I sail a Figaro One almost always single handed PHRF. Low key beer can racing. I’ve recently come into possession of a new facnor wire furler but for the life of me I can’t see much advantage over my current normal furler. I understand that with the wire furler you can furl a sail that has hanks but so what? Can anyone tell me about the gear and wh6 I should or shouldn’t use it? Thanks. 

What I call my normal furler is just a furl-ex? With the normal foil with 2 #6 grooves. I’m just wondering if sail changes are quicker with the facnor or what exactly it’s for. 

Hanks can make shorthanded sail changes a bit easier, the sail remains attached to the forestay the whole time. 

I’m guessing the other benefits would be weight savings and ability to use a continuous furling line which can be more reliable and easier to unsnarl when things do go wrong. 

Your thinking seems like my own which suggests there is really no major advantage to installing it on my boat. Could well work for someone with no furler at all who wants a furler and would save them removing hanks from their current sails sails. So unless someone else pipes up with an idea we haven’t considered I guess I will put it on Craigslist. 

Early Facnor FTG jib furlers that were original equipment on FT10s did not work well in breezy conditions (>15ktsTWV); top of the jib furled slower than the bottom.

Additional downside was that the forestay length of the furler could only be adjusted externally below the drum and the battens had to be vertical.

You can also have a reefable jib and avoid some sail changes all together.  

37 minutes ago, Roleur said:

You can also have a reefable jib and avoid some sail changes all together.  

True. Reefable J1/J2s are fantastic when shorthanded or cruising.