Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

When you lose water in Texas:

Step 1 - have a swimming pool

Step 2 - if you flunked step one make sure you have friends with swimming pools

Step 3 - if you flunked step 2 go make friends with people who have swimming pools.  Just google earth the  neighborhood

Step 4 - you did save all those 5 gallon buckets now didn't you?

Swimming pool superior to lake (see what I did there?) because it already has chlorine in it.

 

Little bit risky.... 62 yr old sis in law was trying to break pool ice. Her invalid husband and grandson inside didn't hear the screams. 

She fell in the deep end,  and had to bash the ice with her arms so she could get to the shallow end to get out. 

Lucky it wasnt a day earlier, she probably wouldn't have been able to break her way out. 

She shouldn't have bothered. Her pumping and filtration components  exploded anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be clear. In January, Texas Republicans introduced a bill to secede from the United States. Yesterday, the Texas governor and both senators (including Ted Cruz) asked Biden f

A Houston furniture store opened its doors as a refuge. Thousands came for help. Feb. 18, 2021, 10:33 a.m. ETFeb. 18, 2021 Feb. 18, 2021 By Christine Hauser  

At least AOC is doing something for people in need. Good for her! You are a person that is throwing rocks at someone that is helping. Really? Have you thought that through? Here in NY we have had a ho

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Aren’t the lakes frozen?

Mostly melted today. Some isolated patches in marinas at lake ray hubbard this afternoon.  Surface water temp is 39f. 27f tonight but won't refreeze that quick.  Was 3 inches thick Thursday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

When you lose water in Texas:

Step 1 - have a swimming pool

Step 2 - if you flunked step one make sure you have friends with swimming pools

Step 3 - if you flunked step 2 go make friends with people who have swimming pools.  Just google earth the  neighborhood

Step 4 - you did save all those 5 gallon buckets now didn't you?

Swimming pool superior to lake (see what I did there?) because it already has chlorine in it.

 

Swimming pools and lakes frozen. Even when I was in my early 40s carrying 5 gallon buckets of water to the second floor was a non starter after the first trip. Thank yahwe the other toilet was right inside the front door..... But run off from the gutter was really harsh on the system. Hence, the generator pigtailed into the electric system with the main breaker switched off. Well pump, fridge, lights, furnace, TV, internet, everything except the clothes dryer.... And the 220v machines in the shop. I could fire up the Bandsaw, or the tablesaw, but no way would the planer start, or any one of those with the lights turned on.

  Thankfully, I never had a rush job that needed doing while the power was out for 10 days at a time 3 times in one year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hasher said:

Hard ball makes me happy.

Just makes me blue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I don't have the energy to review this entire link, but. . .

I'm pissed that those of us (our somewhat enlightened states) have prepared for emergencies with enhanced infrastructure, and have paid for it along the way, that now we have to help (pay) for Texas to recover from their inadequacies.  

I hear that there are many Republicans there?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, view at the front said:

Unfortunately I don't have the energy to review this entire link, but. . .

I'm pissed that those of us (our somewhat enlightened states) have prepared for emergencies with enhanced infrastructure, and have paid for it along the way, that now we have to help (pay) for Texas to recover from their inadequacies.  

I hear that there are many Republicans there?

 

 

The Federal government should step in and get shit squared away.  And, make them part of the Eastern grid.

power-grid.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problems in Texas can be laid at the feet of George W Bush and other republicans that pushed deregulation.  The reasoning was that power companies were spending too much gold plating the system which allowed them to collect a larger profit.  But under deregulation they stopped keeping the system up as it cut into profit and huge Enron style shortages were good for profit.  Since the Texas grid was not connected to the national grid(too much regulation), California, which has a huge glut and is practically giving it away, couldn't send it to Texas.

One outfit in Texas actually advised their customers to change providers before the storm hit as they charged $10 plus market rates.  Those that didn't are now facing 500-1,000/day for power.  Lucky for them, the companies are coming up with payment plans so they may stretch it out to 10 years Of course their will be interest and/or late payment fees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

How many Texans will get monster lectric bills ??  

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/21/2017312/-Texas-man-hit-with-16-752-electric-bill-and-he-s-not-alone

And it looks like they're gonna stick the rest of us with a chunk of the cost !!  Grrrrrr !! 

The Texas Republican Michael McCaul, formerly chair of the House homeland security committee, spoke to CNN’s State of the Union.

“The current plans with the federal assistance bill are to help the homeowners both repair, because we have a lot of water leaks a lot of water damage pipes bursting, but also [pay] their electricity bills as well,” he said.

So, basically, they got Enron’d. It would be like having a variable rate mortgage with no cap on interest rates when runaway inflation hits. Those low rates sure sounded good at the time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Texas needs to cut taxes. Bigly. 

The USA needs to cut Texas. Bigly

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

First few in the bowl, then have him upper deck the rest (pretty much all fluid IIRC) to flush the first few.  Problem solved!

Umm, no.

Just no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, view at the front said:

Unfortunately I don't have the energy to review this entire link, but. . .

I'm pissed that those of us (our somewhat enlightened states) have prepared for emergencies with enhanced infrastructure, and have paid for it along the way, that now we have to help (pay) for Texas to recover from their inadequacies.  

I hear that there are many Republicans there?

They're all socialists now, wanting the federal government to bail them out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, svitale said:

The problems in Texas can be laid at the feet of George W Bush and other republicans that pushed deregulation.  The reasoning was that power companies were spending too much gold plating the system which allowed them to collect a larger profit.  But under deregulation they stopped keeping the system up as it cut into profit and huge Enron style shortages were good for profit.  Since the Texas grid was not connected to the national grid(too much regulation), California, which has a huge glut and is practically giving it away, couldn't send it to Texas.

One outfit in Texas actually advised their customers to change providers before the storm hit as they charged $10 plus market rates.  Those that didn't are now facing 500-1,000/day for power.  Lucky for them, the companies are coming up with payment plans so they may stretch it out to 10 years Of course their will be interest and/or late payment fees.

Did someone say Republicans are smart?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Flash: Texas situation is Biden’s fault.

“Former Trump advisor says Texas power outages are consequence of electing Biden”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-trump-advisor-says-texas-001424659.html

JFC.  Larry Kudlow.  The next time one of the Faithful cite anything he says, I am going to respond with this article.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ted Cruz’s Flimsy Excuse For His Cancun Beach Vacation Just Fell Apart

On Sunday, Axios reported that Cruz invited one of his own friends along for the trip. The website said David Panton, who was Cruz’s roommate at Princeton and Harvard Law, joined the family at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun. 

Cruz hurried home when word got out about his trip. Panton, however, stayed in Cancun, Axios reported.

Cruz has been trying to save face since the ill-fated trip by making a series of TV appearances and belatedly turning up at relief events. Yet the pressure on Cruz is growing: The Houston Chronicle on Friday called on him to resign for his “foolish, callous and sadly telling of his approach to the job over the past eight years.” 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:

Ted Cruz’s Flimsy Excuse For His Cancun Beach Vacation Just Fell Apart

On Sunday, Axios reported that Cruz invited one of his own friends along for the trip. The website said David Panton, who was Cruz’s roommate at Princeton and Harvard Law, joined the family at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun. 

Cruz hurried home when word got out about his trip. Panton, however, stayed in Cancun, Axios reported.

Cruz has been trying to save face since the ill-fated trip by making a series of TV appearances and belatedly turning up at relief events. Yet the pressure on Cruz is growing: The Houston Chronicle on Friday called on him to resign for his “foolish, callous and sadly telling of his approach to the job over the past eight years.” 

Bullshitting is hard.  The cool thing about being honest is that you don't have to keep a story straight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruz is trying to repair his public image after his Cancún trip. He’s still feeling the heat.

imrs_php.jpeg.5a47add824feb486f9318f4325789ad0.jpeg

In what appeared to others to be a bid to rehab his image, Cruz posted photosof himself Saturday passing out packs of water bottles to Texans struggling without clean water. On Sunday, he expressed outrage about skyrocketing utility bills, calling for regulatory action. But Cruz’s tweets in the wake of his trip have further fanned the flames of criticism, putting the junior senator under fire for his response to the winter storms that devastated Texas.

In photos Cruz posted of himself with the caption #TexasStrong, he is wearing a face mask with the Texas flag on it and distributing water bottles to people, shaking a maskless woman’s hand in one picture. He appeared to be in Harris County, posting more photos the next day in close contact with first responders, serving them barbecue. Immediately after his initial posts, responses flooded in, condemning Cruz for disregarding federal guidance, which not only advises against traveling to Mexico because of the number of coronavirus cases there, but also recommends that travelers stay home for seven days once they’ve returned to reduce the spread of the virus.

“You should be quarantining right now,” the Lincoln Project, a group of Republicans who oppose former president Donald Trump, commented in response to Cruz’s photos.

People who have traveled from Mexico should also get tested for the coronavirus three to five days after their trip, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 10:27 AM, dfw_sailor said:

update on the boat.....

 

Ok, which one of you f'ing anarchists put a freezer under my boat?

All the boats along this breakwater dock have at least 6" free water except mine and 1 each side at the end of the dock.  The one at the end is fully encased but not showing any compression. The other side of me has 2" free water around its beams.

Mine?     areas broken yesterday afternoon refroze to 1 1/2" inches.   Broke it up again at 8am this morning. some areas got to 3" thick. Supposed to get to 35 this afternoon and 20 tonight.

Threw my shoulder out a bit this time. Bugger.

74542172_day3.thumb.jpg.c77f4ac5477dae3f0f637c53fe0c5295.jpg

I apologize, but how in the fuck do you get 3" of ice in one night??  less than 12 hours?  I hate to say it, but Mikie??  Is this even possable at the temps down there??   If that is what you are getting WOW, but I have lived in cold climes my whole life and can't recall 3" on an open body of h2o in one night unless it was sustained below 0 for more than well...... a couple days...  ...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I apologize, but how in the fuck do you get 3" of ice in one night??  less than 12 hours?  I hate to say it, but Mikie??  Is this even possable at the temps down there??   If that is what you are getting WOW, but I have lived in cold climes my whole life and can't recall 3" on an open body of h2o in one night unless it was sustained below 0 for more than well...... a couple days...  ...  

Most areas got to 2 inches thick,  my little corner got to 3 inches,  which to me indicated static water just around mine and 2 neighbor boats. 

1 inch first night,  slight melt to 3/4 during the day,  then grew to 2 inches next night, then the next 2 days grew to 3 inches. 

Freaking hard ice too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Most areas got to 2 inches thick,  my little corner got to 3 inches,  which to me indicated static water just around mine and 2 neighbor boats. 

1 inch first night,  slight melt to 3/4 during the day,  then grew to 2 inches next night, then the next 2 days grew to 3 inches. 

Freaking hard ice too. 

OK, that makes more sense.  The sustained temps will get you the harder ice.  Yours is clear too so it is the good stuff.  The milky stuff is no bueno cause the air that freezes inside makes it less hard.  Ice 101...... LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:
17 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I apologize, but how in the fuck do you get 3" of ice in one night??  less than 12 hours?  I hate to say it, but Mikie??  Is this even possable at the temps down there??   If that is what you are getting WOW, but I have lived in cold climes my whole life and can't recall 3" on an open body of h2o in one night unless it was sustained below 0 for more than well...... a couple days...  ...  

Most areas got to 2 inches thick,  my little corner got to 3 inches,  which to me indicated static water just around mine and 2 neighbor boats. 

1 inch first night,  slight melt to 3/4 during the day,  then grew to 2 inches next night, then the next 2 days grew to 3 inches. 

Freaking hard ice too. 

Are you sure it wasn't Ice-9? Be careful with that stuff!

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Are you sure it wasn't Ice-9? Be careful with that stuff!

- DSK

Ha!,  it was cold but not that cold.

Found out yesterday one neighbor did not put any sort of heat source in his boat, and usually gets 5 to 10 gallons a day into his bilge. (!). 

The bilge pump froze, but water still came in.  He has been there every day for 3 days with a shop vac sucking out about 10 gallons.

I'm biting my tongue. I pity the next owner

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Keith said:

Just like having brand new tires on that old broken-down rusted-out junk truck on blocks in the driveway. It might roll, if you push it.

New tires so why blocks??  Just sayin...  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

The Federal government should step in and get shit squared away.  And, make them part of the Eastern grid.

power-grid.jpeg

If Texas wants their grid to be free on interconnects, by the Tenth Amendment, they are afforded that right.

This thing may end it though, by popular demand in Texas. But it isn't clear if they'll go to the Western grid, Eastern grid, or do a double-Tres Amigas and connect to both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mikewof said:

 

The consumers will still be at the whim of the wholesale markets if they insist on wholesale pricing contracts. not sure why the Feds should bail the consumers out of those.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

No shit.  It can be rather quiet.  Then, his meds wear off and he goes on a tear.

Kinda like a binge drinker off on a weekend bender.

When I read something intelligent here, I'll respond with an upvote or a comment.

When I read some high level of nonsense of from an idiot here, I'll usually ignore it.

When I read some high level of nonsense here form someone here whom I know is intelligent enough that they should spread neither misinformation nor disinformation, I'll sometimes respond. Your idea of "meds" is the mind of an ex-newspaperman who looks over SA while I have an hour or two in the mornings. Sorry for bursting any bubbles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out that Heidi Cruz is a managing director of Goldman Sacks (sic!!) in Houston. 

They have controlling interests in several Texas utilities. 

What a coincidence !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Turns out that Heidi Cruz is a managing director of Goldman Sacks (sic!!) in Houston. 

They have controlling interests in several Texas utilities. 

What a coincidence !!

Yeah - if you let parasites own monopolies or quasi-monopolies, don't be surprised when the suck kills the victim.

I told my local MP that if they went ahead with privatising the distribution network I was changing my vote. They did it anyway of course, and so did I. A power grid is a natural monopoly and should be treated as such. Letting private corporations own it without very tight restrictions is begging to be fucked over. Generators are a somewhat different issue as long as the grid operators don't also own generating capacity. That leads to a severe conflict of interest.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Free markets, cold people.  

 

Right Nannygoat? 

Cold people don't even buy you lower rates.  Texas has higher rates than 3 out of 4 neighbors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's going to be a lot of pressure put on the suppliers who used the opportunity to charge the maximum amount, I would think, but for the fact nobody is doing it yet. It's a mystery to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is there such a chasm between what an honest politician would do and what a Texan politician does?  Are they all in the pockets of the energy companies? 

My solution to the gouging, ensure that no one pays a higher bill this year than a year ago.  Levy a 10K fine for each instance with the money going to whatever suitable relief fund exists for this event.  This can be fine-tuned.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, mikewof said:

It seems that "Texas's plight" was used by AOC for her career.

As evidenced by your outright ignorance of the problem, homeless New Yorkers don't actually need millions of dollars.

...did you completely miss how this started? 

She was dragged into it by Texas Republicans' actions: blaming windmills & claiming "AOC's green new deal" would lead to more frequent outages.

What was she supposed to do?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, frenchie said:

...did you completely miss how this started? 

She was dragged into it by Texas Republicans' actions: blaming windmills & claiming "AOC's green new deal" would lead to more frequent outages.

What was she supposed to do?

Disinformation is nothing new, and it isn't just the domain of the righties. I corrected the disinformation of a local radio host on his "blood energy" nonsense with about 30 seconds of conversation. It's my opinion that Ocasio-Cortez has far more pressing issues in The Bronx and Queens and Riker's Island than to get into a shit-fling with some idiots 2,000 miles away with people whom she doesn't represent and many who have no respect for her.

Clean nailed it ... she was promoting her "brand." It's not about public service as much as selling the dogma. That's my opinion, if you disagree, then disagree. But right now, life in Texas is mostly back to normal, and as ever, there are still a few tens of thousands of people in NYC who don't have a place to wash, or a roof over their head, or clean water, or a warm place to sleep, a place to shit, or a safe place for their children. But homeless people don't sell the "brand."

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikewof said:

Disinformation is nothing new,

No, it's not is it Mikey. 

You have been spreading it for most of your adult life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mikewof said:

Disinformation is nothing new, and it isn't just the domain of the righties. I corrected the disinformation of a local radio host on his "blood energy" nonsense with about 30 seconds of conversation. It's my opinion that Ocasio-Cortez has far more pressing issues in The Bronx and Queens and Riker's Island than to get into a shit-fling with some idiots 2,000 miles away with people whom she doesn't represent and many who have no respect for her.

Clean nailed it ... she was promoting her "brand." It's not about public service as much as selling the dogma. That's my opinion, if you disagree, then disagree. But right now, life in Texas is mostly back to normal, and as ever, there are still a few tens of thousands of people in NYC who don't have a place to wash, or a roof over their head, or clean water, or a warm place to sleep, a place to shit, or a safe place for their children. But homeless people don't sell the "brand."

but Ted  posting photos handing out bottles of water after being rumbled for his Cancun bollix up is okay....

How much did AOC raise again.?...while ted was off to his bargain basements $399 dollars a bed hotel  while Texans literally died of hypothermia

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah - if you let parasites own monopolies or quasi-monopolies, don't be surprised when the suck kills the victim.

I told my local MP that if they went ahead with privatising the distribution network I was changing my vote. They did it anyway of course, and so did I. A power grid is a natural monopoly and should be treated as such. Letting private corporations own it without very tight restrictions is begging to be fucked over. Generators are a somewhat different issue as long as the grid operators don't also own generating capacity. That leads to a severe conflict of interest.

FKT

This.  Up here in BC a conservative government attempted to privatize the grid.  The goal was to get electrical utility debt off the government books so they could claim the debt was reduced.  Not many years later they had to reverse the decision and re-integrate the private company into the main electrical utility.  Only cost the taxpayers a hundred million or so.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kind of creepy when middle aged men like Mikey negatively obsess over very young rising progressive female politicians to this extent.

One would think a "lefty" like Mikey would be cheering her on. Very odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

It's kind of creepy when middle aged men like Mikey negatively obsess over very young rising progressive female politicians to this extent.

One would think a "lefty" like Mikey would be cheering her on. Very odd.

Had him on ignore for the better part of covid..  Did he really get a divorce??  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dylan winter said:

but Ted  posting photos handing out bottles of water after being rumbled for his Cancun bollix up is okay....

How much did AOC raise again.?...while ted was off to his bargain basements $399 dollars a bed hotel  while Texans literally died of hypothermia

Progressivism is doomed to failure if we feel the ever-present need to compare our leaders to failure.

Cruz failed. He's a screw-up. Why anyone would feel compelled to compare Ocasio-Cortez to Cruz is beyond me.

As demonstrated by Orwell, if we expect to make progress, we have to be able to critique our leaders. If you disagree, then disagee, but regardless our current tenuous hold on power in Congress and the Senate, the only way we bring lasting change is to use that power to rise above the petty sectarian squabbles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

It's kind of creepy when middle aged men like Mikey negatively obsess over very young rising progressive female politicians to this extent.

One would think a "lefty" like Mikey would be cheering her on. Very odd.

You see a "young rising female" and I see a potential leader of national scale who needs to solve urgent problems in her home district before she can become that national leader.

I've raised two women to adulthood and I've taught them both that they success comes from introspection, hard work and never relying on the things that has men chase them around.

WRT Ocasio-Cortez, you seem to have an oddly sexist attitude to her.

If you had spent time in her district, you might understand. But you haven't, you're just some millionaire in Australia with no skin in this game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Had him on ignore for the better part of covid..  Did he really get a divorce??  

Meli's leering at females and you're gossiping like someone in a hair salon. What the hell has gotten into you two?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Had him on ignore for the better part of covid..  Did he really get a divorce??  

It explains his feelings towards a Hispanic leader who happens to be female...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rain Man said:

This.  Up here in BC a conservative government attempted to privatize the grid.  The goal was to get electrical utility debt off the government books so they could claim the debt was reduced.  Not many years later they had to reverse the decision and re-integrate the private company into the main electrical utility.  Only cost the taxpayers a hundred million or so.  

In the USA, deregulation has pushed our generation to private and decentralized ownership, while the distribution grid is working to shake off their public utility shackles. They increasingly don't want to be in the power generation business because it's far more profitable to be in the power distribution business.

We buy power from Canadian hydrothermal, or rooftop solar, natural gas, wind, legacy nuclear ... whatever goes into the feed lines. Power is cheap because there is a lot of it, and it's getting cheaper all the time as the distribution companies consolidate their political power. They own the lines, the easements, the towers, the right-of-ways.

When my grid connection failed a few years ago in an ice storm, my rooftop solar array fed exactly zero watts into anything, I couldn't use that power, it's a grid-tie system, the DC is converted to AC on the roof in the string inverters and fed into the Xcel grid outside of the house. And 6 kW is a lot of power, more than I actually use. But this is the reality of the emerging renewable energy, it is no longer a threat to the grid owners because they control the distribution. Now, if we all had a switch and a compressed air system that allowed us to use our rooftop solar without the grid, THAT would be a genuine threat, but the existing power purchase laws make that unfeasible.

My fellow lefties' eyes glaze over when we I try to get them to see that all of this "green" renewable future is in fact shackled by China's almost complete control of the Rare Earth Element market. They seem to think that wind power, solar power and ocean power will still work without Chinese REEs. They won't. And the righties are just as bad, they've collectively stuck their heads in the sand to the point of denying this highly economical future of the Low Entropy economy.

So unless we wake up eventually, and stop letting these political scalawags control the conversation with their abject ignorance, driven by personalities rather than specific entropic trends, then our future will be a paradox where our need for low entropy, low carbon power, comes at the price of China owning our grid. And that "blood power" won't be a handful of Texans who poison themselves with carbon monoxide, but rather an economic model built on suppressing the voices, words and lives of those who dare to critique, worship or live as they need ...

0*apwVO9WvEv4zUEE5

Of course, we acquiesce to this industrialized crushing of the human spirit when we allow uneducated nitwits to control the conversation.

The only hope for a humane future of the low-entropy economy is to develop a rare earth industry based on ion polarization extraction rather than mining, because -- as China, Canada, Australia and Brazil have demonstrated in their large-scale contamination of the planet from rudimentary ore extraction and surface leaching, there is no clear way to get these critical elements without poisoning everything in that immediate area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

TED CRUZ MARIACHIS PLAYED FOR DISCOUNT RATE ... Shame on Ted!!!

The mariachi band that made Ted Cruz's stoop a stage performed at a discount, saying the Senator's actions were so despicable, they would've played it for free if they could. TMZ spoke to Jose Antonio Solis of Mariachi Mi Mexico -- the group that brought their song and dance to Cruz's front door Sunday -- and he says they took nearly $100 less than normal for the gig in Ted's well-to-do Houston neighborhood. Normally, Solis says their hourly rate runs $475, but they agreed to $400 flat. Solis says he understands Ted and the fam wanting to get away from the cold, but not when the people Ted represents are dying.

TED CRUZ To Neighbors Who Leaked Texts ... HOW 'BOUT NOT BEING 'A-HOLES'?!?

Ted Cruz thinks those who leaked his wife's texts about their Cancun plans are a bunch of "assholes," but we wonder ... did he stop and look in the mirror before saying this? The Senator from Texas aired his grievances during an appearance on a political podcast called 'Ruthless.' Anyway, he was asked right out the gate about the fallout after being caught fleeing his freezing home state to vacay south of the border. Instead of apologizing and copping to the bad decision ... TC was back to playing the blame game -- this time going after the neighbors who were part of the OG group chat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruz calling someone else an asshole. :lol:

And is it just me or does his house seem kinda nothing for someone who pulls in as much money as he does?

Is he spending it on hookers & blow?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Cruz calling someone else an asshole. :lol:

And is it just me or does his house seem kinda nothing for someone who pulls in as much money as he does?

Is he spending it on hookers & blow?

Maybe he's a sailor?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strike while the iron is hot maybe?

I'm sure money would have/could have been raised, but she stepped in and brought a fundraising need up to another level.

I'm also not mad at the "We Are The World" musicians for raising money for African kids when there were starving kids in their own country.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike G said:

Strike while the iron is hot maybe?

I'm sure money would have/could have been raised, but she stepped in and brought a fundraising need up to another level.

I'm also not mad at the "We Are The World" musicians for raising money for African kids when there were starving kids in their own country.

 

I bet she uses email. Isn’t that just like a democRAT?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I bet she uses email. Isn’t that just like a democRAT?

The ungrateful bitch still has a Twitter account? What's with that? Real leaders don't need Twitter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I'm also not mad at the "We Are The World" musicians for raising money for African kids when there were starving kids in their own country.

I'm a little upset with Stevie for his planning to leave permanently for Ghana and also Tito, well, because he's Tito.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 10:04 AM, shaggy said:

OK, that makes more sense.  The sustained temps will get you the harder ice.  Yours is clear too so it is the good stuff.  The milky stuff is no bueno cause the air that freezes inside makes it less hard.  Ice 101...... LOL

And when it turns blue - you're screwed.

2792a1da-398f-4fb3-98a9-a7c05fd81b80-DSC

Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back on topic, here is a quote in today's New York Times:

“But the government has closed its ears and eyes and doesn’t show any interest in our living conditions.”

Think this is about Texas?

Nope.  It is a Syrian talking about al-Assad's government in Syria.    

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/world/middleeast/syria-assad-economy-food.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Oh, the irony.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Strike while the iron is hot maybe?

I'm sure money would have/could have been raised, but she stepped in and brought a fundraising need up to another level.

I'm also not mad at the "We Are The World" musicians for raising money for African kids when there were starving kids in their own country.

 

If the future of our elected public employees is to be market-driven rather than need-driven, then any politician who prioritizes  marketing and branding above serving the pressing problems and opportunities of their constituency is in fact doing exactly the right thing. The career of Ocasio-Cortez is promising if she can veer away from the status-quo of populism. I hold someone like her to a higher standard than a nitwit like Cruz because she supports my ideals. But it seems that I'm very much in the minority here in that idealism. C'est la vie ... the impact of homelessness in NYC obviously doesn't touch most of the people here.

In your "We Are the World" example, the conditions of African children have and been and are still worse than the condition of "starving" kids in the USA and Europe. Malnutrition in Developing Nations is a pressing need ... unless we decide that it's not actually a pressing need and we decide to spend all of our money on COVID and close to zero on Developing Nations. The whole point of We Are the World was that "nobody cares" (in the words of Clean) about the problems in Developing Nations, so they got a a bunch of pop music from a bunch of celebrities to show an interest and in exchange, about $50 million was set aside for people in Developing Nations.

The problem of homelessness in NYC is far more exacerbated than anything in Texas, and Houston and Austin have -- in many ways -- far more advanced and effective homeless systems, from which NYC could learn. NYC is in a difficult situation, they're a regional destination for homeless and it's cold there. But the opportunity is immense ... there is enormous wealth in NYC and there is really no need for their homelessness to be such a problem, except that "nobody cares" and as shown in this thread, when I suggest that the career of a promising NYC public servant could be built on substance and solving actual problems, the usual suspects and the usual millionaire in Australia spearhead the narrative that I'm detracting from Ocasio-Cortez's accomplishments.

If she could raise money for her market-driven push in a state that she doesn't represent, then should could have raised even more money for the problems in The Bronx, Queens and Riker's Island, a constituency that she does represent. It's opportunity lost. And years from now, when she is competing for the office of President, if NYC is still saturated with people who don't have a roof over their head, or a place to take a shit, or a shower, or a safe place for their children, then some of us might see the limits of market-driven populism over need-driven action. She's capable of more than populism, but populism is what we want. Texas is in the news, we love it! Homeless people in NYC? Old news. Boring. Snoozefest. Can't build market-driven populism on that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

“The future”

pissing myself

Yeah. Because ultimately "nobody cares", right?

Politicians in the USA are no longer public servants, they're now celebrities. If we could market the needs of people in need as well as politicians have marketed themselves, this would be a more comfortable planet for a few billion people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ted Cruz’s latest Cancún spin shows the rot of GOP victimization runs deep

Mark it down. Republicans have hit on a new way to spin away their own screw-ups and scandals: by claiming the media focus on their political travails is driven by the press’s search for a new Republican victim, now that former president Donald Trump has largely exited public life. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) has just road-tested this new line in response to continuing questions about his trip to Cancún during the Texas power shortage, which left millions freezing without power.

This may seem silly and desperate, but it’s worth pausing over because it illustrates a deeper intellectual habit that post-Trump Republicans are increasingly falling back upon, one that is likely to get more widespread. We’re talking here about the relentless instinct to portray Trump as a victim, not just as misdirection, but also as a catchall justification. And this reaches far beyond Cruz’s Cancún excursion. It’s the through line to something of far greater consequence: the GOP escalation of voter suppression and counter-majoritarian tactics in states across the country.

On Monday night, Cruz went on Sean Hannity’s show — a laboratory where pro-Trump propaganda gets manufactured for the GOP base’s consumption in its most unalloyed and poisonous form — and ridiculed the media’s obsession with the Cancún trip.

“The media is suffering from Trump withdrawal, where they’ve attacked Trump every day for four years, they don’t know what to do,” Cruz said. “So they obsess over my taking my girls to the beach.”

This smuggles Trump into the discussion, not just as misdirection, but also as a way to win the sympathy of an audience that can be counted on to believe Trump was unfairly victimized by the media for four years. Cruz and Trump are linked in their victimhood at the hands of the media, which is automatically exonerating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:

Ted Cruz’s latest Cancún spin shows the rot of GOP victimization runs deep

Mark it down. Republicans have hit on a new way to spin away their own screw-ups and scandals: by claiming the media focus on their political travails is driven by the press’s search for a new Republican victim, now that former president Donald Trump has largely exited public life. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) has just road-tested this new line in response to continuing questions about his trip to Cancún during the Texas power shortage, which left millions freezing without power.

This may seem silly and desperate, but it’s worth pausing over because it illustrates a deeper intellectual habit that post-Trump Republicans are increasingly falling back upon, one that is likely to get more widespread. We’re talking here about the relentless instinct to portray Trump as a victim, not just as misdirection, but also as a catchall justification. And this reaches far beyond Cruz’s Cancún excursion. It’s the through line to something of far greater consequence: the GOP escalation of voter suppression and counter-majoritarian tactics in states across the country.

On Monday night, Cruz went on Sean Hannity’s show — a laboratory where pro-Trump propaganda gets manufactured for the GOP base’s consumption in its most unalloyed and poisonous form — and ridiculed the media’s obsession with the Cancún trip.

“The media is suffering from Trump withdrawal, where they’ve attacked Trump every day for four years, they don’t know what to do,” Cruz said. “So they obsess over my taking my girls to the beach.”

This smuggles Trump into the discussion, not just as misdirection, but also as a way to win the sympathy of an audience that can be counted on to believe Trump was unfairly victimized by the media for four years. Cruz and Trump are linked in their victimhood at the hands of the media, which is automatically exonerating.

Chain them together before pushing them overboard. Cruz and Trump are two sides of the same coin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mikewof said:

 

Politicians in the USA are no longer public servants, they're now celebrities.

And when, precisely, do you think this began?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

And when, precisely, do you think this began?

We had that divorced, unsuccessful "B" movie star.  Tricky dick received no respect from the retired General.

Why are warriors given credence?  It is part of the absurdity of the human condition.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the current mental acuity of the average American, this pretty much had to happen. As Ben said in another thread, we're fucked.

Fake snow? Conspiracy theory claims Texas weather ‘government-generated’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-snow-conspiracy-theory-tiktok-b1805616.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bhyde said:

Considering the current mental acuity of the average American, this pretty much had to happen. As Ben said in another thread, we're fucked.

Fake snow? Conspiracy theory claims Texas weather ‘government-generated’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-snow-conspiracy-theory-tiktok-b1805616.html

You can't fix stupid, and it looks like there is plenty to go around.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta wonder if it's fake dog piss that turns the fake snow yellow....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two million Texans get their electricity from co-ops . . . (thanks FDR !!) 

They did have outages in the storm, mostly due to icing on the lines they say. 

And they do not bribe pols very often. 

Time to bring back the co-operative commonwealth 

https://www.electric.coop/winter-weather-leads-to-power-outages-for-millions-in-texas-across-nation

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike G said:

Strike while the iron is hot maybe?

I'm sure money would have/could have been raised, but she stepped in and brought a fundraising need up to another level.

I'm also not mad at the "We Are The World" musicians for raising money for African kids when there were starving kids in their own country.

 

Or people who invest their time and money on African projects when there are people in their own state desperately  in need of the same Employee owned projects to lift them out of abject poverty?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

And when, precisely, do you think this began?

Teddy Roosevelt showed how it was done, Kennedy opened the door a crack, Reagan exploited it and broke the door off the hinges.

If we appointed our Presidents by randomly choosing from the pool of all public servants, we would probably get better results than we have.

Link to post
Share on other sites