Luna Rossa poor sportsmanship

Has to be one of the worst examples of poor sportsmanship we've seen in any event ever. My guess is that if this escalates it could derail the entire Prada Cup series and it will be need to reset to start from zero again

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-divide-over-prada-cup-covid-plans-as-luna-rossa-oppose-delay/NMFEYTYJETGYVB7NKNLF2WF26U/

The America's Cup Challenger of Record has issued a stunning ultimatum to event organisers: proceed with racing as planned despite uncertainty around Auckland's immediate Covid-19 restrictions, or award the Prada Cup final - and the right to challenge Team New Zealand for the Auld Mug - to Luna Rossa.The Challenger of Record will hold a press conference at 11am tomorrow to outline their position.

• Downvote 10

I guess you’re new to America’s Cup?

The 132 years of rule changing before Australia 2 won wasn’t too flash from a sportsmanship side of things either.

• Like 1

I do not see anything wrong with what Prada is doing, they are following the rules which were agreed upon.  Those asking for a delay are doing so for media purposes and that gets to the big problem with the AC, media and the chase for money.  ETNZ (if they win) has stated they are going venue shopping.  Why?  Money!  The racing is secondary.

• Like 11

LR are in a dominant position as InEOS have a bit of a pooch.

LR don't wish to give InEOS time to groom their mutt and insist on racing to schedule. Fair enough.

If a delay is needed it needs to preserve the advantage that LR have thus far earned. Lock bases for Challengers and Defender for the delay duration to minimise any advantage gained by any team.

Edit: current PR aside, Jimmy is a cunt. I'm sure this is all his doing.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, d2ba said:

Has to be one of the worst examples of poor sportsmanship we've seen in any event ever. My guess is that if this escalates it could derail the entire Prada Cup series and it will be need to reset to start from zero again

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-divide-over-prada-cup-covid-plans-as-luna-rossa-oppose-delay/NMFEYTYJETGYVB7NKNLF2WF26U/

The America's Cup Challenger of Record has issued a stunning ultimatum to event organisers: proceed with racing as planned despite uncertainty around Auckland's immediate Covid-19 restrictions, or award the Prada Cup final - and the right to challenge Team New Zealand for the Auld Mug - to Luna Rossa.The Challenger of Record will hold a press conference at 11am tomorrow to outline their position.

This has to be one of the most hysterical irrational posts on any internet forum.

How can it escalate? The defenders yacht club (RNZYS) is holding weekly sailing series tomorrow. Auckland has gone down to alert level two which allows the racing especially with the pre arranged protocols put in place for exactly this situation that they all expected had a high chance of occurring.

The COR is happy to proceed and it's their series to run.

Expect to see racing resume on Friday when everyone realises its inevitable.

Nice job by the Kiwis and INEOS to have a crack at saving their own interests. Laughable that they have no shame to actually paint a competitor in a bad light for WANTING to go sailing. Get on with it and stop throwing shit.

• Like 15
  • Downvote 1

My cousin (mio cuggino) read a notice on the AC website where they say some Italians eat their own kids. I'm not sure it's true, but if ACE and my cousin say so then fuck the Italians! :D

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Nutta said:

LR are in a dominant position as InEOS have a bit of a pooch.

LR don't wish to give InEOS time to groom their mutt and insist on racing to schedule. Fair enough.

If a delay is needed it needs to preserve the advantage that LR have thus far earned. Lock bases for Challengers and Defender for the delay duration to minimise any advantage gained by any team.

Edit: current PR aside, Jimmy is a cunt. I'm sure this is all his doing.

Completely agree. It's a nonsense to ask to LR to wait while Ineos keeps training, potentially filling-in the gap.

You either lock bases to freeze the scenario until you can race again or you play the event in lockdown with no spectators, as it is happening all over the covid world. 

Is it so difficult to understand @d2ba ?

• Like 2

So Italy wants to race now now now, or lock everyone out, because they currently hold the advantage.

Ineos wants to continue to work in the hopes they find a bit more speed.

The REALITY is that giving both teams more time is not inherently unfair.  It is also more likely to result in better racing.  But that decision (as far as I know) is up to the COR.

Giving them the additional time will likely result in better racing.  In a better spectacle.  In more entertainment for us.  Stopping NOW would only result in the Italians moving on.

Pretty obvious which is better.  But also pretty obvious that the COR will go with what benefits them, not what is better for the sport.

I posted elsewhere how Pietro Sibello was likely deprieved from winning an Olympic medal in 2008 becasue - for the sake of "sportsmanship" - someone allowed another team to race a medal race in complete violation of at least 3 rules. It would be really bad for him to find out that, once again, a great opportunity is taken away from him illegally, in the name of good sentiments. Also, it is unclear how LR's position can be tagged as "poor sportsmanship" as it would not add any damage to the competitor, but rather just to the on-site spectators.

Bring it on LR

#whateverittakes

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1

I will not post anymore in this thread since I find the title offensive and biased at the least. There are other threads where the discussion can go on.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

then stop the trainings for both teams. Why should Ineos be allowed to fill-in the gap?

If BOTH teams continue training then there is no inherent unfairness in extending the racing out longer.

As I said, the Italians are worried that Ineos may come up with some speed boost, but who knows?  it might actually benefit Prada if they are the ones who find the magic bullet to gain 10% performance and that's what allows them to be TNZ.

This ALL comes down to what they want this to be about.  Are they going to try to make it a more interesting event for everyone involved, or are they going to cater to 1 team.

And, folks may need to get a thicker skin over the whole 'delete this topic' thing.  As far as badness goes, this thread is pretty level-headed and fair.

5 hours ago, Dolphin65 said:

then stop the trainings for both teams. Why should Ineos be allowed to fill-in the gap?

so only INEOS are using the time to get better? seems a strange idea?

how about while AM was off the water the other boats should have stopped developing/sailing as that was unfair too?

I mean at the point AM crashed they were killing Prada, and while AM rebuilt Prada improved, was that fair?

Let me clarify,

imagine that at the end of race 4 LR was at the top of the curve development, while Ineos was behind. They (GB) made an investment in the shed (during semifinals) and they lack training on water.

With no lockdown, races would normally take place, and LR would keep her/his foot on the GB's throat , which would not have time to fill in the gap, and could loose the prada cup final.

Assuming this scenario,  due to postponed races, only GB would earn cash having more time to practice on water, while LR, who is at the top of the development curve, would loose his/her competitive advantage.

We don't have any proof that this is the correct scenario, but in doubt, wouldn't it be more fair to freeze all the teams, including kiwis, until lockdown is over?

3 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

wouldn't it be more fair to freeze all the teams, including kiwis, until lockdown is over?

The fairest way to proceed is by the agreed-to rules, if at all possible. Any delay can be argued to have been pressed for by any number of interests, yes including ETNZ’s continued, free for all, development in a game where ‘You can’t buy time.’ 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

so only INEOS are using the time to get better? seems a strange idea?

how about while AM was off the water the other boats should have stopped developing/sailing as that was unfair too?

I mean at the point AM crashed they were killing Prada, and while AM rebuilt Prada improved, was that fair?

Come on JAL, really?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, strider470 said:

I will not post anymore in this thread since I find the title offensive and biased at the least. There are other threads where the discussion can go on.

Ask @d2ba to add a question mark to the title and let Betteridge wash & rinse it for you.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The fairest way to proceed is by the agreed-to rules, if at all possible. Any delay can be argued to have been pressed for by any number of interests, yes including ETNZ’s continued, free for all, development in a game where ‘You can’t buy time.’ 

It’s a pity you weren’t and aren’t advocating this for the last two cycles. You were all for a class change last time , even though the class rule was agreed to, you were all for changes to the wind limits even though the rules were agreed to. Double standard much?

27 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

I don't know who this Tina Symmans  is, but she's not ready for the position she is in. Too much responsibility for too little preparation.

Big mouth, small brain.

The concept that it gives both teams more time to get better is bullshit imo.

if Luna Rossa has been working hard to maximize their performance and now they are in top form this delay is not fair if they allow ineos to continue to mine data and collect more data and experiment on the water. The racing is not just on the water no matter how romantic that sounds.

They should put the boats in parc ferme so to speak and make the crews watch the lord of the rings movies over and over. No working on telemetry or weather forecasting etc. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, strider470 said:

My cousin (mio cuggino) read a notice on the AC website where they say some Italians eat their own kids. I'm not sure it's true, but if ACE and my cousin say so then fuck the Italians! :D

It's ok, cos your kids taste of pasta.

Ours not so much cos they taste of fish and chips.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, d2ba said:

It was disgusting to see that Tina Symonds cunt challenge the integrity of a man/team who has spent 100's of millions in NZ over the last 20 years. There was a Covid plan in place for level 2 or 3, and she decided to change it. How in any way shape or form can Prada be called poor sportsmen? Makes me embarrassed as a Kiwi to see a bunch of AKL City Councillors challenge anyone's integrity. Just because the waterfront has been an absolute fucking disaster financially is no one's fault but there own. And people wonder why Dalt's will fuck off with the Cup and go to Europe. People have very short memories of TINA CUNT, she vilified Dalton last year............

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

I now can’t wait till Luna Rossa destroy the poms in the next three races ! The moaning is unbelievable. 

The reason INEOS supported the move was self interest. Guess what the forecast is for the next 3 days..................INEOS not foiling weather............

3 minutes ago, veritas said:

The reason INEOS supported the move was self interest. Guess what the forecast is for the next 3 days..................INEOS not foiling weather............

Yeah well aware.    To then cry bad sportsmanship WTF . 
like the protest oh the Italians this the Italians than.    Read the fucking rules ! 
Ben telling anyone about sportsmanship is a joke in itself. 

22 hours ago, d2ba said:

Really 

439CF673-BB44-435C-BD27-15822062449B.png

14 hours ago, Grrr... said:

If BOTH teams continue training then there is no inherent unfairness in extending the racing out longer.

As I said, the Italians are worried that Ineos may come up with some speed boost, but who knows?  it might actually benefit Prada if they are the ones who find the magic bullet to gain 10% performance and that's what allows them to be TNZ.

This ALL comes down to what they want this to be about.  Are they going to try to make it a more interesting event for everyone involved, or are they going to cater to 1 team.

And, folks may need to get a thicker skin over the whole 'delete this topic' thing.  As far as badness goes, this thread is pretty level-headed and fair.

The inherent unfairness is both teams are locked into measurement mode. The sly asshole in this story is ETNZ. They have unleashed their pets at ACE onto Prada, trying to push the times out. At the same time they get to do whatever development work they want.

The question is why are they so desperate to have this happen, don't tell me it is for a couple of hundred visitors to the viaduct.

Are they giving their new bum buddies on INEOS a reach around because Benny and the slow pokes have said they just need a couple more days to work out how to beat Prada.

Or have they worked out the new look Prada is faster and they are desperate for extra time to come up with an answer.

Either way, shit like this is part of the cup, but don't cry me a fucking river about how Prada are evil and ETNZ are angels come to save us. They are after the win and have thrown Prada under the bus. Fair enough, but pretending their shit doesn't stink by hiding in the shadows pulling strings.

Dalts should man up and front this shit or take the cup elsewhere and remove our countries name from their team. He, plus the team, are becoming an embarrassment.

As for the Kiwis piling in, grow the fuck up and think if the shoe was on the other foot. Remember the vitriol thrown for the lay day that was given and what that lead to. Now you are shitting on a team that doesn't want to open themselves up to the same thing. Embarrassing assholes all of you.

22 hours ago, sailman said:

I do not see anything wrong with what Prada is doing, they are following the rules which were agreed upon.  Those asking for a delay are doing so for media purposes and that gets to the big problem with the AC, media and the chase for money.  ETNZ (if they win) has stated they are going venue shopping.  Why?  Money!  The racing is secondary.

Well said... Yip Daltons only loyalty is to his bank balance.

Kiwis are suckers for any team that puts NZ in their name.

ETNZ is not representative of NZ. It's a private company.

The new billionaire sponsor ( replacing Emirates) will call the tune.

And you pricks give Coutts are hard time ..FFS!

On 2/17/2021 at 9:24 PM, d2ba said:

Blah blah blah

Do you actually have the ability for free thought? Or are you so ignorant that you happily regurgitate stuff without even one brain cell getting involved in the process? Either way, your mom said it's time for bed big boy.

The only idiots in all this is the chinese...

They gave us Covid and Fucked up the whole world, killed millions, and compromised the economies of the world...  And everything else!

ACE come second for putting feeble spectators ahead of yacht races.

NZ Government and it's border control are 2nd equal for putting the AC in this situation by letting C19 in.

end of!!!

On 2/17/2021 at 6:24 PM, d2ba said:

This dispute can be summarised as:

1. level 3 restrictIons were imposed on Sunday night
  2. This meant no visitors to the event site, so loss of revenue for ACE. It did not mean the races could not continue under level 3 restrictions
  3. ACE wanted to move the schedule by 7 days in the hope that restrictions would be reduced to allow visitors to the event site
  4. LR said no, let’s proceed using the agreed protocols and conditions for the restrictions
  5. ACE got shitty so bad mouthed LR on the official AC web site and withdrew on water support so racing could not continue
  6. level 3 restrictions were reduced to level 2 on Wednesday night. 
  7. ACE will start providing on water support again on Saturday, still under level 2 restrictions

The delay in racing has been solely at the discretion of ACE. LR wanted to race per the schedule under agreed conditions.

To conclude that this shows bad sportsmanship by LR is irrational. It actually shows that ACE will promote its commercial interests over and above the fair running of the event it’s tasked with managing and is prepared to sully the reputation of anyone who does not agree with it. That is simply bullying and should not be tolerated.

• Like 10

I found the release of the document by ACE minutes before the press conference absolutely despicable, and the attacks on the COR extremely violent.

Of course the respect of the rules goes, in this particular case, to LR's advantage (light weather planned for the weekend, less catch-up time for Ineos, and more preparation time for them before facing the defender, if it had to be so), but in any case, one cannot be accused of a lack of sportsmanship because one wishes to respect these rules, which took months to be established, and for which situations related to COVID cannot have been excluded.
The press rightly highlights the divorce between Italians and New Zealanders, and this is clearly an unhealthy game of influence. In this particular case it seems to me that it is ACE that is showing malice.

• Like 3

So in reality what’s happened? A bit of mid-week AC racing has been missed out and hopefully a SARS Cov2 spike in NZ is delayed.

(No nation state beats a gain-of-function mutating flu bug indefinitely)

For sure the Italians had a Prada Cup Final winning momentum going… however it’s theoretical that this would have continued even if they’d raced yesterday. Likely but not guaranteed.

The slight delay equally affects our Italian competitors, as it does INEOS in the exact same way. Positively and not.

I don’t blame LRPP for putting the pressure on to ‘get back at it’… however these wise words come to mind:

“Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis...”

2 hours ago, RobG said:

This dispute can be summarised as:

1. level 3 restrictIons were imposed on Sunday night
  2. This meant no visitors to the event site, so loss of revenue for ACE. It did not mean the races could not continue under level 3 restrictions
  3. ACE wanted to move the schedule by 7 days in the hope that restrictions would be reduced to allow visitors to the event site
  4. LR said no, let’s proceed using the agreed protocols and conditions for the restrictions
  5. ACE got shitty so bad mouthed LR on the official AC web site and withdrew on water support so racing could not continue
  6. level 3 restrictions were reduced to level 2 on Wednesday night. 
  7. ACE will start providing on water support again on Saturday, still under level 2 restrictions

The delay in racing has been solely at the discretion of ACE. LR wanted to race per the schedule under agreed conditions.

To conclude that this shows bad sportsmanship by LR is irrational. It actually shows that ACE will promote its commercial interests over and above the fair running of the event it’s tasked with managing and is prepared to sully the reputation of anyone who does not agree with it. That is simply bullying and should not be tolerated.

Well said

5 hours ago, veritas said:

If Ben ever tried it on with Jimmy? Fuck there would be pieces of Ben between here and the RYS in Cowes, check this out....

jimmy tow foiling.. that got what do do with anything?

Bit like INEOS really. What's it got to do with anything? Nothing really other than the guy is an athlete, loves the ocean and loves living every minute of the day. Hey I guess your life is so much better.......

2 minutes ago, veritas said:

Bit like INEOS really. What's it got to do with anything? Nothing really other than the guy is an athlete, loves the ocean and loves living every minute of the day. Hey I guess your life is so much better.......

God I just wish I could be in Southampton now, and the waves in summer, to die for. Just think in 3 days time we won't have to bother about you twats....surf hard dude

Already posted in the Prada Cup thread, sorry, but I think here is a better place.

Italians in sports can be (and often are) as son of a bitch as people of other countries. Assholes follow no nationality rule. But in this more than 20 years long adventure of Luna Rossa in the America's Cup I believe that nobody can accuse the team of cheating or poor sportsmanship. On the contrary, LR always showed class, on and off the water. Italian media are stressing how bad our team is being recently treated by ACE and also by some NZ media. This is sad because there has (rightly) always been respect and admiration between the two teams.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Already posted in the Prada Cup thread, sorry, but I think here is a better place.

Italians in sports can be (and often are) as son of a bitch as people of other countries. Assholes follow no nationality rule. But in this more than 20 years long adventure of Luna Rossa in the America's Cup I believe that nobody can accuse the team of cheating or poor sportsmanship. On the contrary, LR always showed class, on and off the water. Italian media are stressing how bad our team is being recently treated by ACE and also by some NZ media. This is sad because there has (rightly) always been respect and admiration between the two teams.

100% mate. I am embarrassed as a Kiwi. To insult Bertelli personally is a disgrace from a fat uneducated cunt representing the face of AKL. All the people I know love and support Prada and your average person in NZ hates the English almost as much as AUS (but has respect for both, well probably not AUS, sandpaper, under arm bowling etc). People seem to forget the thousands that have died in Italy. In NZ 24 people died, most, with other significant health issues

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Very good common sense, well said :)

39 minutes ago, veritas said:

God I just wish I could be in Southampton now, and the waves in summer, to die for. Just think in 3 days time we won't have to bother about you twats....surf hard dude

Awesome stalking.. have a gold star

pretty happy with life to be fair, what's your excuse? 71 posts and here just to start a rabble, lives in NZ supports Prada and hates INEOS and  ETNZ as well as  ACE? what's the story with that?

1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

pretty happy with life to be fair, what's your excuse? 71 posts and here just to start a rabble, lives in NZ supports Prada and hates INEOS and  ETNZ as well as  ACE? what's the story with that?

Just can't help yourself eh?  Don't hate anyone and oddly a house in Cowes. Love ETNZ for their sailing, dislike a group of people controlled by Dalt's disrespecting someone like Bertelli and Prada. I think Ben and the boys are incredible sailors but not showing it lately but with them paying $2.90 for a win I will back them hard for the afternoon race Saturday simply because they are not slow.

Next question?

20 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

We all have weird site names, mine included but do you take hazardous waste (i.e shit) off Japanese Airline planes?

23 hours ago, bortolo said:

I posted elsewhere how Pietro Sibello was likely deprieved from winning an Olympic medal in 2008 becasue - for the sake of "sportsmanship" - someone allowed another team to race a medal race in complete violation of at least 3 rules. It would be really bad for him to find out that, once again, a great opportunity is taken away from him illegally, in the name of good sentiments. Also, it is unclear how LR's position can be tagged as "poor sportsmanship" as it would not add any damage to the competitor, but rather just to the on-site spectators.

Bring it on LR

#whateverittakes

If you are talking about the 2008 Olympic Regatta where the Danes broke their mast in the 49er Class and were lent a boat by the Croatians? 

If so then you are blowing it out of your ass! You clearly have no idea of what actually happened, what a dil'.

When the Danes were on the water prior to the medal race they capsized breaking their mast. The broken mast also damaged the mast step in a manner that could not be repaired in time. (A relacement of the mast alone was out of the question)  So entirely within the rules the Croatians lent their boat (replacement equipment) to the Danes. The Danes were in Gold Medal position before the medal race by the way.

At the time the sailors were completely fine with the outcome. The three teams dropped down the medal table, the Germans, the Spanish and the Italians, did not protest because unlike bortolo they knew the rules of the event. It was the Italian Olympic Committee and the Spanish Olympic Committee took the matter to the CAS who found there was absolutely nothing outwith the rules in the actions of either the Danes or the Croatians.

How can i be so certain? Well, I was actually there and applauded the sportsmanship of the Croatians along with everyone else in the vicinity and more particularly their coach who initially spotted the Danes dilemma.

It would have been a particularly shitty way for Sibello to win a Bronze Medal otherwise don't you think?

As further justification of this incident the Croatians were awarded the greatest honour in the Olympic Games by the IOC, the Pierre de Couberton Medal. If you don't know what that is - look it up!

Sportsmanship? LRPP claim they don't want any of the rules changed so why did they agree with ETNZ for the upper wind limit to be reduced from 23kts to 21kts  which would certainly potentially disadvantage one team more than others - or was that not considered a change of a rule? You tell me. 

Cant help my self? What are you on about now? 

obviously you are going very well, live in NZ with a house in Cowes? Hell of a commute. 

as for the name? Yes I do, you got me bang to rights, well done top deduction. 

I'd say impossible commute at the moment, 24 hour flight and 14 days quarantine each way

Cant help my self? What are you on about now? 

obviously you are going very well, live in NZ with a house in Cowes? Hell of a commute. 

as for the name? Yes I do, you got me bang to rights, well done top deduction. 

No need to commute mate got people paying me to rent it. So you are literally dealing with shit all day? There are easier ways bro, like betting on Prada 7-0 (only paying $1.80) or really backing the boys at $2.90

5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I'd say impossible commute at the moment, 24 hour flight and 14 days quarantine each way

Well done Sherlock. China must hate that Trump has gone

3 minutes ago, veritas said:

No need to commute mate got people paying me to rent it. So you are literally dealing with shit all day? There are easier ways bro, like betting on Prada 7-0 (only paying $1.80) or really backing the boys at $2.90

Yes I fucking love it love getting in the cubicles after a long haul flight 

thank you for the tips. bro.

Yes I fucking love it love getting in the cubicles after a long haul flight 

thank you for the tips. bro.

Better during me ole mucka. So the low down is I think the breeze will build in the afternoon Saturday but may not be fully established in the first race because it is getting hot again and the gradient is dying off. Downside is no more course C (North Head, shifty) and will be D? Either way away from land effect. Like I said and you have seen Ben is not slow and I reckon he will win at least a few

19 minutes ago, veritas said:

Well done Sherlock. China must hate that Trump has gone

Where has your humour button gone?

Once again completely amazed when someone avoids the intermediate steps of banter and descends directly to insults and throws race into the mix as well. 

Need to brush up on your geopolitics as well then? I don't think anyone in China hates that Trump has gone. I think more important is that at least 80 million American's are glad he is gone along with another significant section who are likely disgusted by his post election behaviour. 

At least the current incumbent of the White House is less likely to try and blame someone else for their incompetence in dealing with the pandemic raging across America.

Enjoy your time at home in NZL and the racing.

Now what was this forum thread about again? 

Liked your last post, the fat lady hasn't even cleared her throat yet. Remember Endeavour's 2-0 lead or Liberty 3-1 in 1983 or Spithill 8-1 down in San Francisco. There is still a bit of racing to go 

3 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Once again completely amazed when someone doesn't have the intelligence to avoid the intermediate steps of banter and descends directly to insults. 

Need to brush up on your geopolitics as well then? I don't think anyone in China hates that Trump has gone. I think more important is that at least 80 million American's are glad he is gone along with another significant section who are likely disgusted by his post election behaviour. 

At least the current incumbent of the White House is less likely to try and blame someone else for their incompetence in dealing with the pandemic raging across America.

Liked your last post, the fat lady hasn't even cleared her throat yet. Remember Endeavour's 2-0 lead or Liberty 3-1 in 1983 or Spithill 8-1 down in San Francisco. There is still a bit of racing to go 

I just got bored so back to porn and online betting

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Once again completely amazed when someone avoids the intermediate steps of banter and descends directly to insults and throws race into the mix as well. 

Is there much coverage of the cup there mate? 

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

If you are talking about the 2008 Olympic Regatta where the Danes broke their mast in the 49er Class and were lent a boat by the Croatians? 

If so then you are blowing it out of your ass! You clearly have no idea of what actually happened, what a dil'.

When the Danes were on the water prior to the medal race they capsized breaking their mast. The broken mast also damaged the mast step in a manner that could not be repaired in time. (A relacement of the mast alone was out of the question)  So entirely within the rules the Croatians lent their boat (replacement equipment) to the Danes. The Danes were in Gold Medal position before the medal race by the way.

At the time the sailors were completely fine with the outcome. The three teams dropped down the medal table, the Germans, the Spanish and the Italians, did not protest because unlike bortolo they knew the rules of the event. It was the Italian Olympic Committee and the Spanish Olympic Committee took the matter to the CAS who found there was absolutely nothing outwith the rules in the actions of either the Danes or the Croatians.

How can i be so certain? Well, I was actually there and applauded the sportsmanship of the Croatians along with everyone else in the vicinity and more particularly their coach who initially spotted the Danes dilemma.

It would have been a particularly shitty way for Sibello to win a Bronze Medal otherwise don't you think?

As further justification of this incident the Croatians were awarded the greatest honour in the Olympic Games by the IOC, the Pierre de Couberton Medal. If you don't know what that is - look it up!

Sportsmanship? LRPP claim they don't want any of the rules changed so why did they agree with ETNZ for the upper wind limit to be reduced from 23kts to 21kts  which would certainly potentially disadvantage one team more than others - or was that not considered a change of a rule? You tell me. 

One can always count on these forums to be insulted. I admit I was not there and the information I have is only from the media, but it is different from what you state. What i read at the time says that the following 3 rules were broken:

- Medal race boats are supposed to be in a closed "quarantined" area from the night before. The croatian boat was not there
- Boats should race with the flag of the crew's country to race. The Danes raced under Croatian flag
- Boats in the medal race were to have a camera installed
All 3 rules are irrelevant for performance but yet they are rules.

Regarding protests, again the info I have is different: according to the media Italy protested, applied to ISAF and later to CIO.

If one wants to be more cynical, we may even argument that to deserve a glod medal you must take care of your boat and try to avoid dismasting. If you take more risk then you should bear the consequences for respect of those who managed to avoid it. This happens all the times in sailing. Or otherwise how far would you go with sportsmanship? Would you declare Alex Thomson winner of the Vendee Globe because he was faster than anyone else before he screwed up his boat?

Again, this is being cynical as I understand the general consent is that the Danes were a step above everyone else on that occasion, but then again if you start ignoring the rule then where do you stop? Regarding LRPP and the change of wind limit, I am not aware of the process but I guess if it was done it is legal according to the rules. 

I think that what happened on that medal race should've never happened. On a medal race usually you have to control your rivals as much as you have to win the race, I'm not sure the Spaniards and the Italians were aware that their most dangerous rivals were sailing under a different flag. 

Maybe they did I don't know, but I recall being really pissed off that day.

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Some assume A4E/dg_sailingfan/Baconator is a Kiwi as I am, exactly as much as I am.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Some assume A4E/dg_sailingfan/Baconator is a Kiwi as I am, exactly as much as I am.

Exactly. Think it’s a4e/dg. baconboy seems slightly less scatter gun. 

either way the betting tips are going to see me out of my 9-5 job at Japan air lines... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Exactly. Think it’s a4e/dg. baconboy seems slightly less scatter gun. 

either way the betting tips are going to see me out of my 9-5 job at Japan air lines... 

But a4e/dg used lots of capitalized words that one need not cap in English. Think it's someone else.

I'm still far more upset over ETNZ shopping around the Hosting.

THAT is disgraceful & disrespecting to the people of NZ, the people of Auckland, central & local Govt, to the RNZYS and worst of all to the institution of the AC.

This stouch is just yet more cuntyness on top of all the rest emanating from ETNZ/ACE & GD definitely ain't to blame. Again.

• Like 1
On 2/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, Enzedel92 said:

Stop making a stupid fucking new thread on this.  For fucks sake.  Every 4 years you get a bunch of needy attention seeking dumbasses that start useless ass threads.....

OK hang on.  I have been here for longer than you know.  The new thread brings new interest and if you don't go to individual rooms and just click unread content u never see the old threads.  I know I was in PA most of the election, so , frankly, I have not paid much attention to the AC,  this thread brought me back and is getting me caught up.  Apparently there are some (I really don't want to use the term as it has political undertones, I just can't think of another word.) snowflakes over on this side too.  LOL

On 2/18/2021 at 10:47 PM, bortolo said:

One can always count on these forums to be insulted. I admit I was not there and the information I have is only from the media, but it is different from what you state. What i read at the time says that the following 3 rules were broken:

- Medal race boats are supposed to be in a closed "quarantined" area from the night before. The croatian boat was not there
- Boats should race with the flag of the crew's country to race. The Danes raced under Croatian flag
- Boats in the medal race were to have a camera installed
All 3 rules are irrelevant for performance but yet they are rules.

Regarding protests, again the info I have is different: according to the media Italy protested, applied to ISAF and later to CIO.

If one wants to be more cynical, we may even argument that to deserve a glod medal you must take care of your boat and try to avoid dismasting. If you take more risk then you should bear the consequences for respect of those who managed to avoid it. This happens all the times in sailing. Or otherwise how far would you go with sportsmanship? Would you declare Alex Thomson winner of the Vendee Globe because he was faster than anyone else before he screwed up his boat?

Again, this is being cynical as I understand the general consent is that the Danes were a step above everyone else on that occasion, but then again if you start ignoring the rule then where do you stop? Regarding LRPP and the change of wind limit, I am not aware of the process but I guess if it was done it is legal according to the rules. 

You may have heard of the term exoneration in our sport (and many others).

There are some occasions when through no fault of their own a competitor may not be able to comply with the rules. The Danes clearly could not comply with the rules that you quote. Not just in my opinion but in the opinion of the International Jury, the International Olympic Committee and the Court of Arbitration for Sport and i think these three august bodies are a little bit sharper with the rules than either you or I.

I am not sure where you get your 'rules' from but, although it is some time since i watched the footage of the medal races i don't recall any footage of any boat from any medal race. Are you sure you haven't confused Qingdao 2008 with some other event.

To suggest it was their own fault for capsizing shows a complete lack of knowledge or understanding. It was a 'dogs off chains' day with horizontal rain and every single boat ending up at least on its side during the medal race. The conditions were appalling, so appalling in fact that one of the USD250,000 super waterproof and gimballed cameras became waterlogged - so cameras on boats? forget it. At times those on the breakwater beside the medal course could hardly see the action as the boats battled up to 2m seas  

Your other information is incorrect to the best of my knowledge. I know that Iker and Xabi were quite OK with it, (disappointed of course) both at the time and much later. I got to know both 3 VOR's ago when my daughter did most of the race with Telefonica's shore team and subsequently Xabi somewhat better when I involved with DFRT Xabi became good friends with Charles DFRT's skipper. 

A couple of links for you

DANES KEEP THEIR 49ER GOLD FROM QINGDAO - Royal Cork Yacht Club

Sailing - Danes keep 49er gold after protest | Reuters

But what you are saying is that the above mentioned bodies (IJ; IOC; CAS) know less about  fairly applying the rules than you do?

Attempting to muddy what happened 12 years ago only serves to attempt demean or diminish what, at the time, was considered to be an incredible piece of sportsmanship by the Croatian sailors and their coach and just smells so much of National Interest! Don't try and rewrite history, it doesn't usually work.

BTW, it was a great day for the Brits in the challenging conditions. The Blondes in a Boat and Ben Ainslie both took Gold for GBR in their respective medal races. 

Shopping around the hosting, who would have thought GD would follow in the footsteps of LE/RC? Can't get hundreds of millions more out of NZ but UAE would be happy to pay to host a world class event. Not to my taste, but they would pay. 

35 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Shopping around the hosting, who would have thought GD would follow in the footsteps of LE/RC? Can't get hundreds of millions more out of NZ but UAE would be happy to pay to host a world class event. Not to my taste, but they would pay. 

On one hand, it would remain to be seen if the Dubai bubble had burst by then (low crude prices in the area). On the other, there could be a splendid (for the teams) bidding war with Qatar

7 minutes ago, Xlot said:

On one hand, it would remain to be seen if the Dubai bubble had burst by then (low crude prices in the area). On the other, there could be a splendid (for the teams) bidding war with Qatar

Oh heck, get Rocket Man interested in sailing and North Korea might divert some ICBM money...