AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

So unlucky for LR. I felt they kind of forced TR to drop off the foils. There was no way to pass at that point, Pete got greedy and jibed. It would not have been easy on the winward side in bad air and LR free to luff them off the foils.

LR didn't really deserve the wind they got for the rest of the race. First light enough to drop them off the foils and then windy enough that TR had no troubles staying up.

What wind speed is needed to get up and what is needed to tack? I guess there is a 1-2 kn hysteresis.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, kenergy said:

I've been out a few times now, and the fuckwits who turn up late and squeeze into spots they cant fit into should be sunk. 

Its bloody entertaining watching landlubbers trying to anchor their boats...I watched one guy try about 20 times...I doubt any of his chain was even touching the seabed

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jaysper said:

Going for the penalty seems like high risk low reward based on what we've seen so far.

Knocking off foils might be a goer.

I agree - penalty attempts haven't been too successful for JS so far.

1 minute ago, 36thLatitude said:

Its bloody entertaining watching landlubbers trying to anchor their boats...I watched one guy try about 20 times...I doubt any of his chain was even touching the seabed

Money doesn't make you a boater that's for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Joakim said:

LR didn't really deserve the wind they got for the rest of the race. First light enough to drop them off the foils and then windy enough that TR had no troubles staying up.

Well, my heart agrees, but a thing such as "the wind you deserve" simply doesn't exist. You have to deal with the wind you have, or you don't have, in this case.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Regular Swimmer said:

Geez, I wish you guys would stop banging on about what a start box genius JS is.  These are the facts:

The boat with the big foils is easier to manouver and has won 5 of 8 starts.  The boat with the small foils is faster and has won 5 of 8 races.

A bit like driving for show and putting for dough on a golf course

I am ashamed to relate that when NZ were 2000m behind I flipped the switch and went to do something else, disgusted with the AC.

Hours later I could not believe it when I saw the points score.  Went a watched the replay.

Still something wrong with the formula.

1 minute ago, eurochild said:

NZ went through 6.0TWS just before top gate 3rd mark. I suppose it's a big boat but I'm a bit surprised they dared to walk across the deck...

They've been sailing a lot in very light winds, unfortunately it seems the lack of another boats wash makes some of that practice obsolete. 

Makes you wonder what a CZ would have looked like today. 

1 minute ago, rantro said:

I am ashamed to relate that when NZ were 2000m behind I flipped the switch and went to do something else, disgusted with the AC.

Hours later I could not believe it when I saw the points score.  Went a watched the replay.

Still something wrong with the formula.

Jesus, you cant spend 30 mins of your day to keep an eye on this? 

Which brings me to today. Here is a bit of a stream of consciousness, and some walkaround videos I decide to film to give those that can't be here, a small sample of what it's like. Apologies for shaky potato-cam :-(

Managed to knock off early to head down the Viaduct at 4. Dead easy parking at Downtown, and quick skip across the walkway down into the Village. Scanned COVID-QR and wandered over towards ETNZ.

Sunny, balmy, enough of a late arvo breeze to keep racing likely. All the bars and areas were as busy as you'd expect for a weekday afternoon. Amazing amount of ETNZ shirts and NZ flags - they've certainly been successful at shifting fan gear for one team at least!

Good bar area (Mumm sponsored) overlooking the big-screen arena space, but had queues so continued down over the Viaduct bridge beyond ETNZ base towards Good George (which was fullish) and then onto the Wynard Pavilion, which touts itself as the official bar, and is really just a large generic watering hole. Got a table inside with a great view of the match TVs, but discovered even more empty tables out overlooking the water so found ourselves out there to enjoy some jugs of Catalina and the two matches.

The energy on the Viaduct was great, everyone was having a great time, kids, Italians, dogs, Brits, Kiwis, you name it. It was a moment to savour just how lucky we are here, and a great payoff for the sacrifices made in Aotearoa to keep Covid under control.

The races speak for themselves, and you can imagine the rollercoaster ride of screaming in agony and ecstacy over those few hours. I must admit that much of the population blindely cheered at each start, as if ETNZ was somehow crushing it, when in reality for the first at least, they had LR on their hip and there was nothing to cheer about.

Here is a sample of the famous comeback moment.

By the end, the dusk was cutting low over the sun baked bars, and for many the beers and bubbles had been ample refuge and reward for a dramatic day. The bars emptied out pretty quick, and it felt like only a few minutes walk back towards ETNZ before the boats starting coming in. Impressively quick return speed!

And here they come. Was shocked to hear @Stingray~ lose control at about 3:00 and shout his name in support for ETNZ!!!

It was great to see both teams have supporters en masse welcoming them back. I can't wait for tomorrow, I think I'll head back to the bar and repeat again!

• Like 8
1 minute ago, kenergy said:

Jesus, you cant spend 30 mins of your day to keep an eye on this? 

I don't have 30 mins for a bullshit race, no.

Something has to change with the rules when the wind drops to levels that cannot sustain foiling.

1 minute ago, rantro said:

Something has to change with the rules when the wind drops to levels that cannot sustain foiling.

you betcha, even a 5 dimensional durry wont make foiling boats fly in 5 kts

19 minutes ago, Joakim said:

So unlucky for LR. I felt they kind of forced TR to drop off the foils. There was no way to pass at that point, Pete got greedy and jibed. It would not have been easy on the winward side in bad air and LR free to luff them off the foils.

What wind speed is needed to get up and what is needed to tack? I guess there is a 1-2 kn hysteresis.

Shit happens :(

From what I got from the press conference is that the Kiwis are changing their sails, by using a bigger main and a smaller jib. The tacking advantage LR has seemed to have gone.

10 minutes ago, rantro said:

Fuck me, today had all the drama you could wish for, I guess you're dreaming of going back to the processions we saw at the start of the match. Obviously the winds were enough to sustain foiling,  there wasnt a second when both boats were off foils at the same time. 

1 minute ago, kenergy said:

Fuck me, today had all the drama you could wish for, I guess you're dreaming of going back to the processions we saw at the start of the match. Obviously the winds were enough to sustain foiling,  there wasnt a second when both boats were off foils at the same time. 

Totally agree, LR lost the second race with a mistake.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, kenergy said:

They've been sailing a lot in very light winds, unfortunately it seems the lack of another boats wash makes some of that practice obsolete. 

Makes you wonder what a CZ would have looked like today. 

I believe Blair said in the presser that Te Rehutai was sailing with a Code 3 in the second race but the 1.5 would have been better in hindsight. Can’t see a need to for a zero based on that. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

ETNZ also made a mistake to fall off the foils in the first place, so if they had lost, that would have been the reason too. 

Just now, kenergy said:

ETNZ also made a mistake to fall off the foils in the first place, so if they had lost, that would have been the reason too. 

Yep, but in my opinion if it was the other way(if LR dumped it first) around im not sure we would have given them the same opportunity 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, rantro said:

How long have you been watching the cup for? Just this round. The last couple. Every cup has races where a boat far behind comes back and wins. 
That’s exactly how Australia won it in ‘83. Dennis rounded the very last top mark fucking miles in front. Oz won. It happens. 
That race today was captivating.  
If all you wanna do is bitch about boats falling of foils then don’t watch. 

There was plenty of race course left to make that race a real contest right to the last tack upwind. 

others calling it a lottery are doing a disservice to both team for the skill required to stay foiling in such light breeze. 

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

Did they? Hard to judge. Are there any wind data available? How much wind they had when they dropped off? How much wind there was when TR rounded the mark. TR was 2000 m behind when LR dropped so in totally different wind.

But it's clear that TR did not drop off the foils due to too low wind. It was either their mistake or forced by LR.

1 minute ago, JJD said:

How long have you been watching the cup for? Just this round.

I watched the 83 race live on TV, and all those since.

1 minute ago, Joakim said:

Did they? Hard to judge. Are there any wind data available? How much wind they had when they dropped off? How much wind there was when TR rounded the mark. TR was 2000 m behind when LR dropped so in totally different wind.

But it's clear that TR did not drop off the foils due to too low wind. It was either their mistake or forced by LR.

According to their skipper the fucked up the tack

Distracted by the on-water drama, we may have missed the off-water moves!

https://docs.google.com/a/acofficials.org/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=YWNvZmZpY2lhbHMub3JnfGFjMzYtb2ZmaWNpYWwtbm90aWNlYm9hcmR8Z3g6NjFmZWRiNDgxMGVhYzllYQ

Basically LR wanting access to TV Control Rooms and to put an observer onboard Ian Murray's boat to keep him honest about wind limits. Talk about counter-productive! Ian Murray is the last person you want to try and remind pf the AC33 race control boat shenanigans!

LR might have screwed the pooch with the officials over this one.

3 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Watch the presser. Blair said they gybed in a lull and through LR gas. Would have been ok with either but both was their mistake. 

Francisco said the tack was marginal but possible if they executed perfectly, but they made a few mistakes in the tack. 

3 minutes ago, JJD said:

others calling it a lottery a doing a disservice to the skill required to stay fouling in such light breeze. 

It's not lottery but bad luck. Only option for TR to win was for LR to drop and not get up within three minutes or so. And they got the very light wind needed for that.

It remains to be seen which boat is able to stay up better in light. Now they didn't sail in at all in the same wind.

4 hours ago, strider470 said:

Not the luckiest pick at the lottery for LR. Che sfiga ragazzi. Shit happens. See you tomorrow guys. Go Luna. Never say never!

I like ETNZ winning. But that was a bit of a lottery. Exciting, terrifying, disappointing and unbelievable all in one race.

Sorry that time didn't run out, as that would've been the best result I think.

• Like 3
Just now, Nutta said:

I like ETNZ winning. But that was a bit of a lottery. Exciting, terrifying, disappointing and unbelievable all in one race.

Like it ran out 4 ETNZ in San Diego...when we led by a country mile on match point.

8 minutes ago, Joakim said:

It appeared quite clear that a) LR did not force an error on TR and b) it looked very much like LR fluffed a tack. It as just that the LR mistake was more costly.

These boats shave very sensitive and accurate anemometers on board so they know just what the TWS is millisecond by millisecond - no excuses. 

Just listening to the press conference, I noticed Bruni saying they made a couple of minor mistakes in that tack where they fell off the foils. While that may sound depressing for the team, it may actually be better than just accepting the fatality and randomness of the wind gods.

Making mistakes means you can learn from it and come out better and stronger next time round. So today might not be as damaging for LR's team morale as perhaps some of us might think.

Generally I think it's beginning to become clear that TR is a faster boat than LR, maybe MUCH faster. Every time they get in front, the basically stretch away significantly.

It's a great testament to team LR that they are managing to keep it as close as it has been to date

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

It appeared quite clear that a) LR did not force an error on TR

Could you elaborate on that. LR did luff them and there were two options. To do a quick jibe while there still was room to go behind or be stuck. They were forced to make a choice and both options had the risk of getting off the foils.

10 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

https://docs.google.com/a/acofficials.org/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=YWNvZmZpY2lhbHMub3JnfGFjMzYtb2ZmaWNpYWwtbm90aWNlYm9hcmR8Z3g6NjFmZWRiNDgxMGVhYzllYQ

Basically LR wanting access to TV Control Rooms and to put an observer onboard Ian Murray's boat to keep him honest about wind limits. Talk about counter-productive! Ian Murray is the last person you want to try and remind pf the AC33 race control boat shenanigans!

Another CoR attempt to change the rules/status quo - I agree rh3000, questioning the ethics of Iain Murray or suggesting bias in coverage is a real 'spit the dummy' move and unlikely to win them any friends anywhere, never mind amongst the organisers.

Somewhat reminiscent of the Qingdao Olympic Regatta (2008) when after a capsize which irreparably damaged their boat just before the Medal Race the Dames were lent another boat by the Croatian team and went on to win gold. The Italians (that's the Olympic Committee not the sailors) complained to CAS. In the meantime the Croatians were awarded the Olympics' highest honour, the Pierre de Coubertin Medal

16 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

Like it ran out 4 ETNZ in San Diego...when we led by a country mile on match point.

True. Still, it just didn't sit quite right. But it's in the books...

24 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

According to their skipper the fucked up the tack

Sure you listened carefully to the end? They fucked up the tack mainly because there was a drop of the wind and the manouver become extremely critical. But we will see better when the wind and boatspeed data analysis will be published, very soon. Not that this changes anything, but it is useful to understand, also for the teams.

9 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

On 1/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, Mozzy Sails said:
I don't have monetisation on my videos,

And on the 16th of January my videos weren't monetised. 

If you'd asked me in 2003 if I'd ever been to Portsmouth I'd have said no. Does that make me a liar in 2021?

You accuse me of plagiarising forum members and the truth is I asked permission and gave credit as requested by the persons involved.

You accuse me of not posting and just lurking. Again, not true, I've posted here more in the last two months than ever. 

You accuse me of passing off original content in here as my own, again not true. I never passed anything off as my own that wasn't. I show things that's have been created and put online here, but my views on what they show and what they mean are my own. 

"He said he wasn't doing it for money - he is......That makes him a liar, thief, and a fraud in my book.

I actually never said that. Does that make you a liar? Will you apologize? Don't worry, I  don't care what I am listed under in your book. 

It also happens to be true, I could have made more money doing the same hours with a paper round. Plus I have an extensive wardrobe collection of crappy jumpers to offset the cost of. 

• Like 12
6 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Could you elaborate on that. LR did luff them and there were two options. To do a quick jibe while there still was room to go behind or be stuck. They were forced to make a choice and both options had the risk of getting off the foils.

Really? LR luffed them? Not according to Virtual Eye where the blue dots of LR show them bearing away if anything. That's how Virtual Eye works isn't it?. 

I only think they came up on LR unexpectedly fast, are you suggesting LR slowed down to trap them? I think not.

ETNZ gybed into the disturbed air of LR.

BTW the live action confirms LR bearing away, not luffing, not unless the blue dots are wrong there too. 2cm accuracy I understand.

21 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Mate, thanks for your message of extreme sportmanship, but you lost an America's Cup for something like that, and it wouldn't have been fair. I felt for the Kiwis at the time, since I was supporting ETNZ. This is sailing, and wind drops can happen. Not anybody fault. It is what it is! It will be bettter tomorrow. Luck comes and goes. Go Luna!!!!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

If you'd asked me in 2003 if I'd ever been to Portsmouth I'd have said no. Does that make me a liar in 2021?

You accuse me of plagiarising forum members and the truth is I asked permission and gave credit as requested by the persons involved.

You accuse me of not posting and just lurking. Again, not true, I've posted here more in the last two months than ever. 

You accuse me of passing off original content in here as my own, again not true. I never passed anything off as my own that wasn't. I show things that's have been created and put online here, but my views on what they show and what they mean are my own. 

I actually never said that. Does that make you a liar? Will you apologize? Don't worry about, I  don't care what I am listed under in your book. 

It also happens to be true, I could have made more money doing the same hours with a paper round. Plus I have an extensive wardrobe collection of crappy jumpers to offset the cost of. 

Mozzy, you don't need to reply to this sort of nonsense, but you do need to give us an update video ASAP. Keep them coming and thanks so much. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I actually never said that. Does that make you a liar? Will you apologize? Don't worry about, I  don't care what I am listed under in your book. 

Mozzy keep up the good work. I for one think your work is good and immensely enjoy the insights put on video. 

• Like 2

I just hope LR comes back to 5-5 tomorrow and we see good racing. This day really hurt. I was all for NZ in 2013 and that hurt me a lot as well. Back then I didn't really like Jimmy. Actually I think this is the first AC I don't like NZ to win. Nothing against NZ, just feel it's time for Italy to win.

For some reason I don't understand Dean seems to be hated here. I really liked him then and still do. Now I cheer for LR and have grown to somewhat like Jimmy. Although I would have preferred an all Italian helmsman pair or only Francesco. Not that Jimmy wouldn't be great, but I know there's a lot of talent in Italy and Jimmy seems to get a bigger attention than he maybe deserves. It seems to me that most of the tactics are done by Francesco and Pietro.

Now Jimmy really needs to keep winning the starts like he did today. I don't see LR passing after loosing a start and TR can maybe pass again. Today TR had maybe a bit of luck in the first pass and a lot of luck in the second.

Should LR have beard away instead of trying a desperate leebow in the first pass? Then they might have had some luck with starboard on the next crossing?

1 minute ago, Mozzy Sails said:

As we say in NZ, no worries mate. Don't let one dickhead spoil a fun time to be a sailor. Anyone posting stuff here has put their brains. or lack thereof in the public domain, I see no problem quoting them. Congrats on having some tens of thousands following you, tall poppy syndrome it's known as here. Sponsors love people giving them positive exposure and are happy to pay for it, or they wouldnt do it. Cash in while you can, jaysus even ask for a few cents in donations, everyone else does. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I actually never said that. Does that make you a liar? Will you apologize? Don't worry, I  don't care what I am listed under in your book. 

Don't let him suck you in - he seems to get more childish pleasure from doing that than actually producing anything meaningful himself.

The ignore function can be quite useful sometimes

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Oldest trick in the book --a bit like high level football where the player pretends to be injured trying to get a penalty awarded. I was always suspect of the LR management (not the sailors)  after the ill-fated press conference they gave during the Prada Cup about the rules during the level 3 lockdown. 

7 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I copped a fair bit of flack for having a go at you Mozzy. As someone who was a content producer I take copyright very seriously, and even litigated more than once to protect my own content. That said, I unfairly maligned you, and do take it back, and sincerely, and unreservedly apologize.

• Like 18
8 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

FWIW, I don't give a shit if your vids are monetised. I think you should have them monetised and make hay while the sun shines. That is why I didn't get why he had a shot at me for my correction. I never said anything about monitisation. As far as I am concerned, YT is making a fuck ton of what creators do, FFS get your hand in that pot if you can.

@Mozzy Sails In your recent video about alternative starting strategies, your thoughts were exactly the same as mine. I arrived to your same conclusions some hours before the video (I can prove it), so I want some credit ;) :D :D

So not only you stole my ideas, but you did it reading in my mind. This is unacceptable! :D :D

Please Mozzy, don't be bothered by all this crap and keep on doing your interesting videos!

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Really? LR luffed them? Not according to Virtual Eye where the blue dots of LR show them bearing away if anything. That's how Virtual Eye works isn't it?. 

Well they didn't actually luff, but worked they way to being in a leebow position. Then they beard away with TR. Thus they gave them bad air and forced them to do something. Either keep up with the risk of being luffed or jibe. They didn't give them option to just roll or get a hook. Nor to sail their best VMG.

2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I copped a fair bit of flack for having a go at you Mozzy. As someone who was a content producer I take copyright very seriously, and even litigated more than once to protect my own content. That said, I unfairly maligned you, and do take it back, and sincerely, and unreservedly apologize.

Well said HR, we are all right on the Internet! Takes a true gentleman to apologise. Hope you got justice. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

@Mozzy Sails In your recent video about alternative starting strategies, your thoughts were exactly the same as mine. I arrived to your same conclusions some hours before the video (I can prove it), so I want some credit ;) :D :D

So not only you stole my ideas, but you did it reading in my mind. This is unacceptable! :D :D

Please Mozzy, don't be bothered by all this crap and keep on doing your interesting videos!

Dude, you jumped the english translation shark on this one.

Just now, strider470 said:

Welp he stole my whole 'port entry' wins prediction, pointed out I was wrong, and didn't credit me. Which I was very thankful for given the very next two races I was proven wrong! :D

5 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Shit, an apology.

That's not usually that SA way.

Good on ya.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Dude, you jumped the english translation shark on this one.

Oups, help needed. What did I write?

2 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Shit, an apology.

That's not usually that SA way.

Good on ya.

It has actually happened quite a bit over the years. Those side line critics and cranky old bastards might play a hard game, but the ones genuine about the sport and their ethics put their hands up when they get it wrong.

Not that you did, but that is not the time for people to take the piss. You message is on point.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Oups, help needed. What did I write?

Both HR and myself have retracted and apologised for things we said about Mozzy Sails. Even Aussies won't take the piss at that.

• Like 2

Mozzy, your vids along with the boats and foils comparison thread have contributed so much to my understanding and enjoyment of the cup, I thank you muchly.

1 minute ago, The Advocate said:

Both HR and myself have retracted and apologised for things we said about Mozzy Sails. Even Aussies won't take the piss at that.

Ahhh ok. Now I see it! Sorry mate, I missed your apologies. Intelligent people understand when they make some misdudjement.

At first, I thought I've written something particularly weird because of my poor English.

;) 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

At first, I thought I've written something particularly weird because of my poor English.

;) 

We're far to polite to mention that :)

3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Ahhh ok. Now I see it! Sorry mate, I missed your apologies. Intelligent people understand when they make some misdudjement.

;) 

All good, play on!

28 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Respect Horn Rock. I too apologise when i get it wrong.

Ignore undone and well done Sir!

Big Balls!

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Well done

• Like 1
2 hours ago, in_TO said:

I think R8 spells the end of foiling boats in the Cup. Convince me I am wrong.

No, neither team in the final would do that. They've already said so. But the wind speed minimum is too low.

I'm incredibly proud of LR, and I honestly think we still have a chance to win this.

Anyway, full credit to the Kiwis, yesterday they made less mistakes, and deserved to win the first race. The second one was a bit of a lottery. But that's ok. This is the AC, not the Grandfather Cup, after all ;) 

Forza ragazzi ! 

PS: I have to quote him: "Imagine if they lost from here"  B)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dogwatch said:

No, neither team in the final would do that. They've already said so. But the wind speed minimum is too low.

Agree. I have been running this one through my head since the race. Would they really move towards a Cup with a 10 knot window?

3 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

Agree. I have been running this one through my head since the race. Would they really move towards a Cup with a 10 knot window?

If we win, GD will want to retain current limits, or it limits design too much. In SF we were fucked by a 10kt reduction in limits. The tractor was doomed

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Sure you listened carefully to the end? They fucked up the tack mainly because there was a drop of the wind and the manouver become extremely critical. But we will see better when the wind and boatspeed data analysis will be published, very soon. Not that this changes anything, but it is useful to understand, also for the teams.

Jimmy said something about foil cavitation just b4 touchdown so not sure if wind or tacking mistake

5 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

What if the teams are required to design a boat that is somehow better than a log of wood even in displacement mode?

A race, before starting, could be declared by the race committee either foiling or not foiling based on the wind forecast, (<15 kts / > 15 kts)

In the non-foiling races, you are not allowed to fly and you can use sails like gennakers etc.

Also, the course would be changed accordingly.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

What if the teams are required to design a boat that is somehow better than a log of wood even in displacement mode?

A race, before starting, could be declared by the race committee either foiling or not foiling based on the wind forecast, (<15 kts / > 15 kts)

In the non-foiling races, you are not allowed to fly and you can use sails like gennakers etc.

Also, the course would be changed accordingly.

Difficult but doable and there is precedence I believe.

36th America’s Cup Day 5

Phew… we all wanted more drama as we moved toward this end phase of the Cup challenge - we got it in spades.
Race 7: Seems ENTZ sail plan choice for Te Rehutai paid BIGLY with the first lead change during a beat, and defo a gulp moment seeing the Kiwis average 3knts faster for the remainder of the legs.

(Ouch)

Though for sure Jimmy’s earning his fee for bossing both race starts… Quote of the day Pete Burling: “It’s definitely the more tense side of sailing”

Stressful viewing too, for any Italian sailing fans watching - no one saw a lead of that magnitude evaporating during Race 8. Fantastic dig deep from the Kiwis hauling it all back. Bravo!

Seems tomorrow is on, with light winds predicted so jib choices once more proving pivotal. No pressure then on the team weather gurus at all.

Game on.

A L E A   L A C T A   E S T

SC_MST.thumb.jpg.a95dd07cb02fcf220c95a24cffb7002e.jpg

11 minutes ago, The Advocate said:

As penance to Mozzy, I offer my girls tits in the great tradition of SA.

IMG-ed93547bb346c31c01b264e5bd5a5d1c-V.jpg

Looks like plagiarism. Are these reallly "your girls"?

• Like 2