1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Once again, too much on his plate?  Or maybe just trying stupid shit out of desperation cos he knew the boat was slower.

This (at least in light winds)

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That old cliche "You can't win them all". He has got a pretty full trophy cabinet though 5 Olympic Medals, a record number of Finn Gold Cups, a bucket load of worlds, a WMRT title, thrashed everyone i

to be fair... I have raced Giles... it didn't go very well. I had only been sailing for a couple of years though and was very small. Giles, despite being my age was already getting too big for toppers

Actually I got to be in the cockpit with Ben many moons ago in a demo event match racing against Ian Percy and Shirley Robertson in the Sunsail France 1 and France 2 AC class boats.  My input was sole

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Not sure what his point is.

But I have made the point before that this is a strong indication that Ben should step down as principal and focus on the sail team.

I don't know whether he lacks leadership (I suspect not) or simply has too much on his plate, but after two campaigns where you have spent a shit tonne of money to be (to put it generously) an ordinary syndicate you need some soul searching. 

To their credit, they had a much better boat than last time, but only once they went into crisis mode.

In Bermuda their boat barked like a dog. This time, despite what others say, it wasn't that much slower than LR.

Much to my surprise,  their tactics were their Achilles heel.

Once again, too much on his plate?  Or maybe just trying stupid shit out of desperation cos he knew the boat was slower.

I think Ben's problem with the dodgy starts and tactics in the final was that he was convinced that he was sailing a slower boat and it got into his head.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, kiwin said:

Er, yes they do. I am the biggest Senna fan ever, but there is no doubt that he was a flawed personality, and this was an incredibly stupid & immature move. 

Ainslie's actions in match racing Scheidt were incredibly skillful and totally legitimate under the rules, and in my view the spirit of the game. 

The incident with the chase boat driver, not so much....but, he was prosecuted under the rules for that incident. There have been no other similar incidents as far as I am aware.

Ainslie is a brilliant sailor. End of story. I do not hold with sports people being role models. Lewis Hamilton is a brilliant driver. I do not care if he is a nice person or not, as that is not part of the competition.

Would lewis hamilton win in a Ferrari... No!

Mclaren are so much superior it a tech race with drivers just the delivery agents

3 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

I think Ben's problem with the dodgy starts and tactics in the final was that he was convinced that he was sailing a slower boat and it got into his head.  

Yip... 

3 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Quite possibly so and the more likely of the possible explanations IMO.

However, serious consideration needs to be given to him focussing on his core strengths and leaving the other shit to someone else.

Look at GD. I don't think he was ever an exceptional sailor. Just good at running teams.

You can be fucking awesome at DOING something and crap at managing others doing it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Baconator said:

Mclaren are so much superior it a tech race with drivers just the delivery agents

No way. Hamilton might not be a very endearing character but he drives with amazing precision and skill. Just look at how consistent his lap times are. 

He has hardly ever let the car down, but the car has let him down more. 

He will go on in the next two years to become the greatest, in terms of results,  ever.

18 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

No way. Hamilton might not be a very endearing character but he drives with amazing precision and skill. Just look at how consistent his lap times are. 

He has hardly ever let the car down, but the car has let him down more. 

He will go on in the next two years to become the greatest, in terms of results,  ever.

Thanks to his car.....   But maybe I just don't like his woke spoilt brat cuntyness

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, toad said:

Ben ain’t a designer, he’s a sailor and this is a designers race

yahh, a 'designer's race',, always lets a loser blame the design... no matter that he chose the designer.  :mellow:

1 hour ago, couchsurfer said:

Whines?    Hmmm, methinks he also carries..... full on tantrum crybaby in his repertoire.

Such an irony you say these words.... ''Frankly, we should let our actions on the water do the talking''  ...............

That's right Ben Ainslie,, just like karma itself,, your fellow finnsailors -never- forget. 

Knighthood my ASS!  Shows just how bankrupt the Brutish Empire has become.   <_<

image.png.2bb53112d40bb8c46b1b0c0c92ea8f3d.png

What a sour loser you are!       ..... 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

..........I have made the point before that this is a strong indication that Ben should step down as principal and focus on the sail team.

I don't know whether he lacks leadership (I suspect not) or simply has too much on his plate, but after two campaigns where you have spent a shit tonne of money to be (to put it generously) an ordinary syndicate you need some soul searching.

He wouldn't be the first talented singlehander that shows himself beyond skillset for leading a campaign. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Baconator said:

Thanks to his car.....   But maybe I just don't like his woke spoilt brat cuntyness

This is unfortunately no different for many highly successful people.

Take a look at the absolute mental case that is Tom Cruise.

Nobody ever calls him on his shit because their income is inversely proportional to the number of times they tell him jumping up and down on a couch like a 3 year old makes him look as mad as a box of frogs.

Practically nobody ever tells these people that they are complete fuckwits.

That is why I truly appreciate people like Pete Sampras who at least in public manage to maintain the appearance of humility and good sportsmanship.

In Ben's defence (and I'm somewhat loathe to do this), he really has only had one notable brain explosion - but it was a doozy.

It's right up there with Serena Williams telling the official she could just kill him/her.

47 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Quite possibly so and the more likely of the possible explanations IMO.

However, serious consideration needs to be given to him focussing on his core strengths and leaving the other shit to someone else.

Look at GD. I don't think he was ever an exceptional sailor. Just good at running teams.

You can be fucking awesome at DOING something and crap at managing others doing it.

Likely the singlehander mindset at play... got used to running all aspects of his campaigns,, never learned to delegate.  :mellow:

I admit I have not seen all the geoblocked videos, but Ben seems to have violated the "stiff upper lip, mustn't complain" British mores. As an American I find it less shocking, though unusual. 

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

This is unfortunately no different for many highly successful people.

Take a look at the absolute mental case that is Tom Cruise.

Nobody ever calls him on his shit because their income is inversely proportional to the number of times they tell him jumping up and down on a couch like a 3 year old makes him look as mad as a box of frogs.

Practically nobody ever tells these people that they are complete fuckwits.

That is why I truly appreciate people like Pete Sampras who at least in public manage to maintain the appearance of humility and good sportsmanship.

In Ben's defence (and I'm somewhat loathe to do this), he really has only had one notable brain explosion - but it was a doozy.

It's right up there with Serena Williams telling the official she could just kill him/her.

Rafa is my fave....

Humble and kind.

And he's a good sailor too!

5 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

He wouldn't be the first talented singlehander that shows himself beyond skillset for leading a campaign. 

They are completely different skill sets. Even skippering a boat full of other sailors is a rather different skill set.

I could be wrong, he may be completely suitable and not overloaded at all. However with two very well funded campaigns having failed quite seriously it is not unreasonable to ask that question and INEOS should be asking it.

In Bermuda the only campaign worse was France who were an absolute hot mess.

Here in NZ it is hard to know if they would have beaten an undamaged AM but I think most people would agree AM had the faster boat.

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Do you think first knights were gentlemen ? that the "Brustish" Empire was created by nice characters ? Ben surely resemble more the first knights than William or Harry.

Good job ben!...  Why tolerate fuckwits that wear those kinda hats

15 minutes ago, Baconator said:

Rafa is my fave....

Humble and kind.

And he's a good sailor too!

Really? Didn't know he sailed, but yeah fantastic player and seemingly great sportsmanship.

Honestly I have know idea if I could resist the temptation to be a total cunt in the same circumstances which is why I admire those that do.

1 hour ago, Baconator said:

McLaren? They will be happy to know this I think.

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Do you think first knights were gentlemen ? that the "Brustish" Empire was created by nice characters ? Ben surely resemble more the first knights than William or Harry.

FYI, to get to where he is SIR Jim Ratcliffe has probably got way more skeletons in his closet than the subject of this thread!

Speaking of which, humour me with this hypothetical conversation potentially going on right now:

Sir Jim: Ben, I want us to win the damn cup with you driving the boat. my chequebook is basically open.

Sir Ben: great, let's just wait on the news of the next boat and I'll start the process.

SJ:well, back up there. You're driving the boat. I'm getting someone else in to run the team.

SB; but it's my team

SJ: but it's my money

SB: ......suppose i can't argue with that. Who've you got in mind? Is his first name Ian?

20 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

What was your first clue?   :lol:

image.png.4e7bf98175797e4a01e7b0a431b92b28.png

I dunno, my thoughts are, all powerboat drivers could do with a dose of Ben occasionally, for the most part they are just dickheads who never learnt to sail! :P:P

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

yahh, a 'designer's race',, always lets a loser blame the design... no matter that he chose the designer.  :mellow:

Ben might be lots of things but "loser" is not one of them, I dont know who chose the designer(s) or their huge team but I can guarantee that Ben would take responsibility for the result as a matter of course because he is a class act. 

Sir Ben Ainslie, INEOS TEAM UK Skipper & Team Principal:
“Well done to Luna Rossa and well done to Italy. It’s a big deal in Italy to get into the America’s Cup again. So congratulations to the team, to Jimmy and Checco and all the boys, they sailed brilliantly and deserve to take the Final. Hats off to them. We are obviously disappointed we didn’t get through but we are to go away, back on the drawing board and see what we can do.”

There is a huge difference between winning or losing the Prada cup vs  your Wednesday night fat fuck race where you  wear a 2 dollar shop captains hat and steer your bavaria cruiser 36 to last on line but claim 7th on handicap.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

So unless you were driving you haven’t won it? Interesting logic 

The win that Ben was involved with was different.  He came in late, the turnaround was caused by fundamental changes in the boat that he had nothing to do with.

He was on the winning team, but for me on this occasion he did not 'win it'.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, rastro said:

The win that Ben was involved with was different.  He came in late, the turnaround was caused by fundamental changes in the boat that he had nothing to do with.

Actually I hadn't really thought about this, but is is a valid point.

I don't have an opinion on whether he actually "won" it or not, but I understand both points of view.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Flags said:

I dunno, my thoughts are, all powerboat drivers could do with a dose of Ben occasionally, for the most part they are just dickheads who never learnt to sail! :P:P

Well last I heard, sailors with uncontrollable anger issues I usually banned from the sport. This guy was knighted. What a great example to set the youth who admire him., then, as now.:mellow:

On 2/22/2021 at 9:49 PM, strider470 said:

The question is which pizza? Could it be a pineapple pizza?

Sorry, but as long as there is thing called "pizza Rossini" it is also fine to put pineapple to pizza. 

Although this is just my personal opinion.

3 minutes ago, Pertsa said:

Sorry, but as long as there is thing called "pizza Rossini" it is also fine to put pineapple to pizza. 

pizza Rossini? never heard of it. what is it like?

Just now, strider470 said:

It is margherita with hard boiled eggs and lot of mayonnaise placed on top if it after cooking. I think it might be local thing in Pesaro.

2 minutes ago, strider470 said:
6 minutes ago, Pertsa said:

This??

https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/trends/blend-and-taste/pizza-with-mayo-yes-its-pizza-rossini-in-pesaro-only?refresh_ce=

Just now, Pertsa said:

It is margherita with hard boiled eggs and lot of mayonnaise placed on top if it after cooking. I think it might be local thing in Pesaro.

you are right, I found it on google. I swear I never tried it. :D

1 minute ago, Pertsa said:

Still way better than pineapple. :P

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

He should have had a nice long suspension for that shit.

If he had been given a proper suspension he would not have qualified for the 2012 Olympics and would not have usurped Elvstrom’s record and would not be referred to as Sir.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

It's from Pesaro, so you don't want to know. Apparently it's a Margherita with sliced boiled eggs drizzled in mayonnaise.

The mind boggles at such a thing.

My wife makes a Margherita and adds prosciutto. I first had that one at place high in the hills on the outskirts of Naples, and it's still my favorite pizza, if you can have a favorite.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rastro said:

Oh so the time he spent driving the second boat wasn’t “with the the team” and he just got the call flew in 12hrs later at the rest is history? 

wtf.

3 hours ago, Baconator said:

Lewis would not have won in a Ferrari in 2020.  But in a Mercedes he won by a huge margin compared to the 2nd Mercedes driver and compared to cars that were close but not quite as quick as the Mercedes. The Ferrari was a dog in 2020...woof. LH is a superior talent , and yes the car matters , but the teams with the best cars seek the best drivers.   The drivers ability to identify the program likely to develop an amazing car is also important with a tinge of luck and fate involved. The drivers ability to give feedback to the garage can also squeeze that extra millisecond out of the package.

Would Ben win in a faster AC 75?  Possibly. Time will tell.

Does the sailor affect the boat design?  Yes a good feedback loop is a good part of evolving the design. I suspect that Glen Ashby brings something special to the feedback to the ETNZ designers.  It takes a team to create the faster boat. ETNZ have proven that they have a good proclivity for coming up with fast boats ......it is beyond a coincidence now.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, sailman said:

If he had been given a proper suspension he would not have qualified for the 2012 Olympics and would not have usurped Elvstrom’s record and would not be referred to as Sir.

And? You do the time.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, Dolphin65 said:

As an Italian, I feel quite embarrassed for this unpleasant event....Who knows why Longanesi Cattani (if he made this call) humiliated the British team this way...

Now that I have read this, I take back that

• Like 1
3 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

Who were some others? I can't think off hand :-/

2 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Since this seems to be thread about anything.......my take on Italian cooking....make everything taste like tomatoes........

Not just tomatoes, TINNED tomatoes B)

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

That narrative is inconsistent with timings of the actual documents released to media, and timings stated by LR themselves.

It also appears the LR/COR did not invite ACE to attend their press conference, which resulted in ACE delivering a brutal press release that Bruno obliged to read out at the start of the presser.

50 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

You know damn well that quote on the “This” link was written by YOU not me. 

Shit house by the person with a false quote and you for repeating it. 

BA does seam a very angry man who takes less joy out of just being there than other sailors I've seen.  The way he yelled Giles out several times during the cup was just the opposite of the calm sailing that I so admire from the likes of Spithill, Slingsby, Outteridge, the newly minted Bruno. In my own sailing I strive to be so Zen, but too often I fail and become the malcontent dude on the helm... so perhaps I don't like BA because he reminds me of me at my worst!

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Since this seems to be thread about anything.......my take on Italian cooking....make everything taste like tomatoes........

You’re missing out on some great cream sauces and desserts. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Agree, not many competitions are won by people who are not focussed, but actually it was a photographer's driver he swam across to have words with.

At a normal regatta he would have gone to the room to claim redress for the media RIB wake disturbing him downwind but ISAF (as it was then) had written into the SI's that  interference by a media boat was not grounds for redress if I remember correctly. I also seem to remember (correct me if i am wrong - I'm getting on a bit :-)) that the media boat was from the country of the sailor that Ben was trying to chase down. Not an important event though, only a world championship or similar.

The term in English slang is "suffer fools badly"

Watched two Star Worlds winners have words ashore over similar situation at a district level event.

Drifter conditions & one guy’s dad had a motor launch that the other guy ( finished 2nd) claimed was shadowing him upwind, too close to layline and, disturbing the water.   At best boats were doing 2kts upwind.

Winners & marginal gains/losses.   It matters.

Ben’s a great sailor.   You been there, then you can tell us what it’s like.  Otherwise.....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rastro said:

Watch it again. The demeanor on that boat changed instantly. A lot faster than the fundamental changes in the boat that weren't that fundamental. That boat got progressively faster throughout the match. It wasn't a day off to switch on Herbie and then go.

8 minutes ago, mad said:

Quite possibly......Guess I'm still scarred from turning up to my Mother's with fresh prawns and scallops, and she marinared it....was so annoyed.........

BA behavior has been awful. Going head to head with a 70 years old man arguing over a PR issue already solved ? No way. He’s a pro, one of the best sailor in history, you can’t do that, especially if you’re representing an entire team. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

The drivers ability to give feedback to the garage can also squeeze that extra millisecond out of the package.

IMHO, this is why Schumacher is better than Hamilton.

He joined a lowly Benetton with an inferior car and took them to multiple Championships.

He then joined a struggling Ferrari and again took them to multiple Championships.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, sailman said:

...and every young sailor who idolizeD him would have been clearly shown the standard of conduct appropriate to the sport.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Watch it again. The demeanor on that boat changed instantly. A lot faster than the fundamental changes in the boat that weren't that fundamental. That boat got progressively faster throughout the match. It wasn't a day off to switch on Herbie and then go.

I've watched it many times and don't come the that conclusion.  Ben is not a team player, some people just do better on Lasers.

You see what people are made of when they lose.  Ben just lashes out at anyone in range.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Chapter Four said:

And shooey is white!

13 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Does the sailor affect the boat design?  Yes a good feedback loop is a good part of evolving the design. I suspect that Glen Ashby brings something special to the feedback to the ETNZ designers.  It takes a team to create the faster boat. ETNZ have proven that they have a good proclivity for coming up with fast boats ......it is beyond a coincidence now.

That depends on the sailors.  Ben is not and never has been technically minded, all done by Sid for the Finns and I very much doubt that he could really pass on anything useful when he has no idea of the physics involved.  He's certainly not alone in that respect, many respected Olympic and World champions rely on others for their equipment and all they have to think about is the actual sailing.  

Olympians such as Elvstrom and Rodney used to the norm in understanding and developed their mounts, these days it's an exception.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Chapter Four said:

He joined a lowly Benetton with an inferior car and took them to multiple Championships.

He then joined a struggling Ferrari and again took them to multiple Championships.

He did, but not because of his in car feedback. That was Schumacher's only weakness, apart from occasionall cheating. 

Irvine arrived once at Fiorano to drive a car that Schumacher was testing at speeds near the track record. After a seat change Irvine jumps in and after two laps declared the car undrivable. On checking the mechanics discovered a broken suspension arm. Schumacher had not really noticed, and had simply adapted his driving to the car. Most of the in car development was done by Irvine and Badoer

8 minutes ago, GBH said:

That depends on the sailors.  Ben is not and never has been technically minded, all done by Sid for the Finns and I very much doubt that he could really pass on anything useful when he has no idea of the physics involved.  He's certainly not alone in that respect, many respected Olympic and World champions rely on others for their equipment and all they have to think about is the actual sailing.  

Olympians such as Elvstrom and Rodney used to the norm in understanding and developed their mounts, these days it's an exception.

I remember Luca Devoti (silver medal in Finn at Sydney 2000). Sailing his own boat, as well as the other top sailors. http://devotisailing.com/

Just now, strider470 said:

Ben is not and never has been technically minded, all done by Sid for the Finns and I very much doubt that he could really pass on anything useful

I don't know how true this is, but Burling has an engineering background. He is all about speed. Ditto goes for Ashby, Tuke and maybe others in ETNZ. It's part of the ETNZ mindset. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kiwin said:

I don't know how true this is, but Burling has an engineering background. He is all about speed. Ditto goes for Ashby, Tuke and maybe others in ETNZ. It's part of the ETNZ mindset. 

3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Ben is not and never has been technically minded, all done by Sid for the Finns and I very much doubt that he could really pass on anything useful 

----------

I never wrote that, some error in the website quoting

13 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

You know damn well that quote on the “This” link was written by YOU not me. 

Shit house by the person with a false quote and you for repeating it. 

Of course I do.

Obviously  "This" wasn't referred to the quoted text, but to  @Thewas statement:

"As far as I managed to pick from the various sources I read from the "winner only" presser was scheduled well before the beginning of the finals and agreed upon by all teams. Many other LV cup (or sports event) have had this setup. The COR PR contacted ITUK in the morning to make sure they were OK with it, and, of course, they weren't. So the COR changed the schedule accordingly, even admitting they made a judgement error.
All of these communications between the PRs went on in a very friendly way (at least accordingly to what Max Sirena told).
Then Ben threw this kind of a tantrum. 
(BTW in the interview above Sirena told that he, Sirena, arrived at the presser just to step in BA putting his head against the Cattani's head)"

Can you see beyond the end of your nose?

15 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Hilarious, Luca Devoti telling about that time BA chased him with a paddle shouting "I kill you!" 

The true story is that it was Luca's birthday, and Ben was not invited to the evening  party.

Jokes apart Luca is quite on Ben's side, saying he is an extraordinary athlete, but also stresses on Ben's inner aggression, that sometimes he struggles to contain, but that is also one of the reasons for his strength.

• Like 1

Sir Ben is a clever guy. He simply cannot tell everything he knows. Just one thing I have been thinking about, control measurements. In a normal regatta the race organization can pick some yachts to undergo control measurements after a day of racing.

15 hours ago, baz said:

Not just tomatoes, TINNED tomatoes B)

Not worth replying to

14 hours ago, mad said:

No cream in Italian dishes, please. Leave that to Martha Stewart and Gordon Ramsay :P

17 hours ago, strider470 said:

Neither had I. Hope the place has been firebombed by now

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zaal said:

Hilarious, Luca Devoti telling about that time BA chased him with a paddle shouting "I kill you!" 

Hadn’t seen that, interesting. Not a fan of Luca Devoti, but admittedly he has always had a kulturni aura in Italian sailing. Here, he brings up Freudian Es saying BA is fundamentally violent, and resorts to racing rules to keep that in a cage - but under stress it bursts through. Luca agrees he is enormously gifted, but as such he’s protected by the system and allowed things most other sailors wouldn’t

• Like 1
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

The true story is that it was Luca's birthday, and Ben was not invited to the evening  party.

Jokes apart Luca is quite on Ben's side, saying he is an extraordinary athlete, but also stresses on Ben's inner aggression, that sometimes he struggles to contain, but that is also one of the reasons for his strength.

Yep, the funny thing is that he's not at all angry about BA behaviour. Devoti tells that he provoked BA since his girlfriend returned to Italy and he was mad about this and destroyed BA in the race, and he was not so happy about that. Devoti was a 40 year veteran and BA was at his first appearance.  He shows the most respect for BA and to be honest he always said ITUK was favorite against LR. I think he's more a fan of BA than LR, he had been a little critical about LR

1 minute ago, Xlot said:

Hadn’t seen that, interesting. Not a fan of Luca Devoti, but admittedly he has always had a kulturni aura in Italian sailing. Here, he brings up Freudian Es saying BA is fundamentally violent, and resorts to racing rules to keep that in a cage - but under stress it bursts through. Luca agrees he is enormously gifted, but as such he’s protected by the system and allowed things most other sailors wouldn’t

Perfect summary, I agree with you about him

20 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Devoti tells that he provoked BA since his girlfriend returned to Italy and he was mad about this and destroyed BA in the race, and he was not so happy about that.

O dear some intrigue there. Now let's focus on Prada Cup. What about the race organization at Prada Cup. Did they do any control measurements?

Let's go back to the poor Lidgard design that Dean Barker was helming at America's Cup way back in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alinghi . This poor yacht was panic-rebuilt after looking at the Louis Vuitton Cup. Now we may have a similar situation. Will the NZ have to do almost panic alterations, that would have been unnecessary if proper control measurements had been made?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LordBooster said:

Now we may have a similar situation. Will the NZ have to do almost panic alterations, that would have been unnecessary if proper control measurements had been made?

What do you mean?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

What do you mean?

Let's this sink in a day or two. Please check the history books. And we may understand why an unshaved, irritated, Sir Ben said what he said. No more, no less. But he may have said enough.

I think he was frustrated, since he can't stand loosing. That said, his anger against a 70 years old man have no excuses, moreover because  it was for a PR issue already solved. 

6 minutes ago, Zaal said:

I think he was frustrated, since he can't stand loosing. That said, his anger against a 70 years old man have no excuses, moreover because  it was for a PR issue already solved. 

Don't under-estimate Sir Ben. I don't think he get's frustrated. He is way too smart for that. Again, please check the history books and let this sink in a day or two.

5 minutes ago, Xlot said:

I hate riddles ...

I soar without wings, I see without eyes. I've traveled the universe to and fro. I've conquered the world, yet I've never been anywhere but home. Who am I?

2 minutes ago, Xlot said:

I hate riddles ...

I detest people who have actually no information to share or have no evidence for their allusions, but ask others to "investigate for yourself", "do your homework", "inform yourself" - finest conspiracy cult member behavior.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I detest people who have actually no information to share or have no evidence for their allusions, but ask others to "investigate for yourself", "do your homework", "inform yourself" - finest conspiracy cult member behavior.

OK, I will give you a hint or two. The hula that Lidgard invented was a legal way of increasing the displacement and of the yacht. The challengers had to do something to respond to the hula. What did they do? Again, take your time to check the history books.

8 hours ago, rastro said:

I've watched it many times and don't come the that conclusion.  Ben is not a team player, some people just do better on Lasers.

You see what people are made of when they lose.  Ben just lashes out at anyone in range.

Fair enough. He is a complete and utter fucking asshole. On that we both agree.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pusslicker said:

Fair enough. He is a complete and utter fucking asshole. On that we both agree

OK, he may be an asshole in other peoples eyes, but a very clever one. He is an expert in exploiting the rules. Just look at him winning the Olympics last time. But he did it in a legal way. This balance act also makes him an expert in detecting what he couldn't talk about.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

OK, I will give you a hint or two. The hula that Lidgard invented was a legal way of increasing the displacement and of the yacht. The challengers had to do something to respond to the hula. What did they do? Again, take your time to check the history books.

It was a way of increasing waterline length. Not displacement. 

You sound like you been Scalping Pilgrims??

• Like 1
Just now, JJD said:

It was a way of increasing waterline length. Not displacement. 

Lidgard had figured out a way to do both under sailing. In a legal way. Again, if you don't want to read the history books, please look at the YouTube clips. Keep in mind the following. Why doe's the tuning yacht of the defender has to go into port with its structural integrity compromised. Why is water leaking (or rather pouring) out from her freeboards? Regarding the defending yacht itself. Why is Dean Barker standing up steering. Take at least a look at the old YouTube clips...