Vaccine (non-we hope) anarchy..

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:
20 hours ago, Dorado said:

Which one, Bus ?

I had the first Pfizer shot 2 days ago. 2nd coming April 6. Something to look forward to . . . ?

Beer sez it was Moderna. I had  the same reaction as BD. 

Correct-a-mundo.  Moderna.

My wife was talking with a doc from JHU who described this as an "enthusiastic" immune response, and said I probably wouldn't get these symptoms.  Seems younger folk get this more than older folk.  About to turn 60, I had myself placed more toward the latter.  Seems the vaccine mistook my emotional age for my chronologic age.

My wife maintains I am stuck at 14.

• Like 1

I get two pings every morning reminding me of this app:

“CA Notify uses Bluetooth signals to exchange anonymous keys (random strings of numbers) and information about signal strength, date and duration between your device and other users. CA Notify alerts you if you were near another user who tested positive for COVID-19.”

Anyone hook this up?

18 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Correct-a-mundo.  Moderna.

My wife was talking with a doc from JHU who described this as an "enthusiastic" immune response, and said I probably wouldn't get these symptoms.  Seems younger folk get this more than older folk.  About to turn 60, I had myself placed more toward the latter.  Seems the vaccine mistook my emotional age for my chronologic age.

My wife maintains I am stuck at 14.

Yeah, me too, at almost 80. And it isn't just us: Biden calls Putin a killer, and Putin comes back with, "It takes one to know one." What. The. Actual. Fuck?

On 3/11/2021 at 10:14 PM, Left Shift said:

Sign me up for that side effect.  No other significant symptoms, but two nights of very vivid dreams, with whole plots and odd, but consistent urban landscapes.  

With shot number two, do I get to go waterskiing with Scarlett Johanssen?  

Well, just got shot number two and prepping for the dream sequence.  I may have to stream an Avengers movie tonight, or maybe Black Dahlia or Ghost in the Shell, or maybe...just listen to Her. 

On 2/21/2021 at 12:53 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

fucking ridiculous, the rest of the world must look at the deeply ingrained self imposed ignorance of such a large portion of our society and thank their maker daily that we haven't nuked them into the stone age accidentally in the last 60 years or so

being anti-vaccination is a dangerous fashion statement born of ignorance really as any fears about are not based on any facts or statistics

if you are the parents of a child in California who has gotten a waiver in getting your kids vaccinated for MMR and Polio then you should thank the other 98% of Californians who had themselves and their kids vaccinated did because thats why your kids have an almost certain chance of NOT contracting polio

Hope your son doesn't go on vacation and get mumps as an adult.

2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:
On 2/21/2021 at 12:53 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

fucking ridiculous, the rest of the world must look at the deeply ingrained self imposed ignorance of such a large portion of our society and thank their maker daily that we haven't nuked them into the stone age accidentally in the last 60 years or so

being anti-vaccination is a dangerous fashion statement born of ignorance really as any fears about are not based on any facts or statistics

if you are the parents of a child in California who has gotten a waiver in getting your kids vaccinated for MMR and Polio then you should thank the other 98% of Californians who had themselves and their kids vaccinated did because thats why your kids have an almost certain chance of NOT contracting polio

Expand  

why dose that notte sounde sincere.....?

14 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Not possible, but me too!

All vaccinations present and accounted for in my house, just waiting for the COVID vaccine to waterfall down the champagne glasses low enough get to us.

22 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Well, just got shot number two and prepping for the dream sequence.  I may have to stream an Avengers movie tonight, or maybe Black Dahlia or Ghost in the Shell, or maybe...just listen to Her. 

Sad to report no vaccine-induced dreams of Scarlett water-skiing.  But what is the meaning of a dream where a legal case against pederasty occurs during a snowball fight all based on a NY Times connect-the-dots puzzle?   Please bring on Scarlett next time.

Got the Pfizer shot #2 on Saturday the 27thh, 21 days after the first shot on the 6th.

Got a text from Hobot on the 18th after I messaged him on the 16th to ask when and if Scot was going to restore the Random pic thread.

Hobot's reply, " I've been really sick over the past 10-12 days. Quit eating food and barely could drink liquids. Got completely dehydrated."

I replied,"WTF!"

Hobot replied, "I'm in the hospital now at Swedish in Edmonds. Turns out I have COVID-19. Can you please come visit."

I explain, "Hospitals don't allow visitors with COVID-19 spreading like it is."

Hobot replies, "That must be why Hope(his partner) hasn't visited."

I ask, "How and where did you get it."

Hobot replies, "I don't know. I was so very careful with isolation, wearing a mask, washing my hands - barely leaving the house and still get taken down."

Friday the 18th I text, "How you doing this morning."

Hobot replies, "I now have pneumonia. I found out through a Facebook post last night (on his sister's page) my Mom passed away a few days ago and they didn't tell me - family is such a weird organization."

I reply," Well that's not what I want to hear - you with pneumonia! I'm sorry about the loss of your Mom, my sincere condolences." Then we banter back and forth for a while, but even texting Hobot tires quickly. I close with "Stay positive, Stay Strong, Hope needs you!"

Next morning I text, "How you doing today?"

Hobot replies, "Rough, they keep threating me with intubation. NFW am I going that direction."

I ask, "What meds?

Hobot replies, "All these wires, hoses and tubes I'm plugged into keep getting tangled. It all sucks" He sends a picture, I will not share, showing the wires, hoses and tubes plus Hobot wearing the clear face mask of a ventilator.

I reply, "Holy phuck - stay elevated. What meds?"

Hobot replies, "Other then the meds I was already on... not sure all the new stuff. Oxygen level was at 96% and I dropped to 79%. Supposed to take off this mask to eat and drink." A bit more banter back and forth, then nothing till..."I just got a strong lecture. Stern lecture."

I reply, "From a nurse."

He replies, "From a Doctor. My daytime Nurse I'm not cool with. No bedside manner. Night time Nurse is way cool. Going back to sleep now"

The next day text, "How's it going this morning?"

Hobot replies, "My oxygen falls quickly out of the 90s when I take this mask off. They're dumping as much oxygen and meds in me as they can.  Nest step is intubation, which scare the hell out of me. There's no knowing how long I will be under. To be honest, I'm pretty scared.'' We banter back and forth a bit, then discuss his meds again. He finishes with, "This is a bit of an adventure I'm on. I just don't want to be put out and have more hoses and an intubator jammed down my throat"

I reply, "Stay strong and positive, eat and stay hydrated."

Hobot replies, "It's pretty hard. I have to work on my breathing. Getting a deep breath is pretty impossible - makes me cough. But I can tell I'm using my lungs more today then yesterday, when I was barely using 10%. The big push is for me to lay on my belly, so my lungs get more of a workout. So that's my next thing."

At this point I realize they're preparing him for intubation.

I reply, "We need you to stay strong mentally and keep fighting. They'll probably put you under so you can fight this better. Stay strong. Hope needs you to get through this." We bantered back and forth a bit, then he had to sleep and rest. 

They intubated Hobot. I've been talking with Hope, who talks with his Doctor daily since. Yesterday they were finally able to reduce the oxygen their giving him, and he's maintaining in the 90s by his own accord - but he's still intubated. Send good thoughts or a say a little prayer, even if you don't usually pray. Pics of Hobot doing bow at the 2007 Six-Meter King Olaf Cup sponsored by Port Madison Yacht Club aboard SOCKEYE.   

6-meterb.jpg

6-meter.jpg

6-meterc.jpg

Oh shit. Thanks for the update, Boomer. Being able to keep his oxygen saturation up without supplemental oxygen is a very good thing but he's not out of the woods until they can get him off that vent. Please keep us apprised.

Scot, it would be a great gesture if you had the Random Pic thread back online for Hobot when he recovers... 

• Like 2

The least I could do. I thought Hope was posting about Hobot, and she asked my wife yesterday, if I'd post something here on SA. 

The best I could come up with to explain, was our texts back and forth the last week. They let Hope speak with him virtually yesterday. Hope was intubated several months ago for different reasons, and remembers she could hear Hobot and her brother talking to her. Hence she requested to speak to Hobot, virtually via his phone.

Medical historians state the greatest advancement in medicine, is vaccinations. Amazing the amount of people who say they won't vaccinate. Only 5 reactions per million with the Pfizer Vaccine. My shot card in the service shows 42 vaccinations and booster follow ups before deployment. Never one reaction, other then a sore arm. I should note the second greatest advancement in the 20th Century after vaccinations is legalized abortion. Every major hospital had a sepsis ward before legalized abortion. None of us would consider an abortion by a loved one, unless to save the loved one's life. Those who need legal abortions the most are the poorest of the poor, in the poorest red-lined neighborhoods.

• Like 1

My wife and I finally got our second dose.  The steady, nagging fear of what Hobot's experiencing is slowly starting to lift.  There are holes in our lives and experiences that we have missed and people who are gone forever. 

Hang in there Hobot.  You have provided much pleasure to this group of keyboard sailors.

I got my first shot today. My wife was supposed to be with me, but she had a stomach bug, and opted out... I'm very sorry that she did that. I do feel like I got kicked in the shoulder by whores..... Er..... A horse, but it's no worse than a tetanus booster.

Pfizer shot #2 done and dusted today. Household all done now, couple weeks and we should be all set.

• Like 1

Back in the late 1950s and early '60s, there were a bunch of psycho-social experiments done with mice and it turns out that when they live in overcrowding, regardless of food supply, they start getting weird and anti-social and destructive and eventually violent.

Since this disruption of their social life usually interfered with breeding before they got to the point of strangling each other with their tiny hands, there were only a few experiments that pushed beyond the point where their population collapsed due to their own behavior. But it got really scary.

I've suspected for years that humans are pushing that threshold.

"In a technologically advanced, industrialized, heavily inter-dependent, socio-economic system... how did people get so goddam STUPID!!?!?"

- DSK

7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Back in the late 1950s and early '60s, there were a bunch of psycho-social experiments done with mice and it turns out that when they live in overcrowding, regardless of food supply, they start getting weird and anti-social and destructive and eventually violent.

Since this disruption of their social life usually interfered with breeding before they got to the point of strangling each other with their tiny hands, there were only a few experiments that pushed beyond the point where their population collapsed due to their own behavior. But it got really scary.

I've suspected for years that humans are pushing that threshold.

"In a technologically advanced, industrialized, heavily inter-dependent, socio-economic system... how did people get so goddam STUPID!!?!?"

- DSK

Practice

On 2/20/2021 at 5:26 AM, Steam Flyer said:

A lot of good data coming out. But none of it really contradicts the basics- the population needs to reach > 80% acquired immunity, either thru infection+recovery or vaccine, before it drops from being a pandemic to an endemic illness.

~ 42 million USAnians vaccinated, per the news this morning. Apparently ~ 20 million doses floating somewhere between the factories and the state distributors. So the effort is ramping up and we can knock this thing down in a few months.

Unfortunately pop polls seem to show ~ 30% of USAnians refuse to be vaccinated. That's going to hurt

- DSK

On 2/21/2021 at 9:53 AM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

There are always some who are afraid of their own shadows.

As for your Nuking comment. I would be more afraid of Russia, Pakistan, India, North Korea and China launching first. Most of our presidents have seemed pretty stable, until now.

I finally got my first dose of Pfizer on Wednesday the 31st, did not feel a thing until the next day. It felt like someone punched me in the arm. The next day It was black and blue where the shot was administered.  2nd dose is in 19 days.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

As for your Nuking comment. I would be more afraid of Russia, Pakistan, India, North Korea and China launching first. Most of our presidents have seemed pretty stable, until now.

I finally got my first dose of Pfizer on Wednesday the 31st, did not feel a thing until the next day. It felt like someone punched me in the arm. The next day It was black and blue where the shot was administered.  2nd dose is in 19 days.

I can't agree MORE with your first statement!!  'Muricans are in a race to the bottom, on many fronts, and will soon be eclipsed by China, and others, as a leading world power, and country to be envied by others.   The fact that so many morons in our Country will refuse the vaccine, is telling, in many ways.  We will soon be a has-been world power......

I was told the Pfizer vaccine was one shot only?  And this was from the people who gave us our 2nd Moderna shots this morning.  After 2 weeks, we can closely socialize with other vaccinated people, without wearing a mask, or social distancing.

Get the shots if ya want

BUT Understand

it's not permanent

it's not good for a year

Might be good up to as long as 6 months

No One knows Exactly the WTF About any part of all this

if you don't get vaccinated again in 3-4 months you may not be any better off than someone w/o the vaccine

then those like me who actually had COVID are good for ?????????????????

can the vaccine cancel out the antibodies created by surviving COVID

How long do either last ???

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/coronavirus/california-leaders-monitor-possible-spring-covid-19-surge/

California leaders monitor possible spring COVID-19 surge

by: Ashley Zavala

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 / 08:11 AM PDT / Updated: Apr 2, 2021 / 08:22 AM PDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KRON) — California leaders are weighing in on the possibility of a spring surge of COVID-19.

This comes after the CDC director warned of impending doom with COVID-19 cases increasing across the country.

California is now tracking seven different strains of COVID-19. And while excitement grows over expanded vaccine eligibility in the state, the governor is urging caution.

“Now is not the time to announce mission accomplished,” Gov. Newsom said.

With one of the lowest COVID-19 positivity rates in the country and more than 18 million vaccine doses distributed, California leaders say they see a bright light up ahead.

But there is a lingering concern.

“These variants having an impact on states large and small.”

Related Content

State leaders say California is seeing several cases of four concerning variants of COVID-19, including 854 cases of the U.K. variant, 35 Brazilian, 10 South African and about 9,300 West Coast.

After getting his vaccine in Los Angeles Thursday, Newsom pointed back to the variants when asked about the possibility of a spring surge.

“We’re very mindful, we’re very concerned about these mutations,” he said.

The governor’s warning comes as the majority of California further reopens for business, a move prompted by overall low COVID-19 case rates and increased vaccine distribution.

But if the variants become problematic for the state’s progress, Newsom noted California’s Blue Print for Reopening includes rules to rollback.

“We have the capacity — not on whim, not on political considerations — but on the basis of serosurveillance, transmission rates, case transmission rates and equity component to move in whatever direction is necessary,” he said.

California leaders are optimistic as they still expect larger shipments of the vaccine between this week and next with about 5 million more doses coming into the state.

The governor said the manufacturing issue that halted shipments of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for now is not affecting California’s supply.

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Get the shots if ya want

BUT Understand....

OK!  Great!  Another source of a highly trained epidemiologist giving us the benefit of his years of training and experience.  

Mikey's right down the hall.  You should team on your next research project. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Good news. 

For those among us complaining about "impermanence".  It is kind of hard for the researchers and manufacturer's to project a much longer effective life than six months when...wait for it...the vaccines haven't been around any longer than that.  

4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I was told the Pfizer vaccine was one shot only?  And this was from the people who gave us our 2nd Moderna shots this morning.  After 2 weeks, we can closely socialize with other vaccinated people, without wearing a mask, or social distancing.

Unless something has changed, Pfizer is two shots, J&J is a one-shot deal.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Good news. 

For those among us complaining about "impermanence".  It is kind of hard for the researchers and manufacturer's to project a much longer effective life than six months when...wait for it...the vaccines haven't been around any longer than that.  

They started to doing their second round of trials in July of 2020  in phase two of the three phase trials with over 44,000 participants.

PFIZER AND BIONTECH ANNOUNCE PUBLICATION OF RESULTS FROM LANDMARK PHASE 3 TRIAL OF BNT162B2 COVID-19 VACCINE CANDIDATE IN THE NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Yes, I was mistaken, J&J 1 shot.   But we may need another Moderna shot ns 6 months again?  I am okay with that, but it would be useful to have some more longer term details available, but perhaps that is not possible yet???

2 hours ago, boomer said:

They started to doing their second round of trials in July of 2020  in phase two of the three phase trials with over 44,000 participants.

PFIZER AND BIONTECH ANNOUNCE PUBLICATION OF RESULTS FROM LANDMARK PHASE 3 TRIAL OF BNT162B2 COVID-19 VACCINE CANDIDATE IN THE NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE

Yep.  That was directed at emergency usage approval, so they didn't go through all the standard protocols of testing, which ultimately include such things as real-time shelf life and long term efficacy.  The proved short-term efficacy in adults and minimal side effects and starting sticking it in adult arms.  Which was the right thing to do.   My point was, as you show. that you can't demonstrate long term efficacy with 6 months of experience.

Now, with some breathing room and time, Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, Astra, etc. are looking at long-term effectiveness, booster requirements, efficacy and tolerance in youth, efficacy and tolerance in infants, efficacy against variants, etc., etc., the normal stuff they do to secure FDA approval and labelling.  

In the meantime, you hear things like "But understand...it's not permanent!"   Sigh.

(I remember my first experience designing an R&D lab with a real-time stability testing room.  You guessed it.  Shelves in a closet.  Put the drugs in there and wait two years.  The only trick was emergency back-up power to assure reasonably constant temperature and humidity.  And base-isolating the structure so the damn bottles didn't fall over in an earthquake and ruin 10 years of research.)

• Like 1

Did you read the papers on it? They've maintained all the protocol within the timeline.

And yes, it will take more time as with any vaccination to meet all the protocols. 

Besides, If we have to get vaccinated again - I was expecting as much.

If we have to get another shot in six months, even if it's every six months, I am okay with that.  We went to our local pub, the Black Seal yesterday, around 5 PM, and by chance, we met some old friends who we have not seen in a year due to Covid.  It was very nice to reconnect, and feel some semblance of normalcy that has been missing for the past year......

When comparing vaccines...............its difficult if not impossible for a variety of reasons to try to use the media reports to compare one against another. It is in fact difficult even without the media induced confusion. This short 7 minute video does a really great job of sorting though those questions. For us the decision was based largely on availability. Mrs PB got the J&J which I was aiming at but was not available when my situation allowed so I went with Moderna. This short video is simply to help understand why the media bounces around this report of superiority to that that one and how meaningless it is to try to compare endpoints in the various studies. The critical issue is.......get one. 

• Like 2
On 4/2/2021 at 9:58 AM, Meat Wad said:

On 4/2/2021 at 11:01 AM, billy backstay said:

I can't agree MORE with your first statement!!  'Muricans are in a race to the bottom, on many fronts, and will soon be eclipsed by China, and others, as a leading world power, and country to be envied by others.   The fact that so many morons in our Country will refuse the vaccine, is telling, in many ways.  We will soon be a has-been world power......

19 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

It will be interesting in a year. My wife got the 2 shot Moderna and I got Phizer. Our innoculations are about 1 month apart. She just got her second and when I got my first. and yes J&J is the only 1 shot.

Now Billy, you gotta stop with the denigrating of Americans by calling us names. It is only the fact that history repeats itself, that another country will rise to the top. In the past Empires were created by wars. In this new modern age empires are created by economic wars. It's really too bad that Freedom is an Idea that many do not value. Most of the great ideas that have helped the Human race came from free thinkers, not oppressed people.

I am a fan of the Chinese people but not the Communist Party. When someone like Jack Ma, Chairman of Alibaba Group, gets shackled and put in a re-education camp. it is a sign the leaders (dicktators....pun intended) are afraid of the people and will ultimately fail. we have seen this in history in every totalitarian regime. 

If anyone wants China to lead the world, they should also think that we would be better off if the Nazi had won WW2. Because the CCP are the new Nazi Party.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

The critical issue is.......get one. 

Bingo

My office is two weeks away from 90% vaccination.  We are planning on re-opening on May 1st.  5:00 Beer Friday on the 7th is going to taste so good after 14 months.  

5 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Now Billy, you gotta stop with the denigrating of Americans by calling us names. It is only the fact that history repeats itself, that another country will rise to the top. In the past Empires were created by wars. In this new modern age empires are created by economic wars. It's really too bad that Freedom is an Idea that any do not value. Most of the great ideas that have helped the Human race came from free thinkers, not oppressed people.

I am only calling out what I can see as true as the nose on my face.......

6 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I am a fan of the Chinese people but not the Communist Party. When someone like Jack Ma, Chairman of Alibaba Group, gets shackled and put in a re-education camp. it is a sign the leaders (dicktators....pun intended) are afraid of the people and will ultimately fail. we have seen this in history in every totalitarian regime. 

I dunno, China has hung [!] in there quite a while and getting stronger and richer by the day.

What else ya got on the vaccine front? 

18 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I am only calling out what I can see as true as the nose on my face.......

Well maybe it's an East Coast thing.

Things are going well over here in NZ. Broke through the first 1% at last. The software they bought to cover the first vaccinations had a small bug where you could see everyone's details, plus change their appointment times. Even set them to anytime out of hours...

Still waiting for our own software bunnies to get the real thing going to track our huge population once they finally move onto the big event.

My understanding is due to age and health problem I should be getting done some time in April. Assuming nothing goes wrong with the software or organisation. So thanks all you lab rats for testing this shit out for me.

17 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

arMn1z5_460swp.webp

oh yeah......   

got #1 Pfizer... #2 is a week from Tuesday. 

Variation on a theme ....

image.png.0021ba769565c0f08a52bf7d3c773e71.png

On 4/3/2021 at 12:21 PM, Point Break said:

When comparing vaccines...............its difficult if not impossible for a variety of reasons to try to use the media reports to compare one against another. It is in fact difficult even without the media induced confusion. This short 7 minute video does a really great job of sorting though those questions. For us the decision was based largely on availability. Mrs PB got the J&J which I was aiming at but was not available when my situation allowed so I went with Moderna. This short video is simply to help understand why the media bounces around this report of superiority to that that one and how meaningless it is to try to compare endpoints in the various studies. The critical issue is.......get one. 

Thanks for posting that!

• Downvote 1
3 hours ago, Gissie said:

So thanks all you lab rats for testing this shit out for me.

You Beta believe it !!

Had moderna #1 on Tuesday.    It plumb knocked me  out and I was useless on Wednesday spent all day in bed, felt like I had covid all over again.  Hot/cold, body aches, etc,  75% on Thursday, and maybe 90% on Friday.   My left shoulder is still sore.

not looking forward to shot number 2

A19AEF0D-BB63-4E48-9ED8-591A83545B1E.jpeg

4 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Had moderna #1 on Tuesday.    It plumb knocked me  out and I was useless on Wednesday spent all day in bed, felt like I had covid all over again.  Hot/cold, body aches, etc,  75% on Thursday, and maybe 90% on Friday.   My left shoulder is still sore.

On the up side, your robust immune response may mean you have good protection......for a while anyway! 

Nothing wrong with a little fuzzy. Through in a little warm and it’s all good. I get my first Pfizer dose Monday morning. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I know this was meant to be funny, and it is, in a certain perspective.

But it really kinda-sorta speaks to me on some level.

I've not gotten it yet.  So far it has not been available, but now I am on a list to get a shot.   But honestly I'm a bit conflicted.

I did watch PB's video above, and I do understand it, and it's compelling purpose for why.

I do not however trust at all the science behind a rushed formula vaccine.  PharmaBro's raking in billions.  

Please don't pile on with comments like "It is a selfish attitude to not get a vaccine".  I will probably get it...  But I am certainly not happy about it.

26 minutes ago, Windward said:

I know this was meant to be funny, and it is, in a certain perspective.

But it really kinda-sorta speaks to me on some level.

I've not gotten it yet.  So far it has not been available, but now I am on a list to get a shot.   But honestly I'm a bit conflicted.

I did watch PB's video above, and I do understand it, and it's compelling purpose for why.

I do not however trust at all the science behind a rushed formula vaccine.  PharmaBro's raking in billions.  

Please don't pile on with comments like "It is a selfish attitude to not get a vaccine".  I will probably get it...  But I am certainly not happy about it.

I don’t think your perspective/concerns are ill advised. I had several of the same concerns. Balancing such rapid vaccine development against a very nasty virus. In the end I decided to get it done. Good luck in your deliberations. Neither road is without some peril. I decided the greater peril was the virus. 

I just don't see how anybody can even wonder about this after seeing what kind of unmitigated hell Hobot is going through.

A half million deaths in the country and people are worried about the vaccine?

They're dead. THEY'RE FUCKING DEAD AND THEY WENT DOWN UGLY!

I just don't get it. Just denial I suppose. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Point Break said:

I don’t think your perspective/concerns are ill advised. I had several of the same concerns. Balancing such rapid vaccine development against a very nasty virus. In the end I decided to get it done. Good luck in your deliberations. Neither road is without some peril. I decided the greater peril was the virus. 

One factor in the development of these vaccines... it is a coronavirus, and work on vaccines for these has been ongoing for about ten years. The research for developing an mRNA response/vaccine was jumped into after SARS-1 which was beat back by conventional public health (test+trace+isolation) before a working vaccine could get out of the gate.

I know the most about Pfizer/Moderna, which are both mRNA based vaccines, because that's what the clinic I volunteer in has been giving. They were tested before emergency authorization on ~ 70,000 people. Since then they've been tested on >100 million people in the USA alone... I mention the USA because that means these patients have had their data funneled to the CDC. The statistics we have on them are pretty good.

We live in a historic era where mass pandemics have been eliminated, thanks to vaccination. The older of us, remember what a big deal polio was.

If a person (like most USAnians) just don't have "contagious disease" on one's list of personal disasters to be careful of, one has no idea how lucky and unique that is, in human history. I can easily understand and to a large extent sympathize with how that influences ones' personal decisions... but that doesn't make it any less irrational

- DSK

14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

One factor in the development of these vaccines... it is a coronavirus, and work on vaccines for these has been ongoing for about ten years. The research for developing an mRNA response/vaccine was jumped into after SARS-1 which was beat back by conventional public health (test+trace+isolation) before a working vaccine could get out of the gate.

I know the most about Pfizer/Moderna, which are both mRNA based vaccines, because that's what the clinic I volunteer in has been giving. They were tested before emergency authorization on ~ 70,000 people. Since then they've been tested on >100 million people in the USA alone... I mention the USA because that means these patients have had their data funneled to the CDC. The statistics we have on them are pretty good.

We live in a historic era where mass pandemics have been eliminated, thanks to vaccination. The older of us, remember what a big deal polio was.

If a person (like most USAnians) just don't have "contagious disease" on one's list of personal disasters to be careful of, one has no idea how lucky and unique that is, in human history. I can easily understand and to a large extent sympathize with how that influences ones' personal decisions... but that doesn't make it any less irrational

- DSK

Agree completely. That was my conclusion after investigating the question myself. I think it a personally responsible thing to do to evaluate ones own medical care and course thoughtfully. There are irrational anti vaxers......and persons who have thoughtful concerns. I have no respect for the former and understand the latter. Personally I think after careful consideration of available information there is no thoughtful road that doesn’t lead to vaccination. I simply understand the hesitancy.......

• Like 1

So we focus on those having reactions to the vaccine?  If we gave 100 million people each a pencil then within a few days some of them will die or have a stroke, choke on the pencil or put their eye out with it. Or write a ransom note and be thrown in jail.

Testing was extensive, months for each level - 30k people in my area were in the AZ trials and zip as far as bad news nothing has ever come out.  Anyone who doesn't want to risk being vaccinated should never go outside or eat spicy food. Or have people over.  If they insist on going outside please make it obvious you aren't being part of the solution, like carry a big flag for instance ( I live in Texas and know these people). 

More background (I had both shots, spent night after 2nd feeling like the flu condensed to 8 hours) this wasn't a hey, there is this thing so let's see if we can make a vaccine in 2019.  Research started over 10 years ago since to scientists the threat of a viral pandemic was enough to work on how to combat it. The rush to get this one done was built on the research of groups world wide.

47 y.o. here, reasonably healthy.  1st shot of Pfizer a non-event, other than a bit of a warm glow for a day (typical flu shot reaction for me).  Was kinda looking for the reported psychedelic dreams, as I’ve been in a random drug test program off and on (mostly on) since I was 17 and have never ingested anything illegal, or even quasi-legal like pot.  Disappointed at the distinct lack of Scarlet Johansen.  Maybe next time.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dorado said:

I just don't see how anybody can even wonder about this after seeing what kind of unmitigated hell Hobot is going through.

Well.....here is the reasoning offered to me by a few folks in our circle who expressed concerns. 1) I am healthy now. 2) I am in the younger group much much less likely to have a bad course. 3) I'm "reasonably careful".  4) I am not sure I want to trade any chance at an adverse impact - however small - via a new vaccine to my personal health right now for herd immunity. 

I understand the view. Even for the "community minded" of those...........they look at their personal risk as a higher priority than the herd risk. 

I think they are wrong.........the numbers do not pencil out that the vaccine is a greater risk than the virus. Adverse reactions are not that common and no vaccine is without some small number of adverse reactions. 

I'm not saying I agree...........I'm saying I follow their rationale. 

7 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Well.....here is the reasoning offered to me by a few folks in our circle who expressed concerns. 1) I am healthy now. 2) I am in the younger group much much less likely to have a bad course. 3) I'm "reasonably careful".  4) I am not sure I want to trade any chance at an adverse impact - however small - via a new vaccine to my personal health right now for herd immunity. 

I understand the view. Even for the "community minded" of those...........they look at their personal risk as a higher priority than the herd risk. 

I think they are wrong.........the numbers do not pencil out that the vaccine is a greater risk than the virus. Adverse reactions are not that common and no vaccine is without some small number of adverse reactions. 

I'm not saying I agree...........I'm saying I follow their rationale. 

I think it is a huge miscalculation on their part. I am still having trouble going up and down stairs, and I was very healthy and just 52. We were also exceedingly careful, but it still got into our house and infected everyone. Folks my age are not dying in the numbers that those with risk factors, but that should not be taken as meaning we are really "low risk" in general. It just means less likely to die at this point, particularly with the variants spreading now. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LenP said:

I think it is a huge miscalculation on their part. I am still having trouble going up and down stairs, and I was very healthy and just 52. We were also exceedingly careful, but it still got into our house and infected everyone. Folks my age are not dying in the numbers that those with risk factors, but that should not be taken as meaning we are really "low risk" in general. It just means less likely to die at this point, particularly with the variants spreading now. 

Agree completely. 

8 hours ago, Dorado said:

You only get Scarlett Johansson with Moderna. With Pfizer you get Phyllis Diller.

Apparently with Johnson & Johnson you get Lynden and Boris.

I got Pfizer shots 1 and 2. No side effect.

But because of the Scarlett Johanson thing, I want my money back.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dorado said:

You only get Scarlett Johansson with Moderna. With Pfizer you get Phyllis Diller.

can we specify an age for Phyllis? 

An Ode to Phyllis Diller, the First Female Comic to Joke Like a Man

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 4:54 PM, slug zitski said:

It’s a coverup . 

in the UK vaccine induced dna modifications are causing  women to grow beards

this  has led to panic buying and a severe shortage of double edge razor blades 

05A95A0F-73A6-4156-9CDF-4A6A9CC12555.jpeg

Good lord!  Whatever happed to him anyway?  He certainly caused a stir at the Eurovision contest that year.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:07 AM, Blue Crab said:

Few would argue. We lucked into a place with natural resources that took us to the top. And the early folks were motivated to do better than what they had at home. That's gone now. 

Maybe we get back on top. 

It wasn't luck dammit.  God made Amurica for white European Amuricans.  It says so in the Bible.  Or in the Book of Mormon.  Or in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.  Or some book or another.  That's why Amurica is so exceptional.

22 hours ago, Dorado said:

all I got was reruns of MASH that where heavy on Klinger...

• Like 2

I want to clear one thing up right now.  Y'all can dream about Scarlett all you want but she's mine.  It's a done deal.  So keep yer grubby, filthy minds off of my woman.  And if Scarlett forgot about our little deal, I have a friend here that looks very much like her.  So I'm covered wither way.

Just now, Marcjsmith said:

all I got was reruns of MASH that where heavy on Klinger...

Maybe everybody gets what they deserve?

22 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I want to clear one thing up right now.  Y'all can dream about Scarlett all you want but she's mine.  It's a done deal.  So keep yer grubby, filthy minds off of my woman.  And if Scarlett forgot about our little deal, I have a friend here that looks very much like her.  So I'm covered wither way.

Hmmm, I guess Rhett Lada does give a damn after all.

• Like 1
On 4/12/2021 at 12:28 AM, Steam Flyer said:

We live in a historic era where mass pandemics have been eliminated, thanks to vaccination. The older of us, remember what a big deal polio, diphtheria, tuberculosis, smallpox, tetanus and measles, were? How many of us have had the yellow card travel vaccinations for malaria, yellow fever etc? How many of us have new flu jabs every year? Did we worry so much about the risk then?

Fixed.

Just do it. As soon as you can, unless your Doctor advises you not to...... Otherwise we might all have to be vaccinated again, or even repeatedly, for the increasingly nasty variants which might evolve whilst procrastinating.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/diseases/forgot-14-diseases.html

• Like 1

Round 2 tomorrow. Was in danger of missing it as was called for jury-duty today. Asked for a continuance (already had one) for the vaccination appointment cause they are hard to get. Jury clerk said "no problem, how long do you need?"

uh, a week? how about next Monday?

Nah, I'll give you 2 months.

ok.....

Week and a half ago I was able to book my Vaccine shot for the 15th. Was getting the J&J but it was 23 miles from my house. Last Friday evening I was able to book a shot for yesterday only 3 miles away. Lucky me. 

On 4/12/2021 at 10:16 AM, Ed Lada said:

Ed, if that's an inflatable, please provide the link.

8 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Ed, if that's an inflatable, please provide the link.

No, she's real and I don't know if her boyfriend would appreciate her being around a man even older than I am!!! 

I think he only tolerates me because I've known her longer than he has.  

On 4/10/2021 at 9:40 PM, Dorado said:

what should someone who actually had COVID and had No Symptoms believe ??

Should they want to test a shot or 2 ??

Scientist are like yacht designers

Not all are Bob Perry's

it's just another practice

like medicine

9 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

what should someone who actually had COVID and had No Symptoms believe ??

Should they want to test a shot or 2 ??

Scientist are like yacht designers

Not all are Bob Perry's

it's just another practice

like medicine

They should feel lucky they didn't die a hideous death. They shouldn't feel invincible.

My wife got it in December. Hasn't regained her sense of taste and smell yet. Glad she ain't dead. 

Woody, you need to get your mind right son

• Like 4
On 4/14/2021 at 6:04 AM, Dorado said:

They should feel lucky they didn't die a hideous death. They shouldn't feel invincible.

My wife got it in December. Hasn't regained her sense of taste and smell yet. Glad she ain't dead. 

Woody, you need to get your mind right son

sounds good

But

I Did in fact have the CORONA

And am said to have the same protection for the same amount of time as the vaccine testers

Nothing is Known for Fact ... Yet

my thoughts on the vaccine would be different had I not had CORONA less than 6 months ago

what are the a\effects of the vaccine on the immune system of someone with CORONA Antibodies ?

No .......... You as Them Do Not Know

1 could cancel out the other,

Or Not otherwise adding any positive effect while risking the possible known side affects ??????

I have Not, Am Not and Will Not tell anyone else what choice to take

Have You had the CORONA Virus ??

if so your opinion would be more interesting to those who have

Years from now survivors will get to look back and judge

till then everyone is arguing over the way to go to catch the wind shift and avoid the holes

some shall WIN regardless of choice