AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I might have to watch again cos I could have sworn that's what Etnz did in race 6 yesterday.

Yes, but weren’t they starboard entry? Anyway: Doing a tack instead of a gybe turned out to be the far better choice in R6 in those conditions. 

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

It’s been a peeve of mine for forever, the fear of seeing these boats fall off their foils like what happened a few times in the ACWS, it’s a terrible game-changer. Sadly, both teams dropped off in the prestarts yesterday and while it somehow balanced out? I still think the min WS is 2 knots too low! 

Wind report from nzherald

Wind won't be an issue – a 10 knot sou-easter is expected to rise to 15 knots by the time Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa are on the water for the 4.12pm and 5.12pm races.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

Wind won't be an issue – a 10 knot sou-easter is expected to rise to 15 knots by the time Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa are on the water for the 4.12pm and 5.12pm races.

Sou-easter, does that mean it could be course C?

29 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

This, in flying air traffic will separate smaller planes landing after wide body jets because of the dramatic affects of disturbed airflow.

This disturbed airflow can be several minutes after the big jet has been in that airspace and can have a dramatic affect on a small planes flight.

Think these AmCup guys are realising these sophisticated rigs are generating huge wind shadows and disturbed flow and you don’t want to be caught there.

Might also have a lot to do with ETNZ finding it hard if LR effectively match races them constantly tacking on top of them.

Note the difference if ETNZ gets out in front, a much looser cover and a horizon job distance in front.

Wake turbulence can have a drastic effect on large following aircraft as well. Especially with a bit of mishandling thrown in the mix. 

2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Alarm set then, Merci!

Boat/team names...

People are calling the teams/boats all kinds of things. It seems like even the umpires call them things that are not consistent sometimes. What are the actual official ways that the boats are supposed to be referred to in the races? I thought the boat names were supposed to be used, and do not have sponsors or countries in them... So Luna Rossa and Te Rehutai. Seems silly that the website, the team sites, the announcers, and the refs, and even all the pos(t)ers on here are using any and all names but the right ones. I mean come one...  Using "ET" as a name for the defender is, uh... Either "Emirates Team" or "Extra Terrestrial"? Better to use TR for Te Rehutai.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, amc said:

Wake turbulence can have a drastic effect on large following aircraft as well. Especially with a bit of mishandling thrown in the mix. 

American 587.

18 minutes ago, Will_Co said:

They did, but they were stbd entry boat. 

Ah good point. Must learn to read the whole sentence!

It seems a powerful position in low winds to me as it reduces the chance of getting stuck in a hole.

15 minutes ago, amc said:

Oddly enough, one of the worst offenders for wake turbulence is the 757. Following aircraft are often requested to keep 10 miles of separation.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

American 587.

was the one in Washington?

Edit: i messed up with the de-icing issue. lack of sleep.

Edited by Thewas
5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Ah good point. Must learn to read the whole sentence!

It seems a powerful position in low winds to me as it reduces the chance of getting stuck in a hole.

It’s also powerful because if you tack instead, then you can run ‘downhill’ to build speed approaching the gate, which is exactly what TR, but not LR, were able to do in R6.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Aren't we? 

Black Magic had a crew of 4.5 million in San Diego in 1995. All invested in the team through the red socks campaign.

Every day Te Rehutai goes out to race, she has a crew of 5 million people. All invested by the amount of Taxpayers money put into the team. Thats my money, my wife's money, my next door neighbors money. So we may not be physically on board the boat, but you can be damn sure we are competing.

5 million.....  we have more than that stuck in traffic just going to work.

Mozzy and his mate, in their latest vid, are spot on in pointing to the paradox of this AC so far. At 3-3 it's a close match but the actual racing, after the start, is a bit dull.

9 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Having lost or choked in the start box three times They are well on the way to history repeating. 

stay humble bro ;)

Why do you always say thrve lost 3 races and you never say theyve won 3 races? Theyve smashed LR 3 times in the start box

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Yet your team cant even win one race.

You two remind me of my twin daughters at age 6.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Thewas said:

was the one in Washington?

Edit: i messed up with the de-icing issue. lack of sleep.

I can commiserate with sleep issue, have enjoyed the Regatta but for France time is somewhat inconvenient.

11 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Have a feeling one team will brake the deadlock today & I have a feeling it will be ETNZ. 2 start wins for PB. Done. 

Quite likely some day one boat will get two wins. But it will not be done until one has 7 wins. And it may just as likely be LR.

10 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

I can commiserate with sleep issue, have enjoyed the Regatta but for France time is somewhat inconvenient.

Even more so for Ireland, Jean-Baptiste and no espresso machine........

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

LOL! Total cat fight isn't it?

It's times like this I wish we could deport citizens:lol:

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Mozzy and his mate, in their latest vid, are spot on in pointing to the paradox of this AC so far. At 3-3 it's a close match but the actual racing, after the start, is a bit dull.

Sadly, that's the case and a great shame. To be able to reliably predict the outcome after 3 minutes is not good as a sporting spectacle. I remember the race between INEOS and LRPP with 9 lead changes, very exciting. Pity we are not seeing that in the final itself.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Sadly, that's the case and a great shame. To be able to reliably predict the outcome after 3 minutes is not good as a sporting spectacle. I remember the race between INEOS and LRPP with 9 lead changes, very exciting. Pity we are not seeing that in the final itself.

forecast for a bit more breeze today so things may well change

Just now, 167149 said:

forecast for a bit more breeze today so things may well change

That would be great. And some talk of Course C but not yet announced?

19 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

8 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Add me to the list, and they say no one outside NZ or Italy is watching. You fucking bet we are.

4 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Add me to the list, and they say no one outside NZ or Italy is watching. You fucking bet we are.

You are but not many else I suggest. Sailing is hardly a popular spectator sport.

Even in NZ outside of the AC practically nobody gives a fuck about it.

1 minute ago, laser 173312 said:

Good man laser, 3 am is such an awkward time 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

You are but not many else I suggest. Sailing is hardly a popular spectator sport.

I'm sure I heard or read that it gets more attention from Kiwis than the All Blacks. I find that very hard to believe but I would not know.

There's a bar in Antwerp, Belgium that's opening at 2am just for the cup. My mate is in there every race and he says it's packed with people. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

I'm sure I heard or read that it gets more attention from Kiwis than the All Blacks. I find that very hard to believe but I would not know.

I don't watch rugby. No one I care about does. It's a meataxe sport.

Just now, Salty Seacock said:

There's a bar in Antwerp, Belgium that's opening at 2am just for the cup. My mate is in there every race and he says it's packed with people. 

What's a bar? We Irish haven't been to one for nearly a year. I tell a lie, 3 weeks over Christmas excepting.

8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

friend of mine in boston ph'd after  the race yesterday and said she'd watched it on commercial (whatever that is) and enjoyed it

Just now, Salty Seacock said:

I don't watch rugby. No one I care about does. It's a meataxe sport.

Nice to have you back Salty. How are you calling today, weather and match?

8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Isn't the population of Auckland 1 boat for every 4 people? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I think during cup time itself that is probably true.

10 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

We can't even get out after 22.00, for the lockdown, and no pub open here :(

3 minutes ago, 167149 said:

friend of mine in boston ph'd after  the race yesterday and said she'd watched it on commercial (whatever that is) and enjoyed it

It’s been ‘free to air’ on NBCSN for me (Comcast cable in my case) but there is about a 20 sec delay from VPN over YT. 

7 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

That seems to high to me. Aucklanders aren't that rich I reckon.

Not sure this is true any more, but in '95, when NZ won, I am pretty sure it was reported that NZ had more sailboats than cars. I guess perhaps it might have been more boats than cars. But the point is the same. Most people in NZ leave near the ocean, and it's not some obscure sport.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

back in the day when we were all 50cent millionaires that'd have been close, lot different now though, getting a boat is still affordable ....... keeping/ maintaining one is a killer though,, powers that be have almost decreed that DIY shall be banished and are doing their best to make it so

6 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Belgium is locked down until 01 April, no bars open, no alcohol sales after 2000 hours.

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

We can't even get out after 22.00, for lthe ockdown, and no pub open here :(

Is Naples under a different restriction than Rome, currently? I see bar/restaurants open on Campo de Fiori with outside food and drinks? 

3407E351-ADEE-4A6F-917F-1581EFF9AE38.thumb.jpeg.55fef75410153409be63cf4c163126ed.jpeg

6 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

I'd say you're spot on judging by the flotilla that sail yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Belgium is locked down until 01 April, no bars open, no alcohol sales after 2000 hours.

In order to stay alive, some of our bars are serving takeaway pints. None that I know of but it's happening.

13 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Wow, thrill seekers. And idiots. And illegal (curfew from midnight to 5 a.m.). You know pretty irresponsible and stupid people.

Just now, Rennmaus said:

Wow, thrill seekers. And idiots. And illegal (curfew from midnight to 5 a.m. You know pretty irresponsible and stupid people.

Don't worry, Belgium doesn't have the monopoly on assholes not adhering to the rules for the benefit of all.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

In order to stay alive, some of our bars are serving takeaway pints. None that I know of but it's happening.

Can takeaway in Belgium until 2000 hours, but nothing open and certainly not at 0200.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Yah, I noticed that. Fuck Pete is great in the starts. It's that flux capacitor I tell you.

Definitely around the Gulf racecourse, Channel Island. Flat rock and back in the harbour.

3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Wow, thrill seekers. And idiots. And illegal (curfew from midnight to 5 a.m. You know pretty irresponsible and stupid people.

I doubt this in fact true, Belgium very strict and no shortage of policeman or giant fines for disobeying Covid regulations. They have had an awful time there.

10 minutes ago, jaysper said:

That seems to high to me. Aucklanders aren't that rich I reckon.

Seems the Wellington v Auckland feud continues. Always got the impression Wellington was about blokes playing games with Balls.

9 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Is Naples under a different restriction than Rome, currently? I see bar/restaurants open on Campo de Fiori with outside food and drinks? 

3407E351-ADEE-4A6F-917F-1581EFF9AE38.thumb.jpeg.55fef75410153409be63cf4c163126ed.jpeg

Restrictions are  on a per region base, depending on the index Rt.

Rome is going to red now, as milan and naples. So every pub and restaurant close. From next  Monday.  before, when n yellow zone they were open until 6pm. Here the map. Sorry I don't know why Sicily went cut away.

mappa-kVq-U32503685648705yE-656x492@Corriere-Web-Sezioni.jpg.51a9925bcddc3a29dc52e9f8076912fc.jpg

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Rome is going to red now, as milan and naples. So every pub and restaurant close. From next  Monday.  before, when n yellow zone they were open until 6pm. Here the map. Sorry I don't know why Sicily went cut away.

mappa-kVq-U32503685648705yE-656x492@Corriere-Web-Sezioni.jpg.51a9925bcddc3a29dc52e9f8076912fc.jpg

Yikes.. thanks... 

I see Maui in my future before La Citta Eterna, sadly. 

My favorite little spot to spend money daily: 

30DCA184-02D7-447B-8544-293670336D45.thumb.jpeg.6664da962d89a820ce66d3dd2829c862.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

I was thinking more in the four year old bracket

11 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Seems the Wellington v Auckland feud continues. Always got the impression Wellington was about blokes playing games with Balls.

Nothing to do with a feud. 

I doubt any city outside the likes of monaco is that rich.

You're a new zealander it seems.

For every person living in ponsonby and remuera there's about 10 living on or around the poverty line in It's, Paptoetoe etc.

Truth is that most people can't afford a boat and then not everyone who can actually wants one.

1 minute ago, Woolfy said:

I was thinking more in the four year old bracket

Mine were more vocal at 6  :-). That said at teenage years they were far worse!

4 hours ago, The Advocate said:

Claiming defeat already.

No,not at all. Just wanted a chance to see the boats race up range, not gonna happen. We've been blessed, cursed, by persistent highs for a couple of years, great weather, and drought conditions.

7 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Mine were more vocal at 6  :-). That said at teenage years they were far worse!

Hell yeah:wacko:

58 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

In October I was about to put some savings in a new bike, then COVID numbers started to rise and I thought about the first lockdown with the bar closed.
Then I switch to an espresso machine. Best. Choice. Ever.
Never separate an Italian from an espresso for more than a couple of days: terrible things can happen.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Bingo, especially when it’s so light and flukey. 

Low speed manouvres are just too risky in these conditions - which is a shame for LR.  I suspect we'll see TR positioning above the lay line from now on and trying to leverage their better low mode.

24 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

yeah.................their own

6 minutes ago, Thewas said:

In October I was about to put some savings in a new bike, then COVID numbers started to rise and I thought about the first lockdown with the bar closed.
Then I switch to an espresso machine. Best. Choice. Ever.
Never separate an Italian from an espresso for more than a couple of days: terrible things can happen.

I must think about getting one. 

So far so good,
There is an emotional point of view as well.
You can't be serious about giving the cup to the Italians.
They invented mafia didn't they?
 ( I am pretty convinced the AC is a set up game)

2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

From the stern cam you can clearly determine that the racket is caused by traveller movement, not the mainsail rams.

Fair enough. LR has a removable deck plate the covers and quiets the traveler rams. ETNZ has no such fairing.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I'm still waiting for some artist to overlay a shapely leg in heels over that shape

4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Nothing to do with a feud. 

I doubt any city outside the likes of monaco is that rich.

You're a new zealander it seems.

For every person living in ponsonby and remuera there's about 10 living on or around the poverty line in It's, Paptoetoe etc.

Truth is that most people can't afford a boat and then not everyone who can actually wants one.

No, I'm British. not English, not Welsh, not Scottish nor Irish, British. And when I visited NZL for the 2003 cup I was delighted to see boats of all sizes on the water. From massive liners, the Soren Larsen, people in Kayaks, a dog being towed on a surfboard. Hell I even saw Da Woody out there. Auckland is boat crazy, that's great in my book.

Such a shame NZ will not get the expected profit this year, but come the 37th cup, I'm sure they will.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, barfy said:

Any one else got a forecast? My trusty windguru showing half the breeze of yesterday.

Yeah, predict wind was showing roughly -5 knots this morning but apparently the news is predicting 15 knots so fuck knows.

52 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

KA Kolonial Australia
KZ Kolonial Zealand?

56 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

What is the meaning of KA in the Australian sail number?

Prior to 2000 the country code for the UK/GBR was a simple "K". All of the first 13 member countries of IYRU had a single letter prefix. History does not record exactly why the UK was given K.   G was awarded to Germany (English was the lingua franca) or perhaps because D went to Denmark, Nederlands got "H" because it was called Holland in English but Spain got E. But Norway got N.   Anyway, it was likely that K stood for Kingdom of the United Kingdom.

Then when the commonwealth countries joined , they all had the prefix K.  Australia KA, Canada KC, New Zealand KZ, South Africa KZA, Rhodesia KR, Bermuda KB etc.  It was a different era and it is amazing that the sail codes remained until 2000.

No, I'm British. not English, not Welsh, not Scottish nor Irish, British. And when I visited NZL for the 2003 cup I was delighted to see boats of all sizes on the water. From massive liners, the Soren Larsen, people in Kayaks, a dog being towed on a surfboard. Hell I even saw Da Woody out there. Auckland is boat crazy, that's great in my book.

Such a shame NZ will not get the expected profit this year, but come the 37th cup, I'm sure they will.

that was 2000 when woody did his drenched muskrat thing

Nothing over 6kts forecast between 1600 and 1800 according to the free weather sites.  In fact 2-4 kts seems the consensus except for Bucklands Beach.

Local knowledge anyone?