AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Has there been an announcement?

No, but it is expected it will go up. Currently it's only 20 %! Ainslie & Dalton are on the same page when it comes to Nationality Requirement!

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

We already have a top crew, I would not swap them with any of the others seen so far.

I thought you were praying for a SF style comeback! :P

• Like 1

By whom? 

So, the RNZYS & RYS have already signed the AC37 Protocol? WOW if true. That would be quick indeed!

Just now, fish7yu said:

I thought you were praying for a SF style comeback! :P

Of course. But just a little bit of speed would be enough. no need to change anything else.

39 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

I don't understand LRPP's tactics on that leg 5 decision to split to the left. 

If the boat behind you tacks away, which NZL did, you tack as well, so you remain on their beam and fairly close to windward so you're both in the same breeze.

- If they tack again, tack on their face.
- If you both get lifted, they're in your dirty air and can't do nuffin.
- If you both get headed, when they tack you do too, and again you're on their air and further ahead.

The only issue is what happens at the boundary, but surely you're in a bit of control by the time you get there.

With the retrospect-a-scope, we can definitely see that if LR had crossed, they would have got to the lay line ahead (ETNZ made it easy after tacking) and if ETNZ had continued they would have gone to the worse left side.   I'm 99% sure LR would have one the race if they crossed.

But as KR said, they didn't have the helicopter view.  The left had just paid off for them in the last split and they just didn't see the shift.  Bad luck?  Or would a cross then tack if NZ had continued still been enough?  Maybe... so perhaps crossing was the percentage move.... but again with the benefit of retrospect.

As much as people talk about San Francisco, LR seem to be having their own San Francisco moment. They were equal to Team NZ, they were polished, they were fast, and they were winning races.

Now they've been passed (literally and metaphorically). In some ways, LR at one stage were in the box seat, a point up, with ETNZ in a must win situation, even glenn Ashby said they were now in a must win situation. The momentum has well and truly swung the other way with the Kiwi's on the verge of what feels like an inevitable win. LR now needs a miracle to pull it off. They'd be feeling somewhat confident having Jimmy on the boat, and now its time they leaned on him in this must win situation.

I just don't think he has the crew around him to pull it off. As great a sailor as Checco is, he's not up to the task of the Americas Cup. 

But in terms of San Francisco, I definitely think there's one team on the receiving end of a San Francisco moment, and its LR.

5 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

COR will have the agreement with the defender

Sorry, my question was by whom has it been sighted since it could be by someones sisters pet cat.

8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

So, the RNZYS & RYS have already signed the AC37 Protocol? WOW if true. That would be quick indeed!

I don't believe they CAN sign it in advance of the completion of the current match.

The comment was that it has been SIGHTED, to which I responded by WHOM since if it was by someones sister's cat, then it isn't exactly a reliable source.

12 minutes ago, strider470 said:

San Diego 1992 will do better :D

I specified 1995 very carefully as I know exactly WHO happened to TNZ in 1992 :lol:

Well done Italy! :angry:

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I don't believe they CAN sign it in advance of the completion of the current match.

The comment was that it has been SIGHTED, to which I responded by WHOM since if it was by someones sister's cat, then it isn't exactly a reliable source.

Someone sister's cat is dog  compliant?

• Like 5

Of course, my bad. Obviously they can't signed it until ETNZ wins that Final Race. But it has already being set up, that's the Point I am making. That is unusual. OTUSA released the Protocol for AC35 six months after they won AC34. ETNZ needed 4 months to release the Protocol for AC37!

Just now, dg_sailingfan said:

Of course, my bad. Obviously they can't signed it until ETNZ wins that Final Race. But it has already being set up, that's the Point I am making. That is unusual. OTUSA released the Protocol for AC35 six months after they won AC34. ETNZ needed 4 months to release the Protocol for AC37!

So they released the protocol after 4 months but a memorandum of understanding (or some such) will have been signed about 2 seconds after the last race.

17 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

COR will have the agreement with the defender

All of this happens after the D.o.G. is presented, accepted and signed..... Mate - Yesterday I sighted Elvis... doesn't mean it was real (Mescal Tequila after Scotch was NOT a good move).......

Just now, Piet56 said:

All of this happens after the D.o.G. is presented, accepted and signed..... Mate - Yesterday I sighted Elvis... doesn't mean it was real (Mescal Tequila after Scotch was NOT a good move).......

Fuck is that where my cat is....ELVIS COME.!!!!!!

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

I don't understand LRPP's tactics on that leg 5 decision to split to the left. 

They got sick of being sailed around.

9 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Live

- Great to have GA on stage, he is just simply more pleasing to the ears compares to PB, not giving out too much at the same time.

- FB owns up on the call to protect the left.

- Jimmy said that he is excited to be in this position again, but his body language says otherwise.

- A little bit disappointed that there are no real fireworks this time around in the Finals, everyone is too nice to the others.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

Fuck is that where my cat is....ELVIS COME.!!!!!!

I'll send the fucker if you pay the freight..... getting sick of him shitting in my garden...... :lol::lol::ph34r:

So tomorrow is looking great again for some AC racing. 

It may pay to head downtown in the afternoon. Wouldn't want to miss anything.......

Screenshot_20210316-193104_PredictWind.jpg

• Like 1

Look I had to sleep with TVNZ reporter Emily van Velthooven to get that little snippet of pillow talk about the nationality rules. So just believe me.

The things I do for you guys

Just now, 1eyedkiwi said:

Spithill in that press conference.... who is that guy??? It’s definitely not Jimmy Spithill!! he’s getting nice in his older age!

Nope. He's under strict contractual obligations not to be himself. 

14 minutes ago, jaysper said:

So they released the protocol after 4 months but a memorandum of understanding (or some such) will have been signed about 2 seconds after the last race.

You guys are completely off tack with this.  All that is required is someone to pitch up immediately after the last race to the Defender (RNZYS) or the Winners Yacht Club and challenge in the format described in the deed of gift.  Now the fact is a lot of that has already been decided and I doubt if you could slip a credit card between the gap between the RNZYS rep and the RYS during the next yacht race.

The prospective Challenger could specify 90ft monohull's but what will most likely be specified is that the Defender and the Challenger will decide.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Love Jimmy. Hope he will sign for life with Luna Rossa.

Which ever way this one goes I’m sure he’ll be with you next time. Seems to be enjoying it. 

Looks like my prediction of 7:3 might come off.

Your shout if it does guys.

847eed2503bf544f997b97a76a573cde.gif

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Love Jimmy. Hope he will sign for life with Luna Rossa.

Jimmy always talks it up while his face tells a different story.

He has lost more AC races than he has won.

1 minute ago, rantro said:

And yet he has won more than anyone else as a helmsman

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Tightening of nationality rules coming up in next AC.

Poor Alinghi - NOT!

Isn't there a "?" missing at the end of that post?

4 minutes ago, rantro said:

Then that just proves how much he has grown up. I never thought i would say this but i am starting to like him.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Then that just proves how much he has grown up. I never thought i would say this but i am starting to like him.

Compared side to side with bruni he is still a brash dick. Compared with NO, he still is.

1 minute ago, 36thLatitude said:

When does the cup get renamed NZs cup??

In not less than about 170 years? And if things go really well :D

• Like 2
Just now, strider470 said:

In not less than about 170 years? And if things go really well :D

This is actually the correct answer.

2 hours ago, strider470 said:

Now LR need some divine help to win. San Francisco and all the other  saints, but especially him, please help us in this hour of need :D :D :D 

Unfortunately I don't see it coming. 2013 there was a very clear speed edge for Oracle. Suddenly they had far superior flight control. Now TR has the speed edge. LR is sailing better than TR, but TR is fast enough to catch up after a mistake by them or a good move by LR. And once they get a bit of lead LR has no chance to get close.

Now we saw a even start. LR had a better position, but TR almost had enough speed edge to take the lead. Boats other way around TR would have rolled LR.

You can say LR made a mistake. But TR was so close with their speed that at every cross they had a new change. If LR made a mistake, it was after the leeward mark. They should have tacked and followed TR. Then tried to keep them at the short side. The speed edge is too much for allowing half a course for TR.

• Like 2

Now I know most ETNZ supporters think JS is a cock sucker ofthe highest order, ...his dickhead behaviour in SF pretty much cemented him as such. But (and it’s a big BUT) it’s pretty clear now that it’s the team that has shaped him into the person he is today. In my opinion Oracle were a bunch of pricks, from the top all the way through to the boat cleaners...they thought they were bigger than the Cup and their behaviour was to act like wankers, basically from 2010 to 2017. To me LR have obviously instructed JS to act with dignity, grace and poise, to give praise where praise is due. To me it makes him rather likeable. He looks relaxed, he looks like he’s enjoying himself, he seems to be comfortable with his team and his own ability. I like this side of JS, long may it continue!

What say you Anarchists?

• Like 12
57 minutes ago, strider470 said:

True, though he's getting reeled in fairly quickly at the moment.

Of course none of this factors in series inflation.

But IMHO this regatta is about as impressive as anything he's done.

6 minutes ago, Joakim said:

You can say LR made a mistake. But TR was so close with their speed that at every cross they had a new change. If LR made a mistake, it was after the leeward mark. They should have tacked and followed TR. Then tried to keep them at the short side. The speed edge is too much for allowing half a course for TR.

Boat speed makes for brilliant tacticians.

LR kept pushing ETNZ back, but every time the kiwis had boat speed to came back at them again. You can call that last tack a mistake, but LR had held their lead up the left side almost to the top. No tactical brilliance from ENTZ, it was sailing up the side LR pushed it to. LR didn't have the advantage of experienced eyes in a helicopter and full course coverage with multiple cameras and personnel that the commentators had.

To win, LR has to win the start then sail a perfect race. ENTZ just have to stick to basics, keep coming back and wait for an error. At 5–3 there was no pressure to do anything else. At 6–3 even less so.

So I expect Burling won't really care about losing the start, as long as it's close, he'll have numerous opportunities to get past.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Barnyb said:

The document to be signed tomorrow has been sighted.  

If anyone has raised their stock this series it's Nathan Outerridge - his commentary on the racing has been a real treat. In hindsight it is quite amazing that he is not driving a boat here, but it's such a credit to him how he has been so supportive of the whole event.

If the nationality rules tighten up, would he miss a 2nd AC in a row, or could we see an AUS syndcate?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, shebeen said:

If anyone has raised their stock this series it's Nathan Outerridge - his commentary on the racing has been a real treat. In hindsight it is quite amazing that he is not driving a boat here, but it's such a credit to him how he has been so supportive of the whole event.

If the nationality rules tighten up, would he miss a 2nd AC in a row, or could we see an AUS syndcate?

He was interviewed at Xmas and talked how close an Australian team was, I think he quoted that they could have just made the start line but nothing further. 

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

And if Burling wins first race tomorrow, him and Jimmyl be at 15 wins each, with Burling losing only 4 races.

10 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Now I know most ETNZ supporters think JS is a cock sucker ofthe highest order, ...his dickhead behaviour in SF pretty much cemented him as such. But (and it’s a big BUT) it’s pretty clear now that it’s the team that has shaped him into the person he is today. In my opinion Oracle were a bunch of pricks, from the top all the way through to the boat cleaners...they thought they were bigger than the Cup and their behaviour was to act like wankers, basically from 2010 to 2017. To me LR have obviously instructed JS to act with dignity, grace and poise, to give praise where praise is due. To me it makes him rather likeable. He looks relaxed, he looks like he’s enjoying himself, he seems to be comfortable with his team and his own ability. I like this side of JS, long may it continue!

What say you Anarchists?

He might!

But he took out my favoured Sailor in the Prada Cup Final! I am getting tired seeing Ben having to play 2nd fidle to Jimmy during Bens entire Sailing Career.

• Like 1

Back in 2000, if given the possibility, I would probably have swapped crew with the Kiwis. This edition not by any means, and I'm not disrespectful with PB & c.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

What say you Anarchists?

Nah i respect him and its great to have someone who can speak his mind

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, shebeen said:

Too many competing ego's in AUS - there are multiple members of the "Squillionaire's club) yet with Bob Oakley's passing few I think would have the desire...... would be very much like herding cats & the break-up/ sinking in San Diego would still weigh......

There were noises, however I understand the Aussie authorities started looking into him & that passed bloody quickly......

N.O, my gut call will be back with an Artemes challenge IF the interest expressed by the Swedish is valid & not window licking...... be very much a wait & see .... I mean if Italy could grant Paul Cayard ( Il Moro de Venicia) citizenship then anything is possible.....

14 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

What say you Anarchists?

Carriage return helps with paragraphs

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Back in 2000, if given the possibility, I would probably have swapped crew with the Kiwis. This edition not by any means, and I'm not disrespectful with PB & c.

maybe swap the boat? :D

Just now, strider470 said:

Will Bruni stay on with the team? Please don’t shoot me, but I’d never heard of him before the Christmas Cup....is he inexperienced in AC, will he get better with another campaign? The LR team have been very impressive on and off the water!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

What say you Anarchists?

I have been in a team with Jimmy (a while ago) and can say he is a bloody good bastard. Competitive sure, but respectful of others. He was younger then but I am sure he hasnt changed. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Will Bruni stay on with the team? Please don’t shoot me, but I’d never heard of him before the Christmas Cup....is he inexperienced in AC, will he get better with another campaign? The LR team have been very impressive on and off the water!

Bruni has been on the Pro circuit for a good while and has a decent CV, as I understand it Max head hunted him iirc

did the 2003 / 07 LV challenge series & skippered the Azzura team during the LV series, Artemis in Bermuda after Prada took their toys back - yup he's good & knows the game

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

What say you Anarchists?

He has always been loved in Italy since 2007. I like much more his public image now with us than with Oracle. If I'm not mistaken he was instructed from the very beginning from Bertelli and Serena that Prada had a different approach than Oracle, and moreover that he was going to be one element of a team, and not the rockstar.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

What say you Anarchists?

Bermuda was a humbling experience for JS. It also turned his world upside down. All of a sudden he was out of a job, and a chastened loser. If they had won we might be still seeing the old Jimmy? 

• Like 1

LR should have won more races during the first three days. They really missed it there. They weren't showing the starting skills they show now and showed against INEOS. Then they had easier job keeping TR behind once in the lead.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Thewas said:

maybe swap the boat? :D

Not the whole boat, probably only some ideas here and there. LR is too much good looking.

39 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

What say you Anarchists?

Have to agree mostly, Ellison is your typical rich asshole/winning is everything guy (remember leadgate?) Jimmy was just very sure of himself and even then if you have a look at the vids he is actually just a competitive sportsman. Now in this cycle, if you listen to his coms on the boat- he is a very cool pro (as they all are). For those of us that race, can you honestly say that you are like that with your crew at all times or if you crew that your skipper is? Jimmy is doing great, but for a slightly faster boat he would win this cup no sweat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, barfy said:

Compared side to side with bruni he is still a brash dick. Compared with NO, he still is.

so you don't like him then? he he

Not the whole boat, probably only some ideas here and there. LR is too much good looking.

It's a beauty and still has better high mode and maneuverability than TR. It was lovely how they smoked TR off on the first port tack. And TR couldn't smoke them off later in a similar situation on STB. But clearly lacks VMG. Also seems to be more in trouble at the very light end.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

best looking boat and dont forget Pirelli tires with their awesome red and yellow :) 

18 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Bruni is one of our best sailors ever. Have a look at his career. Very good results on laser, 49er, and more recently with the moths, where, despite his age and being involved only in recent years, he became one of the top sailors in this class. He is also quite an expert match racer. A remarkable result I daresay. His age doesn't help but I think he will have another go. Maybe swapping roles with Sibello. Who knows. In this campaign, I liked him very much.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

Have to agree mostly, Ellison is your typical rich asshole

Oracle....

Obnoxious

Rich

Arsehole

Called

Larry

Ellison

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

thats harsh

DB harsh, you're not new here, are you?

And I said Dalts keeping his eyes on the ball, not his balls, BTW.

2 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

Luna Rossa means Red Moon, any italian friends explain the significance or meaning if any?

Berteli loves the song, romance, class.... the team in 2000 in AKL