AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

Just now, dg_sailingfan said:

BREAKING NEWS

According to Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron CEO Hayden Porter a Challenge has been received for the next America's Cup!

From Whom?

Most American America's Cup enthusiasts probably just hope this is all a bad dream and they will wake up in the morning and think Magic is still in the running. Well done, NZ but I feel for you Prada.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So do we think RYS is the received challenger? 

Inquiring minds would love to know..... as would the rest of the world of sailing

2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

NZ PM Jacinda Ardern carved to Daltons demands

They said they hadn't received any demands.....but were going to provide funding to keep the team together, as long as the cup is held in NZ.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That line can sound so weird to Italians.

"Water" in Italian is the most common word for "toilet bowl" :D  :D

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, YM74 said:

So, last time Dalton was hidden away in a boat with no signal to receive the desired CoR.

Did we miss that part? Or has it changed how CoR is determined?

That is not how it worked!

The challenge is between yachtclubs, as stipulated in de Deed of Gift, and usually the respective Commodores will be ready to do the deed.

Dalton's or rather ETNZ's influence depends on their contract with the RNZYS.

We will hear soon who the Challenger is, and later what the agreed conditions will be.

Meanwhile we will speculate and spread plenty false info here on SA.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Meanwhile we will speculate and spread plenty false info here on SA.

Isn't that what we do best? 

^_^

Well dun boath teemz! 2 ov the best teemz  in enny koad, enny endever, ever.

Rayss 9 woz the best AC rayss Ive seen in my hole lyf.

LR was a massiv thret, keeping ahed for a big chunk ov moast rayssez.

And yet, TNZ hav set the bar hyer than it haz ever been, and they kleerd it.

Shor teem, bote bilderz, dezynerz ... and of korss the leederz and support starff.

Bravo, forza, viva, et Encore !!!

And az to NZ for beeing sutsh grate hoasts, I hav no werds.

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

They said they hadn't received any demands.....but were going to provide funding to keep the team together, as long as the cup is held in NZ.

Nuthing spolyz a good theery lyk hard fakts. 

(sumwun rote "NZ PM Jacinda Ardern carved to Daltons demands")

• Like 3

When do you think the RNZYS/ETNZ will reveal the new Challenger of Record?

In Bermuda Grant Dalton/Matteo de Nora did it at the Press Conference?

1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Probably here? 

31 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Our American friends in this forum seem very silent, you would of  though they would be congratulating us.

No problem here, beautifully run cup & well earned victory, savor it well, been up front from early days with support for LR but slowly & surely the superior design came to the fore. (hope it wasn't wrong to lift a glass of the EW in a toast)

And I would say to those idiots constantly bagging on the boats & format, it's not rose colored shades they look to the past with, it's a goddamn welding hood.

If anyone doubts what this means to NZ, we are now over an hour of coverage taken over the national news broadcast. Clearly nothing else has happened on the planet today, and if it has, we dont give a fuck. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Dunno - depends who & how fast they want to announce it.... I'm picking at the presser - need to take advantage of the interest.....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Piet56 said:

Dunno - depends who & how fast they want to announce it.... I'm picking at the presser - need to take advantage of the interest.....

I am guessing too but we both could be wrong!

1 minute ago, kenergy said:

If anyone doubts what this means to NZ, we are now over an hour of coverage taken over the national news broadcast. Clearly nothing else has happened on the planet today, and if it has, we dont give a fuck. 

Where!

Just now, Forourselves said:

Keelboats, foiling multihulls, foiling monohulls, they've just killed it in everything. These 75's are about to get a whole lot faster! These first iterations were very much prototypes, in the next cycle we'll see these beasts get even faster! 

Agreed

Keelboats, foiling multihulls, foiling monohulls, they've just killed it in everything. These 75's are about to get a whole lot faster! These first iterations were very much prototypes, in the next cycle we'll see these beasts get even faster! 

• Like 1

6 a.m..... Sailing on the box & loving every frikkin second of it..... should be mullahd by smoko methinks...... What a day - St Patricks day as well..... this is gonna hurt!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kenergy said:

TVNZ channel 1

I meant where else in the world.

Just walked in to the other room TNZ on was what dickhead that JT is, glad I have been watching Facebook.

29 minutes ago, snaerk said:

Nuthing spolyz a good theery lyk hard fakts.

Indeed........

Feeling bummed there's no racing tomorrow......and none for quite some time......

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

Indeed........

Feeling bummed there's no racing tomorrow......and none for quite some time......

Yeah, would have been nice to see these Boats in 15+ Knots of breeze!

But we have SailGP where pretty much everyone who raced here hoops over to Bermuda. Can Burling/Tuke replicate their AC Success into the F50's? Will be a great fun to watch?

20 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

I meant where else in the world.

Just walked in to the other room TNZ on was what dickhead that JT is, glad I have been watching Facebook.

Oh, gotcha,  yeah, exactly, where else. 

1 hour ago, Kiwing said:

I must say you Italians put up an amazing fight.  Really worthy opponents!  It is a pity there is no silver medal.  But it is said you will be back!

Congratulations to LunRossa and her fans !!

Max Sirena was very positive in quotes to various interviewers during the victory celebrations that they  would be back. Offhand comment? Hard to believe he would not be so positive without a word first with boss man Patrizio Bertelli.

5 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Max Sirena was very positive in quotes to various interviewers during the victory celebrations that they  would be back. Offhand comment? Hard to believe he would not be so positive without a word first with boss man Patrizio Bertelli.

I'd read that as a good indication that they will keep the Ac75s

12 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

But we have SailGP where pretty much everyone who raced here hoops over to Bermuda. Can Burling/Tuke replicate their AC Success into the F50's? Will be a great fun to watch?

No, no one gives a fuck about the FailGP, no matter who is sailing in it.

Nice that some AC sailors continue to get big bucks, but turning the sport I love into a circus is only good for non-sailors.

A clown show.

• Like 3

As per AC.com:

"The prize giving will be held on the America’s Cup Village Main Stage (Te Wero Island) at 730pm NZT and will be streamed live on americascup.com

Press Conference will be held about 30 minutes after the end of prize giving."

Any sign of the prizegiving yet?

4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

As per AC.com:

"The prize giving will be held on the America’s Cup Village Main Stage (Te Wero Island) at 730pm NZT and will be streamed live on americascup.com

Done. I was there

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

That's a dream I cling to... an Aussie team next time around. ;)

Max. That's a dream, I and others cling to too.

Trouble is, we have been clinging on so bloody long our fingers are in danger of atrophying.

Wottonthehell happened to the Lucky Country which with Bondy's persistence pried the Cup loose from its NYYC oblivion?

1 minute ago, barfy said:

Still fucking waiting. I hear there was drinking from the cup, etc. But nothing on AC.com. I'm beginning to get peeved

I hear the prize giving went down on tv, but I can't find it..any one with Linky?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, barfy said:

Still fucking waiting. I hear there was drinking from the cup, etc. But nothing on AC.com. I'm beginning to get peeved

Just back from the Viaduct.

Everyone got a lift & a drink, including the shore crew.

Bit sadly the crowd started fading after the first few, at least half the crowd & not much clapping by the end.

What a spoiler! I have been watching the races on YT when I wake up. Thus srarting from about three hours after real time. This time it was still live showing the celebration before I saw the race.

Well not much to see in the race, which was over soon after the start although LR won the start. Nice to see TR in a more covering mode.

Congratulations to NZ!

One guy I really take my hat off to is Dan Bernasconi.

When the concept of a large, fully-foiling monohull was first promoted I was sceptical. I figured that the power required to get up on foils would be high but that at least a wing sail could provide that power.

To then learn that a double-skin soft sail would be used made me even more sceptical, but I acknowledged that if they pulled it off then it would a huge advance in sailing technology and capability.

To have now achieved what Dan set out to do puts him up there with any of the great yacht designers. In fact, what he has achieved may put him at the top.

I know many may disagree and cite designers like Herreshoff,  Fife or Stephens, but in my opinion they all improved existing designs without achieving the quantum leap that these foiling monohulls have achieved.

Congratulations to Dan and the entire ETNZ (and Di, I won't have to water-board you anymore at family get-togethers).

• Like 19
7 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

As per AC.com:

i watched on www.americascup.com and also on TVNZ.

Pretty bloody impressive. A bit overcooked but lightyears better than '83 which had no TV coverage. At that prizegiving at a Newport mansion NYYC officers surrendered the Cup to the Ozzers.  They also awarded the America's Cup Plate, a flattened auto hub, to Australian boat designer Ben Lexcen.

3 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Done. I was there

Bruno Trouble confirmed at the end of this Press that there would be another Press Conference in the next few Days on the "Future of the Cup".

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Bruno Trouble confirmed at the end of this Press that there would be another Press Conference in the next few Days on the "Future of the Cup".

Seems they want to move forward with some speed, which is good

45 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Well not much to see in the race, which was over soon after the start although LR won the start. Nice to see TR in a more covering mode.

LR won the start?  Which race were you watching?  LR wanted the right hand windward side, TR took it off them.

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Max. That's a dream, I and others cling to too.

Trouble is, we have been clinging on so bloody long our fingers are in danger of atrophying.

Wottonthehell happened to the Lucky Country which with Bondy's persistence pried the Cup loose from its NYYC oblivion?

Good question!  I thought Bob Oatley (RIP) would get a team together, but for whatever reasons it didn't happen.

I guess we just need a sailing fanatic with very deep pockets to step forward, but I have no idea who that might be. :unsure:

39 minutes ago, Count Drac said:

One guy I really take my hat off to is Dan Bernasconi.

When the concept of a large, fully-foiling monohull was first promoted I was sceptical. I figured that the power required to get up on foils would be high but that at least a wing sail could provide that power.

To then learn that a double-skin soft sail would be used made me even more sceptical, but I acknowledged that if they pulled it off then it would a huge advance in sailing technology and capability.

To have now achieved what Dan set out to do puts him up there with any of the great yacht designers. In fact, what he has achieved may put him at the top.

I know many may disagree and cite designers like Herreshoff,  Fife or Stephens, but in my opinion they all improved existing designs without achieving the quantum leap that these foiling monohulls have achieved.

Congratulations to Dan and the entire ETNZ (and Di, I won't have to water-board you anymore at family get-togethers).

Booms are gone.  

58 minutes ago, hoom said:

Bit sadly the crowd started fading after the first few, at least half the crowd & not much clapping by the end.

and they all walked away staring at their phones and facebook.

After they took their selfies "I was there", they don't need to be anymore.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

LR won the start?  Which race were you watching?  LR wanted the right hand side, TR took it off them.

It's almost impossible to stop the other boat from tacking at the start. LR was leading accross the line and had a good leebow situation. They could have tacked, at least when TR tacked.

LR didn't win the start by a big marging. That would have been e.g shutting TR from getting to the line. But they still won it. 

Then TR was faster or got better wind from right. 

TR had the luxury not needing to win the start. They just needed a free line and the boat does the rest. It was a smart move for them, but most likely TR would have won the first cross with a bigger margin, if the places in the start were swapped.

1 minute ago, rantro said:

Either that, or they had to prepare their excuses for not being at work today?  :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, barfy said:

I hear the prize giving went down on tv, but I can't find it..any one with Linky?

It's on the tail end of the entire Day 7 live stream for the racing on YouTube. It kicks off at 2hrs, 54 mins

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Either that, or they had to prepare their excuses for not being at work today?  :D

They would go to the celebration, take a selfie, post it on facebook and go home early.

8 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Wow, I wonder if this will be counted in any future carbon neutral event?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Think that honour goes to Sailbydate.

Linky or it's stinky.

24 minutes ago, rantro said:

There were a LOT of ppl in the bars around the Viaduct though.

Sailing anarchy posts have become a Sess pit of bitterness! Moaning about boundaries , were you not praising that when Larry introduced it? Moaning about lack of wind, how is that the kiwis fault? Thats sailing!  Ive looked at this site less and less as times gone on. when we had the IACC boats races would be 2 hours long with boats meeting 2 or 3 times, essentially pre race was great viewing and then that was it, fast boat gone! At least now we have the added tension of will the boats be able to foil? Will this lead disappear if they sail into a light patch. you can frame it anyway you want but I enjoyed the tech, enjoyed the tension of the what if's in the races and I hope they stick with these boats and push the boundaries of what they can do next time. But one thing I wont be back for is the sailing anarchy shit talk

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Neverwas said:

But one thing I wont be back for is the sailing anarchy shit talk

Babies-Should-Be-Picked-Up-Every-Time-Th

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
7 minutes ago, Neverwas said:

But one thing I wont be back for is the sailing anarchy shit talk

We already lost the Random Pic Thread, do you really want to destroy SA for good?

3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

That's a dream I cling to... an Aussie team next time around. ;)

That would be great. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Neverwas said:

Sailing anarchy posts have become a Sess pit of bitterness! Moaning ...

Nevertheless, look and you will find...

image.png.99279f556b07e7187e9f7b3e3f4c6661.png

... pearls of wisdom. ;)

• Like 2