AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

Funny arvo at the pub - at our usual "table of knowledge and bullsh*t", chatting about the AC, a chap interrupted to tell us about sailing in Sydney Harbour, in a Hartley... doing 40 knots.

Beer spit all around. :lol:

image.png.b44cabb9b87020f9019cbd37614731de.png

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Monster Mash said:

Will they try to race tomorrow?

I would say with that forecast they are practically guaranteed to race tomorrow.

Remember there a no lay days any more.

2 races per day until either ETNZ or LR take the cup.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Funny arvo at the pub - at our usual "table of knowledge and bullsh*t", chatting about the AC, a chap interrupted to tell us about sailing in Sydney Harbour, in a Hartley... doing 40 knots.

Love Hartleys is one of the coolest classes in NZ. I have campaigned one, they do plane but hitting 10 is a big deal on a wave in 25 knots of breeze. Maybe he meant he raced one and a 40 knot squall came through. 30 boats all going the same speed equals great racing 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Love Hartleys is one of the coolest classes in NZ. I have campaigned one, they do plane but hitting 10 is a big deal on a wave in 25 knots of breeze. Maybe he meant he raced one and a 40 knot squall came through. 30 boats all going the same speed equals great racing 

I think he was talking about on the trailer on the way to the boat ramp....

• Like 3
5 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

The creaking from that traveller sounds like I feel after a heavy night.  :P

Ncs said the noise is the result of over voltage driving a spool valve with a pwm signal, which makes it more efficient than a proportional valve, but makes a lovely noise.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

One of those might be jail

In my party days, we looked after the ladies if they'd had too much, made sure they got home safely or could crash in a spare bed without worries.

Maybe that's why we had no shortage of girls coming back to our parties, often bringing girl friends with them.

Plenty of booze, grass and bands, but none of this other rubbish they have access to now.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I would say with that forecast they are practically guaranteed to race tomorrow.

Tomorrow looks same as Sat. Tuesday is west ish, I'm banking on a north head show. The only west during the entire regatta I reckon

Just now, barfy said:

Tomorrow looks same as Sat. Tuesday is west ish, I'm banking on a north head show. The only west during the entire regatta I reckon

Really? They were spouting on about Iain Murray saying upto 18 knots.

Had my hopes up that we might get some weather to give ETNZ a decisive edge.

16 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

NZ hartleys a bit more developed but still 5 knots upwind 8 down

FB_IMG_1615707682838.jpg

2 minutes ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

NZ hartleys a bit more developed but still 5 knots upwind 8 down

FB_IMG_1615707682838.jpg

Used to be able to build a Hartley on the cheap - hard chine, plywood etc. Hardly fast, but still good fun out on the harbour. No doubt fibreglass now.

1 minute ago, MaxHugen said:

Used to be able to build a Hartley on the cheap - hard chine, plywood etc. Hardly fast, but still good fun out on the harbour. No doubt fibreglass now.

No still all ply wood people still build them too great class racing and super competitive they were some glass ones called quicksilvers but they were terribly slow 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Piet56 said:

1 was 60th birthday pressie from the girlfriend & the 2  0962's were when I retired.....

Wouldn't have lasted a fortnite in our house...the daughter-in-law would have mixed them with Coca Cola!

8 minutes ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

No still all ply wood people still build them too great class racing and super competitive they were some glass ones called quicksilvers but they were terribly slow 

That's cool, good home project, a bit of racing fun, and can still take out a few beers with a nice lunch for a leisurely cruise.

I am not as confident as some, that a stronger breeze will favour ETNZ. Just too many unknowns, and the handbags aren't slow. Predictions to date have all been wrong, like TR being warp speed or struggling to foil in the light, both proved wrong. I think bigger breeze may bring a crash, capsize or breakage more than anything, further muddying the waters. 

Maybe we will never know if the fastest boat won, it'll just be- a result. 

Sit tight, we're not halfway yet. 

• Like 5
10 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

Wasn't aware I'd bad mouthed Prada. Other than commenting on their rumoured liking of Bertarelli as the next challenger.

I didn’t mean you! Sorry it came across that way.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

I reakon we should foilerise one, SAAC winter project lol

I've got a couple of old boogie boards and some 4" galvanized pipe, if that's a good start?

5 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

I am not as confident as some, that a stronger breeze will favour ETNZ. Just too many unknowns, and the handbags aren't slow. Predictions to date have all been wrong, like TR being warp speed or struggling to foil in the light, both proved wrong. I think bigger breeze may bring a crash, capsize or breakage more than anything, further muddying the waters. 

Maybe we will never know if the fastest boat won, it'll just be- a result. 

Sit tight, we're not halfway yet. 

Hold Fast. Both teams are well drilled in the upper range. Imagine the spray, the mid 50 kt bearaway...awesome!

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Really? They were spouting on about Iain Murray saying upto 18 knots.

Had my hopes up that we might get some weather to give ETNZ a decisive edge.

Not sure, windguru has been spot on. More nail biting I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Nah not likely.......... this is uncle arthur he's talking about......... so 40 knots it was/is

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Haven't both teams agreed on a layday on Tuesday? 

55 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

In my party days, we looked after the ladies if they'd had too much, made sure they got home safely or could crash in a spare bed without worries.

Maybe that's why we had no shortage of girls coming back to our parties, often bringing girl friends with them.

Plenty of booze, grass and bands, but none of this other rubbish they have access to now.

Wow. Gentlemen. These are the male allies women need. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

A scholar, and, a gentleman. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

How's that view on your high horse? It's paid content, and he's ripping shit off plain and simple......

So Mozzy's getting paid by youtubers? I must be missing a trick

37 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

Wouldn't have lasted a fortnite in our house...the daughter-in-law would have mixed them with Coca Cola!

Funnily that is my mixer for the (somewhat) cheap bourbon I'm partial to, these days it's actually coke zero because I'm trying to trim some weight.

It's quite likely that after the cup I'll swear off the "EW" again, at North of 35 bucks for a half gallon it's something I should not be blowing my fixed income on, & even worse because of the association I have with that cocktail & watching anime I find myself craving potato chips in the middle of the night!

(long story on the "crisps" won't go into it) 

9 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Haven't both teams agreed on a layday on Tuesday? 

Wow. Gentlemen. These are the male allies women need. 

Fuck me I hope no lay day. The only west breeze in the show, I'm driving 3 hours to see from north head.

DALTS, remember the last lay day!!!!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, barfy said:

Not sure, windguru has been spot on. More nail biting I'm afraid.

Well, if we can get through to Wednesday we’re in for one hella of a show team:

5F7EC12D-22CD-4EBC-A7D3-154B1C413B4A.thumb.png.54a16709bcbd963adee27f45e36df00c.png

1 minute ago, barfy said:

Fuck me I hope no lay day. The only west breeze in the show, I'm driving 3 hours to see from north head.

How the fuck could you ever forget!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Well, if we can get through to Wednesday we’re in for one hella of a show team:

5F7EC12D-22CD-4EBC-A7D3-154B1C413B4A.thumb.png.54a16709bcbd963adee27f45e36df00c.png

Seems to come on a bit late, still a ways off. Top line is temp.

6 minutes ago, barfy said:

There was some discussion about it in this forum, but I cannot remember if it was a what if or a real agreement. 

4 minutes ago, barfy said:

Seems to come on a bit late, still a ways off. Top line is temp.

Not how I read it...unless it was 7 degrees this afternoon!

What is the thinking behind having the races so late in the afternoon? Is it to suit US viewers? Earlier in the day would suit European audiences more and not really be any less convenient for Aucklanders.  If the breeze isn’t there at 4pm it is very unlikely to build after that, whereas an earlier start would give some hope.

7 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

So Mozzy's getting paid by youtubers?

He's got sponsors.....He said from the beginning that he wasn't doing it for money, as I pulled him up on using copyrighted content. He changed his mind once his viewer numbers went up. Now he only posts here when he's looking to extract information....like @dorox data. He's shamelessly using Virtual eye footage as well as pics/graphs from users in here. I doubt he's sent weta any cheques........He's smart enough not to use Giles Ragets pics though - as he'd sue his arse off. Why is it okay to observe copyright rules for some guys, but not others?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

What is the thinking behind having the races so late in the afternoon? Is it to suit US viewers? Earlier in the day would suit European audiences more and not really be any less convenient for Aucklanders.  If the breeze isn’t there at 4pm it is very unlikely to build after that, whereas an earlier start would give some hope.

My understanding is that at this time of year, the breeze settles down in the later afternoon.

16 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

He's got sponsors.....He said from the beginning that he wasn't doing it for money, as I pulled him up on using copyrighted content. He changed his mind once his viewer numbers went up. Now he only posts here when he's looking to extract information....like @dorox data. He's shamelessly using Virtual eye footage as well as pics/graphs from users in here. I doubt he's sent weta any cheques........He's smart enough not to use Giles Ragets pics though - as he'd sue his arse off. Why is it okay to observe copyright rules for some guys, but not others?

Apologies - I stand corrected.

And for the record I agree with you on the copyright. At a regatta not a million miles from me they 'lifted' a whole CD (yes it was a while ago) of a mate's photos and used them for their own promo. He was (righty) livid. (He was a pro-photographer)

If stuff is off the likes of youtube or similar (or even here) it has already been placed in the public domain but at the very least a credit should be given - or better still permission requested. To even give the impression that it is one's own work is a bit lame though.

Please consider me suitably chastised, last thing I want is to make enemies and I should be pulled up when wrong like anyone else.

EDIT: Mark you one critical reply (not saying I don't deserve it) against 7 likes. And there are others apart from Mozzy that are imparting useful posts

• Like 1

36th America’s Cup Day 4

Oh, well, we watched, we waited…. and nada!

To Wed then for the possible break in the stalemate and some more dynamic match racing (we all hope)?

Quote of the day Anderson: “If you wanted to get a tan, today you picked the right day”

As the TV cam perused the spectator fleet, sweet to see one of Mr. Dubois fine silhouettes in Alloy Yachts NZ 44m sail superyacht IMAGINE D - a regular on the hook - in among those parked boats. 

For sure what came out of those infamous Auckland yards could give Vitters and Huisman a run for billionaires money. RIP Tom Hambrook and Ed for that matter.

V I V A M U S   M O R I E N D U M   E S T

SC.MST.jpg

25 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

My understanding is that at this time of year, the breeze settles down in the later afternoon.

That.

Earlier timeslot would just have a bunch of days like today with wind filling in as/just after they quit.

Meantime in theme of great Kiwi rock:

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

There was some discussion about it in this forum, but I cannot remember if it was a what if or a real agreement. 

I think the Great One, IM, offered it if the two teams agreed. But no take up apparently. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

36th America’s Cup Day 4

Oh, well, we watched, we waited…. and nada!

To Wed then for the possible break in the stalemate and some more dynamic match racing (we all hope)?

Quote of the day Anderson: “If you wanted to get a tan, today you picked the right day”

As the TV cam perused the spectator fleet, sweet to see one of Mr. Dubois fine silhouettes in Alloy Yachts NZ 44m sail superyacht IMAGINE D - a regular on the hook - in among those parked boats. 

For sure what came out of those infamous Auckland yards could give Vitters and Huisman a run for billionaires money. RIP Tom Hambrook and Ed for that matter.

V I V A M U S   M O R I E N D U M   E S T

SC.MST.jpg

Indeed Ed was a real gentleman. I got to know him when i discovered his Design 55 in a Shed in Hong Kong. Built in 1982 but never launched.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sosoomii said:

ITS not for US viewers because the start is 10,30 pm

From the AC Main web site - the following:

"The forecast for day number five is promising: ENE 10-15 knots, so teams have to set the re-set button as tomorrow looks set to deliver another tense day for sailors and spectators alike.

Today’s Post-race Press Conference has been cancelled and Races 7 & 8 will resume tomorrow 15th of March at 4:15pm NZT."

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

ITS not for US viewers because the start is 10,30 pm

On the other hand, US viewers get to see a race the day before it's run.  :lol:

As far as predicting windspeeds go, I use Windy's 3 models and take gusts and sea breezes (sun) into account. Using a simple algorithm I arrive at some figures that are better than my wet finger.

Monday 8-12kn.

Tuesday 4-8kn, but maybe 15kn. (The German ICON model differs wildly with the other two).

Wednesday 7-12kn, but maybe less.

Predictions are for 16.00 hours, and might be at the higher end towards 18.00 hours.

I am not a meteorologist, but trust the quite incredible science of modern meteorology.

P.S. My "model" predicted 3-6kn for today (Sunday), and on that basis decided not to go and watch at my local yachtclub bar for nothing but a hangover...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Advocate said:

Sacrilege

I agree but the Chairman of the Scots Whisky Association wouldn't. I asked him once what he thought about people putting Coke, Green Tea or whatever in Scots Whisky. his response was priceless.

"I don't care what people put in whisky as long as it is Scottish whisky they are putting it in."

It all depends on one's perspective i suppose

17 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

"I don't care what people put in whisky as long as it is Scottish whisky they are putting it in."

It all depends on one's perspective i suppose

Blended whiskey they could use red dot brake fluid or hydraulic oil as a mixer - I wouldn't care & the greater majority of the blends are owned by Asian Brewing houses.....

Single Malt on the other hand.... but like women and cars.... what YOU like is subjective, Countries have gone to war over less I guess.....

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

If stuff is off the likes of youtube or similar (or even here) it has already been placed in the public domain but at the very least a credit should be given - or better still permission requested. To even give the impression that it is one's own work is a bit lame though.

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I am sorry if I have missed that once or twice, but am happy to go back and fix it if I know where. Same with Sail Chaser and Justin Mitchell where I approached first before using content. 

I still post here as much as I always have and get involved with discussions as much as I always have. I don't think it's fair at all to say I am lurking. 

Secondly, I don't believe I am simply regurgitating what has been said here, whilst I may use graphs and data and images posted here (with credit) what I am trying to do is explain what I am seeing and shed a bit of light on their technical side. Of course I won't be right about everything but It's just to cover something that isn't well covered by the main coverage because the teams don't want to discuss it and the commentators can't speculate to the same degree on official broadcast. 

As for using AC footage, if I use anything over a few seconds which is edited to illustrate a specific point then they can and do claim the advertising revenue. It's not like I am playing nonstop footage that people would watch instead of the main footage. It's not competing with their content. If anything it drives more traffic their way by maintaining interest. 

• Like 26
2 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I am sorry if I have missed that once or twice, but am happy to go back and fix it if I know where. Same with Sail Chaser and Justin Mitchell where I approached first before using content. 

I still post here as much as I always have and get involved with discussions as much as I always have. I don't think it's fair at all to say I am lurking. 

Secondly, I don't believe I am simply regurgitating what has been said here, whilst I may use graphs and data and images posted here (with credit) what I am trying to do is explain what I am seeing and shed a bit of light on their technical side. Of course I won't be right about everything but It's just to cover something that isn't well covered by the main coverage because the teams don't want to discuss it and the commentators can't speculate to the same degree on official broadcast. 

As for using AC footage, if I use anything over a few seconds which is edited to illustrate a specific point then they can and do claim the advertising revenue. It's not like I am playing nonstop footage that people would watch instead of the main footage. It's not competing with their content. If anything it drives more traffic their way by maintaining interest. 

I wasn't having a go at you per se & if you have contacted these guys -no worries. Easy to miss people when you are trying to hit a deadline. Difficult to use AC footage without them getting a auto acknowledgement with the AC logo in the corner ;-)

If you are not right each and every time well join the human race. Trouble with these forums sometimes is that people will grasp at the smallest thing sometimes - I've been there. Personally? I like your stuff. - Now I'll probably get trolled - AGAIN!

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I think we all appreciate the insights to the AC36 that you have added. 

In general there has been limited interesting commentary outside of the official line. RG has been a bit quiet,  Matt Sheehan has his moments. The Italian Duo have been quieter than expected. 

7 hours ago, Piet56 said:

Mate - I've tried to like the blended stuff.... blame my Father but I am a single malt guy.....

A man of fine taste. Most blends are so so but J & B and The Famous Grouse are not three bad. 

My malt taste swings to the west. Currently I have Lagavuilin (it's even used for navigation guidance in the CCC Sailing Directions) Caol Ila, Bowmore and Laphroig on the shelf along with a very nice Oban with a couple of Glen Livet special bottlings to even it up. 

Ironically, thanks to a much lower tax rate, a good dram is cheaper here in China than in the old country.

Of course one would expect a lad frae Aiberdeen tae hae guid taste. The city of my birth by the way. From the sound of it about as long ago as yersel. (Womanhill perhaps?)

Slainte

Shanghai Sailor

6 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

In general there has been limited interesting commentary outside of the official line.

There's been plenty of worthwhile discussion about the boats and the event in here. I recall Mozzy being totally against the boats when the design was first released - dishing them endlessly. So he's done a complete about face on that, to the extent that he's making fucking videos about them now..... Likewise on "I'm not doing this for money" I notice he didn't address that in his little blurb up there. 

37 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Just tell them to fuck off and put them on ignore mozzy.

Some of these grumpy old cunts would whinge is a super model left too much saliva on their 2 inch dicks.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

There's been plenty of worthwhile discussion about the boats and the event in here. I recall Mozzy being totally against the boats when the design was first released - dishing them endlessly. So he's done a complete about face on that, to the extent that he's making fucking videos about them now..... Likewise on "I'm not doing this for money" I notice he didn't address that in his little blurb up there. 

Ahem!!! Just because someone is paying you to do something doesn't mean you are doing it for the money - what a weird lot are here at times. I often do coaching on, particularly match racing and the rules and also umpiring here in China - have done for years. Sometimes at the end of a session someone will stuff a fat envelope into my hand or drop it in my sailing bag or a credit will appear on my Wechat.

Does that mean i am doing it for money - hell no it doesn't. If you are doing something for someone because you enjoy it or feel you have to and they then drop you some wonga that doesn't mean you are doing it FOR the money.

Getting paid for something and "Doing it for the money are poles apart!!!!

There you are I'VE addressed it.

Get a Fucking life people.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Some of these grumpy old cunts would whinge is a super model left too much saliva on their 2 inch dicks.

Nice put down Jaysper - 2 inch? that's generous

57 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Secondly, I don't believe I am simply regurgitating what has been said here, whilst I may use graphs and data and images posted here (with credit) what I am trying to do is explain what I am seeing and shed a bit of light on their technical side.

I've just recommended your videos to some people who are interested in the event but are not hard-core fans or racers. Keep it up, it's been the best background commentary around in this cycle. 

46 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Many of us have done total about faces on these boats. I was dead set against changing from foiling cats to a monohull.  I was wrong.  These boats are great.

I like Mozzy's videos. They are different. They pull together some alternate opinions and insights that we just dont get from official media.

I think he started doing them for interest. If his objective was purely money, then he would be making videos for a larger audience than AC fans . Sailing is Mozzy's passion. He makes interesting and thoughtful videos. Its great that he brings in some revenue to warrant the time he spends. It is also great that he carefully reads SA forums for ideas and insights (what other journalists call research) . He surfaces some insights that mainstream media does not.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, barfy said:

Ncs said the noise is the result of over voltage driving a spool valve with a pwm signal, which makes it more efficient than a proportional valve, but makes a lovely noise.

The rules governing valves and their use are some of the more complex parts of the Class Rule. Here are the most basic rules:

22.5        The only devices permitted for controlling the flow of hydraulic fluid through an HCC 
are:
(a)      force input devices, only as expressly permitted in Rule 21.2;
(b)      mechanically operated valves;
(c)      valves actuated by an ECC;
(d)      two-port devices, not controlled by an ECC, that limit flow to one direction, regulate 
flow and/or regulate pressure, such as:
(i)         two-port pressure relief valves;
(ii)        two-port check valves;
(iii)       two-port pressure-compensated flow control valves; and
(iv)       two-port devices with fixed or adjustable orifices; and
(e)      devices, not controlled by an ECC, that limit flow to one direction, regulate flow and/or 
regulate pressure, providing that such a device is subject to the pressure of no more than one 
actuator chamber, which shall always be the same actuator chamber, and is always isolated from all 
other actuator chambers.

22.6        For the avoidance of doubt, the following types of components are prohibited as they 
are capable of using feedback from the yacht state and are not listed within the permitted 
exceptions of Rules 22.5 (d) and 22.5 (e):
(a)      external pilot-operated sequence valves;
(b)      external pilot-operated counter balance valves;
(c)      external pilot-operated pressure relief valves;
(d)      valves that use internal feedback to control flow rate in proportion to an electrical 
input;
(e)      hydraulic devices with more than two ports that provide logic between:
(i)         different control functions;
(ii)        different hydraulic actuators of the same control function;
(iii)       different actuator chambers of the same hydraulic actuator; and
(iv)       different pressure supply lines; and
(f)       variable displacement pumps that change their characteristics automatically in response 
to pressure, unless that automation is achieved using only those devices that are permitted by 
Rules 22.5 (d) and 22.5 (e).

Your usage of metaphors is astounding, mate :D

:lol:

3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

On the other hand, US viewers get to see a race the day before it's run.  :lol:

I think the best part of all of this is the big FUCK you to Europe and USA based on the starting times even a shift of 2 hours earlier from 1600 to 1400 would have made a huge difference in viewership.  

12 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

I know he's quite popular in here, and he used to post quite regularly as well, but since doing his YT thing he's just lurking, and regurgitating the discussion in here as his own "original" content. He said he wasn't doing it for money - he is......That makes him a liar, thief, and a fraud in my book.

So you have developed all your sailing knowledge yourself and do all your analysis from first principles?  You've never once read anything you didn't already know? You've never learnt any insight from another and then included that in your own analysis? 

Besides the amount of bullshit said in these forums, even if so his content in only from here without his own thoughts, then just the act of curating all the diverse opinions and sifting out the rubbish to come up with one coherent and entertaining segment is itself a valuable skill.

All good creators stand on the shoulders of giants.  If Mozzy is getting his info only from here, then he is standing on the low shoulders of a bunch of piss ant hunch back wankers!

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, sfigone said:

So you have developed all your sailing knowledge yourself

I was a 4 and half stone kid when I first pushed off from the beach in a Starling. Way too light, so it was a pretty scary experience, but that's how I learnt. I never had a book, and there certainly were no videos - videos didn't even exist back then. So no, I didn't learn to sail from the Internet because it didn't exist.

32 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

I think the best part of all of this is the big FUCK you to Europe and USA based on the starting times even a shift of 2 hours earlier from 1600 to 1400 would have made a huge difference in viewership.  

I can confirm that getting out of the bunk at 3 am is a pain in the arse. And last night, despite the well advised warnings on little or no wind, it proved a bit of a stretch waiting for action that never happened. I’m glad in the end that racing was postponed because a win based on who stayed on the foils would be cruel. So no complaints, the home team deserve to set the timing and host the event. And it’s a very good one, now bring on more racing. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

A man of fine taste. Most blends are so so but J & B and The Famous Grouse are not three bad. 

My malt taste swings to the west. Currently I have Lagavuilin (it's even used for navigation guidance in the CCC Sailing Directions) Caol Ila, Bowmore and Laphroig on the shelf along with a very nice Oban with a couple of Glen Livet special bottlings to even it up. 

Ironically, thanks to a much lower tax rate, a good dram is cheaper here in China than in the old country.

Of course one would expect a lad frae Aiberdeen tae hae guid taste. The city of my birth by the way. From the sound of it about as long ago as yersel. (Womanhill perhaps?)

Slainte

Shanghai Sailor

I feel that I have to speak up for our very own masterfully blended Irish Whiskey. What with Saint Patrick‘s Day on Wednesday, have yourself a nice Jameson or a Paddy, and enjoy. I hereby grant you all Irishness on Wednesday. 

Disclaimer: This is not a paid promotion, no sponsorship or marketing fees were involved, though if the truth be told, I had a wee taste last night just to confirm that my recommendation was valid. 

16 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I was a 4 and half stone kid when I first pushed off from the beach in a Starling. Way too light, so it was a pretty scary experience, but that's how I learnt. I never had a book, and there certainly were no videos - videos didn't even exist back then. So no, I didn't learn to sail from the Internet because it didn't exist.

so how far has that self learned knowledge taken you in sailing? - serious question!

And i bet you wouldn't have the balls to call Mozzy a "liar, thief, and a fraud" in the yacht club bar

Another keyboard coward - now where is that ignore button, i've seen enough!

1 hour ago, Enzedel92 said:

West coast US here and this is at a better time for viewing than Bermuda or SF. 
I doubt they’d plan their event as a fuck you. 

6 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I feel that I have to speak up for our very own masterfully blended Irish Whiskey. What with Saint Patrick‘s Day on Wednesday, have yourself a nice Jameson or a Paddy, and enjoy. I hereby grant you all Irishness on Wednesday. 

Disclaimer: This is not a paid promotion, no sponsorship or marketing fees were involved, though if the truth be told, I had a wee taste last night just to confirm that my recommendation was valid. 

It would be almost a sin if a Paddy didn't stand up for their own whiskey (even if it is spelt incorrectly ;)) just as a Jock should also do the same for our own 'water of life', but two fellow Celts would be better served discussing this while sitting in comfortable buttoned leather armchairs in front of a peat fire with our own version of the barley brew in our hands. Here's to a glorious St Patrick's Day - the scourge of the snake - and i will gladly take a toast to St Patrick on the 17th. I also invite you to toast our own St Andrew later on in the year (Nov 30)

Sliante

SS

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

so how far has that self learned knowledge taken you in sailing? - serious question!

Exactly as far as I want to go......  I still own a couple of boats and do better than average in my local can events.

10 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Another keyboard coward

Yeah, you sound real scary....I hope I don't run into you in a dark alley........Go fuck yourself dipshit.