Looking for Pacific Proa plans

Hi All

I'm looking for Pacific Proa plans, preferably in wood, from 24'-40', I'm interested in composite builds too if only for ideas.

I'm also interested in Atlantic Proa plans in the same length.

at the moment I have plans for Mbuli and Madness as well as Gary Dierking's book on building outrigger canoes, Bolgers "Folding Schooner and Other Adventures" which has a 40' proa is in the mail.

Any links to pacific/atlantic proa plans you can share would be greatly appreciated.

2b

The Bieker 32' proa is the most thought-through proa I can think of. it was originally designed for Ryan Finn before he bought Jzerro. 1 or 2 of them are being built in Europe. It's not an especially simple boat and the design fee reflects how much work went into the design and how much consultation would be required. It is designed as a kit, so building could be quick. The boat has lots of volume for its size and would be very fast.

Glad that the "ocean people" aren't using my name any more. I don't agree with some of their politics or statements like "practically uncapsizable"

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

Glad that the "ocean people" aren't using my name any more. I don't agree with some of their politics or statements like "practically uncapsizable"

You're still listed as an "advisor".

2 hours ago, KONeill said:

None of that looks very confidence inspiring to me, honestly. Not trying to slag on anyone having fun in boats, but I wouldn't buy plans from them.

Looks as though it would pitch itself to a standstill too. I wasn't recommending it just putting it out there.

8 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

They are using your name and images extensively, including construction photos I took of Jzerro(your video too - "Big Splash will sail like this")

https://oceanpeople.org/russell-brown-proa-pioneer/
https://oceanpeople.org/construction-methods/

Really annoying that all their pages open in new browser tabs.

Also:
https://oceanpeople.org/jim-brown-multihull-pioneer/
https://oceanpeople.org/john-marples-multihull-pioneer/

23 hours ago, TwoBirds said:

Hi All

I'm looking for Pacific Proa plans, preferably in wood, from 24'-40', I'm interested in composite builds too if only for ideas.

I'm also interested in Atlantic Proa plans in the same length.

at the moment I have plans for Mbuli and Madness as well as Gary Dierking's book on building outrigger canoes, Bolgers "Folding Schooner and Other Adventures" which has a 40' proa is in the mail.

Any links to pacific/atlantic proa plans you can share would be greatly appreciated.

2b

TwoBirds, I PM'd you. Check your mailbox...

• Like 1

These guys are either scammers or dreamers. 

I bet I could capsize her quite easily - especially as they are marketing it an autonomous vessel to sail into a hurricane!

Coconut looks skinny, fast, unsinkable, and practically uncapsizeable. She is.

Going-Up-4-700px.jpg

"We have 7.5 one-percent shares available to new shareholders for $100,000 each; this will allow us to develop The Pocket Rocket prototype into a fully autonomous sailing research vessel,"

"* Let’s You Don’t Sue Us Disclaimer: Views expressed on this website, particularly those involving autonomous vessels, are only the opinion of our webmaster, and do not constitute statements of fact."

• Like 2

Thanks everybody

I'm interested in all pacific/atlantic proa plans, unfortunately my "Perfect Proa" hasn't been built yet although I'm waiting for those Bieker proas to hit the water with bated breath, those boats are going to be amazing.

I'm mainly interested in ideas to incorporate into a design, even the least likely seeming set of plans might have something I can use. 

I did get a kick out of the "Uncapsizable" claim, give me 10 knots of wind and 30 seconds I could turtle that boat no problem :) I might have bought a set of their plans though if they weren't using other designers names fraudulently.

2b

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 3:51 AM, TwoBirds said:

Thanks everybody

I'm interested in all pacific/atlantic proa plans, unfortunately my "Perfect Proa" hasn't been built yet

Could you let us know what your requirements for the Perfect Proa are?