10 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It seems that "Texas's plight" was used by AOC for her career.

So what? Is it unusual for politicians to make use of natural disasters to promote their profiles?

Maybe all politicians should work anonymously .

Who was that masked man?:rolleyes:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be clear. In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States. Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden f

A Houston furniture store opened its doors as a refuge. Thousands came for help. Feb. 18, 2021, 10:33 a.m. ETFeb. 18, 2021 Feb. 18, 2021 By Christine Hauser  

At least AOC is doing something for people in need. Good for her! You are a person that is throwing rocks at someone that is helping. Really? Have you thought that through? Here in NY we have had a ho

Posted Images

Looks like Mikey fell down, and went "BOOM!"....

A Houston furniture store opened its doors as a refuge. Thousands came for help.

author-christine-hauser-thumbLarge.jpg
Feb. 18, 2021, 10:33 a.m. ETFeb. 18, 2021
Feb. 18, 2021

By Christine Hauser

merlin_183889116_360ab475-2e2c-4f57-8e7e

James F. McIngvale, a Houston furniture store owner known as “Mattress Mack,” saw his fellow Texans cold and hungry, with little shelter from the winter storm that has ravaged the state and knocked out power to millions.

So just as he did during Hurricane Harvey and other storms, Mr. McIngvale, 70, opened his doors, and the people came.

Since Tuesday, thousands have made the trip to Mr. McIngvale’s Gallery Furniture, spending a few hours on armchairs and couches to warm up, or sleeping on their choice of beds intended, in better times, for the prospective customers who visit the more than 100,000 square feet of showroom. As many as 500 people have spent the night, he said.

For now, at this impromptu shelter, those in need can eat donated meals or food paid for by Mr. McIngvale. Children frolic on playground furniture in the children’s section. Masks and hand sanitizer stations are set up in front as a precaution against the coronavirus, another danger that Texans are struggling with as they face freezing temperatures, power outages and a lack of clean drinking water.

Mr. McIngvale and his wife started the furniture store on Houston’s North Freeway about 30 years ago with a $5,000 investment. He said he was inspired by his Catholic faith.

“When my people are dying and freezing, I am going to take care of them,” he said. “That comes before profit every time.”

Mr. McIngvale said the store has been using a large generator for electricity, although he said power was slowly starting to come back on Thursday. Buckets of water were being brought in from an outside source to flush the toilets.

Rosie May Williams, 48, who said she was homeless, tried to take shelter at a convention center but was told it was over capacity. She was transported by bus to the furniture store, and has slept for the past two nights on a recliner, eating smothered chicken for dinner on one of those nights.

“They have been very good to me,” she said.

Many of those who chose to stay have organized themselves as volunteers, emptying trash and taking care of other people, who range in age from very young children to older adults in their 90s, Mr. McIngvale said.

“We will stay open for as long as people need us,” he said.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

How is that not a failure?

(Seems my last post on this subject has been purged)

ETA: OOPS! It's back up. Must be a computer glitch..... Kinda like the non-failure of the Texas ERCOT

*Being technical here* - The grid did not fail. If I have 10 generators and 10 extension cords running 10 heaters, the grid is the extension cords. If the generators all get too cold to function because their radiators froze, then the generator operators are morons for not investing in anti-freeze, but the extension cords are working as well as ever, they just have no power to extension anyplace :rolleyes:

Now add that everyone else in the area bought really long cords and can supply each other when their generators fail, but you did not because the long cords require meeting the Federal Government Long Cord Regulations and you HATE the Federal Government and actually get a lot of mileage out of hating government every night at dinner. That is a failure of political will and imagination. Your lonely little grid worked as well as anyone could make it work with frozen generators and no long cords.

* when your family bitches they have no lights and no dinner, tell them you are getting a long cord, get in the car, and driver to Mexico for hookers and blow :lol: They'll forgive you.

• Like 2

Why would any self-respecting power grid tie itself into Texas 

if they don' winterize ?? 

Just lucky they were NOT tied in or the whole country might have gone down. 

I found a picture of the Texas grid.

image.png.7de34ba10e6d14fdc778b85ed0f99a6f.png

• Like 3

I just drove down to the corner 7-11 because I know the tr-stocking delivery truck shows up at about 2 am  every night. 
The particular 7-11 is the highest volume 7-11 in the USA.

I got finally scored some milk fir the wife’s coffee. 

normally this place’s 12 gas pumps are packed from about 6 am until 9am and relatively busy except between about 2 am and five am. 

The pumps have been turned off for almost a week.  

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

I just drove down to the corner 7-11 because I know the tr-stocking delivery truck shows up at about 2 am  every night. 
The particular 7-11 is the highest volume 7-11 in the USA.

I got finally scored some milk fir the wife’s coffee. 

normally this place’s 12 gas pumps are packed from about 6 am until 9am and relatively busy except between about 2 am and five am. 

The pumps have been turned off for almost a week.  

Keep warm Gov.

Mattress Mac has been very generous for many years, he is also a very savvy businessman.  It's a long story that I am not bothering to share but trust me, every good deed he does gets headline attention and good will making him a lot of money. 

When the power went out at HEB all the customers waiting in line were told to just go ahead and take their groceries home.

Meanwhile Jerry Jones, owner of the Cowboys and using the stadium Arlington built for him that he pays 2.5 million a year is raking in the peak pricing of NG. Never let an opportunity go to waste.    And last meanwhile - our Gov Abbott thanks Biden for his partial help in the request for federal aid.  Mattress Mac is much smarter than these other guys. 

Now back to boiling water. Wash dishes? oh yeah, that is a special process.  I am thankful we have water. And the Kroger had a few things on the shelf this morning.

18 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Mattress Mac has been very generous for many years, he is also a very savvy businessman.  It's a long story that I am not bothering to share but trust me, every good deed he does gets headline attention and good will making him a lot of money. 

When the power went out at HEB all the customers waiting in line were told to just go ahead and take their groceries home.

Meanwhile Jerry Jones, owner of the Cowboys and using the stadium Arlington built for him that he pays 2.5 million a year is raking in the peak pricing of NG. Never let an opportunity go to waste.    And last meanwhile - our Gov Abbott thanks Biden for his partial help in the request for federal aid.  Mattress Mac is much smarter than these other guys. 

Now back to boiling water. Wash dishes? oh yeah, that is a special process.  I am thankful we have water. And the Kroger had a few things on the shelf this morning.

Remember when we used to talk about the collapse of the Soviet Union and their failed economy? People freezing inside their homes, empty store shelves.... welcome to Trump's America. Can Biden fix it?

- DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Remember when we used to talk about the collapse of the Soviet Union and their failed economy? People freezing inside their homes, empty store shelves.... welcome to Trump's America. Can Biden fix it?

- DSK

Biden alone can't but if at least half the people pitch in, it can be fixed. Anything can be fixed if you have the right tools, materials, and brains.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

This should be a wake up call for Texans, the fallout will continue for some time and the memory of 14 million of us still not having safe drinking water should have an impact.  It takes 10 attaboys to make up for 1 awwshit. 

• Like 1

Fuck that regulation stuff.  This is Texas.

His Lights Stayed on During Texas’ Storm. Now He Owes $16,752.

The steep electric bills in Texas are in part a result of the state’s uniquely unregulated energy market, which allows customers to pick their electricity providers among about 220 retailers in an entirely market-driven system.

Under some of the plans, when demand increases, prices rise. The goal, architects of the system say, is to balance the market by encouraging consumers to reduce their usage and power suppliers to create more electricity.
4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Keep warm Gov.

I didn’t the day doing errands and cleaning up. broken tree limbs around my yard.....

wearing shorts and a long sleeve t shirt. 

If I was smart and not currently employed: I'd hop in my truck, fill up as many jerry jugs of gas as I could find, buy every roll of PEX-A at every home depot between Calif and Texas and make a fortune fixing busted pipes. Being Texas, I'm sure you don't need a license or anything. 

Because there's lots of busted pipes that need to be fixed, and getting somebody to fix it is going to take weeks or maybe even months. (Although I'm sure somebody is planning doing just exactly the same plan) And living for weeks with no water is not fun. 

This incident has shown me something, and it's that the former guy  taught all of us a real time saving skill: "If it's coming out of a R's mouth, just assume it's a lie." - No need to bother with that pesky checking sources, looking for actual reality, etc... Once one of the bullshitmongers said "It's because of wind and solar!" we all knew that wasn't true. Then a bunch more jumped on, further proving it wasn't because of wind and solar. 

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

The steep electric bills in Texas are in part a result of the state’s uniquely unregulated energy market, which allows customers to pick their electricity providers among about 220 retailers in an entirely market-driven system.

Under some of the plans, when demand increases, prices rise. The goal, architects of the system say, is to balance the market by encouraging consumers to reduce their usage and power suppliers to create more electricity.

I’d be interested in hearing @Pedagogical Tom‘s defense of this libertarian paradise-derived “system”

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

The goal, architects of the system say, is to balance the market by encouraging consumers to reduce their usage and power suppliers to create more electricity.

The goal is to make as much money as possible.

Period.

I'm guessing that the 'Don't Mess with Texas' was a truncated version of the complete message.  The original went:

Don't Mess with Texas, 

We Can Mess it Up Without Any Help!

Kidding aside, I wish everyone the best.  Stay safe and care for each other.  

16 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

So what? Is it unusual for politicians to make use of natural disasters to promote their profiles?

Maybe all politicians should work anonymously .

Who was that masked man?:rolleyes:

Our government is mostly composed of employees who do their jobs and do their jobs well. The handful of employees who "promote their profiles" don't necessarily serve the public any better, but rather they tap into a portion of the public's lust for celebrity worship.

You're a perfect example of that of course ... you have no actual stake in our political process, and you neither choose nor are you represented b8y this process, but these personalities interest from a mostly cultural perspective.

You seem to know a good bit about Ocasio-Cortez, likely due to "promoting her profile" but all the other representatives who just serve quietly and work to fix specific problems for their constituents, these are just "anonymous" representatives, like Meeks, Maliotakis, Mahoney, Jeffries .. people whom I've followed to a degree because I lived in NY and because my family is still there. But for "fans", it's more about the "cult of celebrity", and there are a lot of American voters like you, the "Kylie Minnoguification" of politics. As evidenced by our current condition as a country, it's not necessarily leading us in a good direction over just hiring effective public servants who do the job for which they were hired and turn their positions into a full time campaign ... the never-ending war, how much more American can we get then that?

During the the normal supply-demand power cycles, Texas has some of the lower utility costs in the country, and it's part of the reason they support their grid isolation.

What happened in Texas would have never happened on that scale if they could have brought in power from the region interconnects. Will they change now? Will they connect to the grid for instance through Tres Amigas? Any Texans here who support that?

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Connecting Texas' grid isolation to either Trump or Biden is silly.

But you're obviously trolling, so git'er done.

12 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Why would any self-respecting power grid tie itself into Texas 

if they don' winterize ?? 

Just lucky they were NOT tied in or the whole country might have gone down. 

Stick to politics. This post demonstrates your profound ignorance of basic circuits in a profound and undeniable way.

12 hours ago, Keith said:

I found a picture of the Texas grid.

image.png.7de34ba10e6d14fdc778b85ed0f99a6f.png

That's adorable.

But in fact the Texas grid is one of the most advanced grids on the planet. The problems in Texas were largely due to supply, not distribution. If they had connected to the rest of the Western interconnection, they could have drawn power from outside the state. But internally, their grid is a model for other countries in response, communication, redundancy and efficiency.

Part of the reason things are getting back to normal so fast in Texas, compared to say, Puerto Rico, is because of the resilience of that grid. (Even to this day, years after the Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico is still working to get their full grid back up to standards.)

17 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Whoa!

That sounds like something a moron would say.

What I wrote is correct. If you disagree, perhaps you should educate yourself in an elementary-school level understanding of power production and distribution.

16 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

How is that not a failure?

(Seems my last post on this subject has been purged)

ETA: OOPS! It's back up. Must be a computer glitch..... Kinda like the non-failure of the Texas ERCOT

If you can't even figure out how to use a simple forum software, what chance do you have to understand basic power distribution?

The problems in Texas were due mostly to supply, not distribution. The grid is the distribution, the generation is the supply.

17 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

The answer is obvious: no complaints. The regulators in TX know that authorizing higher rates is not going to be popular with consumers. Meaning, with voters, to whom their political masters must answer. Raise rates to build a more reliable grid and the "consumer of the product" that you mention is going to feel serviced all right, in the same sense that a bull services a cow. So they authorize rates that won't allow for sufficient excess capacity and maintenance to withstand a really bad freeze.

Texas has a very reliable grid, one of the best in the world. The problem is that they don't use the regional interconnects and they deregulated their power production market.

I get it, Meli and MrLeft and AJ and a few others try to apply politics here and create nonsense. But the work of actual Texans in their grid and their power production shouldn't be insulted just because the political flavors-of-the-day encourage it. The fact that life in Texas is so quickly returning to normal speaks volumes about the good work of the power industry there. They've had to evolve much more quickly than either the Eastern or Western grids mainly BECAUSE they knew they were a sitting duck with this kind of event.

33 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Stick to politics. This post demonstrates your profound ignorance of basic circuits in a profound and undeniable way.

So you are saying that this is impossible  . . ??  (I know right where those tree branches were . .  )

On August 14, 2003, a series of faults caused by tree branches touching power lines in Ohio, which were then complicated by human error, software issues, and equipment failures, led to the most widespread blackout in North American history.

Peace and tranquility

You've chosen to ignore content by mikewof. Options 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Peace and tranquility

This^

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

But in fact the Texas grid is one of the most advanced grids on the planet. The problems in Texas were largely due to supply, not distribution. If they had connected to the rest of the Western interconnection, they could have drawn power from outside the state. But internally, their grid is a model for other countries in response, communication, redundancy and efficiency.

You pull stuff "Out The Wazoo" with alarming regularity. 

You don't even know that generation is part of the "grid". 

And don't argue with me - take it up with Google 

The Grid has four major components: electricity generators, transmission lines, distribution networks, and consumer use.

That's adorable.

But in fact the Texas grid is one of the most advanced grids on the planet.

:lol:

This was a pretty good day already but thanks for the extra dash of humor

"Advanced" is trailer-park science talk for "unable to function in freezing weather" right?

- DSK

16 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

This afternoon, I ran the AC to cool off my car .

How many Texans will get monster lectric bills ??  

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/21/2017312/-Texas-man-hit-with-16-752-electric-bill-and-he-s-not-alone

And it looks like they're gonna stick the rest of us with a chunk of the cost !!  Grrrrrr !! 

The Texas Republican Michael McCaul, formerly chair of the House homeland security committee, spoke to CNN’s State of the Union.

“The current plans with the federal assistance bill are to help the homeowners both repair, because we have a lot of water leaks a lot of water damage pipes bursting, but also [pay] their electricity bills as well,” he said.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:59 AM, Bugsy said:

OK.   Just for reference, here in Canada we  routinely store outboards at 1 F (and much, much colder : -30 F would be considered cold).  I have always believed the best protection is to get all the water out so there is nothing to freeze.  I get the engine up out of the water to dry out before the really cold weather sets in.  I also I check the lower unit for any water ingress and change the oil in case there is some water in the oil.  

Keep an eye on your water flow the first time you start that engine.   Best wishes and stay safe!  

Update,  all ice melted around my section of the marina.  Water temp is 39f, so the low tonight of 27 shouldn't cause much if any of a refreeze.

Outboard fired up fine. Good water stream,  medium idle for 10 min then in gear for 10 min.

No damage to boat. Some stink boats not so lucky.  2 sank , many still have stern pinned in melting ice. 

Still no water at condo.  Will temporarily live on boat if water issue continues. 

Thanks all for advice and good wishes!

• Like 4

That's adorable.

Part of the reason things are getting back to normal so fast in Texas, compared to say, Puerto Rico, is because of the resilience of that grid. (Even to this day, years after the Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico is still working to get their full grid back up to standards.)

You can't compare Puerto Rico to Texas.  Like comparing apples to oranges.  You had a freeze come through and had a few power lines come down and some generators go off line.  You did not have all your Power poles ripped out of the ground and the whole infrastructure ripped apart. If you had I can guarantee you that you would have been a very long time trying to rebuild it from scratch.  

2 minutes ago, bletso said:

You can't compare Puerto Rico to Texas.  

Mike can do anything he wants!  Please save your soul and put him on ignore.  If not for you, for your children.  

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

How many Texans will get monster lectric bills ??  

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/21/2017312/-Texas-man-hit-with-16-752-electric-bill-and-he-s-not-alone

And it looks like they're gonna stick the rest of us with a chunk of the cost !!  Grrrrrr !! 

The Texas Republican Michael McCaul, formerly chair of the House homeland security committee, spoke to CNN’s State of the Union.

“The current plans with the federal assistance bill are to help the homeowners both repair, because we have a lot of water leaks a lot of water damage pipes bursting, but also [pay] their electricity bills as well,” he said.

Socialism!

13 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Socialism!

So after the rest of the USA pays the power bills from Texas, are they going to raise rates to pay it back?

Fuck, I amuse myself sometimes.

32 minutes ago, bletso said:

You can't compare Puerto Rico to Texas.  Like comparing apples to oranges.  You had a freeze come through and had a few power lines come down and some generators go off line.  You did not have all your Power poles ripped out of the ground and the whole infrastructure ripped apart. If you had I can guarantee you that you would have been a very long time trying to rebuild it from scratch.  

We can't compare PR to Texas because Texas has a state-of-the-art grid, and Puerto Rico's grid was barely better than Developing Nations standards.

Florida, Texas, Mississippi, and others have had their grids subjects to weather equally as harsh as Maria and Puerto Rick, but they came back quickly primarily because they are built to U.S. Standards, with access to the high-tension lines, properly scaled towers, redundancy, clear cut substations, etc..

Other than that, I agree with you, the freeze barely impacted Texas' grid other than some iced-lines. The main problem was in the generation capacity and the planned lack of interconnection to the Western Grid, not the distribution.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

Florida, Texas, Mississippi, and others have had their grids subjects to weather equally as harsh as Maria and Puerto

You are out of your fucking mind.

As others have suggested, and up until now I've resisted, but... CLICK!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

:lol:

This was a pretty good day already but thanks for the extra dash of humor

"Advanced" is trailer-park science talk for "unable to function in freezing weather" right?

- DSK

The Texas grid did mostly fine in freezing weather. The main problem was the lack of baseload supply that fed the grid.

You can be sure, that wherever it is that you live, the people who bring your power to your home do know the difference between the supply and the distribution, even if you don't.

5 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

You are out of your fucking mind.

As others have suggested, and up until now I've resisted, but... CLICK!

Hurricane  Maria was a Cat 5. Katrina was as severe right before the downgrade, while Camille, Andrew and Michael stayed cat. 5 after landfall.

But go ahead and argue with the history books, it seems to be a thing with you.

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

You pull stuff "Out The Wazoo" with alarming regularity. 

You don't even know that generation is part of the "grid". 

And don't argue with me - take it up with Google 

The Grid has four major components: electricity generators, transmission lines, distribution networks, and consumer use.

Argue all you like, make it political. The reality is that Texas has one of the most advanced power supply grids, the most installed smart meters, the most load balancing, the most advanced ptp communications. And in supply, they have one of the fsastest growing wind and solar capacities.

I'm not sure why you get off messing with Texas, but it's unwarranted.

Yes, this freeze hit them unprepared, but their progress in green energy and efficiency can't just be tossed into the shit pile for your political whims.

Just like having brand new tires on that old broken-down rusted-out junk truck on blocks in the driveway. It might roll, if you push it.

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

So you are saying that this is impossible  . . ??  (I know right where those tree branches were . .  )

On August 14, 2003, a series of faults caused by tree branches touching power lines in Ohio, which were then complicated by human error, software issues, and equipment failures, led to the most widespread blackout in North American history.

It happened with the NYC Blackout too. That's what happens when transmission lines aren't planned and executed well. But that was over the regional AC grid.

What you wrote was nonsense, you suggested that the lack of power in Texas would somehow cause the rest of the U.S. grid to fail and you were thankful that their grid wasn't connected to the Western grid. The interconnects don't work like that, they're typically long-distance DC transmission lines. You have those confused with short-distance AC transmission lines.

5 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Divorce has not helped Mikey’s mental state.  I hope he doesn’t own any dogballs.

Gators suck. Any idea when they will stop sucking? Maybe 2030?

Tiny human, keep pushing.

3 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Gators suck.

Any idea when they will stop sucking? Maybe 2030?

If you do have any dogballs take one,  place it against your throat pointing up and pull the trigger.  Then we can take you off ignore.

edit: that was mean of me. I apologize.  Maybe just get a lobotomy.

8 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

If you do have any dogballs take one,  place it against your throat pointing up and pull the trigger.  Then we can take you off ignore.

edit: that was mean of me. I apologize.  Maybe just get a lobotomy.

A lobotomy on MW will take a much more targeted strike.... A Dogballs short would bounce around like an Atari Super Pong, and still have a very good chance of missing the target.

Sad. He used to at least make some salient points on natural resources..... But that's all gone now.

Anyway.... Time to start dinner. Pan seared rib eye steak, baked potato with butter, sour cream, and maybe some cheese, and steamed broccoli with butter and too much black pepper. Why too much? Because it makes broccoli better if you sneeze right after eating it.

26 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Time to start dinner. Pan seared rib eye steak, baked potato with butter, sour cream, and maybe some cheese, and steamed broccoli with butter and too much black pepper. 

Soundes nice, life dossente sucke.............                :)

14 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Soundes nice, life dossente sucke.............                :)

What's for dessert?

3 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Peace and tranquility

No shit.  It can be rather quiet.  Then, his meds wear off and he goes on a tear.

Kinda like a binge drinker off on a weekend bender.

12 minutes ago, hasher said:

What's for dessert?

Chocolate mousse..... With raspberries if I can thaw a few out w/o them getting too watery.

5 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I’d be interested in hearing @Pedagogical Tom‘s defense of this libertarian paradise-derived “system”

Cavemen  didn’t need electricity
President Washington didn’t need electricity

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

A lobotomy on MW will take a much more targeted strike.... A Dogballs short would bounce around like an Atari Super Pong, and still have a very good chance of missing the target.

Sad. He used to at least make some salient points on natural resources..... But that's all gone now.

Anyway.... Time to start dinner. Pan seared rib eye steak, baked potato with butter, sour cream, and maybe some cheese, and steamed broccoli with butter and too much black pepper. Why too much? Because it makes broccoli better if you sneeze right after eating it.

Good choice!  I’m doing a grilled rib eye with a hasselbach potato and some Spicy chocolate for dessert.  I was going to sauté some brochollini but forgot to buy it.  Probably for the better,  too much green stuff will kill you.

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I'm guessing that the 'Don't Mess with Texas' was a truncated version of the complete message.  The original went:

Don't Mess with Texas, 

Oddly enough, "Don't Mess With Texas" started out as an anti-littering campaign.   A classic case of messaging gone horribly wrong.

7 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Good choice!  I’m doing a grilled rib eye with a hasselbach potato and some Spicy chocolate for dessert.  I was going to sauté some brochollini but forgot to buy it.  Probably for the better,  too much green stuff will kill you.

Now that you mention it, I may mix some hot pepper flakes into the mousse, and sprinkle a little sea salt on to when I serve it.

16 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Chocolate mousse..... With raspberries if I can thaw a few out w/o them getting too watery.

Yummy.  I would like to marry you if you had different plumbing.

1 minute ago, hasher said:

Yummy.  I would like to marry you if you had different plumbing.

I'm sure you're a nice guy, but just not my type either. ;)

I don't think so, guys.... I used to play softball, but not for the other team!

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

I don't think so, guys.... I used to play softball, but not for the other team!

Hard ball makes me happy.

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Isn't this usually the time when the mafia/yakuza step in? :D 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

Isn't this usually the time when the mafia/yakuza step in? :D 

The boys are having a little time in the sauna.

18 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Remember the Alamo?

i don’t. 

History is fun.  Go to San Antonio.  

The Uniposter was off the reservation some time ago, doesn't look like he is coming back.  as to the grid? Not going to find it but according to our governor if not for some very alert operators the grid was minutes away from meltdown which would have resulted in much of Texas being dark for a month or more.

Yeah, so fucking advanced it depended on some alert and brave guys pulling switches to throw massive numbers of folks off of it allowing it to slowly start coming back online.

6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Don't Mess with Texas, 

That reminds me, one of the things about having the water shut off is figuring out how to flush the toilet.  

29 minutes ago, Mark K said:

That reminds me, one of the things about having the water shut off is figuring out how to flush the toilet.  

My hospital lost toilet flushing capability today. The whole hospital.  I had to start bowel prep on a guy for a colonoscopy tomorrow.  "Ummm.   Sorry you have to shit your guts out into a toilet that doesn't flush "

7 hours ago, Raz'r said:
9 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

I already pointed out that a regulatory agency that sets prices is not exactly my idea of a free market. People like the author of that article may call it "unregulated" (before going on to talk about the price caps) but it's just not unregulated if a regulatory agency is setting prices. Nothing about a regulatory agency setting prices is "libertarian paradise-derived" at all to me.

3 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

My hospital lost toilet flushing capability today. The whole hospital.  I had to start bowel prep on a guy for a colonoscopy tomorrow.  "Ummm.   Sorry you have to shit your guts out into a toilet that doesn't flush "

First few in the bowl, then have him upper deck the rest (pretty much all fluid IIRC) to flush the first few.  Problem solved!

41 minutes ago, Mark K said:

You grab a 5 gallon bucket of lake water,  carry it up 3 flights of steps,  take the cistern cover off, fill up to drain overflow,  open the seat,  have the remaining water in the bucket ready,  flush with the lever, and as soon as the cistern flush starts to slow,  add water directly to the bowl. 

Is the new method of conserving water in Dallas 

Next time I will add some charcoal to my covid mask first.

Tmi?

8 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Wow. 

5 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

First few in the bowl, then have him upper deck the rest (pretty much all fluid IIRC) to flush the first few.  Problem solved!

My plan was to give him our plastic buckets and just toss them I'm biohazard bin. 

4 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

You grab a 5 gallon bucket of lake water,  carry it up 3 flights of steps,  take the cistern cover off, fill up to drain overflow,  open the seat,  have the remaining water in the bucket ready,  flush with the lever, and as soon as the cistern flush starts to slow,  add water directly to the bowl. 

Is the new method of conserving water in Dallas 

Next time I will add some charcoal to my covid mask first.

Tmi?

Great for those close to lakes. You don't have to bother loading the cistern, just dump it in, saving enough to fill to the proper level after the siphoning stops. Btw get two buckets to balance the load and save trips. 

8 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Great for those close to lakes. You don't have to bother loading the cistern, just dump it in, saving enough to fill to the proper level after the siphoning stops. Btw get two buckets to balance the load and save trips. 

Aren’t the lakes frozen?

When you lose water in Texas:

Step 1 - have a swimming pool

Step 2 - if you flunked step one make sure you have friends with swimming pools

Step 3 - if you flunked step 2 go make friends with people who have swimming pools.  Just google earth the  neighborhood

Step 4 - you did save all those 5 gallon buckets now didn't you?

Swimming pool superior to lake (see what I did there?) because it already has chlorine in it.