AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

1 minute ago, minimumfuss said:

Here in NZ I think we tend to name each new boat with its own name, so there aren't a whole bunch with the same name. Although my boat is Witch Doctor 2 because I like it. The laser is Bottoms Up, for obvious reasons. But no, you shouldn't change names if a used boat. Unless it's called Seaman, or named after someone else's wife, a ex wife, or it's called Jacinda. 

What, you dont approve of Seaman Stains?

• Like 1
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, ianz said:

When LR was pushing them out past the lay line at the bottom mark. What stopped NZ from gybing onto starboard?

They didn't have room to jibe while keeping clear on port. That's what would have happened the day before, if Pete hadn't made the jibe where they dropped off the foils. Today Pete was more patient and just stayed in bad air and waited for a change, which he got.

Could LR made the last tack on the lead a bit higher, so that TR can't tack? So not giving bad air, but just preventing them from getting leverage. Then they would have leebowed them at  the boundary. Or was their lead too marginal for that? When they tacked in front, they gave TR starboard edge and two rather long tacks to get close enough. The only way for LR to survive was to find a better shift or wind from left.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, minimumfuss said:

Here in NZ I think we tend to name each new boat with its own name, so there aren't a whole bunch with the same name. Although my boat is Witch Doctor 2 because I like it. The laser is Bottoms Up, for obvious reasons. But no, you shouldn't change names if a used boat. Unless it's called Seaman, or named after someone else's wife, a ex wife, or it's called Jacinda. 

I just add numbers, I'm lacking the imagination to come up with new names each time. 

2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

In Italy we are very romantic about boat names. It's very likely that an owner (but also professional sailing teams) gives the same name to all of his boat, all life long. Think of Azzurra, Il Moro di Venezia and Mascalzone Latino, besides Luna Rossa. How is it in other countries?

NB Only exception is with used boats. Nobody dares changing the name of a boat.

Good question. Bad luck if you believe that stuff. 

All vessels have history, then someone changes the colour, shape or name.

Something special happens years from now when someone walks down the dock and tells you a story about her.

I prefer to keep some features for that reason.

1 hour ago, Barnyb said:

Fridge?

In a mark of profound respect for their opposition, an Espresso machine?

25 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

He had nothing untill his folks passed.... a Kiwi bloke with a dream (and was andamned good accountant) who made it happened during a time when Sir Peter Blake could do no wrong).... cut him some slack mate, he's worked bloody hard to get where he is

Sometimes an amazing number of petty, jealous people on thread who either don't have as much wealth, or are lesser sailors or just inferior in some way or another. As far as I am concerned DB has more money than me, is a better sailor than me but hey, good on him. He has taken his opportunity, grasped it and made a pretty good go of it. He's maybe only won 9 America's Cup races BUT that already places him in a fairly select club.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Like when Jimmy beat him in 5 Olympic games? 

Nobody told Jimmy about those games being of any importance! :D :D

He thought it was some sort of Jeux sans frontières :D :D

31 minutes ago, strider470 said:

In Italy we are very romantic about boat names. It's very likely that an owner (but also professional sailing teams) gives the same name to all of his boat, all life long. Think of Azzurra, Il Moro di Venezia and Mascalzone Latino, besides Luna Rossa. How is it in other countries?

NB Only exception is with used boats. Nobody dares changing the name of a boat.

Some Aussie racing teams do the same, eg Wild Oats is now up to number XI

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Some Aussie racing teams do the same, eg Wild Oats is now up to number XI

In Italy, some people use this approach also with a girlfriend's nickname (possibly without the sequential number). Different nicknames could add to the confusion and cause unpleasant misunderstanding / jealusy. :D :D Golden rule is never use first name, it seems. :D :D  

2 minutes ago, cje said:

Good question. Bad luck if you believe that stuff. 

All vessels have history, then someone changes the colour, shape or name.

Something special happens years from now when someone walks down the dock and tells you a story about her.

I prefer to keep some features for that reason.

Ha ha. There is a little anchorage on the West Coast of Scotland, Ardinarmir. At the head of the inlet there used to be a lady (long time ago) who lived in a croft (small holding) I seem to recall her name was Irene. Anyone who anchored there was, by tradition expected to go and sign her visitors books - she had volumes of them which i understand are now held in the Clyde Cruising Club archives. One day a chap took his boat in there and went to sign the book whereupon she informed him his boat used to be blue. He countered that he had had it several years and it had always been white. A couple of seasons later he arranged for it to be takenback to the wood and re-painted. Sure enough several coats down, there she was blue.

She was apparently quite a character and the CCC made her an honorary member and when she was moved to an eventide home officers of the club made a point of visiting her.

I love little anecdotes like that.

The Picture is of my first wee 'boat with a lid' in Ardinarmir, the entrance is a lot narrower under water than it appears with rocks ether side of the channel. Definitely one to have the echo-sounder pinging when going through,

(Edit) Ha ha - couldn't resist googling it : Irene McLachlan was her name and it was an Honorary LIFE Member that they made her. She's mentioned in quite a few tales of West Coast cruising. Sadly, by the time I first moored there she had since passed away

Ardinarmir.jpeg

• Like 16
3 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Ha ha. There is a little anchorage on the West Coast of Scotland, Ardinarmir. At the head of the inlet there used to be a lady (long time ago) who lived in a croft (small holding) I seem to recall her name was Irene. Anyone who anchored there was, by tradition expected to go and sign her visitors books - she had volumes of them which i understand are now held in the Clyde Cruising Club archives. One day a chap took his boat in there and went to sign the book whereupon she informed him his boat used to be blue. He countered that he had had it several years and it had always been white. A couple of seasons later he arranged for it to be takenback to the wood and re-painted. Sure enough several coats down, there she was blue.

She was apparently quite a character and the CCC made her an honorary member and when she was moved to an eventide home officers of the club made a point of visiting her.

I love little anecdotes like that.

The Picture is of my first wee 'boat with a lid' in Ardinarmir, the entrance is a lot narrower under water than it appears with rocks ether side of the channel. Definitely one to have the echo-sounder pinging when going through,

(Edit) Ha ha - couldn't resist googling it : Irene McLachlan was her name and it was an Honorary LIFE Member that they made her. She's mentioned in quite a few tales of West Coast cruising. Sadly, by the time I first moored there she had since passed away

Ardinarmir.jpeg

Beautiful story. Run out of liles but I come back later! :)

36th America’s Cup Day 6

Race 9: Firstly, course C delivered the event we’d all been waiting for. An epic battle royale with multiple lead changes driven by high performance, high speed match race tactics sparked by the pressure of a do or die result. Well done both camps for delivering such a fantastico sailing spectacle.

Quote of the day Jimmy: “The score line doesn’t matter, the only thing that matters is winning that next race”

Indeed, Forza Italia… another day to come out slugging, and you can for sure bet on that!

Finally, have to say Checco’s natural bonhomie what an asset to have onboard.

C A E C A   I N V I D I A   E S T

SC_MST.thumb.jpg.ec2aa3c6d1a485995035294744382522.jpg

19 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Sometimes an amazing number of petty, jealous people on thread who either don't have as much wealth, or are lesser sailors or just inferior in some way or another. As far as I am concerned DB has more money than me, is a better sailor than me but hey, good on him. He has taken his opportunity, grasped it and made a pretty good go of it. He's maybe only won 9 America's Cup races BUT that already places him in a fairly select club.

Well said. I grew up sailing against Dean and he was always going to be a top sailor. Me, average. But I have watched him with admiration, and did better things with my own talents. Dean had to take the best path available to him, it's a shame he can't be part of ETNZ now.

What I really admire about ETNZ now is their ability to scope out talent from all fields of industry and other sports not associated with sailing, if it helps them develop, and the people have the drive. We must have the most random bunch of grinders in this AC? 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

Checco’s natural bonhomie

He comes across as an intelligent, very likable guy. A real find of this regatta. Hope to see him in the next one.

• Like 5

Menacing message for my Kiwi friends :D Do not begin celebrations, it's not over yet. The momentum has changed in the AC series, two races ago, where you could win only "per un pelo", by a tiny hair. This pelo got shorter and shorter and there is no more left. Jimmy is on fire. Go Lunaaaaaaaaaaa. 4 more wins!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Menacing message for my Kiwi friends :D Do not begin celebrations, it's not over yet. The momentum has changed in the AC series, two races ago, where you could win only "per un pelo", by a tiny hair. This pelo got shorter and shorter and there is no more left. Jimmy is on fire. Go Lunaaaaaaaaaaa. 4 more wins!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the lunatic rossa again:ph34r:.

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

But after he wins at Ludo against his great aunt, he has to race an AC75 against ETNZ...

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Menacing message for my Kiwi friends :D Do nont begin celebrations, it's not over yet. The momentum has changed in the AC series, two races ago, where you could win only "per un pelo", by a tiny hair. This pelo got shorter and shorter and there is no more left. Jimmy is on fire. Go Lunaaaaaaaaaaa. 4 more wins!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry us kiwis have plenty experience of Rugby World cups and America's cups to be celebrating yet. Especially this cup, its insane. 

1 minute ago, Dave S said:

Not proper match racing... all over after the start... impossible to overtake... blah blah blah...

Congrats...first time anyone has posted that!!:lol:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Aaahhh! The Grappa tastes good in the morning eh?

Glenn, let's chat tomorrow. Larry is offering $6m and I think I can push Ernesto to $10m, tax free. Ernesto is a bit of a dick but I can manage him. He's offering a $4m if you can get copies of all ETNZ's design package. Think about it, your house could be as big as mine. I think I can push Red  Bull for a lifetime supply of the majic juice. Mozzy is joining Ernesto's team so how can we lose? Sounds like $15m for three years work and not even Russell made that. Cha ching!

larry.jpg

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

Aaahhh! The Grappa tastes good in the morning eh?

Properly distilled has you confused? 

WTF is wrong this place?

1 hour ago, 45Roller said:

Yeah Slingers said something similar when on The Cup podcast, great listen, him and Nathan... 

Actually great to have Nathan, Ken and Shirley in the commentary team + insight from eliminated team members. It really adds to have knowledgeable people and different perspective on and off the water.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Are you saying your Australian is better than our Australian ?

• Like 2
Just now, mako23 said:

Are you saying your Australian is better than our Australian ?

Our Jimmy "Chuck Norris" Spithill has no equals. ;) But your Australian is not bad as well.

Jimmy  is complementary of his enemy when he knows he is fucked.

In  San Fran he knew he was going to win and why, so he acted like a dick.

1 hour ago, Piet56 said:

He had nothing untill his folks passed.... a Kiwi bloke with a dream (and was andamned good accountant) who made it happened during a time when Sir Peter Blake could do no wrong).... cut him some slack mate, he's worked bloody hard to get where he is

To be honest I’ve given Deano some stick during this cup cycle. In my opinion he’s too old for the job. At his peak he was one of the best in the world. He also has achieved a lot. But time sits still for no man and that includes Deano. Younger men have come to take his place. Everyone deserves a place in the sun and then passes it on to a younger generation.I hope he has a great fat nest egg and he can retire in comfort.  He has a world of experience and would make a good coach. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, strider470 said:

How do you know grappa? :)

Two nights in Firenze got me going, a long afternoon in Ventimiglia got me hooked!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

Two nights in Firenze got me going, a long afternoon in Ventimiglia got me hooked!

Just keep clear of the Alps then, it'll be a one way road to serious addiction.

• Like 1

Fuck Jimmy, you are scaring me.

larry.jpg

• Like 1

The thing about Jimmy isn't that just he's a competitive sportsman. Lots of hyper competitive people are sore-ish losers but few are terrible winners, and that's what Jimmy is. His derogatory comments about TNZ after beating them in the RR stages in Bermuda shows the sort of winner he is. A gloating peacock. It was a comeuppance for OR to lose key races through unforced errors after he'd banged on so much about how he, Slingsby and Langford were a better combo of tactics and on-boat communication than TNZ.

With age and a few (well needed) doses of humble pie he's probably just turned into a decent competitive guy who would is good fun to be around.

2 hours ago, Caecilian said:

Have to agree mostly, Ellison is your typical rich asshole/winning is everything guy (remember leadgate?) Jimmy was just very sure of himself and even then if you have a look at the vids he is actually just a competitive sportsman. Now in this cycle, if you listen to his coms on the boat- he is a very cool pro (as they all are). For those of us that race, can you honestly say that you are like that with your crew at all times or if you crew that your skipper is? Jimmy is doing great, but for a slightly faster boat he would win this cup no sweat.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Thewas said:

R U actually asking it to somebody who's nick is "Ruhmline"? :lol:

My love for the grape is a broad church! :P

11 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Our Jimmy "Chuck Norris" Spithill has no equals. ;) But your Australian is not bad as well.

“If” ETNZ successfully defend the cup, I hope Prada stay in the game. It would be horrible if someone else hijacked the considerable talent in that syndicate. 

I think the nationality rule has to toughen up considerably, to protect Italian talent. 

Just now, Rhumline said:

Thank God you didn't go to Veneto, one of the best places to drink grappa. You would be dead!

1 hour ago, Joakim said:

They didn't have room to jibe while keeping clear on port. That's what would have happened the day before, if Pete hadn't made the jibe where they dropped off the foils. Today Pete was more patient and just stayed in bad air and waited for a change, which he got.

Could LR made the last tack on the lead a bit higher, so that TR can't tack? So not giving bad air, but just preventing them from getting leverage. Then they would have leebowed them at  the boundary. Or was their lead too marginal for that? When they tacked in front, they gave TR starboard edge and two rather long tacks to get close enough. The only way for LR to survive was to find a better shift or wind from left.

I found this fascinating when considering it against the conventional tactics you and I sail. Gybing in our boats would have resulted in covering from a wind perspective in non-foiling boats but here it is the exact opposite.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

“If” ETNZ successfully defend the cup, I hope Prada stay in the game. It would be horrible if someone else hijacked the considerable talent in that syndicate. 

I think the nationality rule has to toughen up considerably, to protect Italian talent. 

That would be a problem for new challengers though. Maybe  a relaxed rule for newcomers from places where sailing is not a mainstream sport could do. Also that could affect the many excellent Kiwi professional sailors that don't work in ETNZ. Honestly they have to find a correct compromise. I don't mind for LR, we already have an almost all Italian established sailing crew and many young people are being involved.

4 hours ago, Trouper said:

Due to overseas TV commitments. 

really? it's stupid o'clock in europe during racing.

should be first race 9am.

or 9pm and we have nightsailing!

2 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Now I know most ETNZ supporters think JS is a cock sucker ofthe highest order, ...his dickhead behaviour in SF pretty much cemented him as such. But (and it’s a big BUT) it’s pretty clear now that it’s the team that has shaped him into the person he is today. In my opinion Oracle were a bunch of pricks, from the top all the way through to the boat cleaners...they thought they were bigger than the Cup and their behaviour was to act like wankers, basically from 2010 to 2017. To me LR have obviously instructed JS to act with dignity, grace and poise, to give praise where praise is due. To me it makes him rather likeable. He looks relaxed, he looks like he’s enjoying himself, he seems to be comfortable with his team and his own ability. I like this side of JS, long may it continue!

What say you Anarchists?

As one of the few people here who actually haven't met him, he comes across as quite a decent bloke.

Listen to his episode on the Shirley Robertson and you'd be a c*nt if you still think he's c*nt

https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/364820.rss

4 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Look I had to sleep with TVNZ reporter Emily van Velthooven to get that little snippet of pillow talk about the nationality rules. So just believe me.

The things I do for you guys

stand in line!!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/spy-americas-cup-romance-tvnz-star-emily-van-velthooven-and-luna-rossa-sailor-nicholas-brezzi/VZX342DYH6HJYBIRPJ5JLZXNIQ/

• Like 1

Race 9 telemetry and video feeds are uploaded: https://ac36.herokuapp.com/map

I've added course-VMG which shows how good the team has sailed the shifts. So you can easily see the 6kn VMG difference which lead to the lead change on the leg 5 of the last race.

image.png.47663931c7b7a6fa10b92c93ad08f072.png

• Like 10
3 hours ago, RobG said:

If so, I bet it doesn't exclude Ashby from ETNZ.

I think he might have a passport by now.

In 2019 New Years honours, Ashby was appointed a member of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to sailing. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

Actually great to have Nathan, Ken and Shirley in the commentary team + insight from eliminated team members. It really adds to have knowledgeable people and different perspective on and off the water.

I am impressed by the TV coverage both on and off the water on the world feed. TVNZ, not so much. 

3 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

I am impressed by the TV coverage both on and off the water on the world feed. TVNZ, not so much. 

TV coverage has been better that LR coverage ;)

• Like 1

Having watched the ETNZ stern cam, I am pretty speechless. From the 50kt entry in 13 knots, to the sheer intensity and teamwork to just get around the course is astonishing. The commentary is superfluous. And PB does half of it blind relying on some shitty cameras and the leeward crews calls. Splitting Northern Leading light upwind at nearly 40 knots was arse puckering. I wish the 360 cams recorded whole races. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Live. Sail. Die. For the win on outstanding insight and analysis. 

Nathan Outteridge has been an absolute standout also. Deep intellect re: foiling boats. 

Mozzy, the mad scientist who made me understand what I was looking at. 

2 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

My only slight niggle with the coverage is the timing of cut-aways to the spectators onshore. I get that showing spectators having a great time is an important part of the publicity package, especially with most of the rest of the World in some form of lockdown, but can't they wait until the boats have split?

They could also have picked a better time to replay the leeward mark action, but at least they were showing the live action in the corner of the screen, which is what I was watching.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dave S said:

My only slight niggle with the coverage is the timing of cut-aways to the spectators onshore. I get that showing spectators having a great time is an important part of the publicity package, especially with most of the rest of the World in some form of lockdown, but can't they wait until the boats have split?

They could also have picked a better time to replay the leeward mark action, but at least they were showing the live action in the corner of the screen, which is what I was watching.

YES. no one wants to see that, and if you really have to. when both boats are middle of the course way between any maneouvers

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, mako23 said:

The mix is roughly right at the moment.  Both NZ and ITA have strong national teams with some important Aussie talent mixed in. I think the teams are better for a little international flavor.

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

So, the RNZYS & RYS have already signed the AC37 Protocol? WOW if true. That would be quick indeed!

They will not have signed it but likely will have an unsigned term sheet agreeing the major items of agreement.   NZ needs to reach agreement before favoring a challenger and this has to be nailed down before final race.....because once final race over, the challenge comes in. 

1 hour ago, dorox said:

I've added course-VMG which shows how good the team has sailed the shifts. So you can easily see the 6kn VMG difference which lead to the lead change on the leg 5 of the last race.

massive props for this. for some reason the YT feeds have dropped when trying to view race 9. is that just me?

1 minute ago, shebeen said:

massive props for this. for some reason the YT feeds have dropped when trying to view race 9. is that just me?

I was fixing a bug and messed up. Should be working ok now, with the correct sync for stbd entry cam.
Ctrl+F5 to refresh the page

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dorox said:

The Italians have been quite lucky in the last two races. No meteorite hit them. :D :D 

4 minutes ago, dorox said:

I was fixing a bug and messed up. Should be working ok now, with the correct sync for stbd entry cam.
Ctrl+F5 to refresh the page

BOOYAKASHA! - GIF on Imgur

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Quote of the day on the Italian boat, for sensitive international ears "scheißen

Yeah from Checco when he knew he'd fucked up. He owned it though......Their stern cam was quite revealing....some of their decision making was erratic.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah from Checco when he knew he'd fucked up. He owned it though......

Also it appears the team and Jimmy rallied around him on the decision. My fear with this management model was these sorts of situations and the fallout from them so I am hopeful they really are accepting of mistakes in each other. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, danstanford said:

Also it appears the team and Jimmy rallied around him on the decision. My fear with this management model was these sorts of situations and the fallout from them so I am hopeful they really are accepting of mistakes in each other. 

They did...but the alternative was acrimony which isn't going to help. It did cost them the race. They have to be pretty much perfect from now on. Not easy when the problems come at you so fast with these boats. Checco seems to have the last word on LR, and he generally gets it right, which you'd expect at this level.

• Like 2

This Cup will eat at Italians for years.  How many races have been thrown away due to tactics alone?

just awful.  

why the fuck they took the left in leg 5 is beyond me. 

why why why why.  For decades the right has been devastating.  This was generally an even race - just fucking stupid and a waste. 

take the fucking cross.  If ETNZ picks up a left shift and beat you - oh well.  But don’t shoot yourself in the foot.

LR did the same thing in race 7 with that dumbass  JK.  Fucking stupid and unnecessary. 

Fortunately the best sailors AND boat are winning so justice is served.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

This Cup will eat at Italians for years.

Heartache and disappointment is part of the America's Cup experience. We've had our fair share.

• Like 1

In Italy there is great admiration for the Kiwis boat handling, which is considered at a sublime level. Especially Burling, that steer the AC75 as if it were a giant moth, according to Francesco de Angelis. They say that Te Rehutai is faster but probably more difficult to manage and for that extra speed must be greatly credited Burling & C and their innovative approach in many aspects of boat handling and manoeuvring, which also influenced the design.

https://youtu.be/8J7uY38JVmI

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

This Cup will eat at Italians for years.  How many races have been thrown away due to tactics alone?

just awful.  

why why why why.  For decades the right has been devastating.  This was generally an even race - just fucking stupid and a waste. 

take the fucking cross.  If ETNZ picks up a left shift and beat you - oh well.  But don’t shoot yourself in the foot.

LR did the same thing in race 7 with that dumbass  JK.  Fucking stupid and unnecessary. 

Fortunately the best sailors AND boat are winning so justice is served.

Wow, if the wind had gone left and the cross had happened with the same result would you feel the same way? It seems some people would then criticize LR for not covering in that scenario. 

We make mistakes that aren't really mistakes till the other Guy makes his choice in my view. There was no choice without risk in this situation. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, danstanford said:

I feel for Checco, he's too good a man to be anything other than honest in admitting his mistakes. And you can see it in him, it's as though the wind has gone out of his particular sail. And that's a tragedy for many reasons. It's hard not to feel that there is lasting damage when the stakes are so high and you let other people down. Redemption is sweet but hard earned and I would like to think he will have a moment to shine before this ends. One race, one brilliant call that decided a close encounter.

Tomorrow dawns a new day, and ETNZ should have their well deserved prize but it would be nice to see LRPP shine before they bow out gracefully and with enormous respect.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Clapham said:

Glenn, let's chat tomorrow. Larry is offering $6m and I think I can push Ernesto to $10m, tax free. Ernesto is a bit of a dick but I can manage him. He's offering a $4m if you can get copies of all ETNZ's design package. Think about it, your house could be as big as mine. I think I can push Red  Bull for a lifetime supply of the majic juice. Mozzy is joining Ernesto's team so how can we lose? Sounds like $15m for three years work and not even Russell made that. Cha ching!

larry.jpg

You are joking but don’t think these conversations aren’t already happening.  They have bills just like the rest of us lol.

1 hour ago, Enzedel92 said:

I followed the Italian post-race to understand WHY they chose to protect the left at that crucial moment. The previous two upwind segments were favourable on the left for both LR and ENTZ and before the crossing (with a good advantage) Bruni read less wind pressure on the water on the right, ahead of LR. So they decided for a hard cover on ETNZ tacking towards the left and bounced the Kiwis to the right. In the end, this was a very bad choice because the wind hole they saw, (that was real and is evident from the wind read from ETNZ) was indeed very small and after that, there was actually good pressure. The subsequent big wind shift fucked the race. Basically, it was a partial misjudgement that led to a bad tactical call. Add to that a bit of confusion in communication when the choice was made.

Paradoxically if LR had a smaller advantage at that moment when crossing, they wouldn't (couldn't) have tacked, and being forced to cross and go to the right, they would probably have won the race. For sure that move was not a brilliant decision made by the Kiwis, in fact they were forced to go there to the right by the hard cover of LR, and they couldn't do anything different.

This is it

• Like 4
3 hours ago, dorox said:

Is this the leg where LR chose the wrong side of the course and gave the race away?

10 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Is this the leg where LR chose the wrong side of the course and gave the race away?

Yes

37 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I followed the Italian post-race to understand WHY they chose to protect the left at that crucial moment. The previous two upwind segments were favourable on the left for both LR and ENTZ and before the crossing (with a good advantage) Bruni read less wind pressure on the water on the right, ahead of LR. So they decided for a hard cover on ETNZ tacking towards the left and bounced the Kiwis to the right. In the end, this was a very bad choice because the wind hole they saw, (that was real and is evident from the wind read from ETNZ) was indeed very small and after that, there was actually good pressure. The subsequent big wind shift fucked the race. Basically, it was a partial misjudgement that led to a bad tactical call. Add to that a bit of confusion in communication when the choice was made.

Paradoxically if LR had a smaller advantage at that moment when crossing, they wouldn't (couldn't) have tacked, and being forced to cross and go to the right, they would probably have won the race. For sure that move was not a brilliant decision made by the Kiwis, in fact they were forced to go there to the right by the hard cover of LR, and they couldn't do anything different.

This is it

The bit of nuance that I think is getting a little lost is that ITA had another option than slam or cross. They could have gone with a soft cover, roughly bow even with NZL (I believe Jimmy called for a soft cover). This would have put them in a position to lee-bow NZL on the next tack. Match racing is about control, ITA chose to give up control when they slammed NZL, so it was less luck and more of a tactical choice by ITA. 

With the slower boat, one bad decision will put you behind, and unfortunately that's what happened.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sailer99 said:

The bit of nuance that I think is getting a little lost is that ITA had another option than slam or cross. They could have gone with a soft cover, roughly bow even with NZL (I believe Jimmy called for a soft cover). This would have put them in a position to lee-bow NZL on the next tack. Match racing is about control, ITA chose to give up control when they slammed NZL, so it was less luck and more of a tactical choice by ITA. 

With the slower boat, one bad decision will put you behind, and unfortunately that's what happened.

yes, true, I heard Jimmy asking if he wanted a soft cover or not. Then Bruni made that decision. If you hear the on board audio, it was not a moment of very good communication between the three, in particular Francesco.

3 minutes ago, sailer99 said:

My take was LR had three choices. Cover, loose cover and run it out to the layline.
Choices 1 and 2 would see them making an extra gybe and in doing so would be passed. So they went with going out to the layline, taking a chance that the pressure would remain and they would round in the lead. Didn't pan out but it was likely the higher percentage move.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, quod umbra said:

My take was LR had three choices. Cover, loose cover and run it out to the layline.
Choices 1 and 2 would see them making an extra gybe and in doing so would be passed. So they went with going out to the layline, taking a chance that the pressure would remain and they would round in the lead. Didn't pan out but it was likely the higher percentage move.

But we are talking of the upwind leg here.

The following picture is soon after the possible crossing when instead both boats did the tack, LR going to left and NZ forced to right.

You can see NZ entering the wind hole (buco di vento) that Bruni had saw and  that suggested him to go to the left (read the wind values):

1.JPG.d885af395bcd50dc8737a8d1ffb31bb4.JPG

But the zone of low wind was actually very small and NZ find themselves in more wind than LR, more than 2 kts

2.JPG.da5636e32f67b045fe390302eb4fb6d8.JPG

at this moment the wind is still  left, with slight more pressure on NZ

3.JPG.ba1374eae50a67681396cbe857ea63c6.JPG

Now  the boats tack (on the lay lines) and the wind it begins rotating towards right (similar strenght):

4.JPG.3c2b40b2657c7a1209ea1f457e024d94.JPG

At this moment we can see the big wind shift to right with almost 3kts more for NZ

5.JPG.9110a8785c7c0df1065eec7a55cdbbe3.JPG

And here the fucking result:

6.JPG.8012beb93ab9ac276d9ce46ee586e7a7.JPG

• Like 15
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

But we are talking of the upwind leg here.

The following picture is soon after the possible crossing when instead both boats did the tack, LR going to left and NZ forced to right.

You can see NZ entering the wind hole (buco di vento) that Bruni had saw and  that suggested him to go to the left (read the wind values):

1.JPG.d885af395bcd50dc8737a8d1ffb31bb4.JPG

But the zone of low wind was actually very small and NZ find themselves in more wind than LR, more than 2 kts

2.JPG.da5636e32f67b045fe390302eb4fb6d8.JPG

at this moment the wind is still  left, with slight more pressure on NZ

3.JPG.ba1374eae50a67681396cbe857ea63c6.JPG

Now  the boats tack (on the lay lines) and the wind it begins rotating towards right (similar strenght):

4.JPG.3c2b40b2657c7a1209ea1f457e024d94.JPG

At this moment we can see the big wind shift to right with almost 3kts more for NZ

5.JPG.9110a8785c7c0df1065eec7a55cdbbe3.JPG

And here the fucking result:

6.JPG.8012beb93ab9ac276d9ce46ee586e7a7.JPG

Great analysis mate.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Enzedel92 said:

Great analysis mate.

Not mine TBH, it was on the post-race analisys on il giornale della vela

I couldn't find the direct link to the guy who did the analysis, they only said it was a Carlo from Valencia.

• Like 2