1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

So back, this time power off only 5 hours. Winner! I remember around Christmas time in the 80s here where it didn't get above freezing for 9 days. Of course that was before we got all smart and deregulated the energy market.  The only times power has been an issue is hurricanes, this is not normal, this is no warning when it is coming or going although we get boiled water notices for every friggin town in the area.

Now that the generator decided it's time to start dripping fuel I am sooper happy it's not needed. If the power will just be on in the morning to make coffee I promise to find out what happened. I mean, I did start it before Harvey, you would think every 3 or 4 years would be good enough. 

Lots of people worse off, I can take a hot shower by candlelight as long as I don't swallow.  Hope Junkyard Dog gets his hot shower soon.  A lot of people I know are now dealing with busted pipes - combo of cold weather and no heat.  I would recommend Rick Perry not venture out in public for some time.

edit: so latest is expect outages through the weekend. Meanwhile boil your water if you have it, and have some way to boil it  The gifts just keep coming.

Sorry to hear what you guys are going through.  Shit gets real in a hurry, don't it.  

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be clear. In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States. Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden f

A Houston furniture store opened its doors as a refuge. Thousands came for help. Feb. 18, 2021, 10:33 a.m. ETFeb. 18, 2021 Feb. 18, 2021 By Christine Hauser  

At least AOC is doing something for people in need. Good for her! You are a person that is throwing rocks at someone that is helping. Really? Have you thought that through? Here in NY we have had a ho

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

This was said by the lying liars at FAUX  ..  

lwcWzwo.jpg

I always thought that photovoltaics got more efficient the colder it got.  Reason that large lenses to increase the output of expensive cells didn't work out so well.

Problem with the free market approach is some math guy picked a number, probably 3-9s and said "power system available 99/9% of the time is more than enough. We can sell that" - Problem is, that .1% builds and builds,9 hours per year. 

So, math guy says "99.9% is fine" but reality beats the shit out of 99.9% all the time by throwing an event a couple std deviations from the norm. Cause that's what happens. Beats math guy every time. You can bet on it.  So Joe-Schmuck thinks he's getting a great deal at $137/month, but takes the risk of an $8k bill.

How to you address it? Build more cost into the system so that these totally foreseeable events can be absorbed.  But it's now going to be $145/month, and the unregulated company looks like a deal.

A straight up policy failure and people are dying.

good reporting in the NYT:

Excerpt:

The lack of winter preparedness has long been an issue for ERCOT's power system. About 10 years ago, a bitter cold snap caused over 3.2 million ERCOT customers to lose power during Super Bowl week. A 350-page federal report on the outages (PDF) found that the power generators' winterization procedures were "either inadequate or were not adequately followed."
When asked on Wednesday why ERCOT hasn't mandated more winterization to prevent outages, ERCOT's senior director of system operations Dan Woodfin said it was not required.
"I guess the role of ERCOT is not necessarily to mandate those kind of things," he said.
Woodfin said the company's annual spot checks to ensure generators are following best practice winterization plans were done virtually this year due to the pandemic.
Compounding the issue is that Texas's electric system of ERCOT is isolated from the rest of the country, partly as a way to avoid federal regulation. So it cannot simply import power from elsewhere to make up for the shortage.
7 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Now that the generator decided it's time to start dripping fuel I am sooper happy it's not needed. If the power will just be on in the morning to make coffee I promise to find out what happened. I mean, I did start it before Harvey, you would think every 3 or 4 years would be good enough. 

When mine started dripping fuel a few years back, the problem turned out to be that vibration had caused the plastic fuel tank to crack. I couldn't find a replacement so had an aluminum one made. It has about twice the capacity of the original. It also made the thing harder to move, but a friend gave me a casket dolly from a funeral home so I mounted the generator on it. It gets run every month or two and gets fresh fuel every June.

We have two rental homes nearby that have a lift station in the septic system. A really shitty situation if power goes out. My plan, which I hope to never put into action, is to roll the dolly onto my utility trailer and make electricity house calls.

1 hour ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

When mine started dripping fuel a few years back, the problem turned out to be that vibration had caused the plastic fuel tank to crack. I couldn't find a replacement so had an aluminum one made. It has about twice the capacity of the original. It also made the thing harder to move, but a friend gave me a casket dolly from a funeral home so I mounted the generator on it. It gets run every month or two and gets fresh fuel every June.

We have two rental homes nearby that have a lift station in the septic system. A really shitty situation if power goes out. My plan, which I hope to never put into action, is to roll the dolly onto my utility trailer and make electricity house calls.

Good stuff - I think the issue is carb related, last time it was out on a job it was shut off with the switch and not fired up for a couple of years, required cleaning in stages by continuing to disassemble everything to the point I could take it apart and put back together like a NASCAR pit crew.   This is the first time it has run more than a test since then so vibrations did what they do. It's not big enough, was picked ten years ago as the largest I could load in the truck by myself. Of course SWMBO now thinks we need a NG one in addition to a lot of other things to be prepared. sigh. I do need to be more proactive in maintenance or just get rid of a bunch of stuff I am not using regularly.

Our power is back, no busted pipes so today will see what I can do to help those less fortunate. 

For those that haven't experienced this - lots of engines have that start stop switch, if there is a fuel switch use that. You will thank me later.

6 hours ago, Laker said:

I always thought that photovoltaics got more efficient the colder it got.  Reason that large lenses to increase the output of expensive cells didn't work out so well.

They do.  And vice-versa.  One of the big innovations in solar-racing was to have a built in cooling system - usually by flowing air under the skin of the photovoltaics via the motion of the car.

9 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I do need to be more proactive in maintenance or just get rid of a bunch of stuff I am not using regularly.

We went two for two yesterday on disused stuff. My skiff engine apparently needs a new impeller, so more age related than disuse related. As far as I know, it's the original 1986 impeller. But my wife's skiff engine has a carb problem that's almost certainly related to the fact it hasn't been run in a couple of months. It will probably be for sale soon. Just not getting used enough to justify owning it.

• Like 1
Just to be clear.
In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States.
Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden for an emergency declaration because their private electrical grid failed.
Several years ago, Cruz voted against federal relief for New England states affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Last year during rolling blackouts in California, Cruz and several other Texas Republicans shredded California Democrats for supposedly being at fault for the outages.
Texas, a red state, did not go for Biden.
Biden granted the emergency declaration without making fun of Texas, without bringing up the secession bill, without pointing out all the shit Cruz has said about him, and without criticizing the state’s decision to get off the national grid to evade federal regulations.
He just did it. Because Texans are Americans, too. And they’re hurting, and need relief.
Just to be clear, this is how a real President behaves.
  • Like 8
11 hours ago, d'ranger said:

So back, this time power off only 5 hours. Winner! I remember around Christmas time in the 80s here where it didn't get above freezing for 9 days. Of course that was before we got all smart and deregulated the energy market.  The only times power has been an issue is hurricanes, this is not normal, this is no warning when it is coming or going although we get boiled water notices for every friggin town in the area.

Lots of people worse off, I can take a hot shower by candlelight as long as I don't swallow.  Hope Junkyard Dog gets his hot shower soon.  A lot of people I know are now dealing with busted pipes - combo of cold weather and no heat.  I would recommend Rick Perry not venture out in public for some time.

edit: so latest is expect outages through the weekend. Meanwhile boil your water if you have it, and have some way to boil it  The gifts just keep coming.

Crews were able to refill the MUD district's water tank, so we were able to turn the water back on. I did finally get to have a hot shower. Power is currently on. Fingers crossed that it stays on tonight. That is supposed to be the last of the really hard freezes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Good stuff - I think the issue is carb related, last time it was out on a job it was shut off with the switch and not fired up for a couple of years, required cleaning in stages by continuing to disassemble everything to the point I could take it apart and put back together like a NASCAR pit crew.   This is the first time it has run more than a test since then so vibrations did what they do. It's not big enough, was picked ten years ago as the largest I could load in the truck by myself. Of course SWMBO now thinks we need a NG one in addition to a lot of other things to be prepared. sigh. I do need to be more proactive in maintenance or just get rid of a bunch of stuff I am not using regularly.

Our power is back, no busted pipes so today will see what I can do to help those less fortunate. 

For those that haven't experienced this - lots of engines have that start stop switch, if there is a fuel switch use that. You will thank me later.

I had to put a new carb on our genset during our October ice storm.  $20 on EBay and 2nd day shipping.  15min to swap it.  Well worth having a replacement on the shelf for emergencies instead of trying to rebuild the POS that was there. 

This should begin the end of his life in politics.  But, I doubt it will.

Word of flight to Cancun from frozen Texas lands Senator Ted Cruz in hot water

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senator Ted Cruz flew to the Mexican resort city of Cancun with his family, Fox News reported on Thursday, as millions of his fellow Texans struggled through a deadly deep freeze, sparking a slew of criticism.

The Republican lawmaker, 50, faced widespread criticism as photos circulated on social media showing him in an airport line, in a passenger lounge, aboard an airliner and departing an airport in Mexico. It was unclear when the photos were taken and Cruz's Senate office did not respond to multiple queries.

Fox News said Cruz flew to Cancun with his family, quoting an unidentified Republican source who said: "The photos speak for themselves."

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senator Ted Cruz flew to the Mexican resort city of Cancun with his family, Fox News reported on Thursday, as millions of his fellow Texans struggled through a deadly deep freeze, sparking a slew of criticism.

The Republican lawmaker, 50, faced widespread criticism as photos circulated on social media showing him in an airport line, in a passenger lounge, aboard an airliner and departing an airport in Mexico. It was unclear when the photos were taken and Cruz's Senate office did not respond to multiple queries.

Fox News said Cruz flew to Cancun with his family, quoting an unidentified Republican source who said: "The photos speak for themselves."

his constituents applaud him for his resourcefulness..

3 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

If Texas were to rename their power grid "Uterus", the politicos down there would regulate the shit out of it.

Well played.

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

if there is a fuel switch use that. You will thank me later.

This^ Always run your small engines and outboards dry, especially if you use fuel with ethanol. There's a place near me that sells non-ethanol fuel, which lasts years, but it's super pricey.

6 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

He is merely watching out for himself, as the recently resigned mayor suggested ALL the people in Texas should do.  I believe everyone in Texas should fly to Cancun until it warms up in Texas.  If you're lazy and don't want to take care of yourself, that's your problem.

10 hours ago, Laker said:

The quantum efficiency increases in the cold because the recombination in the conducting layer decreases, with decreases phonon activity. And supposedly, even an inch or two of powder snow is partly transparent to the shorter wavelength waves that carry most of the light energy (thus the reason snow tends to look bluish rather than reddish.) BUT, I've been actually looking at the output gauge for my 6 kW rooftop photovoltaic array and it's just barely pissing out the juice, it was at less than 0.5 kW the other day .. it's not horrible, given all the snow, but it's not 6 kW. The low position of the sun on the winter horizon is apparently a much bigger impact to efficiency than the contribution that the cold air helps to reduce the recombination.

That's the problem with applying politics to energy ... one is politics, and the other is science. So A.J.'s meme up there is in fact a form of disinformation, or possibly misinformation. The reason there are so many solar panels in Alaska, Greenland, Canada, Norway, Finland, et al., isn't because of their winter power production. It's because of their summer power production. In the summer, you get the cooler temperatures in the Northern latitudes, (or far Southern latitudes like Antarctica) so that increases quantum efficiency, and you get the sun way up on the horizon, with long, long days, 16 hours of daylight, 18 hours of daylight, even 22 hours of daylight, and that is bingo for these PV systems, they pump energy in the summer like mad up in the Northern latitudes.

These Native American tribes up in Alaska often get DOE funds to install big solar panel arrays, and they hit payback far sooner than anyone expected they would. Suddenly the tribe has a revenue source from these PV arrays, selling power to the residents and neighboring grids, sometimes even microgrids. They do need winter power source though, and ground source heat pumps seem like the right direction. They can use all this excess power in the summer to pump heat into the ground and the rocks, and then pull that heat out all through the winter with heat pumps driven by the dregs of their PV power production, or sometimes diesel. But the electrical demands of these heat pumps aren't too bad. And it's possible eventually to even add some hot-dry-rock geothermal to the mix, so they can pull up enough power from a deep bore to extract their stored energy from the summer.

35 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

I had to put a new carb on our genset during our October ice storm.  $20 on EBay and 2nd day shipping.  15min to swap it.  Well worth having a replacement on the shelf for emergencies instead of trying to rebuild the POS that was there. 

Some kind of Mikuni clone? Those carbs are awesome, so bloody simple.

1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

more Ted news

Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) has been accused of traveling to Cancun, Mexico, amid the ongoing crisis in Texas, where millions have been left without power or heat in freezing temperatures.

I assume that's his daughter waiting for him? So, what's the deal with a millionaire's kid clutching a cup of 39-cent noodle soup? Do they now serve that shit on the plane? I haven't flown since the pandemic started, is this the new in-flight service, hand the passengers a fucking styrofoam cup filled with oodles of noodles?

“And you got to understand, this is especially tough for Texans because they’re not equipped for snow. They don’t have snow shovels out there. Their best bet is to grab their AR-15s and shoot each snowflake before it lands: ‘Go back to Canada where you belong!’” — TREVOR NOAH

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

After Charley, we had to double up before flushing.  The City of Fat Point did not have a generator to power the lift pump down the street.

The electricity was off for nearly 3 weeks.  The night of Charley, it was neat.  No noise and no lights, so quiet and great stars.  The next day it got noisy.

All of the girls were bathing in T's pool across the street when a helicopter flew by.  He stopped and hovered as they flashed him.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Hey, isn’t the Senate in session? Playing hooky from work? Dock his pay!

I haven't heard anyone mention kerosene heaters.  One of the old Kerosun 360 degree ones bailed me out when I lost power due to an ice storm several years ago.  

Feel for you guys, particularly those with bursting pipes.

6 hours ago, d'ranger said:
7 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

Good stuff - I think the issue is carb related, last

We all see what you did there.

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Are you kidding?

They'll admire him for it

Ted Cruz jetting off to Mexico while Texans remain dying in the cold isn’t surprising, but it is deeply disturbing and disappointing,” party chair Gilberto Hinojosa said in a statement on Thursday. “Cruz is emblematic of what the Texas Republican Party and its leaders have become: weak, corrupt, inept and self-serving politicians who don’t give a damn about the people they were elected to represent. They were elected by the people but have no interest or intent of doing their jobs.”

31 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

There's always a tweet. Ted is such an asshole.

Dear Mr. Piece-of-shit Cruz.  Let's review.

Mayor Adler went to cabo on a PRIVATE (safe) jet, and then went to a PRIVATE time share he owned.  For his daughter's wedding.  This was during a potential spike in Covid, which why he suggested people should stay home.  Because not many have their own private time share and can hire their own private jet.

On the other hand, Mr. Cruz, you left in the middle of natural disaster, in the middle of covid, flying on an airplane filled with other people, for no other reason than to go on vacation.

The situations are not analogous.  You're a dick.

• Like 2

His name is Rafael Edward Cruz. He got cold, had to flee to old Mexico. If he wasn't shamed into coming home, he'd still be there, hanging out with the people he would put in cages, if they came here. Nice mom jeans Raf.

While part of me finds this hilarious because we’ve been dealing with sub zero temps for the last few weeks with no issues and just consider it a normal winter, I genuinely feel bad for the Texans dealing with this shit. A few years ago, the furnace quit for good in my house when it was -15. Ignoring the cold, that horrible feeling of gambling with unattended  space heaters versus burst water pipes is genuinely unpleasant. And that was with working electricity and gas. 

'Don't let him back in': backlash as Cruz caught leaving Texas for , Where trumps wall when you really need it, GO back to Cuba 

Cruz also drew the ire from Beto O’Rourke, who has spent the last few days connecting residents to local resources and calling thousands of seniors to make sure they are warm. “[Cruz] is vacationing in Cancun right now when people are literally freezing to death in the state that he was elected to represent and serve,” the former congressman and presidential hopeful said on MSNBC Thursday.

3 hours ago, Remodel said:

Well played.

This^ Always run your small engines and outboards dry, especially if you use fuel with ethanol. There's a place near me that sells non-ethanol fuel, which lasts years, but it's super pricey.

I keep a jug of ethanol free 100LL from the airport around for lawn equipment. It is around $5/gallon and it smells so nice when I cut the lawn.

34 minutes ago, Voyageur said:

His name is Rafael Edward Cruz. He got cold,

He may have a hot climate name but to our everlasting shame the cocksucker was born here - in one of our socialist hospitals so his parents didn't have to pay a big bill for his delivery.

That scum absolutely defines everything that is currently wrong with Republicans.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

'Don't let him back in': backlash as Cruz caught leaving Texas for , Where trumps wall when you really need it, GO back to Cuba 

Cruz also drew the ire from Beto O’Rourke, who has spent the last few days connecting residents to local resources and calling thousands of seniors to make sure they are warm. “[Cruz] is vacationing in Cancun right now when people are literally freezing to death in the state that he was elected to represent and serve,” the former congressman and presidential hopeful said on MSNBC Thursday.

Not only will they excuse him and welcome him back, they'll re-elect him, likely with an increased majority.

Anyone who voted Republican and freezes to death in Texas can be literally called too stupid to live.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Dear Mr. Piece-of-shit Cruz.  Let's review.

Mayor Adler went to cabo on a PRIVATE (safe) jet, and then went to a PRIVATE time share he owned.  For his daughter's wedding.  This was during a potential spike in Covid, which why he suggested people should stay home.  Because not many have their own private time share and can hire their own private jet.

On the other hand, Mr. Cruz, you left in the middle of natural disaster, in the middle of covid, flying on an airplane filled with other people, for no other reason than to go on vacation.

The situations are not analogous.  You're a dick.

actually, Doggy defending him would be dickish.....Teddy is a complete  pile of human feces

4 hours ago, learningJ24 said:

If you guys would stop buying cheap POS engines and using shitty fuel containing ethanol you wouldn't have most of these problems.

I've got a Yamaha petrol gen set and it ALWAYS starts even if the fuel is 12+ months old. But that's the toy gen set for power tools in the field. Diesel is the only way to go for reliability.

FKT

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

If you guys would stop buying cheap POS engines and using shitty fuel containing ethanol you wouldn't have most of these problems.

I've got a Yamaha petrol gen set and it ALWAYS starts even if the fuel is 12+ months old. But that's the toy gen set for power tools in the field. Diesel is the only way to go for reliability.

FKT

Yeah, buddy's Atomic 4 had sat for a year due to his move cross-country. We were heads down on the engine last weekend chasing shit fuel from the tank to the filter, the pump, the inline filter and the carb. Great that it's just 2 bolts and one cable to remove it. It was full of varnish. Soaked overnight, engine now runs like a champ.

Has everyone forgotten the concept of a petcock on the fuel tank of gas engines?

When you're finished with the engine, close the petcock and run the system dry.

No problems the next time you start it - unless the tank fuel is very old in which case you replaced it before starting didn't you?

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

Yeah, buddy's Atomic 4 had sat for a year due to his move cross-country. We were heads down on the engine last weekend chasing shit fuel from the tank to the filter, the pump, the inline filter and the carb. Great that it's just 2 bolts and one cable to remove it. It was full of varnish. Soaked overnight, engine now runs like a champ.

That's an old flat head side valve engine, right? Dead simple engine and carb. Should last pretty much forever if cared for.

I made the mistake of buying a Chinese Honda copy engine driving a water pump. The engine is fine - so far - but the fuel hose from the tank to the carb rotted out in less than 12 months in the shed, no exposure to UV at all. Don't know what they made it from but it's utter rubbish.

Same time I bought an inverter gen set also Chinese, also from Aldi, and it's fine, no problems at all. Same colour scheme but as it was from Aldi, could be any manufacturer that offered the best price.

Both were bought as dispose-a-tools for a single job up in the bush and have done that so - shrug. I'll replace all the fuel lines and we'll see...

FKT

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Has everyone forgotten the concept of a petcock on the fuel tank of gas engines?

No problems the next time you start it - unless the tank fuel is very old in which case you replaced it before starting didn't you?

Basically what I do but even if I don't - chainsaws for example - I've not had a problem due to bad fuel.

FKT

4 hours ago, mikewof said:

I assume that's his daughter waiting for him? So, what's the deal with a millionaire's kid clutching a cup of 39-cent noodle soup? Do they now serve that shit on the plane? I haven't flown since the pandemic started, is this the new in-flight service, hand the passengers a fucking styrofoam cup filled with oodles of noodles?

I don't care how rich you are, kids love cup-noodles. Maybe it's the salt, I dunno. But they love it.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I certainly know that. my buddy is not a motor guy. 

8 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That's an old flat head side valve engine, right? Dead simple engine and carb. Should last pretty much forever if cared for.

Yep, never had the joy of working on one, was dead simple, and parts available at the corner autoparts store for non-marine prices. Of course, the boat can blow up, so there's that.

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Yep, never had the joy of working on one, was dead simple, and parts available at the corner autoparts store for non-marine prices. Of course, the boat can blow up, so there's that.

Reminds me - I need to pick up a couple impellers for my Bukh diesel. Better take my own lube with me, it'll hurt less that way. Speaking of marine prices...

FKT

20210218_125948.thumb.jpg.d46200f48a1a6a7de5c65c0021aaff07.jpg

2 inches thick, started getting port beam compression and lifting ice so broke it up, except stern (can't get to it) and bow to keep it locked in fore and aft. 

Where I broke some of it yesterday to measure,  it only refroze to 1 inch. 

32f atm, and sunny.  16f tonight.  About 35 for a few hours hours tomorrow. 

No water now for 4 days.  Drove to office which has water and got 5 gallons or so.  There is plenty of bottled water on the boat, but avoiding getting on it while encased in ice. Melting ice to fill toilets.  Have had continuous power now for 10 hours.

Roads will be a bitch tonight and tomorrow morning. Will be a lot of refrozen ice and melt exposed. 

Water is going to be a major issue for the next week in Dallas fort worth. What water pressure there is will be significantly lowered as the ground and houses warm up.

26 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Basically what I do but even if I don't - chainsaws for example - I've not had a problem due to bad fuel.

FKT

Was going to write something lengthy about old ethanol enhaced fuel and carbs (or injectors, for that matter), but you primed it beautifully.

Point is, if you guys have a gasoline engine sitting for months or longer, treat it with some good quality synthetic 2-stroke oil. The old fuel will still be less combustible and should be kept to a minimum level (top off with fresh fuel when needed) but the 2-stroke oil keeps the internals from rotting or clogging up.

We have experienced that problem mostly on vintage cars and motorcycles that were in hibernation for months, ever since ethanol gas was introduced over here. A quality 2-stroke oil for chainsaws seems to work even better than the oil for scooters or dirt bikes. We use the Stihl brand stuff.

Other than that, rotate the canned fuel every two months. Put it in your cars and refill the cans.

For diesel engines, use some additive to avoid diesel fungus and it lasts for years.

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I keep a jug of ethanol free 100LL from the airport around for lawn equipment. It is around $5/gallon and it smells so nice when I cut the lawn.

I miss the smell of 100LL. :)

2 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

20210218_125948.thumb.jpg.d46200f48a1a6a7de5c65c0021aaff07.jpg

2 inches thick, started getting port beam compression and lifting ice so broke it up, except stern (can't get to it) and bow to keep it locked in fore and aft. 

Where I broke some of it yesterday to measure,  it only refroze to 1 inch. 

32f atm, and sunny.  16f tonight.  About 35 for a few hours hours tomorrow. 

No water now for 4 days.  Drove to office which has water and got 5 gallons or so.  There is plenty of bottled water on the boat, but avoiding getting on it while encased in ice. Melting ice to fill toilets.  Have had continuous power now for 10 hours.

Roads will be a bitch tonight and tomorrow morning. Will be a lot of refrozen ice and melt exposed. 

Water is going to be a major issue for the next week in Dallas fort worth. What water pressure there is will be significantly lowered as the ground and houses warm up.

That's mind-blowing to me, you had two inches of ice in just a few days.  2 inches is enough to cause hull damage. Is that brackish water?

When it got thick, and I couldn't get through it with my 4x4 post method, I used to get tempted to hop over the toe-rail and stand on the ice to smash it, where I could get some leverage, My plan was to jump back onto the boat when I felt it giving way. Luckily even after several rum runners, I never did something so stupid.

16 minutes ago, mikewof said:

That's mind-blowing to me, you had two inches of ice in just a few days.  2 inches is enough to cause hull damage. Is that brackish water?

When it got thick, and I couldn't get through it with my 4x4 post method, I used to get tempted to hop over the toe-rail and stand on the ice to smash it, where I could get some leverage, My plan was to jump back onto the boat when I felt it giving way. Luckily even after several rum runners, I never did something so stupid.

Geez, Mike.  Glad you didn't follow through.  That sounds like a microsecond between success and disaster.

3 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Was thinking same thing.....

9 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Geez, Mike.  Glad you didn't follow through.  That sounds like a microsecond between success and disaster.

It's stressful to see the hull under that kind of pressure, and stress plus alcohol can lead to bad decisions. I finally dragged bags of rock salt back and poured them on the ice. That weakened it enough in a few hours to smash it up with the 4x4. Ultimately, the ledges near the boats don't have as much strength as it seems, they're ledges, not arches. But when you finally free the hull, and it rocks as you move on it, feeling of total relief.

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

2" ? that's safe for human wandering about, just watch out for soft spots. stagnant lakes have surprising currents.

1' is when we would drive the cars on it.

3 minutes ago, Teener said:
26 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

joe.jpg

is what a president says.

Image result for trump california funding tweet

is what a piece of shit says.

Would love to see one of the Faithful chime in and defend that.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

2" ? that's safe for human wandering about, just watch out for soft spots. stagnant lakes have surprising currents.

1' is when we would drive the cars on it.

Yeah.... But.....

Watching the log trucks take the short cut across the Harriman reservoir in the winter, and completely disappear from view for about 3 minute because of the ice sagging under the weight, was breath catching.... I'm pretty sure it was 3-4' thick before the trucks would cross.

The idiots in doodle bugs and jeeps would go out and spin doughnuts with whips of kids in boots at 6".... Lost a bunch of doodle bugs and jeeps. Don't know about how many kids/drivers got lost, but it was more than a handful.

4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Lyin Ted admits error in going to Cancun.  That's two mea culpa's in a week.  No way will he win the nomination now. 

He's no Trump.......... He's just as much of a lying asshole, but if he admits to anything other than being the best, he's just a loser.

One wonders if Ted Cruz has actually ever lived in Texas or been party to any official Texan business or indeed, knows any Texans?

Maybe his usual body double is hunkered down in some snowstorm somewhere and thus The real TC just got caught on a plane to warmer climes.

7 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

One wonders if Ted Cruz has actually ever lived in Texas or been party to any official Texan business or indeed, knows any Texans?

Maybe his usual body double is hunkered down in some snowstorm somewhere and thus The real TC just got caught on a plane to warmer climes.

Well, it's well documented that he was born in the great white north (Canada), so there's really no wonder that he flees south when the snow flies.... It's just a natural reaction. Look at all the Canada geese on golf courses....

image.png.f21f4ec53b55e6c16448593bd54dbd7a.png

Oops! That just sounded like a goose....

23 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I would recommend Rick Perry not venture out in public for some time.

My knowledge of Rick Perry begins and ends with the time I supported his energy policies at the U.S. Department of Energy, and he did a good job there ... he played the politics, he got a lot of money for renewable energy and energy and efficiency, he supported projects that reduced climate change emissions, and he managed to keep the "troops" happy, for the most part. As far as I know, the work he supported in smart grid may have even saved Texas from a problem that could have been worse than it was.

Given that, I don't know anything about Rick Perry the governor. He must have had some monumentally shit policy that he is blamed for this rather than Greg Abbott. Is Perry generally just hated, or is he hated specifically for his in-state energy politics?

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

My knowledge of Rick Perry begins and ends with the time I supported his energy policies at the U.S. Department of Energy, and he did a good job there ... he played the politics, he got a lot of money for renewable energy and energy and efficiency, and he managed to keep the "troops" happy, for the most part. As far as I know, the work he supported in smart grid may have even saved Texas from a problem that could have been a lot worse than it was.

Given that, I don't know anything about Rick Perry the governor. He must have had some monumentally shit policy that he is blamed for this rather than Greg Abbott. Is Perry generally just hated, or is he hated specifically for his in-state energy politics?

Perry is known mostly for being a complete idiot.

14 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Perry is known mostly for being a complete idiot.

That's all any of us knew about him before he took over for Moniz. We were prepared for the worst, chaos, complete dismantling of offices and programs. And he came in and managed to restart stalled projects, and increased funding for the "greeniest" of the greenie projects. He was the no idiot in the DOE, but I would like to know his perception in Texas that he's shouldering the blame for the power generation failures.

5 hours ago, mikewof said:

It's stressful to see the hull under that kind of pressure, and stress plus alcohol can lead to bad decisions. I finally dragged bags of rock salt back and poured them on the ice. That weakened it enough in a few hours to smash it up with the 4x4. Ultimately, the ledges near the boats don't have as much strength as it seems, they're ledges, not arches. But when you finally free the hull, and it rocks as you move on it, feeling of total relief.

I did kneel with my left knee on the finger,  right hand on toenail and try my 240lbs with my right foot on the ice.  Felt as if I was standing on concrete..  Didn't push my luck though. 

I used a sharpened narrow trench shovel to cut a 4 inch square hole and then use this weakness to start cracking away from it. 

Took about 6 strong throws to punch the blade through to start a hole.

In hindsight,  the marina had a different ice dynamic today.  Stream water has started coming in diagonally opposite  corner of the marina and I could mostly see the path of this water. Boats on the same dock,  closer to the main shore only had 3/4 inch,  while 4 boats at the end,  including mine had 2 inches. 

Plus we have a breakwater 4 feet on the other side of the dock so my boat is just in an area that the stream passes by.

Just a best guess.

It will be interesting tomorrow morning.  Revised overnight is now min of 12f.

That's -10 c for the Aussies.  The ice started forming monday night/ Tuesday morning when the temp sat around 1f ( -15 c) for about 12 hours straight.   Water temp along the dock Sunday was 42f.

AOC is raising money to help Texas - one million in the first four hours. 

https://www.pix11.com/news/national-news/ocasio-cortez-raises-1-million-for-texas-relief-in-4-hours

Meanwhile the media and GOPPER Reich are blaming her personally for their complete and total screw ups. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trevor-noah-attacks-insane-fox-news-and-gop-pols-blaming-aoc-for-texas-power-crisis

5 hours ago, Raz'r said:

hell, done right, you can get an entire town out on the ice:

image.png.233b8bf8949451b1eb62d204eed91c72.png

Obviously these morons have never heard of global warming! :D  

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Obviously these morons have never heard of global warming! :D  

It is called climate change, you fucking idiot.

• Like 1