Jump to content

AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)


Recommended Posts

Just now, Paddywackery said:

That is simply phenomenal and uplifting.

Thanks. Was finally as expected today. Just bring your Irish singing bands to the Viaduct next time and it will be interstellar. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

 

Thread drift, although... Malta was a challenger once... 

You might want to read something about Malta's truly heroic defense against first the Italians and then the Germans during WW II. Air Force? Three planes must do. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Malta_(World_War_II)#Italian_siege_(June–December_1940)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dobbie#Second_World_War

no need to read about Malta, grand dad was there at the time with the RN

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the Kiwi's justifying the choice of a 75' mono, by saying that the cats would not cope with the rough conditions in the H (however you pronounce that ) Gulf.  That was clearly bullshit.

Even on the windier days it's been tame as bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Thanks. Was finally as expected today. Just bring your Irish singing bands to the Viaduct next time and it will be interstellar. 

Oh jaysus, we'd love to be there. Watching that flotilla was moving. 3 - 3 and all to play for with no blame attaching to anyone. Not good for the heart, even the cows are wondering what's wrong with me :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kenergy said:

Jeez, you've gotten bitter since your boys got knocked out. Why not sit back and enjoy the event? 

well he's probably got a bit on his mind right now what with covid and all and the airlines slowed way way down  so his job as a turd burglar for the nips is probably in jeopardy as well, not to mention the royal family imploding, all equates to a not quite so cheery billy bunter

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 167149 said:

no need to read about Malta, grand dad was there at the time with the RN

I'm impressed, although having a granddad with experience does not necessarily mean that you know what he knows. 

Nevertheless, I would be/have been very interested to hear what he has/had to tell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Quite pompous  but appreciated :D The same to New Zealand for the subsequent race.

How is this pompous ? ....genuinely confused........but no big deal 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fastest boat? Is that the boat that accelerates fastest?

Tacks better?

Gybes better?

Does a upwind and downwind lap?

A full race elapsed time?

Because three of the six races LR has had a faster elapsed time and three races NZ has been superior.

No one will care about the rest once a team has 7 wins. So the only thing that matters is the elapsed time. Period.

Team NZ designed a sim boat crushing lap times. Italy designed and adapted a match racing boat for guess what, a match race. 

So fuck off with all the my boat is better than yours even though we don't win every race and take it for what it is.

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cje said:

Dirty air goes further back than I imagined.

I think this is the big surprise, in light air these monster rigs dirty the track way more than anyone thought. They should have had huge chunks of plywood mounted on the front of the chase boats for practice.

It's just too bad the weather gods and the fucking Covid devil ain't gonna give us anything over 13 kt. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rantro said:

I remember the Kiwi's justifying the choice of a 75' mono, by saying that the cats would not cope with the rough conditions in the H (however you pronounce that ) Gulf.  That was clearly bullshit.

Even on the windier days it's been tame as bro.

Too bad there's been no windier days with wind against tide.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kanting_Kid said:

Fastest boat? Is that the boat that accelerates fastest?

Tacks better?

Gybes better?

Does a upwind and downwind lap?

A full race elapsed time?

Because three of the six races LR has had a faster elapsed time and three races NZ has been superior.

No one will care about the rest once a team has 7 wins. So the only thing that matters is the elapsed time. Period.

Team NZ designed a sim boat crushing lap times. Italy designed and adapted a match racing boat for guess what, a match race. 

So fuck off with all the my boat is better than yours even though we don't win every race and take it for what it is.

 

 

 

It's not about who's boat is better, it's going to be about who's entire campaign is better. But a faster boat is something that can be measured. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, barfy said:

Too bad there's been no windier days with wind against tide.

In guessing this dude hasn't spent much time in the inner gulf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kenergy said:
3 minutes ago, barfy said:

Too bad there's been no windier days with wind against tide.

In guessing this dude hasn't spent much time in the inner gulf.

No I have not.  But then I have where there are +6m tides running against the wind.

Would that count? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rantro said:

No I have not.  But then I have where there are +6m tides running against the wind.

Would that count? 

try drift fishing cook inlet alaska.......... 52 feet

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mako23 said:

How is this pompous ? ....genuinely confused........but no big deal 

I mean,  even too much.. Not a simply, good race, mate. Maybe I used the wrong adjective. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 167149 said:

try drift fishing cook inlet alaska.......... 52 feet

Ahhh, I thought we were talking sailing in it.  But I could do a google and look for big tides and play too.

I still think the cats would have worked for one more round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Oh jaysus, we'd love to be there. Watching that flotilla was moving. 3 - 3 and all to play for with no blame attaching to anyone. Not good for the heart, even the cows are wondering what's wrong with me :lol:

Cows, dogs, kids, work. Monday is going to be totally nonproductive. Pure theatre as the pundits say. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kenergy said:

It's not about who's boat is better, it's going to be about who's entire campaign is better. But a faster boat is something that can be measured. 

Yeah you can measure it however it makes you feel better in whatever breeze and angle. Still not much use having a faster boat if you are often going across the finish line second.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Please...smh

Having lost or choked in the start box three times They are well on the way to history repeating. 
 

stay humble bro ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 167149 said:

well he's probably got a bit on his mind right now what with covid and all and the airlines slowed way way down  so his job as a turd burglar for the nips is probably in jeopardy as well, not to mention the royal family imploding, all equates to a not quite so cheery billy bunter

Aww you came back I missed you. What’s with the name swap? Forget which sock to put on and jerk off with? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rantro said:

Ahhh, I thought we were talking sailing in it.  But I could do a google and look for big tides and play too.

I still think the cats would have worked for one more round.

the only higher tide range is bay of fundy, sailing in that..........nah just no fun,  cats for another round, probably double the entries but  these contraptions are certainly mind blowing , cant see an immediate trickledown though like dad in the family frightner taking mum and the kids to coromandel for the afternoon

Link to post
Share on other sites

How are PB JS and FB going to sleep after debriefing and replaying all the what ifs in the past 3 race days, and those to come. So much mental preparation required must get to them, with no real confidence your boat is faster. Seems to be fucking with everyone here! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

How are PB JS and FB going to sleep after debriefing and replaying

I thought the Italian boys looked the more shattered today.  I think they know that they have to take the kiwis out at the start or it's game over.  They looked like they lost the Cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Aren't we? 

Black Magic had a crew of 4.5 million in San Diego in 1995. All invested in the team through the red socks campaign.

Every day Te Rehutai goes out to race, she has a crew of 5 million people. All invested by the amount of Taxpayers money put into the team. Thats my money, my wife's money, my next door neighbors money. So we may not be physically on board the boat, but you can be damn sure we are competing.

Why are you dumb enough to donate money to a billionaire?:ph34r:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

To the anxious kiwis, relax, we just had a little trouble with our starboard droid, but a firmware update has it sorted now.

PB R2D2.jpg

Get Pete off the boat and put Te Artuditu on the helm!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rantro said:

I thought the Italian boys looked the more shattered today.  I think they know that they have to take the kiwis out at the start or it's game over.  They looked like they lost the Cup.

On the contrary.  Pissed off for the missed (golden) opportunity to go 4 - 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

36th America’s Cup Day 3

Andiamo!

Course A Hauraki Gulf delivered a beautiful summers Saturday sailing, though with these lighter wind speeds its defo turning into a “He who nails the start wins...” series. As ENTZ is the go low, sail further and faster boat, if the Wind Gods deliver plus 15knts this coming week… may open this regatta right up.

Race 5: LRPP crushed the start and finally broke the port entry start advantage myth, then Race 6: it was a tit-for-tat exact reversal and turn around for the Kiwis, keeping it all even-steven’s so far.

Quote of the day Freddie: “The wind shadow is gonna kill you”

Once again, the regatta restart potential hits the water tomorrow… albeit with only four wins needed for the final victory, so error margin pressures building.

If Jimmy had nailed both those starts I suspect his Red Bull fee would have soared exponentially! 

Q U I   T O T U M   V U L T   T O T U M   P E R D I T

PS: a BIG up for Mozzy Sails YT channel - for excellent deeper dives into post AC race tech analysis… thx matey.
 

 

SC.MST.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

How are PB JS and FB going to sleep after debriefing and replaying all the what ifs in the past 3 race days, and those to come. So much mental preparation required must get to them, with no real confidence your boat is faster. Seems to be fucking with everyone here! 

 
Quote

 

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best
          And
 
Always look on the bright side of life
Always look on the light side of life
 
If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing
          And
 
Always look on the bright side of life    (Come on)
Always look on the right side of life

 

 
 
[With apologies to Bwian]
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rantro said:

I thought the Italian boys looked the more shattered today.  I think they know that they have to take the kiwis out at the start or it's game over.  They looked like they lost the Cup.

Yeah i agree. As soon as the wind dropped below 9kn ... TR hauled the mail and walked away, at pace.

Looking at the forecast... it will be super light and TR will keep winning by massive margins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 45Roller said:

LSD review 

 

Cam Dunn (?) is too fond of his own voice... why bother getting Nathan Outteridge there and then hardly listening to him?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

Yeah i agree. As soon as the wind dropped below 9kn ... TR hauled the mail and walked away, at pace.

Looking at the forecast... it will be super light and TR will keep winning by massive margins.

I agree as well.  LR better hope for more wind.  After all this racing LR have done nothing.  And boy did they cock up the race 6 start.  Gotta be eating at them.  But TR is faster even if it can’t point like LR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

How are PB JS and FB going to sleep after debriefing and replaying all the what ifs in the past 3 race days, and those to come. So much mental preparation required must get to them, with no real confidence your boat is faster. Seems to be fucking with everyone here! 

Has to be exhausting.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

I agree as well.  LR better hope for more wind.  After all this racing LR have done nothing.  And boy did they cock up the race 6 start.  Gotta be eating at them.  But TR is faster even if it can’t point like LR.

In that case, as the score is 3-3,  NZ better hope that LR don't start "doing something" then.   :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kenergy said:

It's not about who's boat is better, it's going to be about who's entire campaign is better. But a faster boat is something that can be measured. 

Yep, lift both up with a dock yard cranes, cut the ropes and one will be fastest. Doesn't mean it will win races.

I think NZ have better VMG in disturbed air because they are sailing faster in wider angles, so they are taking energy from more air. LR sails their optimum VMG higher and slower, so they are taking energy more efficiently from less air... so when that air is disturbed i think it hurts them more.

But that doesn't matter on these courses, because 150m or 500m behind is much the same is there is no passing lane.

On a track with passing lanes, there might be less disturbed air so LR might be better at following.... we won't know until we know.

Both boats are fantastic. Different but similar enough that both can win races.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, strider470 said:

Thanks! So it's the old standard for national sailing numbers.  I still wonder why it was specifically KA.

The K prefix was for members of the British Commonwealth.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2021 at 2:06 AM, sfigone said:

Essentially the same problem as F1, that the disturbed air from the vehicle in front stops the one behind getting close enough to make a move.  But they can't do what F1 does to help overtaking: bigger tires, less wings, open flaps for straights, etc.  So what can they do:

  • Slow the boats down to be less than the speed of the wind, so the boat behind can throw a wind shadow forward.  Kiss good bye to foils... probably not going to happen.
  • longer legs and wider courses could help?
  • Wider gates to allow more separation?
  • Not just windward leeward races - a long around an island or similar would allow for sail changes, more robust boats, plus more sailing skills in picking a route.  Have some windward leewards as well, but mix it up so there are more diverse conditions.  I'm not sure a simple reaching leg would be enough.
  • Don't allow large amounts of stored energy, ie. no big batteries.  Make the boats use draggy hydro generators to get power to move the foils.   If you can get the boat in front to drain their oil reserves, then the boat behind can attack whilst they are recharging.

Any other ideas?

 

No foyling downwind?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why ETNZ could easily win the start in race 6

Data from 60 sec before and 100 sec after starting.

Red ETNZ / Yellow LR

Upper graph is TWS, lower graph boat speed

Screenshot_20210313-143017_YouTube.thumb.jpg.48143e367c67df346c7092b993452f62.jpg

Source: Giornale della Vela

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Agreed. But this isn't some schoolboy football game where they hand out participation trophies. This is the pointy end, the best of the best.

You don't compete in a 100m race against Usain Bolt and celebrate at the 50m mark because you're in front, only to lose the race.

 

But you may/should applaud a glorious cover drive or square cut by an opposition batsman.  I find your aggressive schoolboy attitude thoroughly boorish and distasteful to the point where my neutral stance has switched to supporting LR.  I lived in NZ for a year, have many happy memories of a beautiful country and I suspect ETNZ may well win the Match, but you aren’t winning friends. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that the boats are close enough in performance that there is some uncertainty to the outcome but the odds favor TNZ.

On average TNZ has extended more when in the lead and stayed closer when behind. This suggests a slight speed advantage to the kiwis.  This is a very inexact measure but if it is true, it suggests that TNZ will be more likely to be close enough to make a pass if the opportunity presents itself. 

In the meantime the results speak for themselves

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

But you may/should applaud a glorious cover drive or square cut by an opposition batsman.  I find your aggressive schoolboy attitude thoroughly boorish and distasteful to the point where my neutral stance has switched to supporting LR.  I lived in NZ for a year, have many happy memories of a beautiful country and I suspect ETNZ may well win the Match, but you aren’t winning friends. 

I agree we should be celebrating both teams brilliant design achievements and sailing.  I am torn between who I want to win.

I dont think we should let the boorish attitude of a small minority of fans affect our respect for TNZ. It is clear from the images and the cheering NZ fans who are clapping at the arrival of both teams a dock out that the majority of kiwis are giving their guests a generous welcome......but they are a sailing nation and naturally they passionately want their team to win.

I want the kiwis to win because I think we get a better AC37 with a kiwi defense and a Team UK CoR than we do with a LR defense and an Allinghi CoR.   

I want LR to win because they have been trying for so long and it would be great to see them finally succeed.....and good for the cup to move it around. I also love Checo's personality. 

On balance I will favor the TNZ because I worry that LR and Allinghi might take it back to displacement sailing. I also think that PB is a generational talent.  

Tough choice and I enjoy seeing them both win races.

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we all have opinions;

Kinda hoping for a LR win as I always go with the underdog.

I think NZ is much faster even in the lighter stuff. And not slow in the tacks either.

Hate to bring up conspiracy theories but could NZ be sandbagging in order to extend the series?

Don't really know why, but just have the feeling they could pass if they desired.

The numbers don't lie. They are quick.

As many of us here know, you can cover a lot of mistakes with speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So there it is - these boats/teams are perfect match racers - win the start and cover and you win.  I like Nathan’s comment that reaching starts produce tighter racing - both boats get to the first turn close and with passing options.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Until there's a pass on the race course, all the talk about boat speed is irrelevant.

Whose boat is faster means fuck all when neither of them are fast enough to overcome the dirty air and narrow track when they lose the start.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bajakiter said:

Since we all have opinions;

Kinda hoping for a LR win as I always go with the underdog.

I think NZ is much faster even in the lighter stuff. And not slow in the tacks either.

Hate to bring up conspiracy theories but could NZ be sandbagging in order to extend the series?

Don't really know why, but just have the feeling they could pass if they desired.

The numbers don't lie. They are quick.

As many of us here know, you can cover a lot of mistakes with speed.

So they have been in position to take control of the race course and win but they decided not to? 
 

right...

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I agree we should be celebrating both teams brilliant design achievements and sailing.  I am torn between who I want to win.

I dont think we should let the boorish attitude of a small minority of fans affect our respect for TNZ. It is clear from the images and the cheering NZ fans who are clapping at the arrival of both teams a dock out that the majority of kiwis are giving their guests a generous welcome......but they are a sailing nation and naturally they passionately want their team to win.

I want the kiwis to win because I think we get a better AC37 with a kiwi defense and a Team UK CoR than we do with a LR defense and an Allinghi CoR.   

I want LR to win because they have been trying for so long and it would be great to see them finally succeed.....and good for the cup to move it around. I also love Checo's personality. 

On balance I will favor the TNZ because I worry that LR and Allinghi might take it back to displacement sailing. I also think that PB is a generational talent.  

Tough choice and I enjoy seeing them both win races.

 

Let me try to make you happy:

 

LR win and TNZ will be Cor. 
Are you with me now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beginning to find the entire event a waste of time. Win the start, win the race. Magnificent boats, great technology, allegedly the best skippers and tacticians in the world (debatable). How do the 2 best drivers each manage to foul up the start in consecutive races.  Were I a conspiracy theorist I’d suspect the convention and tourist bureau had a hand in this to prolong the event.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The match is close and interesting, 3 to 3, howerver the races are a bit boring after the start as the first boat wins. The AC75 are impressive but racing cats were more fun IMO.

When LR is ahead they keep it with a small margin and when TR is ahead he increases the differential.  I can see 2 reasons, bad air, but also perhaps, when TR is behind, they need to tack more often to try to pass and have a disadvantage vs LR when tacking. Racing ahead would prevent that and allow them to increase the lead. Wondering

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I agree we should be celebrating both teams brilliant design achievements and sailing.  I am torn between who I want to win.

I dont think we should let the boorish attitude of a small minority of fans affect our respect for TNZ. It is clear from the images and the cheering NZ fans who are clapping at the arrival of both teams a dock out that the majority of kiwis are giving their guests a generous welcome......but they are a sailing nation and naturally they passionately want their team to win.

I want the kiwis to win because I think we get a better AC37 with a kiwi defense and a Team UK CoR than we do with a LR defense and an Allinghi CoR.   

I want LR to win because they have been trying for so long and it would be great to see them finally succeed.....and good for the cup to move it around. I also love Checo's personality. 

On balance I will favor the TNZ because I worry that LR and Allinghi might take it back to displacement sailing. I also think that PB is a generational talent.  

Tough choice and I enjoy seeing them both win races.

 

Very well expressed indeed. Kiwi's are lovely people and very good sports. Proud people from a small nation passionate about all things sporting and full of goodness. What's not to admire and like?

But now are hearts are torn because we see a brave challenger, full of spirit, trying to do what TNZ have achieved, win after many years of trying. And we listen to Checo and Max and everyone involved in LRPP and recognize that they are warriors proudly battling for the whole of Italy. And we love them for it. So it's very tough not to want to support them and it's why if they do win, nobody will cheer louder than the Kiwi's. If you're going to lose, lose to someone you admire and respect. They have brought an awful lot to this AC and after 20 years, they will deserve it if they can win it.

I want ETNZ to win for lots of reasons, but should they fall at the final hurdle....and I would be wounded for weeks, I will be the first to stand tall and applaud LRPP with all my heart.

 

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strider470 said:

Source: Giornale della Vela

Any information where this is measured? There seems to be a transducer in the bow sprit. Another one in the mast top?

Can that bad hole be generated by the boats passing by before the jibe?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Can that bad hole be generated by the boats passing by before the jibe?

For sure, that's what they've been talking about. Probably a combination of both soft wind and gas in this instance. Seems to me in this light stuff, don't get slow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, idontwan2know said:

Until there's a pass on the race course, all the talk about boat speed is irrelevant.

I think it's more about an even start, that is more likely than a pass after the first crossing. A faster boat may survive even a slightly lost start, if not in bad air (well then the start is clearly lost).

It's hard to say which boat would prefer being the leeward boat in an even start. TR could hammer down for better VMG as a leeward boat, but could it avoid getting a leebowed after the tack? Maybe TR could roll over LR if TR was the windward boat in an even start.

The latter happened in the start were Jimmy tried to luff, but it was not an even start. LR was a bit late and had much less speed. That start also looked like a missed opurtunity for LR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

For sure, that's what they've been talking about. Probably a combination of both soft wind and gas in this instance. Seems to me in this light stuff, don't get slow.

Yes I know they have been talking about that. But still just two boats and about one minute since they went past that spot. 5.5 knots vs. 9 knots is a huge difference. What was different this time? Hard to say have they sailed slowly on purpose or due to the same hole in the other starts. I have thought they just need to kill time and keep high on the limit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

For sure, that's what they've been talking about. Probably a combination of both soft wind and gas in this instance. Seems to me in this light stuff, don't get slow.

Out of Likes, so ++. 

NZ definitely got caught in a wind hole, as LR was downwind of them.

I guess the problem is having to slow down so they time the start OK, without getting stuck in a light patch. Tricky!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

Cows, dogs, kids, work. Monday is going to be totally nonproductive. Pure theatre as the pundits say. 

You said it and then there's the 3 am time here which is awkward and the tension which is unbearable. I have to watch it later at night to see what I missed because I couldn't take it in :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Any information where this is measured? There seems to be a transducer in the bow sprit. Another one in the mast top?

Can that bad hole be generated by the boats passing by before the jibe?

It was not the case in that gybe .Later in the timeline if you see the notes in the graph, there is the word GAS in the points where etnz  somehow shadowed LR

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

For sure, that's what they've been talking about. Probably a combination of both soft wind and gas in this instance. Seems to me in this light stuff, don't get slow.

Not at all in the first incriminate gybe.

I mean later yes, but not in the first one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, strider470 said:

Why ETNZ could easily win the start in race 6

Data from 60 sec before and 100 sec after starting.

Red ETNZ / Yellow LR

Upper graph is TWS, lower graph boat speed

Screenshot_20210313-143017_YouTube.thumb.jpg.48143e367c67df346c7092b993452f62.jpg

Source: Giornale della Vela

And this is the virtual at -40 sec, when LR was in the  very middle of the wind hole. There is no way ETNZ could be the cause of that.

Screenshot_20210313-174434_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6f394ae9d9a2076a1ec4071429859841.jpg

LR, after the gybe was perfectly on the lay line for the right mark. They were forced to be a little bit lower than they wished due to the navigation buoy, then they entered the hole and couldn't accelerate, lost speed and had to bear away looking for speed but they went off the foils nonetheless. If there was an error it is not having seen that wind hole. Their positioning and time to distance were otherwise perfect and could have been a bad one for Pete

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

And this is the virtual at -40 sec, when LR was in the  very middle of the wind hole. There is no way ETNZ could be the cause of that.

Screenshot_20210313-174434_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6f394ae9d9a2076a1ec4071429859841.jpg

LR got bit unlucky in start, kismet for race 6. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, strider470 said:

And this is the virtual at -40 sec, when LR was in the  very middle of the wind hole. There is no way ETNZ could be the cause of that.

There was speculation that the hole was caused by TR and LR going through that area while they still were on port. Thus about a minute earlier.

I think Jimmy was asked if they jibed into their own wind hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joakim said:

There was speculation that the hole was caused by TR and LR going through that area while they still were on port. Thus about a minute earlier.

I think Jimmy was asked if they jibed into their own wind hole.

Look at the virtual, and the graphs at the same time. Not the first huge one (wind from 9 to 5.5 kts, te Rehutai is not the Amerigo Vespucci tall ship),. Later in the timeline you can clearly see the two passages of te Rehutai

Link to post
Share on other sites

It begs the question of whether the pressure to win the start will result in new approaches, particularly for the starboard entry boat. Some have wondered about a port tack start. I don’t imagine that there will be much change.

As things stand, in 6 races, the teams have won 50% of the starts, 66% of port entry starts, and 33% of starboard entry starts. Those numbers suggest one of two things: 1) that the sample size is too small to give a meaningful edge to the port entry boat. Both JS and PB were of this view after day 2, and day 3 only supported their view. 2) if the numbers are meaningful, then even on a starboard entry, the chances of winning the start are good enough to keep doing what you are doing, especially in lighter, fluky airs where the port entry boat has typically been downwind after their gybe at the boundary.

One thing I wonder is whether we’ll see the port entry boat tack rather than gybe at the boundary to stay upwind of the starboard entry boat. This would allow them to reach toward the line, mitigate the risk of touching down and potentially gas the leeward boat.

Other predictions? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

LR got bit unlucky in start, kismet for race 6. 

A little. But it was just to point out that it has not been an amateur mistake from LR, or a magic trick from Peter Burling. Amen. In our sport we play with the wind, but most of the times it's the wind that plays with us. :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Will_Co said:

It begs the question of whether the pressure to win the start will result in new approaches, particularly for the starboard entry boat. Some have wondered about a port tack start. I don’t imagine that there will be much change.

As things stand, in 6 races, the teams have won 50% of the starts, 66% of port entry starts, and 33% of starboard entry starts. Those numbers suggest one of two things: 1) that the sample size is too small to give a meaningful edge to the port entry boat. Both JS and PB were of this view after day 2, and day 3 only supported their view. 2) if the numbers are meaningful, then even on a starboard entry, the chances of winning the start are good enough to keep doing what you are doing, especially in lighter, fluky airs where the port entry boat has typically been downwind after their gybe at the boundary.

One thing I wonder is whether we’ll see the port entry boat tack rather than gybe at the boundary to stay upwind of the starboard entry boat. This would allow them to reach toward the line, mitigate the risk of touching down and potentially gas the leeward boat.

Other predictions? 

Sample is too small

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Look at the virtual, and the graphs at the same line. Not the first huge one

I understand the other ones. I'm interested in the huge one. The commentators said that was likely due to what TR and LR did earlier. They went through that area about a minute before LR was in trouble. There is no data about that in the Virtual Eye. But you can see the RC and pin end winds drop quite much and for a quite a long time especially after TR enters the start box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

The starting box as well :)

Someone suggested it would be more entertaining to have 20 minutes in the start box and a 2 minute race. :)

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites