Do States that supported the Insurrection deserve help from the rest of us?

Even if the state is totally, 100% red, which it isn't, there are still humans there that are Americans.

And kids.  There's innocent kids there.

Let's not dive into Donny-land here.

• Like 3

Seems that I recall certain states' congresspersons refusing to direct aid to north eastern states after hurricane/storm Sandy. Why should NY, NJ, CT, etc. vote to send aid to TX, OK, MO, etc?

To be honest, I think that aid to states with natural disasters should be completely non-partisan, and not even up for debate. After the fact, the decisions on how to ameliorate the problem in the future could be debated, but not while people are suffering.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Seems that I recall certain states' congresspersons refusing to direct aid to north eastern states after hurricane/storm Sandy. Why should NY, NJ, CT, etc. vote to send aid to TX, OK, MO, etc?

To be honest, I think that aid to states with natural disasters should be completely non-partisan, and not even up for debate. After the fact, the decisions on how to ameliorate the problem in the future could be debated, but not while people are suffering.

So do I.  

Equal time:    I recall Denny Hastert saying much the same about aid to New Orleans immediately after Katrina.  

Should Louisiana then have hated on Illinois?

No, they deserve to be kicked out of the union to form their own independent States! :angry:

1 hour ago, nolatom said:

States??

Isn’t this carrying the  “us versus them” thing a bit too far?

Well, if Californians need to rake their forests, Texans can keep the patio heaters running. They have endless energy, don't they?

1 hour ago, Voyageur said:

Asking for a friend. I know it got a little chilly, but that does happen from time to time.

So you mean everyone within an artificial geographical boundary?   Why stop there? 

You could divide the country into quarters.  Then everyone in the lower south quadrant could be fucked.  

Liberal here. No, that would be a bad idea. I do think that certain right wing welfare programs (defense, police) should be scaled back but that is a different stratification. Moreover, I think that the concentration of these welfare programs (military bases) should be more evenly distributed amongst the states. Mississippi doesn't deserve its over allocation.

• Like 1

We have some serious snow here along the Sweetwater Seas ..  

The Admiral shoveled so much today that I got tired just watching her . . 

This is how I do it . . 

image.jpeg.08f20c345abab63699b7d2da9498c60e.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Voyageur said:

Asking for a friend. I know it got a little chilly, but that does happen from time to time.

Telling them to stop counting the snowflakes might hit home with them.

But it would be wrong.

People help people in need, simple as that.

If you want to add politics, that help would remind a lot of people to think about the "United" in your nation's name. It would also add "leading by example".

11 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

We have some serious snow here along the Sweetwater Seas ..  

The Admiral shoveled so much today that I got tired just watching her . . 

This is how I do it . . 

image.jpeg.08f20c345abab63699b7d2da9498c60e.jpeg

I shoveled shit this morning..... Puppy shit. Luckily solid, and in the garage, not the house. He's learning..... Slowly....

2 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Dividing America was the work of Trump, not Biden. Don't expect to much from this admin on this issue.

If you think that Politicians or the Media are responsible for Bringing together or Dividing us, you got a lot to learn about us.

Every time I go out, people offer me help. No matter what color their skin is.

4 hours ago, nolatom said:

States??

Isn’t this carrying the  “us versus them” thing a bit too far?

For entirely too many people, ^that^ seems to depend on which foot is wearing the boot, at the moment.

Human nature, but not a trend to embrace IMHO

- DSK

47 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

If you think that Politicians or the Media are responsible for Bringing together or Dividing us, you got a lot to learn about us.

If you think Turnip didn't spend the last four years dividing the country for political gain, you need to wake up.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Guess what?

Not quite the same for all Americans. If it were, we’d be better off. 

But some politicians do spread lies and sow divisions among us. If you’re surprised, you’ve been ignoring the news.

5 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Funny you should mention that, because just today, as someone walked through a door and let it slam in my face as I followed them, I recalled a situation right after I'd gotten out of 6 weeks of rehab after breaking my thigh in 3 places, about 2 1/2 years ago... I think it was the first time I'd tried to drive anywhere, and do anything since I got out. I got out of my truck, pulled my walker out of the bed of my P/U truck, and started shuffling towards the door. Just then a sheriff's deputy pulled up, jumped out of his car, brushed past me and literally slammed the door in my face. Thankfully another person leaving the store held the door opened for me. The counter lady had seen me pull in, and had my 6 pack on the counter waiting for me. As I walked/shuffled to the counter to pay, the deputy dashed in front of me, and put his coffee cup and bag of doritos on the counter. The counter lady looked at him and said: "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to wait in line like everyone else". He looked around and was confused. A woman behind me said: "You just about knocked this poor man over getting through the door. You should be ashamed!"

He said.: "Ummm, sorry, I guess I didn't see you!"

The woman behind me said: "How could you not see a 6' tall man with a walker at the door you just came through? You a cop, or a blind man!?" (I was actually 6'2" at the time)

The counter lady took my money, and then told the deputy to wait, while she brought my beer out to my truck. I shuffled after her. The deputy stood there. The counter lady apologized, for no reason, and said that if she could, she'd piss in his coffee. She also gave me her cell # so that she could bring my beer out to my truck w/o me having to get out, until I got better.

She's a very nice lady.

59 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Funny you should mention that, because just today, as someone walked through a door and let it slam in my face as I followed them, I recalled a situation right after I'd gotten out of 6 weeks of rehab after breaking my thigh in 3 places, about 2 1/2 years ago... I think it was the first time I'd tried to drive anywhere, and do anything since I got out. I got out of my truck, pulled my walker out of the bed of my P/U truck, and started shuffling towards the door. Just then a sheriff's deputy pulled up, jumped out of his car, brushed past me and literally slammed the door in my face. Thankfully another person leaving the store held the door opened for me. The counter lady had seen me pull in, and had my 6 pack on the counter waiting for me. As I walked/shuffled to the counter to pay, the deputy dashed in front of me, and put his coffee cup and bag of doritos on the counter. The counter lady looked at him and said: "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to wait in line like everyone else". He looked around and was confused. A woman behind me said: "You just about knocked this poor man over getting through the door. You should be ashamed!"

He said.: "Ummm, sorry, I guess I didn't see you!"

The woman behind me said: "How could you not see a 6' tall man with a walker at the door you just came through? You a cop, or a blind man!?" (I was actually 6'2" at the time)

The counter lady took my money, and then told the deputy to wait, while she brought my beer out to my truck. I shuffled after her. The deputy stood there. The counter lady apologized, for no reason, and said that if she could, she'd piss in his coffee. She also gave me her cell # so that she could bring my beer out to my truck w/o me having to get out, until I got better.

She's a very nice lady.

She will find some way to piss in his coffee.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

She will find some way to piss in his coffee.

I think that particular deputy has gone on to greener pastures in the prison guard business.... Probably a better place for him.

2 hours ago, Voyageur said:

I think there are probably some fine people that fly the confederate flag. We should help them. Do they deserve it?

Their God, guns and ammunition are not enough to get them through this crisis? Could we send bibles and bullets?

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

She's a very nice lady.

And she got a life time customer and lots of referrals. 

34 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I think that particular deputy has gone on to greener pastures in the prison guard business.... Probably a better place for him.

Many guys go into law enforcement because they want to be white-hat Good Guys and heroes, and serve the public. Yeah it's a juvenile dream but it's a dream nontheless and we should encourage those to live up to it.

Others go into it because they like bossing people around and beating people up. Being a prison guard is a more natural place for them.

- DSK

Texas is home to millions of big-hearted people, but they are not the ones in charge of the state. 

I well recall in the early 2000's how TX energy traders (mostly ENRON) gamed the Cali system to become the wild west of electricity. 

They spiked up electricity costs in Cali, and laughed about granny's freezing in the dark (seriously, they did exactly that). 

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/blackout/etc/script.html

I don't recall a whole lot of sympathy from TX about that Cali crisis. 

But soft-hearted leftie that I am, I want to help TX anyway. 

And this is how we progressives differ from the Reich, Nicht wahr ?? 

• Like 1

This is just Texas' way of showing liberals there is no Global Warming.

They should rake the ice off their power lines more often. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, El Borracho said:

Their God, guns and ammunition are not enough to get them through this crisis? Could we send bibles and bullets?

Paper towels.

15 minutes ago, Raz'r said:
1 hour ago, El Borracho said:

Paper towels.

The first week or so of the quarantine, when every idiot was stocking up on toilet paper, I had to a shopping run. I went to my favorite Berkeley Bowl for most things. They had a run on toilet paper, chicken and butter IIRC. But I also went to Viks which an Indian grocer attached to Viks Chaat Cafe. They have an awesome selection of basmati rice; it's all good as for as I'm concerned. But they have huge table set aside just for ginger. Viks is the goto place for ginger and they turn it over fast.

It was completely empty. The South Asians, when confronted with an existential crisis of continental scale, went for the good stuff, the important stuff. They cleaned out Viks ginger supply.

8 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Let’s remember most Americans do not and  never did support the previous administration or its psychopath in chief. 
Let’s help fellow Americans 

Gouv, of course, and I hope you and yours are safe. I feel for those facing danger.  But please understand the schadenfreude inherent in the situation. 

it’s not like Cruz and your gov, etc won’t be slamming California next fall or NY if there’s a wayward ‘cane. Their memories are about 2 seconds long.

33 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Gouv, of course, and I hope you and yours are safe. I feel for those facing danger.  But please understand the schadenfreude inherent in the situation. 

it’s not like Cruz and your gov, etc won’t be slamming California next fall or NY if there’s a wayward ‘cane. Their memories are about 2 seconds long.

I read somewhere that goldfish have about a 3 second memory.  Goldfish have better memories than Cruz.  No big surprise

6 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

I read somewhere that goldfish have about a 3 second memory.  Goldfish have better memories than Cruz.  No big surprise

And goldfish can live under water. Let's do an experiment, and see if Cruz can live underwater for..... Oh say..... Just a few hours.....

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

And goldfish can live under water. Let's do an experiment, and see if Cruz can live underwater for..... Oh say..... Just a few hours.....

20 minutes. That's not asking too much, is it?

12 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

My garden pond is under 2’ of snow. Cannot get to the aerator or pump. Hope there is enough dissolved oxygen in the water for the goldfish to survive.  Otherwise come Spring (it is coming, isn’t it?) I’ll have to buy more for the granddaughters to feed.

28 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

My garden pond is under 2’ of snow. Cannot get to the aerator or pump. Hope there is enough dissolved oxygen in the water for the goldfish to survive.  Otherwise come Spring (it is coming, isn’t it?) I’ll have to buy more for the granddaughters to feed.

I've seen the little buggers live after being frozen in ice. Not much metabolism going on at 33 degrees...

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I've seen the little buggers live after being frozen in ice. Not much metabolism going on at 33 degrees...

When the ice is first out of the pond you can damn near catch them by hand their metabolism is so slow

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

We have a pond with no pump. It can be frozen over for weeks. Some fish always survive. They get pretty catatonic. We stop feeding them in late fall. 

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

We have a pond with no pump. It can be frozen over for weeks. Some fish always survive. They get pretty catatonic. We stop feeding them in late fall. 

We use 2 different kinds of food pellets.  Stuff designed for water under 50f and water over 50f.  Water goes under 49f we stop feeding.  Come Spring it takes a few days for them to get used to coming close to get fed.

in the 20 years we have had the pond; herons and wild minks have wiped out our fish population at least 3 times.  Feel as though I’m running a sushi bar for wildlife.  These are cheap goldfish.  I have a neighbor who had a pond full of koi wiped out.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Can you name any "states that supported the insurrection"?

Well, Texas did, if you include their attempt at interfering in other states' elections.

22 hours ago, bhyde said:

This is just Texas' way of showing liberals there is no Global Warming.

They should rake the ice off their power lines more often. 

They could always ask the Jews to melt the ice with their space lasers.

3 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Not really the insurrection, no?

depends on what you call the insurrection, as the seeds were planted even before the election...

8 hours ago, Raz'r said:

depends on what you call the insurrection, as the seeds were planted even before the election...

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title18/part1/chapter115&edition=prelim

"If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or ..."

I think some key words are apparent.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:34 AM, Gouvernail said:

Let’s remember most Americans do not and  never did support the previous administration or its psychopath in chief. 
Let’s help fellow Americans 

Can we start by revoking Cruz' passport while he's still in Mexico?

• Like 1