I think this is as apt a thread as any to show some respect to Mozzy Sails and his gang of deliberators. The British team may have been well short of pace this cup but Mozzy sails was the key technological development to come out of these islands. Starting off low-fi but ramping up technical developments during the competition like any good cup team his stuff has been a great, and near-daily watch.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I need a cup like that. 

8FB70CC7-4F1E-4616-A943-32646C97EC72.jpeg

Do you reckon that says "Topper World Championship" 6th PRIZE "The Topper is an iconic boat which has proven its performance and resilience over 40 years, with nearly 50,000 Toppers worldwide." He's probably done alright if he managed that in a worlds :)  close to Bens achievements anyway

When a friend messaged saying "hey, there's a thread on SA about you". I was pretty sure the punchline would a be a link to the thread below! So I'm pleasantly surprised to end up here. 

I do like pullovers, as, being northern, they are cheaper than central heating. 

• Like 12
37 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I do like pullovers, as, being northern, they are cheaper than central heating. 

I can't work out if the Northerner part is about it being cold, or being cheap :-)

• Like 5
15 hours ago, KingMonkey said:

I think this is as apt a thread as any to show some respect to Mozzy Sails and his gang of deliberators. The British team may have been well short of pace this cup but Mozzy sails was the key technological development to come out of these islands. Starting off low-fi but ramping up technical developments during the competition like any good cup team his stuff has been a great, and near-daily watch.

I don't think they were WELL short of pace, just a bit.

To my eyes,when they were in a pure drag race in the same patch of water, the boat speeds weren't that far apart.

I think the differentials were down to the trailing boat having fewer tactical options i.e. the rich getting richer.

Also, despite a superior pedigree, the combination of Ben and Giles generally made poorer tactical choices.

15 minutes ago, jaysper said:

To my eyes,when they were in a pure drag race in the same patch of water, the boat speeds weren't that far apart.

I think the differentials were down to the trailing boat having fewer tactical options i.e. the rich getting richer.

Also, despite a superior pedigree, the combination of Ben and Giles generally made poorer tactical choices.

This thread is for jumper discussion only please kindly. Let's have no drift.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Speed wasn't the issue.

Height was and slow tacks.

Oh and starts.

go and analyze the upwind tracks. 

Ineos could never get the height that Prada got.

Yet down wind they could sail deeper and fast .   .   .  Go figure was it foils, trim, boat weight, sail shape, ..... ??

Or.... Drift:D

10 minutes ago, Baconator said:

Speed wasn't the issue.

Height was and slow tacks.

Oh and starts.

go and analyze the upwind tracks. 

Ineos could never get the height that Prada got.

Yet down wind they could sail deeper and fast .   .   .  Go figure was it foils, trim, boat weight, sail shape, ..... ??

Or.... Drift:D

But they are both effectively speed.

Anybody can go fast upwind by reaching or going downwind.

9 minutes ago, jaysper said:

But they are both effectively speed.

Anybody can go fast upwind by reaching or going downwind.

Not so... Speed relative to your next mark is VMG which is a combo of hieght upwind or depth downwind.

If prada and Ineos are both doing 38.6knots but Prada is 5 degrees higher ( In an even breeze) it's game over.

Then there is the anomalies of shifts.  

Take an upwind beat.  .

Going 5 degrees lower but 5 knots faster when hunting a persistent shift can be a winner. Transversely, sailing 5 degrees higher when you're on the inside of a persistent shift is also beneficial.

Be interesting to analyze upwind VMG for all the races they had.

I think prada may have a equal upwind vmg with ETNZ.

23 minutes ago, Baconator said:

Not so... Speed relative to your next mark is VMG which is a combo of hieght upwind or depth downwind.

If prada and Ineos are both doing 38.6knots but Prada is 5 degrees higher ( In an even breeze) it's game over.

Then there is the anomalies of shifts.  

Take an upwind beat.  .

Going 5 degrees lower but 5 knots faster when hunting a persistent shift can be a winner. Transversely, sailing 5 degrees higher when you're on the inside of a persistent shift is also beneficial.

Be interesting to analyze upwind VMG for all the races they had.

I think prada may have a equal upwind vmg with ETNZ.

Sorry, didn't explain myself properly.

My point was that both tacks/tybee and vmg are speed. Anything else including speed across the water is irrelevant.

So when I say speed was the problem, I am referring to those.

Oh god, there are hundreds pages on why Rita was slower -as a whole - round the race course including the Ineos thread. Mozzy has done a video Or two in case you missed and you are both right. 

Back to jumpers here please. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I’m going to go out on a limb here but it is actually possible that I am who originated the use of ‘yellow lines’ on SA forums :) 

mp.gif.340d2640ab84cc832472d58147f6c080.gif

Is that you?

• Like 1

I notice that many of Mozzy's guests have to meet some kind of hurdle in terms of Northern/bad taste in clothing.

A sailing chum was from England and he did like his jumpers .

6 hours ago, IPLore said:

I notice that many of Mozzy's guests have to meet some kind of hurdle in terms of Northern/bad taste in clothing

They are quite good at sailing 14s tho:

https://www.britishyachtingawards.com/amateur-sailor/#:~:text=In association with Andy %26 Tom Partington This,from 62 other boats representing seven different nations.

• Like 2

So what the hell is going on in Mozzy's latest video????

That low friction ring hauling system setup is just wrong!    Firstly low friction rings are still friction rings, so 4 rings is going to be a bit of a pull.... but then to have the line going around the more friction outside rather than through the less friction middle... WHAT?!?!?!? You're not going to get 6 tonnes of Cunningham tension onto an AC35 with that setup!!!

:)

Screenshot from 2021-02-27 18-52-08.png

13 minutes ago, sfigone said:

That low friction ring hauling system setup is just wrong!    Firstly low friction rings are still friction rings, so 4 rings is going to be a bit of a pull.... but then to have the line going around the more friction outside rather than through the less friction middle... WHAT?!?!?!? You're not going to get 6 tonnes of Cunningham tension onto an AC35 with that setup!!!

More importantly the lack of jumper!

I definitely agree on the jumper- a disappointment  , but I had a thought on the main/ jib thing . To get a good “high” mode upwind keeping the main leach on the CL is important to maximise the upwash and really point. If you have the wrong jib (too big) on you can’t keep the main in and so no “high “ mode.

13 hours ago, sfigone said:

allen, who the fuck is allen. 

13 hours ago, IPLore said:

I do think he could have tried harder on the jumper given the fan base look forward to this.

It wasn’t even a case of needing to try harder, he didn’t even wear one!

I mean, what do you think he thinks we tune in for?!

He could hopefully break out some old xmas jumpers maybe? Surely this is not too much to expect from the pre-eminent nautical fashion icon of this Americas Cup cycle?

Batman/big jib vs Joker/small jib? An interesting conundrum but I'd guess that ETNZ have already solved that with their relentless testing.

1 hour ago, tractorbeam said:

He could hopefully break out some old xmas jumpers maybe? Surely this is not too much to expect from the pre-eminent nautical fashion icon of this Americas Cup cycle?

Batman/big jib vs Joker/small jib? An interesting conundrum but I'd guess that ETNZ have already solved that with their relentless testing.

The point is that he is the antithesis of fashion.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:40 AM, tractorbeam said:

I found this at the bottom of a drawer. I think it could be a contender. 

Jumper.jpg

Not sure what is worse..the lino or the jumper...So yes the jumper is a worthwhile contender. I will see what i have in the wardrobe. I also think i have a worse lino pattern in the house.

• Like 1

My contender.  It is actually a nice jumper so i wont win much. It is my only jumper now and it comes out at Christmas and is more usually worn with mulled wine down the front of it. Now my lino should be near first place.

DSCF6627.JPG

• Like 1
On 2/27/2021 at 1:26 AM, Stingray~ said:

I’m going to go out on a limb here but it is actually possible that I am who originated the use of ‘yellow lines’ on SA forums :) 

You have been an inspiration.  Her indoors now understands me better. I use them to explain the conjugal positions i would like to avoid because of age.

6 hours ago, JJD said:

This Allen?

10 points for sailing reference

10 points for finding a song that clearly jumped through YouTube t&c 

Mozzy argues in this latest video that the Batwing moves the COR forward, resulting in a necessary jib size and COR change. But is that really the case?

In for example my Laser sailing it always felt like the COE of the main was in the luff from 8 to 16 inches aft of the mast, the rest was simply for trimming wind across that sweet spot? 

9 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Mozzy argues in this latest video that the Batwing moves the COR forward, resulting in a necessary jib size and COR change. But is that really the case?

In for example my Laser sailing it always felt like the COE of the main was in the luff from 8 to 16 inches aft of the mast, the rest was simply for trimming wind across that sweet spot? 

Did it change much when you used different jib sizes?

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Very funny, just spilt my morning coffee:lol:

• Like 2
On 2/28/2021 at 10:07 AM, 45Roller said:

Sunday best 

At last.....another jumper.  I thought it was appropriately Mozzy.... warm and traditional English Dinghy Park style.  Xmas gift from Gran?

Maybe urban dictionary should change its listing for ‘Cosby sweater’ to ‘Mozzy sweater’ ?

CA502519-0D52-43A3-AEA6-522855FAC44D.png

Evidently Allen need to step up their game in the jumper department :lol::lol:

• Like 1

Just a general observation. Mozzy's taste in jumpers appears to have evolved. What a difference a year makes.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 8.18.35 AM.png

4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Just a general observation. Mozzy's taste in jumpers appears to have evolved. What a difference a year makes.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 8.18.35 AM.png

Yes, he’s going back to his roots with Thomas the tank engine. 

• Like 3
On 3/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, Ex-yachtie said:

:lol: well played 

• Like 1

@Mozzy Sails

got a response back from Allen Brothers: :D

Subject: RE: Mozzy Sails YouTube Channel

Haha! We’re onto it!

Can’t have our favourite AC reviewer getting cold now can we!

Best Regards,

Sales & Marketing

Allen Brothers (Fittings) Ltd

Hallmark Industrial Estate

Southminster        

Essex  CM0 7EH

United Kingdom

• Like 7
On 3/3/2021 at 9:34 PM, Paddywackery said:

Maybe Mozzy should do his own line of jumpers.

He could do them at 15% of the price of the Ineos gear and still make enormous profits. 

• Like 2

Clearly intent on developing a side line as a fashion icon. He will be getting a call soon from Mrs Bertelli for guidance on the Prada jumper range. 

• Like 1

Tom, just ignore this bunch of (friendly) bastards!

Better to have a smart sailing analyst as you are, with vintage looking jumpers rather than a prick with stylish look ;-)

I don't worry about fashion. I am told it goes in circles, so eventually I'll meet it again.  

Plus, when you're as good looking as me, you can pull off any pullover :lol:

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Upping the game on a Monday :P

Very interesting analysis from Mozzy and co. Let's hope it's exciting. I find it hard to think that 4 years hard work could be wrapped in 4 days. Yikes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Very interesting analysis from Mozzy and co. Let's hope it's exciting. I find it hard to think that 4 years hard work could be wrapped in 4 days. Yikes.

Guess which one of the three received the horse head as a warning :D

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Guess which one of the three received the horse head as a warning :D

Sheep's head. Get your facts straight.

It is confirmed that right before shooting the AC predictions video, @Mozzy Sails
received a beautiful new jumper from an Italian supporter whose identity is still unknown :D horse-intarsia-pullover-sweater-sweaters-hope-henry-girl_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.3336e521b69c74faf2a5ef21e5e12abb.jpg

• Like 2
On 3/9/2021 at 12:20 PM, strider470 said:

It is confirmed that right before shooting the AC predictions video, @Mozzy Sails
received a beautiful new jumper from an Italian supporter whose identity is still unknown :D horse-intarsia-pullover-sweater-sweaters-hope-henry-girl_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.3336e521b69c74faf2a5ef21e5e12abb.jpg

A horse's head? What a typically Italian threat! :D