Jump to content

AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

We already lost the Random Pic Thread, do you really want to destroy SA for good?

What happened to it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Didn't survive the last forum upgrade...

That had to be designed in, a decision made.

I thought it was awesome but I can only imagine the resources it occupied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Neverwas said:

Sailing anarchy posts have become a Sess pit of bitterness! Moaning about boundaries , were you not praising that when Larry introduced it? Moaning about lack of wind, how is that the kiwis fault? Thats sailing!  Ive looked at this site less and less as times gone on. when we had the IACC boats races would be 2 hours long with boats meeting 2 or 3 times, essentially pre race was great viewing and then that was it, fast boat gone! At least now we have the added tension of will the boats be able to foil? Will this lead disappear if they sail into a light patch. you can frame it anyway you want but I enjoyed the tech, enjoyed the tension of the what if's in the races and I hope they stick with these boats and push the boundaries of what they can do next time. But one thing I wont be back for is the sailing anarchy shit talk

Dude with that post you fit right in and you don't even know it!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A point about this race:

It wasn't just the start on the right or TNZ speed, the leg 2 leeward mark where LR fell decisively behind was an intentional move by TNZ.

LR had closed the gap a lot, had good pace but wasn't laying & TNZ could have easily gone a few lengths past the LR line -> 1 & in round the port gate.

But they chose to gybe right on LRs line & then right in front of them to round the starboard gate shutting down the split.

Already before that gybe LR had to hot up the angle, they were very high & down to 22kt coming out of it.

LR was left wallowing downspeed in TNZs gas until the boundary tack -> 250m lead & TNZ in-phase direct to windward.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations, ETNZ. And commiserations, LRPP.

Thanks to all our great SAAC contributors.

And a special thanks to all our Italian friends and supporters. Grazie per essere così grandi concorrenti.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed Mr. Sailbydate...

36th America’s Cup Day 7

Race 10: It’s become a cliché - a slow boat doesn’t win the cup - exactly…

Not that Luna Rossa was ever a slow-coach; rather Te Rehutai always had enough of an edge, once into free, clean air zip ahead.

Quote of the day Kenny: “If you’re an Italian fan you’re probably saying a few Hail Mary’s now!”

Yep, tough viewing watching your hopes finally fade away, and I for one will miss these groaning, creaking… whistling monsters and the circus involved to run them.

Enjoyed too the many smart, witty and informative comments on these here boards, keep em comin'

See you all again in four years…

É   T U T T O   G E N T E

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy Spithill concedes it was like taking a knife to a gunfight against Team New Zealand

David Long20:23, Mar 17 2021
 
Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.
RYAN ANDERSON/STUFF
Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.

Jimmy Spithill said it was like taking a knife to a gunfight in the America’s Cup Match against Team New Zealand - but he’s not giving up on winning the Auld Mug again.

The co-helmsman who has so often been the nemesis of Team New Zealand, was gracious in defeat after Luna Rossa lost race 10 on Wednesday, going down 7-3 in the best of 13 series.

The Italians had hoped they could be equal with the speed of Te Rehutai in the Match, but in Wednesday’s race it was clear they weren’t as fast, with Team New Zealand winning by 46 seconds.

“It would have been nice to have won a few more races against the Kiwis, but to be quite honest at times it felt like we were taking a knife to a gunfight,” Spithill said when interviewed afterwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

“It would have been nice to have won a few more races against the Kiwis, but to be quite honest at times it felt like we were taking a knife to a gunfight,” Spithill said when interviewed afterwards.

He could be right, but then Jimmy has been so full of it so many times that who can tell.

It is also a convenient thing to say, inferring that it was not his fault.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

Yep, tough viewing watching your hopes finally fade away, and I for one will miss these groaning, creaking… whistling monsters and the circus involved to run them.

Well said.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received from Bermuda:

Hello and a big Congratulations all the way from BDA, 
 
Emirates Team New Zealand has done it. 
Great ending to AC36. 
I will miss the sights and sounds of New Zealand on the television. 
 
I'm typing this at 2:33 in the morning here in Bermuda watching the celebration. 
Never in my life have I seen such a celebration.
Enjoy the celebrations and hope to chat again soon. 
 
Congratulations New Zealand!
 
ALL THE BEST ALL THE WAY FROM MyislandhomeBDA!!!
Jason
  • Like 21
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weta27 said:

Just received from Bermuda:

Hello and a big Congratulations all the way from BDA, 
 
Emirates Team New Zealand has done it. 
Great ending to AC36. 
I will miss the sights and sounds of New Zealand on the television. 
 
I'm typing this at 2:33 in the morning here in Bermuda watching the celebration. 
Never in my life have I seen such a celebration.
Enjoy the celebrations and hope to chat again soon. 
 
Congratulations New Zealand!
 
ALL THE BEST ALL THE WAY FROM MyislandhomeBDA!!!
Jason

Weta - please pass our very best to Jason.... hopefully he is there for v37......

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weta27 said:

Just received from Bermuda:

Hello and a big Congratulations all the way from BDA, 
 
Emirates Team New Zealand has done it. 
Great ending to AC36. 
I will miss the sights and sounds of New Zealand on the television. 
 
I'm typing this at 2:33 in the morning here in Bermuda watching the celebration. 
Never in my life have I seen such a celebration.
Enjoy the celebrations and hope to chat again soon. 
 
Congratulations New Zealand!
 
ALL THE BEST ALL THE WAY FROM MyislandhomeBDA!!!
Jason

A thousand likes to Jason. His coverage was one of a kind, dedicated, and responsible for me winning a good pot when I saw the B5 flopping around over there. 

Maybe in a new world 4 years from now we can crowd fund some assistance for him to visit NZ

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hoom said:

It wasn't just the start on the right or TNZ speed, the leg 2 leeward mark where LR fell decisively behind was an intentional move by TNZ.

Yes that was a good move and over all TR sailed a better match race than in their previous race wins. Probably they didn't need to and they just wanted to show they can do it as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Count Drac said:

One guy I really take my hat off to is Dan Bernasconi.

 

When the concept of a large, fully-foiling monohull was first promoted I was sceptical. I figured that the power required to get up on foils would be high but that at least a wing sail could provide that power.

 

To then learn that a double-skin soft sail would be used made me even more sceptical, but I acknowledged that if they pulled it off then it would a huge advance in sailing technology and capability.

 

To have now achieved what Dan set out to do puts him up there with any of the great yacht designers. In fact, what he has achieved may put him at the top.

 

I know many may disagree and cite designers like Herreshoff,  Fife or Stephens, but in my opinion they all improved existing designs without achieving the quantum leap that these foiling monohulls have achieved.

 

Congratulations to Dan and the entire ETNZ (and Di, I won't have to water-board you anymore at family get-togethers).

 

This

No luffing capsize, no awkward transitions to foiling...ect. a gutsy call that can't be disputed.

Kudos

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Just received from Bermuda:

Hello and a big Congratulations all the way from BDA, 
 
Emirates Team New Zealand has done it. 
Great ending to AC36. 
I will miss the sights and sounds of New Zealand on the television. 
 
I'm typing this at 2:33 in the morning here in Bermuda watching the celebration. 
Never in my life have I seen such a celebration.
Enjoy the celebrations and hope to chat again soon. 
 
Congratulations New Zealand!
 
ALL THE BEST ALL THE WAY FROM MyislandhomeBDA!!!
Jason

He really needs to get down here for the next one... An SA gofundme effort maybe? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Feeling bummed there's no racing tomorrow......and none for quite some time......

If you can stand a slower pace, SailGP will be up pretty soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

If you can stand a slower pace, SailGP will be up pretty soon. 

Yeah April in Bermuda.........Well done on picking the scoreline SBD.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

These could be the next sail gp boats

That would be funny......but good as well............I bet Russ was watching......Do a one design AC75 based on TR just for the GP......but keep the development going in the AC - perfect world.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp I (and all ETNZ fans) got my lucky birthday present today :-)

LRRP demonstrated grit and class, and I for one am a proud member of the Francesco Bruni Fan Club.

The viaduct was absolutely mental this afternoon, and this evening. I'm glad that we retained the cup so that we can have another crack at hosting international visitors properly in Aotearoa.

Interesting times ahead :-D

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joakim said:

It's almost impossible to stop the other boat from tacking at the start. LR was leading accross the line and had a good leebow situation. They could have tacked, at least when TR tacked.

LR didn't win the start by a big marging. That would have been e.g shutting TR from getting to the line. But they still won it. 

Then TR was faster or got better wind from right. 

TR had the luxury not needing to win the start. They just needed a free line and the boat does the rest. It was a smart move for them, but most likely TR would have won the first cross with a bigger margin, if the places in the start were swapped.

 

???!!!

LR on port entry and wanted to be on the windward side of the start line (because the right hand side of the course is favoured), TR simply took the option away from LR, crossing the line slightly earlier does not mean anything if you are forced out of the position that you wanted.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

 

???!!!

LR on port entry and wanted to be on the windward side of the start line (because the right hand side of the course is favoured), TR simply took the option away from LR, crossing the line slightly earlier does not mean anything if you are forced out of the position that you wanted.

No. Jimmy said RC end is favored. Thus they wanted to start near the right end of the line. They didn't say nor do anyting that implied they had any plans on making the extra tack TR did. You loose 50 m or so in a tack.

You don't want to start on a windward side of the other boat unless there is a clear gap and it's still risky since you need to let the other boat tack at the boundary. Previous day LR was just barely able to leebow TR at the boundary tack. This is especially true for LR, since TR needs to sail lower and then has better VMG.

LR started in a good position regarding were TR was. TR would not have survived there to the boundary. They had to tack and wanted to tack. Maybe that fooled LR? I don't see much LR could have done.

TR gained about 50 m in total. I think that was just boat speed. All the way to the boundary + to the middle has been about 50 m to TR.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to ETNZ and especially to all the engineers and craftsmen who built these amazing machines!  What an incredible feat.  When I first saw the concept drawings, I was in the no fucking way camp.  Just blown away with the courage and skill shown in the  design, construction and operation of these beasts.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Jimmy Spithill concedes it was like taking a knife to a gunfight against Team New Zealand

David Long20:23, Mar 17 2021
 
Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.
RYAN ANDERSON/STUFF
Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.

Jimmy Spithill said it was like taking a knife to a gunfight in the America’s Cup Match against Team New Zealand - but he’s not giving up on winning the Auld Mug again.

The co-helmsman who has so often been the nemesis of Team New Zealand, was gracious in defeat after Luna Rossa lost race 10 on Wednesday, going down 7-3 in the best of 13 series.

The Italians had hoped they could be equal with the speed of Te Rehutai in the Match, but in Wednesday’s race it was clear they weren’t as fast, with Team New Zealand winning by 46 seconds.

“It would have been nice to have won a few more races against the Kiwis, but to be quite honest at times it felt like we were taking a knife to a gunfight,” Spithill said when interviewed afterwards.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-i-let-them-down-dejected-luna-rossa-co-helmsman-jimmy-spithill-vows-to-be-back/3R5QSTQDKHMBR7BFHYQIUXLE4M/

is he counting the DoG series as a Cup final? even my granny could have won with that bazooka in a knifefight

 

"I love the fight, I love competing. That's my fourth Cup final in a row and I'm two wins, two losses. I can't leave it there; I've got to tip it the right way," Spithill said.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 45Roller said:

PJ, thank god its not Bruno

Edit: spoke too fuckin soon

Actually Bruno mustered his energy and rose to the occasion.

Probably his swansong. I imagine it was Prada who dug him out for this cup, I don't think he'll be back for the next.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Piet56 said:

I dislike Max personally, but today he proved his class - yeah a great team Luna Rossa - that took guts and class...... Kudo's

You know him? What's to dislike about Max?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to all Kiwi supporters here, and a great recognition for the (I believe) closest effort from an Italian Team.  You won races despite not having the fastest boat, made less mistakes also. Also I think @strider470 was very humorous taking all bullets graciously, you are an alter ego of Max Sirena!

Also congratulations to @Basiliscus, @MaxHugen, @erdb, @weta27, @Mozzy Sails and many others who took time to help us understand these machines of sailing!

Luis

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fish7yu said:

 

Something I couldn't quite figure out till this day, is Te Rehutai considered a color "red" boat? or a color "black boat"???

:unsure:

Yes, yes it is. You're welcome ^_^

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, barfy said:

A thousand likes to Jason. His coverage was one of a kind, dedicated, and responsible for me winning a good pot when I saw the B5 flopping around over there. 

Maybe in a new world 4 years from now we can crowd fund some assistance for him to visit NZ

YES!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, snaerk said:

Nuthing spolyz a good theery lyk hard fakts. 

(sumwun rote "NZ PM Jacinda Ardern carved to Daltons demands")

Everybody chipped in with help/support  for entz even the government.

Gotta like that---

 

LUNA ROSA go home to a major virus lockdown and a dispute over vaccines.

Sigh.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mako23 said:

Our American friends in this forum seem very silent, you would of  though they would be congratulating us.

Hey - absolutely.  Way to kick some ass.   Too bad you had the obvious advantage of having written the rule.

(After all... that's how a Kiwi would respond, based on all the shit talking done by Kiwis on this forum).

But, in all seriousness.  Nice boat, and great job sailing.  Way to go!

You also have to remember most 'Americans' have been asleep and are at work now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joakim said:

No. Jimmy said RC end is favored. Thus they wanted to start near the right end of the line. They didn't say nor do anyting that implied they had any plans on making the extra tack TR did. You loose 50 m or so in a tack.

You don't want to start on a windward side of the other boat unless there is a clear gap and it's still risky since you need to let the other boat tack at the boundary. Previous day LR was just barely able to leebow TR at the boundary tack. This is especially true for LR, since TR needs to sail lower and then has better VMG.

LR started in a good position regarding were TR was. TR would not have survived there to the boundary. They had to tack and wanted to tack. Maybe that fooled LR? I don't see much LR could have done.

TR gained about 50 m in total. I think that was just boat speed. All the way to the boundary + to the middle has been about 50 m to TR.

 

As you said, the RC end is favoured, so did LR managed to get the favoured side of the starting line? the port entry boat is supposed to have the advantage to choose where they wanted to be positioned off the starting line. 

TR wanted the right hand side from the get go and executed the tack off the starting line perfectly as planned, not hard to see who actually won that start.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mako23 said:

Yeah I remember 2003, 2007 and 2013, which were not fun years. San Francisco was a real kick in the guts and I really though ETNZ were dead in the water. I really do know what your going through. 
 

The TV were saying that LR were confirmed to coming back, so you might get your revenge. 
 

Losing the cup is not fun, but the Italian fans were a real class act. You guys will be welcomed back with open arms 

Despite not winning 2007, I think we can be extremely proud of that result. We were a mosquitoe's dick away from winning a race that would have had the scoreline at 4-3. Alinghi proved to be faster but to get that result from the ashes of 2003 was quite remarkable. 2003 hurt more because of the cowardice in which the core of a great team that SPB created pissed off and gutted TNZ leaving not a lot of time to scrape a defence together. 2013 sucked because we made too many fundamental errors along the way. I don't think 2017 was possible without 2013.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fish7yu said:

TR wanted the right hand side from the get go and executed the tack off the starting line perfectly as planned, not hard to see who actually won that start.

Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.

They weren't behind on the first cross! Watch the 2011/ 2012 Volvo Ocean Race Auckland Inshore race start, Camper did the same thing, started behind the leaders but took the right hand side, tacked soon after the start and went straight to the wall in front of the Hilton. Its not about just getting the bow over the line before your opponent. Its about being able to consolidate the start by getting the first shift and pressure, and winning the first cross.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 

So would LR and what patriotic Italian would switch from LR to Etnz? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Hey - absolutely.  Way to kick some ass.   Too bad you had the obvious advantage of having written the rule.

(After all... that's how a Kiwi would respond, based on all the shit talking done by Kiwis on this forum).

But, in all seriousness.  Nice boat, and great job sailing.  Way to go!

You also have to remember most 'Americans' have been asleep and are at work now.

LOL!

Well played. After some of the Kiwis here were total cunts after Bermuda and when ETNZ were 8-1 up in San Francisco you are entitled to that one.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

LOL!

Well played. After some of the Kiwis here were total cunts after Bermuda and when ETNZ were 8-1 up in San Francisco you are entitled to that one.

 

I probably just should have said "Goodonya!" and moved on.  But I couldn't resist stirring the pot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

If you can stand a slower pace, SailGP will be up pretty soon. 

Dalts said in Bermuda something about the ac needing something with more presence that "beach cats" zipping around. After the 75's sail GP seems so beach cat!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I probably just should have said "Goodonya!" and moved on.  But I couldn't resist stirring the pot.

Meh. Someone would have probably taken exception with that too.

Just be careful to use the right pronouns otherwise you will be in deep shit! 

It would be a nuclear winter with all the snowflakes melting down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still several hundred posts to catch up on...

But first: Congrats ETNZ, won and defended again, you're in an exclusive club (you are an exclusive club :D).

Congrats to LRPP, you were and hopefully will be a very worthy, charming and capable challenger. 

Thanks for the entertainment!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

Dalts said in Bermuda something about the ac needing something with more presence that "beach cats" zipping around. After the 75's sail GP seems so beach cat!

I am looking forward to SailGP.  I love the Cup for the spectacle it is, but as far as racing goes, one design is more interesting to me.  Seeing a lot of these guys go head to head again will be awesome.  If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series.  Sure hope he gets a ride in the next Cup - and I hope it is helming the "American" boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Still several hundred posts to catch up on...

But first: Congrats ETNZ, won and defended again, you're in an exclusive club (you are an exclusive club :D).

Congrats to LRPP, you were and hopefully will be a very worthy, charming and capable challenger. 

Thanks for the entertainment!

The feeling here is extremely supportive of LR, no one is bad mouthing them and while we won, many people consider LR to be equal winners in the ac circus and I am sure there would have been a huge party for them if they did lift the cup.  A worthy opponent makes you look good, and LR sailed the foils of their boat, they could not have done better. I have no doubt that if they had identical boats then the result could very easily have gone the other way. At this level all the teams were capable of taking the cup with the right gear if they were in the zone. ET were the well deserved winners because they had the best boat, and ultimately the best crew who were "in the zone"

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, efrank said:

If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series. 

That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Still several hundred posts to catch up on...

Wassamatta? Only 400-600 posts per day. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, efrank said:

I am looking forward to SailGP.  I love the Cup for the spectacle it is, but as far as racing goes, one design is more interesting to me.  Seeing a lot of these guys go head to head again will be awesome.  If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series.  Sure hope he gets a ride in the next Cup - and I hope it is helming the "American" boat.

Yeah, I like the concept of SailGP - one design, but continuous development. Plus many of the top foiling sailors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Yeah, I like the concept of SailGP - one design, but continuous development. Plus many of the top foiling sailors.

To be honest, aside from the fact that Wussell set it up I don't understand the hate for SailGP.

I doesn't nor will it ever have the allure of the AC, but it is still a good spectacle.

It won't last for more than 5 years or so though, because dreams of it being commercially self sustaining are just that -dreams. And once Lazza bites if it or kicks the bucket, it will fold like a cheap suit.

But we can enjoy a Billionaire wasting his money in the meantime.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

To be honest, aside from the fact that Wussell set it up I don't understand the hate for SailGP.

I doesn't nor will it ever have the allure of the AC, but it is still a good spectacle.

It won't last for more than 5 years or so though, because dreams of it being commercially self sustaining are just that -dreams. And once Lazza bites if it or kicks the bucket, it will fold like a cheap suit.

But we can enjoy a Billionaire wasting his money in the meantime.

At ~8 race series per year, it may tide us over.

Personally, I really prefer The Ocean Race, but that's been postponed until 2022. First class coverage!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

At ~8 race series per year, it may tide us over.

Personally, I really prefer The Ocean Race, but that's been postponed until 2022. First class coverage!

And no one can moan the course is too short.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Must have been a hell of a party.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.17.33 AM.png

Their grandchildren will have hangovers.

If there weren't a bevvy of local lasses providing "entertainment" to both crews last night I will eat my hat.

Lucky fucks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 

 

That is CORRECT:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jaysper said:

To be honest, aside from the fact that Wussell set it up I don't understand the hate for SailGP.

I doesn't nor will it ever have the allure of the AC, but it is still a good spectacle.

It won't last for more than 5 years or so though, because dreams of it being commercially self sustaining are just that -dreams. And once Lazza bites if it or kicks the bucket, it will fold like a cheap suit.

But we can enjoy a Billionaire wasting his money in the meantime.

jaysper,

This is nonsense from you. It will last more than 5 years. SailGP replaced the shitty ESS (Extreme Sailing Series) who had snark Coverage all over it.

More and more commencial sponsors are hooping onto the GP bandwagon. INEOS for the Brits, ROCKWOOL for the Danes. I am sure there will be more. SailGP will sustain itself without the big pockets of Larry Ellison. The COVID Pandemic has thrown a little bit of a curveball into it but as long as SailGP attracts the likes of Burling/Tuke, Spithill, Ainslie, Outerridge and Slingsby they are looking good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile the NZ Herald is reporting that the new CoR for AC37 will be revealed later this week. My guess is on the Weekend with maximum Coverage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

jaysper,

This is nonsense from you. It will last more than 5 years. SailGP replaced the shitty ESS (Extreme Sailing Series) who had snark Coverage all over it.

More and more commencial sponsors are hooping onto the GP bandwagon. INEOS for the Brits, ROCKWOOL for the Danes. I am sure there will be more. SailGP will sustain itself without the big pockets of Larry Ellison. The COVID Pandemic has thrown a little bit of a curveball into it but as long as SailGP attracts the likes of Burling/Tuke, Spithill, Ainslie, Outerridge and Slingsby they are looking good.

Well we can agree to disagree and for what it's worth I hope I am wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Well we can agree to disagree and for what it's worth I hope I am wrong.

Still better to watch than displacement boats from a spectators point of view.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 

 

Please don't ruin my outrage with facts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

Still better to watch than displacement boats from a spectators point of view.

Actually I prefer archimedes, but that's just personal preference rather than due to any form of objective measure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 

 

Nah this is correct. not sure about the 2020 thing though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Flags said:

Nah this is correct. not sure about the 2020 thing though. 

The Japanese citizenship requirement definitely went up, im just not positive by how much. They raced the first regatta in 2020 before the series got canceled.  In that one regatta, the announcers talked about the new crew members that were added specifically because the exemption tightened as a 2nd year team.   

The biggest issue is that eventually Japan will lose their development status and Outerridge will get kicked off.  I'd hate to see him not racing in the SailGP!  He is fantastic. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

The biggest issue is that eventually Japan will lose their development status and Outerridge will get kicked off.  I'd hate to see him not racing in the SailGP!  He is fantastic. 

Yeah true mate, but NO did say that TT would be interested in challenging again if it stayed in the same boats and costs were brought down etc, would be so cool to see him at the wheel of an AC75v2 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent regatta, congratulations to ETNZ, worthy winners. Commiserations to Luna Rossa, what a great team with some great supporters out there and here on these boards.

Now what am I going to do every morning before work?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

Excellent regatta, congratulations to ETNZ, worthy winners. Commiserations to Luna Rossa, what a great team with some great supporters out there and here on these boards.

Now what am I going to do every morning before work?!?

Well said and I will also struggle with not having this spectacle to look forward to in the middle of the night. And all the rascals here providing entertainment :lol: As I said before, we were only short of a pub and the craic that comes with it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JonRowe said:

I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 

Honestly, who would Max replace at ETNZ??:lol: Max (and one or 2 others) only came to ETNZ for AC35 because of their common objective to get rid of Ellison - not necessarily because he had any specific skills to offer ETNZ!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mako23 said:

I wonder when other classes of boats start doing this 

I heard a rumour from a friend whose 2nd cousin heard it at 32 Flavours the other night that the NACRA 5.0 was considering introducing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got to watch it recorded, what a great AC and congrats ETNZ and great sportsmanship by Luna Rossa, really good to see that, including the waves and salutes on multiple sailbys at the end.

So, is there any consensus of what critical differences contributed to the speed advantage for TR? Or as usual was is a whole combination of slight advantages. Seems to me in addition to things like the near perfect flight control, and the overall skill of the team, the boom-in-wing and hence lower clean deck versus boom-in-deck and hence higher deck might have been a critical difference.

And to make this post too long, at the start why could not LR have tacked a few seconds after TR and tried to live there to the boundary at which point they could give TR bad air after the boundary tack? Is that not the correct move for match racing versus sailing off to the left boundary and allowing a split? I for one wished for a couple more races, and would have loved to see one near the top of the wind range.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Must have been a hell of a party.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.17.33 AM.png

HAHAHA! Love this photo. I noticed that GAshbe was the first one to run for the Mumms on the stage and popped the cork to spray away like a kid with a garden hose:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Indio said:

HAHAHA! Love this photo. I noticed that GAshbe was the first one to run for the Mumms on the stage and popped the cork to spray away like a kid with a garden hose:D

Yeah. Great to see the boys letting loose.

Link to post
Share on other sites