AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

Keelboats, foiling multihulls, foiling monohulls, they've just killed it in everything. These 75's are about to get a whole lot faster! These first iterations were very much prototypes, in the next cycle we'll see these beasts get even faster! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

Indeed........

Feeling bummed there's no racing tomorrow......and none for quite some time......

Yeah, would have been nice to see these Boats in 15+ Knots of breeze!

But we have SailGP where pretty much everyone who raced here hoops over to Bermuda. Can Burling/Tuke replicate their AC Success into the F50's? Will be a great fun to watch?

20 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

I meant where else in the world.

Just walked in to the other room TNZ on was what dickhead that JT is, glad I have been watching Facebook.

Oh, gotcha,  yeah, exactly, where else. 

1 hour ago, Kiwing said:

I must say you Italians put up an amazing fight.  Really worthy opponents!  It is a pity there is no silver medal.  But it is said you will be back!

Congratulations to LunRossa and her fans !!

Max Sirena was very positive in quotes to various interviewers during the victory celebrations that they  would be back. Offhand comment? Hard to believe he would not be so positive without a word first with boss man Patrizio Bertelli.

5 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Max Sirena was very positive in quotes to various interviewers during the victory celebrations that they  would be back. Offhand comment? Hard to believe he would not be so positive without a word first with boss man Patrizio Bertelli.

I'd read that as a good indication that they will keep the Ac75s

As per AC.com:

"The prize giving will be held on the America’s Cup Village Main Stage (Te Wero Island) at 730pm NZT and will be streamed live on americascup.com

Press Conference will be held about 30 minutes after the end of prize giving."

Any sign of the prizegiving yet?

4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

As per AC.com:

"The prize giving will be held on the America’s Cup Village Main Stage (Te Wero Island) at 730pm NZT and will be streamed live on americascup.com

Done. I was there

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

That's a dream I cling to... an Aussie team next time around. ;)

Max. That's a dream, I and others cling to too.

Trouble is, we have been clinging on so bloody long our fingers are in danger of atrophying.

Wottonthehell happened to the Lucky Country which with Bondy's persistence pried the Cup loose from its NYYC oblivion?

1 minute ago, barfy said:

Still fucking waiting. I hear there was drinking from the cup, etc. But nothing on AC.com. I'm beginning to get peeved

I hear the prize giving went down on tv, but I can't find it..any one with Linky?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, barfy said:

Still fucking waiting. I hear there was drinking from the cup, etc. But nothing on AC.com. I'm beginning to get peeved

Just back from the Viaduct.

Everyone got a lift & a drink, including the shore crew.

Bit sadly the crowd started fading after the first few, at least half the crowd & not much clapping by the end.

What a spoiler! I have been watching the races on YT when I wake up. Thus srarting from about three hours after real time. This time it was still live showing the celebration before I saw the race.

Well not much to see in the race, which was over soon after the start although LR won the start. Nice to see TR in a more covering mode.

Congratulations to NZ!

One guy I really take my hat off to is Dan Bernasconi.

When the concept of a large, fully-foiling monohull was first promoted I was sceptical. I figured that the power required to get up on foils would be high but that at least a wing sail could provide that power.

To then learn that a double-skin soft sail would be used made me even more sceptical, but I acknowledged that if they pulled it off then it would a huge advance in sailing technology and capability.

To have now achieved what Dan set out to do puts him up there with any of the great yacht designers. In fact, what he has achieved may put him at the top.

I know many may disagree and cite designers like Herreshoff,  Fife or Stephens, but in my opinion they all improved existing designs without achieving the quantum leap that these foiling monohulls have achieved.

Congratulations to Dan and the entire ETNZ (and Di, I won't have to water-board you anymore at family get-togethers).

• Like 19
7 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

As per AC.com:

i watched on www.americascup.com and also on TVNZ.

Pretty bloody impressive. A bit overcooked but lightyears better than '83 which had no TV coverage. At that prizegiving at a Newport mansion NYYC officers surrendered the Cup to the Ozzers.  They also awarded the America's Cup Plate, a flattened auto hub, to Australian boat designer Ben Lexcen.

3 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Done. I was there

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Bruno Trouble confirmed at the end of this Press that there would be another Press Conference in the next few Days on the "Future of the Cup".

Seems they want to move forward with some speed, which is good

45 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Well not much to see in the race, which was over soon after the start although LR won the start. Nice to see TR in a more covering mode.

LR won the start?  Which race were you watching?  LR wanted the right hand windward side, TR took it off them.

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Max. That's a dream, I and others cling to too.

Trouble is, we have been clinging on so bloody long our fingers are in danger of atrophying.

Wottonthehell happened to the Lucky Country which with Bondy's persistence pried the Cup loose from its NYYC oblivion?

Good question!  I thought Bob Oatley (RIP) would get a team together, but for whatever reasons it didn't happen.

I guess we just need a sailing fanatic with very deep pockets to step forward, but I have no idea who that might be. :unsure:

39 minutes ago, Count Drac said:

When the concept of a large, fully-foiling monohull was first promoted I was sceptical. I figured that the power required to get up on foils would be high but that at least a wing sail could provide that power.

To then learn that a double-skin soft sail would be used made me even more sceptical, but I acknowledged that if they pulled it off then it would a huge advance in sailing technology and capability.

To have now achieved what Dan set out to do puts him up there with any of the great yacht designers. In fact, what he has achieved may put him at the top.

I know many may disagree and cite designers like Herreshoff,  Fife or Stephens, but in my opinion they all improved existing designs without achieving the quantum leap that these foiling monohulls have achieved.

Congratulations to Dan and the entire ETNZ (and Di, I won't have to water-board you anymore at family get-togethers).

Booms are gone.  

5 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

LR won the start?  Which race were you watching?  LR wanted the right hand side, TR took it off them.

It's almost impossible to stop the other boat from tacking at the start. LR was leading accross the line and had a good leebow situation. They could have tacked, at least when TR tacked.

LR didn't win the start by a big marging. That would have been e.g shutting TR from getting to the line. But they still won it. 

Then TR was faster or got better wind from right. 

TR had the luxury not needing to win the start. They just needed a free line and the boat does the rest. It was a smart move for them, but most likely TR would have won the first cross with a bigger margin, if the places in the start were swapped.

1 minute ago, rantro said:

and they all walked away staring at their phones and facebook.

After they took their selfies "I was there", they don't need to be anymore.

Either that, or they had to prepare their excuses for not being at work today?  :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, barfy said:

I hear the prize giving went down on tv, but I can't find it..any one with Linky?

It's on the tail end of the entire Day 7 live stream for the racing on YouTube. It kicks off at 2hrs, 54 mins

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, rantro said:

and they all walked away staring at their phones and facebook.

After they took their selfies "I was there", they don't need to be anymore.

There were a LOT of ppl in the bars around the Viaduct though.

Sailing anarchy posts have become a Sess pit of bitterness! Moaning about boundaries , were you not praising that when Larry introduced it? Moaning about lack of wind, how is that the kiwis fault? Thats sailing!  Ive looked at this site less and less as times gone on. when we had the IACC boats races would be 2 hours long with boats meeting 2 or 3 times, essentially pre race was great viewing and then that was it, fast boat gone! At least now we have the added tension of will the boats be able to foil? Will this lead disappear if they sail into a light patch. you can frame it anyway you want but I enjoyed the tech, enjoyed the tension of the what if's in the races and I hope they stick with these boats and push the boundaries of what they can do next time. But one thing I wont be back for is the sailing anarchy shit talk

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

That's a dream I cling to... an Aussie team next time around. ;)

That would be great. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Neverwas said:

Sailing anarchy posts have become a Sess pit of bitterness! Moaning ...

Nevertheless, look and you will find...

image.png.99279f556b07e7187e9f7b3e3f4c6661.png

... pearls of wisdom. ;)

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Neverwas said:

But one thing I wont be back for is the sailing anarchy shit talk

Plenty good talk here as well as the usual SA shit slinging.

Never was you much here, so nevermind if you never come back here!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
26 minutes ago, Neverwas said:

Sailing anarchy posts have become a Sess pit of bitterness! Moaning about boundaries , were you not praising that when Larry introduced it? Moaning about lack of wind, how is that the kiwis fault? Thats sailing!  Ive looked at this site less and less as times gone on. when we had the IACC boats races would be 2 hours long with boats meeting 2 or 3 times, essentially pre race was great viewing and then that was it, fast boat gone! At least now we have the added tension of will the boats be able to foil? Will this lead disappear if they sail into a light patch. you can frame it anyway you want but I enjoyed the tech, enjoyed the tension of the what if's in the races and I hope they stick with these boats and push the boundaries of what they can do next time. But one thing I wont be back for is the sailing anarchy shit talk

Dude with that post you fit right in and you don't even know it!!!!

• Like 1

A point about this race:

It wasn't just the start on the right or TNZ speed, the leg 2 leeward mark where LR fell decisively behind was an intentional move by TNZ.

LR had closed the gap a lot, had good pace but wasn't laying & TNZ could have easily gone a few lengths past the LR line -> 1 & in round the port gate.

But they chose to gybe right on LRs line & then right in front of them to round the starboard gate shutting down the split.

Already before that gybe LR had to hot up the angle, they were very high & down to 22kt coming out of it.

LR was left wallowing downspeed in TNZs gas until the boundary tack -> 250m lead & TNZ in-phase direct to windward.

• Like 3

Congratulations, ETNZ. And commiserations, LRPP.

Thanks to all our great SAAC contributors.

And a special thanks to all our Italian friends and supporters. Grazie per essere così grandi concorrenti.

• Like 6

Indeed Mr. Sailbydate...

36th America’s Cup Day 7

Race 10: It’s become a cliché - a slow boat doesn’t win the cup - exactly…

Not that Luna Rossa was ever a slow-coach; rather Te Rehutai always had enough of an edge, once into free, clean air zip ahead.

Quote of the day Kenny: “If you’re an Italian fan you’re probably saying a few Hail Mary’s now!”

Yep, tough viewing watching your hopes finally fade away, and I for one will miss these groaning, creaking… whistling monsters and the circus involved to run them.

Enjoyed too the many smart, witty and informative comments on these here boards, keep em comin'

See you all again in four years…

É   T U T T O   G E N T E

• Like 3

Jimmy Spithill concedes it was like taking a knife to a gunfight against Team New Zealand

David Long20:23, Mar 17 2021

Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.
RYAN ANDERSON/STUFF
Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.

Jimmy Spithill said it was like taking a knife to a gunfight in the America’s Cup Match against Team New Zealand - but he’s not giving up on winning the Auld Mug again.

The co-helmsman who has so often been the nemesis of Team New Zealand, was gracious in defeat after Luna Rossa lost race 10 on Wednesday, going down 7-3 in the best of 13 series.

The Italians had hoped they could be equal with the speed of Te Rehutai in the Match, but in Wednesday’s race it was clear they weren’t as fast, with Team New Zealand winning by 46 seconds.

“It would have been nice to have won a few more races against the Kiwis, but to be quite honest at times it felt like we were taking a knife to a gunfight,” Spithill said when interviewed afterwards.

Just received from Bermuda:

Hello and a big Congratulations all the way from BDA, 

Emirates Team New Zealand has done it. 
Great ending to AC36. 
I will miss the sights and sounds of New Zealand on the television. 

I'm typing this at 2:33 in the morning here in Bermuda watching the celebration. 
Never in my life have I seen such a celebration.
Enjoy the celebrations and hope to chat again soon. 

Congratulations New Zealand!

ALL THE BEST ALL THE WAY FROM MyislandhomeBDA!!!
Jason
  • Like 21
Just now, weta27 said:

Great ending to AC36. 

I'm typing this at 2:33 in the morning here in Bermuda watching the celebration. 

Jason

Weta - please pass our very best to Jason.... hopefully he is there for v37......

• Like 3
1 minute ago, weta27 said:

Great ending to AC36. 

Jason

A thousand likes to Jason. His coverage was one of a kind, dedicated, and responsible for me winning a good pot when I saw the B5 flopping around over there. 

Maybe in a new world 4 years from now we can crowd fund some assistance for him to visit NZ

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, hoom said:

It wasn't just the start on the right or TNZ speed, the leg 2 leeward mark where LR fell decisively behind was an intentional move by TNZ.

Yes that was a good move and over all TR sailed a better match race than in their previous race wins. Probably they didn't need to and they just wanted to show they can do it as well.

2 hours ago, Count Drac said:

This

No luffing capsize, no awkward transitions to foiling...ect. a gutsy call that can't be disputed.

Kudos

33 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Great ending to AC36. 

Jason

He really needs to get down here for the next one... An SA gofundme effort maybe? 

3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Feeling bummed there's no racing tomorrow......and none for quite some time......

If you can stand a slower pace, SailGP will be up pretty soon. 

5 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

These could be the next sail gp boats

That would be funny......but good as well............I bet Russ was watching......Do a one design AC75 based on TR just for the GP......but keep the development going in the AC - perfect world.......

Welp I (and all ETNZ fans) got my lucky birthday present today :-)

LRRP demonstrated grit and class, and I for one am a proud member of the Francesco Bruni Fan Club.

The viaduct was absolutely mental this afternoon, and this evening. I'm glad that we retained the cup so that we can have another crack at hosting international visitors properly in Aotearoa.

Interesting times ahead :-D

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Joakim said:

It's almost impossible to stop the other boat from tacking at the start. LR was leading accross the line and had a good leebow situation. They could have tacked, at least when TR tacked.

LR didn't win the start by a big marging. That would have been e.g shutting TR from getting to the line. But they still won it. 

Then TR was faster or got better wind from right. 

TR had the luxury not needing to win the start. They just needed a free line and the boat does the rest. It was a smart move for them, but most likely TR would have won the first cross with a bigger margin, if the places in the start were swapped.

???!!!

LR on port entry and wanted to be on the windward side of the start line (because the right hand side of the course is favoured), TR simply took the option away from LR, crossing the line slightly earlier does not mean anything if you are forced out of the position that you wanted.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

???!!!

LR on port entry and wanted to be on the windward side of the start line (because the right hand side of the course is favoured), TR simply took the option away from LR, crossing the line slightly earlier does not mean anything if you are forced out of the position that you wanted.

No. Jimmy said RC end is favored. Thus they wanted to start near the right end of the line. They didn't say nor do anyting that implied they had any plans on making the extra tack TR did. You loose 50 m or so in a tack.

You don't want to start on a windward side of the other boat unless there is a clear gap and it's still risky since you need to let the other boat tack at the boundary. Previous day LR was just barely able to leebow TR at the boundary tack. This is especially true for LR, since TR needs to sail lower and then has better VMG.

LR started in a good position regarding were TR was. TR would not have survived there to the boundary. They had to tack and wanted to tack. Maybe that fooled LR? I don't see much LR could have done.

TR gained about 50 m in total. I think that was just boat speed. All the way to the boundary + to the middle has been about 50 m to TR.

Congrats to ETNZ and especially to all the engineers and craftsmen who built these amazing machines!  What an incredible feat.  When I first saw the concept drawings, I was in the no fucking way camp.  Just blown away with the courage and skill shown in the  design, construction and operation of these beasts.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Jimmy Spithill concedes it was like taking a knife to a gunfight against Team New Zealand

David Long20:23, Mar 17 2021

RYAN ANDERSON/STUFF

Jimmy Spithill said it was like taking a knife to a gunfight in the America’s Cup Match against Team New Zealand - but he’s not giving up on winning the Auld Mug again.

The co-helmsman who has so often been the nemesis of Team New Zealand, was gracious in defeat after Luna Rossa lost race 10 on Wednesday, going down 7-3 in the best of 13 series.

The Italians had hoped they could be equal with the speed of Te Rehutai in the Match, but in Wednesday’s race it was clear they weren’t as fast, with Team New Zealand winning by 46 seconds.

“It would have been nice to have won a few more races against the Kiwis, but to be quite honest at times it felt like we were taking a knife to a gunfight,” Spithill said when interviewed afterwards.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-i-let-them-down-dejected-luna-rossa-co-helmsman-jimmy-spithill-vows-to-be-back/3R5QSTQDKHMBR7BFHYQIUXLE4M/

is he counting the DoG series as a Cup final? even my granny could have won with that bazooka in a knifefight

"I love the fight, I love competing. That's my fourth Cup final in a row and I'm two wins, two losses. I can't leave it there; I've got to tip it the right way," Spithill said.

6 hours ago, 45Roller said:

PJ, thank god its not Bruno

Edit: spoke too fuckin soon

Actually Bruno mustered his energy and rose to the occasion.

Probably his swansong. I imagine it was Prada who dug him out for this cup, I don't think he'll be back for the next.

• Like 2

Congratulations to all Kiwi supporters here, and a great recognition for the (I believe) closest effort from an Italian Team.  You won races despite not having the fastest boat, made less mistakes also. Also I think @strider470 was very humorous taking all bullets graciously, you are an alter ego of Max Sirena!

Also congratulations to @Basiliscus, @MaxHugen, @erdb, @weta27, @Mozzy Sails and many others who took time to help us understand these machines of sailing!

Luis

• Like 10
4 hours ago, barfy said:

A thousand likes to Jason. His coverage was one of a kind, dedicated, and responsible for me winning a good pot when I saw the B5 flopping around over there. 

Maybe in a new world 4 years from now we can crowd fund some assistance for him to visit NZ

YES!

7 hours ago, snaerk said:

Nuthing spolyz a good theery lyk hard fakts. 

(sumwun rote "NZ PM Jacinda Ardern carved to Daltons demands")

Everybody chipped in with help/support  for entz even the government.

Gotta like that---

LUNA ROSA go home to a major virus lockdown and a dispute over vaccines.

Sigh.

8 hours ago, mako23 said:

Our American friends in this forum seem very silent, you would of  though they would be congratulating us.

Hey - absolutely.  Way to kick some ass.   Too bad you had the obvious advantage of having written the rule.

(After all... that's how a Kiwi would respond, based on all the shit talking done by Kiwis on this forum).

But, in all seriousness.  Nice boat, and great job sailing.  Way to go!

You also have to remember most 'Americans' have been asleep and are at work now.

1 hour ago, Joakim said:

No. Jimmy said RC end is favored. Thus they wanted to start near the right end of the line. They didn't say nor do anyting that implied they had any plans on making the extra tack TR did. You loose 50 m or so in a tack.

You don't want to start on a windward side of the other boat unless there is a clear gap and it's still risky since you need to let the other boat tack at the boundary. Previous day LR was just barely able to leebow TR at the boundary tack. This is especially true for LR, since TR needs to sail lower and then has better VMG.

LR started in a good position regarding were TR was. TR would not have survived there to the boundary. They had to tack and wanted to tack. Maybe that fooled LR? I don't see much LR could have done.

TR gained about 50 m in total. I think that was just boat speed. All the way to the boundary + to the middle has been about 50 m to TR.

As you said, the RC end is favoured, so did LR managed to get the favoured side of the starting line? the port entry boat is supposed to have the advantage to choose where they wanted to be positioned off the starting line. 

TR wanted the right hand side from the get go and executed the tack off the starting line perfectly as planned, not hard to see who actually won that start.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, mako23 said:

Yeah I remember 2003, 2007 and 2013, which were not fun years. San Francisco was a real kick in the guts and I really though ETNZ were dead in the water. I really do know what your going through. 

The TV were saying that LR were confirmed to coming back, so you might get your revenge. 

Losing the cup is not fun, but the Italian fans were a real class act. You guys will be welcomed back with open arms 

Despite not winning 2007, I think we can be extremely proud of that result. We were a mosquitoe's dick away from winning a race that would have had the scoreline at 4-3. Alinghi proved to be faster but to get that result from the ashes of 2003 was quite remarkable. 2003 hurt more because of the cowardice in which the core of a great team that SPB created pissed off and gutted TNZ leaving not a lot of time to scrape a defence together. 2013 sucked because we made too many fundamental errors along the way. I don't think 2017 was possible without 2013.

1 hour ago, fish7yu said:

TR wanted the right hand side from the get go and executed the tack off the starting line perfectly as planned, not hard to see who actually won that start.

Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.

I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 

33 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.

They weren't behind on the first cross! Watch the 2011/ 2012 Volvo Ocean Race Auckland Inshore race start, Camper did the same thing, started behind the leaders but took the right hand side, tacked soon after the start and went straight to the wall in front of the Hilton. Its not about just getting the bow over the line before your opponent. Its about being able to consolidate the start by getting the first shift and pressure, and winning the first cross.

2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 

So would LR and what patriotic Italian would switch from LR to Etnz? 

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Hey - absolutely.  Way to kick some ass.   Too bad you had the obvious advantage of having written the rule.

(After all... that's how a Kiwi would respond, based on all the shit talking done by Kiwis on this forum).

But, in all seriousness.  Nice boat, and great job sailing.  Way to go!

You also have to remember most 'Americans' have been asleep and are at work now.

LOL!

Well played. After some of the Kiwis here were total cunts after Bermuda and when ETNZ were 8-1 up in San Francisco you are entitled to that one.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

LOL!

Well played. After some of the Kiwis here were total cunts after Bermuda and when ETNZ were 8-1 up in San Francisco you are entitled to that one.

I probably just should have said "Goodonya!" and moved on.  But I couldn't resist stirring the pot.