Jump to content

AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I am often said mine either. :)

Petra a ra ? Len a ra Breizh ?

Non, éduqué par des religieuses strictes en français correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah, merci ! c'est du breton correct. Kenavo  :)

I am 70, in 50s and 60s the teaching of Breton language was discouraged. Today is quite different and seems language and culture have a small renaissance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

When you push off from the beach in a one person boat it's just you and the boat. I wasn't alone in the sense that I had siblings on the beach and other kids on the water, plus I was sailing in suitable conditions for my weight and experience. You learn fast though, and I crewed on Sunbursts, Cherubs, and Rothmans, with some pretty good other sailors. Back then things were pretty rudimentary.......

Good for you!  Isn't junior sailing empowering.

But now, things are less rudimentary and you can use the internet to watch sailing, read advice, discuss analysis and generally talk bollocks about sailing.      People now learn by both ways.   No need to call them thieves, liars and frauds because they take input over http rather than by bullhorn or the harsh word of the slightly older kids with the tiller in their hand.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From the LRPP fan page on FB:  "Alla fine della coppa, per la prima volta nella storia dello sport saranno più stanchi i telespettatori che gli atleti!"

Which means: "At the end of the cup, for the first time in the history of the sport there will me more tired remote spectators than tired athletes!"

:)

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

That’s a very relaxing picture you paint Dogwatch. I’m transfixed to the screen feeling the tension. 
 

I should mention that Mrs. Paddy has muttered .....what time is it? .... and at 2.45am, I reply, 6.00 am ..... to avoid the inevitable ‘are you mad blah, blah’. And to be sure to be sure, I flick the power on and off so when she casts an eye at the bedside clock, it flashes ‘00.00’

She has mentioned this fault on the alarm clock but I’ve put her mind to rest by reminding her that it has never let us down. :lol:

Mrs Strider mutterd as well... how many regattas are there? I answered it was at the best of 27 :D :D :D

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jaysper said:

Nothing I wrote indicated lack of support for ETNZ.

I am simply being realistic about their chances and the true benefits of hosting the cup.

Well I've only Visited New Zealand once, Feb 2003, I didn't go there to watch Rugby, Cricket or go outbacking. I flew to the other side of the globe to watch TNZ fight Alinghi for a useless, yet priceless trophy, bought by the Queen of Great Britain for 100 Guineas 170 years ago. And whilst there I met many others from all over the globe who were doing exactly the same. 

Now I know that Covid has had it's effect, as it has all over the world. But 2003, that was a once in a life trip for me, bucket list if you like, but I spent a lot of money whilst there. Don't you want New Zealand to make that money again? From people on that once in a lifetime trip, Regular visitors don't spend big bucks, like first timers do. 

If you can't make money from the America's Cup .......

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Mrs Strider mutterd as well... how many regattas are there? I answred it was at the best of 27 :D :D :D

Ma femme suggested (ordered) I depart bedroom if wish watch AC. She did not seem overly sad.

:-)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Ma femme suggested (ordered) I depart bedroom if wish watch AC. She did not seem overly sad.

:-)

Funny how we want to watch but our wives do not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I called it yesterday long before the Boats were heading out:

TODAY: 5-3 ETNZ

TOMORROW: 7-3 ETNZ

Let's get this over with! Boring AC Match in my mind. No passes for the entire Prada Cup Semifinals, Finals and Match thus far. Last time we saw a pass was in that 9-lead chance Round Robin Race between ITUK and LR.

If these Boats are too be retained (and I hope they will) some tweaks need to be made. Wind Shadow coming of these Boats are too big. If you get behind early you can't pass.

I am a bit torn between these AC75's and the AC72's in SF 2013.

In SF Race 1 had 3 passes alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Funny how we want to watch but our wives do not. 

I have La Seil and Mini, wife says toilet in boat? Non. She says enjoy solitaire sailing.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Well, I called it yesterday long before the Boats were heading out:

Yes all appreciate your knowledge and modesty, Merci.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Well, I called it yesterday long before the Boats were heading out:

TODAY: 5-3 ETNZ

TOMORROW: 7-3 ETNZ

Let's get this over with! Boring AC Match in my mind. No passes for the entire Prada Cup Semifinals, Finals and Match thus far. Last time we saw a pass was in that 9-lead chance Round Robin Race between ITUK and LR.

If these Boats are too be retained (and I hope they will) some tweaks need to be made. Wind Shadow coming of these Boats are too big. If you get behind early you can't pass.

I am a bit torn between these AC75's and the AC72's in SF 2013.

In SF Race 1 had 3 passes alone.

It's tense as fuck. I am not a fan of either team, but I find myself not wanting to watch it because it is too tense. You think that's boring? The wind shadow is great. I think it would be 5 to 1 if it wasn't there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pusslicker said:

It's tense as fuck. I am not a fan of either team, but I find myself not wanting to watch it because it is too tense. You think that's boring? The wind shadow is great. I think it would be 5 to 1 if it wasn't there. 

Well, having the Defender race the Challenger of Record was IMO the worst possible outcome for this Match because those two put the Design Rule together. We really needed either AM or ITUK to break through because they had a different Design which would have made for more exciting racing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Well, having the Defender race the Challenger of Record was IMO the worst possible outcome for this Match because those two put the Design Rule together. We really needed either AM or ITUK to break through because they had a different Design which would have made for more exciting racing!

So in your opinion ETNZ and LR share the same design, that is: similar hull, identical foils, same boom and sails... :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Funny how we want to watch but our wives do not. 

My hubby wants to watch as much as I do. But we both cannot get up at 4 am die to life as such, so we watch the replays after work (weekdays) and caring for the mother-in-law (weekends) in the afternoon.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

I have La Seil and Mini, wife says toilet in boat? Non. She says enjoy solitaire sailing.

 

Haha! To be fair though most females do not like buckets

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, strider470 said:

So in your opinion ETNZ and LR share the same design, that is: similar hull, identical foils, same boom and sails... :D

No I am not saying that but they had the same concept. Look how close (Speedwise/Angles) are the two Boats are in these 9-14 Knots Wind Conditions.

One of the Reasons we had such an exciting, lots of passes, etc. AC34 is because OTUSA & ETNZ came from opposite sites of the Design Spectrum and sort of meet in the middle.

What an exciting Race that was :)

The Upwind Leg was breathtaking, "America's Cup on Steroids" as Gary Jobson put it sooo well. Incredible Racing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

No I am not saying that but they had the same concept. Look how close (Speedwise/Angles) are the two Boats are in these 9-14 Knots Wind Conditions.

One of the Reasons we had such an exciting, lots of passes, etc. AC34 is because OTUSA & ETNZ came from opposite sites of the Design Spectrum and sort of meet in the middle.

What an exciting Race that was :)

If you quickly check the data from the two boats you will find that they are not similar at all. On the contrary they couldn't be more different. upwind for instance, LR pointing higher and slower, covering through faster tacks... and so on. I cant't agree with you on this, sorry.

In the end the only thing similar is VMG, but obtained in very different ways.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

My hubby wants to watch as much as I do. But we both cannot get up at 4 am die to life as such, so we watch the replays after work (weekdays) and caring for the mother-in-law (weekends) in the afternoon.

My wife enjoys watching, just not at 0400.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

My wife enjoys watching, just not at 0400.

Mine enjoys the races but hates me spending time on Sailing Anarchy :D

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Mine enjoys the races but hates me spending time on Sailing Anarchy :D

I have a nice workshop in one of the barns, she pretends to believe I am being useful and not napping, drinking wine, SA, or watching YT videos.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

My hubby wants to watch as much as I do. But we both cannot get up at 4 am die to life as such, so we watch the replays after work (weekdays) and caring for the mother-in-law (weekends) in the afternoon.

Good for you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

No I am not saying that but they had the same concept. Look how close (Speedwise/Angles) are the two Boats are in these 9-14 Knots Wind Conditions.

One of the Reasons we had such an exciting, lots of passes, etc. AC34 is because OTUSA & ETNZ came from opposite sites of the Design Spectrum and sort of meet in the middle.

What an exciting Race that was :)

The Upwind Leg was breathtaking, "America's Cup on Steroids" as Gary Jobson put it sooo well. Incredible Racing!

Btw I can agree with you on the fact that the races are quite boring so far, apart from the pre start. But the reason is not any similarity in design of the two boat, that are completely different indeed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

That’s a very relaxing picture you paint Dogwatch. I’m transfixed to the screen feeling the tension. 

I'm transfixed from 3 minutes before the start until the first gate. After that, not so much.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Btw I can agree with you on the fact that the races are quite boring so far, apart from the pre start. But the reason is not any similarity in design of the two boat, that are completely different indeed.

We needed Racing like this one:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What does the local weatherman say about the wind today?
Being already worn out from the 04:00h „getting out of bed“ at this side of the world. But it is a must see for me. I really enjoy it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

That was amazing indeed.

It was! Totally amazing!

I think the Commentators have a Point. We need a more shifty Race Track and the only way we get that is if the breeze comes over the land. Today we have again ENE Wind Direction so probably again Course A and more one way traffic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Manfred said:

What does the local weatherman say about the wind today?
Being already worn out from the 04:00h „getting out of bed“ at this side of the world. But it is a must see for me. I really enjoy it.

We shoud have an app that wake us up only in case of actual race starting :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Manfred said:

What does the local weatherman say about the wind today?
Being already worn out from the 04:00h „getting out of bed“ at this side of the world. But it is a must see for me. I really enjoy it.

10-14 from ENE so should be ok for Racing!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Redreuben said:

My nephew wants to know why the grinders use arms and not legs ?

You don't have grey hair.

1977 Sverige launched with Volvo fabricated leg powered winches. Recumbent seating.

Soon replaced, in the buff mags of the day, stated too much friction in the system.

They also suffered in 1980 for having "made in country" sailcloth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Advocate said:
18 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

I know he's quite popular in here, and he used to post quite regularly as well, but since doing his YT thing he's just lurking, and regurgitating the discussion in here as his own "original" content. He said he wasn't doing it for money - he is......That makes him a liar, thief, and a fraud in my book.

I could not agree with you more. I saw some info from here and watched in the hope he at least gave a credit to the poster for their work, but nothing, was the last one I watched.

I went back and checked the vid I was referring to as having unaccredited  material and see there was an onscreen credit.

I apologise to Mozzie for my comments regarding not giving credits. Not a fan of how it was done, but it was done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, all the subjects reached during and after the day got canned due to low wind :D 

Agree with several posters above, it was a big relief to me too that racing didn’t somehow get off in conditions that marginal. Bring on the breeze! 
 

Some media folks are guessing that TR’s downwind dominance will prove even stronger in 15+ because of their supposedly lower-drag foils due to them having smaller area, but I wonder: At what TWS do both boats hit the cavitation wall at speeds in the low 50’s? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I am sorry if I have missed that once or twice, but am happy to go back and fix it if I know where. Same with Sail Chaser and Justin Mitchell where I approached first before using content. 

I still post here as much as I always have and get involved with discussions as much as I always have. I don't think it's fair at all to say I am lurking. 

Secondly, I don't believe I am simply regurgitating what has been said here, whilst I may use graphs and data and images posted here (with credit) what I am trying to do is explain what I am seeing and shed a bit of light on their technical side. Of course I won't be right about everything but It's just to cover something that isn't well covered by the main coverage because the teams don't want to discuss it and the commentators can't speculate to the same degree on official broadcast. 

As for using AC footage, if I use anything over a few seconds which is edited to illustrate a specific point then they can and do claim the advertising revenue. It's not like I am playing nonstop footage that people would watch instead of the main footage. It's not competing with their content. If anything it drives more traffic their way by maintaining interest. 

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation.

I am more than happy to contribute any pics that might help his efforts to add to the technical conversation about these amazing machines, and very appreciative that he asked.

Like RG, Mozzy puts his neck out and puts many hours into his YouTube channel and contributions to this forum.

He adds far more to this place than do the serial sideline critics and grumpy fucks.

Keep up the great work Mozzy!

  • Like 30
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A question for the sailors out there:  Why have we not seen one team try a even split tack start - heading to the right?  If both boats are relatively even then at least you'd have right of way.  Is it too risky, too hard or because the left has been favoured?  It would at least create a more exciting first leg...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sfigone said:

From the LRPP fan page on FB:  "Alla fine della coppa, per la prima volta nella storia dello sport saranno più stanchi i telespettatori che gli atleti!"

Which means: "At the end of the cup, for the first time in the history of the sport there will me more tired remote spectators than tired athletes!"

:)

 

 

 

Hmmm 1983 ?  Including the fact that they weren't really athletes back then :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

 

A question for the sailors out there:  Why have we not seen one team try a even split tack start - heading to the right?  If both boats are relatively even then at least you'd have right of way.  Is it too risky, too hard or because the left has been favoured?  It would at least create a more exciting first leg...

Because it is a match race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, weta27 said:

......................Like RG, Mozzy puts his neck out and puts many hours into his YouTube channel and contributions to this forum.

He adds far more to this place than do the serial sideline critics and grumpy fucks.

Keep up the great work Mozzy!

THIS>>>>> WELL SAID!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you get the announcement of the selected Course each day?  Even Dr Google is having trouble finding it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strider470 said:

Mine enjoys the races but hates me spending time on Sailing Anarchy :D

That's a problem in this household too, Strider. Can't understand what the fuss is about myself. ;-)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, weta27 said:

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation.

I am more than happy to contribute any pics that might help his efforts to add to the technical conversation about these amazing machines, and very appreciative that he asked.

Like RG, Mozzy puts his neck out and puts many hours into his YouTube channel and contributions to this forum.

He adds far more to this place than do the serial sideline critics and grumpy fucks.

Keep up the great work Mozzy!

Mic drop.....Respect 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

That's a problem in this household too, Strider. Can't understand what the fuss is about myself. ;-)

So much culture, international perspective, intellectual musings, nuanced language and navel gazing. What is the fuss about?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barnyb said:

Looks like the LR boys are interested in SUP's!

 

159514377_3878526805537682_4837683690022838629_n.jpg

Exactly as it should be, and if she were paddling past my boat, that's what I'd be doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

So much culture, international perspective, intellectual musings, nuanced language and navel gazing. What is the fuss about?

There used to be more tits, perhaps she is recalling the good old days....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

There used to be more tits, perhaps she is recalling the good old days....

We saw a nice pair recently when LRPP won a race :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

 

A question for the sailors out there:  Why have we not seen one team try a even split tack start - heading to the right?  If both boats are relatively even then at least you'd have right of way.  Is it too risky, too hard or because the left has been favoured?  It would at least create a more exciting first leg...

A very good question, and a detailed answer is long, and involved, and has many "what ifs".

In short.

The port tack yacht must give way to starboard tack, except when both boats approach the port course boundary.
To effect a successful port tack start that boat must be able to clear ahead the starboard tack boat if starting from the pin end. However, to do that the port tack boat must have good distance below (to leeward) of the other yacht, AND be ahead by at least 2 boat lengths. In a Match race it is not easy getting that kind of separation from your competitor.  If you are the windward boat, and you are both on starboard, you take the opposition to the boundary and you tack to put yourself in the leebow position to force the opposition to either tack away, or bear away to attempt speed and clear air.

This is a VERY simplistic explanation. So I expect all the know-it-alls to add all the other possibilities.

Fire away

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weta27 said:

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation.

I am more than happy to contribute any pics that might help his efforts to add to the technical conversation about these amazing machines, and very appreciative that he asked.

Like RG, Mozzy puts his neck out and puts many hours into his YouTube channel and contributions to this forum.

He adds far more to this place than do the serial sideline critics and grumpy fucks.

Keep up the great work Mozzy!

I agree Mozzy  is putting out information which increases the knowledge of the technical side of the cup. I don’t give a rats arse if some of its regurgitated information. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just sayin: AC36 was dubbed as Stadium Racing but not a single Day has been raced on Course C. I feel for all the Sailing Enthusiastic New Zealanders who wanted to watch from North Head or Bastion Point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Don said:

A very good question, and a detailed answer is long, and involved, and has many "what ifs".

In short.

The port tack yacht must give way to starboard tack, except when both boats approach the port course boundary.
To effect a successful port tack start that boat must be able to clear ahead the starboard tack boat if starting from the pin end. However, to do that the port tack boat must have good distance below (to leeward) of the other yacht, AND be ahead by at least 2 boat lengths. In a Match race it is not easy getting that kind of separation from your competitor.  If you are the windward boat, and you are both on starboard, you take the opposition to the boundary and you tack to put yourself in the leebow position to force the opposition to either tack away, or bear away to attempt speed and clear air.

This is a VERY simplistic explanation. So I expect all the know-it-alls to add all the other possibilities.

Fire away

Thanks for that.  Thinking about it more I I realise it was a very noob question.  So in reality the only way we will see it is if the Windward boat decides they have enough time and distance before the start line to do a port tack and be at max speed at the start time.  We sort of saw that in race 1 world series - in that case LR.  It would be interesting to see ETNZ try it if it was an option.  All things being equal it could answer the speed question in whatever the conditions were.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Thanks for that.  Thinking about it more I I realise it was a very noob question.  So in reality the only way we will see it is if the Windward boat decides they have enough time and distance before the start line to do a port tack and be at max speed at the start time.  We sort of saw that in race 1 world series - in that case LR.  It would be interesting to see ETNZ try it if it was an option.  All things being equal it could answer the speed question in whatever the conditions were.

Sailing, and especially match racing, and teams racing is all about % of risk. In the Americas Cup, there are ONLY the best sailors, so it is a given that boat speed and handling will be almost 100%. Tactics are based on % of risk. Port tack starts are high % of risk, there are better alternatives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Sailing, and especially match racing, and teams racing is all about % of risk. In the Americas Cup, there are ONLY the best sailors, so it is a given that boat speed and handling will be almost 100%. Tactics are based on % of risk. Port tack starts are high % of risk, there are better alternatives.

Only way to port tack would be to take the stern.  Might work if you thought the right side of the beat would be better. 

You would never risk a port tack across the bow of a starboard yacht in Match racing. 

A good stern pass might mean you would only be a boat length behind at the gun, not much more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

 

You would never risk a port tack across the bow of a starboard yacht in Match racing. 

Except we've seen this one time...  and they didn't get a penalty because of the ridiculous interpretation of the change of course rule.  It's basically impossible to force a penalty with this rule set and precision.  I say go for it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

 

A question for the sailors out there:  Why have we not seen one team try a even split tack start - heading to the right?  If both boats are relatively even then at least you'd have right of way.  Is it too risky, too hard or because the left has been favoured?  It would at least create a more exciting first leg...


Given these boats are so fast and that TH probably has a 3 or more knots better low mode, I do wonder whether she could hammer in on port, dip under LR at the line, use the clear air to get level at least and then use starboard advantage to take that first cross.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is going to be THE day.

There is no doubt that TNZ are the "faster" boat in a straight line. So LR MUST keep it close in the prestart, so they must hunt TNZ. The longer TNZ can avoid close proximity when in the start box, the higher their potential for an even or winning start.

I expect LR to be very aggressive prestart because they know if TNZ gets ahead, they will not catch them barring an incident.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Don said:

Today is going to be THE day.

There is no doubt that TNZ are the "faster" boat in a straight line. So LR MUST keep it close in the prestart, so they must hunt TNZ. The longer TNZ can avoid close proximity when in the start box, the higher their potential for an even or winning start.

I expect LR to be very aggressive prestart because they know if TNZ gets ahead, they will not catch them barring an incident.

Whoever wins two Races today will win the Match I think? If they square again then there could be another Delay in the cards. Conditions don't look good for tomorrow per Iain Murray.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don said:

A very good question, and a detailed answer is long, and involved, and has many "what ifs".

In short.

The port tack yacht must give way to starboard tack, except when both boats approach the port course boundary.
To effect a successful port tack start that boat must be able to clear ahead the starboard tack boat if starting from the pin end. However, to do that the port tack boat must have good distance below (to leeward) of the other yacht, AND be ahead by at least 2 boat lengths. In a Match race it is not easy getting that kind of separation from your competitor.  If you are the windward boat, and you are both on starboard, you take the opposition to the boundary and you tack to put yourself in the leebow position to force the opposition to either tack away, or bear away to attempt speed and clear air.

This is a VERY simplistic explanation. So I expect all the know-it-alls to add all the other possibilities.

Fire away

The prestarts are so predictable and boring now. NZ has the faster boat. I suggest this. If NZ is the starboard entry boat, do not gybe after entering the box. Continue on for the coffin corner side of the box. Jimmy is predictable. It will be his curve ball. NZ time a port tack start at pin. If Italy dial you down just dip to 90. After passing, NZ just go for a free lane to the right. No entanglement with a high mode ITA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Whoever wins two Races today will win the Match I think? If they square again then there could be another Delay in the cards. Conditions don't look good for tomorrow per Iain Murray.

I think there is bound to be a day when one of the teams wins two races. The statistical probability of a series of 1:1 results until 6 all is very low, even if the teams are evenly matched.

Which means if one team wins two races today, we have to be careful of drawing conclusions.

Jimmy pointed this out at the last press conference when a journalist suggested that 2 perfect starts on the next day of racing would likely win the series. Jimmy responded "not according to my math".   He is right of course and that will be the mental strength of both these teams.  They are racing each race on a path to accumulate 4 more victories, not 2. 

It could be 0 today, 1 tomorrow , 2 the following day , and 1 on the day after that.

I dont know if Jimmy is the best sailor on the water BUT he does have superb mental preparation.  He has firmly said LR is the underdog, because TNZ is on home turf,,,,,,because he wants his team to fight for every meter like an underdog and he knows that fans love an underdog. He doesnt want to win 2 races in a day, he wants to win 4 races before the other guy.

I am supporting TNZ but I grudgingly admire Jimmy Spithill  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jh121 said:

The prestarts are so predictable and boring now. NZ has the faster boat. I suggest this. If NZ is the starboard entry boat, do not gybe after entering the box. Continue on for the coffin corner side of the box. Jimmy is predictable. It will be his curve ball. NZ time a port tack start at pin. If Italy dial you down just dip to 90. After passing, NZ just go for a free lane to the right. No entanglement with a high mode ITA.

A high risk strategy. Remember this is a match race LR don't have to start when the gun goes. They can hold TNZ below the port layline until they are ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jh121 said:

The prestarts are so predictable and boring now. NZ has the faster boat. I suggest this. If NZ is the starboard entry boat, do not gybe after entering the box. Continue on for the coffin corner side of the box. Jimmy is predictable. It will be his curve ball. NZ time a port tack start at pin. If Italy dial you down just dip to 90. After passing, NZ just go for a free lane to the right. No entanglement with a high mode ITA.

LR will continue to dial down as TNZ dials down, forcing TNZ to gybe onto starboard or come out low and slow on port. LR heads up, starts and covers ETZ for the rest of the race.

I would like to see someone go for the hook.  I dont see why that wont work in these boats. Luff the windward boat until it falls off its foils or tacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites