I haven't used one but those do look nice.   Based on their load rating (maybe the 14mm at 3,800 kg SWL) I would think it will work.  I like the idea of having a limiter/failsafe on the backstay cascade (like on the 36.7's - photo from internet).  It looks like you might be able to add one through the throat of the Antal SectoRing.

Manual backstay adjuster on a larger boat - Fix It Anarchy - Sailing  Anarchy Forums 

They look similar to the Karver KB and KBr blocks, which are pretty popular in the french offshore fleets. In general I've found Antal products of all sorts to be solid, but often a bit heavy compared to french options.

thanks, a few points one is friction and the other is cost/reliability. My understanding is the under high load these are similar friction to blocks which is good (not sure), there is also low movement so not much heat  in this application which is also good.

Cost, well there is no comparison, once you go to high load blocks from say Harken you are into a hell of a lot more money.  Reliability is important, but my thoughts are that if I am using dyneema (and I am ) then there is little advantage in having components that have infinite lifespan if another component in the system needs replacement every 5 years. So the main point is actually friction. Ive read a bit on google how you lose up to 30% through friction but since these operate differently to a static LF ring I was hoping that they are significantly better. 

2 hours ago, toad said:

thanks, a few points one is friction and the other is cost/reliability. My understanding is the under high load these are similar friction to blocks which is good (not sure), there is also low movement so not much heat  in this application which is also good.

Cost, well there is no comparison, once you go to high load blocks from say Harken you are into a hell of a lot more money.  Reliability is important, but my thoughts are that if I am using dyneema (and I am ) then there is little advantage in having components that have infinite lifespan if another component in the system needs replacement every 5 years. So the main point is actually friction. Ive read a bit on google how you lose up to 30% through friction but since these operate differently to a static LF ring I was hoping that they are significantly better. 

Friction is higher, but not enough to justify blocks if you're shy about the price. Make sure you cover dyneema that the ring will hang from (don't build it like the photo, ironically) as the dyneema provides the low friction for the ring to sping.

Also if you're going to splice on a safety, make sure it goes directly into the eye of the backstay. The 36.7 photo shown will result in a lost mast if the block explodes.

Also note there are other brands available. Morfblock, ino-bloc etc.

HW

For what it is worth, I have Morf blocks all over my boat and am very happy. Replaced mainly ino-rope blocks and found the Morf to be both lighter and much lower friction.

14 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Also if you're going to splice on a safety, make sure it goes directly into the eye of the backstay. The 36.7 photo shown will result in a lost mast if the block explodes.

Good point on the 36.7 block.  I was thinking the odds of the antal ring failing would be pretty slim.   

2 hours ago, yoyo said:

Good point on the 36.7 block.  I was thinking the odds of the antal ring failing would be pretty slim.   

They usually don't. And when they do, its a crushing failure of the sides of the ring collapsing. This would also be a good place for a "sacrificial" loop that takes the chafe/friction loss, that is basketed into the eye of th backstay which also has the safety on it.

Safety can also act as a "max-ease" stop, for top mark roundings.

HW