Blue, not purple?

• Like 1
  • Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be clear. In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States. Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden f

A Houston furniture store opened its doors as a refuge. Thousands came for help. Feb. 18, 2021, 10:33 a.m. ETFeb. 18, 2021 Feb. 18, 2021 By Christine Hauser  

At least AOC is doing something for people in need. Good for her! You are a person that is throwing rocks at someone that is helping. Really? Have you thought that through? Here in NY we have had a ho

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Thats great.  Maybe some day she can actually do something for the people she actually represents in her own district instead of nationally
showboating everywhere else as a pawn for her string pullers. 

Sure glad she does not showboat in Cancun like your hero-weasel Cruz 

But wait, there's more !!  

As first responders dealt with Texas' statewide power and water crisis, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz's office asked Houston police for a security detail at the airport ahead of his family trip to Cancun, Mexico, the department confirmed on Thursday afternoon.

"The Houston Police Department (HPD) can confirm that a member of Senator Cruz's staff contacted HPD personnel at IAH on Wednesday afternoon, February 17th, and requested assistance upon the Senator's arrival at the airport," Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said in a statement.

6 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Thats great.  Maybe some day she can actually do something for the people she actually represents in her own district instead of nationally

She is a United States Representative in Congress.  What did you do today other than step on your dick?

32 minutes ago, Francisco Laguna said:

ahh!  the jump on Texas jerkoff thread for SA.  I imagine your local CVS is running out of your favorite brand of lube.

ahh, the old pull the socks out of the drawer, huh.

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Sure glad she does not showboat in Cancun like your hero-weasel Cruz 

But wait, there's more !!  

As first responders dealt with Texas' statewide power and water crisis, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz's office asked Houston police for a security detail at the airport ahead of his family trip to Cancun, Mexico, the department confirmed on Thursday afternoon.

"The Houston Police Department (HPD) can confirm that a member of Senator Cruz's staff contacted HPD personnel at IAH on Wednesday afternoon, February 17th, and requested assistance upon the Senator's arrival at the airport," Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said in a statement.

Hero? 
I hope he gets a Mexican Necktie 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Try doing a bit of homework now and again . . 

What do you know about DSA ?  

All you seem to have is Rush L. & FAUX talking points . . 

What are you going to do now that the former is "late"? 

Jump to conclusions much?

don’t watch fox, or msnbc, or listen to fox, hannity  etc. 

but Rudy has a radio talk show on wabc in New York if you want to pick it up on the interweb  

To reiterate, Texas is home to millions of great people, but 

the weasels who run things ???  Not so much. 

Disaster capitalism works its magic . . 

"Obviously, this week is like hitting the jackpot." That's what Roland Burns, president and chief financial officer of Comstock Resources, Inc., a shale drilling company, told investors on an earnings call earlier this week, according to NPR.

The Texas Think Tank Giving Cover for This Week’s Republican Wind Power Lies

Almost exactly a month before Texas plunged into darkness, a panel convened in Austin to host a discussion about the superiority of the Texan electric grid. Called “Keep the Lights and Ventilators On: The Future of Texas’ Grid Reliability,” the panel was part of an annual conference held by the Texas Public Policy Foundation (TPPF), a conservative think tank.

Predictably, much of the panel was spent bashing California and that state’s use of renewables on its grid, which many of the panelists fingered as the cause of blackouts in summer of 2020 (falsely, of course).

“Their politics have driven their policies,” panelist Kelly Hancock, a sitting Texas state senator, said of California. “Right now, renewables are very very popular, and [that’s] not always feasible long-term...We have people moving to Texas [from California] who are tired of having their refrigerator go out at night because the wind isn’t blowing and the sun isn’t shining and they have to buy groceries short-term. They can’t have a freezer in the garage because they don’t know if that freezer’s going to go off and their meat is going to go bad….We [in Texas] are more business-minded and more sober in thought in saying, OK, what do we have to do to make sure the lights stay on?”

Seemingly without an ounce of irony or self-awareness of what its own panel had to say in January, TPPF has pounced on the blackouts this week as a chance to bash renewables. In four separate blog posts published this week, the organization rails against “weather-dependent renewable energy,” accuses lawmakers of undercutting fossil fuels by propping up wind and solar, and claims the blackouts could have been avoided if the state had installed more gas instead of wind. “It’s our hope that these events are a wakeup call to those in power that energy is not just important to our economy, but an integral part of our survival,” executive director Kevin Roberts said in a statement.

There’s lots of right-wing figures that have made noises about the blackouts this week, but TPPF has real influence. Though their name suggests that they’re concentrated in Texas, conservative leaders from across the country–from Florida Gov. Ron deSantis to Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy–have participated in their panels and conversations this year. TPPF is connected to the highest levels of Lone Star politics, and their talking points are being repeated by those politicians to prop up gas and oil interests and continue deregulation despite the dire outcomes we’re seeing this week. 

“It’s so divorced from the data on the ground, it’s pure narrative,” Ben Serrurier, a manager of the carbon-free electricity practice at the Rocky Mountain Institute, said of the posts. “None of it holds up. It’s a fuel tribalism, more than a partisan ideology; they’re beholden to hydrocarbons.”

Looking at the group’s connections and donors, this undying loyalty to fossil fuels isn’t surprising. Even though TPPF has made its home in Texas, it has powerful and longstanding ties to some of the biggest fossil fuel companies and national climate-denial groups of the past few decades, including the Koch Brothers, Exxon, Chevron, and ALEC, a group that has pushed radical right-wing legislation to protect fossil fuel interests in statehouses across the country.

If TPPF is ringing a distant bell somewhere in your Trump-addled political memory, it’s because one of their former fellows was one of the most deranged nominees of the past administration. In the fall of 2017, President Trump nominated Kathleen Hartnett White, then a fellow at TPPF, to serve as the head of the White House Council on Environmental Quality. Her nomination resurfaced a torrent of her absolutely incredible smooth brain theories on science and climate, including the concept that we shouldn’t reduce carbon emissions because carbon dioxide is a “plant food” and her claim that fossil fuels helped end slavery. The White House actually yanked Hartnett White’s nomination following a disastrous hearing where she repeatedly demonstrated her lack of a grasp on science.

She may have been denied a spot in Washington, DC, but Hartnett White’s insistence that fossil fuels are needed to help poor people, actually, has expanded into a major tenet of TPPF. The organization has a whole separate arm, Life:Powered, that exists solely to promote the idea that fossil fuels “advance the human condition.” One of their products includes a truly cringy and tone-deaf video on the necessity of coal for the Navajo Nation, set to stereotypical Indigenous flute music and narrated by an anonymous little girl, who calls a coal plant “a castle with three chimneys” and miners “warriors.” (Notably, major fossil fuel companies like Peabody Energy have also jumped on the bandwagon of propping up their products as a solution to poverty.)

It’s easy to make fun of TPPF for stuff like this, but it’s clear that they have the ear of some very powerful people in Texas and beyond. And, predictably, some of the things these people have said during the state’s power crisis this week have mirrored a lot of the messages the organization has been pushing for years. Gov. Greg Abbott, who repeatedly attacked wind energy this week, was a keynote speaker at TPPF’s January conference. Rep. Dan Crenshaw hosted a luncheon talk at last year’s conference, while Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn have spoken at multiple summits over the past few years. The latter three have also bashed California over its use of renewables in the past using almost the same exact language heard at TPPF’s summit prior to Texas’ blackout. The Wall Street Journal’s editorial board doubled down on attacking wind in two separate and unhinged pieces this week; one of its board member, Kimberly Strassel, gave a keynote breakfast at the 2021 Austin conference.

And what’s frustrating for experts like Serrurier is how organizations like TPPF muck up actual, meaningful conversations on thorny issues like the power grid with their allegiance to fossil fuels. 

“There are interesting conservative viewpoints on power markets and electricity markets,” said Serrurier, who pointed out that former FERC commissioner Neil Chatterjee, a Republican, had criticized the party’s urge to blame wind turbines for the failures in Texas. “Electricity planning, grid planning, power regulation, a lot of these questions require an understanding of physics, and at some point, the rubber has to meet the road in terms of keeping the lights on. That physical grounding has helped anchor the [electric grid] community by and large around reality.”

But there are fossil fuel interests that want to eschew nuanced discussions in favor bad faith ones as a means to preserve market share. TPPF traffics in that bad faith, but with a veneer of think tank respectability. That in turn gives cover for politicians and other leaders to repeat them. That keeps the status quo entrenched, and stops meaningful, desperately needed reforms to the electric grid and energy system from going through, let alone being discussed. 

“What has frustrated me so much about this event is what I consider one of the last bastions of fact-based technocratic governance,” he said, referring to the electric grid, “is being corrupted by a whole bunch of partisan bullshit and culture war stuff. We have problems around climate change, equity and justice, problems around keeping cost down for consumers, problems around the reliability of our system. These aren’t new problems necessarily and they are political, they’re about power and money, but they are the set of complexities that we have to deal with. We can deal with them, they’re not insurmountable problems. But it requires a grounding in reality.” 

Total dick move...

When Sen. Ted Cruz and his wife, Heidi, jetted off to Cancun they grabbed their kids, and even thought to invite neighbors -- but left their little dog home alone in "freezing" conditions. Poor Snowflake. While the fam's soaking up the rays, the pooch was left to fend for itself ... according to a New York Magazine reporter who snapped this shot of Snowflake all alone in the Houston home Heidi herself said they desperately needed to escape.

There was a security guard in the driveway who reportedly said he was taking care of Snowflake -- but remember, the Cruz house has NO heat, just like millions of other Texans who are riding out the brutal winter storm.

f8f97748a73a4e668a4b64ac65a0de7d_md.jpg

We could forgive motherfuckers from friezing on your watch.  All the respect you're given as you deserve.

8 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

In other words, know her place.:rolleyes:

They are waiting for you on the latest Kamala Harris thread.

1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

Jump to conclusions much?

don’t watch fox, or msnbc, or listen to fox, hannity  etc. 

but Rudy has a radio talk show on wabc in New York if you want to pick it up on the interweb  

That’s over on my radio garner thread on the third floor of SA 

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

So that warning was given in 2011. Gov Rick Perry punted, ran for POTUS, failed, elected Gov again, ran for POTUS again, failed again and was rewarded with the Sec. of that dept he couldn't remember the name of.

YCMTSU, well except for Texas where you can and it does.

Don't forget, Sec.Perry did not actually know what DoE actually did, although he was against it before he was Secretary of it.

- DSK

my neighbor owes me a beer.

my boat is free, but will ice again a bit tonight. but should be an inch or less refreeze.

Mine is an Irwin 30, one neighbor a catalina 30, and this one (photos) is a mariner 28.

Due to prevailing weather, melt and stuff, all three boats had a stern 'beard'? of ice.

All boats had a reasonable amount of snow weight holding them down, snow melted today and boats lifted about an inch .T hen some wind came along and they started slamming up and down on top of the 'beard', which is mostly about 3 inches wide and about 3 inches high on top of an existing 2  - 3" lake ice.

1334886210_rstern1.thumb.jpg.3f0abafdbbef8ddaa15528e382ac3d9b.jpg

Not a pleasant sound.

image.png.ee2182bc8135b13f8165f708ee2a818e.png

the top of the beard found a weak spot. Just looks like gel at this stage but in an case i broke up what i could around his stern, and off his rudder.

got my workout done for the day.

my neighbor owes me a beer.

my boat is free, but will ice again a bit tonight. but should be an inch or less refreeze.

Mine is an Irwin 30, one neighbor a catalina 30, and this one (photos) is a mariner 28.

Due to prevailing weather, melt and stuff, all three boats had a stern 'beard'? of ice.

All boats had a reasonable amount of snow weight doling them down, snow melted today and boats lifted a little.Then some wind came along and they started slamming up and down on top of the 'beard', which is mostly about 3 inches wide and about 3 inches high on top of an existing 2  - 3" lake ice.

1334886210_rstern1.thumb.jpg.3f0abafdbbef8ddaa15528e382ac3d9b.jpg

Not a pleasant sound.

image.png.ee2182bc8135b13f8165f708ee2a818e.png

the top of the beard found a weak spot. Just looks like gel at this stage but in an case i broke up what i could around his stern, and off his rudder.

got my workout done for the day.

beard2.thumb.jpg.a0efe8210b9b72b3fecc4ba6b8a6d041.jpg

Edited by dfw_sailor
typo
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

In other words, know her place.:rolleyes:

They are waiting for you on the latest Kamala Harris thread.

For some reason any women on Team D that achieve any kind of power or recognition earn an astounding amount of utter hatred from the elk.

Ms. Ocasio-Cortez: Hey Texas, here's $2,000,000

Mr. Cruz - Fuck you all, I am going to Mexico where it's warm

Pick the bad person :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

For some reason any women on Team D that achieve any kind of power or recognition earn an astounding amount of utter hatred from the elk.

Ms. Ocasio-Cortez: Hey Texas, here's $2,000,000

Mr. Cruz - Fuck you all, I am going to Mexico where it's warm

Pick the bad person :rolleyes:

Its obviously OC. She should know it isn't her place to do stuff like that. 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Doing Ted Cruz’s Job To Provide Texas Storm Aid

The New York congresswoman helped raise $2 million in relief for Texans and is heading to the state to dispense supplies after the GOP senator went to Cancun.
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Doing Ted Cruz’s Job To Provide Texas Storm Aid

The New York congresswoman helped raise $2 million in relief for Texans and is heading to the state to dispense supplies after the GOP senator went to Cancun.

I get that her intention may be good, but there are homeless people in NY State who need her help and would love to have half of what the people of Texas have ... they often don't even have shelter, let alone heat and water. Since COVID started, and their access to bathrooms has been taken away, many of them have been living an undiluted version of the people in Texas for coming up on a year now.

Her focus should be on NY, not TX.

6 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I get that her intention may be good, but there are homeless people in NY State who need her help and would love to have half of what the people of Texas have ... they often don't even have shelter, let alone heat and water. Since COVID started, and their access to bathrooms has been taken away, many of them have been living an undiluted version of the people in Texas for coming up on a year now.

Your assumption that she has no attention paid to NY is wrong.  She would love to generate this kind of enthusiasm for the homeless there but she is a savvy marketer and sees an opportunity to take advantage of a big news item.   I can't fault her for doing good where she can.

• Like 2
On 2/17/2021 at 9:01 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

So, his 'wording' was problematic but apparently his thinking was just fine. Actually this guy is at least honest in his thinking, that people need to be independent and that government is not responsible for stuff. Some people on PA have expressed similar thoughts although their wording can be an issue.

His thinking was not "just fine". The very first priority and highest responsibility of any government, be it local, state, or national, is the safety and welfare of its people.

22 minutes ago, mikewof said:

maybe Ted will take the hint and help NYER'S , Oh he can't help a Blue state, I think that's more the point, 

She is a U.S. Representative for all of the USA , 

I guess Ted didn't take the same oath.

20 minutes ago, mikewof said:

At least AOC is doing something for people in need. Good for her! You are a person that is throwing rocks at someone that is helping. Really? Have you thought that through? Here in NY we have had a homeless problem for a very long time, before AOC was even born. AOC is not the problem that is causing homelessness it is our capitalism, or rather the particular way we practice capitalism... winner take all. Why not throw your stones at the 3 Americans that own more wealth than 50% of the US population? Those 3 rich dudes could easily solve the homeless problem. 

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, FD Fanatic said:

At least AOC is doing something for people in need. Good for her! You are a person that is throwing rocks at someone that is helping. Really? Have you thought that through? Here in NY we have had a homeless problem for a very long time, before AOC was even born. AOC is not the problem that is causing homelessness it is our capitalism, or rather the particular way we practice capitalism... winner take all. Why not throw your stones at the 3 Americans that own more wealth than 50% of the US population? Those 3 rich dudes could easily solve the homeless problem. 

Strong post for a Newbie.

16 minutes ago, FD Fanatic said:

Well, I dunno if they could really SOLVE it for good and forever, but they could sure improve the situation tremendously.

And I'd also like to second Teener's point: the assumption that AOC is doing nothing for NYers is incorrect.

- DSK

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Teener said:

Your assumption that she has no attention paid to NY is wrong.  She would love to generate this kind of enthusiasm for the homeless there but she is a savvy marketer and sees an opportunity to take advantage of a big news item.   I can't fault her for doing good where she can.

She could have done good by not working against Amazon bringing 20,000 new jobs to Queens 

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

She was voted in to the US House of Representatives, to represent her constituents, and to serve ALL THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

52 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

She could have done good by not working against Amazon bringing 20,000 new jobs to Queens 

If Amazon had been willing to commit to living wage and decent benefits to it's employees, she would have been in favor of it.

Being against putting her constituents into sweatshop work is a plus in my book

- DSK

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

She was voted in to the US House of Representatives, to represent her constituents, and to serve ALL THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Be that as it may with her national ambitions, her constituency is New York. There are homeless people in New York who don't have half of what those folks in Texas have.

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Your butthurt is noted.

Not my butthurt, but your callousness is noted.

Now, my friend who is homeless in NYC? He has butthurt, because he has nowhere to take a shit, since the restaurants have closed their bathrooms, and the public libraries have closed and the public gyms have closed, all due to COVID. So the butthurt is his, literally, since he has nowhere to shower or clean his ass.

3 hours ago, FD Fanatic said:

She is helping, and that's great. But certainly she is smart enough to say to herself "hey, a couple hundred thousand  of people in my state are fully miserable, maybe I should raise some money for them in honor of the people in Texas who have tasted the suffering of these homeless people."

Those people were homeless before? Okay, no argument. But if she could raise millions to help Texans, she could raise millions to help homeless in NYC, they have been living in Texas-like conditions for almost a year now.

7 minutes ago, mikewof said:

She is helping, and that's great. But certainly she is smart enough to say to herself "hey, a couple hundred thousand  of people in my state are fully miserable, maybe I should raise some money for them in honor of the people in Texas who have tasted the suffering of these homeless people."

I would like to see her lobby for a rational approach on treating mental illness at the national level.  Undo Regan-era cuts.  Most homeless are on the streets due to mental issues, not because they have nowhere to go.  A few million dollars won't solve the problems in her district.  It's not a very sexy hill to try to take but would serve the country well.  

3 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

maybe Ted will take the hint and help NYER'S , Oh he can't help a Blue state, I think that's more the point, 

She is a U.S. Representative for all of the USA , 

I guess Ted didn't take the same oath.

Where did you get this?

She's represents Queens and The Bronx, New York 14, I believe. In what way does she represent "all of the USA"? Her job is defined by Article 1 of the U.S. Constitution, and the limit of her representation is what is specifically enabled within, per the Tenth Amendment. So do tell, what law or or Court decision defines her Representation as "all of the USA"?

It's not that I doubt you, but yeah, I doubt you.

6 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I would like to see her lobby for a rational approach on treating mental illness at the national level.  Undo Regan-era cuts.  Most homeless are on the streets due to mental issues, not because they have nowhere to go.  A few million dollars won't solve the problems in her district.  It's not a very sexy hill to try to take but would serve the country well.  

Agree, very necessary. But shouldn't we now also realize that mental illness and addiction are almost always co-occurring disorders and people should be treated for their co-occurring disorders rather than thrown into prison?

9 hours ago, hasher said:

She is a United States Representative in Congress.  What did you do today other than step on your dick?

He'd have to have one to do that.

3 hours ago, Teener said:

Yes, she's savvy. And you're right, I can't really blame her. But do we really have to jump from the frying pan and into the fire with this shit? All these politicians with national ambitions ... what's wrong with politicians who do the job for which they were hired and do that job well, and impress us not through their savvy marketing, but through their attention to detail, to their responsibilities with public trust?

Is that what the people of the USA have become? A bunch of celebrity-struck gigglers who can't vote for someone who isn't famous or corrosive or risk-taking? I get, a race car driver should take risks, an actor should take risks, maybe even a commodities investor should take risk? But there are jobs where the employees should not take unnecessary risks, like people engaged in the public trust; insurance underwriters for instance, natural gas regulators, Senators, Congressional Representatives, public health regulators? Nuclear energy inspectors, food and drug inspectors. These are people who should define their job by how much value they can bring to the people who pay their salaries, not the consumers of popular culture and supermarket checkout line magazines.

30 minutes ago, woodtick said:

Please post a link to some, or Any republican solution for this. 

I wish I could, there is certainly an opportunity there, but the handful of Republicans in NYC barely give a shit about homelessness. Claudia Tenney has already shown tat she's more than happy to politicize things like school shootings, by blaming it on "democrats" so why would she give a shit about homeless people in her district?

There are some faith-based initiatives in NYC for homelessness, but most of the work is done by democratic-run efforts. Obviously it's not enough though.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

I wish I could, there is certainly an opportunity there, but the handful of Republicans in NYC barely give a shit about homelessness. Claudia Tenney has already shown tat she's more than happy to politicize things like school shootings, by blaming it on "democrats" so why would she give a shit about homeless people in her district?

There are some faith-based initiatives in NYC for homelessness, but most of the work is done by democratic-run efforts. Obviously it's not enough though.

So what would you do differently Mike?

50 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Where did you get this?

She's represents Queens and The Bronx, New York 14, I believe. In what way does she represent "all of the USA"? Her job is defined by Article 1 of the U.S. Constitution, and the limit of her representation is what is specifically enabled within, per the Tenth Amendment. So do tell, what law or or Court decision defines her Representation as "all of the USA"?

It's not that I doubt you, but yeah, I doubt you.

She and other representatives are responsible for making up laws that effect the whole United States , not just his or her district, 

so she doesn't make laws for NYC or NY state but the entire country,

We the People of the United States…

As per the Constitution, the U.S. House of Representatives makes and passes federal laws. The House is one of Congress’s two chambers (the other is the U.S. Senate), and part of the federal government’s legislative branch. The number of voting representatives in the House is fixed by law at no more than 435, proportionally representing the population of the 50 states.

Constitution of the United States

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

And solve world hunger with her left hand.

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

So what would you do differently Mike?

I can only speak about the people whom I know personally who ended up homeless. In one case, he had to accept a time-served guilty plea which then had him lose access to all of his public housing options. The charge was ridiculous, he was defending himself in his own home, and the guy he "stabbed" didn't actually have any blood on him. But these time-served options are like Cotton Candy for the Courts, because it lets them clear lots and lots of cases. So yeah, they clear the case, but then they essentially make tens of thousands of new homeless people. Tying public benefits to a lack of criminal records is just silly, it exacerbates the problem, wouldn't you agree?

And then the "homeless shelters" are pathological zoos. They have horrible reputations because they are deserved. Homelessness is such a miserable condition, why in the world should homeless people be shoved into these things where they are beaten, stolen from, intimidated? But we've criminalized the act of being homeless, so we put them in something that resembles a prison. A very simple room, with a sink, a microwave, a toilet, a shower, a closet and a bed for themselves and their children if necessary would work wonders.

Ultimately, yes, even a simple room and food is expensive, so we have about half a million homeless people in the USA. A room, a cell phone, basic healthcare and food allowance supposedly averages about $1200/month per person, so that's about $7.2 billion per year before the government overhead, add in a 32% overhead and we're at about $10 billion per year, that's about $50 per U.S. household per year, but adjusting for about 1/2 children who can't and shouldn't work, emotionally and physically ill who might not be able to work, we should be able to see a cost match of about 25% from the in-service work from the formerly homeless people, 25% cost match from the impacted businesses, this should be manageable, but it would require some buy-in from the real stakeholders, who are people like you and me.

So would you buy-in on a program like that?

3 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

She and other representatives are responsible for making up laws that effect the whole United States , not just his or her district, 

so she doesn't make laws for NYC or NY state but the entire country,

We the People of the United States…

As per the Constitution, the U.S. House of Representatives makes and passes federal laws. The House is one of Congress’s two chambers (the other is the U.S. Senate), and part of the federal government’s legislative branch. The number of voting representatives in the House is fixed by law at no more than 435, proportionally representing the population of the 50 states.

Constitution of the United States

The Constitution says nothing about "Federal laws." Why would it?

Including a photo of the Constitution is a nice touch, but it has nothing to do with your idea that a Representative in The Bronx represents people in Texas. And in order to demonstrate that concept, here is a photo of some women playing dominoes ...

two-senior-women-playing-dominoes-188689

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

If we asked nicely, Mikey will tell us about the two years he spent in Chicago studying Constitutional law under Obama, and got a gold star on his term paper.

You must be thinking of yourself. And the time you claimed you worked for Robert Kennedy's campaign.

7 minutes ago, Left Shift said:
1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

And solve world hunger with her left hand.

Ah, the Jared Portfolio.

How was Mikey able to deflect/distract you from Texas and  Cruz ?? 

And he is no kind of leftist - never was. 

With that schtick he must drive his kids crazy. 

Just now, mikewof said:

The Constitution says nothing about "Federal laws." Why would it?

Including a photo of the Constitution is a nice touch, but it has nothing to do with your idea that a Representative in The Bronx represents people in Texas. And in order to demonstrate that concept, here is a photo of some women playing dominoes ...

Which one of the old women is you?

lets see TC has been in office 4 times longer then AOC, what has he done, 

I guess as his district is all oil companies , they done great by him, with government $$$$$$$$$$'s ,You can house and feed the homeless                                                                             In fact, the Oil & Gas Industry receives more than $17 Billion in Subsidies per year, and according to our new analysis ExxonMobil likely gets as much as $1 billion of that. and how much campaign money did cruz get from that?

Ted Cruz received more money from oil and gas companies in 2018 than any other senator

The senator received nearly $800,000 from the industry in 2018

2 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

I guess as his district is all oil companies , they done great by him, with government $$$$$$$$$$'s ,You can house and feed the homeless                                                                             In fact, the Oil & Gas Industry receives more than $17 Billion in Subsidies per year, and according to our new analysis ExxonMobil likely gets as much as $1 billion of that. and how much campaign money did cruz get from that?

Ted Cruz received more money from oil and gas companies in 2018 than any other senator

Looks like he lives in a pretty crappy house for that kind of subsidy. Does he have other domiciles?

10 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Looks like he lives in a pretty crappy house for that kind of subsidy. Does he have other domiciles?

Here's the house that Exxon pays for and a snowflake

2 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

First off, I've noticed that you've dropped your untenable position that a Representative from The Bronx somehow represents the people of Texas. We're getting somewhere.

Now, is there a reason why you're comparing a Cruz to Ocasio-Cortez?

Ocasio-Cortez is supposed to be a beacon of progressivism, why in the world would she be validated by comparing her to Cruz?

And why do you bring up the subsidies of the oil industry? I don't really follow ... is it because the oil industry is in Texas? In that case, shouldn't we bring up the hundreds of billions of financial bailouts of NYC's finance industry?

What do subsidies have to do with Ocasio-Cortez showboating in Texas while about ten thousands of her constituents in The Bronx and Queens are without power, without water, without a roof over their head, without heat, without healthcare, without a bathroom, and often without food? Is this the future of Progressivism where the way we justify its failures is to compare it to even bigger, more dramatic failures like Ted friggen Cruz?

Or are you suggesting that instead of bailing out the financial industry and subsidizing oil, nuclear and gas, we should instead end homelessness and poverty? Because if that's your point, then I'm listening ...

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

How was Mikey able to deflect/distract you from Texas and  Cruz ?? 

And he is no kind of leftist - never was. 

With that schtick he must drive his kids crazy. 

Try to keep up perfesser ... this isn't a diversion, it's about a public servant from NYC, preferring to spend her employment time supporting the people of Texas --- whom she doesn't represent --- instead of the people of Queens and The Bronx, whom she does represent, of which some tens thousand or have no power, no water, no bathrooms, no roof over their head, no healthcare, and often no food.

What she has done isn't as bad as Ted Cruz jumping on a plane to Mexico rather than support his own constituency, but it is another flavor of a similar kind of fuck-up. For all her good intentions, Ocasio-Cortez has her constituency and her constituency needs her help every day, just as much as Cruz's constituency needs his help. The difference of course is that the newspaper can't mention every day about the problems of homelessness in The Bronx and Queens, so to people like you, poorly educated simpletons, the problems simply cease to exist. Cruz jumped on a plane to Mexico to escape his problems as home, and Ocasio-Cortez jumped on a plane to Texas for the political opportunities, even at the expense of leaving her problems at home.

That you can just brush off these actual issues since they don't conform to your political agenda, strongly suggests that you in fact have not a clue on Earth what Social Justice is, and what Social Justice can be.

You're a washed up politico, and even in your supposed area of expertise, you get your ass kicked her so regularly, even by a lowly idiot like me who doesn't know politics from my ass, that you've taken now to accusing others of not having sufficient ideological purity, likely as a distraction from your own lack of expertise in these areas, and remarkably like the "Reich" to which you toss around that label with abandon, and who also had quite the history of accusing others of insufficient ideological purity. It seems that you've become all that you despise, huh Herr Professor?

Part of supporting the ideals of social justice in a meaningful way is holding people like Ocasio-Cortez to the highest possible standards. But what you're doing is in fact just a slightly different flavor of the what the Q-tards do ... blind support. And why not? Your ethical compass is apparently demagnitized.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Try to keep up perfesser

Should the late great John Lewis be condemned for not eliminating poverty and crime in Atlanta?  How dare he speak to people outside of his district?  The audacity of the man was stunning.

15 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:
16 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

So the state agency won't let them charge enough to maintain the system?

The state agency won't let them charge enough to maintain the system and you think that's "libertarian?" You are an idiot.

So you thing Texas power companies would do the right thing but the Texas state government stopped them? 

:lol::lol::lol:

Spinning reserve is expensive and a money-losing proposition. No one that wants to stay in business would EVER stand up reserves that will cost them money 99.9% of the time at best. The only way you will see enough spinning reserve is if there is a law that you have to have it. Texas took great pains to make sure such federal oppression never put its heavy boot on the neck of freedom loving Texas power plant owners. They are now free to freeze and starve.

That's not what I said. I just pointed out that a state regulatory commission is a form of regulation and it failed.

If you want a market solution, how about this: a contract that says that when a power company fails to provide power during predictable peak demand periods just because they didn't build enough capacity, they have to provide the affected customers with free power for a year. Or five years. Some really expensive penalty for non-performance. It's a common thing in contracts.

Instead, we have a regulatory commission that knows customers like low rates and that doesn't pay any penalty (nor, apparently, get any blame) when they underbuild or don't do proper maintenance.

Speaking of not doing proper maintenance, my new water pump for my 1986 outboard came yesterday. Replacing an impeller every few decades or so if it needs it isn't proper maintenance and I know that but did it anyway. If there were some penalty other than not getting to play with my boat the other day, I may well have gotten a round tuit sooner. Bringing me to this:

14 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Outboards "self-winterize", they drain when tilted up.

Umm... sorta, depending on who has been working on it. I always consult LeeRoy's Ramblings on jobs like this, even if I think I know all I need to know. I bought a new water pump, not just impeller, because I figured changing it every few decades isn't a bad idea as long as I'm taking it apart anyway. Turns out, it can be a bad idea. The main thing I wanted other than the impeller was the rubber grommet that seals the water pump against the water supply pipe leading up to the engine. LeeRoy taught me that my kit probably has two such grommets, one for long shaft engines and the other for short shaft engines. The short shaft one is not quite long enough and tricky to make it seal, so lots of mechanics use the longer one. The problem with this plan is that it can seal up two little exhaust housing drain holes. The holes are visible on either side of the pipe in this pic from his site:

drain%20holes%202.JPG

He solved the problem by drilling the two holes with red arrows.

But if you don't know about it and just use the grommet that seems to provide the best seal, you will seal up needed drains.

7 hours ago, mikewof said:

Not my butthurt, but your callousness is noted.

Now, my friend who is homeless in NYC? He has butthurt, because he has nowhere to take a shit, since the restaurants have closed their bathrooms, and the public libraries have closed and the public gyms have closed, all due to COVID. So the butthurt is his, literally, since he has nowhere to shower or clean his ass.

You've got a bedroom or two spare. With ensuite. Perhaps you could send your friend the busfare down?

It’s almost always the case the people on forums who comment so favorably and  think they know the best about AOC, Cuomo, Texas border are never actually from NY or Texas and have never actually been to these places or even been exposed to the local news sources.   And the ones complaining about Amazon already have jobs.   So much easier to sit on the couch while having dinner and get it from cable news. 

On the other side there is a guy complaining that his homeless friend can’t come into a restaurant where I might be dining just to clean his rectum.  Well fuck him too.  I’ll buy him a bus ticket to Pelosiland. There is a toilet on the bus he’ll be good for 4-5 days and can take a shit on her doorstep when he gets there like everyone else does  

Native Texan, family in NY for over 40 years. Did we ever determine who you were before you became a returd? 

edit: oh wait, Not a number? the guy with the permanent Viagra for BJ?  sigh, not that I care beyond typing this.

9 hours ago, Raz'r said:
10 hours ago, mikewof said:

Your butthurt is noted.

Mikey really is taking off the mask these days. I've known a number of genuine Everyman types: truck drivers who can quote Shakespeare, mechanics helpers who can beat a Russian grand master at chess, etc etc.... mikey's schtick as a trailer-park scientist is really just a cover for being Trumptard troll.

- DSK

5 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

That's not what I said. I just pointed out that a state regulatory commission is a form of regulation and it failed.

If you want a market solution, how about this: a contract that says that when a power company fails to provide power during predictable peak demand periods just because they didn't build enough capacity, they have to provide the affected customers with free power for a year. Or five years. Some really expensive penalty for non-performance. It's a common thing in contracts.

Instead, we have a regulatory commission that knows customers like low rates and that doesn't pay any penalty (nor, apparently, get any blame) when they underbuild or don't do proper maintenance.

Speaking of not doing proper maintenance, my new water pump for my 1986 outboard came yesterday. Replacing an impeller every few decades or so if it needs it isn't proper maintenance and I know that but did it anyway. If there were some penalty other than not getting to play with my boat the other day, I may well have gotten a round tuit sooner. Bringing me to this:

Umm... sorta, depending on who has been working on it. I always consult LeeRoy's Ramblings on jobs like this, even if I think I know all I need to know. I bought a new water pump, not just impeller, because I figured changing it every few decades isn't a bad idea as long as I'm taking it apart anyway. Turns out, it can be a bad idea. The main thing I wanted other than the impeller was the rubber grommet that seals the water pump against the water supply pipe leading up to the engine. LeeRoy taught me that my kit probably has two such grommets, one for long shaft engines and the other for short shaft engines. The short shaft one is not quite long enough and tricky to make it seal, so lots of mechanics use the longer one. The problem with this plan is that it can seal up two little exhaust housing drain holes. The holes are visible on either side of the pipe in this pic from his site:

drain%20holes%202.JPG

He solved the problem by drilling the two holes with red arrows.

But if you don't know about it and just use the grommet that seems to provide the best seal, you will seal up needed drains.

Thread creep - salt water has eaten holes in my Evinrude 15 HP lower unit from the pump housing to the exhaust. The shop fabricated a fix with Marine-Tex for the time being, but said the parts are no longer availabe. Seems Bombardier ran themselves out of the engine business :angry: I was advised to start looking for a new engine or start looking for a lower unit from a fresh water state. Once great American company down the drain :( Damn those Canadians !

Back to the other issue, yes regulation fails when it serves the interest of the regulated and not the consumer of the product. See Boeing, that shit NEVER would have got signed off back in the day.

He’s rescued 500 people from icy Texas roads: ‘As fast as I was clearing cars out, people were pulling in and getting stuck’

Jill Ventimiglia didn’t have running water in her Austin home because of the punishing Arctic storm that battered Texas, so she and her dog headed to her parents’ house across town. All of a sudden, her car was stuck in thick ice on a slippery road. Her white Honda Fit wouldn’t budge, and as she looked up, she saw about 30 other cars were also stranded. There was no cellphone service; she couldn’t call 911.

“It was so scary,” Ventimiglia, 47, said. “People were out of their cars screaming and panicking.”

After 15 minutes of frantically calling for help, a stranger shouted to her, “The guy is coming to get you next!”

It was Ryan Sivley in his pickup truck, which he lovingly calls “The Beast.” Sivley rescued 98 drivers on Monday and about 400 others during the brutal blast that has hammered Texas, he said. Frigid temperatures and relentless snowstorms have sparked water and food shortages, widespread power outages and hazardous, ice-glazed roadways. Sivley, 40, tethered her car to his truck using a sturdy strap, then towed Ventimiglia — who remained in her vehicle with her dog, Stella, roughly three miles to her parents’ house.

Sivley made his first rescue on Feb. 14 as the storm was brewing. He went to a corner store to stock up on essential supplies, and on his way there, he saw a bunch of vehicles stuck on the side of the road.

“It was like a sea of cars,” he said. “Some people were stuck in snowbanks and ditches.”

“I had all my gear, so I thought, ‘let me just help,’” he said, adding that the situation got more harrowing by the minute.

“As fast as I was clearing cars out, people were pulling in and getting stuck,” he continued. He estimated there was “about three to six inches of ice on the roads” causing the cars to jam up.

“I went from helping one person, to three people, to five people,” Sivley said. “At 434 cars, I stopped counting. So many people are still stranded.”

• Like 2

Ted Cruz Is Going to the Dogs

If you were a dog, would you rather belong to the senator from Texas or the one from Utah?

Cruz, however, stuck with the crazed conspiracy theorists after the election and voted against certifying Joe Biden as president. Romney said Cruz and his fellow Biden denialists would “forever be seen as being complicit in an unprecedented attack against our democracy.” And then he went off to Cancún after Texas was battered by snow, ice and rain, cut off from lights and deprived of reliable clean water. While he scurried back after getting caught in the act, it’s not likely a whole lot of his fellow Texans appreciated his explanation that he was just trying to “be a good dad.”

Yeah, tell it to Snowflake.

28 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:

He’s rescued 500 people from icy Texas roads: ‘As fast as I was clearing cars out, people were pulling in and getting stuck’

Jill Ventimiglia didn’t have running water in her Austin home because of the punishing Arctic storm that battered Texas, so she and her dog headed to her parents’ house across town. All of a sudden, her car was stuck in thick ice on a slippery road. Her white Honda Fit wouldn’t budge, and as she looked up, she saw about 30 other cars were also stranded. There was no cellphone service; she couldn’t call 911.

“It was so scary,” Ventimiglia, 47, said. “People were out of their cars screaming and panicking.”

After 15 minutes of frantically calling for help, a stranger shouted to her, “The guy is coming to get you next!”

It was Ryan Sivley in his pickup truck, which he lovingly calls “The Beast.” Sivley rescued 98 drivers on Monday and about 400 others during the brutal blast that has hammered Texas, he said. Frigid temperatures and relentless snowstorms have sparked water and food shortages, widespread power outages and hazardous, ice-glazed roadways. Sivley, 40, tethered her car to his truck using a sturdy strap, then towed Ventimiglia — who remained in her vehicle with her dog, Stella, roughly three miles to her parents’ house.

Sivley made his first rescue on Feb. 14 as the storm was brewing. He went to a corner store to stock up on essential supplies, and on his way there, he saw a bunch of vehicles stuck on the side of the road.

“It was like a sea of cars,” he said. “Some people were stuck in snowbanks and ditches.”

“I had all my gear, so I thought, ‘let me just help,’” he said, adding that the situation got more harrowing by the minute.

“As fast as I was clearing cars out, people were pulling in and getting stuck,” he continued. He estimated there was “about three to six inches of ice on the roads” causing the cars to jam up.

“I went from helping one person, to three people, to five people,” Sivley said. “At 434 cars, I stopped counting. So many people are still stranded.”

Can't do purple on the phone.  Pretend italics is purple please. 

Unless he charged $100 a pop he is a socialist.

Hasn't he learnt yet that if he keeps on pulling them out more will keep on doing the same thing. 

Is anti competitive,  he is stealing money from tow operators. 

No one should ever get anything for free,  well unless it is from a religious cult,,  which you should join as thanks afterwards. 

sorry,  I'm in a mood this morning. 

There’s always a tweet. When you flip flop with the political winds prepare to be embarrassed... IF you have any fucking shame. Wouldn’t it be easier to judge things by right and wrong than right and left?

D7126C62-A472-446F-8BA7-45D512F657A0.jpeg

What I’ve learned? I’m getting a Powerwall. I’ve already got solar so I can be 100% off grid indefinitely if I manage elect use. More expensive than a generator but no space needed, cheaper install, no maintenance

2 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

Hasn't he learnt yet that if he keeps on pulling them out more will keep on doing the same thing. 

No one should ever get anything for free,  well unless it is from a religious cult,,  which you should join as thanks afterwards. 

Waaaay back when... 1979-80 I was a work study student at a small, rural college in Vt. One of my jobs, because I had a car, was to pick up prospective students who arrived via bus. The bus station was (+-) 25 miles away. One day I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for the bus. A guy came up and asked me if I was waiting for family, or a friend. I said no, I've never met this person, I'm just taking them up to the college. He asked what I got paid for this. I told him it was something like 27 cents a mile.

The bus came in, I identified the prospective student, and we set off back towards the college. About half way back I got pulled over by a State Trooper. He asked some questions, asked the passenger some questions, and wrote me a ticket for running an illegal taxi service, and gave me a court summons.

Seems the guy in the parking lot was a taxi driver, who felt that I was stealing his fare. Thankfully, the college administration took care of whatever needed taking care of, but I never got asked to drive again.

3 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

Lucky he wasn't from out of town or Mike would insist he's ignoring his local problems in a 2000 word Cliff Clavenesque screed.

39 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Seems the guy in the parking lot was a taxi driver, who felt that I was stealing his fare. Thankfully, the college administration took care of whatever needed taking care of, but I never got asked to drive again.

Bastard!!

Photo of exhausted Domino’s workers in San Antonio goes viral

622206534_ScreenShot2021-02-20at10_59_16AM.thumb.jpg.65e11ec238a57e13085a237f81ec7beb.jpg

“This Dominos in San Antonio. Working during this crisis. They had a weekend worth of food and it was gone within 4 hours,” wrote July DeLuna, the user who submitted the photo to Chime In, the network’s public photo feed. “This team helped those that needed help. These are the essential workers that need recognition. They were the only pizza place open. Every pizza place was closed but dominos stayed open to help those in need.”

I’ve been through absurd service rushes in my restaurant career when we we ran through all our ingredients, and though I’ve probably looked pretty frazzled, I honestly can’t say I worked through a shift like this. An entire weekend’s worth of ingredients just gone in a shift due to a massive emergency? That’s some serious in-the-trenches shit and the kind of shift even hardened restaurant employees walk out on, or at the least, when they sneak off to cry privately in the walk-in cooler. This is also a stark reminder that many people with essential restaurant jobs oftentimes don’t get paid much more than minimum wage. But they are the ones making the food that shows up at your door right when you need it most.