AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to that record, Mozzy Sails contacted me direct to ask permission to use my photos and even offered to purchase some, by way of compensation. I am more than happy to contribute an

Just for the record, I contacted @erdb @MaxHugen @doroxand @weta27asked if they were happy me using images or graphs etc. I always try to credit them in the video and in the description as agreed.  I

I want to thank all the amazing people I had the pleasure to meet here on Sailing Anarchy during this America's Cup. It's a huge list. Brits, Irish, Kiwis, fellow Italians, French, Dutch, Americans, C

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

These could be the next sail gp boats

That would be funny......but good as well............I bet Russ was watching......Do a one design AC75 based on TR just for the GP......but keep the development going in the AC - perfect world.......

Welp I (and all ETNZ fans) got my lucky birthday present today :-)

LRRP demonstrated grit and class, and I for one am a proud member of the Francesco Bruni Fan Club.

The viaduct was absolutely mental this afternoon, and this evening. I'm glad that we retained the cup so that we can have another crack at hosting international visitors properly in Aotearoa.

Interesting times ahead :-D

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Joakim said:

It's almost impossible to stop the other boat from tacking at the start. LR was leading accross the line and had a good leebow situation. They could have tacked, at least when TR tacked.

LR didn't win the start by a big marging. That would have been e.g shutting TR from getting to the line. But they still won it. 

Then TR was faster or got better wind from right. 

TR had the luxury not needing to win the start. They just needed a free line and the boat does the rest. It was a smart move for them, but most likely TR would have won the first cross with a bigger margin, if the places in the start were swapped.

???!!!

LR on port entry and wanted to be on the windward side of the start line (because the right hand side of the course is favoured), TR simply took the option away from LR, crossing the line slightly earlier does not mean anything if you are forced out of the position that you wanted.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

???!!!

LR on port entry and wanted to be on the windward side of the start line (because the right hand side of the course is favoured), TR simply took the option away from LR, crossing the line slightly earlier does not mean anything if you are forced out of the position that you wanted.

No. Jimmy said RC end is favored. Thus they wanted to start near the right end of the line. They didn't say nor do anyting that implied they had any plans on making the extra tack TR did. You loose 50 m or so in a tack.

You don't want to start on a windward side of the other boat unless there is a clear gap and it's still risky since you need to let the other boat tack at the boundary. Previous day LR was just barely able to leebow TR at the boundary tack. This is especially true for LR, since TR needs to sail lower and then has better VMG.

LR started in a good position regarding were TR was. TR would not have survived there to the boundary. They had to tack and wanted to tack. Maybe that fooled LR? I don't see much LR could have done.

TR gained about 50 m in total. I think that was just boat speed. All the way to the boundary + to the middle has been about 50 m to TR.

Congrats to ETNZ and especially to all the engineers and craftsmen who built these amazing machines!  What an incredible feat.  When I first saw the concept drawings, I was in the no fucking way camp.  Just blown away with the courage and skill shown in the  design, construction and operation of these beasts.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Jimmy Spithill concedes it was like taking a knife to a gunfight against Team New Zealand

David Long20:23, Mar 17 2021

Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.
RYAN ANDERSON/STUFF
Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.

Jimmy Spithill said it was like taking a knife to a gunfight in the America’s Cup Match against Team New Zealand - but he’s not giving up on winning the Auld Mug again.

The co-helmsman who has so often been the nemesis of Team New Zealand, was gracious in defeat after Luna Rossa lost race 10 on Wednesday, going down 7-3 in the best of 13 series.

The Italians had hoped they could be equal with the speed of Te Rehutai in the Match, but in Wednesday’s race it was clear they weren’t as fast, with Team New Zealand winning by 46 seconds.

“It would have been nice to have won a few more races against the Kiwis, but to be quite honest at times it felt like we were taking a knife to a gunfight,” Spithill said when interviewed afterwards.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-i-let-them-down-dejected-luna-rossa-co-helmsman-jimmy-spithill-vows-to-be-back/3R5QSTQDKHMBR7BFHYQIUXLE4M/

is he counting the DoG series as a Cup final? even my granny could have won with that bazooka in a knifefight

"I love the fight, I love competing. That's my fourth Cup final in a row and I'm two wins, two losses. I can't leave it there; I've got to tip it the right way," Spithill said.

6 hours ago, 45Roller said:

PJ, thank god its not Bruno

Edit: spoke too fuckin soon

Actually Bruno mustered his energy and rose to the occasion.

Probably his swansong. I imagine it was Prada who dug him out for this cup, I don't think he'll be back for the next.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Piet56 said:

I dislike Max personally, but today he proved his class - yeah a great team Luna Rossa - that took guts and class...... Kudo's

You know him? What's to dislike about Max?

Congratulations to all Kiwi supporters here, and a great recognition for the (I believe) closest effort from an Italian Team.  You won races despite not having the fastest boat, made less mistakes also. Also I think @strider470 was very humorous taking all bullets graciously, you are an alter ego of Max Sirena!

Also congratulations to @Basiliscus, @MaxHugen, @erdb, @weta27, @Mozzy Sails and many others who took time to help us understand these machines of sailing!

Luis

• Like 10
5 hours ago, fish7yu said:

Something I couldn't quite figure out till this day, is Te Rehutai considered a color "red" boat? or a color "black boat"???

:unsure:

Yes, yes it is. You're welcome ^_^

4 hours ago, barfy said:

A thousand likes to Jason. His coverage was one of a kind, dedicated, and responsible for me winning a good pot when I saw the B5 flopping around over there. 

Maybe in a new world 4 years from now we can crowd fund some assistance for him to visit NZ

YES!

7 hours ago, snaerk said:

Nuthing spolyz a good theery lyk hard fakts. 

(sumwun rote "NZ PM Jacinda Ardern carved to Daltons demands")

Everybody chipped in with help/support  for entz even the government.

Gotta like that---

LUNA ROSA go home to a major virus lockdown and a dispute over vaccines.

Sigh.

8 hours ago, mako23 said:

Our American friends in this forum seem very silent, you would of  though they would be congratulating us.

Hey - absolutely.  Way to kick some ass.   Too bad you had the obvious advantage of having written the rule.

(After all... that's how a Kiwi would respond, based on all the shit talking done by Kiwis on this forum).

But, in all seriousness.  Nice boat, and great job sailing.  Way to go!

You also have to remember most 'Americans' have been asleep and are at work now.

1 hour ago, Joakim said:

No. Jimmy said RC end is favored. Thus they wanted to start near the right end of the line. They didn't say nor do anyting that implied they had any plans on making the extra tack TR did. You loose 50 m or so in a tack.

You don't want to start on a windward side of the other boat unless there is a clear gap and it's still risky since you need to let the other boat tack at the boundary. Previous day LR was just barely able to leebow TR at the boundary tack. This is especially true for LR, since TR needs to sail lower and then has better VMG.

LR started in a good position regarding were TR was. TR would not have survived there to the boundary. They had to tack and wanted to tack. Maybe that fooled LR? I don't see much LR could have done.

TR gained about 50 m in total. I think that was just boat speed. All the way to the boundary + to the middle has been about 50 m to TR.

As you said, the RC end is favoured, so did LR managed to get the favoured side of the starting line? the port entry boat is supposed to have the advantage to choose where they wanted to be positioned off the starting line. 

TR wanted the right hand side from the get go and executed the tack off the starting line perfectly as planned, not hard to see who actually won that start.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, mako23 said:

Yeah I remember 2003, 2007 and 2013, which were not fun years. San Francisco was a real kick in the guts and I really though ETNZ were dead in the water. I really do know what your going through. 

The TV were saying that LR were confirmed to coming back, so you might get your revenge. 

Losing the cup is not fun, but the Italian fans were a real class act. You guys will be welcomed back with open arms 

Despite not winning 2007, I think we can be extremely proud of that result. We were a mosquitoe's dick away from winning a race that would have had the scoreline at 4-3. Alinghi proved to be faster but to get that result from the ashes of 2003 was quite remarkable. 2003 hurt more because of the cowardice in which the core of a great team that SPB created pissed off and gutted TNZ leaving not a lot of time to scrape a defence together. 2013 sucked because we made too many fundamental errors along the way. I don't think 2017 was possible without 2013.

1 hour ago, fish7yu said:

TR wanted the right hand side from the get go and executed the tack off the starting line perfectly as planned, not hard to see who actually won that start.

Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.

I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 

33 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.

They weren't behind on the first cross! Watch the 2011/ 2012 Volvo Ocean Race Auckland Inshore race start, Camper did the same thing, started behind the leaders but took the right hand side, tacked soon after the start and went straight to the wall in front of the Hilton. Its not about just getting the bow over the line before your opponent. Its about being able to consolidate the start by getting the first shift and pressure, and winning the first cross.

2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 

So would LR and what patriotic Italian would switch from LR to Etnz? 

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Hey - absolutely.  Way to kick some ass.   Too bad you had the obvious advantage of having written the rule.

(After all... that's how a Kiwi would respond, based on all the shit talking done by Kiwis on this forum).

But, in all seriousness.  Nice boat, and great job sailing.  Way to go!

You also have to remember most 'Americans' have been asleep and are at work now.

LOL!

Well played. After some of the Kiwis here were total cunts after Bermuda and when ETNZ were 8-1 up in San Francisco you are entitled to that one.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

LOL!

Well played. After some of the Kiwis here were total cunts after Bermuda and when ETNZ were 8-1 up in San Francisco you are entitled to that one.

I probably just should have said "Goodonya!" and moved on.  But I couldn't resist stirring the pot.

8 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

If you can stand a slower pace, SailGP will be up pretty soon. 

Dalts said in Bermuda something about the ac needing something with more presence that "beach cats" zipping around. After the 75's sail GP seems so beach cat!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I probably just should have said "Goodonya!" and moved on.  But I couldn't resist stirring the pot.

Meh. Someone would have probably taken exception with that too.

Just be careful to use the right pronouns otherwise you will be in deep shit! 

It would be a nuclear winter with all the snowflakes melting down.

Still several hundred posts to catch up on...

But first: Congrats ETNZ, won and defended again, you're in an exclusive club (you are an exclusive club :D).

Congrats to LRPP, you were and hopefully will be a very worthy, charming and capable challenger. 

Thanks for the entertainment!

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

Dalts said in Bermuda something about the ac needing something with more presence that "beach cats" zipping around. After the 75's sail GP seems so beach cat!

I am looking forward to SailGP.  I love the Cup for the spectacle it is, but as far as racing goes, one design is more interesting to me.  Seeing a lot of these guys go head to head again will be awesome.  If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series.  Sure hope he gets a ride in the next Cup - and I hope it is helming the "American" boat.

3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

But first: Congrats ETNZ, won and defended again, you're in an exclusive club (you are an exclusive club :D).

Congrats to LRPP, you were and hopefully will be a very worthy, charming and capable challenger. 

Thanks for the entertainment!

The feeling here is extremely supportive of LR, no one is bad mouthing them and while we won, many people consider LR to be equal winners in the ac circus and I am sure there would have been a huge party for them if they did lift the cup.  A worthy opponent makes you look good, and LR sailed the foils of their boat, they could not have done better. I have no doubt that if they had identical boats then the result could very easily have gone the other way. At this level all the teams were capable of taking the cup with the right gear if they were in the zone. ET were the well deserved winners because they had the best boat, and ultimately the best crew who were "in the zone"

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, efrank said:

If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series. 

That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Wassamatta? Only 400-600 posts per day. ;)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, efrank said:

I am looking forward to SailGP.  I love the Cup for the spectacle it is, but as far as racing goes, one design is more interesting to me.  Seeing a lot of these guys go head to head again will be awesome.  If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series.  Sure hope he gets a ride in the next Cup - and I hope it is helming the "American" boat.

Yeah, I like the concept of SailGP - one design, but continuous development. Plus many of the top foiling sailors.

5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Yeah, I like the concept of SailGP - one design, but continuous development. Plus many of the top foiling sailors.

To be honest, aside from the fact that Wussell set it up I don't understand the hate for SailGP.

I doesn't nor will it ever have the allure of the AC, but it is still a good spectacle.

It won't last for more than 5 years or so though, because dreams of it being commercially self sustaining are just that -dreams. And once Lazza bites if it or kicks the bucket, it will fold like a cheap suit.

But we can enjoy a Billionaire wasting his money in the meantime.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

To be honest, aside from the fact that Wussell set it up I don't understand the hate for SailGP.

I doesn't nor will it ever have the allure of the AC, but it is still a good spectacle.

It won't last for more than 5 years or so though, because dreams of it being commercially self sustaining are just that -dreams. And once Lazza bites if it or kicks the bucket, it will fold like a cheap suit.

At ~8 race series per year, it may tide us over.

Personally, I really prefer The Ocean Race, but that's been postponed until 2022. First class coverage!

7 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

At ~8 race series per year, it may tide us over.

Personally, I really prefer The Ocean Race, but that's been postponed until 2022. First class coverage!

And no one can moan the course is too short.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Must have been a hell of a party.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.17.33 AM.png

Their grandchildren will have hangovers.

If there weren't a bevvy of local lasses providing "entertainment" to both crews last night I will eat my hat.

Lucky fucks!

43 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

That is CORRECT:)

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, jaysper said:

jaysper,

This is nonsense from you. It will last more than 5 years. SailGP replaced the shitty ESS (Extreme Sailing Series) who had snark Coverage all over it.

More and more commencial sponsors are hooping onto the GP bandwagon. INEOS for the Brits, ROCKWOOL for the Danes. I am sure there will be more. SailGP will sustain itself without the big pockets of Larry Ellison. The COVID Pandemic has thrown a little bit of a curveball into it but as long as SailGP attracts the likes of Burling/Tuke, Spithill, Ainslie, Outerridge and Slingsby they are looking good.

• Like 1

Meanwhile the NZ Herald is reporting that the new CoR for AC37 will be revealed later this week. My guess is on the Weekend with maximum Coverage.

5 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

jaysper,

This is nonsense from you. It will last more than 5 years. SailGP replaced the shitty ESS (Extreme Sailing Series) who had snark Coverage all over it.

More and more commencial sponsors are hooping onto the GP bandwagon. INEOS for the Brits, ROCKWOOL for the Danes. I am sure there will be more. SailGP will sustain itself without the big pockets of Larry Ellison. The COVID Pandemic has thrown a little bit of a curveball into it but as long as SailGP attracts the likes of Burling/Tuke, Spithill, Ainslie, Outerridge and Slingsby they are looking good.

Well we can agree to disagree and for what it's worth I hope I am wrong.

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Well we can agree to disagree and for what it's worth I hope I am wrong.

Still better to watch than displacement boats from a spectators point of view.

54 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Please don't ruin my outrage with facts.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 36thLatitude said:

Still better to watch than displacement boats from a spectators point of view.

Actually I prefer archimedes, but that's just personal preference rather than due to any form of objective measure.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Nah this is correct. not sure about the 2020 thing though. 

12 minutes ago, Flags said:

Nah this is correct. not sure about the 2020 thing though. 

The Japanese citizenship requirement definitely went up, im just not positive by how much. They raced the first regatta in 2020 before the series got canceled.  In that one regatta, the announcers talked about the new crew members that were added specifically because the exemption tightened as a 2nd year team.   

The biggest issue is that eventually Japan will lose their development status and Outerridge will get kicked off.  I'd hate to see him not racing in the SailGP!  He is fantastic. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

The biggest issue is that eventually Japan will lose their development status and Outerridge will get kicked off.  I'd hate to see him not racing in the SailGP!  He is fantastic. 

Yeah true mate, but NO did say that TT would be interested in challenging again if it stayed in the same boats and costs were brought down etc, would be so cool to see him at the wheel of an AC75v2 

• Like 1

Excellent regatta, congratulations to ETNZ, worthy winners. Commiserations to Luna Rossa, what a great team with some great supporters out there and here on these boards.

Now what am I going to do every morning before work?!?

28 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

Excellent regatta, congratulations to ETNZ, worthy winners. Commiserations to Luna Rossa, what a great team with some great supporters out there and here on these boards.

Now what am I going to do every morning before work?!?

Well said and I will also struggle with not having this spectacle to look forward to in the middle of the night. And all the rascals here providing entertainment :lol: As I said before, we were only short of a pub and the craic that comes with it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Honestly, who would Max replace at ETNZ??:lol: Max (and one or 2 others) only came to ETNZ for AC35 because of their common objective to get rid of Ellison - not necessarily because he had any specific skills to offer ETNZ!!

12 hours ago, mako23 said:

I wonder when other classes of boats start doing this 

I heard a rumour from a friend whose 2nd cousin heard it at 32 Flavours the other night that the NACRA 5.0 was considering introducing it.

Finally got to watch it recorded, what a great AC and congrats ETNZ and great sportsmanship by Luna Rossa, really good to see that, including the waves and salutes on multiple sailbys at the end.

So, is there any consensus of what critical differences contributed to the speed advantage for TR? Or as usual was is a whole combination of slight advantages. Seems to me in addition to things like the near perfect flight control, and the overall skill of the team, the boom-in-wing and hence lower clean deck versus boom-in-deck and hence higher deck might have been a critical difference.

And to make this post too long, at the start why could not LR have tacked a few seconds after TR and tried to live there to the boundary at which point they could give TR bad air after the boundary tack? Is that not the correct move for match racing versus sailing off to the left boundary and allowing a split? I for one wished for a couple more races, and would have loved to see one near the top of the wind range.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Must have been a hell of a party.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.17.33 AM.png

HAHAHA! Love this photo. I noticed that GAshbe was the first one to run for the Mumms on the stage and popped the cork to spray away like a kid with a garden hose:D

7 minutes ago, Indio said:

HAHAHA! Love this photo. I noticed that GAshbe was the first one to run for the Mumms on the stage and popped the cork to spray away like a kid with a garden hose:D

Yeah. Great to see the boys letting loose.

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Yeah. Great to see the boys letting loose.

I thought Dan's countenance interesting. He looks mildly amused, but also deeply engrossed in working through the next go-faster tweak. A bloody genius.

• Like 2

What a regatta, I went back to some of the earliest posts in channels with hundreds of pages, some posts did not age well!

Awesome chapter in the AC story, a few people kicked out of here, some found new talent and shared incredible insights. I'd be keen to have a beer with anyone in Auckland, have a laugh about the cup and some stories of SA.

Wanted to say cheers for those that contributed quality comments, I hope we get to see these boats used again soon as training wheels, until then, the AC37 story starts today.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I thought Dan's countenance interesting. He looks mildly amused, but also deeply engrossed in working through the next go-faster tweak. A bloody genius.

Some wunderkind on the radio suggested they use these boats in a round the world race.

Aside from the obvious structural issues, where will you store the 100 people to grind and control the foils 24x7?

Genius!

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to write something similar because he looks like the Nutty Professor standing there with them. He deserves enormous credit to have delivered on this new class of boat with all of the inherent risks. ETNZ now have some serious talent across the spectrum. Wow.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

a40b2450c6f013e82fcf1ccca380bf23.jpg

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Some wunderkind on the radio suggested they use these boats in a round the world race.

Aside from the obvious structural issues, where will you store the 100 people to grind and control the foils 24x7?

Genius!

Funny, we have those types on our radio too. Can't be too hard to find someone who knows what they're talking about. 

6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Genius!

Terrible idea. The boundaries woulds be too restrictive FFS!

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Dan Bernasconi will be the most wanted designer on the planet now. Dalton knows this and will have ensured that they can retain him. Dan's major reasons for staying with ETNZ are tha same as Glen Ashby's: he likes the freedom, encouragement and support to think outside the circle at ETNZ, the seamless interaction with the sailors, the environment, etc..He was offered a blank sheet and cheque to write his own job spec and numbers after BDA but he politely declined..

He even has that look of a genius about him :D. Loved his comment at the presser that he was hoping they'd be racing today with winds expected to be in the high teens so they can see what Te Rehutai was capable of under real racing conditions..

• Like 3

Question,

YouTube Port Entry camera, 1:04:58. Jimmy comments about ETNZ high mode then says they are 4kts faster. He didn't say a few but instead was specific. Does each team get the other boats data or how would he have known this? 

1 hour ago, 45Roller said:

Well, Pete has slowed a bit for sure (as have we all in advancing years) but I listened to his radio commentary of race 10 yesterday (stuck in bloody Auckland traffic!!) and it was as good as I recall back in 1995. Well done PJ.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to write something similar because he looks like the Nutty Professor standing there with them. He deserves enormous credit to have delivered on this new class of boat with all of the inherent risks. ETNZ now have some serious talent across the spectrum. Wow.

Being effusive with likes around here is short lived. (In fact, it's a pain in the arse, Ed!!!!)

So here's a +1 Paddy.

19 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Wouldn't suit him.

Not so sure about that. Paddy. I think he'd grow into it, just fine.

Anywho, it would suit US I think.

Thanks everyone for making the whole AC regatta so much more enjoyable.  SA is kind of like AC therapy for me :-).  I'm a proud kiwi and so very proud that we did it again.  A relief & very satisfying.  It was made all the more sweet by how close it was.  Italy was awesome and were so professional and honorable.  At 3-3, I didn't think a 7-3 score line was possible.  I do feel sorry for the Italians.  To be 3-3 and a win a real possibility, it must be hard to lose.  So many "what ifs" but if races 8 & 9 had gone the other way then who knows...

ETNZ winning the last two Cups has for me properly buried the demons of 2003, 2007 & 2013.  Bring on the next one - hopefully in NZ and with more teams.

It will be very interesting to see what transpires over the next six months or so in terms of whether the current core ETNZ team members stay.  But after what happened after 2000 (losing Coutts etc) and the public backlash against them... I'm sure the key NZ talent will stay.  I just can't see Burling/Tuke/Junior/Maloney etc defecting.  I also think they will be keen to be the first team to go 3 in a row for quite some time (how long has it been?).  Dan and Glenn are an unknown.  Dan does sound like he loves ETNZ so may stay and so too with Glenn.  But if there is an Australian challenge, and they certainly have enough talent to mount one, that may be enough to lure Glenn away.

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

jaysper,

FailGP sucks balls.

I will watch anything about sailing, but have no interest in watching performing monkeys.  I find it demeaning to the sport.  Same old commercialism shit, see a sport and 'monetise' it.  I see an income for the sailors, that's hard to knock.  Oh, then there was Superfoilers!  Anyone remember them?

They will go the way of other attempts for the same reasons.  But as someone else has said in this thread, the boats now look silly, no relationship to the AC class, that they were cashing in in till now.

2 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

But if there is an Australian challenge, and they certainly have enough talent to mount one, that may be enough to lure Glenn away.

I am not sure we have the shore talent anymore.

20 minutes ago, Indio said:

Dan Bernasconi will be the most wanted designer on the planet now. Dalton knows this and will have ensured that they can retain him. Dan's major reasons for staying with ETNZ are tha same as Glen Ashby's: he likes the freedom, encouragement and support to think outside the circle at ETNZ, the seamless interaction with the sailors, the environment, etc..He was offered a blank sheet and cheque to write his own job spec and numbers after BDA but he politely declined..

He even has that look of a genius about him :D. Loved his comment at the presser that he was hoping they'd be racing today with winds expected to be in the high teens so they can see what Te Rehutai was capable of under real racing conditions..

Dan Bernasconi will stay I am pretty sure of that. I read an Interview with "TheTimes" in the UK before the AC Match started that he will stay as long as ETNZ wants him.

Glenn Ashby is a different subject. First of all he is a Sailor and not a Designer and in case you missed it during the Official AC Broadcast yesterday his fellow Australian Nathan Outerridge said On-Air that Ashby is likely going back to Australia after bascially having spent most of the last 8 years since he signed up for ETNZ's 2013 Challenge in New Zealand. That might be indicative how the National Requirement will be for Sailors come AC37!

16 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Not so sure about that. Paddy. I think he'd grow into it, just fine.

Anywho, it would suit US I think.

You could be right but he will need to bring his elbows in, shave and wear a suit every now and then :lol: 

1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

You could be right but he will need to bring his elbows in, shave and wear a suit every now and then :lol: 

+1