Traeger Pro Series 34 anarchy

Pellet smokers and grills serve different purposes. I’m pretty happy having both as some things don’t need or want “smoke.”  You may feel differently. 

Stick with a well established brand. I bought a stabile last pellet stove made in Pennsylvania and the company did not survive the Chinese made competition. When I needed parts about 2 years ago, no bueno. I was able to find a similar controller from another brand that worked since nine of the manufacturers design and build the key control components. 

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Pellet smokers and grills serve different purposes. I’m pretty happy having both as some things don’t need or want “smoke.”  You may feel differently. 

This.

I have a weber, a gas grill and a traeger. Different tools for different jobs. You're not going to effectively grill a steak on a traeger or smoke a butt on the gas grill. Webers are great but sometimes pushing a button to start a fire is nice.

For what it does I really like the traeger.

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

You're not going to effectively smoke a butt on the gas grill. 

on my gas grill i can,   i got a cheap cast iron frying pan set from harbor freight,  i've got two resting just above the left most burner which I fill with wood pellets. keeping the flame really low i can get a decent smoke going with temps around 200*   a little tin foil here and there and keeping the meat on the right hand side i can do a pretty good job smoking..  not enough room to do a full brisket     i've done pretty much everything,  fish, poultry, steaks...  all come out great..   indirect heat is a key

I have an old Charbroil that I do the same thing to:  fire on one side, wood on the other over a lit burner, meat kept up high on the non burner side.  works great.