can't help but chuckle (or inwardly wince?) every time I hear the JK invoked for a bottom mark rounding. I've got a feeling there are a few AC spotters around here who know what this refers to - and its not Juan Kouyoumdjian - but yeah. AC 34, race 5, first bottom mark rounding. Go to 7:15 or so to watch it unfold. This the first JK ever. I suspect it was Jimmy who coined the term, but if Sir Ben then true irony - as it likely represents the very maneuver that got Ben a ride in his first America's Cup race ever (the very next day, sigh). Enjoy:

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, floater said:

can't help but chuckle (or inwardly wince?) every time I hear the JK invoked for a bottom mark rounding. I've got a feeling there are a few AC spotters around here who know what this refers to - and its not Juan Kouyoumdjian - but yeah. AC 34, race 5, first bottom mark rounding. Go to 7:15 or so to watch it unfold. This the first JK ever. I suspect it was Jimmy who coined the term, but if Sir Ben then true irony - as it likely represents the very maneuver that got Ben a ride in his first America's Cup race ever (the very next day, sigh). Enjoy:

Back when 24kts upwind seemed rapid.

Incredible to think of the cumulative effect of the JK in that race leading to what we know now to be the faster boat taking a cuffing.

Poor Dean Barker. So close, you couldn't have made up what happened.

25 minutes ago, NSP said:

Those boats were so cool.  Imagine how advanced they would be now in v3 form

The AC72 (would have been named AC83 had it, like the AC75, been named by LOA instead of LWL) is probably my favorite AC boat of all time... An absolute Beast of a Boat!

Yes, I agree a V3 by now would be outperforming the AC75’s which are my new favorite, but only just because the AC72 didn’t get to evolve the way it could have. My fantasy is that SGP’s F50’s will grow in size at some point. Wing-sailed foiling cats freakin’ rock! 

1 hour ago, floater said:

Thanks. Nice blast into the past. Maneouvers now seem so slow when compared to today's standards.

1 hour ago, floater said:

07:30

17 hours ago, Varan said:

Thanks. Nice blast into the past. Maneouvers now seem so slow when compared to today's standards.

Yes, the new boats absolutely rip around the corners. I was thinking it had to do with mass, and perhaps it does to some extent. Also wetted area. Anyone who has put a multihull into the wind knows what I am talking about, they just stop. And if you are used to steering a lead-mine its hard to get used to. But, what is surprising:

- and AC70 weighs 13,010 lbs.

- the AC72 14,220. So these new boats are just 1,200 pounds heavier. I thought they would weigh quite a bit more.

18 hours ago, Daniel Holman said:

Back when 24kts upwind seemed rapid.

Incredible to think of the cumulative effect of the JK in that race leading to what we know now to be the faster boat taking a cuffing.

Poor Dean Barker. So close, you couldn't have made up what happened.

Dean Barker prospered. poor John Kostecki!

Since that maneuver was more or less the direct cause of JK being kicked off of the boat, I often wonder how he's been feeling this last few months, watching his name attached to that move!

7 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Since that maneuver was more or less the direct cause of JK being kicked off of the boat, I often wonder how he's been feeling this last few months, watching his name attached to that move!

this. having watched the team practice this maneuver the day before - and with an even worse result - could not believe they did it again, and during a race.

but yeah. exactly. I think about this often. ;) 

3 hours ago, floater said:

Yes, the new boats absolutely rip around the corners. I was thinking it had to do with mass, and perhaps it does to some extent. Also wetted area. Anyone who has put a multihull into the wind knows what I am talking about, they just stop. And if you are used to steering a lead-mine its hard to get used to. But, what is surprising:

- and AC70 weighs 13,010 lbs.

- the AC72 14,220. So these new boats are just 1,200 pounds heavier. I thought they would weigh quite a bit more.

Its hydrodynamic yaw intertia with cats. These monos pivot around foils, with very little yaw interia. The commentators were saying that in breeze they lose less than 10m in a tack. Madness.