Sailing in Raleigh?

Can't personally speak to the lake sailing around there, but Raleigh is two hours away from great sailing on the Pamlico and Neuse Rivers (large estuaries). Are you relocating from Austin? Eons ago I used to sail a Hobie 16 on Lake Travis.

All correct. I lived in the Raleigh area for many years. It's a great place as long as you don't mind lake sailing. We had many a fine sailing weekend.

Carolina Sailing Club (mentioned above) runs a good series. It's all trailerable boats. There is a marina for small keelboats at Lake Jordan; there are a couple of marinas with slips at Kerr Lake.

FB- Doug

There aren't any clubs with property at the 2 major lakes in central NC (Kerr and Jordan) the shoreline is all owned/managed by Army Corps of Engineers. Trailer boat racing is from public boat ramps. No year-round waterfront club with boat launch and storage is the biggest impediment to dinghy race participation in my opinion.

Kerr Lake has several marinas with slips and there is some keelboat racing but I don't really know about that scene. Jordan Lake has 1 marina but it is behind a 25ish foot bridge from the main sailing area. There is no "big" boat racing at Jordan.

If I was to choose an inland location in NC/SC based only on club facilities it would be somewhere close to Lake Hartwell WCSC at SC/GA border. Major downvote for being a red clay lake there but you can't have everything.

Lake Norman near Charlotte has a few waterfront clubs but never been to them.

Of course it all depends on what your druthers are, but at 2 hours away, Washington, NC on the Pamlico and New Bern or Oriental on the Neuse are nice places to keep a boat for weekend sailing on big (brackish) water.

2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

There aren't any clubs with property at the 2 major lakes in central NC (Kerr and Jordan) the shoreline is all owned/managed by Army Corps of Engineers. Trailer boat racing is from public boat ramps. No year-round waterfront club with boat launch and storage is the biggest impediment to dinghy race participation in my opinion.

Kerr Lake has several marinas with slips and there is some keelboat racing but I don't really know about that scene. Jordan Lake has 1 marina but it is behind a 25ish foot bridge from the main sailing area. There is no "big" boat racing at Jordan.

If I was to choose an inland location in NC/SC based only on club facilities it would be somewhere close to Lake Hartwell WCSC at SC/GA border. Major downvote for being a red clay lake there but you can't have everything.

Lake Norman near Charlotte has a few waterfront clubs but never been to them.

I'm a member of Lake Norman Yacht Club - a very active racing club with a good junior program as well.  A little bit of a hike from Raleigh - about 2:45.  Many people camp on the weekends - lot of room for such plus there are semi-permanent camper/small RV lots with power...   www.lakenormanyc.org

• Like 1

a little out of the box, but you're +- 3 hours to Hampton

• Like 1

Ah yes...Raleigh-Durham; " Halfway between the mountains and the sea!", or as many say; "the middle of nowhere". 

We tried sailing Kerr Lake for a year, and then moved the boat to Wrightsville Beach.

• Like 2
On 2/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, Israel Hands said:

Can't personally speak to the lake sailing around there, but Raleigh is two hours away from great sailing on the Pamlico and Neuse Rivers (large estuaries). Are you relocating from Austin? Eons ago I used to sail a Hobie 16 on Lake Travis.

Thanks guys for the thoughts! And yes I'm getting an offer to relocate but love my Austin Yacht Club on lake Travis!! And I come from Dinghy sailing but have a Corsair now. Seems like it would be a pretty odd ball boat there..... I did buy my Weta on the Outer Banks on Duck... But that's a long haul out there. Not sure what I'll do but doesn't seem ideal for me.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:34 PM, Israel Hands said:

^^yes that, and also there's Kerr Lake on the Virginia border, maybe 1:20 from Raleigh. I think Bull City might sail there.

I think so too.

I sail pretty frequently with a friend who keeps his boat in Whortonsville, which is on the Neuse River, down stream for Oriental, so it's closer to the sound. It's a 2.5 to 3.0 hour drive, so it's an weekend type thing, which means a bigger boat, etc.

For me and my boat, Kerr Lake works pretty well. It's about an hour's easy drive. I enjoy the sailing, but it's not like coastal sailing.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:07 PM, DaveK said:

Thanks guys for the thoughts! And yes I'm getting an offer to relocate but love my Austin Yacht Club on lake Travis!! And I come from Dinghy sailing but have a Corsair now. Seems like it would be a pretty odd ball boat there..... I did buy my Weta on the Outer Banks on Duck... But that's a long haul out there. Not sure what I'll do but doesn't seem ideal for me.

Check out the Governors Cup on Kerr Lake in June.  I did the event in a Laser 2 years ago.  There were multiple fleets including a decent sized Weta fleet, (the only time I've seen one at a regatta venue in NC, SC or GA in the last 10 years).  I love the undeveloped Corp lakes.  Far less nutty power boat traffic and the camp sites are great.

The 1 or 2 sailing clubs in the area are "Paper" clubs.  No facilities so you'll be trailering everywhere.  

Having lived in Dallas in the late 90's early 2000's I will say NC sailing does not hold a candle to the caliber of sailing you see on the Southwest Circuits.  They also don't get that fantastic thermal breeze that makes it all the way to Dallas from the Gulf giving you that near year round 15-20 South breeze.

13 hours ago, TarheelSailor said:

Jordan Lake at Bells, NC today. The Crosswinds Boating Center is mostly under water as well. No lake sailing today.

66B45B0A-905A-4CDF-AC8F-6ADF85CB598F.jpeg

We had this a couple of years ago on Kerr lake.  Lots of camp grounds flooded and reservations cancelled by the state management folks.

There are 3 very active clubs on Lake Norman for Keelboats and Sport boats, Out Rigger Yacht Club, Lake Norman Yacht Club (as mentioned earlier), and The Peninsular Yacht Club. For dinghy's there is Lake Norman Yacht Club, Peninsular Yacht Club and Lake Norman Sailing Community. We race pretty much all year round and there is a race to be had pretty much every weekend. We also have a very active Wednesday night series spring to fall. As for mooring a boat there are 6 to 7 marinas i can think of and im probably missing a few.

Food for thought

Neil

On 2/22/2021 at 12:25 PM, svitale said:

William Nealy's Corps of ENGINEERS SOUTHERN Recreational Lake Theorem

Thou shall not have to travel further than 50 miles in any direction without encountering a large lake.

This is central to the bass fishing industry (boats, fish finders, lure, etc.) business plan as elaborated in Carl Hiaasen's "Double Whammy."