Jump to content

Tiger drives into the rough


Recommended Posts

I don't care about golf. I don't give a flying fuck about what Tiger Woods does on, or off the links, as long as no one else was hurt.

 Why this is news is beyond me. If my neighbor rolled his car at 7:15 AM it wouldn't make the news, and the locals would assume he  was on his way to work, got distracted by a spilled cup of coffee, or was avoiding a suicidal deer, and drove off the road.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

I don't care about golf. I don't give a flying fuck about what Tiger Woods does on, or off the links, as long as no one else was hurt.

 Why this is news is beyond me. If my neighbor rolled his car at 7:15 AM it wouldn't make the news, and the locals would assume he  was on his way to work, got distracted by a spilled cup of coffee, or was avoiding a suicidal deer, and drove off the road.

Do you understand the concept of celebrity?  Check with your little finger.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really get starry eyed over "celebrities", so no I don't really get the concept. Most of the very famous people that I've known/know are just regular people. Maybe that's because the ones that are consumed with their own celebrity wouldn't associate with the likes of me..... I'm just lucky that way I guess. No one really impresses me just because. I'm impressed by people who are people first, and do amazing things as a hobby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Lets hope he was leaving home to start his day vs on his way home after hookers and blow. We will find out thats for sure.

Hookers and blow is a great way to START a day!  Were you never young? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I don't care about golf. I don't give a flying fuck about what Tiger Woods does on, or off the links, as long as no one else was hurt.

 Why this is news is beyond me. If my neighbor rolled his car at 7:15 AM it wouldn't make the news, and the locals would assume he  was on his way to work, got distracted by a spilled cup of coffee, or was avoiding a suicidal deer, and drove off the road.

Well for one he's the second best golfer of all time and is well known all around the world, and he has had a huge affect on 
young minorities taking up the  sport,  and he has influenced millions of people.  Some good, some bad.  And he is an amazing sports comeback story
who has even fucked Lindsay Vonn. His foundation gives tens of millions of dollars to charity and educational scholarships.  

You neighbor is only known for having the misfortune of living next to you.   Nobody gives a shit about your neighbor wrecking his car. Millions want to know what Tiger  is up to. 

That's why.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Hookers and blow is a great way to START a day!  Were you never young? 

Never started the day with hookers...... Hussies, tramps, mattress backed bar flies, yes, but never hookers.

 Blow............. There was a weekend back in 84.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

lots of baggage, looks like he was starting or ending a trip

His tires are the wrong shape. And yes, he clearly has lots of baggage.... Probably due to his early celebrity status.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hobot said:

Didn't he play in the tournament at Riviera this last weekend? Likely headed to LAX to head back to FLA?

I think he was doing a charity appearance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hobot said:

Didn't he play in the tournament at Riviera this last weekend? Likely headed to LAX to head back to FLA?

He's the annual host of the tournament.  He didn't play.. He is still rehabbing from December back surgery I think.  Lets ask Mrleft8 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hobot said:

Didn't he play in the tournament at Riviera this last weekend? Likely headed to LAX to head back to FLA?

Didn't play, he was "host"  There was talk he might play Augusta this year, but that ain't gonna happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

according to Golfweek/USAtoday ... According to reports, Woods was heading to the second day of a photo/video shoot giving lessons to celebrities. On Monday, he shot a segment with NBA star Dwyane Wade.

 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/02/23/tiger-woods-update-injury-car-crash-jaws-of-life/

Link to post
Share on other sites

He crashed on a relatively steep section of road.  It's at least a 6% grade, with a run-away truck gravel pit near where he went off the road.  Traffic commonly does well over the speed limit, especially during commute times.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hobot said:

Didn't he play in the tournament at Riviera this last weekend? Likely headed to LAX to head back to FLA?

I doubt Tiger has stepped foot at LAX in many years.  There are a number of smaller airports nearby that can handle his jet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I don't care about golf. I don't give a flying fuck about what Tiger Woods does on, or off the links, as long as no one else was hurt.

 Why this is news is beyond me. If my neighbor rolled his car at 7:15 AM it wouldn't make the news, and the locals would assume he  was on his way to work, got distracted by a spilled cup of coffee, or was avoiding a suicidal deer, and drove off the road.

I don't know who your neighbor is but I've known Tiger Woods since he was 17. And I don't even live in the same continent. If you are so stupid to not understand why this makes the news, I will tell you: 

You are stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Too round? 

I was thinking kind of.... Flat, and square on the bottom, and the sidewalls are kind of.... Not quite what I look for in a tire.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hobot said:

Didn't he play in the tournament at Riviera this last weekend? Likely headed to LAX to head back to FLA?

He didn’t play. Had his 5th back surgery recently.  He was the host of the Rivera Tournament 

edit: sorry, didn’t see the comments about his hosting and not playing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, silent bob said:

Holy shit. An actual news article with facts and local color and first hand accounts of the venue and its history. Surprise of the week.I still think it was likely Jews with lasers in the dining room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

His emergency surgery put steel pins in his legs.  Odds are he is screwed from playing professionally.

 

Also he is a shitty driver this is his what 3rd major accident?  Who should just hire a driver/ bodyguard and only drive a golf cart.

 

Of course that might e the issue he can't handle acceleration

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't provide much of an advertisement for the Hyundai luxury model Genesis GV80 he was driving. While the front end looks pretty crumpled, there should not be crushing of the driver or passenger compartments like he apparently suffered.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/2021/genesis-gv80.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Doesn't provide much of an advertisement for the Hyundai luxury model Genesis GV80 he was driving. While the front end looks pretty crumpled, there should not be crushing of the driver or passenger compartments like he apparently suffered.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/2021/genesis-gv80.html

Well,  two things that may refute that.  

It has a top safety record and, 

Tiger is not dead.  

Although in the 90's  I did see an elderly couple in a 560 SEL roll it over 3-4 rotations on a parkway right in front of me.
Landed upright. They were shaken but the door opened and they were ok.  Sold me on MBs 
Downside is about 12 MPG 


 

  
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From pictures, the passenger compartment doesn’t look so bad. What we can’t tell is the intrusion from the front/engine etc. that part of the car looks like it could have caused some intrusion/dash collapse. Can’t tell. A tib/fib comminuted open fracture kinda indicates a torsional or crushing injury. The extrication doesn’t look complicated, peeled the windshield to take him out is all I saw. I’ll be mildly interested to see if they also had to free up the leg before taking him out. The news talked about the “jaws of life” (very dramatic name that always makes me smile) and you don’t need that to peel a windshield. The only interview I’ve seen is the PR hound cop who heroically sat and talked with him to “keep him from going into shock” (never mind thats bullshit). Typical cops.......”thanks for standing around now could you get out of the way please”. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Point Break said:

The news talked about the “jaws of life” (very dramatic name that always makes me smile)

Do you guys just call it a "Hurst"?

Little known fact - George Hurst invented those hydraulic cutters and made his potful and only then started making the shifters that everyone knows him for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Do you guys just call it a "Hurst"?

Little known fact - George Hurst invented those hydraulic cutters and made his potful and only then started making the shifters that everyone knows him for.

There are so many manufacturers now that it would be kinda like calling a photocopy a xerox. Besides, now there are so many hydraulic tools that all attach to the portable compressor that we call that particular tool "the spreaders". There are several cutters as well, and the spreaders have multiple tips depending on whether you are pushing or pulling. The news calls them the "jaws" not us. At least not anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

From pictures, the passenger compartment doesn’t look so bad. What we can’t tell is the intrusion from the front/engine etc. that part of the car looks like it could have caused some intrusion/dash collapse. Can’t tell. A tib/fib comminuted open fracture kinda indicates a torsional or crushing injury. The extrication doesn’t look complicated, peeled the windshield to take him out is all I saw. I’ll be mildly interested to see if they also had to free up the leg before taking him out. The news talked about the “jaws of life” (very dramatic name that always makes me smile) and you don’t need that to peel a windshield. The only interview I’ve seen is the PR hound cop who heroically sat and talked with him to “keep him from going into shock” (never mind thats bullshit). Typical cops.......”thanks for standing around now could you get out of the way please”. 

I saw an updated story that corrected the JOL to "They used an axe to remove the windshield."   Given the car ended up driver side down, that makes sense.  OTH, I have watched our VFD do a destructive disassembly on a minivan that ended up on it's side.  The rolled it the wrong way, destroying the roof and other side and punched out the windows and pried open the hood to cut the battery cable.  Of course, the lady and her two kids had already exited the van before they arrived as it was a slow speed roll and they were all belted in and uninjured.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Point Break said:

From pictures, the passenger compartment doesn’t look so bad. What we can’t tell is the intrusion from the front/engine etc. that part of the car looks like it could have caused some intrusion/dash collapse. Can’t tell. A tib/fib comminuted open fracture kinda indicates a torsional or crushing injury. The extrication doesn’t look complicated, peeled the windshield to take him out is all I saw. I’ll be mildly interested to see if they also had to free up the leg before taking him out. The news talked about the “jaws of life” (very dramatic name that always makes me smile) and you don’t need that to peel a windshield. The only interview I’ve seen is the PR hound cop who heroically sat and talked with him to “keep him from going into shock” (never mind thats bullshit). Typical cops.......”thanks for standing around now could you get out of the way please”. 

I don't think a single cop or news talking head knows what "shock" is or how idiotic they sound when mentioning it.

Another one that rubs me wrong is the use of "accident" to describe any crash. For what it's worth in my 30 year career I responded to my share or crashes, not on of them was an "accident". All were a direct result of a drivers action or failure to act. Usually speed or inattention was the culprit. Or blame it on the vehicle, "the car went out of control" or "the car slid on the ice".

Idiots.

rant over

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bmiller said:

Another one that rubs me wrong is the use of "accident" to describe any crash. For what it's worth in my 30 year career I responded to my share or crashes, not on of them was an "accident". All were a direct result of a drivers action or failure to act. Usually speed or inattention was the culprit. Or blame it on the vehicle, "the car went out of control" or "the car slid on the ice".

Idiots.

rant over

The one that pisses me off is when they blame the vehicle for the crash.

"The car went out of control and hit the pole"

"The truck slid into the ditch and rolled several times"

 The driver was just along for the ride.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I don't think a single cop or news talking head knows what "shock" is or how idiotic they sound when mentioning it.

Another one that rubs me wrong is the use of "accident" to describe any crash. For what it's worth in my 30 year career I responded to my share of crashes, not one of them was an "accident". All were a direct result of a drivers action or failure to act. Usually speed or inattention was the culprit. Or blame it on the vehicle, "the car went out of control" or "the car slid on the ice".

Idiots.

rant over

An accident is like the overpass collapsing on your car, or an asteroid strike....   Way back in time  when in a motorcycle safety class,  the instructor pointed out that very thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the safety tech in cars today there’s gotta be a way to prevent the driver from manually operating their cellphone. Certain 2020 models that have cameras trained on the driver to activate predictive features (where the drivers eyes are looking) when combined with certain Bluetooth code would be able to do it if it became  a higher priority.

Either that or penalize distracted driving with the same veracity as drunk driving. Of course...they scanned for sobriety but is anyone gonna send his cellphone to the lab?

Im obviously speculating here but if I was gonna lay a fin on how he ended up in the rough, that would be my bet...

Anyway, good luck to him with his recovery.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Another one that rubs me wrong is the use of "accident" to describe any crash. For what it's worth in my 30 year career I responded to my share or crashes, not on of them was an "accident". All were a direct result of a drivers action or failure to act.

I react the same anytime there is a firearms accident and someone says "the gun just went off".  Guns don't just "go off".  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sledracr said:

I react the same anytime there is a firearms accident and someone says "the gun just went off".  Guns don't just "go off".  

I prefer the term "negligent discharge"

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I saw an updated story that corrected the JOL to "They used an axe to remove the windshield."   Given the car ended up driver side down, that makes sense.  OTH, I have watched our VFD do a destructive disassembly on a minivan that ended up on it's side.  The rolled it the wrong way, destroying the roof and other side and punched out the windows and pried open the hood to cut the battery cable.  Of course, the lady and her two kids had already exited the van before they arrived as it was a slow speed roll and they were all belted in and uninjured.  

Well.............there is the "tool imperative". If you have these cool tools to rip shit apart............you want to rip shit apart and you can knowingly or unknowingly talk your self into "needing" to rip shit apart. Thats where having an experienced Rescue Captain is worth its weight in gold. My Truck Captain was the best. Walk up, lean in, look under to survey the situation, ask the medics about patient status - in other words how fast does this patient need to come out? If the patient is losing ground quickly, he will take some short cuts and some risks to make it happen fast. Then he chats with the crew about what he wants done. He rarely touches a tool (unless he gets frustrated with the crew) but watches intently adjusting the plan and coaching/directing the crew as they work. I very rarely stuck my nose into his business so on the very rare occasion I did he was open to my thoughts. Worth his weight in gold in those settings. Inexperienced crews and officers rush in and start cutting/prying/pulling and blabbering about what's the "best" idea to get the patient out. The loudest one gets his way. Not good............

The fire service has a well worn saying.........."try before you pry". There's a reason for that. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sailforbeer said:

Is that one or two of chapters of material in your book?!

Oh............there are several chapters planned for that. There is one whole chapter dedicated to teaching cops where to park..........not in front of fire hydrants, not in front of the fire building, not right next to the car where the patient is trapped, not downhill from the vehicle fire with fuel leaking that is also on fire (guess where its gonna run to)............I could go on. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to tell, but just saw footage of the Genesis being carried away and is it possible the engine was ripped right out of the car? That kind of impact, perhaps from landing on the front right side after a pitchpole, might account for the smashing of his right leg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Hard to tell, but just saw footage of the Genesis being carried away and is it possible the engine was ripped right out of the car? That kind of impact, perhaps from landing on the front right side after a pitchpole, might account for the smashing of his right leg.

Very possible. Seen it a number of times. The really amazing ones are when the car is cut in half and the engine launches as well. You just shake your head and think "holy shit....now thats an impact!" Something not yet mentioned. Given the torsional forces at play and getting bounced around during the multiple rollovers.............hows the back after the 5th surgery. Wouldn't surprise me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Well.............there is the "tool imperative". If you have these cool tools to rip shit apart............you want to rip shit apart and you can knowingly or unknowingly talk your self into "needing" to rip shit apart. Thats where having an experienced Rescue Captain is worth its weight in gold. My Truck Captain was the best. Walk up, lean in, look under to survey the situation, ask the medics about patient status - in other words how fast does this patient need to come out? If the patient is losing ground quickly, he will take some short cuts and some risks to make it happen fast. Then he chats with the crew about what he wants done. He rarely touches a tool (unless he gets frustrated with the crew) but watches intently adjusting the plan and coaching/directing the crew as they work. I very rarely stuck my nose into his business so on the very rare occasion I did he was open to my thoughts. Worth his weight in gold in those settings. Inexperienced crews and officers rush in and start cutting/prying/pulling and blabbering about what's the "best" idea to get the patient out. The loudest one gets his way. Not good............

The fire service has a well worn saying.........."try before you pry". There's a reason for that. :lol:

Yeah, I see that. We have essentially an all volunteer force out here and it seems that a slow day sees every piece of equipment that can be manned up roll out for any call. Then you see it at the scene. A lot of folks walking around doing nothing. I was first on the scene of a single car accident where an old lady (older than me!) drove off the road and drifted down an embankment, crushing a few small trees on the way as I arrived, she exited the car and walked up the hill. Since it was raining slightly and cold, I reclined my passenger seat, turned on the seat heater and invited her to wait out of the rain, got her to show me her husband’s contact on her phone so I could call him and let him know she had had an accident and assure him she was shaken but seemed to be pretty OK. When the squad arrived with a paramedic truck and two fire trucks, they quickly blocked both directions of a rush hour road (car was at least 50 meters off the road) and made themselves busy wedging the hood open, cutting the battery cable and hosing it all down while the paramedics did a pretty credible job of immobilizing the lady’s neck and easing her out of my car and into a stretcher. 

Then there is the squad member who lit a porch couch on fore so his friend who was in duty and had complained “nothing ever happens on my watch” would have a fire to respond to. Naturally, the couch spread to the house and burned it down. The arsonist got charged and convicted for his stunt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Nope, a limo service is better. Katerina Witt driving a Maybach comes to mind.

same thing could be said for owning your own plane.  how many musicians left the earth as a results of a shitty private pilot....

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

same thing could be said for owning your own plane.  how many musicians left the earth as a results of a shitty private pilot....

 

 

Yep. Most would be safer and cheaper to buy into a fractional ownership of a fleet (net jets or similar” where the pilots are more experienced and the acquisition and maintenance costs shared. 
Friends who did the corporate pilot gig had some stories.  Rich owners don’t like to hear “weather is too bad, jet has a problem, etc”. Lots of pressure to fly in marginal conditions at short notice. Can’t have wine with dinner because the owner/CEO may suddenly decide to go somewhere.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, Point Break said:

 

The fire service has a well worn saying.........."try before you pry". There's a reason for that. :lol:

reminds me of the time my car got broken into while parked at the curb, broke the passenger side window to get in,   driver's door was unlocked..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, Blue Crab said:

Who hasn't fucked Lindsay Vonn?

White guys don't get to fuck Lindsay Vonn!

What's the car he trashed? Who's his car sponsor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

same thing could be said for owning your own plane.  how many musicians left the earth as a results of a shitty private pilot....

 

 

He has considered all these things but he has said he wants to drive himself. He’s just not very good at it. 
 

Hes  also estimated just shy of $1.0B net worth. 
 Cost of jet ownership is a rounding error and it’s business expense anyway. It’s very unlikely he has a shitty pilot(s) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

reminds me of the time my car got broken into while parked at the curb, broke the passenger side window to get in,   driver's door was unlocked..

Reminds me of the time SloopJohn B forgot he left his car windows open  and went outside to close them when it started raining.  But he came back in with a sad face. Car doors were locked and he couldn’t figure out how to  get in. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

 Cost of jet ownership is a rounding error and it’s business expense anyway. It’s very unlikely he has a shitty pilot(s) 

I know a guy that owns a G5 with a 10 hour range - $29M used.... Flying private is awesome!!! 

He went with direct ownership after a few bad NetJet experiences.

Turns out emergency landing a strange plane with smoke in the cabin and your family on board is not good!

He hand picked his crew and has a single strike rule for employment! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I know someone who broke their ankle in a car crash due to just pressing the brake pedal as hard as possible before and during the main impact.

We were in a highway crash some years ago. My wife was the passenger. We were clipped by a semi that drifted out of his lane (we think he fell asleep at the wheel). Anyway, we spun around 2 x 360's and our stern hit the concrete divider. She was pressing her feet so hard into the floor she got a compression fracture of her hip socket.

If you ever see a F1 crash you'll see the drivers take their hands off the wheel at the last second.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zonker said:

We were in a highway crash some years ago. My wife was the passenger. We were clipped by a semi that drifted out of his lane (we think he fell asleep at the wheel). Anyway, we spun around 2 x 360's and our stern hit the concrete divider. She was pressing her feet so hard into the floor she got a compression fracture of her hip socket.

If you ever see a F1 crash you'll see the drivers take their hands off the wheel at the last second.

takes a lot of practice to relax during a car crash at speed, not many can afford that kind of practice :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

takes a lot of practice to relax during a car crash at speed, not many can afford that kind of practice :)

Drunks tend to fare pretty well.  I had two friends who were at TRW Aerospace and during a slow period worked on signal processing of crash sensor data to determine whether to deploy the airbags.  They looked at all kinds of crash data and said there was always some drunk in a high speed crash that they would have to edit out as they were always unscathed.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

takes a lot of practice to relax during a car crash at speed, not many can afford that kind of practice :)

 

Man that's true. The department I retired from does a multi event (last minute lane change at 25 mph, backing, slalom, slalom in reverse, opposite alley backing etc) defensive driving course and certification for anyone driving a car or fire apparatus. For the most part each driver is required to perform the course in the vehicle they drive, the single exception is the tillered ladder trucks they don't do all the events, but most of them. The reason for that is you do not want to be in a skid in the skid pan in a tillered apparatus because mistakes are expensive and damage likely to the point of articulation between the tractor and tillered trailer. 

Anyway............I did that course many times and can attest that in the skid pan, even when you know the skid is coming and you have prepared for it and you know you're not gonna hit anything.....it takes real effort and concentration to not lock up and do the instinctive things....that are wrong.

BTW - try the skid pan in a 50,000 pound fire engine!! That is an impressive ride..............

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Drunks tend to fare pretty well.  I had two friends who were at TRW Aerospace and during a slow period worked on signal processing of crash sensor data to determine whether to deploy the airbags.  They looked at all kinds of crash data and said there was always some drunk in a high speed crash that they would have to edit out as they were always unscathed.  

We had an expression (I don't think its ours exclusively) that "God protects little children and drunks". From my perspective that is so true.Seen lots of unbelievable crashes that small children and runs walk away from.............unfortunately..............those numbers are not even close to 100%.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Man that's true. The department I retired from does a multi event (last minute lane change at 25 mph, backing, slalom, slalom in reverse, opposite alley backing etc) defensive driving course and certification for anyone driving a car or fire apparatus. For the most part each driver is required to perform the course in the vehicle they drive, the single exception is the tillered ladder trucks they don't do all the events, but most of them. The reason for that is you do not want to be in a skid in the skid pan in a tillered apparatus because mistakes are expensive and damage likely to the point of articulation between the tractor and tillered trailer. 

Anyway............I did that course many times and can attest that in the skid pan, even when you know the skid is coming and you have prepared for it and you know you're not gonna hit anything.....it takes real effort and concentration to not lock up and do the instinctive things....that are wrong.

BTW - try the skid pan in a 50,000 pound fire engine!! That is an impressive ride..............

Would love to see that. Does it hop or just slide around like a car?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Would love to see that. Does it hop or just slide around like a car?

Depends on how much water they put on the skid pan.:lol: Below is smaller engine company but you get the idea. I think its a volunteer FD back east somewhere. I think they do them in some companies in semi tractors as well.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

takes a lot of practice to relax during a car crash at speed, not many can afford that kind of practice :)

 

had an idiot in a nissan pathfinder from the opposite direction turn left in front of me,  intitialy i saw his hesitation, (i could see his face) so i thought he wasn't going to go and I didn't brake  and then the fucktard decided to go..     nothing i could do.. it's like the movies, you see the accident coming and everything was in slow motion..   t-boned him at about 45mph in my jetta wagon...  only injury i got was my left thumb sprained because i was holding onto the wheel with my thumb hooked over the steering rim...    i must say volkswagen engineers know how to design crumple zones..   engine baywas toast,  driver / passenger compartment didn't have any damage...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

had an idiot in a nissan pathfinder from the opposite direction turn left in front of me,  intitialy i saw his hesitation, (i could see his face) so i thought he wasn't going to go and I didn't brake  and then the fucktard decided to go..     nothing i could do.. it's like the movies, you see the accident coming and everything was in slow motion..   t-boned him at about 45mph in my jetta wagon...  only injury i got was my left thumb sprained because i was holding onto the wheel with my thumb hooked over the steering rim...    i must say volkswagen engineers know how to design crumple zones..   engine baywas toast,  driver / passenger compartment didn't have any damage...

glad you were ok but I also hope you don't ride a motorcycle! No room for assumptions on the bike, any whiff of silliness and you slow to below 30 as fast as you can

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

glad you were ok but I also hope you don't ride a motorcycle! No room for assumptions on the bike, any whiff of silliness and you slow to below 30 as fast as you can

the bike got parked about 5 years ago when i was about to leave for work and it wasn't running right...  i had spent about a year restoring it ( 1982 v45 magna) buying various doodads off ebay..  all i had to do was pull the tanks and fix some dents ..   within a month had two people cut me off forcing me to drop the bike, fortunately they were on city streets so not a lot of speed,  first one was like the situation in the jetta but slower and the second one was a bmw who pulled out of a line of cars in the left lane to the right lane...   neither one stopped to see if i was ok..  bike got tore up and rode it as a rat bike until i parked it...  it still sits in the back yard..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

the bike got parked about 5 years ago when i was about to leave for work and it wasn't running right...  i had spent about a year restoring it ( 1982 v45 magna) buying various doodads off ebay..  all i had to do was pull the tanks and fix some dents ..   within a month had two people cut me off forcing me to drop the bike, fortunately they were on city streets so not a lot of speed,  first one was like the situation in the jetta but slower and the second one was a bmw who pulled out of a line of cars in the left lane to the right lane...   neither one stopped to see if i was ok..  bike got tore up and rode it as a rat bike until i parked it...  it still sits in the back yard..

sorry to hear that, thats a good bike

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

sorry to hear that, thats a good bike

yeah,   I could get it going again,  not sure if i want to...  but it still sits there , just in case...    there's nothing like pulling that 4 carb box out from between the v4 heads..   doesn't have rear disc brake,   old school shocks, etc..    

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yeah,   I could get it going again,  not sure if i want to...  but it still sits there , just in case...    there's nothing like pulling that 4 carb box out from between the v4 heads..   doesn't have rear disc brake,   old school shocks, etc..    

Its got a good seating position and good power.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Point Break said:

Man that's true. The department I retired from does a multi event (last minute lane change at 25 mph, backing, slalom, slalom in reverse, opposite alley backing etc) defensive driving course and certification for anyone driving a car or fire apparatus. For the most part each driver is required to perform the course in the vehicle they drive, the single exception is the tillered ladder trucks they don't do all the events, but most of them. The reason for that is you do not want to be in a skid in the skid pan in a tillered apparatus because mistakes are expensive and damage likely to the point of articulation between the tractor and tillered trailer. 

Anyway............I did that course many times and can attest that in the skid pan, even when you know the skid is coming and you have prepared for it and you know you're not gonna hit anything.....it takes real effort and concentration to not lock up and do the instinctive things....that are wrong.

BTW - try the skid pan in a 50,000 pound fire engine!! That is an impressive ride..............

Meh.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

glad you were ok but I also hope you don't ride a motorcycle! No room for assumptions on the bike, any whiff of silliness and you slow to below 30 as fast as you can

A guy who used to race motorcycles on dirt tracks talked about a friend.  A car illegally moved into the HOV lane pushing him into the wall.  

He asked to be helped up to his bike not knowing the damage done.

It's dangerous out there, but other than this damn flu thing, I will take my chances.  It's also rather easy to increase your odds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Drunks tend to fare pretty well.  I had two friends who were at TRW Aerospace and during a slow period worked on signal processing of crash sensor data to determine whether to deploy the airbags.  They looked at all kinds of crash data and said there was always some drunk in a high speed crash that they would have to edit out as they were always unscathed.  

Not always. Newspaper in my town today relates a DUI crash a year ago where 27-year-old guy was driving estimated 127mph on interstate 74, lost control, crossed all opposite lanes, off highway into a ditch. Two passengers in the back thrown out and killed, front seat passenger seriously injured and in hospital for four months, driver now a quadriplegic from shattered spine, can only speak. Trial judge decided he had enough penalty and gave him probation yesterday. He will live in his own prison for the rest of his life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Its got a good seating position and good power.

it had 75hp when new,  got me up to 120 no problem... could lean into a turn, scraped the pedals a few times..    dual power bands is what really made the bike..  keep it under 6 grand and it behaved nicely,   from 6-10 grand you better know what you're doing...   it's a great bike, probably why it's still in the backyard..

Link to post
Share on other sites