AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Wild Things said:

I think we're all making a bit too much out of the observed speed difference right now. It was a few meters of headsail choice away from being another masterclass in match racing control by JS.

Every race has been a few metres of something that made the difference. Unfortunately for the Italians, it was a few knots of boat speed from Te Rehutai.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

and just what would happen if the breeze really pipes up?

From the spectator fleet fleet on the start line - 15-18 deg swings ( a mate is out there).... pressure pretty steady & they are out of booze already!

5 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

It's just a flesh wound.... come back & I'll bite your knee caps off (Apologies to Monty Python.....

you mean;

Jimmy: 'Tis but a scratch'.

Pete: A SCRATCH? Your arm's off!

Jimmy: No it isn't!

Pete: Well what's that then? (pointing to the arm lying on the ground)

Jimmy: I've had worse.

Pete: You LIAR!

Jimmy: Come on, you pansy!

• Like 2
Just now, Piet56 said:

From the spectator fleet fleet on the start line - 15-18 deg swings ( a mate is out there).... pressure pretty steady & they are out of booze already!

Those women can drink like fish

21 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Will be interesting to see if still faster once LR change their jib. Fingers crossed.

Is the difference between a J1 and J2 a minute. I guess we will find out 

Just now, toad said:

you mean;

Jimmy: 'Tis but a scratch'.

Pete: A SCRATCH? Your arm's off!

Jimmy: No it isn't!

Pete: Well what's that then? (pointing to the arm lying on the ground)

Jimmy: I've had worse.

Pete: You LIAR!

Jimmy: Come on, you pansy!

ROTFLMAO - Nice one Toad

6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Yes, but the question is would we have passed if they hadn't?

If we managed a split and were in phase, yes.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Every race has been a few metres of something that made the difference. Unfortunately for the Italians, it was a few knots of boat speed from Te Rehutai.

Yes, which was apparent because of the difference in jib choice. Easily remedied by LR.

6 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

It felt like we had their measure....kept it really close all the way up the 1st leg.....ETNZ was fast, regardless of if LR let us has clean air....2knts faster upwind and downwind!

I hope you are right, but between the larger jib and taking the foot of ETNZs throat, I can't help think that despite The Rehutai appearing to be the faster boat in these winds that without those mistakes they wouldn't have passed.

Fingers and toes crossed for the next race.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, NZL4EVER said:

Straight line speed fast but so is vmg like a different boat

NZ foil optimisation for mid range clearly better in today's conditions.  And prolly when wind gets stronger too!

5 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Is the difference between a J1 and J2 a minute. I guess we will find out 

No, I think TR is faster in this breeze. I'm just not sure without the jib choice and mistake that they could have passed.

Maybe the jib choice was half that distance and speed is the rest?

5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I still don't like the bigger LR jib.

Presumably they're taking it down strider. They have bigger foils so shouldn't need it 

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

I still don't like the bigger LR jib.

I think you have every right to not like it. Next race will be more interesting when I’m assuming they will be both in J2 jibs unless the wind changes 

Whoops. Fucked that up completely. LRPP won the start and we belly flopped.

Nice work LRPP.

• Like 1

The Kiwi fans will have the flensing blades out now

looks like ETNZ gyb'd into less pressure then got gassed by Prada's wind shadow.... resulting in  ETNZ giving the race to Italy......

Cannot see a way back from this one.......

Well if Prada gets wet it could even up, I got here late what’s the talk on Prada jib ?

• Like 1

It seems like dirty air is something that isn't super well understood at these speeds yet... Like Nathan just mentioned that ETNZ gybed through both their own bad air and also LR's bad air.

Seems like these teams (especially ETNZ) haven't really factored that in enough to their maneuvers. What do you guys think

1 minute ago, arr4ws said:

TR was about to roll over them , with the boundary why didnt they just kept going?

I am guessing they didn't realize how much pace they had on them, and look for breeze. Huge mistake

Just now, jsn7821 said:

I am guessing they didn't realize how much pace they had on them, and look for breeze. Huge mistake

with the boundary they could even push LRPP away... ffs.