AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

4 hours ago, strider470 said:

We shoud have an app that wake us up only in case of actual race starting :D

Give us your number strider and we can all give you a call to get you up :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

Just now, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Agree to disagree. I think it was the wrong call. *Especially* since LR wasn't laying the start and HAD to turn up to lay the mark.  Starboard boat, inhibited in its ability to lay the mark, because a port tack boat was in the way. That's a penalty in my book. 

Yup but the judges dont have your book. They have World Sailing RRS book and have to go by that.

FWIW, LR was not inhibited in its ability to lay the mark because they complied with RRS, cleared Ineos and laid the mark.  But more importantly, there is no such rule about being inhibited in their ability to comply with rules 12 or 16 due to a starting mark. 

Agree to disagree.

8 minutes ago, Regular Swimmer said:

I just can't see standard strategy playing out at 100 knots approach speed.  LR's timing would have to be impeccable.

Yes, you are probably right.  But I still dont fancy a port tack start across bow of a foiling 75 foot monohull. 

10 minutes ago, toad said:

breeze is building now :) 

Are you out on the course.

PredictWind only saying nine knots which is pretty painful with the boats tiptoeing around through manoeuvres to avoid the deadly fall off the foils.

3 hours ago, The Advocate said:

I went back and checked the vid I was referring to as having unaccredited  material and see there was an onscreen credit.

I apologise to Mozzie for my comments regarding not giving credits. Not a fan of how it was done, but it was done.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:17 PM, Mozzy Sails said:

I don't have monetisation on my videos,

9 minutes ago, jh121 said:

ITA can hold NZ if they are on the same tack. But they will be on opposite tacks in this case. They will pass each other at speed. NZ only have to dip to 90 to true when hunted, no gybe needed

That is assuming LR does not come after TNZ when they see TNZ heading into coffin corner.

8 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Are you out on the course.

PredictWind only saying nine knots which is pretty painful with the boats tiptoeing around through manoeuvres to avoid the deadly fall off the foils.

Hope it’s better than 9 knots, I don’t want boats coming off the foils deciding races. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Jimmy would be like a rabid dog...

If there's one thing JS is not, it's a rabid dog.  If it's not already in his play book he won't have an answer.  It will be in his playbook, for sure - but I'd back PB in this kind of seat-of-the-pants, split-second game of chicken.

6 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Any thoughts on why Ian Murray chose Course E?

“It was a close call between courses A and E but there are signs of a stronger breeze down there (on E) and less chance of that fading later in the day.” I. Murray

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Regular Swimmer said:

If there's one thing JS is not, it's a rabid dog.  If it's not already in his play book he won't have an answer.  It will be in his playbook, for sure - but I'd back PB in this kind of seat-of-the-pants, split-second game of chicken.

And what happens when LR goes back onto port and Jimmy's no longer driving?  This is the kind of pressure that PB should be putting on LR's twin helm.

• Like 1

stuff all wind on the course at the moment and predict Wind has a forecast of NE 8 knots increasing to 10. So I suspect we will see racing and some hard fought starts. Hope they both get off the line at the same time and at full speed so we can see who get's the cross?

7 minutes ago, Regular Swimmer said:

So far it's been impossible to predict anything let alone who would win in a game of chicken.! LOL 

chicken-2.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, weta27 said:

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation.

I am more than happy to contribute any pics that might help his efforts to add to the technical conversation about these amazing machines, and very appreciative that he asked.

Like RG, Mozzy puts his neck out and puts many hours into his YouTube channel and contributions to this forum.

He adds far more to this place than do the serial sideline critics and grumpy fucks.

Keep up the great work Mozzy!

giphy.gif

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

So far it's been impossible to predict anything let alone who would win in a game of chicken.! LOL 

chicken-2.jpg

Motivation would be the deciding factor for these two Type As, I'd imagine.  Both boats get written off at 3:3 and the cup stays in NZ ^_^

7 minutes ago, Regular Swimmer said:

Motivation would be the deciding factor for these two Type As, I'd imagine.  Both boats get written off at 3:3 and the cup stays in NZ ^_^

Jimmy and Pete are nothing alike. Who do you think is the Type A? 

Type A personality is characterized by a constant feeling of working against the clock and a strong sense of competitiveness. Individuals with a Type A personality generally experience a higher stress level, hate failure and find it difficult to stop working, even when they have achieved their goals.

57 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Agree to disagree. I think it was the wrong call. *Especially* since LR wasn't laying the start and HAD to turn up to lay the mark.  Starboard boat, inhibited in its ability to lay the mark, because a port tack boat was in the way. That's a penalty in my book. 

Luckily, your book isn't the rule book. That incident was called 100% to how the RRS are written. Here is a similar case, where port was crossing starboard, and starboard changed course to try and "hunt", but port couldn't avoid by the time starboard started the hunt: https://www.racingrulesofsailing.org/cases/1359

IMG_1534.thumb.JPG.1f06431b29707a4c3abf1f6ac72b8331.JPG

7 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

Well I've only Visited New Zealand once, Feb 2003, I didn't go there to watch Rugby, Cricket or go outbacking. I flew to the other side of the globe to watch TNZ fight Alinghi for a useless, yet priceless trophy, bought by the Queen of Great Britain for 100 Guineas 170 years ago. And whilst there I met many others from all over the globe who were doing exactly the same. 

Now I know that Covid has had it's effect, as it has all over the world. But 2003, that was a once in a life trip for me, bucket list if you like, but I spent a lot of money whilst there. Don't you want New Zealand to make that money again? From people on that once in a lifetime trip, Regular visitors don't spend big bucks, like first timers do. 

If you can't make money from the America's Cup .......

So true Laser. I read somewhere (many years ago) that the 1st defence added $4Bn to the NZL economy. That is exactly why the city and country governments support ETNZ.

4Bn @ 10% tax, no lets make it 5% =  200m in tax from businesses and individuals. That is a pretty good ROI in anybody's books

Slight correction though. The One Hundred POUND Cup was bought from Garrards (often called the Queen's jewellers) and was owned by the Royal Yacht Squadron. Even the wikipedia entry erroneously calls it the One Hundred Guinea Cup and suggests pounds and guineas were the same. A Guinea was actually One Pound One Shilling (1.05 Pounds)

The story i heard was that when it got to America someone thought they were the same and it has been miscalled all over the place since.

I wonder how many billions have been spent trying to win a trophy valued at 100 Pounds (when purchased) since.

Many trophies from that era were grand and expensive. The Shanghai Cup cost $433 (in 1876) although I am not sure of the currency or value of those $433. It is now one of the premier trophies of the Cardiff Bay Yacht Club in Wales.

SYC History from 1873 - 04.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Except we've seen this one time...  and they didn't get a penalty because of the ridiculous interpretation of the change of course rule.  It's basically impossible to force a penalty with this rule set and precision.  I say go for it

Not a ridiculous interpretation at all but an accurate application. Rule 16 is quite clear. A give way boat has to be given room to keep clear when the right of way boat alters course. The word "shall" in the rule makes that abundantly clear. When 2 umpires are in an umpire boat they 'talk' their boat. If the give way boat is changing course THAT umpire will be saying "altering, altering". Until he changes to "holding, holding" the flag will always be green. Usually the umpire will be watching the helm as much as the actual course Only difference in the current AC is the umpires are sitting in a booth with 2cm accurate GPS in front of them.

Try searching youtube, Ken Read goes through this with ChUmp Richard Slater in significant detail. 

Not getting at you, just trying to help you understand the rule.

18 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Jimmy and Pete are nothing alike. Who do you think is the Type A? 

Type A personality is characterized by a constant feeling of working against the clock and a strong sense of competitiveness. Individuals with a Type A personality generally experience a higher stress level, hate failure and find it difficult to stop working, even when they have achieved their goals.

Both.  When there are only two types these boys can still be "nothing alike" and still fit in the same box :P

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Regular Swimmer said:

And what happens when LR goes back onto port and Jimmy's no longer driving?  This is the kind of pressure that PB should be putting on LR's twin helm.

This

10 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Not a ridiculous interpretation at all but an accurate application. Rule 16 is quite clear. A give way boat has to be given room to keep clear when the right of way boat alters course. The word "shall" in the rule makes that abundantly clear. When 2 umpires are in an umpire boat they 'talk' their boat. If the give way boat is changing course THAT umpire will be saying "altering, altering". Until he changes to "holding, holding" the flag will always be green. Usually the umpire will be watching the helm as much as the actual course Only difference in the current AC is the umpires are sitting in a booth with 2cm accurate GPS in front of them.

Try searching youtube, Ken Read goes through this with ChUmp Richard Slater in significant detail. 

Not getting at you, just trying to help you understand the rule.

I understand the rules very well. I've stated my arguements elsewhere. Yes, it was the right call given the RRS and the technology.  My point is that it is a broken rules system. That needs to be a penalty. The rules need to be fixed. 

However it goes today I just pray that Ken Read will not keep wittering away during the race. 90% of the time we just need the feed from the boats with the occasional observation from.the helicopter and the camera boat on the wind conditions. 

Please Ken, just bottle it up if you have nothing new or interesting to add.

• Like 1

Anyone got a local wind update or out on the gulf already?  According to the free sites and Pine Harbour webcam it looks like it will still be pretty light out there at 4pm?

3 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

Anyone got a local wind update or out on the gulf already?  According to the free sites and Pine Harbour webcam it looks like it will still be pretty light out there at 4pm?

I am a bit confused. Report up the thread of 14 knots at Bean Rock (which I think is under North Head?). 

But on the course above comment says no wind. 

Updates please if anyone is on or near the course.

32 minutes ago, Regular Swimmer said:

Both.  When there are only two types these boys can still be "nothing alike" and still fit in the same box :P

I doubt Burling is a Type A 

12 minutes ago, dalenz said:

These are shore based weather stations and will give some idea of conditions. Note they are usually at peoples homes and may or may not be calibrated, accurate or even have wind sensors.

link:https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?lat=-36.87&lon=174.78

image.png.1b20eb2e160166e8c4736a8b5671a451.png

They are all around 2 to 5 knots around the north shore

Latest from AC 36 web site...

“I am expecting to set the course up on 025 degrees but I wouldn’t be surprised if the direction moved around further to the left through the day,” said regatta director Iain Murray. So, when it comes to pressure, there’s plenty of it today as Emirates Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli head back out onto the race course which today will be area E, better known locally as the ‘back paddock’.

Right.... time for admin and a fresh pot of coffee..... looks promising for a start at least.... may well see some passing lanes out back today......

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Bean Rock peak 15, average 13 @ 54 degrees

Bean rock is down wind on the inner harbour, not a true indication what out the back of Brown's Island iirc......

14 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Nice put down Jaysper - 2 inch? that's generous

He's talking about himself - that's why he goes for Vietnamese mail-order brides:blink:

Just now, Indio said:

He's talking about himself - that's why he goes for Vietnamese mail-order brides:blink:

Indio - you owe me a key board...... just dumped a mouthful of coffee over the damned thing.... too early over here for this mate.... :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Piet56 said:

Indio - you owe me a key board...... just dumped a mouthful of coffee over the damned thing.... too early over here for this mate.... :lol:

Good but if you read Indio on a regular basis here you'll see it's about the 20th time he repeats the same joke.

39 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

We definitely need the seabreeze to kick in to get a proper race.

Come on sunshine!

We got both a nice sunny hot day with breeze- what could possibly go wrong?:D

1 minute ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Je vais bien, toi?

Comment y arriver Mon pot .... Comment y arriver .... commencer à surmonter ces 3 heures du matin. start; s, comme être de retour à Orange .....

9 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

Comment y arriver Mon pot .... Comment y arriver .... commencer à surmonter ces 3 heures du matin. start; s, comme être de retour à Orange .....

REP aimait marcher avec un équipement complet à cette heure, monter la colline, gogogo. Descendez la colline, gogogo.Je suis vieux et fatigué mais profitez de la coupe alors abandonnez un peu de sommeil.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

REP aimait marcher avec un équipement complet à cette heure, monter la colline, gogogo. Descendez la colline, gogogo.Je suis vieux et fatigué mais profitez de la coupe alors abandonnez un peu de sommeil.

C'est du verite ca!.... 4eme Escadron au REC, cettait tous le fous du 2eme compagnie REP (Crosby / Danac et al) du bonne temps J.P

1 hour ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

I understand the rules very well. I've stated my arguements elsewhere. Yes, it was the right call given the RRS and the technology.  My point is that it is a broken rules system. That needs to be a penalty. The rules need to be fixed. 

Nothing wrong with the rules at all. If someone is trying to legally keep out of your way it is grossly unfair to prevent them from doing so. LRPP put themselves there well aware of the rules which applied. INEOS simply out-played them.

Please explain how you would apply your 'amended' version?

2 hours ago, Regular Swimmer said:

You probably think the other helmsman is Donald Duck.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I feel for Burling and Spithill as for one of them it will be tremendous pain when this is over..!

For the loser, the "pain" will last long enough until the final cheque clears, then they'll just move on to the next gig.