Jump to content

Retro Boat - Oddities


Recommended Posts

Some boats I don't see much in real life, but would like to see on Retro Boat

  • Kool Boat: How many packs did you need to smoke to get a free boat?
  • J/24: Everyone loves to hate the J/24, but probably the easiest boat to get a ride on during the plague
  • Any 12 meter or IACC basket case, for the ambitious DIYer
  • MacGregor 26x: ideally with the largest possible outboard at max throttle
  • MacGregor 65: ultimate ULDB on a budget
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We're definitely getting treated to the SoCal retro boat scene, for that I'm grateful.  But if we're going to want to see retro boats from around the US and beyond, we may have to fire up Ed's Patreon.

There are some cool retro boats in my neck of the woods that I'd like to see featured, S&S Pilot 33, Morgan 42, Morgan 27, Cal25 (there are probably some of those in Cali), NA40, list goes on.  But Like I said, I think that Patreon would need to generate a travel budget for Ed and the production crew, probably not going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see the Mac65. I always thought it was a cool boat. Also:

Soverel 33

C&C 35MKIII (arguably the last TRUE racer/cruiser)

Mumm 36

1D35 (hydraulic forestay and no backstay was super cool in its time)

Henderson 30

Farr 40 with that ridiculously large wheel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, apophenia said:

Some boats I don't see much in real life, but would like to see on Retro Boat

  • MacGregor 65: ultimate ULDB on a budget

maybe Tom can help with that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 'Bacco said:

I would love to see the Mac65. I always thought it was a cool boat. Also:

Soverel 33

C&C 35MKIII (arguably the last TRUE racer/cruiser)

Mumm 36

1D35 (hydraulic forestay and no backstay was super cool in its time)

Henderson 30

Farr 40 with that ridiculously large wheel.

I can volunteer mine after the plague goes away and we let Seppos back in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I can volunteer mine after the plague goes away and we let Seppos back in.

I'd hoped that the "Seppo" term would be confined to OZ but no, it has spread like a certain virus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I find it kind of lame.

Rhyming slang was originally created by the absolute lowest social order in England - the Cockneys.

Sort of like having Hillbillies or Swamp Creatures driving slang in the States.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind seeing Ed going 25kts in a Mac26X with a 60hp outboard on it. I've never seen the inside of one and a video seems like an appropriate way to do it.

What I'd really like it to see the Tally Ho episode once Leo finishes it :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I'd hoped that the "Seppo" term would be confined to OZ but no, it has spread like a certain virus.

Whistler is overrun with Australians and their slang has been spilling out. There's a pub and ski run in Whistler called Seppo's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, climenuts said:

Whistler is overrun with Australians and their slang has been spilling out. There's a pub and ski run in Whistler called Seppo's.

That's actually named after a Finnish Whistler resident who cleared some of the runs:

https://blog.whistlermuseum.org/2012/05/26/just-another-day-in-paradise-seppo-jalmari-makinen-1928-1999/

I skied his run a lot BITD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 'Bacco said:

I would love to see the Mac65. I always thought it was a cool boat.

It isn't. There's a reason it was called the Flexible Flyer except it didn't really fly very well. If you think a Santa Cruz 70 doesn't sail upwind well, Multiply it times 3 for the Mac 65. If you tried to tension the forestay, instead, what you got was a banana-shaped hull. There is a reason why none of these have been raced since 1984.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

 Flexible Flyer 

Heh.  I did a cabo race on one of the early ones.  Was sitting in the companionway at one point just sorta watching things as the boat took off down a wave.  You could literally see the forward third of the boat torque as the bow dug in, and then feel the rest of the boat snap back into line when the stern broke free.

Very disconcerting.

I'm told later models had additional stiffening.  No personal knowledge, I never set foot on another one after that trip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 5:49 PM, sledracr said:

Heh.  I did a cabo race on one of the early ones.  Was sitting in the companionway at one point just sorta watching things as the boat took off down a wave.  You could literally see the forward third of the boat torque as the bow dug in, and then feel the rest of the boat snap back into line when the stern broke free.

Very disconcerting.

I'm told later models had additional stiffening.  No personal knowledge, I never set foot on another one after that trip.

Very disheartening but pretty common in ULDB's. My C&C Mega 30 does the same thing and a friend has a Olson 30 and he says it does it also. He has a "Beam of Destiny" installed in his Olson. It is a beam running from chain plate to chain plate there to prevent the hull from flexing inboard at the chain plates enough to visibly move the mast. It was not a factory beam but a common user modification. 

I would say the most likely reason you don't see them racing anymore is that technology has moved on. They were very fast boats for the time but better stiffer lighter designs have been introduced since this thing was designed 35 years ago.

https://www.jordanyachts.com/2739

 

JJ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, apophenia said:

Some boats I don't see much in real life, but would like to see on Retro Boat

  • Kool Boat: How many packs did you need to smoke to get a free boat?
  • J/24: Everyone loves to hate the J/24, but probably the easiest boat to get a ride on during the plague
  • Any 12 meter or IACC basket case, for the ambitious DIYer
  • MacGregor 26x: ideally with the largest possible outboard at max throttle
  • MacGregor 65: ultimate ULDB on a budget

yea they need to do the mac26 just because its SA most hated boated, it could provide hours of ridicule 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 10:33 AM, climenuts said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Ed going 25kts in a Mac26X with a 60hp outboard on it. I've never seen the inside of one and a video seems like an appropriate way to do it.

What I'd really like it to see the Tally Ho episode once Leo finishes it :) 

theres one on a trailer down the street from me. the silly little ropes that raise and lower the twin rudders

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...