

Sometimes a single moment in a game or race is worthy of congratulations.

Agreed. But this isn't some schoolboy football game where they hand out participation trophies. This is the pointy end, the best of the best.

You don't compete in a 100m race against Usain Bolt and celebrate at the 50m mark because you're in front, only to lose the race.

 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

You had me right till the end then spoiled it thinking that you are better than the rest of us.. fucking deluded. 

What? You called yourself a little internet bitch. Thats your words, describing yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some supporters are clearly not DoG compliant! :D

Unless the "friendly competition" part was changed by mutual consent in the protocol :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Why your sportmanship is limited to whole events and not single races? I find your comments sometimes disrespectful of your opponents.

Because when you've bared witness to the roller coaster that is the Americas Cup since 1987, you learn what is important. If there's one thing Kiwi's have learned, its don't celebrate until your team crosses the line to win the final race of the series.

Single races don't matter. All that matters is winning the trophy. Until you hold the trophy you have nothing to celebrate. Do you see the teams celebrating? No, why? because they know all that matters is winning the last race. The last race is the ONLY race that matters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Because when you've bared witness to the roller coaster that is the Americas Cup since 1987, you learn what is important. If there's one thing Kiwi's have learned, its don't celebrate until your team is crosses the line to win the final race of the series.

Single races don't matter. All that matters is winning the trophy. Until you hold the trophy you have nothing to celebrate. Do you see the teams celebrating? No, why? because they know all that matters is winning the last race. The last race is the ONLY race that matters.

I would argue that race one mattered, a little.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These guys are just taking the piss. I am pretty sure that they all meet up after the races, sink massive quantities of beer and laugh their tits off. 

" Shall we do one each again tomorrow"

" Yeah mate that was fucking hilarious"

Will they just do scissors rock paper when they get to 6-6?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Agreed. But this isn't some schoolboy football game where they hand out participation trophies. This is the pointy end, the best of the best.

You don't compete in a 100m race against Usain Bolt and celebrate at the 50m mark because you're in front, only to lose the race.

 

We are fans, we are not competing. 

If you cant appreciate a good competition then you should find a new hobby. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kiwin said:

These guys are just taking the piss. I am pretty sure that they all meet up after the races, sink massive quantities of beer and laugh their tits off. 

" Shall we do one each again tomorrow"

" Yeah mate that was fucking hilarious"

Will they just do scissors rock paper when they get to 6-6?

nope

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will watch all the races, however the AC just lost something today, for me anyway.

Those two starts were fucked up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kenergy said:

We are fans, we are not competing. 

If you cant appreciate a good competition then you should find a new hobby. 

Aren't we? 

Black Magic had a crew of 4.5 million in San Diego in 1995. All invested in the team through the red socks campaign.

Every day Te Rehutai goes out to race, she has a crew of 5 million people. All invested by the amount of Taxpayers money put into the team. Thats my money, my wife's money, my next door neighbors money. So we may not be physically on board the boat, but you can be damn sure we are competing.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oversized wind shadow is a function of how much righting moment a boat has.  Shrinking these boats down to 45ft DOG minimum would help make closer racing possible.  Cutting down their mass would also make them faster through tacks and gybes with faster acceleration and less distance lost opening up more tactical options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rantro said:

I will watch all the races, however the AC just lost something today, for me anyway.

Those two starts were fucked up.

dont worry randumb,  I put a call in for you and both teams are retiring

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Aren't we? 

Black Magic had a crew of 4.5 million in San Diego in 1995. All invested in the team through the red socks campaign.

Every day Te Rehutai goes out to race, she has a crew of 5 million people. All invested by the amount of Taxpayers money put into the team. Thats my money, my wife's money, my next door neighbors money. So we may not be physically on board the boat, but you can be damn sure we are competing.

What a load of shit

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Aren't we? 

Black Magic had a crew of 4.5 million in San Diego in 1995. All invested in the team through the red socks campaign.

Every day Te Rehutai goes out to race, she has a crew of 5 million people. All invested by the amount of Taxpayers money put into the team. Thats my money, my wife's money, my next door neighbors money. So we may not be physically on board the boat, but you can be damn sure we are competing.

 4.5 million red socks single or pairs were ever sold.

I along with many do not support the baby bomber funded Kiwi campaign so please adjust your wild claims of universal national support.

Where is your proof of how much of your wife’s money actually ended up funding Lord Daltons offshore built catamaran.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Some supporters are clearly not DoG compliant! :D

Unless the "friendly competition" part was changed by mutual consent in the protocol :D

This is a friendly dog competition. Used to be one of NZs top rating shows. I don't think dogs speak Italian sorry so probably not for you guys. Feel free to challenge our sheep... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And as I enjoy watching the AC, the planet as we know it is dying.

And the signage on the boats advertises CO2 production and handbags to impress people you hate.

Maybe if all the expertise were used for good and not evil, it would help.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Aren't we? 

Black Magic had a crew of 4.5 million in San Diego in 1995. All invested in the team through the red socks campaign.

Every day Te Rehutai goes out to race, she has a crew of 5 million people. All invested by the amount of Taxpayers money put into the team. Thats my money, my wife's money, my next door neighbors money. So we may not be physically on board the boat, but you can be damn sure we are competing.

I was in San Diego in 92, do the rest of you only turn up when the team wins? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rantro said:

And as I enjoy watching the AC, the planet as we know it is dying.

And the signage on the boats advertises CO2 production and handbags to impress people you hate.

Maybe if all the expertise were used for good and not evil, it would help.

 

Hyperbole doesn't help with real problems. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, weta27 said:

That's about it!! :(

 

8 hours ago, 167149 said:

yup all the cessnas we own  followed by the mighty................piper cub, our lancaster is still parked up at western springs and some fool built houses in the way of where it could have once got up and away, oh and we also have a hurricane perched on top of a pole

Thread drift, although... Malta was a challenger once... 

You might want to read something about Malta's truly heroic defense against first the Italians and then the Germans during WW II. Air Force? Three planes must do. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Malta_(World_War_II)#Italian_siege_(June–December_1940)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dobbie#Second_World_War

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey these are historical times the only other AC match score line that was was 3-3....

22 September 1983 Australia II KA-6 Liberty US-40 3-3 3:25

What is the meaning of KA in the Australian sail number?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rantro said:

And as I enjoy watching the AC, the planet as we know it is dying.

And the signage on the boats advertises CO2 production and handbags to impress people you hate.

Maybe if all the expertise were used for good and not evil, it would help.

 

 A solar powered handbag would impress Greenpeace, who I kind of hate, so where would that leave us? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forourselves said:

I was in Auckland in 2003. Whats your point?

I was there too. You seem to claim that only winning matters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kenergy said:

I was there too. You seem to claim that only winning matters. 

It does. How many Kiwi's did you see celebrating that Sunday? As you probably saw, it wasn't a very celebratory atmosphere around the Viaduct. In the Americas Cup, as the saying goes "There is no second" 

There was Champagne breakfasts around the country when we were one win away from winning in San Francisco - turned out we would be drowning our sorrows instead of toasting a win. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rantro said:

I will watch all the races, however the AC just lost something today, for me anyway.

Those two starts were fucked up.

WTF Higher and faster always made me last. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is so fucked up..

Now I've Fleetwood Mac in my brain, thanks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14 minutes ago, rantro said:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kenergy said:

I was in San Diego in 92, do the rest of you only turn up when the team wins? 

 

11 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I was in Auckland in 2003. Whats your point?

Hey, I promise I will be in Cagliari in 2024. Does it count? :D :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

 

Hey, I promise I will be in Cagliari in 2024. Does it count? :D :D

Surely you'd rather see AC37 on the water, not from a bar half a world away?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

 

Hey, I promise I will be in Cagliari in 2024. Does it count? :D :D

Sure does! I bet its beautiful there, Everyone else will be in Auckland enjoying the next Defence though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Why your sportmanship is limited to whole events and not single races? I find your comments sometimes disrespectful of your opponents.

I’m happy to congratulate Italy for their win today. They sailed well, made no mistakes and deserved to win. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

I’m happy to congratulate Italy for their win today. They sailed well, made no mistakes and deserved to win. 

Quite pompous  but appreciated :D The same to New Zealand for the subsequent race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Thanks! So it's the old standard for national sailing numbers.  I still wonder why it was specifically KA.

UK was K (for King? Britannia was K1), all the other Commonwealth countries started with K too.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

K was UK in the old system. Seems all the Commonwealth countries then were K-,  NZ was KZ, Canada KC etc. Have learned something thanks. All changed in 2000 as we slowly lurch towards breaking ties with the mother country. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For the start of race 2 today, Jimmy turned early trying to suck NZ into that as well, again.

But he fucked up, they went the other way and left him where he had planned to leave them.

Well done PB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What did you feel about the starts. I thought LR had control on both of them today. In the first one they forced TR into a slow mode and didn't allow them to accelerate.

The second one looked very good for LR untill it became clear that they were not that slow on purpose. They just didn't have enough wind for that spot. Just a bit more speed and they would have had a leebow position or even forced TR below them like in the first start.

I feel TR  got a lucky escape.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joakim said:

What did you did you feel about the starts. I thought LR had control on both of them today. In the first one they forced TR into a slow mode and didn't allow them to accelerate.

The second one looked very good for LR untill it became clear that they were not that slow on purpose. They just didn't have enough wind for that spot. Just a bit more speed and they would have had a leebow position or even forced TR below them like in the first start.

I feel TR  got a lucky escape.

Now you will be under forourselves attack. Your bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joakim said:

The second one looked very good for LR untill it became clear that they were not that slow on purpose. They just didn't have enough wind for that spot.

DIdn't you hear the commentators on that?

The guy in the chopper said that LRs main had not popped in the head, backstay maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, strider470 said:

 

Hey, I promise I will be in Cagliari in 2024. Does it count? :D :D

How will we buy you a beer on the Viaduct then? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Just a bit more speed and they would have had a leebow position or even forced TR below them like in the first start.

tenor.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Get a fucking grip you, Kiwis. What a snivelling bunch of pussies.

One of you wankers has even changed sides, for fucks sake.

Time to focus, not to fall apart.

No likes left so I'll have to spell it out, shameful to buckle once the pressure comes on.

Link to post
Share on other sites