3 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

Prediction: Texas will raise the rates to pay for upgrades to the grid then slow walk the work.

Capitalism baby. Gotta love it, especially the predatory variety.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be clear. In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States. Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden f

A Houston furniture store opened its doors as a refuge. Thousands came for help. Feb. 18, 2021, 10:33 a.m. ETFeb. 18, 2021 Feb. 18, 2021 By Christine Hauser  

At least AOC is doing something for people in need. Good for her! You are a person that is throwing rocks at someone that is helping. Really? Have you thought that through? Here in NY we have had a ho

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Ted Cruz Is No Hypocrite. He’s Worse.

It is tempting to turn the “hypocrite” label on Cruz, but his sin is worse. Every politician is a hypocrite at some point. Cruz’s error is not that he was shirking a duty he knew he should have been performing. It’s that he couldn’t think of any way he could use his power as a U.S. senator to help Texans in need. That’s a failure of imagination and of political ideology.

What duty does a federal legislator have wrt local power outages. It was bad optics.

1 minute ago, Dog said:
15 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Ted Cruz Is No Hypocrite. He’s Worse.

It is tempting to turn the “hypocrite” label on Cruz, but his sin is worse. Every politician is a hypocrite at some point. Cruz’s error is not that he was shirking a duty he knew he should have been performing. It’s that he couldn’t think of any way he could use his power as a U.S. senator to help Texans in need. That’s a failure of imagination and of political ideology.

What duty does a federal legislator have wrt local power outages. It was bad optics.

I would ask if you read the linked article.  But, I have a hunch I know the answer.

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

I'm going to remember this comment for when a Democrat is held accountable for something bad happening in their home district/state. 

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I would ask if you read the linked article.  But, I have a hunch I know the answer.

The article doesn't answer my question.

• Downvote 1
8 minutes ago, Dog said:

He could have performed house checks on the elderly as did Beto,  O’Rouke, Castro and Sheila Jackson Lee.  But he preferred to check out the beach at the Ritz Carlton Cancun.

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't know, perhaps petitioning FEMA and/or the Defense Department to get food and water delivered to his constituents. Hell, even the evil AOC has raised over a million dollars for Texas relief. But you don't think a federal legislator has a duty to his voters. I'm guessing it would be different if Cruz was a DemocRat.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

He could have performed house checks on the elderly as did Beto,  O’Rouke, Castro and Sheila Jackson Lee.  But he preferred to check out the beach at the Ritz Carlton Cancun.

Yeah, he could have and that would have been nice (props to Robert and Shelia for doing it) but the article accuses him of abdicating his duty. 

2 minutes ago, Remodel said:

I don't know, perhaps petitioning FEMA and/or the Defense Department to get food and water delivered to his constituents. Hell, even the evil AOC has raised over a million dollars for Texas relief. But you don't think a federal legislator has a duty to his voters. I'm guessing it would be different if Cruz was a DemocRat.

I'm guessing it would be different if Cruz was a Democrat too.

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

Yeah, he could have and that would have been nice (props to Robert and Shelia for doing it) but the article accuses him of abdicating his duty. 

I’d say he had a duty to do what his DemocRAT colleagues did.

48 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

If its yellow let it mellow. If its brown flush it down.

From a long time ago - when in the islands under the sun we do not flush for number one.

And enough Cruz bashing - he is very unpopular even by the always vote Republican crowd, gets enough big $$ that primaries are a joke.  In 3 1/2 years the joke will be on him.  Trust me.   And now, for another oldie

Why do people take an instant dislike to Ted Cruz?

It saves times.  I will be here all week.  Without water. I am now expecting swarms of locusts to descend upon us.

edit: And on the bright side (always look on the bright side) we no longer have to boil water. 

18 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

he could have tossed paper towels to his constituents ....

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Dog said:

I'm guessing it would be different if Cruz was a Democrat too.

True, Democrats are far better at holding their colleagues accountable.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You have a funny idea about what "local" means.

He has a funny idea about how Republicans should be viewed with regard to accountability.

3 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:
27 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You have a funny idea about what "local" means.

He has a funny idea about how Republicans should be viewed with regard to accountability.

It's not funny, it's just standard Republican doctrine: the government is not supposed to help the average citizen, the greater majority of it's people. No duty of care, no responsibility, no accountability. Government is supposed to help BUSINESS.

- DSK

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's not funny, it's just standard Republican doctrine: the government is not supposed to help the average citizen, the greater majority of it's people. No duty of care, no responsibility, no accountability. Government is supposed to help BUSINESS.

- DSK

Dog must have had the guy who took Trump's SAT/ACT take his citizenship test.

• Like 1

Dear Republicans, and Libertarians.  This is what happens when you remove government oversight and accountability from the system in the name of "freedumb" and "capitalism" and the "free market".  You are idiots.

Signed:

The rest of the civilized world.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dog said:

Its a fair question, and a salient point. 

First, the optics are bad for a reason. For Cruz to show the benefits of privilege while his voters were suffering shows a lack of compassion and arrogance. In that sense, Cruz wasn't doing his job for the GOP or for Republicans of Texas. Its not compassionate Conservatism when you are jetting off to a beach and those who vote for you are freezing to death.

Second, Cruz's insensitivity and poor leadership skills speak to moral failings which underpin so many Republican actions & statements of late: restricting voting, reducing access to healthcare, tax cuts for the wealthy, turning a blind eye to pollution which adversely affects the poorest in their states.

As far as what could be done by a Senator during their state's time of crisis? Well, he is supposedly one of Texas' main intermediaries between his home state and the federal government. For him to abdicate all responsibility when they need him the most does both the federal government and the state a disservice. Its his job to understand and communicate with both federal and state agencies to ensure that the response to those in need are efficient and any SNAFUs are addressed in a timely fashion. Perhaps state or local agencies don't know how to access federal resources: they might call the Senator's office and receive assistance, perhaps buttressed by a call from Cruz himself.

When asked at a presidential town hall how to get a vaccine, Biden told a woman that it was up to the individual states to determine who gets them and through what process, but then told her to hang on after the meeting and someone from his staff might help her get in touch with the right people. That's how a leader handles problems: clearly, directly and compassionately. 

It's the Senator's job to make himself useful. His abdication of responsibility and your apparent willingness to encourage it is everything wrong with the GOP: they believe and enforce the idea that the government is the problem. Really, it's just the GOP that is the problem.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

Thats great.  Maybe some day she can actually do something for the people she actually represents in her own district instead of nationally
showboating everywhere else as a pawn for her string pullers. 

at least she wasn't in Cancun , with the cunt cruz

Just now, Not for nothing said:

Thats great.  Maybe some day she can actually do something for the people she actually represents in her own district instead of nationally

at least she wasn't in Cancun , with the cunt cruz

Maybe Dog should answer this.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

8 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Dear Republicans, and Libertarians.  This is what happens when you remove government oversight and accountability from the system in the name of "freedumb" and "capitalism" and the "free market".  You are idiots.

Signed:

Well, the Libertarian answer is that IF customers wanted reliability in bad weather to be part of their utility service, they should have chosen a different provider and paid a fair price for that level of service.

And that would make sense IF the government required utility providers to 1- be honest and 2- compete in an actual fair market open to all (or as many as practical).

The truth of the utilities markets in most states and metro areas is that the government is enforcing a dishonest monopoly. In that regard, the gov't IS the problem... except that the motive of the gov't for doing so is that their cronies in business are making unfair profits. So it's really the voters' fault..............

- DSK

I thought the job of "flyin Ted" Rafael E. Cruz was to raise money for his next election by promising the rich that he will do their bidding in the Senate. The same Senate that he helped try to destroy. 

6 minutes ago, Voyageur said:

I thought the job of "flyin Ted" Rafael E. Cruz was to raise money for his next election by promising the rich that he will do their bidding in the Senate. The same Senate that he helped try to destroy. 

There is a mighty gulf between what the Constitution demands and what the critters actually do.

16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, the Libertarian answer is that IF customers wanted reliability in bad weather to be part of their utility service, they should have chosen a different provider and paid a fair price for that level of service.

And that would make sense IF the government required utility providers to 1- be honest and 2- compete in an actual fair market open to all (or as many as practical).

The truth of the utilities markets in most states and metro areas is that the government is enforcing a dishonest monopoly. In that regard, the gov't IS the problem... except that the motive of the gov't for doing so is that their cronies in business are making unfair profits. So it's really the voters' fault..............

- DSK

Except the libertarian / free market / capitalism model without oversight results in ONE supplier in the end.  Which results in a monopoly, no choice, and no market control of abuses by corporations.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

First, the optics are bad for a reason. For Cruz to show the benefits of privilege while his voters were suffering shows a lack of compassion and arrogance. In that sense, Cruz wasn't doing his job for the GOP or for Republicans of Texas. Its not compassionate Conservatism when you are jetting off to a beach and those who vote for you are freezing to death.

Second, Cruz's insensitivity and poor leadership skills speak to moral failings which underpin so many Republican actions & statements of late: restricting voting, reducing access to healthcare, tax cuts for the wealthy, turning a blind eye to pollution which adversely affects the poorest in their states.

As far as what could be done by a Senator during their state's time of crisis? Well, he is supposedly one of Texas' main intermediaries between his home state and the federal government. For him to abdicate all responsibility when they need him the most does both the federal government and the state a disservice. Its his job to understand and communicate with both federal and state agencies to ensure that the response to those in need are efficient and any SNAFUs are addressed in a timely fashion. Perhaps state or local agencies don't know how to access federal resources: they might call the Senator's office and receive assistance, perhaps buttressed by a call from Cruz himself.

When asked at a presidential town hall how to get a vaccine, Biden told a woman that it was up to the individual states to determine who gets them and through what process, but then told her to hang on after the meeting and someone from his staff might help her get in touch with the right people. That's how a leader handles problems: clearly, directly and compassionately. 

It's the Senator's job to make himself useful. His abdication of responsibility and your apparent willingness to encourage it is everything wrong with the GOP: they believe and enforce the idea that the government is the problem. Really, it's just the GOP that is the problem.

Yeah, but if Democrats were in power...... Oh... It's only been 3 weeks? Well! The Democrats are obviously fucking up all the good work that Trump, McConnell and the cabinet secretaries have been doing for the last 4 years!

49 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Years ago when Arnold Shwarz was Gov of California I lived there and SoCal got NUKED by wild fires.  Evacuations as the fires came down from the foothills all the way from San Diego to Camarillo.   Residents of a Long Term Care facility were evacuated to a school sports field, as I recall.  The Gov was in a helicopter checking out the devastation and saw them and landed.  He talked to the people on the ground and made some calls and then took off to continue checking out the damage.  He flew over the field again an hour later to make sure the long term care residents had been moved to a proper shelter.  That's leadership.

And I remember thinking what a disaster Arnie was going to be because he aligned himself with a bunch of social conservatives' shit to try to get leverage in the legislature.  However, when the people at that ltc talked about how a chopper landed and the Gov stepped out asking what they needed, it showed he was a leader, at least, even if I didn't like his politics. 

But @Dog would have us believe that poor Cruz is as helpless as the rest in Texas and has no ability what so ever to make calls, coordinate resources, pressure people that are fucking up, etc.   I mean, Cruz is a US Senator, it's not like he can work with FEDERAL agencies like FEMA during a national emergency that affects his state.

Too funny.

so my eldest brother, who is a moron, has been playing soldier with his moron friends in the deserts of texas for the last year preparing for the collapse of civilization if biden won (lol). they were burying food and ammo stashes out in the desert, running drills, crazy stuff 

this included getting a cb license so he could be their lifeline to other groups of white idiots when the cell towers all went offline. wouldn't want to violate federal law while communicating with your resistance groups after the fall of the federal government i guess. 

anyways, you would assume given that they've been prepping for the end of the world for at least a year they're well situated to ride out the rolling blackouts right? 

wellll 

their plan for cooking and heating during an extended power outage was natural gas, but like a lot of homes their gas service is out. the food in their freezer and fridge is already toast due to the power outrages, so they're down to canned stuff, but there's a catch. 

they can get into the pull top cans just fine, but the ones that require an opener? their only can opener is electric. so a good 3/4 of his canned food store is inaccessible to him unless he goes after it with a knife, which i sincerely hope he does. 

so captain survival was eating unheated ravioli out of a can yesterday because i guess he doesn't know how to start a fire? they have a fire pit but it too is gas fired. 

he told my mom they're probably going to break into the survival buckets soon. i'm sure that's great food. 

he told my mom that the blackout is due to texas switching everything to "wind power" but that he didn't discount that the government was doing this on purpose. if you can figure out why they'd arbitrarily freeze out a giant state hey points to you. 

the saving grace in all this is he's having to ration his phone usage so he can't sit on the phone with my mom for hours crying about it. he's forced to sit there and talk to his wife, who is almost as dumb as he is. 

presumably he's sitting there shivering, ranting about libs while he sucks down cold beefaroni. what a life. 

he's tried contacting his best friend in his little larping group, but he's gone to ground. i sincerely hope that means he thinks this is the start of the great purge or whatever and he's disappeared to the mountains to evade fema and child support bailiffs 

i'm trying to get more details from my mom but i have to play it cool. if i laugh she'll stop telling me about it, so i have to pretend this is very serious and i'm concerned for his safety while i'm imagining him hitting a can of baked beans with a screwdriver repeatedly 

on the plus side they've got plenty of guns and ammo, so they can shoot the shit out of the snow. 

locking two people with marital strife in a house with no supplies, no access to power, but plenty of access to guns and ammo seems like a great idea. i think this should work out great. 

just to give you all some additional comfort: his wife is part of the group who helps select the textbooks texas buys every year, just in case you're wondering about the kind of people that make those decisions. 

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/19/2016904/-Abbreviated-Pundit-Roundup-No-one-likes-Ted-Cruz-blizzard-edition#comment_80314235 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Too funny.

so my eldest brother, who is a moron, has been playing soldier with his moron friends in the deserts of texas for the last year preparing for the collapse of civilization if biden won (lol). they were burying food and ammo stashes out in the desert, running drills, crazy stuff 

this included getting a cb license so he could be their lifeline to other groups of white idiots when the cell towers all went offline. wouldn't want to violate federal law while communicating with your resistance groups after the fall of the federal government i guess. 

anyways, you would assume given that they've been prepping for the end of the world for at least a year they're well situated to ride out the rolling blackouts right? 

wellll 

their plan for cooking and heating during an extended power outage was natural gas, but like a lot of homes their gas service is out. the food in their freezer and fridge is already toast due to the power outrages, so they're down to canned stuff, but there's a catch. 

they can get into the pull top cans just fine, but the ones that require an opener? their only can opener is electric. so a good 3/4 of his canned food store is inaccessible to him unless he goes after it with a knife, which i sincerely hope he does. 

so captain survival was eating unheated ravioli out of a can yesterday because i guess he doesn't know how to start a fire? they have a fire pit but it too is gas fired. 

he told my mom they're probably going to break into the survival buckets soon. i'm sure that's great food. 

he told my mom that the blackout is due to texas switching everything to "wind power" but that he didn't discount that the government was doing this on purpose. if you can figure out why they'd arbitrarily freeze out a giant state hey points to you. 

the saving grace in all this is he's having to ration his phone usage so he can't sit on the phone with my mom for hours crying about it. he's forced to sit there and talk to his wife, who is almost as dumb as he is. 

presumably he's sitting there shivering, ranting about libs while he sucks down cold beefaroni. what a life. 

he's tried contacting his best friend in his little larping group, but he's gone to ground. i sincerely hope that means he thinks this is the start of the great purge or whatever and he's disappeared to the mountains to evade fema and child support bailiffs 

i'm trying to get more details from my mom but i have to play it cool. if i laugh she'll stop telling me about it, so i have to pretend this is very serious and i'm concerned for his safety while i'm imagining him hitting a can of baked beans with a screwdriver repeatedly 

on the plus side they've got plenty of guns and ammo, so they can shoot the shit out of the snow. 

locking two people with marital strife in a house with no supplies, no access to power, but plenty of access to guns and ammo seems like a great idea. i think this should work out great. 

just to give you all some additional comfort: his wife is part of the group who helps select the textbooks texas buys every year, just in case you're wondering about the kind of people that make those decisions. 

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/19/2016904/-Abbreviated-Pundit-Roundup-No-one-likes-Ted-Cruz-blizzard-edition#comment_80314235 

An electric can opener for the apocalypse?  And a supposed prepper?  Sheesh. 

4 hours ago, Dog said:

It's not temperature it's latitude. Speaking of which can anyone explain why  the panels in the Sweden an Norway pictures are so flat and sloped in opposite directions? Are they designed for use only in summer?

Usually fixed mounts versus rotating mounts. The rotating mounts will sometimes follow a tracking program, or other times just rotate to optimize the current. If the sun is overhead, but low on the horizon, sometimes that configuration will eke a bit more power out of the array by preventing reflection or sometimes capturing a bit of surface skip. High latitude arrays are mainly designed for the summer, but they do produce power in the winter, even when covered with a bit of snow. Not much power, but it's essentially "free power" because the ROI is often computed for 6 or 8 months out of the year.

For example, we just had about six inches of dry powder here yesterday, out of 6 kW on my roof, 3 kW on the south-slope of my roof is about 1/3 melted, the 3 kW on the north-slope of my roof is fully covered. It's not yet 9 am, and the array is outputting about 200 watts, very little. By 1 pm, with a little more melt, it will his about 1 kW. Not much, but not bad, given that that they were costed to produce no power at all in the winter, just to keep the bookkeeping easier.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Except the libertarian / free market / capitalism model without oversight results in ONE supplier in the end.  Which results in a monopoly, no choice, and no market control of abuses by corporations.

Therein lies the whole tale.

Socialism has failed every time it's been tried! Well, yeah, not really, and it has not failed as hard with as big a crash as libertarianism has, EVERY time. And the greater number of people are not as fucking miserable.

- DSK

11 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Your bother must be an old-timer. The FCC stopped requiring licensing for Citizen's Band many years ago, and they haven't renewed old licenses since. As long as you're in the USA and you don't represent a foreign government, you can use your standard-wattage, un-boosted CB radio with no license.

Unfortunately, it's not as much fun as it used to be, the truckers have shifted to cell-phones and wireless internet voice. What once was an on-air party when I was a kid, is now populated by mostly radio preachers, speaking all day about the need of all those within reception range to worship Christ, to make Christ part of their lives, to follow Christ, to ask Christ for forgiveness, and a bunch of other Christ-related broadcasting.

Every now and then, a trucker will pop in and say "fuck you, preacher man." But then they just keep droning like a cheap lawnmower at 7:00 am on a July morning from somewhere a couple blocks over.

The glory days of CB are behind us, and they might be in front of us, but they are definitely not here now.

badlatitude's most excellent tale reminded me of my happy hour conversation with my neighbors in the garage yesterday. Two points of data:

1. Power in Texas is out because it's freezing. 

2. Everything in the fridge is spoiled because the power is out. 

Does nobody in Texas have a functioning brain cell that because of point #1, you don't need to have point #2 happening if you move the contents of your fridge... like outside? Or the garage? The little terrace on the outside of your apartment? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

You're an idiot. Nobody joins DSA to become part of the oligarchy. 

And she was re-elected with over 71 percent of the vote. 

Stop watching FAUX - they lie. 

52 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

No - it results in 5 power companies stringing wire all over the city and NONE in the country where it is a losing proposition to run 5 miles of wire for one house. Before the New Deal and rural electrification rural areas had no electricity they did not make themselves. 32 volt appliances, 32 volt light bulbs, 32 volt gasoline generators, 32 volt batteries, and 32 volt wind generators were a thing back then on farms. You can still find some of that stuff on FleaBay.

24 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Therein lies the whole tale.

Socialism has failed every time it's been tried! Well, yeah, not really, and it has not failed as hard with as big a crash as libertarianism has, EVERY time. And the greater number of people are not as fucking miserable.

- DSK

I wish I had some failing socialism today:

IMG_9867.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

2 hours ago, Dog said:

If only we could somehow turn dogshit into energy. 

16 minutes ago, gptyk said:

badlatitude's most excellent tale reminded me of my happy hour conversation with my neighbors in the garage yesterday. Two points of data:

Does nobody in Texas have a functioning brain cell that because of point #1, you don't need to have point #2 happening if you move the contents of your fridge... like outside? Or the garage? The little terrace on the outside of your apartment? 

3: Because the power is out, pipes are bursting.

4. Because pipes are bursting, there is no water pressure.

5. Because there is no water pressure the water is out and there is a Boil Water Notice in place.

How the hell are you supposed to boil water that you don't have with a stove that doesn't work?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

No - it results in 5 power companies stringing wire all over the city and NONE in the country where it is a losing proposition to run 5 miles of wire for one house. Before the New Deal and rural electrification rural areas had no electricity they did not make themselves. 32 volt appliances, 32 volt light bulbs, 32 volt gasoline generators, 32 volt batteries, and 32 volt wind generators were a thing back then on farms. You can still find some of that stuff on FleaBay.

That's the danger we have in front of us now, with all of these Americans addicted to daily and weekly Amazon ordering like a digital teat.

Amazon has commandeered the United States Postal Service, thanks to the desires of a hundred-some million Americans who think nothing of ordering a jar of mustard on their Prime account. And at this rate, when the USPS can no longer resist the tide of privatization, and our public property is cut apart and sold off to mainly Amazon and a few shell companies, the "losing proposition" of delivering mail to one a couple homes on the other side of a National Forest will become so insurmountable, that this will be the end, my friend, of the USPS as we have known it.

We'll be able to buy a light-up HDMI cable that looks like it fell out of Bozo The Clown's ass, and have it the same day we click the button, but public mail, as we have known it, will be dead.

19 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

No, that's where it starts.  Later, the biggest one by the smallest, making it even bigger.  And so on, and so on, until one company owns them all.  Yessss my precious.  One ring to rule them all.

You can see the pattern of consolidation in every market.  T-mobile/Sprint.  Etc.  Then it goes to far, and government jumps in with both feet screaming MONOPOLY.  ANTI TRUST.  BLAH BLAH BLAH.  Of course, they could have just regulated it to prevent it from reaching that state.  But they don't.

The same dynamic happens on a global scale, except where intelligent governments have guards in place.  Like China's restriction on the amount of foreign ownership on a company.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:34 PM, Ishmael said:

Exacerbating and prolonging this sticker shock is a decision on Tuesday by the state’s Power Utility Commission, which regulates the nonprofit ERCOT’s operations. The order from the gubernatorially appointed PUC asserted that, even with a hike coinciding with cold weather and increased heating use, ERCOT had been undercharging consumers for the cost of energy and directed it to raise its rates.

So the state agency won't let them charge enough to maintain the system?

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

Signed:

The state agency won't let them charge enough to maintain the system and you think that's "libertarian?" You are an idiot.

54 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Too funny.

wellll 

Sounds like you might want to send him a P-38 for his birthday.... Just to rub it in a little bit.

image.png.55109c8330b16f4f82903c1946aca17e.png

2 minutes ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

The state agency won't let them charge enough to maintain the system and you think that's "libertarian?" You are an idiot.

So you thing Texas power companies would do the right thing but the Texas state government stopped them?

:lol::lol::lol:

Spinning reserve is expensive and a money-losing proposition. No one that wants to stay in business would EVER stand up reserves that will cost them money 99.9% of the time at best. The only way you will see enough spinning reserve is if there is a law that you have to have it. Texas took great pains to make sure such federal oppression never put its heavy boot on the neck of freedom loving Texas power plant owners. They are now free to freeze and starve.

• Like 2

If the fridge isn't running due to power outage and it's cold out you put your stuff in a trash bag and put it outside.

If your house is getting down in the 30s inside you leave your water running a trickle. Or turn off the main and drain your pipes. If in an apartment, leave your trickling and tell upstairs neighbors to do the same. 

47 minutes ago, gptyk said:

That struck me, too. WTF is wrong with people's brains down there? Besides believing Repugnicans, I mean.

Borrowed:
Just to be clear.
In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States.
Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden for an emergency declaration because their private electrical grid failed.
Several years ago, Cruz voted against federal relief for New England states affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Last year during rolling blackouts in California, Cruz and several other Texas Republicans shredded California Democrats for supposedly being at fault for the outages.
Texas, a red state, did not go for Biden.
Biden granted the emergency declaration without making fun of Texas, without bringing up the secession bill, without pointing out all the shit Cruz has said about him, and without criticizing the state’s decision to get off the national grid to evade federal regulations. 
He just did it. Because Texans are Americans, too. And they’re hurting, and need relief.
Just to be clear...

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

That struck me, too. WTF is wrong with people's brains down there? Besides believing Repugnicans, I mean.

God bless texas (with a small "t") 

Aruba, Jamaica, Ted Cruz ain't gonna take ya

Bermuda, Bahama, just freeze or ask Obama

Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't HE go

Oh Ted won't take you down to Cancun, Mexico,

HE'LL GET THERE FAST, you'll have no water flow

That's where Ted wanna go, while you're covered in snow

Euf-QusVkAER0Br.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.52.11 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.52.28 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.52.43 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.52.59 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.53.19 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.53.30 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.54.07 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.54.24 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.54.36 AM.jpg

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

Since kent already responded to your little gem, I'll just add this:

The Commission believes this outcome is inconsistent with the fundamental design of the ERCOT market. Energy prices should reflect scarcity of the supply

Read that a couple times.  "We don't build enough capacity, so we should be able to charge more."  Yeah.  Thanks for that.

Regulate the fuckers.

update on the boat.....

Ok, which one of you f'ing anarchists put a freezer under my boat?

All the boats along this breakwater dock have at least 6" free water except mine and 1 each side at the end of the dock.  The one at the end is fully encased but not showing any compression. The other side of me has 2" free water around its beams.

Mine?     areas broken yesterday afternoon refroze to 1 1/2" inches.   Broke it up again at 8am this morning. some areas got to 3" thick. Supposed to get to 35 this afternoon and 20 tonight.

Threw my shoulder out a bit this time. Bugger.

74542172_day3.thumb.jpg.c77f4ac5477dae3f0f637c53fe0c5295.jpg

1 hour ago, Remodel said:

5. Because there is no water pressure the water is out and there is a Boil Water Notice in place.

How the hell are you supposed to boil water that you don't have with a stove that doesn't work?

Similar to our mayor who was complaining that, because people were dripping faucets to prevent freezing, water consumption was us 3x. So stop dripping faucets because I found a plumber to say so.  Even though it will be 4 degrees tonight.. 

1 hour ago, Remodel said:

and its going to get a whole lot worse.

Almost everybody I have spoken to has had a break, usually at least 3 or 4 - those that have water anyway.

Those that dont have water (like us) wont have our issues until it warms a bit. They will struggle to maintain much pressure with so many leaks, and then as breaks are fixed, more breaks will appear as pressure slowly gets back to normal. 

2 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

Is that your outboard on the mount in the lowered position?   I might be concerned about water freezing in it.  

yeah - it was a tough choice. I decided to leave it down so it could be an anchor in the ice, rather than the rudder being stressed.

Plus i wasnt sure which would be worse.... having the lower end in ice at 30f ish, or air exposed to 1f.

I guess i will know in a couple of days.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

and its going to get a whole lot worse.

Almost everybody I have spoken to has had a break, usually at least 3 or 4 - those that have water anyway.

Those that dont have water (like us) wont have our issues until it warms a bit. They will struggle to maintain much pressure with so many leaks, and then as breaks are fixed, more breaks will appear as pressure slowly gets back to normal. 

Hang in there!

And Trump recvd 75 million votes.   It only goes to prove there are 75 million idiots.
75,000,001 including you .

Try doing a bit of homework now and again . . 

What do you know about DSA ?  

All you seem to have is Rush L. & FAUX talking points . . 

What are you going to do now that the former is "late"? 

1 minute ago, Remodel said:

Hang in there!

thanks - we will. We are relatively lucky. We dont have the food issues up here that Houston / San Antonio has.  We didn't have to line up for 4 hours to get hot food from burger king like people down south who didn't have much other choice.

Stocked up on a weeks worth of protein - went to a supermarket in an area that hadn't been hit hard by power outages, and although no water / milk / bread etc, there was plenty of meats.

7 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Plus i wasnt sure which would be worse.... having the lower end in ice at 30f ish, or air exposed to 1f.

OK.   Just for reference, here in Canada we  routinely store outboards at 1 F (and much, much colder : -30 F would be considered cold).  I have always believed the best protection is to get all the water out so there is nothing to freeze.  I get the engine up out of the water to dry out before the really cold weather sets in.  I also I check the lower unit for any water ingress and change the oil in case there is some water in the oil.  

Keep an eye on your water flow the first time you start that engine.   Best wishes and stay safe!  

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

marina_frozen_day_3_low_res.png

Back when we had ice in the winter some people left boats out on moorings and they seemed to get frozen in with no obvious damage. Ice that isn't moving in a current doesn't really seem to squeeze boats very much. What I would worry about is a lot of wind plus NOT being frozen in tight, then the boat might be getting repeatedly bashed into the ice. BTW, the outboard in the ice is not a good idea.

About 200nm from the North Pole at midnight in late March.  Our facilities being put to use.  Spent five weeks there; most fun I ever had.  The thermometer to my right was reading -40 (same for F and C).  We knew what we were getting into and were well prepared.  

I'm feeling for you guys.  When we winterized cottages, it included RV antifreeze in the toilets after trying to remove as much water as possible.  Also drained the lines by finding the lowest level one, very simple plumbing.  Good luck and stay safe.

image.png.dcb91eb9940f0d2aa5e82cf2664c11d0.png

1 minute ago, Bugsy said:

OK.   Just for reference, here in Canada we  routinely store outboards at 1 F (and much, much colder : -30 F would be considered cold).  I have always believed the best protection is to get all the water out so there is nothing to freeze.  I get the engine up out of the water to dry out before the really cold weather sets in.  I also I check the lower unit for any water ingress and change the oil in case there is some water in the oil.  

Keep an eye on your water flow the first time you start that engine.   Best wishes and stay safe!  

Yup. Outboards "self-winterize", they drain when tilted up. Some years I have my dinghy in all year so I can go out and get photos of winter birds, the outboard survived temps well below freezing just by being tilted up. What put me off the year-round dinghy thing was rain and snow that froze inside the dinghy and was a HUGE PITA to get out.

Why do people buy milk, eggs, and bread when there's a likely power outage? Gonna eat French toast for the second time in their lives? But wait! The electric stove won't work, so they can't make french toast. The fridge is dead, so the milk is going to sour. Raw egg sandwich on white bread? Sounds iffy at best. I think I'd buy a nice sopresso sausage, a block of cheddar, a box of stoned wheat thins, and a case of beer.

4 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Back when we had ice in the winter some people left boats out on moorings and they seemed to get frozen in with no obvious damage. Ice that isn't moving in a current doesn't really seem to squeeze boats very much. What I would worry about is a lot of wind plus NOT being frozen in tight, then the boat might be getting repeatedly bashed into the ice. BTW, the outboard in the ice is not a good idea.

agreed. Prevailing winds are from the stern or port side. The crush started on the port side,  so i left ice in place at the stern and bow to stop the boat moving until that ice melts. I aslo have slop in the rudder so wanted to avoid pressure on the rudder. The rudder is proud of the water by about 1/2 inch, so it currently has about 4 inches of ice in that area. I would rather lose the motor (which cost me nothing) than exacerbate rudder wear.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

If your house is getting down in the 30s inside you leave your water running a trickle. Or turn off the main and drain your pipes. If in an apartment, leave your trickling and tell upstairs neighbors to do the same. 

But my upstairs neighbor took off to Cancun.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Why do people buy milk, eggs, and bread when there's a likely power outage? Gonna eat French toast for the second time in their lives? But wait! The electric stove won't work, so they can't make french toast. The fridge is dead, so the milk is going to sour. Raw egg sandwich on white bread? Sounds iffy at best. I think I'd buy a nice sopresso sausage, a block of cheddar, a box of stoned wheat thins, and a case of beer.

Way back when we had a very small refrigerator. Around Christmas time we did like everyone else did around there...cram the turkey into a snowbank until you are ready to thaw it. Worked really well until the neighbour took "his" turkey two hours out of town and then had to bring ours back and get his instead. On Christmas eve.

3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Its a good question. Even my wife who has lived in SD for 17 years and well used to putting hot food outside instead of a freezer wasn't really thinking right.

When it is 34f in the apartment you may as well just keep the fridge door open - it doesn't matter. But she was getting ready to move it all out to the patio when i asked how the food was going to warm up in 34f  When / if the power comes on keep it closed, while it takes the apartment 4 hours to get back above 60.

Our fall back position was always the buttery mash and  dinty more on the boat :) .      

5 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

A barn door and horse moment.
“Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tells lawmakers to mandate winterization of power generators”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-gov-greg-abbott-tells-224945035.html

Of course this is far from over.  What going to happen to insurance rates in Texas once insurance companies start paying out billions in home repair costs. And then there are the costs to repair power lines, gas mains, and water supply lines.

But they're free of that evil government interference with their freedumb.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

But they're free of that evil government interference with their freedumb.

Free to be stupid and dead

Ron White, from Texas: “you can’t fix stupid.”

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

Borrowed:
Just to be clear.
In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States.
Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden for an emergency declaration because their private electrical grid failed.
Several years ago, Cruz voted against federal relief for New England states affected by Hurricane Sandy.
Last year during rolling blackouts in California, Cruz and several other Texas Republicans shredded California Democrats for supposedly being at fault for the outages.
Texas, a red state, did not go for Biden.
Biden granted the emergency declaration without making fun of Texas, without bringing up the secession bill, without pointing out all the shit Cruz has said about him, and without criticizing the state’s decision to get off the national grid to evade federal regulations. 
He just did it. Because Texans are Americans, too. And they’re hurting, and need relief.
Just to be clear...

And when this is over they'll trash talk Biden and vote for Republicans.

It's no coincidence that the expression "you can't fix stupid" came from Texas.