Delay or award Prada Cup

Delay or award Prada Cup  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Prada Cup be delayed until restrictions are eased or should it be awarded to Luna Rossa on the scheduled end date

• Delay it and settle it on the water
    • Award it to Luna Rossa

Should the Prada Cup be delayed until restrictions are eased or should it be awarded to Luna Rossa on the scheduled end date. 

I think it should be delayed. When the dates were agreed for the Prada Cup and America's Cup match we lived in a different world. 

• Like 1

Why do they have to delay the Prada Cup?  The organisers have until the 24th to get it finished.  What is wrong with running the event under Level 2?  Surely it doesn't effect the competitors - with only a numbers restriction on the event center. 

Delays might be even be advantageous to Ineos to get their act together.  Surely a weeks or more delay while waiting for the level to drop to level one, would cause an outrage with Prada supporters if Ineos prevailed to win the Prada Cup.

With the rules supporting Prada, why would they choose to allow the rules to be changed?

• Like 2

Common sense says that you delay however long is required to complete the racing. A delay will suit some teams better than others, but determining the result on the water, even if it impacts some teams' work-up times, seems to be the least worst option.

The rules appear to say it's all over on 24th Feb, even if the scheduled races can't be completed.

In the absence of a consensus (which there doesn't appear to be), the rules take precedence over common sense - nothing unusual here, it's how most of the World works. So we can argue until we're blue in the face, but if Luna Rossa want a hard deadline on 24th Feb, that's what they'll get.

• Like 2

I vote neither option here -I vote race now.  What on earth is the release from iain Murray today saying they don't have on water resources.... I've never heard such crap!  In the end Prada are playing serious hardball within the rules.  They are 4-0 up and any delay for them just gives Ineos time to improve.  Why on earth would they do that?  

I'm an Aucklander - i'd love all races to be sailed with a huge spectator fleet in our amazing harbour, but the fact is in L2 racing can take place - and Prada are well within their rights to want to race.  They won't make friends with the tone of their press release - but they have the rules on their side....

• Like 12
29 minutes ago, aucklander said:

I vote neither option here -I vote race now.  What on earth is the release from iain Murray today saying they don't have on water resources.... I've never heard such crap!  In the end Prada are playing serious hardball within the rules.  They are 4-0 up and any delay for them just gives Ineos time to improve.  Why on earth would they do that?  

I'm an Aucklander - i'd love all races to be sailed with a huge spectator fleet in our amazing harbour, but the fact is in L2 racing can take place - and Prada are well within their rights to want to race.  They won't make friends with the tone of their press release - but they have the rules on their side....

Yes, very clearly stated. Hopefully now that it is L2 they will reconvene and agree to race from Friday. Sorry for spectators but it is what other sports do. Better run the PC and the AC as soon as possible, just in case there are more covid problems in paradise next month.

• Like 3

I voted neither, as both sides have equally good arguments. 

What I don't understand is that there is no force majeure clause in the rules. A beginner's omission, it's a mystery how this could happen. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

What I don't understand is that there is no force majeure clause in the rules. A beginner's omission, it's a mystery how this could happen. 

Yes good point Ren, they should have included provisions for this kind of situation, I should have added another option to the poll ^_^

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

But apparently, they explicitly prepared a plan to cope with a reasonably light Covid emergency (level 2 and 3).

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, strider470 said:

But apparently, they explicitly prepared a plan to cope with a reasonably light Covid emergency (level 2 and 3).

When is the SF21 launch date mate? <_<

I haven't voted because the poll doesn't reflect the current situation. If it's possible to race under level 2 restrictions then it can be settled on the water this weekend (or Wednesday 24th latest), no need for delay.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, marlowe said:

I haven't voted because the poll doesn't reflect the current situation. If it's possible to race under level 2 restrictions then it can be settled on the water this weekend (or Wednesday 24th latest), no need for delay.

Yeah I know its a shitty poll with shitty options alright, I'll put more thought into it the next time:D

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Delay both Prada and Americas cup, locking all bases, including the kiwis

That would certainly solve questions of who might gain or lose development time.

• Like 1

Seems like the issue isn't as straight forward as it looks. I think LR should agree to the delay if what Murray said yesterday is true and they actually do not have enough on water resources right now for whatever reason. Otherwise, if they are allowed and have the staff to race, they should race.

• Like 1

Ok I am an INEOS fan but if the rules are the rules then we stand or fall by them. There maybe long term repercussions in relation to the AC but we know the AC is about rules. I cant knock the Italians for wanting to keep to the rules if they go that way.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Dave S said:

Common sense says that you delay however long is required to complete the racing.

Maybe those involved have others things to do or places to be in April, May etc! I’m sure we've all been in regattas that have been affected by the weather - you can’t just keep extending the event because everyone has work on Monday morning :)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dullers said:

Ok I am an INEOS fan but if the rules are the rules then we stand or fall by them. There maybe long term repercussions in relation to the AC but we know the AC is about rules. I cant knock the Italians for wanting to keep to the rules if they go that way.

Win or lose I want the teams to finish the series on the water. And nothing is already 100% decided, I have great respect for INEOS. I'm sure all this fuss about the postponement is not something against ITUK, but it was caused by the deteriorated relationship between COR and ACE.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

Maybe those involved have others things to do or places to be in April, May etc! I’m sure we've all been in regattas that have been affected by the weather - you can’t just keep extending the event because everyone has work on Monday morning :)

Two major differences:

1. For most of us, a regatta is just a holiday. No-one but the competitors cares a jot about the results. There's no money at stake. The next venue has already been decided, generally on the basis of who is actually willing to run the event. Even at a Worlds, most of the fleet are probably more worried about getting the boats into the container and catching their flight home than whether they come 17th or 19th.

2. This *is* work on a Monday morning.

3 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Two major differences:

1. For most of us, a regatta is just a holiday. No-one but the competitors cares a jot about the results. There's no money at stake. The next venue has already been decided, generally on the basis of who is actually willing to run the event. Even at a Worlds, most of the fleet are probably more worried about getting the boats into the container and catching their flight home than whether they come 17th or 19th.

2. This *is* work on a Monday morning.

Logistically this is still true at the AC. Sheds and sites are leased for a defined period, shipping transport needs arranging, most of the staff probably have other work lined up as of April which even if not as glamorous and well paid is still necessary to pay bills because I doubt many are on permanent pay roll.  

• Like 1

I think we all forget that this is just the qualifier. Now, TNZ might say fine, push back the main event, but why should they care how many races are run in the quals?

What Dolphin65 said.

Or -- The Prada Final series was started before this increased lockdown and the designated race days and lay days are set in place.  If time runs out give it to the one with the best score.  Do not let teams practice other than the designated race or lay days.

A shit ton of billionaire money and earths resources have been burned through by each team to try and win a trophy.  I cant see why any team (including ETNZ) would want to give extra time for their competitors to practice, improve or fix stuff if they feel they have an advantage.

What if LR broke something and asked for more time?  Would GB give it to them out of kindness or good sportsmanship?

Maybe a better question is should this travelling circus have been postponed until after a worldwide pandemic was considered under control?

6 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

From Sail-World.

If racing is stopped beyond Wednesday, then INEOS Team UK would appear to have a case to take to the Arbitration Panel to have the series declared to be affected by a Force Majeure, and the Arbitration panel would make a ruling which is binding on all parties. The Arbitration Panel has twice ruled on Force Majeure triggered by COVID-19 and the outcome was the cancellation of the two America's Cup World Series regattas scheduled for April and June 2020.

While the Prada Cup Final cannot be cancelled, the Arbitration Panel must make a ruling (as must and Int Jury) on redress issues which are equitable to all affected competitors.

45 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Am happy with or without a delay but am pretty certain LR will not agree one, which is perfectly within their right. 

They might agree if it was shown to be absolutely impossible to race under level 2 restrictions (though this doesn't seem to be the case). I think their own statement leaves this window open. Apparently (reported in Farevela) LR will hold a press conference at 11am Thursday NZ . Maybe that will clarify.

18 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

From Sail-World.

If racing is stopped beyond Wednesday, then INEOS Team UK would appear to have a case to take to the Arbitration Panel to have the series declared to be affected by a Force Majeure, and the Arbitration panel would make a ruling which is binding on all parties. The Arbitration Panel has twice ruled on Force Majeure triggered by COVID-19 and the outcome was the cancellation of the two America's Cup World Series regattas scheduled for April and June 2020.

While the Prada Cup Final cannot be cancelled, the Arbitration Panel must make a ruling (as must and Int Jury) on redress issues which are equitable to all affected competitors.

Thanks for posting this @Priscilla^_^

4 hours ago, EastCoastHustle said:

Seems like the issue isn't as straight forward as it looks. I think LR should agree to the delay if what Murray said yesterday is true and they actually do not have enough on water resources right now for whatever reason. Otherwise, if they are allowed and have the staff to race, they should race.

Did the Big Fella not know there was a finals going on this week?  Or am I missing something and the on the water resources are effected by the level 3 lockdown?

If they delay some other beloved right to return home at a time of trouble is a human right quarantine person will either spread it to somebody else as they are released, fraternize with a guard or hotel employee and give it to them...rinse, repeat. 

Get the whole mess done on schedule safely per contingency plan or medical advice and get outta there before NZ realizes they are living in a very fragile paradise. They could all put on masks...for their mosh pits. Jamming people in the Race Village in a city where quarantine hotel workers roam around untested and are underprotected on the job is cray cray. 

35 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

From Sail-World.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that it's hard to claim fore majeure when there's an agreed upon plan for the circumstances in question. I think to make it a force majeur situation, you'd need to demonstrate that the previously negotiated Covid contingencies cannot be implemented.

If you couldn't race "behind closed doors" due to it being unsafe for the race committee, for example.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Did the Big Fella not know there was a finals going on this week?  Or am I missing something and the on the water resources are effected by the level 3 lockdown?

Put KN95s on them all. If hospital workers can wear them herecand not get it a couple dudes on a boat are likely to be fine.

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

Put KN95s on them all. If hospital workers can wear them herecand not get it a couple dudes on a boat are likely to be fine.

Hospital workers get it all the time, despite wearing KN95s, actually.

More to the point, race committee members are not delivering life saving medical care so it's not quite the same thing.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Not resources but insufficient on water event support what ever that means.

D06BA99D-F68D-4EDE-BF0D-DEE65C3A4CFA.jpeg.667e27cb977b28695a83210d972ccb83.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

From Sail-World.

Thanks! So the Arb. Panel would be the last resort, although I do not understand why. If Level 2 allows racing (with or without spectators doesn't matter for the sporting side of the regatta), there's already an agreement in place. 

Well, let's wait and see how things turn out.

This all could have been avoided if the rule makers had included a "what if" clause with what they really want.

1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Not resources but insufficient on water event support what ever that means.

It’s a pity he didn’t elaborate a bit more on this. 

7 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Not resources but insufficient on water event support what ever that means.

D06BA99D-F68D-4EDE-BF0D-DEE65C3A4CFA.jpeg.667e27cb977b28695a83210d972ccb83.jpeg

I hope nobody (RNZYS discouraging volunteers for example) is intentionally withdrawing event support, for commercial or whatever-else reasons. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

This all could have been avoided if the rule makers had included a "what if" clause with what they really want.

This all could have been avoided if the Chinese democratic dictatorship had offered the residents of Wuhan a state subsidy for refrigerators in which they could safely keep their bat soufflé.

Spilt milk now.

Be interesting to see what comes out of the Handbags @ 11am.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I hope nobody (RNZYS discouraging volunteers for example) is intentionally withdrawing event support, for commercial or whatever-else reasons. 

Wonder if it was wise for IM to put that down on paper: might come back to bite him if it came to admission of “guilt”, in case of shit hitting the fan

1 hour ago, yoyo said:

Maybe a better question is should this travelling circus have been postponed until after a worldwide pandemic was considered under control?

Tell that to RG. On second thoughts don’t, he tended to go ballistic at the idea

This could have been mitigated if everyone needed for racing and support  had been told job conditions were get tested, isolate in bubble for duration of events, get retested, wear masks just in case. Instead of whatever cray cray live at home and wander about because everything is safe setup they have? Would have cost more but....oh....needed to do it on the cheap instead of an imperfect but doable NBA type bubble that might even have been perfect in NZ. Cash strapped. 

Need a richer Defender next time. 

3 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Wonder if it was wise for IM to put that down on paper: might come back to bite him if it came to admission of “guilt”, in case of shit hitting the fan

Ha, yeah could be that he’ll be forced to divulge the ‘lack of support’ reasons he was given, if it ever reached the Arb Panel.

Did IM post this before or after the Level went from 3 to 2? 

17 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

This could have been mitigated if everyone needed for racing and support  had been told job conditions were get tested, isolate in bubble for duration of events, get retested, wear masks just in case. Instead of whatever cray cray live at home and wander about because everything is safe setup they have? Would have cost more but....oh....needed to do it on the cheap instead of an imperfect but doable NBA type bubble that might even have been perfect in NZ. Cash strapped. 

Need a richer Defender next time. 

You can't imprison people who have daytime jobs if there haven't been community cases for a certain time.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, idontwan2know said:

Unless you're willing to pay them full time wages, which I'm quite certain isn't happening.

Plus you must give them the guarantee that they can return to their normal job afterwards. Will certainly happen... not.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

You can't imprison people who have daytime jobs if there haven't been community cases for a certain time.

You can do a lot of things with an employment contract if people are adequately compensated. The prison becomes their job. They agree to the bubble. 

34 minutes ago, idontwan2know said:

Unless you're willing to pay them full time wages, which I'm quite certain isn't happening.

Well there's a problem 

25 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Plus you must give them the guarantee that they can return to their normal job afterwards. Will certainly happen... not.

Vacation? Leave of absence? I thought it was slow in some sectors, like marine, due to covid? 

If the AC job pays enough, it would work most places. Remember, as few outsiders as possible were supposed to come in so as to reduce quarantine burden and not take Kiwi jobs away. But you are telling me these were poorly paid or unpaid part time second jobs not full time well compensated ones with room and board included? And despite the covid econ hardships people harp about, there are not Kiwis who would want a 3 month highly paid  job in "prison"? Does it mess up unemployment compensation or something? 

Ok. Wrong country. Guess the same work ethic results in the quarantine system oopsies.

• Like 1

Delay. Just because other sports do it does not make it the right or better thing to do. The Australian Open is taking place to the disgust of a lot of Aussies. There has been huge, robust and emotional discussion regarding the event continuing while people can’t attend funerals.

The NZ Government has already given the teams exemptions from the Covid regulations just to be here. While we were in lockdown, these teams flew in from hotspots all over the world. The least they could do is respect the Government and host city responsibilities. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

You can do a lot of things with an employment contract if people are adequately compensated. The prison becomes their job. They agree to the bubble. 

Well there's a problem 

Vacation? Leave of absence? I thought it was slow in some sectors, like marine, due to covid? 

If the AC job pays enough, it would work most places. Remember, as few outsiders as possible were supposed to come in so as to reduce quarantine burden and not take Kiwi jobs away. But you are telling me these were poorly paid or unpaid part time second jobs not full time well compensated ones with room and board included? And despite the covid econ hardships people harp about, there are not Kiwis who would want a 3 month highly paid  job in "prison"? Does it mess up unemployment compensation or something? 

Ok. Wrong country. Guess the same work ethic results in the quarantine system oopsies.

Not sure about the AC in NZL, but the previous ACs, die VOR stopovers, F1 races and sooo many other high level sporting events rely on volunteers to do many jobs. Without them, there wouldn't be these events. These jobs don't pay at all, they contain an reimbursement of the expenses. You would lose a lot of them if you force them to live in a bubble for months, as they would lose the life they are living when the event is not in town.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 45Roller said:

Should the Prada Cup be delayed until restrictions are eased or should it be awarded to Luna Rossa on the scheduled end date. 

I think it should be delayed. When the dates were agreed for the Prada Cup and America's Cup match we lived in a different world. 

you must work for ACE as you are forgetting the 3rd option which was agreed and signed off

stick to the agreed plan, sail it on the water without delay

my pick on today's conference is "COR request ACE to complete the racing as agreed on the agreed dates under the covid guidelines signed off by all parties ... failure on ACE's behalf to run the races on the scheduled dates will lead to the winner being the team with the most points at the close of play on the agreed date being the 24th"

i.e. LR is telling ACE to do their job, if ACE fails to do their job then BA will not get the opportunity to claw back race wins ... Ben should be screaming at ACE to start the races as he ain't going to win this one in court and every scheduled race day is one the BA will not get back

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

Ben should be screaming at ACE to start the races

Agreed. Too much uncertainty if we go into some prolonged series-delays BS. 

Man up, see ya on the water on Friday! 

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Agreed. To much uncertainty if we go into some prolonged series-delays BS. 

Man up, see ya on the water on Friday! 

ill be on a small game launch heading out to barrier with its outriggers up towing marlin lures ... will give you all a wave as we go past :D

There won't be any uncertainty ... LR will announce themselves as winner on the 24th if they are leading the score due to ACE not being competent to follow clear instructions

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

you must work for ACE as you are forgetting the 3rd option which was agreed and signed off

my pick on today's conference is "COR request ACE to complete the racing as agreed on the agreed dates under the covid guidelines signed off by all parties ... failure on ACE's behalf to run the races on the scheduled dates will lead to the winner being the team with the most points at the close of play on the agreed date being the 24th"

i.e. LR is telling ACE to do their job, if ACE fails to do their job then BA will not get the opportunity to claw back race wins ... Ben should be screaming at ACE to start the races as he ain't going to win this one in court and every scheduled race day is one the BA will not get back

Agreed, my poll options are shit, definitely more options being discussed here B)

19 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

/\/\/\     THIS  !!!!   Post of the day .....

3 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

NAILED IT!!!!!!

ACE backed down

COR will not accept any races past the 24th ... ACE needs to pull their finger out

Yeah agreed, racing while sticking to the agreed covid protocols 

From the existing procedure level 1 and 2 there will be racing, all teams have known this for quite some time ... IMurray should get a slapping for not having the 19th organised as a race day

Why does IM not have a process in place to have personal organised ????

image.thumb.png.d4a938f4936ad5cb24cfee98cf6c420f.png

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

From the existing procedure level 1 and 2 there will be racing, all teams have known this for quite some time ... IMurray should get a slapping for not having the 19th organised as a race day

IM is looking very uncomfortable and not on top of his game. 

2 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

Never seen nor heard a race organzier more inept , confused, and out of his water .....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, amc said:

It’s a pity he didn’t elaborate a bit more on this. 

I guess it relates to people who have to shield or their bubble etc...it might restrict people from operating together.

I don't understand why ACE is being so picky?  The 6 Nations Rugby Championships are on at present in the UK and Europe - being played in empty stadiums. Likewise the  British Premier League and Australian Open  - all played with no spectators. 

I don't understand what the fuss is about in Racing under level 2. There's many more people watching in TV than are floating in the Gulf in the spectator fleet, so run the damn races!

It may be a bit late now to run races on Friday, but they could do 2 races  a day from 20th the 23rd and 1 on the 24th, if needed. All those days are shown on the official Schedule as race days or reserve days, so COR doesn't have to agree to any changes as there are none.

Simples

• Downvote 1
3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Not sure about the AC in NZL, but the previous ACs, die VOR stopovers, F1 races and sooo many other high level sporting events rely on volunteers to do many jobs. Without them, there wouldn't be these events. These jobs don't pay at all, they contain an reimbursement of the expenses. You would lose a lot of them if you force them to live in a bubble for months, as they would lose the life they are living when the event is not in town.

But we are in a pandemic. A properly compensated worker bubble makes sense. NBA did it.. People who didn't want to be in a bubble would not take the jobs. Surely there are semi-idle, solitary marine industry workers in NZ who might like it?  Shit, people in the US on this forum who have been isolating by choice might have jumped at the chance to do it....but oh yes...need not to take jobs that Kiwis could do....but as you say, won't take.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lickindip said:

Until Wednesday afternoon there was no real suggestion that Covid 19 level would drop from 3 to 2. Particularly given more cases reported that day, and no link to a source. Most were expecting L3 to continue.

I don't know how many on the water folk required are volunteering vs paid staff? But many volunteers are skittish around anything this weekend (I'm involved with two events that we're trying to resurrect that need volunteers) while levels may rise again if more cases surface. And for whatever other reasons they have.

Coast guard volunteers involved, etc? 

May be that atvkess than 24hrs notice he struggled to get willing/available bodies?

If they're all paid bodies, then should have been easier to make sure on the water support available.

Just saying he might not be as slack as some pointing out...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wallis said:

I don't understand why ACE is being so picky?  The 6 Nations Rugby Championships are on at present in the UK and Europe - being played in empty stadiums. Likewise the  British Premier League and Australian Open  - all played with no spectators. 

I don't understand what the fuss is about in Racing under level 2. There's many more people watching in TV than are floating in the Gulf in the spectator fleet, so run the damn races!

It may be a bit late now to run races on Friday, but they could do 2 races  a day from 20th the 23rd and 1 on the 24th, if needed. All those days are shown on the official Schedule as race days or reserve days, so COR doesn't have to agree to any changes as there are none.

Simples

The 6 nations... last year there were contracts, rules all set in stone... then mid way through a big delay. Not carry on behind closed doors but a full stop and picked up in x months time. 

no one sat there and said, fuck you this is the date and based on games played and table position we are the winners. 

so while this years 6 nations suits your”sport just carries on” mantra. It’s a crap example.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lickindip said:

I know the weather guys on the teams are good but making a choice on the 10th and locking in configuration that’s got to last until the 24th wtf? 

how was that ever a thing? 

31 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

I know the weather guys on the teams are good but making a choice on the 10th and locking in configuration that’s got to last until the 24th wtf? 

how was that ever a thing? 

Agreed. Fucking stupid rule.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Agreed. Fucking stupid rule.

One they all agreed too but hey give Tina the Cunt to change the rules...........

3 minutes ago, Norberto said:

So, it seems that we will have 4 race-days now .... SAT, SUN, MON & TUE  ..... each with a max of 2 races, right?

That brings us to 12 races total by TUE ....

What happens if the score is   6:6   on TUE the 24th?

I'm not sure, maybe the winner is the team who won the last race.

• Like 1

JFC. Prada Cup agreed protocol is first to 7 wins, or the most wins by 24 Feb. End of story. I'm quite sure that LR have a schedule of planned development and testing in the 10 days between the end of the Prada Cup and the Match. Quite rightly they will not want to compromise this.  

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, tractorbeam said:

JFC. Prada Cup agreed protocol is first to 7 wins, or the most wins by 24 Feb. End of story. I'm quite sure that LR have a schedule of planned development and testing in the 10 days between the end of the Prada Cup and the Match. Quite rightly they will not want to compromise this.  

yeah true, and I can't see ETNZ agreeing to moving the start date of the match out either

• Downvote 1
58 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

yeah true, and I can't see ETNZ agreeing to moving the start date of the match out either

Exactly. If they run out of time, they run out of time. 

• Like 1