AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

Bravi Kiwi, deserved victory. We fight at our best but it was not enough. I congratulate to all of you (except Mrs Tina Symmans of course ;) ). I hope you will continue to honor the legacy of the America's Cup and your competitors also in AC37, and I'm sure that all the rumours we heard about a DoG challenge is simply not true.
Orgoglioso di Luna Rossa. Potevamo quasi vincere anche con un pizzico in meno di velocità. Grazie ragazzi!

• Like 15

Congratulations, where it’s due, kinda sad it’s over though :-( too long to wait till next time and we never got to see them race over 15 kts so the potential performance  was never on show

enjoy the win!

To our Italian friends you came with a very strong program and have played your part in an exciting series. Your country can rightly be proud of your efforts

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Bravi Kiwi, deserved victory. We fight at our best but it was not enough. I congratulate to all of you (except Mrs Tina Symmans of course ;) ). I hope you will continue to honor the legacy of the America's Cup and your competitors also in AC37, and I'm sure that all the rumours we heard about a DoG challenge is simply not true.
Orgoglioso di Luna Rossa. Potevamo quasi vincere anche con un pizzico in meno di velocità. Grazie ragazzi!

Your team has done your country proud. 

3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Prada has nothing to apologise for, magnificent opponent and fought right to the end.... absolute quality sailing team (you can leave the legal pricks back in Sardinia please?) well done mate

• Like 3

Well done ETNZ... truly did save the best till last.

Forza Luna Rossa.  Tough, uncompromising competitors on and off the water - the qualities of a true challenger.

Wherever the next Cup happens, you must be there!

If Mr dalton does turn his back on Auckland, then your will be our champion.

Strider and all the Luna Rossa fans.  Thank you for being here.  You have lifted the tone and excitement of this forum.

All the best... now time for a large scotch!

• Like 5

Congrats ETNZ !

And BTW, I've just handed over a challenge on behalf of the Royal Fiji Yacht Squadron, we are in line as #69.

Dalts kissing, embracing, and waving the flag, and seems to be limping. Has he fallen of his bike, again?

• Like 2

7-3 sounds a lot more emphatic than it really was. Remember this one guys, this was a good tussle, closest in a long time...

If AC 37 is as close as this, we’d be lucky!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Indio said:

You can make a pile of steaming shit apetising...

If I could do that, you still would have some hope. ;) 

• Like 3

Can somebody explain to me how the commentators are saying that LR won the start when they were at the wrong end of the line headed in the wrong direction at the start?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Monster Mash said:

Can somebody explain to me how the commentators are saying that LR won the start when they were at the wrong end of the line headed in the wrong direction at the start?

Because they weren’t 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, 167149 said:

anyone want to give strider a call and wake him up.......... sure he'd hate to miss this

You joke but I really didn't hear the alarm clock! Luckily I woike up right before the start!! :D

• Like 7

Congrats ETNZ. well done! Gallant effort from LRPP. Tunred out to be much better racing than I thought it would be!

• Like 1
Just now, strider470 said:

You joke but I really didn't hear the alarm clock! Luckily I woike up right before the start!! :D

missed your enthusiasm ............. stay cool

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Your team has done your country proud. 

Thanks mate.

Enoy your deserved victory now! Time to go to the Kiwi victory party!

• Like 1

Congrats TNZ last race done in style.

LR thanks for a good series. Some truly classic races, from a team that gas won the respect of the tough NZ supporters. 

Max - come back. 

Francesco - come back

The young team from LRPP come back

• Like 5

Sure hope Francesco is right... and we see Luna Rossa back, they're a great team.

( ((
  \ =\
 __\_ `-\
(____))(  \----
(____)) _  
(____))
(____))____/----
:)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jurop88 said:

congrats to the Kiwi, best AC of recent history. For once at least, proud to be Italian.

Every reason to be, win or lose your guys were amazing.

• Like 1

Truly an impressive package from LR..... feel for them and an outstanding display of sportsmanship..... Cekko & JS have gone up heaps in my estimation, I do sincerely hope they come back - what a hell of a base line package to start the next cycle from......

Congrats to ETNZ and all our friends in Wellington, Christchurch, and Auckland.  Bravo!

Well sailed, and well represented Italy, Prada, Pirelli.  Hope to see you on the card next time!

There's no need to start a new thread stating Luna Rossa, Americas Cup holder.

The current Emirates Team New Zealand one is still correct. 

Four more years lads, four more years. 

• Like 2

Congratulation to ETNZ for the victory ! What a great fight! 

We lost, but I could never be more proud of my team ! 

Forza Luna Rossa ! 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Salty Seacock said:

That still hurts hearing gregan say that to the AB's Salty..... still hurts ....

Strider. We know what's its like to be on the receiving end but LRPP can hold their heads high. I was fortunate enough to see the LRPP supporters when LR dispensed with the Americans and then the poms. They were loud in support for their team but the first to honor their competitors. These are the same young people who will be deeply disappointed today. They won my respect.

If you ever come to NZ I will buy you a beer or vino and I am sure I will not be the only one

Barnyb

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Hey Salty I have never abused you for hijacking my TNZ thread, but today I forgive you. Drink plenty like me and enjoy

• Like 1

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, Canadians, Brazillians, Germans, Aussies and the rest of the world.

I got richer in meeting you guys. Let's keep in touch!

If by any chance any of you come to Italy, I hope we can meet for a good glass of wine and a dish of pasta.

• Like 22
15 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I think LR would have easily won the cup against any other defender.

• Like 1

Brilliant, we get to do this again in Auckland in 4 (or 3?) years.

A lot of things were great this time, hopefully with the class proving out (to most) and a bit of fine tuning (and no pandemics!) it can be even bigger and better next time round.

Impressive sailing by LRPP.

Well done Team NZ!

I want to congratulate in particular with @Forourselves who is a diehard Kiwi fan.

We had many fight here on the forum but I always respect people proud of their Country.

Good job mate. Deserved victory. Now time for the party!

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, DLT said:

Boring end to a generally boring event. 

You can lower the casket lid back down.....

• Like 1

So, last time Dalton was hidden away in a boat with no signal to receive the desired CoR.

Did we miss that part? Or has it changed how CoR is determined?

2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italian, French, Dutch, Americans, Canadians, Brazillians, Germans, Aussies and the rest of the worls.

If by any chance any of you come to Italy, I hope we can meet for a good glass of wine and a dish of pasta.

I hope we can make this happen my friend. 

Congratulations for a brilliant challenge 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

I want to congratulate in particular with @Forourselves who is a diehard Kiwi fan.

We had many fight here on the forum but I always respect people proud of their Country.

Are you Italy based?

I’m UK and it’s 4.45 now. Not looking like sleeping now!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italian, French, Dutch, Americans, Canadians, Brazillians, Germans, Aussies and the rest of the worls.

Was great chatting with you, be proud of your team!

• Like 1

Great show by ETNZ, sailing a whole regatta in wind strengths where they were likely at their relative weakest, and yet still winning.

And gutsy performance from LR tactically wringing everything they could out of a boat that was a click slower - to the point that they made for an initially tight competition and a final scoreline that somewhat flatters ETNZ.  I really hope that Mr Bertelli stays in the great game, he has been just about the classiest competitor in the whole history of the cup, and it's rather sad he has never (yet) held it aloft.  They are a very strong team and I hope they continue into AC37.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, YM74 said:

Are you Italy based?

I’m UK and it’s 4.45 now. Not looking like sleeping now!

Yes Sir. I live between Milan and Naples!

25 minutes ago, jurop88 said:

congrats to the Kiwi, best AC of recent history. For once at least, proud to be Italian.

You have every right to be proud, they were the best challenger by some margin 

Just now, hasmat said:

Nathan Outeridge’s has some big and exciting decisions ahead. 

Ain't that the truth.... I really hope Artemis comes back...

• Like 3

Great win from Burling and the boys........so happy, and relieved......Huge  congrats to team Luna Rossa, damn good effort from them, really hope they come back. Really enjoyed the banter with Strider and the Italian supporters in here......commiserations lads......

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Foyle said:

I really hope that Mr Bertelli stays in the great game, he has been just about the classiest competitor in the whole history of the cup, and it's rather sad he has never (yet) held it aloft.

Agree - when the thought of the Italians winning crossed the mind (briefly of course!) earlier in the series, the consolation would be that there could hardly be a more deserving country to look after the cup for a bit.

11 minutes ago, JRC026 said:

No Guarantee next Cup will be in Auckland or even NZ, despite TNZ winning.  

It will be in Auckland.

https://garageproject.co.nz/collections/beer/products/dfa

Well done NZ! Great boat well sailed.

Good challenge LR, really hope they win it next time.... even if there is an Australian team.... we can win it the cycle after next!

Couple of things I'd like to see before they pack these beasts away:

Nautical mile record (currently 55.3kts), might be touch and go.

D class record (51.4kts).

24 hour record - 39kts avg, these beasts could beat that on a reach in 10kts.

Would be amazing on a Coastal classic - current race record is only about 24kts average over course.

For AC37 I'd like to see them cut down the class to 45ft length to reduce wind shadow on these tight courses, crew of 5 or 6, additional fixed lift foil under hull to assist getting up on foils before coming clear of water in marginal conditions and more easily internationally campaigned.  Maybe a retractable keel for oh shit moments to allow righting while making foil arms lighter and for lifting and less draggy when submerged (no bulb).

15 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Thank you so much! I really wish I was in Auckland at the Viaduct with the thousands of Kiwi's down there, but work beckoned. So I'm now watching it on TV. It is what it is.

Congratulations Italy and Luna Rossa on a hard fought and well executed campaign. Luna Rossa were a more than worthy challenger. They really forced the Kiwi boys to get the best out of their boat.

But in the end, we did just that.

Looking forward to the future, but for now...Cheers boys!

800076ddeaf444064430164e8a168084.jpg

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Strider. We know what's its like to be on the receiving end but LRPP can hold their heads high. I was fortunate enough to see the LRPP supporters when LR dispensed with the Americans and then the poms. They were loud in support for their team but the first to honor their competitors. These are the same young people who will be deeply disappointed today. They won my respect.

If you ever come to NZ I will buy you a beer or vino and I am sure I will not be the only one

Barnyb

Thanks mate

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Thanks mate

Yeah I remember 2003, 2007 and 2013, which were not fun years. San Francisco was a real kick in the guts and I really though ETNZ were dead in the water. I really do know what your going through. 

The TV were saying that LR were confirmed to coming back, so you might get your revenge. 

Losing the cup is not fun, but the Italian fans were a real class act. You guys will be welcomed back with open arms 

1 minute ago, mako23 said:

Our American friends in this forum seem very silent, you would of  though they would be congratulating us.

Congratulations !!  And mind those typos !!

2 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Congratulations !!  And mind those typos !!

This post was more about some of the more combative users from your fair country