AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

5 minutes before the cut off so could be no go.?

They have to start before 6, not finish.

But it ain't looking spectacular.

3 minutes ago, erdb said:

LR should ask for their 15 min card and push the start over the time limit:ph34r: :D

Wouldn't blame them for giving that a go...

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Postponed. What a head fuck the weather has been for the cup. 

On the positive side, we've only missed 1 day due to weather!

4 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

Let's hope race 10 is as good as race 9. What a race!

That was impressive I must say.

The bottom rounding by LR was quite simply jaw dropping.

RC not moving marks so I think they're gonna abandon.

If it fills it should be going left & they won't be able to relay course.

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Meh, they have done as well in these conditions as any.

Another night in the shed would give them a last roll if the dice on... Something? Maybe?

1 minute ago, hoom said:

Will be surprised if they pull the trigger.... may well be 1 & done.....

1 minute ago, hoom said:

I agree. 

3 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

Might not need him nxt time.

Might be a new class no foils

If no foils, perhaps, he is pretty busy with other foilers. And if you get the cup you may well lose it.

3 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

Might not need him nxt time.

Might be a new class no foils

Ignore him he’s trying his best to be a Troll

Shit! Another bloody round of interviews and press conferences asking about "how does it feel", "tell us about the pressure" etc.

But at least JS finally gets to say "imagine if they lose it from here"

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Just image LR are leading the next race and just before the finish the FCS jams so they lose by a mechanical fault. 

Well, lets be honest, there's been no real FCS issues since the ACWS. And even then it was system integration issues, not so much issues with the system itself.

If they have issues with the FCS, as it was with AM, they can't blame it on the system itself.

• Like 1

I just want Jimmy to turn up to the Press Conference and say "What if these guys lose from here" and then Pete say "Good to see a bit of fight outta these boys" lol

• Like 2

Great race.  What a heartbreaker.  New Zealand doing what they have to - keep it close until they find a hole they can squeeze through.  Great sailing by both teams.  Loved that leeward mark maneuver by Bruni!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I just want Jimmy to turn up to the Press Conference and say "What if these guys lose from here" and then Pete say "Good to see a bit of fight outta these boys" lol

It would be unfair to say LR hasn't fought, this has been a much harder series for TNZ.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Kinda disappointed we will never get to see these boats race at the top of their ranges with the forecast for what’s to come. 

they are not really safe at the top end

Just now, Caecilian said:

love the optimism!

Mai mollare. Tutto può succedere. Never give up. Anything could happen.

And it would not be the first time.

• Like 3

Wrong call on LR to stay on what everyone knew was the worst side of the course, race lost.

This race is the demonstration that although you are not on the fastest boat you can win, or stay ahead, but to achieve that, you have to sail perfectly, with no errors.

Credits to the kiwis, so far I have only noticed two big mistakes from them in the whole event

43 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

Listen to the conversation on LR, Jimmy wanted to protect the right on that last windward leg and tack on NZ, but NZ were closing in quickly, LR were not far ahead enough to tack on them, and had to let NZ through to the right hand side of the course, game over.  Again. NZ may be lucky, but it was through their boat speed, they broke LR's cover.

Also, later up the course, while LR is still ahead, FB made the decision that he wanted to protect the left, that was the mistake that gave the race away.

• Like 1

For any Prada fans out there that are feeling that luck has deserted them, I can understand how they are feeling. The AC can be a cruel game, at times. 

Same time, same place tomorrow.  I really hope for some breeze in the teens!  Would be nice to see some edge of control sailing.  Forecast looks better tomorrow from here (a long fucking ways a way.  I can see Canada, eh!

• Like 1

Now LR need some divine help to win. San Francisco and all the other  saints, but especially him, please help us in this hour of need :D :D :D 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Yep, keep the hookers and champagne on ice till the score board reads 7-3.

16 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Where the fuck is Herbie when Jimmy needs him!

• Like 1

It’s a numbers game. For LR to stay in front they have to make 20 or 30 good decisions, no bad ones, nail the execution on every decision and have at least equal share of luck. Tough if not impossible to manage that over a long series.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

They were lucky in this race, square and simple.

Really strange that the best sailors always get lucky.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, sfigone said:

Shit! Another bloody round of interviews and press conferences asking about "how does it feel", "tell us about the pressure" etc.

But at least JS finally gets to say "imagine if they lose it from here"

I think Jimmy will be too busy tonight reading "Fundamentals of Match Racing" They fucked up, screwed the pooch and gave another one away.

I don't understand LRPP's tactics on that leg 5 decision to split to the left. 

If the boat behind you tacks away, which NZL did, you tack as well, so you remain on their beam and fairly close to windward so you're both in the same breeze.

- If they tack again, tack on their face.
- If you both get lifted, they're in your dirty air and can't do nuffin.
- If you both get headed, when they tack you do too, and again you're on their air and further ahead.

The only issue is what happens at the boundary, but surely you're in a bit of control by the time you get there.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Yep. They are a tougher opponent than Oracle were in Bermuda.

Yep, let's be honest that boat was probably only the 3rd fastest in the competition and relatively devoid of innovation.

I think if Artemis had faced them in the match, oracle would still have lost.

3 minutes ago, Last Post said:

I think Jimmy will be too busy tonight reading "Fundamentals of Match Racing" They fucked up, screwed the pooch and gave another one away.

It was FB whom made that last call to protect the left on the last windward leg.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

It was FB whom made that last call to protect the left on the last windward leg.

Tough call all the models had it swinging left and it did hence the potponement. A bit of local knowledge helped there. PB and BT have spent a fair bit of time in that piece of water.

20 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Now LR need some divine help to win. San Francisco and all the other  saints, but especially him, please help us in this hour of need :D :D :D 

Are you calling Sir Ben?

I'm afraid he is only divine for the Pommies. Try Saint Patricia himself, and finish an hour behind in displacement mode, like Baron Bic who proudly took the helm himself and got lost in the Newport fog.

40 minutes ago, hoom said:

LR having a bit of a practice session post-abandon.

Max: = Beatings will continue 'till Morale improves Chekko......

"So the 10th race of the series is now scheduled to take place at 4.15pm on Tuesday and the forecast is for plenty of wind."

Damn, Stuff doesn't know what day it is, let alone the weather

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Umm...small margins is the official parlance......

Decision making is really tested at the speeds these boats go. LR got most of them right bar one......

Yep and if they make them all correctly they win, if they make one significant mistake ETNZ has JUST enough of a speed edge to get by.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

they are not really safe at the top end

Funny,I went down to the village yesterday and saw the tiny boat with the bike seats way up in the air and the model airplane plastic covered fairings...wondered at the balls to sail that over 40. Then saw TR hauled, looked solid as a rock, fully protected stations. Big advance.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, strider470 said: