Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Allen West, imported Token because uh, I dunno the GOP isn't bad enough with the locals? The Texas senate is busy making sure that all sporting events are required to perform the national anthem because, I dunno, flag waving gets votes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be clear. In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States. Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden f

A Houston furniture store opened its doors as a refuge. Thousands came for help. Feb. 18, 2021, 10:33 a.m. ETFeb. 18, 2021 Feb. 18, 2021 By Christine Hauser  

At least AOC is doing something for people in need. Good for her! You are a person that is throwing rocks at someone that is helping. Really? Have you thought that through? Here in NY we have had a ho

Posted Images

3 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

Texas GOP chairman Allen West falsely says Texas could secede from the US: 'We could go back to being our own Republic'

Texas Republican Party chairman Allen West falsely suggested that Texas could secede from the United States and become an independent country, a CNN KFile review of his comments in recent months shows.

In radio interviews after the 2020 presidential election, West suggested Texas could vote to again become a republic, as it was before joining the United States in 1845.

"This is something that was written into the Texas Constitution," the former congressman said in one late December radio broadcast. "Or it was promised to Texas when we became part of the United States of America-- that if we voted and decided, we could go back to being our own republic."

Experts, however, say that Texas cannot legally secede and leave the United States to become its own republic. The annexation resolution West is referring to stipulates that Texas could, in the future, choose to divide itself into five new states, not divide itself from the US and declare independence. West mistook the congressional annexation resolution that made Texas a state for the Texas constitution.

Texas does have a history of secession. In 1861, Texas voted in favor of secession and later left the Union to join the Confederate States of America, setting the stage for the American Civil War. After the Confederacy lost the war, the Supreme Court ruled that Texas had remained a state, despite joining the Confederate States of America in an act of rebellion for four years, and that any acts ratified by the Confederate-era state legislature were "absolutely null." Texas eventually rejoined the Union in 1870.

This sounds like a Great idea if Texas takes Cruz and Gommert with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, saxdog said:

This sounds like a Great idea if Texas takes Cruz and Gommert with them.

How about as a condition of their leaving we get to name a group of pols that they get to take with them.  I can easily fill a shopping cart with a bunch of RWNJs from my state.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

How about as a condition of their leaving we get to name a group of pols that they get to take with them.  I can easily fill a shopping cart with a bunch of RWNJs from my state.

If allowed, you wouldn't be able to access the 20 pols or less checkout lane!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cal20sailor said:

If allowed, you wouldn't be able to access the 20 pols or less checkout lane!

That’s fine. I can read the magazines while I’m waiting in line

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A better idea, motivate voters to clean out the GOP nutjobs and restore sanity to the state. That the GOP decided to import Allen West shows how far down the rabbit hole they are willing to go - the perfect guy - black, veteran and hates liberals, the token carpetbagger.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas Wind Energy Set a Record—But Republicans Are Still Trying to Squash It

Despite recent baseless attacks on wind power as unreliable and unneeded from Texas politicians, wind was the number one source of electricity on the state’s grid last month. Awkward!

Wind energy generated 39% of power on the Texas grid in March, federal data shows, beating out other sources like coal (15%), natural gas (30%), and nuclear (12%). In terms of numbers, wind generated 10.4 million megawatt-hours of power in March—a huge 2 million MWh step up from its previous record, set just last December.

Analysts at S&P also noted that last month marked the first time that wind power in Texas—which has far and away the most installed wind capacity of any state in the U.S.—surpassed natural gas in electricity generation. Texas alone made up 15% of the entire country’s use of gas for electricity generation in 2019, which makes this a pretty big deal. (S&P analysts said that natural gas demand would probably shoot back up in the summer when people turn on their air conditioners and use more power.)

This wind record is the latest act in a rhetorical battle over the merits of wind and solar versus fossil fuels that has been playing out in the Texas statehouse and on national television. Preliminary analysis shows that during February’s storms and blackouts, despite some turbines being out of commission, wind energy actually overperformed normal expectations. (Natural gas, meanwhile, struggled the most of all sources of power during the blackouts.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 4:33 AM, hobie1616 said:

Texas GOP chairman Allen West falsely says Texas could secede from the US: 'We could go back to being our own Republic'

Texas Republican Party chairman Allen West falsely suggested that Texas could secede from the United States and become an independent country, a CNN KFile review of his comments in recent months shows.

In radio interviews after the 2020 presidential election, West suggested Texas could vote to again become a republic, as it was before joining the United States in 1845.

"This is something that was written into the Texas Constitution," the former congressman said in one late December radio broadcast. "Or it was promised to Texas when we became part of the United States of America-- that if we voted and decided, we could go back to being our own republic."

Experts, however, say that Texas cannot legally secede and leave the United States to become its own republic. The annexation resolution West is referring to stipulates that Texas could, in the future, choose to divide itself into five new states, not divide itself from the US and declare independence. West mistook the congressional annexation resolution that made Texas a state for the Texas constitution.

Texas does have a history of secession. In 1861, Texas voted in favor of secession and later left the Union to join the Confederate States of America, setting the stage for the American Civil War. After the Confederacy lost the war, the Supreme Court ruled that Texas had remained a state, despite joining the Confederate States of America in an act of rebellion for four years, and that any acts ratified by the Confederate-era state legislature were "absolutely null." Texas eventually rejoined the Union in 1870.

Didn't you fight a war over that?

Texas lost IIRC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Republicans into Texas runoff after robocall claims leader killed husband with Covid

The day before the election, Politico reported that Susan Wright sought help from local and federal law enforcement after voters received a robocall which said she “murdered her husband” and was “running for Congress to cover it up”.

The robocall claimed Wright “obtained a $1m life insurance policy on the life of her husband … six months before his death” and “tearfully confided in a nurse that she had purposely contracted the coronavirus”.

The call, in a female voice, did not say who paid for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Texans appear to be trying to outdo Florida Man.

Texas Dealership Caught Running A Secret Blackmarket For Guns And Ammo

Guns and Texas go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Or criminals and jail. Because that’s exactly where two general managers of one Texas dealership have ended up. The Miami Herald reports that the Feds busted them selling weapons and ammo out of their dealership. 

From the Herald: 

The car salesman opened the rear hatch of a black Ford Explorer at the Texas dealership, revealing three rifles and what appeared to be over 2,000 rounds of ammunition.

Joshua Ellard had led the undercover officer to a more secluded area of the lot because, as he explained, he’d gotten into trouble before for doing gun deals at Covert Auto Group dealership in Hutto, according to court documents.

Federal authorities set up multiple undercover purchases to confirm their suspicions. Ellard and Tondre allegedly sold weapons out of the back of a Ford Explorer registered to the dealership. How bold do you have to be to pull something like that? It gets even better, as the feds observed the same vehicle parked outside the house of Tondre. He used it as a personal vehicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Texans are like Florides, but with bigger belt buckles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Texans are like Florides, but with bigger belt buckles.

Isn't Floride a liberal plot to poison the water?

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, saxdog said:
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Texans are like Florides, but with bigger belt buckles.

Isn't Floride a liberal plot to poison the water?

saxdog types teh truthe............                  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said before..... It's gotta be something in the water here, and it ain't Manatees, or Alligators....

 The stupid starts young, and gets stronger the bigger they get.

 Education, and healthcare are dirty words around here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Witness: Man angered by Texas deputies in yard killed them

Source: Associated Press

EDEN, Texas (AP) — A West Texas man accused of fatally shooting two sheriff's deputies was angry they were in his yard trying to catch a dog and he told them he would open fire if they didn't leave, a witness said. 

* * * 
The deputies had already caught one of the dogs and the other one ran into Nicholas’ yard. Hutchings said Nicholas did not own either animal. 

Nicholas told the deputies they couldn't enter his yard to get the dog, then that they should “get off his property” and that he “has his civil rights,” Hutchings said. 

He said Nicholas told the deputies that he would shoot them, and then opened fire.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/witness-man-angered-by-texas-deputies-in-yard-killed-them/ar-BB1gFv8r?li=BBorjTa  

 

 
 
 
 

EDEN, Texas (AP) — A West Texas man accused of fatally shooting two sheriff's deputies was angry they were in his yard trying to catch a dog and he told them he would open fire if they didn't leave, a witness said.

 

%7BThis Tuesday, May 11, 2021, booking photo provided by the Tom Green County Sheriff's Office, in San Angelo, Texas, shows Jeffrey Nicholas. Nicholas is charged with shooting two West Texas sheriff's deputies dead and critically wounding a city employee answering a dog complaint, authorities said. (Tom Green County Sheriff's Office via AP)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

Witness: Man angered by Texas deputies in yard killed them

Source: Associated Press

EDEN, Texas (AP) — A West Texas man accused of fatally shooting two sheriff's deputies was angry they were in his yard trying to catch a dog and he told them he would open fire if they didn't leave, a witness said. 

* * * 
The deputies had already caught one of the dogs and the other one ran into Nicholas’ yard. Hutchings said Nicholas did not own either animal. 

Nicholas told the deputies they couldn't enter his yard to get the dog, then that they should “get off his property” and that he “has his civil rights,” Hutchings said. 

He said Nicholas told the deputies that he would shoot them, and then opened fire.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/witness-man-angered-by-texas-deputies-in-yard-killed-them/ar-BB1gFv8r?li=BBorjTa  
 

Hope he has an affordable lawn service to keep things neat and tidy for the next few decades.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Hope he has an affordable lawn service to keep things neat and tidy for the next few decades.  

He warned them.  Then fired.  Sounds like premeditation, to me.  They were law enforcement.

He'll be lucky to not be sentenced to die.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Hope he has an affordable lawn service to keep things neat and tidy for the next few decades.  

In Texas you can defend life and property with deadly force. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

In Texas you can defend life and property with deadly force. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Yeah, I was thinking this might be a SYG case. As wrong as that sounds. Wonder if the cops that backed SYG thought it might be used to kill them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Yeah, I was thinking this might be a SYG case. As wrong as that sounds. Wonder if the cops that backed SYG thought it might be used to kill them?

It will take a Tom Ray jury to get an acquittal in this case. Chasing dogs in someone's yard hardly seems to qualify, but it is Texas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

JEFFREY NICHOLAS 

JEFFREY  NICHOLAS
Booking #:
 
433573
Age:
 
28
Gender:
 
M
Race:
 
W
Arresting Agency: 
 
Texas Ranger
Booking Date: 
 
05-11-2021 - 5:38 am
Charges:
 
 
09990020 CAPITAL MURDER OF A PEACE OFFICER OR FIREMAN
Bond:
 
$4000000.00
Note: The charges and bail amounts may change after court appearances and may not be current. Bond companies and persons wishing to post bail should contact the Detention Center staff at 325-659-6597 for correct bail amount, charges and case numbers.
Link to post
Share on other sites

More: “They walked up towards him, rushed him, and he pulled a gun, and shots were fired,” David Hutchings told the San Angelo Standard-Times.

The shooting happened Monday evening in Eden, a city of about 1,300 people roughly 210 miles (340 kilometers) southwest of Dallas. Officials say Concho County deputies Stephen Jones and Samuel Leonard were killed and city employee Ronnie Winans was injured.

DPS said Wednesday that Nicholas opened fire on Jones and Leonard after they “made contact” with him while responding to a dog complaint. 

Officials have said little else about what happened before the shooting, which is being investigated by the Texas Rangers. Jeffrey Nicholas, 28, is jailed in nearby Tom Green County Detention Center on two charges of capital murder of a peace officer.

Hutchings, a city employee who helps with animal control, told the newspaper that the officers were helping city employees collect two dogs that had bitten someone earlier in the day. 

The deputies had already caught one of the dogs and the other one ran into Nicholas’ yard. Hutchings said Nicholas did not own either animal. 

Nicholas told the deputies they couldn't enter his yard to get the dog, then that they should “get off his property” and that he “has his civil rights,” Hutchings said.

He said Nicholas told the deputies that he would shoot them, and then opened fire.

Hutchins said Winans, who is his boss, was shot in the stomach when a bullet went through door of a city pickup. DPS said Wednesday that Winans was in stable condition.

The funeral for Leonard is set for Monday, Jones' funeral is set for Wednesday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/witness-man-angered-by-texas-deputies-in-yard-killed-them/ar-BB1gFv8r?li=BBorjTa

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Yeah, I was thinking this might be a SYG case. As wrong as that sounds. Wonder if the cops that backed SYG thought it might be used to kill them?

The Law Of Unintended Consequences strikes again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Allen West resigns as chairman of the Texas Republican Party and may run for governor.

Allen West, a transplanted one-term Florida congressman and right-wing provocateur, announced his resignation on Friday as chairman of the Texas Republican Party, possibly as a precursor to running for statewide office.

Mr. West, a former Army officer who was forced to retire after firing a handgun near the head of a prisoner in Iraq, said at a news conference in Whitehouse, Texas, that he was considering running for office. 

“Maybe something congressional,” he suggested.

His spats with the state’s governor, Greg Abbott, over the handling of the coronavirus pandemic and with Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick over gun legislation have led to speculation that he will mount a Trumpian challenge to one of them in the Republican primaries next March.

Texas, a bedrock red state rapidly becoming a battleground, is the site of an intraparty fight between the conservative establishment and media-savvy firebrands like Mr. West, who think Mr. Abbott and Mr. Patrick are not going far enough to the right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 1:33 PM, badlatitude said:

More: “They walked up towards him, rushed him, and he pulled a gun, and shots were fired,” David Hutchings told the San Angelo Standard-Times.

The shooting happened Monday evening in Eden, a city of about 1,300 people roughly 210 miles (340 kilometers) southwest of Dallas. Officials say Concho County deputies Stephen Jones and Samuel Leonard were killed and city employee Ronnie Winans was injured.

DPS said Wednesday that Nicholas opened fire on Jones and Leonard after they “made contact” with him while responding to a dog complaint. 

Officials have said little else about what happened before the shooting, which is being investigated by the Texas Rangers. Jeffrey Nicholas, 28, is jailed in nearby Tom Green County Detention Center on two charges of capital murder of a peace officer.

Hutchings, a city employee who helps with animal control, told the newspaper that the officers were helping city employees collect two dogs that had bitten someone earlier in the day. 

The deputies had already caught one of the dogs and the other one ran into Nicholas’ yard. Hutchings said Nicholas did not own either animal. 

Nicholas told the deputies they couldn't enter his yard to get the dog, then that they should “get off his property” and that he “has his civil rights,” Hutchings said.

He said Nicholas told the deputies that he would shoot them, and then opened fire.

Hutchins said Winans, who is his boss, was shot in the stomach when a bullet went through door of a city pickup. DPS said Wednesday that Winans was in stable condition.

The funeral for Leonard is set for Monday, Jones' funeral is set for Wednesday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/witness-man-angered-by-texas-deputies-in-yard-killed-them/ar-BB1gFv8r?li=BBorjTa

This is one of those cases where you really have to support the Texas death penalty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This is one of those cases where you really have to support the Texas death penalty.

I have a feeling that there will be universal dissatisfaction at the way this ends up. There is nothing new about this case, and he is still held with a $4 million bond. He will probably stay in jail for quite awhile, at some point a defense attorney will get him out. He already made a mistake by confessing, and I have no idea about Texas law, but he did order those deputies off his property, and they tried to use a stun gun on him and rushed him trying to do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

Allen West resigns as chairman of the Texas Republican Party and may run for governor.

Allen West, a transplanted one-term Florida congressman and right-wing provocateur, announced his resignation on Friday as chairman of the Texas Republican Party, possibly as a precursor to running for statewide office.

Mr. West, a former Army officer who was forced to retire after firing a handgun near the head of a prisoner in Iraq, said at a news conference in Whitehouse, Texas, that he was considering running for office. 

“Maybe something congressional,” he suggested.

His spats with the state’s governor, Greg Abbott, over the handling of the coronavirus pandemic and with Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick over gun legislation have led to speculation that he will mount a Trumpian challenge to one of them in the Republican primaries next March.

Texas, a bedrock red state rapidly becoming a battleground, is the site of an intraparty fight between the conservative establishment and media-savvy firebrands like Mr. West, who think Mr. Abbott and Mr. Patrick are not going far enough to the right.

He’s no Floridian; he was a carpet bagger here. His brand of crazy was just a couple of years too early (and a shade too dark) for the Florida GOP. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news it soon will be or already is legal for any adult to carry a weapon in Texas. License? We don't need no stinking license. 

As to the death penalty in the above case, that's the one that will be the deterrent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who gives a shit about deterrence?

When you put a rabid dog down is deterrence a part of the equation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

In other news it soon will be or already is legal for any adult to carry a weapon in Texas. License? We don't need no stinking license. 

As to the death penalty in the above case, that's the one that will be the deterrent.

Jeff will be along shortly to explain that the 2A is there to defend against tyranny, both national and barroom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Who gives a shit about deterrence?

When you put a rabid dog down is deterrence a part of the equation?

Well, part of the problem is who gets to decide who is the rabid dog.  And I bring up deterrence since that is the usual argument for it's use.  Kind of comes down to kill em all and let God sort em out or just lock them up for life.

signed a former DP adherent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a beautiful manifestation of Karma

State bar investigating Texas attorney general

DALLAS (AP) — The Texas bar association is investigating whether state Attorney General Ken Paxton’s failed efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election based on bogus claims of fraud amounted to professional misconduct. 

The State Bar of Texas initially declined to take up a Democratic Party activist’s complaint that Paxton’s petitioning of the U.S. Supreme Court to block Joe Biden’s victory was frivolous and unethical. But a tribunal that oversees grievances against lawyers overturned that decision late last month and ordered the bar to look into the accusations against the Republican official. 

The investigation is yet another liability for the embattled attorney general, who is facing a years-old criminal case, a separate, newer FBI investigation, and a Republican primary opponent who is seeking to make electoral hay of the various controversies. It also makes Paxton one of the highest profile lawyers to face professional blowback over their roles in Donald Trump’s effort to delegitimize his defeat. 

A spokesman for the attorney general’s office did not respond to requests for comment. Paxton’s defense lawyer, Philip Hilder, declined to comment. 
 

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-joe-biden-us-supreme-court-texas-election-2020-071cd81a1447f17bfd115edffc4ff456

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oopsie the Bar can get mighty pissed when one of their own might be bullshitting....

 

Reports: Texas bar association investigating state AG Ken Paxton

Axios

 

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is under investigation for possible professional misconduct by the state's bar association for his attempts to have President Biden's election win overturned, AP first reported Wednesday.

Why it matters: Paxton is one of the most high-profile lawyers to face potential professional repercussions for using their role to try and help former President Trump in his efforts to have the election results changed, AP notes.

Paxton was already facing a separate investigation by the FBI and securities fraud charges — matters which his Republican Primary challenger George P. Bush has been highlighting as part of his attempts to unseat him in 2022. Paxton has denied any wrongdoing in the cases.

Pending the outcome of the bar's review, Paxton "could be cleared or face penalties, including suspension or disbarment," the Washington Post notes.

Driving the news: The State Bar of Texas is examining whether Paxton made "false or misleading statements to a court or filed a frivolous lawsuit" when he contested Biden's wins in the battleground states of Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania with baseless claims that Trump "lost because of fraud," per WashPost.

The regulatory body had initially dismissed the original complaint from Galveston Island Democrats president Kevin Moran, but an appeals board last month asked the bar to launch an investigation, according to multiple reports.

What they're saying: Moran told AP that Paxton should lose his license to practice law because of the attempt.

"He wanted to disenfranchise the voters in four other states," Moran said. "It's just crazy."

What's next: Paxton was given less than a month to reply to Moran's complaint, according to AP, citing a June 3 letter from the bar.

Paxton and the bar did not immediately respond to Axios' request for comment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out the Texas grid isn’t built for heat either.

Here’s some helpful advice from an Ercot spokesbabe.

”Unplug”

Also “would you rather have AC or AOC

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Turns out the Texas grid isn’t built for heat either.

Here’s some helpful advice from an Ercot spokesbabe.

”Unplug”

Also “would you rather have AC or AOC

 

 

A dopey redhead with a Texas accent. Run far away. Although, could be a fun romp for a.... NO, RUN AWAY!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

A dopey redhead with a Texas accent. Run far away. Although, could be a fun romp for a.... NO, RUN AWAY!

She is pretty good in a lot of roles. She's a video troll.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

She is pretty good in a lot of roles. She's a video troll.

Ahh, then I’m a fan!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Turns out the Texas grid isn’t built for heat either.

Here’s some helpful advice from an Ercot spokesbabe.

”Unplug”

Also “would you rather have AC or AOC

 

 

Jeezuss - could you imagine having to listen to that every day?

Just shoot me now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Turns out the Texas grid isn’t built for heat either.

Here’s some helpful advice from an Ercot spokesbabe.

”Unplug”

Also “would you rather have AC or AOC

 

 

I is More Dumber for listening to that.  My god the IQ...  I just can't...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I is More Dumber for listening to that.  My god the IQ...  I just can't...  

Max chillage. She's a comedian, like Sarah Cooper, and a pretty good one too. Hell, she's not even from Texas.

image.thumb.png.d3f125bcd46b3444d04b70e183249f1e.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Jeezuss - could you imagine having to listen to that every day?

Just shoot me now.

Comedian Blaire Erskine.

What does it say about the state of things when most on both sides were taken in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Raz'r said:
15 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Turns out the Texas grid isn’t built for heat either.

Here’s some helpful advice from an Ercot spokesbabe.

”Unplug”

Also “would you rather have AC or AOC

 

 

Expand  Expand  

A dopey redhead with a Texas accent. Run far away. Although, could be a fun romp for a.... NO, RUN AWAY!

I realley thick thisse needes to streste to teh enth degree foire annyoune to lissen..........                   :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty obvious satire, and while there are several different accents in Texas, hers was none of these. I thought the AC or AOC was comedy gold. 

Meanwhile 8 states are seeing rising infection/hospitalization rates go up and Texas is part of that.  Strangely the states lagging in vaccinations are leading in new infections.  

Have a work seminar to attend next week - proof of vax or recent negative covid test required, masks mandated while indoors. Anyone objecting is welcome to find something else to do.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

Pretty obvious satire, and while there are several different accents in Texas, hers was none of these. I thought the AC or AOC was comedy gold. 

Meanwhile 8 states are seeing rising infection/hospitalization rates go up and Texas is part of that.  Strangely the states lagging in vaccinations are leading in new infections.  

Have a work seminar to attend next week - proof of vax or recent negative covid test required, masks mandated while indoors. Anyone objecting is welcome to find something else to do.

Silly seminar rules.  Mandate a vax and ditch the mask is my reasonable suggestion.  I wouldn’t attend the seminar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Silly seminar rules.  Mandate a vax and ditch the mask is my reasonable suggestion.  I wouldn’t attend the seminar.

Let's review - you posted satire without realizing it, got covid because uh, I dunno, vespaitis? Not to worry, you weren't invited and I doubt you would pass the security qualifications.  Thanks for playing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Let's review - you posted satire without realizing it, got covid because uh, I dunno, vespaitis? Not to worry, you weren't invited and I doubt you would pass the security qualifications.  Thanks for playing.

I knew it was satire. All you had to do was read her tweets.  You know who could probably attend your shitty little seminar due to his “security creds”?  Jared Kushner and Ivan’ka.  I’ll pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I knew it was satire. All you had to do was read her tweets.  You know who could probably attend your shitty little seminar due to his “security creds”?  Jared Kushner and Ivan’ka.  I’ll pass.

There is help for LDS, you should check into it. 

*Little Dick Syndrome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

There is help for LDS, you should check into it. 

*Little Dick Syndrome.

I thought LDS stood for "Loser Donald Syndrome"..... Thanks for clarimifying that....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Pretty obvious satire, and while there are several different accents in Texas, hers was none of these. I thought the AC or AOC was comedy gold. 

Meanwhile 8 states are seeing rising infection/hospitalization rates go up and Texas is part of that.  Strangely the states lagging in vaccinations are leading in new infections.  

Have a work seminar to attend next week - proof of vax or recent negative covid test required, masks mandated while indoors. Anyone objecting is welcome to find something else to do.

Delta variant. Vaccinated are safe, but non-vaccinated are at more risk than even a year ago - or so says the article in the Atlantic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VhmSays said:

Comedian Blaire Erskine.

What does it say about the state of things when most on both sides were taken in.

Not the first time - remember the "Trump boater" that lost his boat in a parade?

The right wingers have become so stupid that nothing is too stupid for them, hence anything about them is believable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Silly seminar rules.  Mandate a vax and ditch the mask is my reasonable suggestion.  I wouldn’t attend the seminar.

And I suspect you wouldn't be missed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:
4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

There is help for LDS, you should check into it. 

*Little Dick Syndrome.

I thought LDS stood for "Loser Donald Syndrome"..... Thanks for clarimifying that....

And there I was thinking it was Large Dose Stupidity…..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anti-vax group mounts legal blitz to sow disinformation against vaccinations

Just as the Covid-19 vaccine rollout began in earnest in the United States, the Informed Consent Action Network (Ican) sent its subscribers a “legal update” on its war against employers and schools planning to require the shots.

An unspecified number of organizations had supposedly dropped their mandates – one just after Ican took them to court – and the Texas-based anti-vaccination nonprofit was prowling for more plaintiffs.

“If you or anyone you know is being required by an employer or school to receive a Covid-19 vaccine, Ican is pleased to offer to support legal action on your behalf to challenge the requirement,” read the January email.

Ican was founded in 2016 by one of the loudest voices in the US anti-vaccine movement, Del Bigtree, who produced the widely discredited propaganda movie Vaxxed: From Cover-Up to Catastrophe. For the last year, the nonprofit has capitalized on fear surrounding supposed vaccine mandates, going on the offensive months before any lifesaving vaccines became available to the public. Now, as vaccine hesitancy persists, Ican’s legal blitz has fueled disinformation, using costly legal threats to deter schools and businesses from implementing vaccination requirements.

“If you have a limited budget to deal with litigation, it doesn’t matter if you might win at the supreme court level,” said Margaret Foster Riley, a professor at the University of Virginia School of Law. “The costs of that litigation are so existentially threatening that you’re not going to take the risk.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:

Anti-vax group mounts legal blitz to sow disinformation against vaccinations

Just as the Covid-19 vaccine rollout began in earnest in the United States, the Informed Consent Action Network (Ican) sent its subscribers a “legal update” on its war against employers and schools planning to require the shots.

An unspecified number of organizations had supposedly dropped their mandates – one just after Ican took them to court – and the Texas-based anti-vaccination nonprofit was prowling for more plaintiffs.

“If you or anyone you know is being required by an employer or school to receive a Covid-19 vaccine, Ican is pleased to offer to support legal action on your behalf to challenge the requirement,” read the January email.

Ican was founded in 2016 by one of the loudest voices in the US anti-vaccine movement, Del Bigtree, who produced the widely discredited propaganda movie Vaxxed: From Cover-Up to Catastrophe. For the last year, the nonprofit has capitalized on fear surrounding supposed vaccine mandates, going on the offensive months before any lifesaving vaccines became available to the public. Now, as vaccine hesitancy persists, Ican’s legal blitz has fueled disinformation, using costly legal threats to deter schools and businesses from implementing vaccination requirements.

“If you have a limited budget to deal with litigation, it doesn’t matter if you might win at the supreme court level,” said Margaret Foster Riley, a professor at the University of Virginia School of Law. “The costs of that litigation are so existentially threatening that you’re not going to take the risk.”

Don't take this the wrong way but... don't you just love that for an opening caveat?... I look at the anti vaxxer orgs like ICAN as an unintentional ally to thoughtful people everywhere.

By encouraging those so inclined to believe their BS they are ultimately culling the herd at this point.

If it so happens that anti vaxxers are also Trumpists, climate deniers, trickle downers, anti abortion, anti science, anti Obamacare or anti single payer health care, pro intelligent design supporters of Glen Beck, Hannity et al and born again proselytizers, we win!

The sad collateral damage is on them, not us, or at least not me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

A lot of what is wrong in Texas can be laid at the feet of Jerry Mandering.  Aided by constant scare tactics.

Jerry’s an asshole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Abbott has said repeatedly that Texans have... intelligence...

Texas governor appeals for out-of-state help to fight latest Covid wave

The Texas governor, Greg Abbott, appealed for out-of-state help to fight the third wave of Covid-19 in his state amid dire warnings while two more of the state’s largest school districts announced mask mandates in defiance of the increasingly hardline Republican.

Abbott’s request came on Monday as a county-owned hospital in Houston raised tents to accommodate their coronavirus patient overflow.

Private hospitals in the county already were requiring their staff to be vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Meanwhile, the Dallas and Austin school districts announced Monday that they would require students and staff to wear face masks. The Houston school district had announced it would implement a mask mandate for its students and staff later this week if its board approves.

The highly contagious Delta variant is causing a majority of new infections.

The Republican governor has directed the Texas department of state health services to use staffing agencies to find additional medical staff from beyond the state’s borders as the Delta wave began to overwhelm its present staffing resources.

He also has sent a letter to the Texas Hospital Association to request that hospitals postpone all elective medical procedures voluntarily.

Hospital officials in Houston said last week that area hospitals with beds had insufficient numbers of nurses to serve them.

Abbott also directed the state health department and the Texas division of emergency management to open additional Covid-19 antibody infusion centers to treat patients not needing hospital care and to expand vaccine availability to the state’s underserved communities.

He also announced about $267m in emergency Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program food benefits for August. That was on top of the $3.9bn in benefits previously allocated since April 2020.

The governor is taking action short of lifting his emergency order banning county and local government entities from requiring the wearing of masks and social distancing to lower the Covid-19 risk.

Abbott has said repeatedly that Texans have the information and intelligence to make their own decisions on what steps to take to protect their health and the health of those around them. Dallas county judge Clay Jenkins filed a lawsuit asking a judge to strike down Abbott’s mask mandate ban. 

One of Houston’s two county-owned hospitals, Harris Health System and Lyndon B Johnson hospital in north-eastern Houston, added nearly 2,000 sq ft of medical tents in the hope of taking control of the anticipated increase in patient volume and keep staff and non-Covid patients safe.

Last week, Houston area officials said the wave of Delta variant infections so strained the area’s hospitals that some patients had to be transferred out of the city, with one being sent to North Dakota.

The rolling two-week daily average of new Covid-19 cases in Texas has increased by 165% to 8,533, according to Johns Hopkins University research data.

About 45% of the state’s population has been vaccinated against the coronavirus, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2021 at 7:38 AM, Olsonist said:

Apparently, Texans oppose stupidity by a large margin.

74% Of Texas Voters Oppose Handguns With No License Or Training

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3813

Jeff will be along shortly to say that statistically the vast vast majority of gun owners never commit crimes with their gunz.

No-one would know just by looking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, Olsonist said:

Apparently, Texans oppose stupidity by a large margin.

74% Of Texas Voters Oppose Handguns With No License Or Training

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3813

Jeff will be along shortly to say that statistically the vast vast majority of gun owners never commit crimes with their gunz.

Could not prove that by the people they elect at the local, state and National levels

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Could not prove that by the people they elect at the local, state and National levels

Let's just have a look at who makes the voting machines that are in general use there...

https://www.essvote.com/

Curiously, the same ones that Kentucky uses. The ones with no paper trail.

Perhaps the US government should have a closer look at that company.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

I have no words. 

Oh, I have words... I'll just say them on election day. Why waste my breath?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas House Speaker signs civil arrest warrants to return absent Democrats to chamber

State Rep. Lyle Larson, R-San Antonio, was the lone Republican to vote against authorizing the use of arrest warrants to compel attendance in the chamber.

“Have we got to the point where we believe our own bull shizz so much that we arrest our own colleagues,” he said on Twitter. “Civil discourse took a nasty turn today.”

Look for Rep. Larson to suffer consequences for such a statement.  That cannot go unaddressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Texas House Speaker signs civil arrest warrants to return absent Democrats to chamber

State Rep. Lyle Larson, R-San Antonio, was the lone Republican to vote against authorizing the use of arrest warrants to compel attendance in the chamber.

“Have we got to the point where we believe our own bull shizz so much that we arrest our own colleagues,” he said on Twitter. “Civil discourse took a nasty turn today.”

Look for Rep. Larson to suffer consequences for such a statement.  That cannot go unaddressed.

It's a much shorter step from arresting Democratic Party representatives in the legislature, to arresting Democratic voters, than it is to making the step of arresting legislators in the first place.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Texas Power Grid Is Hanging on by Its Fingernails

“The governor’s been caught with his pants down, and is desperately praying we get through the summer.”

On Tuesday, Reuters reported that The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) predicted this week that the system will see peak highs in energy use this week, topping out at a possible 74,034 megawatts on Wednesday. It’s not super likely that consumers will see problems—but given the state of the grid and the messy reforms it’s endured since the deadly February blackouts, it’s not unreasonable to keep an eye out.

But the probability that the grid will get through this week doesn’t mean everything is hunky-dory in the Lone Star State. The grid edged close to disaster in June when ERCOT asked customers to conserve energy after a couple of power plants mysteriously went offline during rising summer temperatures. This request followed a panicked notice in April when customers were also asked to keep energy use down after several power plants were offline at the same time for maintenance.

The clusterfuck of bad luck, poor planning, and mismanagement that caused the outages in February that killed hundreds of people, plunged parts of the state into darkness for days and caused millions of dollars in consumer fees exposed ERCOT for the long-mismanaged mess it is. Despite the thorny tangle of energy-related problems that lay before the state—and the fact that the failure of natural gas facilities was a core part of the problem in February—Republicans in Texas, including Gov. Greg Abbott, were quick to jump on the narrative that frozen wind turbines were responsible for all the state’s problems. (Spoiler alert: they really weren’t.)

In June, Abbott signed two ERCOT reforms into law. One mandated weatherization for power generators and transmission lines to prepare them for extreme weather (although the legislation gives natural gas facilities, a key part of the problem in February’s blackouts, a lot of wiggle room). The other that reshuffled the leadership of ERCOT’s board, most of which resigned or were fired in very public ways back in the spring for completely screwing up management of the grid (remember the commissioner who promised big banks he’d help them keep their profits from the blackouts?).

These changes, in many ways, were the bare minimum to address the harm done in February: the weatherization mandates won’t kick in until next winter, there are no infrastructure improvements for facilities like hospitals or nursing homes, and there’s no consumer relief provision to help folks saddled with monumental electricity bills from the storm. What’s more, the Texas legislature passed bills that would force wind and solar providers to pay extra money to counter government subsidies, furthering the narrative that renewables were solely responsible for the disaster in February.

After signing the reform bills, Abbott proclaimed that “everything that needed to be done was done to fix the power grid in Texas.” That’s... a bold announcement, to say the least. In a move that doesn’t exactly inspire confidence, Abbott’s latest appointment to the ERCOT board selection committee is Arch “Beaver” Aplin, the CEO of convenience store chain Buc-ee’s who doesn’t seem to have any experience in utilities—but who just so happens to be a big donor to Abbott’s reelection bid. (Abbott also gave Aplin a gig as the chair of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission, so, it seems, the guy can do anything.)

There’s still a complex nest of problems that face ERCOT, and Abbott’s fixes are nothing but “political theater,” Hirs said. “The governor’s been caught with his pants down, and is desperately praying we get through the summer and the next winter and through the primary season. It’s a real serious problem. Texans have paid billions of dollars, and we’re going to see billions of dollars for these mistakes.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:

The Texas Power Grid Is Hanging on by Its Fingernails

“The governor’s been caught with his pants down, and is desperately praying we get through the summer.”

On Tuesday, Reuters reported that The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) predicted this week that the system will see peak highs in energy use this week, topping out at a possible 74,034 megawatts on Wednesday. It’s not super likely that consumers will see problems—but given the state of the grid and the messy reforms it’s endured since the deadly February blackouts, it’s not unreasonable to keep an eye out.

But the probability that the grid will get through this week doesn’t mean everything is hunky-dory in the Lone Star State. The grid edged close to disaster in June when ERCOT asked customers to conserve energy after a couple of power plants mysteriously went offline during rising summer temperatures. This request followed a panicked notice in April when customers were also asked to keep energy use down after several power plants were offline at the same time for maintenance.

The clusterfuck of bad luck, poor planning, and mismanagement that caused the outages in February that killed hundreds of people, plunged parts of the state into darkness for days and caused millions of dollars in consumer fees exposed ERCOT for the long-mismanaged mess it is. Despite the thorny tangle of energy-related problems that lay before the state—and the fact that the failure of natural gas facilities was a core part of the problem in February—Republicans in Texas, including Gov. Greg Abbott, were quick to jump on the narrative that frozen wind turbines were responsible for all the state’s problems. (Spoiler alert: they really weren’t.)

In June, Abbott signed two ERCOT reforms into law. One mandated weatherization for power generators and transmission lines to prepare them for extreme weather (although the legislation gives natural gas facilities, a key part of the problem in February’s blackouts, a lot of wiggle room). The other that reshuffled the leadership of ERCOT’s board, most of which resigned or were fired in very public ways back in the spring for completely screwing up management of the grid (remember the commissioner who promised big banks he’d help them keep their profits from the blackouts?).

These changes, in many ways, were the bare minimum to address the harm done in February: the weatherization mandates won’t kick in until next winter, there are no infrastructure improvements for facilities like hospitals or nursing homes, and there’s no consumer relief provision to help folks saddled with monumental electricity bills from the storm. What’s more, the Texas legislature passed bills that would force wind and solar providers to pay extra money to counter government subsidies, furthering the narrative that renewables were solely responsible for the disaster in February.

After signing the reform bills, Abbott proclaimed that “everything that needed to be done was done to fix the power grid in Texas.” That’s... a bold announcement, to say the least. In a move that doesn’t exactly inspire confidence, Abbott’s latest appointment to the ERCOT board selection committee is Arch “Beaver” Aplin, the CEO of convenience store chain Buc-ee’s who doesn’t seem to have any experience in utilities—but who just so happens to be a big donor to Abbott’s reelection bid. (Abbott also gave Aplin a gig as the chair of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission, so, it seems, the guy can do anything.)

There’s still a complex nest of problems that face ERCOT, and Abbott’s fixes are nothing but “political theater,” Hirs said. “The governor’s been caught with his pants down, and is desperately praying we get through the summer and the next winter and through the primary season. It’s a real serious problem. Texans have paid billions of dollars, and we’re going to see billions of dollars for these mistakes.”

 

How are they going to keep all the covid ventilators up and running?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mike G said:

How are they going to keep all the covid ventilators up and running?

What's Covid?  Asking for a friend in Texas.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the confederate states send us all their masks and extra vaccine, we will trade for ventllators. If they are really contrite, we might help with electricity too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Voyageur said:

we might help with electricity too.

No fucking way. The Texan's laughed at California when Enron was fucking the state over, and the south regularly vote to withhold emergency funds. Fuck em. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

No fucking way. The Texan's laughed at California when Enron was fucking the state over, and the south regularly vote to withhold emergency funds. Fuck em. 

Maybe they can get some from Mexico.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Former student just started a new teaching job in Houston.  She writes "Vaxxed teachers get a $500 stipend and 10 days paid leave if they have to isolate.  Unvaxxed teachers get neither."

Does the Guvnuh know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 6:26 PM, saxdog said:

Isn't Floride a liberal plot to poison the water?

think poison water is all conservatives/CEO's

Wastewater from Piney Point released into Tampa Bay following leak at phosphogypsum stack 

Link to post
Share on other sites