Trailerable Dinghy/Small Keelboat recommendations for PNW?

So our 42' keelboat is stuck in a boatyard in Trinidad, with no sign of when the borders are going to open.  We've moved to Friday Harbor, and looking to get something small to scratch the sailing itch this summer.  Just going out for a weekend sail, but ideally something that's actually fun to sail in the light air we get around here all summer.  Any recommendations something we can car-top or probably trailer (max weight 2000 lbs) that can handle 2 adults and a medium dog?  We've been thinking along the lines of a Hobie or Prindle 16 in the multi department since there always seems to be a few on craigslist.   Just saw an ad for a Thistle in Victoria today that got my wife's heart racing, but don't think there's any way to get it here from there.  I know there are a lot of V-15s around in junior programs, but not sure that they'd work well for the dog.  Any suggestions?  

San Juan 21 is imminently trailerable and quite good in light air. The problem is, they are old-school ergonomics (ie you will feel like a bunch of 1st graders have been swinging 2x4s at you by the end of the day) and if the wind blows over about 12 they can get kinda scary.

Wilderness 21 on Craigslits if you're not so big on trailering.... for that matter, there's a San Juan 30 in Tacoma which a fuckin' BOSS in light air for not much coin, not trailerable either though and they say "diesel needs some TLC" which is code for "needs repower."

Sorry I can't be more help. Looks like the pickings are slim. Do NOT get a Flying Scot, if you want to go that route, get a Highlander (if you can find one).

FB- Doug

Capacity for 2 adults and a dog will rule out almost all car-topable boats. If you are looking for performance a beach cat is probably the best option as long as you are confident the dog will stay on the tramp. Skip the dog and tasers, V15, thistle or even a 505 could be fun if you like pulling strings. If you are willing to step down on sailing performance an oday or catalina daysailer would be more comfortable and dog friendly, and not require a wetsuit. If you want a true weekender a Kent Ranger 20 is a classic NW choice. It allows overnighting which would be fun in San Juans. Light air performance is not great, but a small electric outboard could compensate if needed. At the large end of the trailable spectrum is a Cat 22, here is a barn find near you, perhaps he will include the hay to help bed down the dog, https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/d/lynden-catalina-22-swing-keel/7274225640.html.

I am not saying these are the best boats, but are budget choices that often pop used locally and can be trailered by a reasonable car, with the exception of the 22.

Thanks for the thoughts - hoping for something that we can ramp launch and be rigged and sailing relatively quickly - not super keen on paying for storage for a second boat, even if we can use it.  It does seem slim pickings right now - there's a hobie 16 in bellingham, a Prindle 16 in mt vernon, and I've come across a few trailerable small keel boats in the kind of condition that the owners should be paying me to take them.  Don't mind pulling strings, but really looking for something that is pretty quick and easy to go from driveway to water.  Will keep my eyes open for some more daysailory boats, but doesn't seem to be any on the market right now.  Think that perhaps I am leaning a bit too much towards performance and my wife is leaning a bit more towards "lets take the dog and a 6 pack and chill"

I've never been in a thistle, but sailed near them back in high school in a laser 2, and remember them absolutely smoking us in light air.  Lots of strings to pull?  Too much brightwork and framing/etc inside for a nimble 40 lb dog to clamber around and feel good about it?  Found one for sail locally that is a bit out of budget but sounds fairly mint.

Ranger20, great pelican, Highlander, flying scot, lightning, sj 21. All come to mind immediately. I’d not pick a thistle, no nice way to overnight, and pretty easy to roll.  No flotation or etc. fun boats to race for sure.

Anywhere else I should be looking for listings?  Been watching Craigslist and local facebook buy sell trade, and took a look at SA classifieds.  Any decent local/regional resources to keep an eye on?

A J/70?  Seems to tick most of your boxes and one added benefit is there are currently 8 of them racing actively over on West Sound on Orcas.  

57 minutes ago, hdra said:

Anywhere else I should be looking for listings?  Been watching Craigslist and local facebook buy sell trade, and took a look at SA classifieds.  Any decent local/regional resources to keep an eye on?

I supect the gloom of the NW winter is keeping listings to a minimum. Within a month or two you should have a lot more choices on CR. Look at both the Skagit and Seattle pages.

Friday Harbor and small daysailer don’t mix well.  You need something that can easily sail well above 4 knots or be satisfied to get flushed N or S depending on the tide.  Trailerable?  Say good bye to spontaneity, oh, and what ramp do you expect to use? No public ones that I’m aware of anyway.  Lived there for 5 years, cruised and daysailed there.  Lovely place but San Juan island is surrounded by strong currents on all sides.   Strong currents, light airs and small boats lead to muy frustration.  YMMV.

• Like 2

I used to own a Flying Scot for about 15 yrs.  Great trailer sailor. Very stable. Launch in 30 minutes. Routinely sailed with the kids and a dog. Best part is resale value. Buy a good used one and it will be easily resold. 

• Like 2

If you can find one nearby the teak railed Thistles are a little less maintenance but still pretty boats, no varnish so your pawed friend is less of an issue, just oil the teak periodically.. Racing a thistle has a lot of strings, but if you skip the spinnaker its simple and light for day sailing.  One set of shrouds, no back stay, deck stepped mast... Can't fix the low boom, well actually I did, but it took a little effort. I made a sliding gooseneck for day sailing with a cut down main,... 

11 hours ago, hdra said:

Call the Seattle Hobie fleet if you are looking for that, I think I can get a contact if you have trouble.  Talk to someone at Sail Sand Point for leads, lots of hobies there, print up and leave non water soluble, printed, well scripted notes on anything of interest to you.  Walk the docks; Leshi, Shilshole dingy docks, etc... Leave a WTB note on the Shilshole office bulletin board if they still have one or any of the above or below.  Call CYC and SYC to see if they have a similar bulletin board.  A lot of those guys may know where a forgotten old dingy may be squirreled away.  Call Dagmars and any of the local marinas or yards to see if they have any "abandoned" boats or moorage delinquencies or bulletin board.  Place WTB adds in CL, FB, etc...  I've joined next door neighbor and they have a market place with all kinds of odd stuff and a WTB section that turns up lots of odd stuff.  My DiL is active on Buy Nothing with the same kind of results.  Any of these and other sites could turn up someone who'd love to get rid of some item (boat) but haven't taken the initiative to try and sell it.  Lots of disused, forgotten, "fully amortized" small boats all over the place just waiting for an enthusiastic owner to show up and take it off someones hands for nothing or a pittance.  You just have to dig them out if you're motivated in that way.  Sailboat listings is one of my favorite.  Vancouver Lake Sailing Club and Eugene Yacht club have sizable Lightning fleets and may know of that class boats for sale. 

Almost forgot, my club, NW Multihull Association might be able to find an F24 if you want to go that big.    The best can rig it in half an hour from trailer to sailing. PM me.

1 hour ago, Veeger said:

Friday Harbor and small daysailer don’t mix well.  You need something that can easily sail well above 4 knots or be satisfied to get flushed N or S depending on the tide.  Trailerable?  Say good bye to spontaneity, oh, and what ramp do you expect to use? No public ones that I’m aware of anyway.  Lived there for 5 years, cruised and daysailed there.  Lovely place but San Juan island is surrounded by strong currents on all sides.   Strong currents, light airs and small boats lead to muy frustration.  YMMV.

Was planning to launch out of Jackson's...   we've kayaked out of there and the currents aren't a huge issue, and I know that the high school sails V-15s from there as well.  Not sure how often they have to get towed back to the ramp...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, hdra said:

Was planning to launch out of Jackson's...   we've kayaked out of there and the currents aren't a huge issue, and I know that the high school sails V-15s from there as well.  Not sure how often they have to get towed back to the ramp...

Yep, about the only place.  (I thought about that after I posted...).  Avoids most of the mobo wakes too

23 minutes ago, Veeger said:

Yep, about the only place.  (I thought about that after I posted...).  Avoids most of the mobo wakes too

There's always a few... were walking on the beach there this fall and saw an asshole wake some kayaks, and when they yelled he dropped down to just off plane and came back and circled them just to really emphasize what an ass he was.  Otherwise I think should be decent!

If you do decide to go the dinghy route,  to avoid the mass and expense of a keelboat,  or whatever reason - and you don't want to get into the performance level of a 5o5,  and you want simplicity and just great sailing for two normal-sized people,  you simply cannot do any better than a Taser,  or failing that, a Wayfarer. imo  But the Taser is really greatly overlooked here. 

There are a few local forsale groups on Facebook.  I run one called "Seattle Sailing Buy/Sell/Trade" and there is also "PNW Used Sailing Gear".

Watch those and also post a wanted ad in those and I think something might turn up.  A 70s 5O5 (that I owned a while back and has changed hands since then) was recently given away on those groups for example.

If you join the Seattle Sailing one please make sure to fill out the questions when joining.  I filter out the ones who don't assuming that they are joining to spam.

Hotfoot 20.  Retractable keel.  Ultimate 20 was based on these.  Hard to find but there is one for sale in Calgary AB https://www.ghostlakerecreations.com/boats-for-sale/hotfoot-20/ ,  but would be an easy tow to the coast.  If you can find someone with a commercial license to tow it, you should be fine with getting it across the border.

Martin 242 is another PNW flyer.  Good resale value because there is still a very active fleet in Vancouver.  Most will be in the Vancouver area, but you can find someone with a captains license to deliver it for you for a relatively small charge.  Fixed keel but trailerable.  Several for sale by a local sailing group.  Ad pops in and out of Vancouver CL but currently not advertised.

Pocket Rocket 22s are another candidate.  Mull design - very dinghy like.  There is/was one for sale recently in the Gulf islands.  Again fixed keel trailerable

10 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

If you do decide to go the dinghy route,  to avoid the mass and expense of a keelboat,  or whatever reason - and you don't want to get into the performance level of a 5o5,  and you want simplicity and just great sailing for two normal-sized people,  you simply cannot do any better than a Taser,  or failing that, a Wayfarer. imo  But the Taser is really greatly overlooked here. 

Both boats are old designs now.  I much prefer my Laser 2000: modern hull shape, modern set-up, easy-to-use asymmetric.

International 110 is the answer.  Great cockpit for dogs.  Fast in light air.  Fleet building in Bainbridge Island that you can sell to some day if desired.  900lbs, tows behind a wagon.  One for sale in Colorado ready to sail and it sounds like he'll drive to meet you.  https://110class.com/classified-ads/show-ad/560/705-ready-to-race-international-110-3500-located-colorado/colorado/ready-to-sail/ 

8 hours ago, Alex W said:

There are a few local forsale groups on Facebook.  I run one called "Seattle Sailing Buy/Sell/Trade" and there is also "PNW Used Sailing Gear".

Watch those and also post a wanted ad in those and I think something might turn up.  A 70s 5O5 (that I owned a while back and has changed hands since then) was recently given away on those groups for example.

If you join the Seattle Sailing one please make sure to fill out the questions when joining.  I filter out the ones who don't assuming that they are joining to spam.

Thanks Alex - will start lurking on those groups.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, WCB said:

International 110 is the answer.  Great cockpit for dogs.  Fast in light air.  Fleet building in Bainbridge Island that you can sell to some day if desired.  900lbs, tows behind a wagon.  One for sale in Colorado ready to sail and it sounds like he'll drive to meet you.  https://110class.com/classified-ads/show-ad/560/705-ready-to-race-international-110-3500-located-colorado/colorado/ready-to-sail/ 

I think that may be the first monohull I have ever thought seriously about buying. The 110 has always done something for me.

Someone at our club bought an old plywood 110 and raced it well this past summer. I would know, my brother leased his J-22 for the season and couldn’t catch that 110!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

I think that may be the first monohull I have ever thought seriously about buying. The 110 has always done something for me.

That is a FANTASTIC cockpit for dogs. Probably no better boat that this other than a more stable catamaran (reynolds 21 - 33?)

Unfortunately it doesn't have a place to sleep or poop (cruise), but for only 2k that leaves you PLENTY of dollars to spend supporting all of the fantastic hotels - and bars - all up and down the sound. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I know right?  I recently bought a Melges 24 but I can't see myself getting rid of the 110 either.  It's light, small, has a trap on it.  I can't wait to get my little boys out on it for learning to trap and in general racing with me.  Plus there's an amazing fleet of 20+ of them in Inverness, Calif.

2 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

That is a FANTASTIC cockpit for dogs. Probably no better boat that this other than a more stable catamaran (reynolds 21 - 33?)

Unfortunately it doesn't have a place to sleep or poop (cruise), but for only 2k that leaves you PLENTY of dollars to spend supporting all of the fantastic hotels - and bars - all up and down the sound. 

I don't think any 110er would ever recommend sleeping in a 110.  However, I know it's been done many times.  My father once slept in his 210 and he said he'd never do it again.  Too light.  It bounced around all night, and it's about three times as heavy as a 110.

15 hours ago, hdra said:

Thanks Alex - will start lurking on those groups.

Don't shy away from posting WTB type ads.  A lot of people sit on boats that might be ready for sale.

5 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

Want to leave after lunch to go get this

If we could tow it behind our station wagon I think my wife would have left me at home and driven to Florida to get it already.  

Had you been in the UK I'd have recommended one of these http://www.yeomankinsman.org.uk/kinsman/kinsman.shtm

I race the fixed keel version the Yeoman, it's comfortable has a deep cockpit that when cruising can take 4 adults. I've raced when the wind reached 40knots ( inland) hard work but the boat can take it.

I think this style of boat is what you are looking for.

The dog and 'cruising' requirements are the crux of your boat choice and would make me go displacement...

Isn't this Seascape's exact niche? Are they still around? 

Fareast 19?

If dinghy, have you looked at an already suggested Weta?

What's the little sailing club down at Jackson Beach? Maybe go down check it out?

Screenshot_20210227-180626.png

Team duraflame might be a shed still the south end of the harbor. /s

On 2/26/2021 at 11:01 AM, hdra said:

If we could tow it behind our station wagon I think my wife would have left me at home and driven to Florida to get it already.  

Time to upgrade the wagon

• Like 1

The wife told me today to go buy that Perry 20 but the keel-stepped mast meant I would just own it until I move closer to water in 10 years/never. I probably wouldn't be able to not buy it for very long, was looking at the ad every few hours. I'm sad/glad it's sold.

On 2/24/2021 at 5:44 AM, Veeger said:

The ramps around here suck.  Get something you can keep in a slip.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:07 PM, hobot said:

What's the little sailing club down at Jackson Beach? Maybe go down check it out?

Screenshot_20210227-180626.png

Team duraflame might be a shed still the south end of the harbor. /s

It looks so much better from a satellite....

im still trying to figure how to launch the K1 without scratching the shit out of it...

Friday Harbor has almost nothing for a dinghy, Roche loves to look you in the eye and say ‘no’, and the county just got rid of the ramp at one of the west side marinas.  

all of the the ramps are deteriorating, and when the tide is out, most are useless, and if they aren’t, you have to deal with commercial barges using them.  Maybe a kayak would be better?  I’ll try to post a pic of an Exploder cat at Jackson Beach and it will break your heart.  The Port just bought Jensen’s, so God knows what will happen to that, and figuring anything out viz the private docks in between the two, in the time of COVID, is a head scratcher.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Amati said:

It looks so much better from a satellite....

im still trying to figure how to launch the K1 without scratching the shit out of it...

I haven't actually gone to look at the ramp yet - just seen it at the end of the road.  Is the issue just a rough dock?  We're leaning towards something on the small end - maybe a 14-15' dinghy this year, and if dog gets on okay with some afternoon sails off Jacksons upgrading to something with a bit more oomph next year.

3 minutes ago, hdra said:

I haven't actually gone to look at the ramp yet - just seen it at the end of the road.  Is the issue just a rough dock?  We're leaning towards something on the small end - maybe a 14-15' dinghy this year, and if dog gets on okay with some afternoon sails off Jacksons upgrading to something with a bit more oomph next year.

Concrete is slimy and breaking up, the dock is not clean of shells, etc.  I despair spending the time to clean it to use it.  Go down and look at it.  The kayak rentals use the beach on the other side of the spit to launch.  This is a keelboat friendly place, not a dinghy friendly place.  You can check out the dinghy dock at Friday Harbor, if there are spots open.  Whether you would leave sails down there on the boat when not using them?  Not exactly a ‘let’s go down for an hour sail’ set up, IMHO.

For cruising around San Juan island a kayak would be a good way to go. Multiple launch locations, inexpensive, low maintenance....

Used to work for Peter and Barbara at EasyRider down in Tukwila. The Sea Eagle model is very stable and has a center hatch big enough for a Lab adore you be comfortable, plus there's lots of factory goodies that can be added to it.

FWIW...for the PNW, insulation pads will make a huge difference for everyone's comfort.

https://www.easyriderkayaks.com/seaeaglecrx.htm

seaeagle-18x.jpg

patrick-carr-kNvMlMCzY9A-unsplash-1-300x160.jpg

1 minute ago, hobot said:

For cruising around San Juan island a kayak would be a good way to go. Multiple launch locations, inexpensive, low maintenance....

Used to work for Peter and Barbara at Easy rider down in Tukwila. The Sea Eagle model is very stable and has a center hatch big enough for a Lab adore you be comfortable, plus there's lots of factory goodies that can be added to it.

FWIW...for the PNW, insulation pads will make a huge difference for everyone's comfort.

https://www.easyriderkayaks.com/seaeaglecrx.htm

seaeagle-18x.jpg

patrick-carr-kNvMlMCzY9A-unsplash-1-300x160.jpg

Rotomolded.....

13 minutes ago, hobot said:

Not as repairable as 'glass like these are.

I didn’t say it right, sorry.  I’d suggest rotomolded - they don’t mind a rocky beach/ with driftwood as much.  At least at first... ;)  I really love carbon or glas kayaks , but dragging one across a rocky beach, and 25 yards of piled up logs?  Or a rough ramp, when you forget a mat? When your arms are tired?  It’s bad enough with a paddle board.....

Finally a topic I know something about.  You can't beat skin on frame in a kayak.  Super tough and half the weight.  Perfectly happy being dragged up the beach if necessary. 

Picture

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 5:07 PM, hdra said:

Thanks for the thoughts - hoping for something that we can ramp launch and be rigged and sailing relatively quickly - not super keen on paying for storage for a second boat, even if we can use it.  It does seem slim pickings right now - there's a hobie 16 in bellingham, a Prindle 16 in mt vernon, and I've come across a few trailerable small keel boats in the kind of condition that the owners should be paying me to take them.  Don't mind pulling strings, but really looking for something that is pretty quick and easy to go from driveway to water.  Will keep my eyes open for some more daysailory boats, but doesn't seem to be any on the market right now.  Think that perhaps I am leaning a bit too much towards performance and my wife is leaning a bit more towards "lets take the dog and a 6 pack and chill"

I've never been in a thistle, but sailed near them back in high school in a laser 2, and remember them absolutely smoking us in light air.  Lots of strings to pull?  Too much brightwork and framing/etc inside for a nimble 40 lb dog to clamber around and feel good about it?  Found one for sail locally that is a bit out of budget but sounds fairly mint.

If you like hiking on a 1” rail.  At least they don’t leave permanent creases in your hamstrings.  I think.  Neat boats to sail though....

In Friday Harbor, too bad that guy with the rental mini 12's went away, those things were fun!

• Like 1

Just as an update, we ended up buying an Catalina expo 14.2 - think it will be a bit slower and closer to home than I would like, but is easy to trailer, fast to launch, and super dog friendly.  found one in almost perfect shape for a great deal with a trailer.  Will be a good afternoon sailer this summer, and if we decide we want something bigger/faster, should be pretty easy to sell.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hdra said:

Just as an update, we ended up buying an Catalina expo 14.2 - think it will be a bit slower and closer to home than I would like, but is easy to trailer, fast to launch, and super dog friendly.  found one in almost perfect shape for a great deal with a trailer.  Will be a good afternoon sailer this summer, and if we decide we want something bigger/faster, should be pretty easy to sell.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Think about a small electric motor- the tides around here are frisky enough and the winds fickle enough - depends where you are- the Catalina should be fun!

9 hours ago, Amati said:

Think about a small electric motor- the tides around here are frisky enough and the winds fickle enough - depends where you are- the Catalina should be fun!

Thanks for the suggestion - that's a good idea.  Will look into it.