Jump to content

AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Checco is the most personable and charming of all the helmsmen in this AC, and he has a good sense of humour. I like him.

He has seemed a bit uneasy in the last two press conferences. Maybe it's just the disappointment of loosing races they might have won but I wonder if he feels a personal responsibility.

Checco is very open and honest in admitting to errors he has made. Jimmy or Ben never do so, it's not in their nature and doesn't fit their idea of what is needed to be a winner. Pete does admit to errors but then easily shrugs them off. Is Checco dwelling on his?

Whilst Jimmy is a hired gun in his fourth AC match, Checco is the Italian leader and figurehead (on the boat). He must feel the burden of representing his nation and the tifosi. Is the pressure getting to him?

Checco is why I hope LR wins a race tomorrow.

But I do grudgingly admire Jimmy's motivational skills.  I think Checco feels the loss but Jimmy picks him up.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Checco is the most personable and charming of all the helmsmen in this AC, and he has a good sense of humour. I like him.

He has seemed a bit uneasy in the last two press conferences. Maybe it's just the disappointment of loosing races they might have won but I wonder if he feels a personal responsibility.

Checco is very open and honest in admitting to errors he has made. Jimmy or Ben never do so, it's not in their nature and doesn't fit their idea of what is needed to be a winner. Pete does admit to errors but then easily shrugs them off. Is Checco dwelling on his?

Whilst Jimmy is a hired gun in his fourth AC match, Checco is the Italian leader and figurehead (on the boat). He must feel the burden of representing his nation and the tifosi. Is the pressure getting to him?

I believe that he is feeling the burden of making mistakes that mattered and the sense of letting the team down. That's a self-imposed cruelty that you carry like a wound. And because he is personable and caring, he can't hide it or pass it off with some nonsense comment.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Good analysis.

 

Yes on the surface it looks like LR lost races by mistakes........but also I think they needed to be perfect in order to stay ahead.  They should have crossed to the right for better breeze than tacked and forced ETNZ back to the right.....but I wonder if part of the midset to cover was trying to keep the tiger in check.

Large mistake which lost them the race on penultimate leg.   But TNZ seem much more relaxed to stay conservative and wait for opportunity, where LR forced to take aggresive decisions to win.

All ET need is that faint sniff of clear air and they are gone, that gives huge confidence and makes up for a mistake which they rarely make. This means LR is under massive pressure, and by LR I mean Checco and Jimmy, I think they are sailing at least as good if not better than ET.  They might win one more, but I think the only reason they picked up 3 wins was that the light air favoured their aggressive tactics while ET was relying in finding a gap to unleash their boat speed. No one expected such a massive gas trail, I find that surprising but nonetheless LR used it to their advantage. With this building breeze that door has shut

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that lessons learned, and the wounds, from SFO powered ENTZ to victory in Bermuda. 

“Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes.” Oscar Wilde

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I believe that he is feeling the burden of making mistakes that mattered and the sense of letting the team down. That's a self-imposed cruelty that you carry like a wound. And because he is personable and caring, he can't hide it or pass it off with some nonsense comment.

Checco and Jimmy are certainly a contrasting combination and odd couple. You can see why Max smiles to himself every time he talks about them! :D

Jimmy is a street fighter who believes he mustn't show an opponent any weakness.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Checco is why I hope LR wins a race tomorrow.

But I do grudgingly admire Jimmy's motivational skills.  I think Checco feels the loss but Jimmy picks him up.

They’re a very good team. 
 

Jimmy’s turned me this time around. I e really enjoyed watching him lead and represent that team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

They’re a very good team. 
 

Jimmy’s turned me this time around. I e really enjoyed watching him lead and represent that team. 

I sympathize with all Kiwis and the feelings engendered by what happened in SF in 2013.

It is natural to feel some antipathy towards Jimmy as a result of that come back.  From here it was one of the greatest comebacks in sport of all time, alongside the Red Sox in 2004 (I was at 3rd base at the final game in 2004) .  My heart goes out to all kiwis for that event, even tho it was incredibly exciting to watch as an American.   I was kind of pleased for the Kiwis in 2017.....it was truly well deserved...and so will this defense be well deserved.

However 2013 and 2021 have Jimmy in common and it is incredible to watch his indomitable determination to fight to the very last second .....and kind of admirable. He finds the words to never ever give up , and in 2013 he got everyone to believe that a comeback was possible.  He is a true pugilist in the sailing ring. The years have made him more tactful and I think he has always respected his competition.  He has a very interesting personality. I can see why the Italians hired him. He enabled them to believe in themselves.  In true Italian style, there is clearly a great deal of affection for Jimmy. I think he could walk down the streets of Naples and get offered free Pizza. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

They’re a very good team. 
 

Jimmy’s turned me this time around. I e really enjoyed watching him lead and represent that team. 

Completely agree. As a sailing team LRPP are very easy to like: Jimmy has been an absolute model competitor and his love of the contest and battle  shines through. They are worthy contenders. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aucklander said:

Completely agree. As a sailing team LRPP are very easy to like: Jimmy has been an absolute model competitor and his love of the contest and battle  shines through. They are worthy contenders. 

Would it not be fantastic to see an Aussie team, led by Jimmy and including Nathan?  Unlikely I agree.

Although I would also like to see Jimmy sty with LR and bring them back next time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think of the newly displayed 'air wakes'. I like 'em, but two things....

Are they more or less in the right place?

Does RC get another cheque?

Link to post
Share on other sites

TVNZ sort of confirmed that the AC75 will be kept if ETNZ with this Final Race tonight and @Barnybis right: National Requirement will be tightened up.

All this shopping around by Dean Barker or Jimmy Spithill for a new Job is ridiculous. Finally we have more "Home Grown Talent" on the Boats as it should be.

My guess the first sign up by the Brits will be NYYC/American Magic Main Trimmer Paul Goodison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

And the forecast for today, or are all kiwis still sleeping?

Southerly 10 knots, easing to variable 5 knots late morning. Northeast 10 knots developing for a time late afternoon and early evening. Sea slight. Cloudy periods. Isolated afternoon showers.

Course choice will be either A or E.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to admit it - this is a sailors cup.

There is no such thing as a faster boat in the AC75's.  These boats dont budge without incredible sailing skill at 5-6 positions.  I doubt that LR team could even get around the the course in the Kiwi machine - as world class foilers, Glenn, Peter and Blair might be able to sail the less demanding Luna Rossa, but it wouldn't be pretty.

You cant separate the design from the technique or techniques being used by the teams unlike traditional keel boats where everyone is essentially riding the boat 80% of the time

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Perhaps they are good sportsmen that realize their opponents design and sailing skills?

Kiwi's are still damaged from '13. They will never see Jimmy as anything, but the caricature they paint here everyday.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Southerly 10 knots, easing to variable 5 knots late morning. Northeast 10 knots developing for a time late afternoon and early evening. Sea slight. Cloudy periods. Isolated afternoon showers.

Course choice will be either A or E.

Thanks, but that sucks. I hate the idea of this cup being over before we see these incredible machines raced in anger in 20 knots. But I well recall when the Kiwis won in Bermuda and announced the timing of this defense, that the discussion was the need to design a boat that would perform best in 10-12 knots. And doing 45 knots in 12 is pretty amazing too, although we did it a couple weeks ago on ice!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Kiwi's are still damaged from '13. They will never see Jimmy as anything, but the caricature they paint here everyday.

Not by me, but then again I’m anti establishment. Also I hate our media’s dumb peddling of the “kiwi” culture that comes out in words like “gutted” and other blokey terms 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

I totally disagree. If Luna Rossa won 3 races so far, and almost other 2 that instead they lost by a hair, it was exactly for their good match racing tactics, strategy and good starts. Or do you think they did it because they have a faster boat? Or were they lucky by any means?
If today the score were 5 - 4 instead of 3 - 6 for LR because of those two races, nobody could say that the score was not deserved. But they did one error in rounding the mark in a race (ETNZ did the very same error of falling off the foils but they were in the middle of the race course where it was more windy and could recover in half the time, we are talking of minutes), and a single wrong call in the other and we are here 3 - 6.

In the last race for instance they made only one error if you want to call that so. It was more a choice, that in the end went wrong. ETNZ has been totally passive for a good part of the race and in particular in the key moment: they went to the right only because LR chose to put them there because Bruni saw less wind in that direction. Would you say that this was a smart decision from Peter Burling? They took what they were forced to take, and it was good. With these boats, finding pressure plays a huge part in gaining or losing, especially if you are not on the faster boat. That's something you can easily see on the virtual eye, but the crews can only guess information watching the water and using their instinct while sailing at a crazy speed.

Considering the speed advantage of TR, the  Kiwi crew is actually tactically under performing, while on the boat handling part they are really showing a fantastic performance.

I paid a lot of attention to the race last night.  And you know what?  That downwind Kiwi speed frankly didn't show up.  They passed based on wind and shifts.  Upwind?  The boats are pretty well matched.

A speed difference should be evident most of the time if there is one.  But in heavier air where you'd expect the Kiwis to walk away, they didn't do it yesterday.  Both upwind and downwind, LR pretty much matched them.  I suspect the true speed advantage is much smaller than many people think it is.

Watch the VMG's.  Regardless of the boat speed, the VMG's are usually similar unless there is a marked difference in wind direction or strength.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think ETNZ was given enough credit for surviving the attack at the bottom mark when they got sailed off the course. That threw any pre-planning straight out the window but they pulled off one extemporaneous manoeuvre after another to get back on course, through the marks, round up and then off on the new tack. All those looked on to be on the ragged edge of control, but they managed it (no holes!), not sure we've seen a sequence like that under pressure in the regatta before....

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

I totally disagree. If Luna Rossa won 3 races so far, and almost other 2 that instead they lost by a hair, it was exactly for their good match racing tactics, strategy and good starts. Or do you think they did it because they have a faster boat? Or were they lucky by any means?
If today the score were 5 - 4 instead of 3 - 6 for LR because of those two races, nobody could say that the score was not deserved. But they did one error in rounding the mark in a race (ETNZ did the very same error of falling off the foils but they were in the middle of the race course where it was more windy and could recover in half the time, we are talking of minutes), and a single wrong call in the other and we are here 3 - 6.

In the last race for instance they made only one error if you want to call that so. It was more a choice, that in the end went wrong. ETNZ has been totally passive for a good part of the race and in particular in the key moment: they went to the right only because LR chose to put them there because Bruni saw less wind in that direction. Would you say that this was a smart decision from Peter Burling? They took what they were forced to take, and it was good. With these boats, finding pressure plays a huge part in gaining or losing, especially if you are not on the faster boat. That's something you can easily see on the virtual eye, but the crews can only guess information watching the water and using their instinct while sailing at a crazy speed.

Considering the speed advantage of TR, the  Kiwi crew is actually tactically under performing, while on the boat handling part they are really showing a fantastic performance.

That is a really good spin on the facts.  But a number of flaws in your analysis.

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

But they did one error in rounding the mark in a race (ETNZ did the very same error of falling off the foils but they were in the middle of the race course where it was more windy and could recover in half the time, we are talking of minutes), and a single wrong call in the other and we are here 3 - 6.

You are placing too much emphasis on the outcome rather than the cause.  LR falling off the foils was an unforced error.  They had a four minute 2km lead, knew they were heading into light winds and failed to keep their boat foiling.  They had heaps of time and distance to use to make sure they didn't fall off the foils.  Compare that to ETNZ's approach when they reached the same zone - compare the lower angles they sailed.

ETNZ's fall from the foils was the outcome of a regulation match racing manoeuvre while behind - a move that most good match racers would have done but they miscalculated the affect of the wind carve up by LR and themselves.  The hole in the wind was created by the boats not by the environment.

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

In the last race for instance they made only one error if you want to call that so. It was more a choice, that in the end went wrong. ETNZ has been totally passive for a good part of the race and in particular in the key moment: they went to the right only because LR chose to put them there because Bruni saw less wind in that direction. Would you say that this was a smart decision from Peter Burling? They took what they were forced to take, and it was good. With these boats, finding pressure plays a huge part in gaining or losing, especially if you are not on the faster boat. That's something you can easily see on the virtual eye, but the crews can only guess information watching the water and using their instinct while sailing at a crazy speed.

I have no idea what race your were watching or onboard comms you were listening to but that isn't what I saw or heard.  ETNZ were far from "totally passive" - they kept the pressure on LR the whole way.  Yes with the advantage of a faster boat.  Their course management was great and they created as many opportunities as they could particularly to nail the right.

I'm not sure what TV feed you were watching but Bruni called that there was a hole on the right.  Spithall said protect the right - he didn't want to go left.  They went left.  Onboard ETNZ the comms were saying stay here there is pressure coming.  They weren't forced to go there but LR opened the gate for them when they could have closed it,

It was Bruni's call and he got it way wrong.  That aside Bruni also didn't cover when they were in front.  That is TWO big errors not one.  That is the problem with two helmsmen and when the pressure has gone on cracks have emerged.  Spithall's body language and voice tone shows it all.  He isn't happy with the decisions being made.

All that aside ETNZ have a faster boat.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Southerly 10 knots, easing to variable 5 knots late morning. Northeast 10 knots developing for a time late afternoon and early evening. Sea slight. Cloudy periods. Isolated afternoon showers.

Course choice will be either A or E.

More of this stress and I’ll need A&E

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

That downwind Kiwi speed frankly didn't show up.  They passed based on wind and shifts.  Upwind?  The boats are pretty well matched.

They have clearly changed the boat to be faster upwind (or LR have downwind). Last days the bigger difference has been upwind and that has allowed TR to bounce back when LR hit them and pass when they get a slightest chance.

It's not several knots, but probably 200 m on a beat, which turns to 1 km when TR wins the start.

Look how fast TR came back, when LR forced them to a bad leeward rounding and got a 200 m lead. And look how fast they spread the distance when they managed to pass.

Also the start was even and TR manage to get 20 m lead before the boundary. That was almost enough to roll LR at their leebow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

A speed difference should be evident most of the time if there is one.  But in heavier air where you'd expect the Kiwis to walk away, they didn't do it yesterday.  Both upwind and downwind, LR pretty much matched them.  I suspect the true speed advantage is much smaller than many people think it is.

 

You are not accounting for the match racing aspect.  LR have to fight hard to keep ETNZ behind them.  Suggest you do an analysis on how long ETNZ can sail in an unfavourable position and increase gauge compared to LR.  With the width of the course and the speed of the boats you don't get the same opportunity to use your speed to advantage.  At some stage you run out of room and have to tack into favourable or unfavourable air.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joakim said:

They have clearly changed the boat to be faster upwind (or LR have downwind). Last days the bigger difference has been upwind and that has allowed TR to bounce back when LR hit them and pass when they get a slightest chance.

It's not several knots, but probably 200 m on a beat, which turns to 1 km when TR wins the start.

Look how fast TR came back, when LR forced them to a bad leeward rounding and got a 200 m lead. And look how fast they spread the distance when they managed to pass.

Also the start was even and TR manage to get 20 m lead before the boundary. That was almost enough to roll LR at their leebow.

I still have to disagree.  We saw points yesterday where the Kiwis were ahead yesterday up wind, and they didn't just extend and disappear over the horizon.

I think these boats are really closely matched.  Even more - I think like you said, the Italians upwind tactics and speed have perhaps forced the Kiwis to give up some of the downwind speed to match them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

You are not accounting for the match racing aspect.  LR have to fight hard to keep ETNZ behind them.  Suggest you do an analysis on how long ETNZ can sail in an unfavourable position and increase gauge compared to LR.  With the width of the course and the speed of the boats you don't get the same opportunity to use your speed to advantage.  At some stage you run out of room and have to tack into favourable or unfavourable air.

You might be right.  I wish, after the cup, these guys were required to give up their performance data and show pictures and tours of the boats.  We're all dying to know what makes who faster and who slower.  It'd give us endless things to talk about.  I really wish we had more info on the San Fran Cup.  It kills me that we'll never know what really changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

I still have to disagree.  We saw points yesterday where the Kiwis were ahead yesterday up wind, and they didn't just extend and disappear over the horizon.

Only when LR was free to choose the side they wanted and TR tried its luck on the other side. LR choose the better side correctly except once.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grrr... said:

You might be right.  I wish, after the cup, these guys were required to give up their performance data and show pictures and tours of the boats.  We're all dying to know what makes who faster and who slower.  It'd give us endless things to talk about.  I really wish we had more info on the San Fran Cup.  It kills me that we'll never know what really changed.

You want see that.  I suspect ETNZ still have a few tricks up their sleeve that they will save for a future match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joakim said:

Only when LR was free to choose the side they wanted and TR tried its luck on the other side. LR choose the better side correctly except once.

Good point which also supports the contention that ETNZ has a faster boat.  They can still stay in touch even when sailing in more adverse conditions that LR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kate short for Bob said:

You want see that.  I suspect ETNZ still have a few tricks up their sleeve that they will save for a future match.

Of that I have no doubt.  I'm sure they are learning reams of info from going up against another fast boat.  And the Italians are damn fast.  Faster than anyone ever gave them credit for.  I think a lot of people wrote them off as semi-jokes early on.  You didn't hear much about them, and you heard a lot about the information sharing between them and NZ.  Especially when boat 2 looked like boat 1, a lot of people wrote them off because they assumed they weren't improving.

Turns out I think they proved pretty much everyone wrong.  Even if they lose, Italy has reason to stand damn proud.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

They weren't forced to go there but LR opened the gate for them when they could have closed it,

They can't close both options from TR with the same move. They can force TR to tack or let them cross behind. For the latter they can tack and take a loose cover or continue to right. Loose cover tack was marginal. TR might have been fast enough to pass.

Now they chose to protect the left side. TR had no options going left unless they wanted to sit in bad air all the way to the mark and then be forced to take the same mark or do an extra tack. That would have caused TR to be maybe 15 s behind at the mark.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

24 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I paid a lot of attention to the race last night.  And you know what?  That downwind Kiwi speed frankly didn't show up.

In that final leg ETNZ took off like a rocket, heading further down than LR (who followed them) and finishing 500m ahead. That was pretty impressive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

Of that I have no doubt.  I'm sure they are learning reams of info from going up against another fast boat.  And the Italians are damn fast.  Faster than anyone ever gave them credit for.  I think a lot of people wrote them off as semi-jokes early on.  You didn't hear much about them, and you heard a lot about the information sharing between them and NZ.  Especially when boat 2 looked like boat 1, a lot of people wrote them off because they assumed they weren't improving.

Turns out I think they proved pretty much everyone wrong.  Even if they lose, Italy has reason to stand damn proud.

Well I for one had them making it through to the final from the beginning.  The talk on the wharf in Auckland had ETNZ being very fast for a long long time and it didn't take a genius to work out that LR had the most similar boat.

I hear there are a couple of cheap booms for sale in Auckland.  Ineos won't be taking theirs home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Now they chose to protect the left side. TR had no options going left unless they wanted to sit in bad air all the way to the mark and then be forced to take the same mark or do an extra tack. That would have caused TR to be maybe 15 s behind at the mark.

But the comms onboard had ETNZ seeing pressure coming on the right.  Bruni saw the opposite for some reason.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Joakim said:

They have clearly changed the boat to be faster upwind (or LR have downwind). Last days the bigger difference has been upwind and that has allowed TR to bounce back when LR hit them and pass when they get a slightest chance.

It's not several knots, but probably 200 m on a beat, which turns to 1 km when TR wins the start.

Look how fast TR came back, when LR forced them to a bad leeward rounding and got a 200 m lead. And look how fast they spread the distance when they managed to pass.

Also the start was even and TR manage to get 20 m lead before the boundary. That was almost enough to roll LR at their leebow.

Looks to me that it is largely due to Etnz handling their boat better through manouvres.

First races they were faster in a straight line but slower through tacks in particular.

Now they are at least as fast through the tacks and the result is what we are seeing now.

It's not a massive difference and certainly not enough to just sail around them on such a narrow course.

But it's enough for them to stick with LR whilst behind and pounce as soon as LR make a mistake.

If LR sail a race with no major mistakes, they can certainly still win.

The difference is that ETNZ can clearly get away with major mistakes and still win - we have seen more than once.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

But the comms onboard had ETNZ seeing pressure coming on the right.  Bruni saw the opposite for some reason.  

Well then they were really lucky that LR allowed them to take their preferred side. It would have been easy for LR not to allow that. LR really gave them no options there but tack or loose a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Of that I have no doubt.  I'm sure they are learning reams of info from going up against another fast boat.  And the Italians are damn fast.  Faster than anyone ever gave them credit for.  I think a lot of people wrote them off as semi-jokes early on.  You didn't hear much about them, and you heard a lot about the information sharing between them and NZ.  Especially when boat 2 looked like boat 1, a lot of people wrote them off because they assumed they weren't improving.

Turns out I think they proved pretty much everyone wrong.  Even if they lose, Italy has reason to stand damn proud.

I never wrote them off as jokes.

However I assumed that what was effectively a new team (they hadn't been serious competitors since Valencia) would have too high of a mountain to climb to reach where ETNZ were.

Turns out I was wrong, they have been incredible -win or lose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I paid a lot of attention to the race last night.  And you know what?  That downwind Kiwi speed frankly didn't show up.  They passed based on wind and shifts.  Upwind?  The boats are pretty well matched.

A speed difference should be evident most of the time if there is one.  But in heavier air where you'd expect the Kiwis to walk away, they didn't do it yesterday.  Both upwind and downwind, LR pretty much matched them.  I suspect the true speed advantage is much smaller than many people think it is.

Watch the VMG's.  Regardless of the boat speed, the VMG's are usually similar unless there is a marked difference in wind direction or strength.

Yes, I agree with you about yesterday, I didn't see either the gap I saw in other races. I was quite surprised. But you can read all that I wrote even assuming perfectly matching speeds of the two boats (but let's not forget that in most of the races where NZ was ahead they could easily extend without any need to cover. And when behind they often could resist even in dirty air without losing too much distance. And that is synonymous with sheer speed.)

My take is that LR match racing is indeed very good. It could well have be 5 - 4 LR with just 1 bad decision less, and a little bit of luck more in finding wind to taking off (as happened to NZ in the same race)

Link to post
Share on other sites

TVNZ was saying this morning that it looks like either Course A or E today which I am sure LR will be happy with.  More likely a win the start win the race outcome and LR  have it over ETNZ in the pre-start.  Could there be another twist in the tail?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Joakim said:

They can't close both options from TR with the same move. They can force TR to tack or let them cross behind. For the latter they can tack and take a loose cover or continue to right. Loose cover tack was marginal. TR might have been fast enough to pass.

Now they chose to protect the left side. TR had no options going left unless they wanted to sit in bad air all the way to the mark and then be forced to take the same mark or do an extra tack. That would have caused TR to be maybe 15 s behind at the mark.

This

Thanks, mate, you saved my poor, struggling English, the need to explain exactly that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

TVNZ was saying this morning that it looks like either Course A or E today which I am sure LR will be happy with.  More likely a win the start win the race outcome and LR  have it over ETNZ in the pre-start.  Could there be another twist in the tail?

I fucking hope not, my heart has been pumping harder than most of the grinders.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, strider470 said:

Bruni is one of our best sailors ever. Have a look at his career. Very good results on laser, 49er, and more recently with the moths, where, despite his age and being involved only in recent years, he became one of the top sailors in this class. He is also quite an expert match racer. A remarkable result I daresay. His age doesn't help but I think he will have another go. Maybe swapping roles with Sibello. Who knows. In this campaign, I liked him very much.

Bruni is freakin awesome. Self deprecating humour, honest intelligent, articulate, (don't underestimate how difficult it is to speak your second or third language on tv). Our sport needs more people like that.

That interview when they walk through his house, (i had to get my wife to translate) is hilarious, and certainly shows his success over the years.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joakim said:

Bruni said something like it feels like trying to drown a fish by pushing it under water.

That was very funny, but the interviewer just didn't get it? Go back and look, the interviewer (was it Nathan) was trying to figure it out, and did a bad job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flags said:

Bruni is freakin awesome. Self deprecating humour, honest intelligent, articulate, (don't underestimate how difficult it is to speak your second or third language on tv). Our sport needs more people like that.

That interview when they walk through his house, (i had to get my wife to translate) is hilarious, and certainly shows his success over the years.

His comparison of defending ETNZ to trying to drown a fish in water was gold...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flags said:

That was very funny, but the interviewer just didn't get it? Go back and look, the interviewer (was it Nathan) was trying to figure it out, and did a bad job.

Yes it was funny but nobody got it.

I wonder is it un'espressione italiana?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bob202 said:

His derogatory comments about TNZ after beating them in the RR stages in Bermuda shows the sort of winner he is. A gloating peacock. It was a comeuppance for OR to lose key races through unforced errors after he'd banged on so much about how he, Slingsby and Langford were a better combo of tactics and on-boat communication than TNZ.

Any idea what day this was? I'm trying to find it on YouTube, thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Yes it was funny but nobody got it.

I wonder is it un'espressione italiana?

Yeah I think it was, but all the same, it actually translates pretty well :D, I was laughing.... Might steal use it sometime...

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I fucking hope not, my heart has been pumping harder than most of the grinders.

Me too and add in lack of sleep, over excitement, lack of maneuverability, not being able to have a drink or shout and dancing in the dark. And I still can’t get enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Any idea what day this was? I'm trying to find it on YouTube, thanks

From memory it was in the press conference after OR won the last RR race against ETNZ which meant OR had that extra point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

Me too and add in lack of sleep, over excitement, lack of maneuverability, not being able to have a drink or shout and dancing in the dark. And I still can’t get enough. 

and mum manages to sleep through all of that  ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

To me it looks more and more like LR is trying to keep a wild tiger caged when they're ahead. Once it gets out, all hell breaks loose.

Meaning that every mistake (minor or not) by LR is immediately and severely punished, whereas TR's speed conveniently masks such mistakes for the Kiwis

^^^^ This.

ETNZ's speed gives them much greater margin for error and eliminates LR's.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day wishes to all of you who’ve made it to Wednesday. 
 

One race win for LRPP, where Checco pulls off a stunning move followed by a win from ETNZ to retain the AC. Then a great party for everyone. 
 

Meanwhile, back in the bunker, I will cheer wildly. :D
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

His comparison of defending ETNZ to trying to drown a fish in water was gold...

Yeah, I cracked up immediately and I couldn't believe Nathan (a SORT OF native English speaker) didn't get it too.

You gotta love Bruni in interviews: relaxed, witty and interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Tough break for LR about how big and sudden that wind shift was but damn: That race was incredibly good!!! 

Thats one of those things that years of sailing at a location gives you, Pete and Blair probably could never explain why they went that way, but it just felt right at the time. Maybe I don't give them enough credit for the situation, but local knowledge sometimes is more instinctive than anything else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flags said:

Thats one of those things that years of sailing at a location gives you, Pete and Blair probably could never explain why they went that way, but it just felt right at the time. Maybe I don't give them enough credit for the situation, but local knowledge sometimes is more instinctive than anything else. 

It’s also possible they got forced by LR back to the right, then got a hugely lucky break out of it. That righty was huge! 
 

Regardless, the racing was brilliant! Best AC Match Race that I can recall, beautiful boats and awesome teams! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flags said:

Pete and Blair probably could never explain why they went that way, but it just felt right at the time.

Sure they could and without any hesitation. LR gave them no other options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s also possible they got forced by LR back to the right, then got a hugely lucky break out of it. That righty was huge! 
 

Regardless, the racing was brilliant! Best AC Match Race that I can recall, beautiful boats and awesome teams! 

++

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s also possible they got forced by LR back to the right, then got a hugely lucky break out of it. That righty was huge! 

They were talking all race long about an expected left shift. In that case you don't need to take a flier but just be to the left of your competition,  which LR did. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind today or no? My sleep depravation is becoming an issue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s also possible they got forced by LR back to the right, then got a hugely lucky break out of it. That righty was huge! 

ETNZ saw it coming.  You heard them say it on the onboard comms.  Bruni only saw the hole immediately in front not the breeze ahead.  Who knows maybe the 5 Olympic Class sailors on ETNZ were looking at flags flying on some key landmarks onshore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Flags said:

Thats one of those things that years of sailing at a location gives you, Pete and Blair probably could never explain why they went that way, but it just felt right at the time. Maybe I don't give them enough credit for the situation, but local knowledge sometimes is more instinctive than anything else. 

They went that way cos they didn't have a lot of choice.

It was either tack or likely sail into a cover position.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kiwing said:

Course A, E.

Jimmy wins start and elbows their way to 2 wins => 6 5?

Would love to see that but with the teams so even (for different reasons) I’m guessing either a split or ETNZ winning in the first race. Coin toss! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

They were talking all race long about an expected left shift. In that case you don't need to take a flier but just be to the left of your competition,  which LR did. 

Have you looked at the local geography?  They may have been talking about a FORECAST left shift as the wind was forecast to go further left as time progressed.  Remember they delayed the start when it was 19 knots but at about 260-280 degrees.  It then swung left 20-30 degrees which enabled a slight adjustment on the course and the race to start.

If you draw a line from the West Coast across Auckland and the course you will identify some geographic features that make one end of the course behave differently.  Every local sailor knows what happens close to North Head.

Link to post
Share on other sites