AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Except for 1987, 1992, 2003, 2007, 2013???

These are not the years you're looking for... Move along.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Sad last leg for the Italians, with a perfect LR until that damn last wind shift gave the Kiwis the lead. Until then LR totally outsailed a faster ETNZ, pure match racing 2.0, never seen before in this class of boats. But the winner is ETNZ, so kudos to them. Match point now. Go Luna

LR did great with their tactics, until that unfortunate wind shift in leg 5. 

FB and JS better at match racing I think than PB?

• Like 1

I've got nothing.... absolutely nothing... always thought TP 52 fleet racing was the best I had ever been involved in..... absolute lead mines in comparison with this display...... Congrats to both teams & I feel for Prada, but.... yeah..... 1 to go - race start @ 45.......

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Haters gonna hate. you'll be crying into your tea for at least 3 more years!

Low blow pulling that George Gregan quote there stud??

Like I said, the game is moving on from classic match racing. The game is about boat speed and sailing the shifts.

Boat speed kept the game close and they were in a position to capitalise.

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

They were lucky in this race, square and simple.

And? LR got lucky that AM crashed their boat. Otherwise they may not even be in the match

10 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

TNZ was just lucky in this race.

Lotta luck, on the righty for sure. 

18 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Sad last leg for the Italians, with a perfect LR until that damn last wind shift gave the Kiwis the lead. Until then LR totally outsailed a faster ETNZ, pure match racing 2.0, never seen before in this class of boats. But the winner is ETNZ, so kudos to them. Match point now. Go Luna

Listen to the conversation on LR, Jimmy wanted to protect the right on that last windward leg and tack on NZ, but NZ were closing in quickly, LR were not far ahead enough to tack on them, and had to let NZ through to the right hand side of the course, game over.  Again. NZ may be lucky, but it was through their boat speed, they broke LR's cover.

• Like 7
Just now, Tornado-Cat said:

Really? Looked to me like ETNZ had a clear idea of the side they wanted and made it happen. LR had tactics, ETNZ had strategy.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Mate, you are a fucking troll.....AC is all about Luck....Kiwis could give you double digit moments where we didnt have luck, so fuck off and just say it was a great race and ETNZ got a wind shift.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

LR did great with their tactics, until that unfortunate wind shift in leg 5. 

FB and JS better at match racing I think than PB?

Shhh don’t let the truth rain on our parade

:D

• Like 2

No they weren't. The commentator in the helicopter was calling the right as favourite the whole way up that last beat. ETNZ wanted the right and kept the right. LR wanted the left. Those were their choices. No luck in there.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

And? LR got lucky that AM crashed their boat. Otherwise they may not even be in the match

I don't know, but it's true that is a pity that we never could see the real potential of AM perhaps the fastest boat of the fleet.

Yeah, but Ben would still be out.

14 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Yeah we are just consistently lucky

For some reason the more they practice the luckier they get.

Odd coincidence.

• Like 3

Let's not go so far as to put the whole thing down to luck. ETNZ have built an extremely fast boat that requires their competitor to sail perfectly to maintain a lead.

One wind shift is lucky. Being so much faster that your opponents can't miss a single shift isn't luck.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Indio said:

Bruni sounds resigned to the inevitable.

Hold up your hands for how many of us have been tube'd by a last minute wind change that took us from Hero to Zero's..... That's why they call it Sailing because "Crap shoot" was already taken some days

• Like 4
1 minute ago, amc said:

Well Pete said yesterday better to be lucky than good so as long as they continue to get lucky that is good 

The good sailors are the lucky sailors. The lucky sailors are the good sailors.

• Like 1
Just now, Piet56 said:

Hold up your hands for how many of us have been tube'd by a last minute wind change that took us from Hero to Zero's..... That's why they call it Sailing because "Crap shoot" was already taken some days

This. Been on both ends of that!

OK, LRPP. Here's your chance to destroy my prediction of a 7 : 3 win to ETNZ.

Watcha got, boys?

Let's go.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I don't know, but it's true that is a pity that we never could see the real potential of AM perhaps the fastest boat of the fleet.

Oh Jog on buddy

One boat is the fastest and its going to win the cup stop with the salty comments.

You are embrrassing yourself now

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Really? Looked to me like ETNZ had a clear idea of the side they wanted and made it happen. LR had tactics, ETNZ had strategy.

and speed

1 minute ago, idontwan2know said:

Let's not go so far as to put the whole thing down to luck. ETNZ have built an extremely fast boat that requires their competitor to sail perfectly to maintain a lead.

One wind shift is lucky. Being so much faster that your opponents can't miss a single shift isn't luck.

Thats called "a real bitch" 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SimonN said:

No they weren't. The commentator in the helicopter was calling the right as favourite the whole way up that last beat. ETNZ wanted the right and kept the right. LR wanted the left. Those were their choices. No luck in there.

You don't know, the were calling the left a few seconds before.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

What was it Gary Player famously said?

The more I practise the luckier I get...

• Like 1

LR is being sailed extremely well and at this level its tiny edges, ET have a speed edge so all else being equal you have to sail your boat to the maximum at all times to beat them. Lets put it this way if team LR had the NZ boat who would win?

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

and speed

Yeah. I think Francesco and Jimmy did an amazing job to hold off Etnz as long as they did in ETNZs supposedly preferred wind range.

That bottom mark rounding to push ETNZ right the fuck away from the mark was epic!

I thought that was the race winning move right there.

• Like 6

LR has been in a controlling position in the last 3 races. They could have won any of them..... but for little mistakes and/or wind god random things...

BUT even with a slightly faster boat, ETNZ still have had to be sailed well to be in a position to take those opportunities/luck.

Awesome contest!

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, sfigone said:

Awesome sailing almost beat a faster boat!

Start on target

can't hold them

stay on target

boom!

Yeah hard to keep a boat that's so much faster at bay. Initially in the 1st 6 races both teams made errors and it ended up 3-3 but now it seems the Kiwis are that much faster that it's in the minds of the Italians. 3-4 Knots faster at times the Kiwis and they are tacking at higher speeds too so very hard for the Italians but they will be chewing on that last beat where they didn't cover. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, idontwan2know said:

This^. As soon as NZ get free to sail their own race they just open up. Even when behind they can often hang in when having shitty air dumped on them. It would be extremely bad luck if they lost with the beast they have.

Just now, Caecilian said:

if team LR had the NZ boat who would win?

Mate - torn, I think that Jimmy may have it on Match racing ability, pure match racing..... On a team basis, nah - ETNZ

• Like 1

Gee I hope Prada do come back if and I mean “if” ETNZ successfully defend the cup. It would also be good if they can bury the hatchet and make peace between each other. Prada are a super strong syndicate, it would be a wast to lose it all. 

6 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

He was fucking not.

He called the right before the previous cross at least a minute earlier.

Honestly TC, remove head from sphincter then type.

• Like 1

You don't know shit either. Your just sulking because the Kiwi team is winning this thing.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

this level its tiny edges,

Umm...small margins is the official parlance......

Decision making is really tested at the speeds these boats go. LR got most of them right bar one......

7 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The boat that never won a single race? 
go rain on someone else’s parade. 

We know what is about to happen. Whether it is today, or tomorrow, I am happy that the competitors are the Italians. In the past we have raced competitors that we have neither liked, nor respected. 

But the Italians are different. You can not doubt their conviction, their passion, their sheer bloody mindness.

Unfortunately, there has to be a team that comes second, and I am proud, happy, honored that we have met the Italians, LR, Francesco, ... in the Match.

But my heart lies with TNZ and the campaign they have put on is worthy of their good name and reputation.

Go TNZ!

• Like 10
  • Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

Lets put it this way if team LR had the NZ boat who would win?

Fortunately, that's not an option. ;-)

10 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Local knowledge

1 minute ago, mako23 said:

Gee I hope Prada do come back if and I mean “if” ETNZ successfully defend the cup. It would also be good if they can bury the hatchet and make peace between each other. Prada are a super strong syndicate, it would be a wast to lose it all. 

Who knows with Mr Prada running out of time? He is very old. 

1 minute ago, Gissie said:

This^. As soon as NZ get free to sail their own race they just open up. Even when behind they can often hang in when having shitty air dumped on them. It would be extremely bad luck if they lost with the beast they have.

Been discussed endlessly, one sniff of clear air and they are gone. As much as I want NZ to win as a native, I think LR deserve to win because they are sailing really well and have the coolest boat and I love Pirelli tires

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Unfortunately, there has to be a team that comes second, and I am proud, happy, honored that we have met the Italians, LR, Francesco, ... in the Match.

Good comment - totally agree.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

Mate - torn, I think that Jimmy may have it on Match racing ability, pure match racing..... On a team basis, nah - ETNZ

You can't keep a faster boat at bay forever..!

The only thing that is sad about this, is this contest, this series, this spectacular event that has been going on for the last 3 months may end today. Its been an amazing event! Auckland has turned it on! The fans have packed the village (when its been open) the amount of spectator boats on the water has been phenomenal and the racing is some of the greatest racing we've seen since Fremantle! 

Say what you want about Dalts, but his vision has been a raging success!

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Who knows with Mr Prada running out of time? He is very old. 

You never know, the Italians are so behind the AC, they may even get someone else to step up for AC37.

Anyway, I do hope we see Italy back.

this spectacular event that has been going on for the last 3 months may end today.

Just loving the racing...so sad it might be over soon.......

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

The only thing that is sad about this, is this contest, this series, this spectacular event that has been going on for the last 3 months may end today. Its been an amazing event! Auckland has turned it on! The fans have packed the village (when its been open) the amount of spectator boats on the water has been phenomenal and the racing is some of the greatest racing we've seen since Fremantle! 

Say what you want about Dalts, but his vision has been a raging success!

FUCK ME!

4himself has posted something i actually agree with every single word!

1 minute ago, MaxHugen said:

You never know, the Italians are so behind the AC, they may even get someone else to step up for AC37.

You have to wait 4.00 min :D

5 minutes ago, JJD said:

The boat that never won a single race? 
go rain on someone else’s parade. 

AM was fast but had a rudder problem, but yes, they had an amazing potential that sadly we could not see.

Just now, MaxHugen said:

Lot's of money to pump in, Italy is in a bit of crisis nowadays, it's going to be difficult.

Jimmy is a top hand - awesome bloke, Husband and Father..... much maligned in his youth, Brash Ranga that he was.... Had the priviledge of listening to him at a coaching session and a couple of beverages after, infront of the camera is not the man face to face - he's good & a hell of a boxer as well!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

Lets put it this way if team LR had the NZ boat who would win?

Without question, JS and FB are better match racers, although you may be overlooking one important thing, TR is designed and tailor-made for Burling+Tuke+Ashby style of racing, so JS+FB may not be able to extract the full speed potential from TR.

• Like 2